• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Pokémon Partner Search

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
Hoyo peeps!

Most who've seen me around the subject of Pokemon know I'm a sucker for the idea of a more realistic take on the franchise. And this Interest Check is no different.

If you're looking for a more adult-focused Pokémon experience rather than the kid-friendly BS we see in games/anime/manga of the series, look no further!

So, let's get into it!

Changes to the Core of Pokémon

1) No "game" mechanics like levels, HP, PP, EVs/IVs, Natures, Characteristics, etc. Pokémon will be treated as real living creatures in this RP. For example, if you want your Pokémon to be more defense focused, train and raise it in a way which encourages a tougher development. For the spin off games, no stylus mechanics like the ones from Pokémon Ranger.

2) Similarly to the above, Potions are changed. They are now simply varied levels of ointment sprays which can help with scratches (basic potions), larger cuts (super potions), or large gashes (hyper/max potions). Key word, they can "help." They can't "heal." They're just there to ease the pain, coagulate blood in cuts/gashes, and overall buy time so you can get them to a Pokémon Center where actual healing can take place (which takes time, as in hours and not a few seconds).

3) Life and death are a thing. Your Pokémon can and will die if you don't get them treated when they are severely injured. They can also get sick if you don't regularly feed them, care for them, and pay attention to their behavior and the subtle signs of whether or not they're healthy.

4) To be a "Trainer" is a lifestyle, not a forced story-driven necessity like it is in the games. When you register to become a "Trainer," you have registered for your license to own your own Pokémon. That's it. Breeders are Trainers. Rangers are trainers. Pokémon League Elite Four members are Trainers. Pokémon Law Enforcement Officers are Trainers. Etc, etc.

5) Jumping off the previous point, professions and lifestyles are part of this world. However, for the sake of us being able to enjoy the RP together and actually have a reason to interact, both our characters will be one of the following: Wandering Trainer (traveling the world just for the sake of traveling the world and seeing/doing as much as we want and try capturing Pokémon along the way), Gym Badge collector, or Pokémon League Challenger (badge collector who also challenges the Elite Four for the opportunity to compete for the title of regional Champion).

- However, there are professions in the world like a Breeder, Ranger (a wildlife preserve protector), Teacher, Chef, Detective, Fire Fighter, Business Owner, or whatever the heck else you can think of are all a thing in this world. Maybe it's your character's dream to be one of them, but they feel they need this journey to get ready to chase that dream later.

- Whatever the case may be, we need to have a reason to interact and let's face it; the biggest lure of the Pokémon world is exploring that world and finding/capturing Pokémon. So, some sort of wandering/competing Trainer it is so we have that reason/excuse to partner up!

6) Team Rocket will be the evil team. And unlike their game/anime counterparts they're actually dangerous and competent at what they do. If their Pokémon aren't enough to get them what they want, they'll resort to physical violence and the use of weapons like guns. Add to that, their Pokémon are all very well trained and dangerous in and of themselves. So don't go expecting to stomp them like you can in the games.

7) Finances are a thing! I came up with a nifty little bit of BBCode to help you keep track of your money because I find the idea of conveniently having enough on hand at any time to be rather boring. Having limits on what you can buy and supply yourself with is more interesting and forces more creativity and forethought into everything you do. In order to get money you have to do one of two things: work a job, or compete in an officially sanctioned Pokémon League match with another licensed Trainer (more on this later).

- By "later," I mean now.

- Every Trainer with a PokéDex is a "licensed" Trainer. When you challenge them to battle you will have to do so by taking out your respective PokéDex's and holding them up to each other like you would a pair of phones transferring data. The PokéDex's will ask if you wish to engage in an officially sanctioned match (which contributes to your public Win/Loss record as a Trainer as well), in which case both participants will receive a sum of money for their participation. Obviously the winner gets the bulk of the pot. But the loser will still be compensated by the league with funds transferred directly to your account (in this world the taxpayer dollars fund the League the same way they do the government in real life, but that's as much thought as we need to give it).

- Additionally, prices are going to be 50% of their in-game counterparts. Poké Balls will be $100 each, for example.

8) Pokémon are not region locked. However, the game region in which they were introduced will be considered their "Native" region. Within their native region they will be far more populous than in non-native regions. The basic rule of thumb is that your odds of encountering a non-Native Pokémon are about 1/100 compared to the native local wildlife. For example, out of every 100 Pokémon you encounter in Viridian Forest in Kanto, 99 of them will be native Kanto Pokémon like the Weedle/Caterpie family, while maybe 1 of them is a non-native from another region such as Heracross from Johto.

- Another rule of thumb: If you're uncertain whether a Pokémon you want is or even should be fair game to encounter/capture at any given time, ask me. The worst I can do is say no, and give my reasoning for it while compromising on the earliest point I think you can/should find/catch it.

9) Pokémon Type logistics and some PokéDex entries are going to be adjusted on a case-by-case basis.

- For example, there's a PokéDex entry suggesting Abra was once a human child. No. It's a wild animal. Always has been, always will be.

- Ghost Pokémon, as well, are Ghosts in name only and are actually physical, tangible creatures at all times. However, their attacks have a special property to them (the Ghost typing) and they can turn their bodies invisible for short periods of time by reflecting the light around them (similar to Predator, but better). They can also, for maybe 2-3 seconds at a time, vibrate their bodies at such a high frequency that their molecules can actually help them phase through physical objects like a wall to escape from predators or a generally dangerous situation.

- We won't get too scientific with this. It'll just make things overly complicated. Just know that there will be some adjustments for the sake of realism. That is all here.

10) Pokémon will not automatically love or obey you immediately after capture.

- At first, they may even try to escape when you summon them from their Poké Ball. You'll have to tame them, socialize them, care for them, and show them love and trust and respect before they'll someday return it to you.

11) I will allow a single Legendary Pokémon to be encountered and captured by your character if you so desire. I call dibs on Lugia.

- I will be subtly weaving in an underlying story to our journey which the Legends will tie into. So, hopefully you enjoy that element of it!

12) The world itself is HUGE. Traveling from Pallet Town to Viridian City in Kanto takes a few seconds in the games. It'll take a few in-world days for our RP.

- I won't be scaling everything the same. It'll largely be based on how the RP is flowing. And time skips will be a constant to make sure we can get to where we want to go with minimal down time.

13) Starter Pokémon are not locked to the games. You may request any non-mythical, non-pseudo Legendary, and non-Legendary for your starter. I cannot promise I'll say "yes" if I feel there's a chance it could be overpowered. But there's a bigger chance I'll just say "yes."

How Our Journey Begins!

As stated in the changes above both of our characters will be either wandering Trainers, Badge Collectors, or League Challengers. Otherwise there'd be no reason to partner up, and posting separate lives taking place in parallel instead of together is a lot less fun than an adventure together. At least, I think so.

Since I'm an OG from the Red/Blue days, and Kanto holds a special place in my heart, that's where we'll start.

We're going to say we got officially Licensed ahead of time, and that'll let us immediately start the RP by geting our Starters from Professor Oak and set out on our journey together.

And that's the start!

We leave for Route 1 and see our first wild Pokémon and either try to catch them or just take note if we want to come back later, and just enjoy the world as we learn what it means to be a Trainer.

If this all sounds like your cup of tea, either reply here or in a DM and I'll be happy to chat with you!

Please note that this is not first come first served. I'll need to see a sample of your writing style because I know what I'm looking for in a partner, and what signs to observe in your writing to make my decision. To that end please be sure that when you first reply (either here or in a DM) you send me a sample of your writing from either a previous Pokémon RP, or from another fandom style RP as that will be the easiest way for me to see how you handle fandom writing as opposed to other genres of writing.

Cheers!!

- GojiBean

This looks interesting. I'm new on this sight and have yet to actually join in the actual rps, but I initially came from pokecharms under the same username if that helps.

Hello! I'm interested as well and I'm up to giving it a try!

Hoyo!

Sorry for no direct response earlier. Life's been busy outside of RpNation.

If you're interested please send either a reply here or a DM with a sample of your previous writing in a fandom RP environment so I can get an idea of your writing style!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back