• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Private RP

Oh yes, I'm sorry. I was thinking to play a spirit of some sort, probably a male who died in WW2 and is trying to get in touch with his family, or either a client who has come to you to talk to a murder victim. Can you help me choose?

Oh my gosh, they both sound so cool. Maybe start with the first one and if we ever get far enough move on to the second? I don't know I definitely want to both eventually. xD

(Okay, I'm probably not the greatest at beginnings but here goes.)

A miserable gray sky looms over a normally bustling city, now quiet due to the threat of an approaching storm. A few stragglers try their best to escape the cold, heading into the nearest shops or resaurants or calling taxis. One woman, wearing only a tank top and a red pair of skinny jeans, and therefore severely underdressed for the weather, tries to do the same, but fails to land a taxi and seems off put with the idea of going into a crowded place. She instead decides just to tough it out and walk. As she tries to take the quickest way back home, the wind picks up and tosses her black hair around, causing it to get in her face and making her more frustrated. As she takes a turn from one street to the next, she realizes that up ahead, to her right, on the same side of the sidewalk that she's taking, is a graveyard. She groans and roles her eyes, quickly crossing to the other side of the road and trying to pass the graveyard before she's noticed.

(No, it's great!)

There was a man in the graveyard, not being visible to the human eye unless he or she had special communications with the dead. He had short, black hair and appeared to be wearing an old uniform, and splotches of blood were clearly seen. He had a look of confusion and sadness looming over his face, and stood in a stiff way. He looked to be about 35 at the most, he died in the prime of his life. The man was at his own grave, reading the words etched into the stone over and over, though it was becoming harder to read as the years passed. He looks up and sees a woman walking through the grave he had learned to love and became offended, though there was close to nothing he could do. He watched the woman carefully and walks after her out of curiosity.

'Oh no.' The woman thought, when she noticed the approaching ghost. She took a deep breath and tried to continue on like everything was normal, like she was normal. Just a normal city citizen on a normal walk home, passing a graveyard, which definitely wasn't filled with ghosts. Ghosts like the one approaching her now. The one she definitely couldn't see. Despite the effort, her body betrayed her, she could help move a little faster, and look in the opposite direction.

The ghost of a man watches the woman more carefully, and notes how she walks quicker. He walks slower and cocks his head in confusion. "You can see me, can't you?" he asks the woman. If she couldn't, no problem. But if she could, that would be a complete game changer. He speeds up and walks with her, a kind smile on his face despite the mixed feelings he was experiencing due to this odd situation.

She keeps up the act for a little longer, hoping he would would eventually leave her be, but soon realizes the level of the ghost's persistence. She glances at him and sighs. She keeps walking in silence for a time, gathering her thoughts and planning her next actions carefully. This ghost already knew her secret now, but she was more concerned about the other ghosts wandering the graveyard. She couldn't help everyone, and she wasn't sure she wanted to. "Please go away." She said to the ghost quietly, still walking on.

"Why?" he questions, dropping the smile he worked to put up in the first place. "Something bothering you? Besides me?" the man keeps asking, not wanting to let this rare opportunity slip through his metaphorical hands. He keeps walking with the girl, unhappy that she came here and didn't even stop to pay her respects, and it stung even more that she could interact with the dead but, to his knowledge, let them be without even a 'Hey, I know you're dead but how's it going?'.

"Look, I know what you want, and the answer is no. I'm not going to help you or any of your 'friends,' so please, leave me alone before any of them take notice of me too alright?" The woman says before picking up her pace again.

The man frowns and stops walking. "Who said that I wanted anything? Do you know how rare it is to have a conversation with someone who is still alive?" he asks, starting to realize what other spirits could have done to her, how they could have worn her out. He shakes his head and looks down. "Treating me like an equal would be nice, but whatever, go on." he says as if he gave the woman permission to leave before returning to his own grave.

'That went easier than I thought it would...' The woman thought to herself. She felt relieved as she saw the ghost go, but couldn't help glancing at him again. She took the time to really look him over, and was surprised to see not only how young he was but also the uniform he wore. She recognized it from various history books, it definitely dated to WWII. She stood there lost in thought for a while. Never had she seen the ghost of soldier before. As far as she knew, any soldier that lingered usually did so on the battlefield on which they lost their life. Yet here was one before her, in the midst of a plenty average city. She couldn't help wonder why, and, as she stood contemplating her next action, she stomped her feet, not liking what she was thinking.

She quickly pulled out a small leather wallet out of her jean pocket and rummaged around inside of it until she found what she was looking for. She snapped the wallet shut and put it back into her pocket and then gathered her courage before entering the graveyard as calmly and confidently as she could muster. She pretended like she was there to pay respects, as not to grab the attention of the other ghosts wandering the graveyard. She could place most of their reasoning for remaining attached to the world of living at a glance, but she was focused on this soldier, whose reason was a mystery to her. She reached his grave which was crudely marked 'Unknown Soldier,' and even went as far as to walk through the ghost standing there to seem more 'normal' than if she had gone around. She shuddered as she did so. 'Man I hate that feeling.' She thought as she set to work scattering petals on his grave. Hidden amongst these petals was a business card. "This is all I can do for now." She whispered to the ghost, not looking up at him and instead focusing on the petals she was throwing on the ground. "The card has an address. We can talk there."

He scowled when the woman walked through him, feeling incredibly offended and hurt. "Hey! Watch it." he mumbled to the girl. The spirit watched the girl spread petals with an eyebrow raised. "You carry flower petals around with you everywhere you go?" he asks as he observed her. He bent down and scooped up the card carefully, reading over it. He realized that she had a business of this, communicating with spirits. 'If she works with ghosts all the time, she should have known that not all of them just want to use her. Maybe she's new, or just hasn't encountered a decent ghost.' the man thinks. He reads and rereads the address, deciding that he would go there later in the evening.

The woman rises from the grave, turns around and looks the ghost straight on. She makes eye contact and hold it for a while. When she looks away, she begins moving forward, through the ghost once again and exits the graveyard, and continues down the sidewalk, once again on the path to home.

He watches the woman walk away before shaking his head as if to wipe the memory of the past few minutes from his mind. He holds the small card in his hand and waits for some time to pass before deciding it was alright to start heading for the place corresponding to the address.

Feeling a sense of relief when she reaches the place she calls home, the woman spends several minutes fumbling with a small keyring filled with keys, trying to find the correct one to open up shop for the night. She already had an idea of who would be her first customer, and figured she had better get inside not only to warm up, but also to get everything she would need prepared. Finally, she stumbles across the correct key, inserts it into the lock and opens the door and steps inside. The interior of her home/shop was small but she considered it cozy. The walls were decorated with tapestries that she had bought off of gypsies, not really because she found them interesting or pretty, but to add a sense of mystery to her workplace, entirely for the clients sake. The floor was littered with piles and piles of books all relating to her work in some way or another. She was pretty sure of that at least, it had been a while since she had bothered to take the time to organize them all. She made her way into a room to the left of the door, stepping in for a moment and quickly returning to the main room with candles and matches. She lit a few and then went to work building a fire in the fireplace. Very old fashioned but not only did it add to the effect of her profession, but it was also better than having to pay for electricity and heat. More than anything though, it kind of h reminded her of home. On that thought she sighed, stepped away from the fire and started skimming through some books while waiting the arrival of her guest.

The man finally arrived to the woman's home or shop or whatever she wanted to refer it as. He simply steps inside and feels his curiosity flourish as he looks around. He looks at the books, tapestries, candles, everything in there as if he were studying for a test. His eyes lock onto the girl and he smiles and gives a wave, knowing for sure that she could see him. "Hope I'm not early." he says to break the ice as he puts the card into his breast pocket after checking it one last time.

(This'll have to be my last post for tonight, I think)

"You're right on time." The woman says, closing the book she was paging through. She gets up off the floor, walks to another pile of books, picks one up and begins paging through that one without sitting down. She was at a loss of where to start. It had been a long time since she had taken a ghost for a client, let alone let one into her home. She needed something, something to break the ice with. "So... welcome, I guess, first of all..." She was struggling. When was the last time she had actually talked to someone, living or dead? "Look I... I've never met a ghost who only wanted conversation. They always wanted something more. Resolution, so they can move on. I... I saw on your grave... They didn't even know your name... Is that why you're still here?"

(Alright. I'm going to continue this tomorrow, if that's okay. Sleep well.)

(Back!)

The man watches as she flips through the pages of a book. "No, I know my name and my personal history, and I don't mind that they neglected to find out my name for a grave, I always assumed that's what would happen. I'm not really here for a specific purpose, not one that I remember, anyways. And if I needed help, I wouldn't trouble you for my own benefit." He concludes with a small smile. "One question, how is business? It looks a little... unprofessional, like you don't have any appointments. How do you make a living off of this?" the man asks while looking around again. "Not to be rude, just curious." he adds on.

She grimaced at even the thought of how her business was going. "I don't really take appointments. People normally stumble upon me some way or another. I do have an ad in the paper, but I've only gotten one phone call from that... As for making my living I find... other ways to make money on top of this." She replied, honestly. She thought about maybe cleaning the place up while she had company that didn't require her constant attention, but dropped the idea, afraid of what she'd find underneath everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back