• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic 〘POLARIS.〙

Characters
Here
Lore
Here

TIPHERETH
Did you know to describe the Infinite, the Great Unknown, God, the Universe, or whatever labels you may have for the frail human limitation of never knowing all, scholars united important aspects of humanity into one great tree diagram, the Tree of Life. Keter was the head, from where all of existence was being processed. It was the first thing they considered, the origin point from which everything else was divined. Binah was the right eye, connected to the left side of the brain. It represents learned wisdom.

Tiphereth represents the heart, uniting all other parts of the body together in unison. It brings to light the beauty of existence; all is one, and one is all. That all aspects of creation be taken in the right balance given the circumstances.

Now, three guesses, folks. What was the right arm?

. . . . . . . . . . . .

"I appreciate the offer very much so-" she warmly smiled, singing a thousand graces. Her usual coarse, laconic demeanor was discarded, given her prone state. She tried to push herself off the park bench, but the running current of electricity paralyzed her muscles. And in that short moment, it was as if time had all but stopped just for her again.

"...You're pushing it, eh?" a gruff, tomboyish voice rang out.

"Didn't they tell you to take it easy carrying that cross of yours, sister?"

"גְּבוּרָה?!?" Tiphereth's eyes darted around, standing straight up, the limitations placed on her own body seemingly came undone in this vacuum, unbeknownst to the bearer of such nonetheless.

"W-why are you still here? Weren't you the-"

"The first one lost? The first sacrificial lamb? The one who had the guts to enter into that damned chamber first? Nah, you don't remember correctly. I went second, sister. He is the one you're probably thinking of."

*THUD* A duststorm was kicked up in front of Tiphereth's eyes, blinding her view of the park. A brown mist overshadowed the children, forests, and trees. And as calm returned once more, it revealed...

GEBURA
"You've lost your way. All this knowledge you've built up and still not giving yourself what you need."

A woman, draped in the same military coat, embroidered with an "05" on her upper left arm, appeared before the silver psychologist. She reached inside her jacket, and took out a lighter and a cigarette, trying to ignite it, but no spark came. Scoffing, she threw it down on the ground into what would be many pieces but somehow remained intact.

"Can't even move forward in this hell you've created. Take a break once in a while, will ya~? Go outside, talk to people. Live goddamnit." the woman of black hair and red eyes sighed. She manifested a sword, a different sword from the one Tiphereth carried. It was a steel katana; its blade dyed a red crimson and much shorter than the arduous Zewihander her opposite lugs around with just one hand. Tiphereth readied herself, but as she had no practical combat experience, her form was light, she was on her toes, more ready to flee than to fight.

Gebura, noticing the more experienced combatant when they were both younger, took immediate advantage of that. With lightning speed, she disarmed her opponent, sending the unnamed blade flying in the air. Tiphereth tried to will another blade into existence, but once again-- it were for naught. The darker haired girl extended her arm out, pressing her thumb into the albino's forehead.

"Nuhuh. I know where you're going. It's back to work as usual for our beloved tragic heroine. You're going to the library again to study, even after you fucking died. I am not letting you sit on your ass and burying yourself again in your Faustian pursuits." That last sentence gave Gebura a momentary pause, contemplating on how she arrived at that train of thought.

"...'Faustian' Tch. You're not even projecting me correctly; no way in hell I know what that word means."

. . .

. . .

. . .

As time crawled forward again, we were returned to the scene of Tiphreth's electrocution. As her hair stood up from the many voltages of electricity sent throughout her body, her skin became slightly dark, melanated even, as her hair color changed to match the visage of the woman who visited her at that moment when time stopped. No, actually-- it would best be described if her God Program allowed her to transform herself into that person, or at least delude others into thinking they were for a while.

She now comfortably rose; Tiphareth's noticeably darker apparel was replaced with a white buttoned tee. The coat was still the same, but the well-trained eye would notice the embroidered number flipping around. She slowly cracked her neck, tilting it from side to side, and began to stretch as if she had woken up from a bed of rocks. "Damn, that hurt a lot; it must have been my regeneration factor finally kicking in." she absent-mindedly explained. She willed the identical katana and hilt to her side, the same one she drew against her opposite in that dream-like state.

"There's probably a few chinks here and there, but I'm sure it's nothing a good drink can't shake off," she heartily laughed, reaching into her pocket once more, drawing out her lighter and a cigarette. And this time, with a soft click, the flame ignited, taking a deep inhale of the short, filtered cylinder; as she exhaled, a small trail of smoke wafted from the end of it.

"I appreciate the offer earlier, though, almost would have needed it." Smiling, she made her way to her, well-- Tiphereth's usual, a particular Cat-Shack Saloon.

MENTIONS
Norschtalen Norschtalen Clockwork_Magic Clockwork_Magic

Code written by: Pyosimros

Last edited:
Hiberus Shaw, Phobos Itself
Interactions: Clockwork_Magic Clockwork_Magic Mentions: Cookie The Cat;

Shaw had already been into his second or third sip of the beverage when he noticed the server still there. It was only now that she seemed strange. Shaw peered at those felinid auricles, seeming quite organic. The novelty of the moment passed, his head turns back but still lends his own ear to the little feline. A silent ding alerted him that Chomp's message had finally came through the network, it prompted only a slide nod of Shaw's head before the Engineer blinked it away. Knowing Tiphereth then her journey would've likely taken her to a secluded study where she could ponder on the futility of it all. A bark of Shaw wanted to ask her about that ordeal. Death as it were intrigued him already, so to actually see the other side. But that is only the husk of him anyway.

One lenient teasing caused Shaw to snort through his nostrils. What an amusing notion their appearance enlisted then. Coincidental with what Solline mentioned: 'tis an unusual wedge, indeed. The midnight stars turned to follow the sife server, before returning into the whirl of the conical glass. Unlike his companion at the table, Shaw did not focus on the server's parting words. The healing that they could cause with their utterance. A flash of memory, hamstrung by pain, now unlocks for the Engineer.

He is choked. From his lungs, a multi-filter mask rested over his face. From his skin, covered in a head to toe dress of non-porous, thickened materials. The door to the quarantine tent opened with an odd mechanism, Shaw could not quite remember if the material of the tent melted away or slid aside. Inside was their house. The house that he grew up in, or was it a house? Apartment room? Dwelling complex? Whatever it was, a metal plate with riveted bolts remained in front of him. Two men stood aside with weird tools in their hands... Almost like guns, turned and reversed the impacted bolts. The metal plate fell and revealed the door, uncouth he entered through it. Only the husks of them remained, metallized from within without. They told him little remained, had to cut them open with a circular blade to see inside. Nothing left. What does he remember, though? He finally questions. Was this how it was when he saw them that day? It is possible, however his memories are never quite clear before his zenith.

Then the light from within shined. A dark light. A shadow star, if you will. The last drops of the beverage were consumed and Shaw bores an utterance. "The righteous justice shall now come, emboldened by the heart's hair shirt."

Shaw's mouth guards close and he glides the glass away. He then looks around the place, seeing the patrons, the servers, and Chomp himself. He looks back to Solline, confused at his own presence. The Engineer twists his wrist and sees the soft glow of the circular plates just below the palm. Already what he spat was lost to him, but Solline looked to him and asked what does the term family mean to him.

Shaw looked at the blonde, through her teal eyes. Noticing the tipsy sway of the soul. He has got to get people who can hold their drink down these days. "Family..." His tone grew darker than the cold whispers. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a crumpled photo. Its form worn down by all the fiddling and caresses. He unfolded the thing and presented it to Solline. There were five present, with five crosses over them. Four over the chest, but only one on the head and a smudged one at that. "If you want my interpretation of it. Family is... the closest to us. The ones who make up for what we lack and vice-versa. In family, there is no separation only the unity of spirits. And those that we mourn once lost, but can be found again in another." The Phobian paused and breathed deep. "But for me as it applies to myself, to surmise it in a word: Absence. Something that will never come again." In the darkness of the chamber, where his heart was presented on a lance-sword-spear to him and Phobos burrowed deep and cursed him of spiral Destiny, it also bestowed a final tragedy. Devoured by the shadow, the longest of them all."My apologies for that." He retrieves the photo and pockets it again. "If my words didn't provide you the absolution or comfort required."

POLARIS
CH.5 OUR COCYTUS

mXUZem0.png

This is an emergency broadcast from the Polaris High Council.

This is an emergency broadcast from the Polaris High Council.

Sirens and an announcement rang out throughout the vessel, from the highest quality audio equipment used in communication sectors to the most static-riddled old radios broadcasted the message. It has been years, even decades, since such a ubiquitous broadcast has been made, much less one that is considered an emergency. Those who were old enough to remember things two decades prior may have some impression of what this means, those who weren’t would’ve just learned it from books and practice drills.

It was the Extinction Alert, it signified that Polaris’s humanity was being challenged by something potentially extinction bringing.

There have already been winds of it in the few previous days, the repeated seismic activities have put most of the vessel on edge. It was a bad omen, anyone could tell, but those with more years on the belt may put some pieces together.
A dry cough can be heard as the broadcast shifted to another voice, it was a stern yet slightly tired voice. Only those that are hyper-focused on Polaris’ public and governmental affairs would recognize it.

“Ahem. Good morning, humanity of Polaris, this is the 12th Captain, Vinne Valarie speaking.” A figure appeared in the imaged broadcasts, a bespectacled woman with dark red eyes and charcoal-toned hair was in frame. Her expression seemed calm and dignified, but her lifeless eyes, greying skin, and strands of hair that are splitting on their ends gave her a worldly look. Despite her calmness, she looked quite uncomfortable with the situation, like it was something she was definitely unfamiliar with.

But the situation was unusual indeed, the 12th Captain that took up her position 24 years ago is notorious for her reclusiveness compared to her predecessors. It was likely something truly staggering if it managed to get the distant and introverted supreme leader to make a public announcement. Her voice seems to carry the same weariness.

“I am sure the repeated seismic activities in recent times have been of concern, and I am here to deliver the news that this concern is not misplaced. We have confirmed the presence of an active Ecology-Class Hostile Automaton within the current habitable zone.”

It has been 24 years since the last Ecology-Class machines were found, it wasn’t the longest nor harshest battle, but the sheer amount of machines that tried to overrun the Polaris was still seared into the memories of those that may have experienced first hand. That is the nature of Ecology-Classes, it was like fighting the Shell itself. The message sent a chill throughout the vessel, despite the methods developed for dealing with them, the appearance of these machines meant that the destruction of the vessel was always a possibility on the table.

“In 12 hours, the vessel will be going into stasis mode in order to prepare for the upcoming raid. Indefinite night and indefinite winter will be evoked. All residents within 2 sectors of the outer walls must retreat within this time frame, and all non-combatants should prepare to evacuate at a moment’s notice. Please take caution and proceed according to each sector’s evacuation plans.”

It was standard protocol for civilians to retreat to shelters once the combat begin, and it seems like it will begin quite soon.

“All God Program Operators prepare to mobilize, your post assignments will be delivered to you in due time.”

The broadcast was over, leaving a chilly atmosphere as if the indefinite winter climate had already been evoked.

Ecology-Class Raid: Operator Cocytus GPO Mission Assignment

Corebreaker Squad 012 - Class I

Corebreaker
- Scatter and search for the hostile automaton’s “core” or a crucial bit of infrastructure that will disable the functionality of the majority of the system. Class Independent (Or Class I) squads are allowed independent judgment in prescribed areas.

Assigned Squad Leader:
Hiberus Shaw

Assigned Squad Members:
Nero Argen 3rd.gen
Nor Clyde
“Chomp” N/A As.Hephaestus
Fehr N/A As.Ihy
Sisyfu Lann
Solline Nova
Sen De'Facto Oriah
“Tiphereth” N/A As.Sephiroth

Designated Sortie Location: Surface Transportation Base 6

It was the dawn of the big day, the start of the great raid. All the operators of Polaris have been mobilized, although in different locations they face the same machines that threaten the entire population of Polaris. The top platform was full of people, some GPOs and some not, of logistics and scouting operators overseeing the condition and providing backup from a distance. While on the ground around the caravan ports massive base camps filled with vehicles and temporary structures for logistical and medical purposes were set up.

Behind the base came the Polaris was still, it was a rare occasion outside of the Great Excavation to see the vessel completely still. The location it was parked still has an ominous rumble coming from the ground up, the roaring of the Ecology-Class from beyond. It is visible now, although to non-trained eyes it simply looked like one of the mega structures that littered the Shell, pale and grey, A mesh monochromatic plates. But it had a peculiar shape, long and rectangular with mysterious dents and more structures on top of it, it looked almost similar to the Polaris in its silhouette.

The Vanguard squads have already set off, as machines that have taken up residence inside the Ecology-Class have gone into a frenzy since its activation, a few caravans went in and out of the camp delivering personnel and supplies as the Vanguards cleared up the initial waves of small fry to make way for the bulk forces.

“Yo.” A teal-haired caravan driver that may look familiar to a few members present walked up to an area with a sign that said “Surface Transportation Base 6”
“Name’s Mavi! Transporter of Base 6!” She yelled out to the GPOs present.

“I’m in charge of getting your squads to the assault point. Let’s see, we have Shellscorcher Squads 009, 011, 014, Field Medicine 07, and Corebreakers 012, 017. Is everyone present?” Despite not being a GPO, the driver seems to be handling herself incredibly well on the harsh environment of the surface, her voice was firm and unflinching with a rather commanding tone.

A few “Aye”s and “Here”s can be heard from the crowd as more operators checked in while Mavi scrolled around on the list of names she was transporting, she muttered inaudibly to herself as she did it.

“...012, oh, aren’t a few of these people the……hmm, they only have one person with corebreaking experience, oh well, Boss probably knows best.”

TIPHERETH
Am I to bear witness to the destruction of others again? Shall I be an undertaker, denying those whose time has not yet come but carrying with me those who have passed to the afterlife?

Even when I had been offered it myself, I thought the price of it was too steep. I considered giving up my endless pursuit more agonizing than the sweet allure of oblivion. How daring of I to claim that I want to live. Yet-- is there much to live for?

Back at the Saloon, when I let down my guard, where I had stepped down from on High from my pedestal of power and ceaseless knowledge, I confess that I have felt more human, content, and wise than in any of my years of scholarship.

So why. Why do I crave that feeling again?

. . .

Tiphereth had heard of this event. While bland and hollow terminology of the command structure above describes it as an Ecology-Class Hostile Encounter, Apocalypse might be a better term in her eyes. The extinction of all life fascinates her, not because she wants to bring out an end in her own right, but because it reminds her of how self-centered conscious beings are. She does not believe that life will end when we end. We may no longer be able to witness it, but it will continue in different hands. Today, all the operators are working to delay our expiration date a bit longer.

Tiphereth stood in solemn contemplation; her eyes wavered to her left breast pocket where her sidearm was resting. She knew that with the emergence of Geburah, the others would resurface. She thought she had found her inner peace by burying her emotions inside, by not allowing herself to feel. She believed she had rid herself of the chains that bound her and the specters that haunted her. All she could do was pray that no new side characters would come out to play, but... she wasn't holding her breath.

As she noticed who would be taking them out to the frontlines to devise a strategy to disable that machine, she couldn't help but see a constant recurring figure. It seems as if their driver from the mission prior would be their ferryman this time. She curtly announced her presence when Mavi called for it, finding comfort in her assertiveness during this crisis.

MENTIONS
. . .

Nero Argent "Janus"
Interactions: No one

Suffice to say, Nero was excited. She's been on big missions before. She's tested her mettle against machines of all kinds, and has proven herself in all sorts of emergencies. But this was the first time she'd ever be up against an Ecology-Class. There was only so much one can train for, read about, and prepare until it finally hits you. Nero would like to think that she was ready, but truth was she was terrified. And that made her excited. As soon as the Polaris was aware of the threat, Nero spent nearly every waking hour assisting in the assault preparations, doing any drills or training available, and keeping her skills razor sharp. She sleeps at least 8 hours a day, eats three meals, and makes sure to take time to relax. Strong in body, strong in spirit.

Because this may be the last time Nero would know peace. Or be in one piece.

And this was because Nero intended to join the Corebreakers. She wasn't going to hear anything else but that. She would desert if it means getting a chance to dive right into the belly of the beast. Her entire existence leads up to moments like these, and she wasn't about to be put on the backlines. Once Nero had sorted out her last will and testaments, she would join everyone else at the rendezvous point. She looked at all the GPO's gathered there and wondered how many of them will she see if she comes back. Will there be a new generation of GPO's after this mission? Will there even be a Polaris after this? "Whatever. That's not important right now anyways. What is important, is how am I going to bust this machine sky high?"

After the vanguards left to clear a path, Nero joined up with a caravan that would follow after the vanguards. The leader of this crew seemed to be a regular human named Mavi, who was jovial about the whole situation just like Nero. When she did roll call Nero loudly and happily called out her name. "Nero Argent, reporting for duty! Nice to meet you all, my GP's the Janus, I can create portals that can help you move around in a pinch. But my real weapon is this here CZ35 Defender autocannon. Just leave the swarms to me!"

Interactions: Norschtalen Norschtalen Mentions: Clockwork_Magic Clockwork_Magic (Solline) ;

The engineer's abode provided fewer and fewer accommodations, of the spirit not material, these past few days. It is not the tremors, not the inexpensive circuitry shorting, or the fact that the isolation layers in the walls may have been breached but... It feels emptied. Shaw catches himself standing in the centre and watches. Listens. Only for nothing to retort, to jostle him awake. A cold shiver snakes its way down the spine. Attempts to brush it off have been futile; alcohol, training, tinkering, reading nor... pain help. The cut on his hand from the Cat Shack, it reopened. It pulses, but does not bleed. The hand shakes like the tremors as it rises to remove the darkened visage. He places the helmet onto the circular table, next to bottles and a serrated knife.

"Activate: Vocal Journal, Archive as Log 570... Append additional appellation: Lev;" Shaw pauses in his dictation. "...Eighty-seven hours, fifty-two minutes, and thirty-three seconds have passed since previous journal entry. Reason:" The steel in his stomach was vacant. "Scatteration." Shaw drags a bottle, its glass frame reflecting the midnight eyes lodged in that skull. "In these recordings which act as my chronicle, one claim omnipresent as the void of space is: There is no greater ability than the power of a God Program. The question is leveled at it, a question of veracity?" Shaw inhales the stale air in his home, yet it tastes sweet. Apply playback scrambling to the following eleven words— The existence of a necromancer, one who could reanimate the deceased, confoundedly never elevated or reinforced that claim. Indeed, the opposite occurred. I had informed the Sniper of my contentment, indirectly, with a solitary life. However, as I dwell on the words and the actions thereafter, I am... perplexed. My guard lowered unexpectedly, I had swam above the ocean. For the briefest of moments, it is a sobering experience moreso than this laceration. But I cann-" As the Engineer was about to continue his observations. A siren noised an interruption so loud and proud and panicked. Emergency Broadcast. Shaw immediately replied. "Remember reference point, erase the last 2.7 seconds, cease recording." The Operator stood up and began to listen to the Captain's broadcast. A sigh escaped him as he readied himself.

----

Shaw stood amongst familiar faces. Of course, brandishing that mask which has become synonymous with his being. Although those that knew him personally or professionally would be surprised to find him sporting accessories of war. Notably, an automatic rifle with gray splotched flakes, extended magazine, and a longsword with a guard uncharacteristically hi-tech as opposed to the rest of it. Shaw stood at attention with folded arms. Awaiting orders whilst contemplating the panicked, tensed atmosphere. An Ecology-Class Hostile Entity. Though the terminology had been technical and sterile, it still elicited that all familiar feeling and in a greater way than Shaw ever could; the fear of Death. For a moment, he considered how that instinct is all-pervasive in the conscious beings. Blest be the ties that binds. A passage from a hymn he remembered, it seemed apt at the time.

Until Shaw's attention was grabbed by a certain familiar voice. It was Mavi, the caravan transporter from the mission. When he was deep in the bottle, a thought had occurred to him then. This woman lied... Replaying the entire mission in his head and the debrief after that, he noticed a contradiction. She at the time said an order from Polaris came to withdraw, but one of the communications specialist said that channels were down from the seismic activities or magnetic interference. So why did she add that one lie at the end? Shaw could only speculate, but the highest reason had to have been legitimacy. Weight to her words. Or perhaps, it was simple panic and stress-induced imagination took over from there. He'll see after this.

It came time for roll call, Shaw replied in a dry but efficient manner. There had been a member of enthusiasm, a new one to Shaw. A Nero Argent. "Salutations,
l'argenterie. The name is Hiberus Shaw, Phobos. According to the roster form, I am the designated leader for this sortie's squad.
" Says Shaw in that patented loud-whisper of his, examining the list in the HUD of his helmet. What misfortune befell him. This will be an organisational ordeal.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 12.09.14 PM.png
Solline Nova
Interactions: Nero ( Norschtalen Norschtalen ), Shaw ( Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian ) | Mentions: Tiphereth ( BnemonicDevice BnemonicDevice )

'Finding out though that you’ve found a new place to call home while she’s left burying herself in her work.'

'She probably hates you for finding some semblance of success.'

The blonde collapsed onto her couch as she recalled Gebura's words, staring blankly at the ceiling of her apartment after arriving home from the little gathering at the Cat Shack Saloon. It'd been nearly 3 years since her attunement to the Dolos GP, yet it barely felt much has changed since then, that she has changed much since then. Indeed she did find a place to call home, as the Sefira surmised, however could she still call that place home after retreating into oh so familiar isolation? Would they let her after she pushed them away? Can one really call it a success if one let go of it before they truly attained it with no guarantee to regain it? Solline closed her eyes, hazy memories of her time with Luna and Aurora flashing through her mind for a few seconds before eventually fading into memories of Vesta, Eimi, and Celeste.

12th of the Dolos line. Second eldest of the Nova family. Whenever asked, Solline always introduced herself as the former label, but in the Saloon that she permitted herself to use the latter to Gebura and Shaw, but why? Why then? With her thoughts and feelings scrambled, she gently clutched her head with a hand and let out a sigh.

'It’s okay not to know what to do…' The albino psychologist's words rang through her head as she lied there for what felt like a long time, with nothing but the semi-tranquil urban ambience around her to keep her senses stimulated.

What am I doing...? What have I been doing all this time...?

That urban ambience was abruptly interrupted by a loud siren, snapping Solline out of her contemplation. The Extinction Alert. The blonde quickly sat up and listened intently to the captain's broadcast. She steeled herself and started to prepare her equipment, tabling her thoughts due to the gravity of the situation, save for one subconscious conviction: she will not lose another set of siblings.

As she looked around the base camp, Solline was met with the sight of quite a few familiar faces, which really came as no surprise. After all, every Polaris GPO was mobilized for the raid so it was a guarantee she would see this lot again, though looking over the name roster of her assigned squad again she did find it a little curious that half of the squad were composed of people she already knew. Heck, even their driver was the same as the last squad. Trivial were these details were though and there more important things for Solline to direct her attention to, which at the moment was roll call.

The first to introduce themselves was the albino psychologist. The blonde recalled the entire ordeal at the Cat Shack Saloon the other day, producing a smirk on her face before it quickly disappeared. The second to introduce themselves seemed full of energy, even enthusiastic, a bit more what Solline thought warranted given the situation. After Shaw's go, Solline spoke. "Solline Nova, present." She turned to where Shaw and the unfamiliar GP, who had introduced herself as Nero. "So you're squad leader, eh Shaw? Try not to get us killed." The second statement had a hint of a teasing tone underlying it along with her usual one. She turned to Nero. "So, portals, huh? Didn't know a GP like that existed. I'm the operator of the Dolos GP, lets me control digital systems in the Shell. And as you can probably tell from the rifle over my shoulder, I'm a sharpshooter."

gnXohSv.png

Interacting with: Everyone in general.

Chomp had a lengthy conversation with Retsu about the nature of his mission. Nothing about it was explicitly confidential, so Chomp felt little reason to keep any of it a secret, though he didn't mention anything about the Xun, the life bringing GPO. Still Retsu was oddly well informed about what had happened, or at least seemed to be able to fill the gaps easily enough. She already suspected that the mission in question was deliberately vague on details, something that Chomp could not verify but certainly felt it was both too coordinated yet at the same time obfuscated. She also was able to guess Xander's existence: apparently Retsu did her own homework and contacted every known outpost nearby, and none of them reported any bizarre or dangerous activities. So she already narrowed down that whoever sent the signal was not from a nearby outpost, but a survivor from one much further away who was deliberately avoiding any actual outposts to reach the Polaris directly. Now this Chomp couldn't verify, though he suspects that Xander wasn't intentionally avoiding finding other Outpost, he simply lacked the means to find those outposts. Chomp collaborated as much.

Ultimately, what Chomp said to Retsu wasn't nearly as important as what Retsu said to Chomp. She had a lot of questions and a lot of doubts. She made Chomp begin to question... More than he usually does. What exactly he's doing. What exactly was the government doing. Ordinarily Chomp never cared about what his superiors were planning, but with recent going ons, Chomp was beginning to suspect that there was a lot more at play than just survival. Chomp certainly didn't intend to be someone's pawn. But truth of the matter was that he knew nothing, and gathering information was not easy. Everything was on a need-to-know basis and Chomp, despite being a GPO, was never actively involved in any intelligence operations. Though considering recent events he was starting to think he ought to. He hates going into situations blind and dumb.

Over the course of the next few days, Chomp began to redirect his attention from his usual routine. He started being seen at the Cat Shack Saloon less, as well as the residential district in general. Instead he mainly focused his time either working with his Science Team to improve his equipment, and research. He began to delve into whatever archives or resources he could access. His Auxiliary nature would enable him to read data at a far faster rate than most organics could, and anything he could not immediately remember he would save in an external hard drive so he can quickly access the information at a moment's notice. He needed to gather whatever intel he could get on potential enemies in the future, as well as past operations and the history of other GPO's. Not just the personal histories of the operators, but information about the previous holders as well. Chomp needed to know what exactly he was dealing with, now that there was so many more unknown variables being flung about. He could leave nothing to chance.

Between his personal research, he has been extensively modifying his body with the science team. After turning in combat data about his Impact Edge, they upgraded it's durability to make it into a more suitable shield should Chomp need to use it defensively again, which had the added benefit of being sturdier and holding it's edge more easily during rigorous combat. There was also upgrades to Chomp's body that they finally managed to make a breakthrough with. Using the combat data he had obtained from the previous mission, they created a series of thrusters built into his armor around his legs, feet, and body. These thrusters had enough force to lift Chomp slightly, even allowing him to hover. While they weren't strong enough to provide him the jumping ability his rocket pack would provide him, they would prove instrumental in granting him some much needed stability and maneuverability that he otherwise lacked. The thrusters built into his feet also would enable him to hover over long terrain to increase his overall mobility. And of course, their potency as a drive also made them potent weapons. While lacking range, any enemy caught near the exhaust of his thrusters when active would be burnt and slagged by the sheer energy outputted from the thrusters. Indeed, Chomp would need extensive practice to get used to using these thrusters himself, to be mindful of where he puts his body and equipment less he accidentally burn something.

All of this built up to a momentous task. The destruction of an Ecology-Class Hostile Automatron. Something that Chomp has actually be researching about as he was looking into potential causes of the quakes. He made sure to learn the previous histories of other Ecology-Classes, the tactics used against them, and the tactics it used against the Polaris. His schedule was otherwise unchanged however: Chomp continued to consult with his science team on upgrades, and continued his research into the databanks of the Polaris. However there was one new thing he now had in mind: He wanted to access the databanks within the Ecology-Class. A risky, quite possibly suicidal manuever on Chomp's part. The dangers such a machine poses cannot be overstated, and even Chomp, for all of his combat upgrades, would be but a pebble compared to the might an Ecology-Class Hostile Automaton could bring to bare. But that might was exactly what Chomp was looking for, because it was missing from the Polaris databanks. Missing, or possibly hidden from him.

And so Chomp would join the team back with Mavi and likely the Nightcrawler. He did note a few new faces, but most were ones he was recently acquainted with. This was certainly serendipitous considering that he usually never work ops with the same GPO beyond clearing carriers from the Polaris. Once was a coincidence, but twice was a pattern. Still he should introduce himself and his function to the newer members of the group. "CHOMP. GOD-POWER HEPHAESTUS. I AM ABLE TO CONSUME AND RECYCLE INORGANIC MATERIALS TO CREATE NEW OBJECTS SUCH AS WEAPONS, AMMUNITION, OR OTHER SUPPLIES AS NECESSITY DEMANDS. I AM EQUIPPED WITH HEAVY ARMOR AND ANTI-MATERIAL MELEE WEAPONRY. I WILL ALSO CARRY SUPPLIES AND RESOURCES WE MAY NEED ON OUR MISSION."

POLARIS
CH.5.1 OUR COCYTUS (2)

“Alright alright, seems like we’re in order-” Mavi clasped the digital ledger with the squad assignments close and clapped her hands a few times nonchalantly. “It’s probably not my place to say this to any of you, but let’s try not to get too reckless with things.” She said half-heartedly while glancing around the gathering crowd, and her gaze set upon a few familiar faces that certainly left an impression from a while prior.

“For the mission briefing, we will be taking a route secured by the vanguards to-”

3wNBlbQ.png
Just as the transporter was about begin with the mission briefing, a smudge of red dashed into the small crowd that has gathered, stumbling a bit before halting itself.

“R-Reporting in! I’m Sisyfu Lann of the Signal Analysis Department, with Corebreaker 12! And this is my GP, Kármán, we’ll assist with finding the core as well as being the contingency destruction protocol!”

It was a girl with bright red hair, though parts of the roots were showing a shade of dark brown instead, indicating that the red colouring is likely artificial. She had a hovering drone with her that made a strange series of sounds as she introduced herself.

“████████!”

“Kármán says…emm, on standby? I think, I never really learned what the frequencies mean that well, haha. But this is just a proxy device anyways, the real Kármán is up there.”
She added on quickly while pointing to the sky. A satellite type God Program, those were not uncommon amongst device-based GPs. Those vested in Ecology-Class raid history may understand what “contingency destruction protocol” means, as there were multiple instances in the past where the Ecology-Class was destroyed through a satellite crash from orbit when all efforts on the surface failed, it was sacrificing a God Program and its future to ensure the success of the operation.

“O-oh right, I was late because of a medical thing I got called in for, I have documentation for-”

Mavi sighed, she looked a bit annoyed at the antics going on.

“You’re not late, barely, but not. Let’s just continue the mission briefing, how about that?”

Behind her a rough map of the area surrounding the Polaris and the Ecology-Class was pulled up, it is titled: Ecology-Class Raid 12-01 “Cocytus”. A route was highlighted that led into the interior of the machine from what seemed like an exhaust vent.

“This is one of the routes that the vanguards have secured, the West exhaust vent entrance, it’s one of the fastest ways inside and is generally freed of dangerous, but it’s limited to GPOs with at least standard (5) physical enhancement or regeneration factor due to the highly heated winds it periodically sends out. It can go up to 150 degrees and stretches for like, 2500 meters? Heat resistant coating and wrapping would be distributed in the caravan, use it sparingly though, there are other squads I need to get in there. ”

A spot inside the machine at the end of the trail became highlighted.

“Vanguards have managed to set up a field medicine camp here after pushing through. Those of you with standard physical enhancements should be fine most of the time, the rest of you can take a break after you get in to let your bodies heal up any burns if you need to. Just hope they're not more stingy with their supplies than I am.”

The map and presentation closed, but a copy of the map was sent to everyone. Although it doesn’t seem like much help currently as all the features marked on it were quite obvious, it is getting steadily filled with more information as other squads around Polaris made individual advances in the area. Codebreaker squads did not have cartography listed as one of their duties due to the importance of their inherent mission, but it wouldn’t hurt to mark down anything of importance.

“We’re getting close to the scheduled time, any questions can be asked en route guys, let’s get out there!”

As the extended caravan, the Nightcrawler with an extension attachment to hold more people and supplies, moved towards the great machine, the brittle and thin air of the Shell actually became a bit more bearable. There was warmth in the air, like the artificial spring on Polaris when resources were plentiful. However the smell was not nearly as pleasant, as a strange smell that was of metallic shavings, burnt plastics, and maybe a bit of charred flesh floated towards the vehicle. The towering structure of the Ecology-Class getting closer and closer didn’t help with the air flow at all, instead it made all the strange warm smells gather and fester at its bottom.

“Don’t worry Kármán, Miss Mir said that if you can go to space a little heat is nothing for you!” The red haired girl petted the drone like some sort of companion automaton rather than a God Program. The drone responded in the same frequencies that non-experts in Shell cryptology would never be able to understand.

As the caravan pulled up to the great tall wall of the Ecology-Class, of “Cocytus”, a round exhaust can be seen embedded in the machine’s outer walls. It was about the same size as Polaris’ largest exhaust pipes, which means quite large, equivalent to four or five stories of the residential towers at least. The heat was similar to, as any person who’s taken a trip outside of the Polaris knows, even if it’s not dangerous if you are near the vessel, do not go close to the exhaust vents unless you want to be cooked. Mavi lounged in the driver’s seat, it was hard to tell what she was thinking as the caravan came to a halt. She seemed uncharacteristically demotivated as she tapped her finger on the caravan’s control panel.

“Okay? What are you guys waiting for? I’m not a GPO you know, I can’t get off or else I’d be baked.”

Once the group got off and stood in front of the entrance, they would feel the already quite blistering heat that radiated from the large hole-in-the-wall unless their physical abilities protected them enough to smother it into a dull tingling. Occasionally a piece of debris fell out with the heated wind, sometimes even the carcass of a hostile automaton that was caught in the heated exhaust and got their internal mechanisms fried. But regardless, it was the easiest way in to the deeper part of the machine, only accessible to the chosen few.

Last edited:
Interactions: Clockwork_Magic Clockwork_Magic Lucius Cypher Lucius Cypher Ehb Ehb BnemonicDevice BnemonicDevice Mentions: Cresion Breezes Cresion Breezes ;

The assembly of operators is more than dependable in Shaw's eyes, barring the eccentricities of their chief psychologist and two of the unknowns, the mission should proceed smoothly. As smoothly as a rusted door hinge since this is still an Ecology-Class entity, its destruction would not be an easy task. However, Shaw possesses just one reservation about this entire endeavour; what possessed the algorithmic forces and tactical acumen of the selection process to install him as Squad 12's leader?! It felt so ephemeral, not properly settled just what he had been saddled with. Felt as though he was in one of his migraine-inducing, jaw-clenching, bile-spewing, memory-lapsing prophetic visions yet terribly real and moving. He would not tell them that he feels unprepared for the mission—No... For this role, how could he? A quiet, almost imperceptible sigh escaped him.

Ironically, it had been Solline that jogged his mindset awake with a snide stab at him. "No securities, Solline." Said Shaw with a mirthless tone, he swept his midnight vision across them. Noting the few of them with less-than-stellar survival inclinations. He adjusted the blade by his hip with a half-hearted motion as the navigator began briefing them on their mission, a crimson streak stumbled into their gathering prompting Shaw to swivel his head to the disturbance.

A girl with dyed hair, evident by the roots, arrived proclaiming identity and station. Her antics did not elevate Shaw's initial estimation of their chances, but as well did not lower them. And despite what Polaris Education Indices might have you believe, you do not need to be born of keen deduction and intelligence to know what 'contingency destruction protocol' or versed in history. Shaw extended a nod. "Welcome."

Mavi listed off the details that their excursion would wring on their bodies, he began to formulate an entrance plan. Two-point-five kilometres of distance followed by periodic waves of heat. He did not care for his wellbeing at the moment, though it is obvious that he won't be threatened. His attention was then transfixed to the glowing spot on their shared maps. Medicine camps, an interesting convenience for God Program Operators to establish. He supposes it is for those with a lower regeneration score.

Shaw had chosen not to utilize the fireproofing material on himself, leaving more for the rest. They'd arrive at the infiltration point and Shaw breathed deep the warmth of the exhaust. If he hadn't been on assignment, this would have been nostalgic for him. He noticed how Sisyfu continued to speak with her drone, regarding with only a curious look. His helmet could decipher the frequency between her and the drone, but that would be devoting computational resources for an unimportant task at the moment.

"As you say, spinner." Shaw shot a line at Mavi before stepping off the caravan and meandering towards the edge of the torrid vent.

He looks back to the squad behind him. Extending his hand, Shaw hones the technological forces of Phobos. A swirl of digital fractals condense in his hand for one minute. A hexagonal shield two meters (6.5 feet) wide and 1.8 (5.9) meters tall. "Those with lower tolerances follow my lead." His voice overpowered the rhythmic venting of the exhaust behind them but not loud like yell. With heavy shield beside him, Shaw fired off a beginning nod then fell backwards into the exhaust's maw. "Now the grigori see us." He says aloud, though no one would hear him through the falling.

Solline Nova
Interactions: Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian | Mentions: Pretty Much Everyone (In particular Kloudy Kloudy SirDerpingtonIV SirDerpingtonIV )

"Heh, fair enough." The blonde replied with a smirk at Shaw's response to her jab before Mavi once again got the attention of the gathered GPOs to begin the briefing, however an unfamiliar red headed GPO dashed into the gathered crowd before their caravan driver could even properly finish the first sentence. Solline usually wouldn't give such an interruption much of her attention if it weren't for the GPO in question's companion, with the drone and its enigmatic sounds holding the blonde's attention during the late comer's self-introduction. Sure enough, the girl was one of the 4 unfamiliar GPOs in their squad, introducing herself as being the 'contingency destruction protocol.' It doesn't take a genius to figure out what that implied, but hopefully they wouldn't have to resort to that option.

Just as Sisyfu was going to elaborate on the medical stuff that caused her to be late, their caravan driver cut her off and finally began the actual briefing, Solline listening intently. The exhaust vent they would be using to enter the Ecology class would be accessible to Solline, though just barely so its sure to be a painful experience navigating through the tunnel. As Mavi finished the bulk of the briefing, Solline took a look at the map that had been sent to them, eying the highlighted location of the field medical camp established by the vanguard teams. Considering the blonde's stats, a little stop there might be necessary to let her regenerative factor catch up with the burns or other injuries that she may sustain in the exhaust vent.

Solline was silent for the entire duration of the caravan ride to the Ecology-class, not having any questions lingering on her mind that were worth asking Mavi about or any thoughts that needed to be vocalized. Their proximity to the hostile machine brought about a growing warmth accompanied by a peculiar smell, both increasing in intensity as they got ever closer. Solline wordlessly looked over the assembled team in the caravan once again, first glancing over at Sisyfu talking with her drone companion before turning her attention on the remaining unfamiliar operators, one being dressed in what seems like a spiritual garb of some kind while the other was yet another operator that wore a full helm.

As the caravan came to a stop, Solline put on her goggles, fiddling with its sides as she did so to check that they were working and calibrated properly before standing to disembark. "Yea, yea, going." The blonde said in response to their driver as she got off.

The warmth from before had been replaced with a blistering heat and the smell was even more pungent than before, which only added to the discomfort caused by the heat. The first to act was Shaw, conjuring hexagonal shield to help with the heat. "I'll be right behind you." Solline responded as she formed up behind Shaw and his shield, waiting a bit before following him as to leave room for any operators who were less tolerant to the heat than her to take a closer position behind the shield.

TIPHERETH
Tiphereth looked anxiously out of the window. While she had put on her 'yeah, business as usual' face and a smile from ear to ear, she was still concerned. She pondered about why she was assigned to the corebreaking team when her capabilities made her a staple for a medical team. Yet, she was here going into the belly of the beast. Mentally, she compared a list of reasons why she would be picked to do such a thing. but nothing added up.

Assuming higher-ups think all the time rationally is a dangerous assumption, she concluded, smirking to herself. There wasn't any practical use in her mulling over the particulars any longer as they finally reached the exhaustion chamber of this gargantuan machine.

- - -

Tiphereth, suicidal as she was, wasn't foolish enough to forgo the application of the heat-resistant spray. Even if she had miraculous regeneration, her constitution was akin to tinder in a fire; her body would be (and almost was) set ablaze as soon as she set foot out of the caravan. All that regeneration would give her new skin cells to be burnt off again.

In her hands, a katana manifested itself, reaching from her midriff to just above her ankles. As she closed her eyes, entering into a contemplative state, a ringing noise could be heard, near-deafening for a brief moment but reducing down into the buzzing of a gadfly in the next. Similar to how she was intoxicated during her brief interlude at the Cat Shack Saloon, now that she was channeling her regenerative factor in an area, the only thing that could be done was to allow Gebura to do the rest of the work.

"I'm able to share my regenerative factor with those who receive any excess burns," the samurai hummed. "Holler at me if you need a quick fix," she explained, standing in the back, not directly in front of Shaw's shield, but more or less straying away from the frontlines.

MENTIONS
. . .

Last edited:

gnXohSv.png

A few new additions were add to the team last minute. Considering the emergency of the situation, it wasn't unusual to have to work with unfamiliar faces at a moments notice. The fact Chomp recognized anyone at all was quite a miracle considering the circumstances. Though Chomp was somewhat unnerved by the GPO accompanying as the contingency destruction protocol. He wonders what she could do, and if it's something that Chomp could reasonably survive in the event it has to be used in any case, it was time to focus on the mission.

Arriving to the area of operation the team broke through allied lines and approached the Ecology Class. Their point of entry was an exhaust vent. Chomp was familiar with the hazards of such things: his own rockets operate with the expectation that their own exhausts can double as weapons, and he has no doubt this machine is just as capable. They would have to take advantage of the fact it is only recently awoken and likely has t fired up all of it's engines yet, and thus the exhaust may be survivable. But no less deadly.

Fortunately such circumstances were no stranger to Chomp while his armor plating is more resistant to the subzero tempatures common throughout Polaris, it's tempatures regulating properties also does give him some notably protection. Additionally with the upgrades added to his Impact Edge, the broad side of the weapon can easily function as a heat shield to dull the thermal energies that eventually would engulf his body. Thus Chomp had no need to apply any heat spray and would utilize his considerable bulk and size to provide a other shield for others, diving into the depths alongside Shaw.

"I AM CAPABLE OF PROVIDING PROTECTION FROM INTENSE HEAT AS WELL. STAND BEHIND ME AND SHAW FOR AN INCREASE IN SURVIVABILITY."

POLARIS
CH.5.2 OUR COCYTUS (3)

A bright red spark flew past the moving group ahead, Sisyfu hopped from pile of rubble to half-rusted metal boards while the blistering heat seems to have caused smoke to rise from the tips of her bright red hair. Although the girl herself didn’t seem to mind much as she snuffed out any potential flames with her hands, the blistering burns quickly returned to normal after coming in contact with the waning flames. Whenever a more heated gust of exhausted wind poured from the depth of the vent, the drone that she carried would swoop in front of its owner and redirect some of the hot air currents in a rather elegant pattern of aerodynamics. It echoed in the heated metallic maw and rushed outside, only to be disappeared by the brittle cold of the outer world. It was ironic that heat, one of the most important resources for survival upon the Shell’s surfaces, would be so deadly in its excess.

“Ehhwe…It’s not that bad…yeah.” She mumbled after a particularly harsh current crashed against the traveling squads. Although there were complaints and more mumbles coming occasionally from the venturing team, overall the personnel choices made to take this route have been filtered and vetted properly so that no one would sustain damages that would put them out of commission. The only barriers were more psychological ones as the depth of the exhaust vent was nothing but a faded dark circle as far as the eye could see. There was no way that the unassisted sight, not with something as simple as a spherical chunk made out of water and protein, or the most polished aspherical lens could see what lies beyond.

But the group, so tiny in comparison to the massiveness of the exhaust vent and the Cocytus in its entirety, was luck. They were not unassisted after all.

[Bzzt-] The (hopefully heat-proofed) communications systems sprung to life.

[-“H-Hey! Any team in the A-2 Exhaust Route, this is Vanguard Squad 7, we’ve disturbed a Floaters’ nest while advancing and they’re heading out to the nearest exit, brace for the impact. A few of them might get taken out by the heat but Floaters are built differently…-”]

There was quite a bit of chaos in the background noise of the transmission, even on top of the static caused by layers of reinforced walls and unknown electromagnetic fields between the teams.

[- “What do you mean ‘we disturbed’? It’s that new guy from Solaris, I thought he was suppose to be experien-”]

The static-y transmission was overpowered by a shout from the front, where Sisyfu and her drone, Kármán, which seems to be glowing a bit brighter than it was before and making a soft sound that is barely audible with all the chaos going on, turned around and pointed into the dark abyss of the exhaust vent.

“Guys, readings! There’s something up ahead! No, wait, it’s more like a swarm of something up ahead!” A spark can be seen flickering from a device hung around her neck, it was a standard-issued communicator earpiece that seems to be fried by the heat.

In a few moments as the party braced themselves, what this “swarm” was eventually showed itself. A cloud of drone-like automatons jolted around the exhaust pipe and stumbled forward, as if they were escaping something. A few seemed to be slower or more sluggish and even fell out of the air, clunking into the ground under the intense heat or winds. They were large, usually as large as an average person from across, and some carried bits and pieces of metallic rubble entangled in their carbon nylon cargo straps. Despite being weighted down, they continued to fly ahead, being the autonomous machines they were.

Normally, a Floater swarm of this magnitude would be considered a treasure trove, as the light yet durable “float substance” they contain was an important industrial material. But this wasn’t an occasion where there could be the luxury of harvesting automatons going on. And besides, the major weakness of float substance was its property of completely disintegrating under intense heat and friction. In this situation, however, that might be a positive.

Interactions: Clockwork_Magic Clockwork_Magic Lucius Cypher Lucius Cypher BnemonicDevice BnemonicDevice Mentions: Cresion Breezes Cresion Breezes ;

Shaw shouldered against his impromptu heat-shield, along with Chomp providing additional protection to his squad against the exhaust belching sweltering—blistering heat. A thin howl filled his earlobes through the helmet's sealed environment, the Engineer wrote down a mental note to tighten up the helmet's tolerances once this mission is done and over. Occasionally, he turned his head to glimpse the squad's position and adjusted accordingly with turns of his limbs, akin to a skydiver.

As it pertains to the descent, there had been no difficulties but Shaw did not dare to speak it aloud or over the communication link between them. By his estimate, they've barely passed over the five hundred metre mark of the exhaust's vast passage so effectively they are not out of the dreary woods yet.

Until their communication system sprung to static life.

The midnight blue orbs housed in the triangular slits of Shaw's helmet appeared to squint and roll with annoyance, almost as if they could express themselves. Shaw moved with swiftness as the transmission continued. His legs, aided by the enhancements, whipped themselves beneath Shaw. The soles of his boots touched shield and with a little rearrangement of the Engineer's design formed clamps to fasten him. He drew the rifle from his back with practiced precision, then pointed its muzzle to the interminable abyss.

Just as their new addition, Sisyfu, shouted a warning. Shaw hissed a vocal command to his helmet. "Fearsight." The helm's visual spectrum shifted once again, chasing the darkness of the exhaust away and drawing lines of blue highlighting the geography. And the swarming forms of several thousand Floaters!

Shaw's neck jerks back violently. Battle-hardened instincts took over immediately, his body goes limp to soften the blow to his head. Completing a full rotation, the shield aimed towards the bottom again. The left lenses caved from the impact. Half-blinding him via gouging his left eye out. This dishevelment did not deter him. He returned fire instantly; regain control and escalate the force. This felt eerily like the cliffside stampede, he hopes that this is where the peculiarities of that mission to this ended. Though oddly, Shaw recalled the mention of "new guy from Solaris" over the transmission.

If Nexian is here then coincidences are stacking up unfavourably.

"Chomp. Solline." Shaw called their names in a loud, mechanical manner. "Form an element. Clear the Bandits. Mind the Red Blur." He commanded with a mirthless tone. His finger pressed against the rifle's trigger. Discharging armour-piercing rounds with automatic rhythm. It sounded like a drummer rapping a specific set over and over.

Shaw then gazed upwards, one shining blue eye. "Samurai, center yourself between us. We could use the regeneration."

It had been hastily construed, this formation, but Shaw believed it to be iron-clad enough to weather the horde.

Last edited:

GEBURA
Gebura scoffed, looking at her wrists; seeing patches burn and regenerate was sure a pain. Hell, *feeling it* was even more of a bother. But now wasn't the time to complain.

"Got it. My life's in your hands, or rather, her life is," her voice raising to a yell, the sound of heat blasting and the combined mechanical buzzing of what seemed to be an endless swarm of Floaters coming in our direction really making her have to kill her vocal chords.

Her hands sunk to her waist, one to her blade's sheath, another to its hilt. Raising it in front of her, she pulled the hilt and the sheath in opposite directions before discarding it.

She plunged the blade into the ground they were standing on, allowing her to cast the second part of their collective ability-- the white noise that could be heard was probably deafened out, but could be faintly traced as she scanned among the operators present, practically taking a role call with this sixth sense.

"I'll lend you a hand, though, Phobos" channeling her program to make it easier to utilize his, expected to the mental and physical burdens related to it to diminish, free for him to use this newfound boon to whatever needs he saw fit.

MENTIONS
. . .

Solline Nova
Interactions: Everyone

Thanks to the efforts of Shaw and Chomp, Solline was spared the brunt of the blistering heat as they traversed the exhaust vent. Mind you, it was still hot as hell in there, but at least her skin wasn't actively burning off. Aside from the issue of heat, the environment around the team was just a bit unnerving. They've been traversing the vent for quite a while all the while looking ahead at where their destination was supposed to lie but be greeted by a seemingly never ending dark void. It almost makes you think you're already dead and your very existence has been reduced to walking down an endless dark hallway for the rest of eternity in silence. Should have installed a night vision setting on Apollo...

A crackling transmission from over the team's comms would soon break that melancholic silence. It seemed that the empty void that was the exhaust vent wouldn't remain that way for very much longer. Shit! How the- What the fuck did Nexian do?! Not long after, Sisyfu said there was a swarm heading their way fast. The similarities between this and the distress signal mission were a bit uncanny. If you asked Solline she'd probably say that Nexian was just a machine stampede magnet at this point.

Solline braced herself, luckily being spared the brunt of the first wave of Floaters being near the back of the team's formation but she didn't exactly get away without any injuries either. The blonde sharpshooter had the wind knocked out of her when the stray Floater that struck with Shaw collided with her as well, stumbling backwards a bit before eventually catching her breath and stabilizing her stance once more.

"Right!" Solline shouted in response to Shaw's commands before firing off a few shots into the swarm, aiming to line up as many targets to take down per shot fired. "I can take care of the far ones before they get too close. I'll leave the closer ones to you, Chomp." The blonde's statement of intent was immediately followed by several more thunderous shots of her anti-material rifle before ejecting the magazine, letting it thud to the ground below, and loading in a fresh one, taking aim after chambering a round.

gnXohSv.png

So far so good. Neither Chomp nor the rest of the crew were having too much difficulties going through the vent, sustaining only superficial damage from the overall heat. Nothing that couldn't be repaired once they were out of the vent and on the move. Chomp's new upgrades were quite a boon in this environment: The mobility thrusters allowed him to easily keep up with the other, swifter members of the crew without nearly as much noise as he would simply by running one foot after the other, and overall was easier on Chomp as well. But no mission goes without some difficulty and soon enough the crew would receive a message that a Float Swarm was in coming. Ordinarily Chomp would relish the chance of adding Floater parts to his GP material storage, however this was not a salvaging mission. Opportunistic as he may be, he will focus on the mission.... His mission, at least.

Shaw was quick to give orders to him and Solline. The orders were simple but clear, just as Chomp likes it: He and Solline would need to clear out the incoming swarm and watch for friendly fire. Taking into account the position of the current group Gren rushed forward and engaged the enemy. "AFFIRMATIVE. CHOMP ENGAGING THE ENEMY." Solline would snipe further threats while Chomp would serve as the bulwark to halt the swarm from overwhelming the group. This too was within Chomp's abilities, and now he can put his Mobility Thrusters to the test. Hefting the heat shield to the side, Gren takes out one of his Butchering Blades and rushes towards the swarm.

Unlike the crawlers, the difficulty of dealing with Floaters is the fact they flew. It wasn't as simple as just knocking them off a wall to their doom, but would require actually effort to destroy. Even though these floaters also seemed damaged due to the residual heat of the exhaust, their sheer mass of bodies would make up for their individual weakness. But that same weakness to the heat is what will allow Chomp to stall the swarm. He dove right into the bulk of the Floater swarm, allowing them to lift him off the ground as he hacked and slashed away with his axe. Once he felt himself fully engulfed by the swarm, he would activate his Mobility Thrusters in full, blasting the Floaters surrounding him in superheated plasma exhaust. The sheer heat from Chomp's own exhaust would ensure the floaters wouldn't be able to inflict any meaningful harm to him within close contract, while at the same time giving Chomp just enough thrust to stay within the Floater swarm, slashing and burning his way through the front. What he doesn't slash with his axe, he bashes with the Heat Shield, and what doesn't get destroyed by his weapons get melted by his thrusters.

POLARIS
CH.5.3 OUR COCYTUS (4)

The entire exhaust pipe trembled as the massive force exerted upon the Floater swarm was transferred into the surrounding structures. A bit of dust and a few pieces of ancient debris plummeted from the top of the tunnel down, sometimes hitting the Floaters, and sometimes someone unfortunate who happened to be underneath. The red-painted drone emitted an electromagnetic pulse that redirected the falling debris and a few straggling Floaters from the top of the red-haired GPO’s head to the ground.

“Alright Kármán! Signal density is lowering…in this tunnel at least!” The drone’s operator who dashed up ahead waved back at the rest of the group while snuffing out the flickering flames forming on the tip of her hair before her drone sent another flying automaton falling from the air.

The amount of combat going on was certainly something for the entrance of the Ecology class, there was trembling static coming from the wide-ranged comms of most members in the tunnel.

[Bzzt- “Woah woah woah, you guys settle down there, don’t blow everything you’ve got on some swarm, save it for the big ones-”] The communications channel devolved into an array of chaotic sounds, both of vocalization and combat, then cut off in a fizzling static.

[Bzzt- “This is Vanguard Squad 7, apologies for the disturbance.”] When the channel ringed back to life the voice, despite the distortions, may be slightly familiar to a few listeners. [“We’ve…I’ve made an amateur-ish mistake, I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again...Yeah.”] And with a click both the communications channel and the tunnel fell back into silence, only the occasional sound of a piece of Floaters scrap rolling off a bigger pile of scrap echoed throughout the exhaust pipe.

“Hmm, our general area is that way.” Sisyfu’s drone projected a still updating map of the current exploration progress of the Ecology-Class in front of her and the group. After entering from the exhaust pipe, the assigned squads will be all go separate ways into their respective areas to carry out their mission. Corebreaker 12 has a rather large one, but that is about par for the course for teams that are assigned to the core. Their mission are hyper-focused and often times they are encouraged to leave combat and clearance to other squads in order to give priority to searching for the core.

“Ooo lucky, we’re en route to the medical station, though I’m fine, what about you guys?” She added as she traced her finger along some of the known routes marked on the map. “Though it’s on the way anyways, can’t hurt to say hi.”

The medical station near the exhaust pipe A-2 entrance was a rather bare-boned one, some dim portable lights illuminated a rather flat elevated area within the machine, the natural pink-ish light of the Shell’s surface has been cut off by the shell of the machine, and unlike Polaris, the belly of this behemoth did not have the gentle artificial skies lined upon its ceiling. There were waterproof and heatproof clothes spread around on the floor along with some cots and crates of supplies, it seemed rather desolate, but that made it fit right in with the rest of the environment. No people were in sight, it was a medical station that seemed woefully short-handed. Normal people couldn’t come this deep into the Ecology-Class through other means, and the exhaust pipe entrance was clearly not an option. Although there are GPOs that specialized in logistics and support, manpower was being stretched thin for Ecology-Class raids, and anyone with a semblance of combat ability would be assigned more out-in-the-field duties.

“Huh, shouldn’t there at least be someone around?” The red-haired girl gazed around the clearing, rather confused.

However, a curtained area in the corner rustled a bit as the hanging fabrics were pulled open. A rather tired-looking man with dusty violet hair peeked out from behind. “Oh, I’m terribly sorry.” He nervously tried to straighten the collar of his long white padded coat that somewhat resembled a doctor’s outfit. “Just one moment please.” The man added as he turned back around into the curtained area, the emblem of Polaris’ field medical team can be seen embroidered on the back of the white coat.

[Perception] A Corner Of A Medical Station

A rough-looking GPO was sitting behind the curtained area, from the silhouette cast it seemed like he was missing the entire lower part of one of his arms, as well as a large chunk of the abdomen. However, the GPO didn’t seem too distressed, although he repeatedly rubbed his eyes with his hands and blinked very hard, as if trying to look at something or testing his own eyesight, he didn’t seem to be in pain despite the injuries he had sustained. In fact, he seems to be rather casually chatting with the medical station's doctor about what has transpired, despite the latter seeming like the quite timid type.

"-And so I thought 'wow, that guy was an outpost director sentinel, he surely knows his stuff', but behold, everyone screws up! He is kind of weird though, in some ways he feels like an actual kid not just the type who looks young because they attuned young, but he also has that look of someone who's seen a lot, kind of like you doc." The doctor didn't really respond to any of the patient's comments and simply stood, it seemed like he was waiting for something.

“...Wow. It’s actually not hurting anymore, like, I didn't even notice.” The GPO caressed the exposed bone and marrow of his dismembered arm, poking it as if poking some type of gelatinous desert. “I was fully prepared for anesthetics to never work on me again when I got my regeneration factor evaluation back. That was kind of amazing, doc.”

The violet-haired doctor, however, averted his supposed patient’s gaze and gratitude. “Don’t poke it, even if it doesn’t hurt. You can go now, when it wears off you’ll be mostly back to normal, try not to fight with body parts that are not there though.” The doctor said quickly yet flatly, his voice sounding rather depressed in general. He hesitated for a moment before adding something. “...And uh, if that was…unpleasant, I can help you forget that experience too. If you want to, of course.”

The GPO was already getting up and seeming eager to leave and get back to whatever when he heard the final sentence. Rather than take up the offer, he simply laughed it off. “I’ve seen and been through worse out there.” He shrugged. “It was a bit freaky on a hospital bed and stuff, but it’s not the worse thing ever, and it was worth it! Don’t worry about me too much doc, you’re doing fine.” The GPO gave a wave with his remaining hand and hopped off of the elevated clearing, moving towards another squad in the distance.

After his other patient have left, the violet-haired doctor walked from the curtained corner of the medical station towards the newly arrived operators. He took a quick bow and introduced himself.

“...Hello. My name is Levin, Levin Churchland. I’m a…doctor, I suppose you can call me that in this situation.” There was a certain melancholy in the man’s tone, his eyes look rather aged and tired, suggesting that his mostly youthful appearance is only a deception put up by his GP.

“I understand everyone that comes through here can regenerate, but if you ever need pain suppression treatment…I’ll be here, I have…my methods.” It was hard to tell if the speaker was simply nervous or was intentionally trying to be unsettling. GPOs with regenerative and metabolic abilities high enough to become functionally immune to conventional medicine were common knowledge, and this often hindered them as anesthetics and surgery were unfeasible to be used on GPOs. Most of the time they didn’t need it, but needing to wait hours to regenerate injuries while being hindered by pain in the current situation could be detrimental to the entire operation.

“All of you look fine though, but…I’ll…be around…if you need me, that is.” He added

“Psst- This guy is kind of weeeirrrddd. Sisyfu took a half step back and whispered to the group.

Last edited:

gnXohSv.png

After dealing with the swarm of Floaters, the group manages to get further into the machine and reach a midway point. A sparsely fortified medical station. With most of the GPO's in different parts of the Ecology Class trying to distract it's defenses or work their way towards the core, it doesn't surprise Chomp that there was barely anyone here. Perhaps that was for the best, as activity here may attract errant machines that would threaten the wounded here. Chomp himself has sustained minimal damage: while his chassis had some damage from getting mauled by the Floaters, it's nothing that he couldn't repair on the field.

Moving away from the group Chomp begins doing some rudimentary field repairs. He strips off the damaged parts of his armor, tossing them aside as his Hephaestus created new armor plates for him to fit onto the damaged ones he threw off. He also took the time to recycle, eating his broken and damaged plates as well as eating his Heat Shield. He doubts he'll need it now, and if he does he can just make a new one. Everyone could see the metal behemoth regurgitating and devouring these metal plates with mechanical efficiency, And if it weren't for the fact he was a common sight among the current GPO's, he would easily be mistaken as another errant machine doing some unknown but purposeful operation.

As Chomp finishes his field repairs, he does check on the status of the rest of the team. They didn't encounter any significant difficulties yet, but even so it is important that they stay on the top of their game. As the previous incident with Tiphereth reminded them, even when everything looks like it's going well, it can suddenly go really wrong. With his armor repaired, Chomp approaches the group.

"WHAT IS EVERYONE'S STATUS? WE MUST MAINTAIN OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE. WE SHOULD SEE HOW FAR WE ARE FROM THE CORE AND IF THERE IS ANY FURTHER OBSTACLE IN OUR PATH. I HAVE NO DOUBT THERE ARE DANGERS AHEAD, SO WE SHOULD PRIORITIZE WHICH ONE IS BEST SUITED FOR OUR ABILITIES."

Interactions: Lucius Cypher Lucius Cypher Clockwork_Magic Clockwork_Magic Cresion Breezes Cresion Breezes BnemonicDevice BnemonicDevice Mentions: Same as interactions, mostly;

Shaw's shield slammed strongly the storey straight on, producing a loud, irritating clang of metal on metal. The engineer's knees shook from pain. His physical enhancements were all that prevented the kneecaps from shattering into a hundred pieces and tendons snapping. However, a different agony vexed the machinist. A type of migraine settled on the left temple. Stabbing, pulsing and, if somehow possible, scornful. He attributed it to the fact that one of his eyes is currently a pin cushion slicked by a midnight stream. The Floaters' numerical superiority proved more hindrance than direct threat. They had gotten him off-guard with their speed, but after that were easily dispatched like taking a flamethrower to weeds.

Shaw looked around the checkpoint, it appeared sparser than first anticipated which could be good or bad omen. Either the GPOs were advancing with haste or a frightening majority were wiped clean by the Ecology Class Mech's defenses. He remembered that this is not the only entry point which could explain the absence. His footfalls were silent as he approached the medical station, but were plagued by a peculiar wobble. The lack of depth perception is not foreign to him; multiple times in the past, he suffered several injuries which have blinded or half-blinded him. A conundrum that isn't pressing on his mind, however is that he doesn't quite recall what he did moments ago.

It slips his mind entirely that after Geburah yelled that she was boosting his ability, it went blank in a way. A manner most similar to when one is idly doing a task with no conscious effort like a chef who dices vegetables. The physician's zaniness aside, Shaw preferred to do this part himself. He willed himself a pair of forceps. While lifting the medical tool up, the sleeve of his combat uniform slipped down. The circular disk on his arm had spilled. Its sides were pinched into thin streams which banded around his wrist. The healthy eye fixed on this new development with unusual intrigue. Disquieting. Shaw hissed. This is an entirely new development, one that he'll have to explore later or until it becomes a problem to the mission.

The toe of the faux-forceps dug into the crack of the disgraced Ghul-star. It clicked against the large shards of composite metals and plexiglass then coaxed out. He replied immediately to Chomp's question and observation. "A moment." Drawled Shaw. Though he did not vocalize it, his pale cheek, which can be seen from the helmet gash, twitched from pain. The final shard of metal was pulled out bloody and dropped to the floor like the rest. There were still microscopic portions of his eye-lens in him, but he elected to let them pass by the skin and muscle pushing them out. "Near-optimal. My regeneration will take four to seven minutes to reconstruct my eye. We can resume." He articulated, his voice polished to a mirror-sheen despite just suffering an injury. "Pull up the map." He directed. "We're at our insertion point aka this vanguard forward operating base." He highlighted the location and leveled an index at the medstation. "The path to the core will be tortuous and treacherous, so our best composition is a flexible, but also robust setup. No separation!" He emphasized. "A divided posse is a dead posse, be wary of movement traps which will try to wall us off. If one of us straggles behind, whether due to injuries or tiredness, slow down to pace with them. If need be, you'll get a minute's worth of rest but only a minute."

TIPHERETH
As soon as the redhead gave the all-clear, Gebura sheathed her katana in the most cliched form possible. Truly, our albino was binging too many samurai flicks for her to conceive of this particular habit.

The delusional GPO bearer, once again clad with white hair, took to task waltzing around the party to give some exhausted parties ( Cresion Breezes Cresion Breezes : Sisyfu, Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian : Shaw, Lucius Cypher Lucius Cypher : Chomp, Clockwork_Magic Clockwork_Magic : Solline) routine 'congratulatory' slaps on the back-- which amounted to a quick transfer of her healing factor, hovering a bit longer if requested.

Tiphereth scanned the medical checkpoint, taking stock of the equipment and the various medical supplies laid out haphazardly. She had come in search of the medical crew member who was supposed to be stationed here, but there was no sign of them so far. What greeted her piqued her curiosity, feeling her right arm seize up in some oddly familiar deja vu.

This... Churchland ( Cresion Breezes Cresion Breezes ) fellow as he presented himself... indeed, she had seen him before, but she couldn't pinpoint why. "Are you sure *you're* the one in need?" Whatever it was, she did feel bad for the lone operator. Usually, she would be placed on a medical team, too, and members could work in pairs at differing checkpoints. If not...

Maybe not being called back again was related to that *incident*.

Anyway, she darted her head at Shaw ( Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian ), rallying the group together. Hearing the 'no separation' part of his speech, her eyes darted off.

"Yeeeaaah... no separating here, for now."

MENTIONS
See in-text citations.

Solline Nova
Interactions: BnemonicDevice BnemonicDevice | Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian | Lucius Cypher Lucius Cypher | Everyone in general

Solline ceased fire as the tunnel started shaking and the Floater swarm started to disperse, managing to avoid getting hit by the parts of the ceiling coming down on them. The blonde let out a sigh as Nexian's voice came over the comms. You sure don't sound confident there... Thankfully, that swarm seemed to be the last and only real danger awaiting for them in that tunnel, so the group was able to make it to the other side without any further issue.

Looking around the medical outpost, the place certainly seemed like a ghost town, drawing a comment from Sisfyu as she looked around. "There should be at least some medical staff around..." Now that the adrenaline from the fight earlier was starting to wear off, the blonde was starting to feel the pain from the injuries she sustained during the fight. A sharp pain began to develop in her gut region, causing the blonde to have to take a seat and clutch the affected area. "Ack shit..." Just because she could survive injuries that would kill most other people doesn't mean they hurt any less. "I should be good to go in around, ummm... probably 8-14 minutes. Nothing too serious, relatively... just a nasty bruise, some internal bleeding, maybe a broken rib..." Well, that would have been the case until she felt someone slap her back. "Gah! Why the f-" Before she could finish would would have been quite the choice remark for the Albino series, she noticed that the pain in her abdomen had subsided. She patted her abdomen down a few times and sure enough, the pain was almost gone. "Huh.... thanks...? I guess..."

As Solline got up, she then took notice of the new figure standing before them, but from the way the guy was speaking almost made her wish she didn't notice his presence. "You can say that again..." She whispered back to Sisfyu. First there was a psychotic GPO that probably shouldn't be a psychologist and now a doctor that, if not for the GP they probably possess, would probably not be part of any sort of medical staff. Were there no normal medical GPOs in Polaris? "Right... yea, I'll pass on that offer and your... methods..."

Directing her attention away from 'Doctor' Churchland, Solline nodded in agreement as Shaw explained the plan of action to the group. "Yea sounds good, I'll take up rear guard, as usual." A solid plan, though there was one element that gave her a little unease, turning to face the Albino element in question after her little remark. "You're not going to do anything stupid again are you?"

Nero Argent "Janus"
Interactions: Shaw

While her excitement made her blood flow like hot oil through a pressure pipe, Nero was silent as she worked with everyone else. She was generally like this when on the job, so focused on her work that she often forgets to actually communicate with her team. But she also usually works alone, so she just isn't used to communication anyways. Getting through the exhaust tunnel wasn't too bad thanks to Shaw and Chomp making the heat shields, and Nero's own innate regeneration being enough to heal off any damage that still managed to get through. When those floaters showed up, Nero was really excited. Dealing with massive swarms were her specialty.

Charging towards the horde Nero opened fire. Her CZ53 was easily able to ripe through multiple floaters in a single shot, and when she was firing them at 10000 rounds per minute, the real issue was making sure she doesn't run dry prematurely. But that's what her portals were for. Just as she was shooting down the floaters, she summoned portals right below their broken remains, creating an exit portal above the front of the swarm so their broken bodies crash into the rest of the the floaters. With one arm gunning down floaters and the other operating the Janus portals, the more bodies that fall were just more ammo for Nero to expertly use to destroy even more floaters. Even when they were about to overwhelm her with their sheer numbers, all Nero had to do was pop a portal near herself and escape through it, dividing the horde into chasing her all over the corridors while she kites them to pieces with her massive machine gun.

When they got past the swarm and reached the field hospital, it was only then that Nero realized that she did have some injuries, namely a few Floater blades in her legs. But since those were entirely mechanical, she didn't feel them and could pull them out easily. Her regeneration factor would also heal the injury easily enough thanks to her cybernetics being a part of her body. Everyone else seemed to have been doing okay too, though Shaw took an eye injury. Nero walks up to him and offers him a moist cloth to wipe the blood. Sure his regeneration will heal the injury, but he should still clean himself up.

"Should clean yourself up captain, look good for what's coming up next! I still have plenty of ammo left, so feel free to put me in the front. Those floaters didn't seem like they were trying very hard to take us out, more like they were running and we were just in their way. I'm sure once to go across no-man's land, the machines will actually try and stop us."

POLARIS
CH.6 OUR REFLECTIONS

SGoLVY1.png

There was a light melodious humming coming from Sisyfu as she fumbled around with the projected interface of her drone. The tip of her fiery red hair was a bit burnt and she occasionally picked at the flaking skin of the regenerating burns she had sustained, but the girl looked better than most of the team who weren’t exactly too worse for wear either.

“Mhmm, I’m okay, it’s just flesh wounds, burns and stuff, it’s not too bad.” She was sitting on a nearby crate and added to the conversation about injuries as she poked the light pink newly regenerated skin while picking at burn scabs. “Well, good news and bad news people.” The bright red drone did a loop in mid-air while Sisyfu stretched out her arms. The rather gloomy-looking doctor, Levin Churchland, shrugged and seemed relieved that he doesn’t need to do much and left the group to their own accord.

“There doesn’t seem to be hostile signals around…but hmmm. There doesn’t seem to be…any signals around?” She seemed rather confused about the situation. Even while they were entering, the Floaters swarm indicated that this entire Ecology-Class was a breeding bed for various kinds of machines. Moreover, no signals, in general, means no signals from the machine’s core either. “This shouldn’t be happening, no fluctuations at all, Kármán's a God Program, he shouldn’t malfunction or anything.” She added.

Then there was another hum, a hum that came from the ground below. This was different from the constant droning humming that always radiated from the Shell, the sound of endlessly murmuring machines scurrying in the mysterious star. It was also different from the premonitions of the great quake that some members of the team experienced on their last mission. It might be difficult to tell in a rather tense situation, but those who’ve had fond memories of Excavacation Festivals or traumatic memories of Polrais’ lockdowns would be able to tell. The tingling sense of ripping inertia, the slight rumbling of an engine below, above, and all around — it was the feeling of a giant truly awaking from its slumber, the Ecology-Class was beginning to move.

[Bzzt- T-This is an emergency notice to all deployed personnel. Ecology-Class full mobility detected, all personnel deployed on Shell surface will be retreated, operators within Cocytus please stay on guard for machine swarm awakening and any seismic activity triggered by Polaris emergency evasion maneuvers.]

After the first general message to every deployed team, more specialized and tailored tactical advice came through.

[“Ahem. Corebreaker teams, immediately make identifying and destroying the core the highest priority, all other personnel around should support them at all costs. Cocytus is estimated to be en route to a collision with Polaris, we are preparing for evasive movement, but current simulations are projecting a partial collision regardless.”]

Commander Edmann’s message was a lot less individualized than normal, it appears that even being able to split yourself into 500 pieces wasn’t enough to manage the entire operation. Polaris must be in a scramble to deal with the Ecology-Class movement right now.

“Ugh! Kármán!” Sisyfu slapped the drone as if trying to fix it like one would some vintage second-hand technology. She looked appropriately anxious about her God Program’s current ineptitude. “Just when we needed it too…”

“H-Hey…Corebreakers!” The voice of the medical station’s doctor came through from the other side of the clearing, it was trembling a bit and clearly drenched with some sort of dread. “There’s a—!”

Before anyone knew it a massive crash can be heard from the other side of the clearing, the roaring sound of metal and debris falling from every extrusion in the Ecology-Class’ walls echoed around, drowning out the voice and whatever warning the doctor may have had for the others in the clearing. As the dust settled the culprit of the crash became clear, the sparkling electricity and the whipping cords that flailed around the area marked the feathers of one of the Shell’s most massive automatons: The Sparkeater. The electrical behemoth seems to be plugged in to the wall of the Ecology-Class by a wire as thick as Mavi’s prized caravan, along with many small wires that flailed around like whips that left edging scars in even metal.

There was a wizz of static and a dry cough that came from the local communications channel. It was Levin Chuchland. From a distance the group can vaguely see the melancholic doctor climbing out of a crevice between fallen debris, looking rather pummeled, but alive. “...Sparkeater…B-but, I can hold it off, you all must…find the core.” He coughed again as the figure in the dusty distance collapsed, the Sparkeater raised one of its cords and was about to whip down on the area where the medical GPO fell.

…But something hit the cord, causing it to miss its mark. In the distance there seems to be another figure, this one more ghastly or even translucent, with a rather ethereal glow, perhaps even reminding Tiphreth of what she had seen in death…Or perhaps, it reminded Solline of somebody. Like clockwork, it turned around on its heel and without missing a beat took aim with the ethereal firearm it held at one of the sets of the Sparkeater’s cords, pulling the trigger and shooting one set of cords clean off its body, the bullet ripping through one part after another. Not wasting a second after it’d shot off one set, the figure took aim at a remaining set of cords and, with the pull of a trigger and a loud bang, the cords were shot clean off the body in a similar fashion to the first.

“...I’m…sorry……” The voice in the communicator was rather weak. “...I’m not good at fighting…I can only…rely on others…I…I’ll”

Meanwhile, Sisyfu grabbed Kármán who was sent tumbling a bit due to turbulence. “Ah ha!” She exclaimed. “It’s that thing! The Sparkeater! Its EM waves were so strong that it drowned out every signal in the area, no wonder Kármán couldn’t get anything, that big lad was everything!” As the red-haired girl explained excitedly to the rest of the group, the Sparkeater began to envelope itself in a rather ominous electric blue glow.

“Huh?”

“Kármán! EMP shield!”

The electric blue glow turned into a pulse that ripped from the Sparkeater, but as it hit the group a barrier seems to have nullified some of the effects. But the rest of the area wasn’t so well equipped as lighting flickered or went out, and a few buzzing communication channels went to static or completely silent. Even those who have been protected, might feel a slight tingle, their equipment may flicker concerningly, or even black out their minds for a moment. A Sparkeater’s EMP attack wasn’t something that can be completely thawed, even with a God Program’s shielding mechanism.

“Hey, Mister Emo Doctor! We can’t search for the core properly unless we take this out! Hey? Hey? That EMP must have knocked out his comms, damn it.” Sisyfu sounded slightly concerned, but the glowing humanoid shape that had formerly defended Levin from the seems to be still active and is attempting to pelt the Sparkeater with sniper shots.

“Hey hey leader!” The girl turned to the team’s assigned leader, Shaw. “We need to do something about this, we gotta take that Sparkeater out…Or we can run away I guess, if we get far enough away from its influence Kármán would be able to detect core signals again…but…I’m not sure how far away that is, or the core might be even under its area of influence, and that weirdo, he might…you know…”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back