Other POLL: Should there be a politics/debate discussion forum?

Should there be a Debate or Politics subforum under Discussions?

• Yes.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Split.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • NOW THIS IS A STORY ALL ABOUT HOW

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
Tbh if people wanted to discuss politics on a forum, theres a reason why sites like reddit, tumblr, and 4chan exist.
Yes but
would you like to actually have a productive discussion
ninety... four percent of people on here could do that.

Yes but.
would you like to actually have a productive discussion
ninety... four percent of people on here could do that.

I mean its surely higher here, but conversations usually end up the same which is what I'm hinting at. Usually just devolve into a mindless mess of name calling, insults, and the general result of partisan politics. If I were to say post about Trump being justified in ending DACA and tightening border control. Then gave logical arguments like say it forces Mexican Government to take the initiative in making their country less of a "shit hole" for lack of a better term and force them to increase the quality of life for all their citizens, so that they don't have to willingly leave their country in order to pursue a better life. I would in no less than 5 or so posts be called a bigot and racist. Even if we were talking about the other side of the fence and discussing Bernie Sanders policies and why they would be beneficial to the country due to improvements in how welfare would be handled in the United States I'd be called commie scum in the same amount of time.

Political discussions are a lose-lose situation here if there is a forum dedicated to such toxicity as it only serves to degrade a small and tightly knit community. Leave these discussions to be done in private chat or any other site where they can be moderated by whoever is involved.

I mean its surely higher here, but conversations usually end up the same which is what I'm hinting at. Usually just devolve into a mindless mess of name calling, insults, and the general result of partisan politics. If I were to say post about Trump being justified in ending DACA and tightening border control. Then gave logical arguments like say it forces Mexican Government to take the initiative in making their country less of a "shit hole" for lack of a better term and force them to increase the quality of life for all their citizens, so that they don't have to willingly leave their country in order to pursue a better life. I would in no less than 5 or so posts be called a bigot and racist. Even if we were talking about the other side of the fence and discussing Bernie Sanders policies and why they would be beneficial to the country due to improvements in how welfare would be handled in the United States I'd be called commie scum in the same amount of time.

Political discussions are a lose-lose situation here if there is a forum dedicated to such toxicity as it only serves to degrade a small and tightly knit community. Leave these discussions to be done in private chat or any other site where they can be moderated by whoever is involved.
Eh; it depends on the individual. I was able to conduct a long, 1-2 page debate on Trump's wall without even low-key being called a racist or bigot, and we didn't even end it on a sour note. We could probably pick the debate up again naturally and without hostility. Then I replied to one individual once and he called me wrong, stupid, blind, and stubborn and gave himself a pat on the back for being able to tolerate my stupidity, alongside those of every Trump supporter.

But your final sentence does help clarify some ideas. You could have it so that thread posters could be given the option of deleting or editing people's posts; and site moderators and admins could be given an option to view deleted/unedited posts, and have that apply to all types of threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back