Praise the Sun! || Dark Souls Discussion

StoneWolf18

Within the Depths of a Dream
Anyone else play? I'm not far in the first, almost done with my first play through on third, ignored the second based upon my friend's suggestion, and can't play Demon Souls due to being an Xbone player.

So, how deep are y'all into lore? Favorite fashion souls? Which NG+? Build? Weapon? Et cetera, I WANNA KNOW!

My apologies, but you ignored the second?...

As I was told, there was a different game director and was terrible. From what I read on it, it didn't really feel like a souls game either. I'm all over 1 and 3 though and would try Demon Souls if I could.

Well, I must say... Your friend doesn't know what they are speaking of. Souls 2 is more of a Souls game than 3. Coupled with the dlc, it is almost as good as the first Dark Souls.

When it comes to lore I'm an encyclopedia for the first two games and demon souls, dark souls 3 I am taking my time getting to know all the lore, or as much as I can

Well, I must say... Your friend doesn't know what they are speaking of. Souls 2 is more of a Souls game than 3. Coupled with the dlc, it is almost as good as the first Dark Souls.

Opinions I suppose. Each to their own.

When it comes to lore I'm an encyclopedia for the first two games and demon souls, dark souls 3 I am taking my time getting to know all the lore, or as much as I can

Yeah, I know you are. >.>

Finally a thread for my main hobby.

Here's my current Fashion Souls from 3 

14563365_1332671826765326_392387376679785807_n_by_iudexmortem-dary84r.jpg

My weapon is Black Knight Sword +5 (I'm on NG+3)

I love all the Souls games. I just wish Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls were on the PS4

As I was told, there was a different game director and was terrible. From what I read on it, it didn't really feel like a souls game either. I'm all over 1 and 3 though and would try Demon Souls if I could.

The second is an interesting ball park. Basically, the base game single player is by far the worst in the series, the DLC singleplayer is fucking fantastic, and the PvP trounces the rest of the games without breaking a sweat, due to the game having the best mechanics (which are, unfortunately, brought down by the single player for a lot of people) and the team that worked on it actually supporting and re-balancing the game for a long ass time.

I really wish people stopped hyping up the game's difficulty to such cringey effects. "Dark souls drilled my asshole and cut me in half", fuck no, you're just bad at video games that don't hold your hand.

Aside, can I also talk about bloodborne? If so, I just started a level 4 playthrough, wondering what I should and shouldn't be allowed to do. right now I'm on a totally new game with the character and just killed the cleric beast with the saw cleaver. I could do a no-gun run so I can't parry anything and have to rely on those rare special situations and backstabbing to visceral shit.

Thoughts?

Only reason I'm talking about Bloodborne is that I got DS3 for my PC and I forgot to level up strength, so to speak. I'm lucky to get 20 FPS... kicks me out of the servers. Finished a playthrough then sort've got bored without any PVP.

I really wish people stopped hyping up the game's difficulty to such cringey effects. "Dark souls drilled my asshole and cut me in half", fuck no, you're just bad at video games that don't hold your hand.

Aside, can I also talk about bloodborne? If so, I just started a level 4 playthrough, wondering what I should and shouldn't be allowed to do. right now I'm on a totally new game with the character and just killed the cleric beast with the saw cleaver. I could do a no-gun run so I can't parry anything and have to rely on those rare special situations and backstabbing to visceral shit.

Thoughts?

Only reason I'm talking about Bloodborne is that I got DS3 for my PC and I forgot to level up strength, so to speak. I'm lucky to get 20 FPS... kicks me out of the servers. Finished a playthrough then sort've got bored without any PVP.

Good luck.

If this is any indication, you're in for a fucking ride. I did a DS1 SL1 play through back in the day, and BL4 looks significantly more nightmarish.

You aren't missing out on munch with DS3 PvP. 

Good luck.

If this is any indication, you're in for a fucking ride. I did a DS1 SL1 play through back in the day, and BL4 looks significantly more nightmarish.

You aren't missing out on munch with DS3 PvP. 

I will not forget our adage. "We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone, by the blood. Fear the old blood."

Men like him are beacons of hope. Sometimes. My asshole is steeled for any occasion, anyway.

I have to disagree. Despite what most might say about the series'  artificial difficulty, it IS actually a challenge that punishes the careless. It's because its a whole new ball park. Yeah there are some games that don't hold your hand such, most commonly of the horror variety, but Dark Souls and its sequels do it differently to a point where being "bad" at its games as such doesn't matter but actually paying attention does.

Example, you're on NG+ 9 and are about to face the first boss, Iudex Gundy. He's not a challenge and rather easy to defeat, as you've done so 17 times (even though he is a bit different in the Untended Graves.) But you keep getting raped because of his damage output and the lack of health you can get to scale with it due to the amount of souls it costs, 

Would "being good" help you there? Possibly, but a bit of luck wouldn't hurt as well.

Just my two cents.

And I'm unable to play bloodborn so if you could, make another thread for it please? Even though they're created by the same people they are two different games after all.

@Windsock

I have to disagree. Despite what most might say about the series'  artificial difficulty, it IS actually a challenge that punishes the careless. It's because its a whole new ball park. Yeah there are some games that don't hold your hand such, most commonly of the horror variety, but Dark Souls and its sequels do it differently to a point where being "bad" at its games as such doesn't matter but actually paying attention does.

Example, you're on NG+ 9 and are about to face the first boss, Iudex Gundy. He's not a challenge and rather easy to defeat, as you've done so 17 times (even though he is a bit different in the Untended Graves.) But you keep getting raped because of his damage output and the lack of health you can get to scale with it due to the amount of souls it costs, 

Would "being good" help you there? Possibly, but a bit of luck wouldn't hurt as well.

Just my two cents.

And I'm unable to play bloodborn so if you could, make another thread for it please? Even though they're created by the same people they are two different games after all.

@Windsock

I'll think of making a new thread for it.

I'm currently having problems with good old Lorian. He's managing to get on every last nerve I actually own. Stupid teleporting limp-legged maggot.

I have some of my boss videos from +3 on Youtube (And one from NG on SoTFS)

I wonder if the... name similarities between bloodborne and dark souls 3 are just signs of Hidetaki and his team doing too much at once or evidence of a deeper connection between the two.

Lorian, Loran, Irithyll, Ihyll, Yharnam, Yhorm (lel, could you imagine Yhorm in Yharnam's dress? Hilarious), and a couple of others I'm sure I've forgotten.

I've tried pretty much almost every build possible in the first game, and the one I found most fun is a basic Holy Knight build (knight armor (either normal or elite), longsword/Astora's, Faith/END), makes the bosses that more challenging, in a fun way, since otherwise I know all of them by memory. Never bothered much with NG+, since I hate difficulty modes that just change enemy health/damage output (I know there's other changes, but NG+ lacks the character progression starting a new game has). I'm way too much into the lore (first game only really, can't be assed to pay much attention to the second one and haven't played the third one yet), which is the reason DS is up there in my list of favorite games.

I mean, the difficulty is basically a meme at this point, but it would be unfair to say the game isn't hard. Like StoneWolf said, it's less about actual skills (aside from bosses and those one or two BS areas) and more about knowing what to do. The first time I played I didn't know what the hell to do, not because the enemies were kicking my ass (the game does a good job of presenting enemies in a way that you can learn and adapt to them before they become more common) but because I didn't know where to go. Really gotta pay attention to what items you get and what the NPCs tell you to do. When you learn the enemy placements, their movesets, and the map, the game is basically a cakewalk, since the combat is that polished.

That's blasphemous talk right there.

I haven't played Bloodborne, since I don't have a PS4 and aren't really planning on buying one, but man, I sure want to sink my teeth in it. Dark Souls + Lovecraft sounds like the perfect combination. And I like how the made the combat that much more fast paced, seems like the way the series should progress, rather than keep the combat identical (or in the case of Dark Souls 2, fuck it up).

I've tried pretty much almost every build possible in the first game, and the one I found most fun is a basic Holy Knight build (knight armor (either normal or elite), longsword/Astora's, Faith/END), makes the bosses that more challenging, in a fun way, since otherwise I know all of them by memory. Never bothered much with NG+, since I hate difficulty modes that just change enemy health/damage output (I know there's other changes, but NG+ lacks the character progression starting a new game has). I'm way too much into the lore (first game only really, can't be assed to pay much attention to the second one and haven't played the third one yet), which is the reason DS is up there in my list of favorite games.

I mean, the difficulty is basically a meme at this point, but it would be unfair to say the game isn't hard. Like StoneWolf said, it's less about actual skills (aside from bosses and those one or two BS areas) and more about knowing what to do. The first time I played I didn't know what the hell to do, not because the enemies were kicking my ass (the game does a good job of presenting enemies in a way that you can learn and adapt to them before they become more common) but because I didn't know where to go. Really gotta pay attention to what items you get and what the NPCs tell you to do. When you learn the enemy placements, their movesets, and the map, the game is basically a cakewalk, since the combat is that polished.

That's blasphemous talk right there.

I haven't played Bloodborne, since I don't have a PS4 and aren't really planning on buying one, but man, I sure want to sink my teeth in it. Dark Souls + Lovecraft sounds like the perfect combination. And I like how the made the combat that much more fast paced, seems like the way the series should progress, rather than keep the combat identical (or in the case of Dark Souls 2, fuck it up).

Dark Souls 2 has the best combat in the series and I will not budge on that statement until I DIE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back