• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Pokemon: Legends Foretold (OOC Discussion)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Absollover77 Absollover77 Sure, you can submit more than one CS!

kasigi kasigi Lol. Get some sleep, silly. I'm not going to start the RP until I know it's truly ready to begin. And that won't be until everyone's submitted a CS and been approved for their starters and Legendary/Mythical bond partners.
Yessss!!!! I can use Zera Too!!!

Welp I got my two character sheets done and over with... Now I wait like a Ekans in the grass for the beginning of this epic tale.

A'ight.

So, Levi_Ijin Levi_Ijin Phayne Phayne kasigi kasigi PainterFight PainterFight MrBrown MrBrown asphodelus asphodelus RulerOfChad RulerOfChad Absollover77 Absollover77 SheepKing SheepKing NimbusWing NimbusWing

Some good questions came up in DM's and the Interest Check which I felt were worth addressing. So, here we go!

1) How do we meet our bonded partner Legendary/Mythical, and what's the bonding process like?

The time and place of your encounters will be determined by yours truly as I observe the flow of the RP and your character's personal journey. When I feel the time is right for a meeting I'll send you a DM letting you know it's time. From that moment on you're free to craft the encounter itself as you see fit, including whether or not the encounter carries a sense of fate/destiny, is pure chance, or relating to another theme in your character's growth.

Encounters with the Legendary/Mythical will last for a single post until the final encounter where the bond is formally finalized. Once it's finalized you will have total control over your bond partner as a side kick sort of character who watches over your primary character and will usually come to their aid if and when the need becomes dire. However, depending on which Legendary/Mythical you've chosen it might be in their personality or general species behavior patterns to be a bit more hands on and remain closer to your character. Smaller and cuter Legendary/Mythicals, for example, are probably more playful and will seek out your character more frequently than larger and "darker" Legendary/Mythicals may.

Ultimately, once your bond partner is fully bonded to your main character they essentially become another character for you to portray in full. And I hope you have fun doing so!

2) How are battles handled?

Battles are entirely user-determined.

You will pick and choose where, when, how, and why you encounter wild Pokemon (with one caveat to be discussed below) and NPC trainers. All I ask is for your character to not become a God-Modded Mary Sue who has zero troubles battling and capturing Pokemon, or battling other trainers. After all, the wild Pokemon of this world are feral animals with powerful self-preservation instincts. They won't fight fair or by any rule sets. They won't wait for you to come up with a strategy to face them. They won't play by the turn-by-turn rules that formal Trainer Battles are conducted with. And they won't hesitate to attempt to maim your Pokemon at first opportunity.

Similarly, NPC Trainers are educated about the ins and outs of being a Trainer just as your character is. So, they're not exactly going to be pushovers. They're going to be strategy crafting mid-battle just like you. They'll make strategic choices like switching out Pokemon if it looks like their current one is at too much of a disadvantage. They'll use items to heal their Pokemon. And if they feel an advantage they'll press hard into it in order to defeat you.

When it comes to player vs player battles, that's going to be up to you and whomever your battle partner is to figure out in DM's. If you need an arbiter, feel free to include me in the DM and I'll make sure everything is fair so we're all happy with the final result, whatever it may be.

EDIT: (Forgot this part in editing, lol)

The caveat for pokemon encounters is Pokemon which are known to be extremely rare will require my approval before encountering them. This includes pseudo-Legendary Pokemon, wild "starter" Pokemon, Pokemon who are event Pokemon or come with a 1% encounter rate in their first respective game appearance (like Lapras in R/B/Y), etc.

Rule of thumb: If you're worried about the rarity, just ask me in a DM. I don't bite. I promise.

3) Violence and Pokemon death?

Yes, there is going to be violence in this world.

I alluded to it in the section above about wild Pokemon battling but wild Pokemon, if they can help it, will do anything and everything they can to get away from you or turn you into a meal. Or, your Pokemon. For example: If you have a smaller Pokemon and you go down to a river to drink with them, and there's a Croconaw or Feraligatr in the water, if your Pokemon fits in its mouth it's going to try to nom your Pokemon and drag it into the water to drown and feast upon it. So, be careful where you roam! Chances are high that your character will witness the deaths of Pokemon in their travels. Wild Pokemon following nature's order by hunting and feeding on each other, for example, is commonplace. Territorial Pokemon battling to the death is also common. So, steel yourself for the inevitable.

Also, I think I said it in the Interest Check. But in case I didn't the evil teams of this world will use physical violence if and when their Pokemon don't get the job done. They'll use knives, guns, gang up on you and your Pokemon themselves, use gas, etc. Anything to accomplish their goals. They're far from the incompetent game sprites you get to plow through without resistance in the video games. These are deadly human beings with a taste for violence. If you defeat one of their own in a Pokemon battle one of their compatriots might just shoot your Pokemon with a gun out of spite for your victory. Exercise caution around them.

4) What's the starting scenario?

This is something I thought about addressing earlier, but felt it would be better to wait until I knew we had a solid lineup ready to start the RP (which we currently have, so yay).

The starting scenario is pretty simple: All of our characters have gathered in Saffron City in the Kanto region to attend a special "once in a lifetime" event held by the Pokemon League.

The event in question lasts from 10am to 4pm, and has multiple activities Trainers may engage in which include the following:

- Capture Challenge

Trainers are allowed to roam a designated zone outside the city's West end to capture as many Pokemon as possible within a one-hour period (11am-12pm). Each trainer's PokeDex is tracked, and 5 minutes before your hour is up you're pinged to begin heading back to the entrance. Any who overstay beyond the one-hour period are subject to forced removal by local Pokemon Law Enforcement who are helping oversee the event.

The Trainer who captures the most Pokemon will not only be allowed to keep one of the captures (the rest are released back to the wild), but they're also guaranteed to obtain an invitation to an official Capture Contest to be held at a time, date, and location to be determined. This official Capture Contest will include the chance to capture "exotic" Pokemon (meaning pseudo-Legendary Pokemon like the Dratini line, Gible line, etc,,), and is a highly sought after invite-only event.

- Battle Challenge

This is a "last man standing" Trainer Battle challenge. There are no brackets. You find someone and battle them. The winner gets to stay. The loser must leave the designated area and find another activity (as with the Capture Challenge, any who refuse to leave the area after being defeated (wins and losses are tracked via your PokeDex) are subject to forced detainment by Pokemon Law Enforcement).

The last trainer standing wins not only a medal to commemorate their victory in the event, but also receives a special pass to participate (optionally, not mandatory) in a preliminary qualification round to determine if they're fit for the Pokemon Olympics.

- Pokemon Talent Show

This is a contest for your Pokemon to show any unique talents they possess outside of battling. Tricks, routines alongside their trainer displaying their obedience and synchronicity with their trainer, etc are all viable options for entry. If you think your Pokemon has something special to show the world, this is the time and place to do it as there will be a jury of ten professional agents observing and judging the participants. The top 3 participants are guaranteed to obtain invitations to meet executives who can help them create a brand and turn themselves into either entrepreneurs, or become part of the agency the executives represent and become part of "something bigger."

(Spoiler alert, this talent show is run by Team Rocket who have infiltrated the Kanto Pokemon League and are looking to recruit new members, find good Pokemon to steal, or both.)

- Creativity Showcase

Be it painting, singing, dancing, or any other artistic/creative endeavor all Trainers are welcome to show any attendees what they can do. It's a great way to meet fellow creative minds and form new friendships, perhaps new rivalries, and possibly even gain the attention of talent scouts who may want to help you take your creative works to the next level and perhaps make a real career out of it (if you don't have one already).

- Community Zone

This is a zone near the Silph Co. building to gather and relax with other Trainers. There's coffee and other beverages, food, numerous lounge spaces with plenty of relaxing activities like cards, chess, etc. It's a great place to just kick back and enjoy the company of other Trainers.

Hopefully there's a little something for everyone, here! As stated before this is a "once in a lifetime event," which I hope will lend credence to the idea everyone's characters would attend. If you don't think there's something here your character would want to participate in then let me know what would likely draw them in so we can add the activity to the list of events and ensure your character's participation!

Cheers!

Last edited:
That's some interesting events you got there... Miiya and Zera will be in attendance.

Miiya will be in the battle zone cause she likely followed someone in not knowing where to go. Maybe Miiya may have some potential here? Find out next time. When the journey continues!

Zera will be in the capture zone... She won't be happy bout it cause she got turned around when looking for the battle zone. Lol

"If you can hit a spearow with a rock you can hit a random Pokémon with a ball." - Zera

Last edited:
I think I said it in the Interest Check. But in case I didn't the evil teams of this world will use physical violence if and when their Pokemon don't get the job done. They'll use knives, guns, gang up on you and your Pokemon themselves, use gas, etc. Anything to accomplish their goals. They're far from the incompetent game sprites you get to plow through without resistance in the video games. These are deadly human beings with a taste for violence. If you defeat one of their own in a Pokemon battle one of their compatriots might just shoot your Pokemon with a gun out of spite for your victory. Exercise caution around them.
One detail I would like to ask in regards to this part of the text, actually:
Because this essentially means that our characters very well can be attacked not just by Pokémon but by other characters (criminal or otherwise), I can highly assume this means that our characters can be put into situations where they need to fight back (at least against NPCs, actually fighting a Pokémon is a whole different story) and fend for themselves, even without relying on their Pokémon to aid them?
As an example, a moment where in an effort to defeat a trainer who is putting a stop to their plans, two criminals of the same team could work together, one directly fighting the trainer and the other taking out their Pokémon with their own Pokémon while the trainer is distracted?

One detail I would like to ask in regards to this part of the text, actually:
Because this essentially means that our characters very well can be attacked not just by Pokémon but by other characters (criminal or otherwise), I can highly assume this means that our characters can be put into situations where they need to fight back (at least against NPCs, actually fighting a Pokémon is a whole different story) and fend for themselves, even without relying on their Pokémon to aid them?
As an example, a moment where in an effort to defeat a trainer who is putting a stop to their plans, two criminals of the same team could work together, one directly fighting the trainer and the other taking out their Pokémon with their own Pokémon while the trainer is distracted?

Indeed so.

Your human character may well need to duke it out with another human character or evil team member at any point during the RP, whether they're a fighter or not. Obviously, you have options. You can run to stall for time, shout for help from any nearby people or friends who may be close by, knock things over to slow down pursuers, etc. Remember, realism is always a factor. If your character isn't trained in hand to hand combat it's probably best to run or scream for help and stall in whatever way you can.

As a 20+ year martial arts veteran you can ask me about the realism of combat at any time and I'll be happy to describe situations and options available to you for the best results!

Cheers!

Indeed so.

Your human character may well need to duke it out with another human character or evil team member at any point during the RP, whether they're a fighter or not. Obviously, you have options. You can run to stall for time, shout for help from any nearby people or friends who may be close by, knock things over to slow down pursuers, etc. Remember, realism is always a factor. If your character isn't trained in hand to hand combat it's probably best to run or scream for help and stall in whatever way you can.

As a 20+ year martial arts veteran you can ask me about the realism of combat at any time and I'll be happy to describe situations and options available to you for the best results!

Cheers!
Likewise I too have martial experience. I know the joint locks and lethal strikes of Hapkido being a red belt myself. (even if I am a bit out of practice.)

Phayne Phayne Oh Boi looks like Zera has some competition for the best physical specimen. At least in the strength department. I can't wait for this to start.

- Pokemon Talent Show

This is a contest for your Pokemon to show any unique talents they possess outside of battling. Tricks, routines alongside their trainer displaying their obedience and synchronicity with their trainer, etc are all viable options for entry. If you think your Pokemon has something special to show the world, this is the time and place to do it as there will be a jury of ten professional agents observing and judging the participants. The top 3 participants are guaranteed to obtain invitations to meet executives who can help them create a brand and turn themselves into either entrepreneurs, or become part of the agency the executives represent and become part of "something bigger."

(Spoiler alert, this talent show is run by Team Rocket who have infiltrated the Kanto Pokemon League and are looking to recruit new members, find good Pokemon to steal, or both.)
POV Nevaeh when she joins the talent show on a whim but realizes she has to actually do her job now
1690248450204.png
Oh my gosh I’m so excited for the rp!

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, still in the process of making my character with only her backstory really left, but I'm excited / can't wait to see how things are going to turn out! 🤍

Not gonna lie, still in the process of making my character with only her backstory really left, but I'm excited / can't wait to see how things are going to turn out! 🤍
Me too! Oh if you are having some issues with Backstory stuff I have a little solution I use. Motivation... What motivates them. How do they feel about something specific then extrapolate a reason for it. Then it usually writes itself.

Me too! Oh if you are having some issues with Backstory stuff I have a little solution I use. Motivation... What motivates them. How do they feel about something specific then extrapolate a reason for it. Then it usually writes itself.
Thankfully I already had something in mind even before you gave me said advice! My character... isn't really somebody who has very many lofty goals or ambitions. However, recent events could have transpired that would have led to her becoming a Pokémon Trainer - her motivation that she now has a way to defend herself lest situations become dangerous for her.

Thankfully I already had something in mind even before you gave me said advice! My character... isn't really somebody who has very many lofty goals or ambitions. However, recent events could have transpired that would have led to her becoming a Pokémon Trainer - her motivation that she now has a way to defend herself lest situations become dangerous for her.
Who knows... They may get lucky and end up traveling with a group.

GojiBean GojiBean

Quick question: When dealing with electric-types moves, how strong are they? Would something like Thunder be either insta-kill / permanently disabling to most 'mons?

Additionally, how much would the various potions heal by?

GojiBean GojiBean

Quick question: When dealing with electric-types moves, how strong are they? Would something like Thunder be either insta-kill / permanently disabling to most 'mons?

Additionally, how much would the various potions heal by?

Those are great questions!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert in physics or chemistry. I took fundamental classes in high school and college. But I remember most of what I learned back then and have always done my best to do at least a little research before starting RP's utilizing scientific information like this one so I have a better chance of being able to explain things.

So, the section below is how I'm approaching electric moves and their potential to be lethal

(Sorry for how long this is!! Also, if anyone knows more about this subject than me and can correct anything I get wrong please do so and I'll make adjustments based on your information! Thanks!)

Voltage is the electrical force that would drive an electric current between two points.
Current is the rate at which electric charge flows past a point in a circuit.

Think of it as "cause" and "effect." Voltage is the cause. Current is the effect. And it's really the current which determines whether or not a strike becomes lethal.

For the purposes of this RP, we're going to simplify things to three primary factors as to whether or not an electric attack is able to reach lethal levels:

1) The level of the initial voltage (stronger Pokemon attacks like Thunder carry a higher voltage than weaker attacks like Thundershock and Spark)
2) The distance between the positive charged point and the negative charged point (the greater the distance, the more current is generated and passed through the object)
3) The length of time the charge is allowed to flow through the body (the longer the time, the more current is generated and passed through the object)

Lightning strikes can carry up to roughly 300 million volts. Yet, humans have survived lightning strikes on many reported occasions. In fact, it's estimated that nearly 90% of lightning strike victims survive despite the overwhelming voltage carried by it. Why?

The key lies in the second and third points above. The distance between positive and negative charged points (aka the point of entry to the body and the point of exit from the body), and the time it's allowed to flow through the body.

Electric voltage will naturally want to flow from a higher potential voltage point to a lower potential voltage point. The higher you go in the Earth's atmosphere, the higher the positive voltage potential. The Earth's surface, by contrast, is negatively charged which is why lightning is generated in the atmosphere and flows down to the surface of the Earth when you put it in slow motion. The farther the distance from atmosphere to ground, the more energy is lost along the way before it finally strikes something.

Additionally, lightning strikes are often blink and you'll miss it events which can sometimes be down to the microseconds range. This short time is, more often than not, insufficient to carry a lethal level of current through the body. Not to mention the average human being is 5' 6" for men, and 5' 2" for women. While not insignificant, it's not a lot of distance for a current to be generated and flow through a body which isn't biologically or mechanically designed to support it.

So, what does this all have to do with Electric Pokemon?

Electric Pokemon themselves serve as the source of the incoming charge. The point of contact with the victim is the positive charge point, and the Earth's surface serves as the negative point. The stronger the incoming attack (aka the higher its voltage), the longer the distance between point of entry and exit of the charge from the body, and the amount of time the charge is active will determine if it's lethal.

For the purposes of this RP all electric attacks will be very, very short in duration. Not as short as real lightning. But down to the half second or less range. Maximum of 3/4 of a second. Not the prolonged zappy zap zap attacks we see in the show as those are exaggerated for comedic effect.

Almost ironically this means the Pokemon at greatest risk for lethal strikes are actually the largest of Pokemon. Especially if the attack strikes the head while they're in an upright posture, as that posture will create a longer distance between the point of entry (the head) and exit (the feet) giving the current more time to flow and build up through the body.

For example, if Gyarados (due both to its length and type disadvantage) was sent out to battle in an arena with a dirt/stone floor, and it remained in an upright posture with only a small part of its lower body (near the tail) touching the ground, and an electric attack like Thunder struck it in the head... It's all but guaranteed the Trainer will be holding a funeral for Gyarados by the end of the day. The distance from head to tail is very long which allowed more time for a current to generate and flow through its body and reach lethal levels. If Gyarados were to survive that strike, their trainer should count themselves as having just won the lottery. If the attack struck Gyarados in the middle of the body, or close to the lower end of the body, Gyarados would almost certainly survive the attack. Albeit with significant damage and it would be finished for this battle and require immediate medical attention at the Pokemon Center as soon as possible.

By contrast, if Gyarados were able to flatten its body to the ground before the attack landed then it's far more likely that it would simply sustain damage and have a nasty headache. The point of entry is all but irrelevant now as the distance between it and the ground is much, much shorter. Even if Gyarados was struck in the head while completely flat the attack will land and then immediately travel straight down through its chin and then to the ground. Obviously, this doesn't mean that Gyarados can just shake off a Thunder by flattening itself out. It's very likely Gyarados will be dizzy, nauseous, and seeing double for a solid minute after taking a hit like that forcing its Trainer to recall it from battle. And it's not likely to re-enter the battle anytime soon which would count as it being defeated in a formal match rendering it unusable for the remainder. But the significance of the damage would still be drastically reduced. A trip to the Pokemon Center is advised. But a few Super Potions could probably clear it up without much issue or danger of complications.

There are, however, always exceptional circumstances to consider. For example, Gyarados in open water being struck by a Thunder attack is going to die. No ifs, and's, or but's about it. Reason being is the open water is conductive of electricity, meaning it doesn't matter where the attack lands. As long as it strikes Gyarados directly the surrounding water will force the charge to flow through Gyarados' entire body until the attack ends and the charge dissipates from the surrounding water. Gyarados' only chance of survival would be to dodge the attack and get as far from the point of contact between the electric strike and the water's surface as possible. The further away it's able to get from that point of contact, the more likely it is to suffer significantly reduced levels of damage. If it can predict the incoming attack and dive deep enough it could theoretically avoid taking any damage at all. But the chances of that are quite slim. More than likely Gyarados is still going to get a bit of a shock and at least feel tingly for a few moments before shaking it off and coming back for round two or, more wisely, retreating (if it's wild) or being recalled by its Trainer.

If, in this same scenario, it was another type of Pokemon neutral to electric attacks and who was smaller than Gyarados, it would most likely survive the attack. But, due to the way water conducts electricity the attack would still most likely leave it unconscious and with significant injuries and requiring medical attention.

Hopefully that all made sense! 😅

I was never much of a teacher outside of the martial arts realm. So hopefully everything above wasn't just gibberish. Lol.

Now, for potions and other items!

Obviously, because of the lack of "game" mechanics the potions and other healing items don't heal numerical values. So, what we're going to do is think of it as something of a scale of degrees of injury.

Regular Potions are good for smaller wounds like bruises, scratches, and small cuts.

Super Potions are good for somewhat more moderate injuries like cracked ribs, slightly deeper and longer cuts, and dealing with concussions.

Hyper Potions are good for deeper lacerations, fully broken bones, etc.

And Max Potions (and Full Restores) can heal just about any injury which isn't instantly lethal. However, lost limbs are lost limbs. A Potion isn't going to bring it back. So, if any of you wants to be evil and maim your Pokemon a little, it's a permanent injury. You can request a Prosthetic limb replacement. But doing so is incredibly expensive to the point of being all but unobtainable until much later in your adventure.

Full Restores and other items which heal ailments are going to do their job. Plain and simple. If your Pokemon's paralyzed and can't battle, you're allowed to effectively call "Time Out" and use a Paralyze Heal to remove the effect. Doing so, however, costs you your turn for issuing an order just as it does in the games. And your opponent is free to attack again once you've either left the battle arena or sent your Pokemon back out into it (depends on whether you approached your Pokemon, or they were able to come over to you through the paralysis).

Items like Rare Candies aren't a thing since levels aren't a concern. Same with stat items like HP Ups and such. They're not a thing, either. Held Items can be a thing. But your Pokemon has to actually hold them meaning they're effectively down one limb during the fight. So while it can be done it's highly impractical. And almost nobody does it unless they have supreme confidence in their Pokemon to battle without the use of one hand/claw (whatever's holding it). This also means the Pokemon has to be capable of holding it in some way. Pokemon without hands, like most aquatic Pokemon, would have to use their mouths meaning any attacks which are launched from or using the mouth are unusable until the item has been used or dropped.

Finally, stone/item and trade evolutions. Stone evolutions are optional, as I intend to make it so that the evolution can happen without the stone. Using it will simply expedite the process. Trade evolutions, however, are not a thing in this RP. They are now natural evolutions the same as any other normal evolution. I know why that mechanic exists in the games. But it's completely unrealistic to say that simply getting a new owner suddenly triggers a spontaneous evolution. Know what I mean?

Hopefully this answers the questions!

Again, sorry for how long this answer was. I can get carried away with this stuff. Lol.

Cheers!

Those are great questions!

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert in physics or chemistry. I took fundamental classes in high school and college. But I remember most of what I learned back then and have always done my best to do at least a little research before starting RP's utilizing scientific information like this one so I have a better chance of being able to explain things.

So, the section below is how I'm approaching electric moves and their potential to be lethal

(Sorry for how long this is!! Also, if anyone knows more about this subject than me and can correct anything I get wrong please do so and I'll make adjustments based on your information! Thanks!)

Voltage is the electrical force that would drive an electric current between two points.
Current is the rate at which electric charge flows past a point in a circuit.

Think of it as "cause" and "effect." Voltage is the cause. Current is the effect. And it's really the current which determines whether or not a strike becomes lethal.

For the purposes of this RP, we're going to simplify things to three primary factors as to whether or not an electric attack is able to reach lethal levels:

1) The level of the initial voltage (stronger Pokemon attacks like Thunder carry a higher voltage than weaker attacks like Thundershock and Spark)
2) The distance between the positive charged point and the negative charged point (the greater the distance, the more current is generated and passed through the object)
3) The length of time the charge is allowed to flow through the body (the longer the time, the more current is generated and passed through the object)

Lightning strikes can carry up to roughly 300 million volts. Yet, humans have survived lightning strikes on many reported occasions. In fact, it's estimated that nearly 90% of lightning strike victims survive despite the overwhelming voltage carried by it. Why?

The key lies in the second and third points above. The distance between positive and negative charged points (aka the point of entry to the body and the point of exit from the body), and the time it's allowed to flow through the body.

Electric voltage will naturally want to flow from a higher potential voltage point to a lower potential voltage point. The higher you go in the Earth's atmosphere, the higher the positive voltage potential. The Earth's surface, by contrast, is negatively charged which is why lightning is generated in the atmosphere and flows down to the surface of the Earth when you put it in slow motion. The farther the distance from atmosphere to ground, the more energy is lost along the way before it finally strikes something.

Additionally, lightning strikes are often blink and you'll miss it events which can sometimes be down to the microseconds range. This short time is, more often than not, insufficient to carry a lethal level of current through the body. Not to mention the average human being is 5' 6" for men, and 5' 2" for women. While not insignificant, it's not a lot of distance for a current to be generated and flow through a body which isn't biologically or mechanically designed to support it.

So, what does this all have to do with Electric Pokemon?

Electric Pokemon themselves serve as the source of the incoming charge. The point of contact with the victim is the positive charge point, and the Earth's surface serves as the negative point. The stronger the incoming attack (aka the higher its voltage), the longer the distance between point of entry and exit of the charge from the body, and the amount of time the charge is active will determine if it's lethal.

For the purposes of this RP all electric attacks will be very, very short in duration. Not as short as real lightning. But down to the half second or less range. Maximum of 3/4 of a second. Not the prolonged zappy zap zap attacks we see in the show as those are exaggerated for comedic effect.

Almost ironically this means the Pokemon at greatest risk for lethal strikes are actually the largest of Pokemon. Especially if the attack strikes the head while they're in an upright posture, as that posture will create a longer distance between the point of entry (the head) and exit (the feet) giving the current more time to flow and build up through the body.

For example, if Gyarados (due both to its length and type disadvantage) was sent out to battle in an arena with a dirt/stone floor, and it remained in an upright posture with only a small part of its lower body (near the tail) touching the ground, and an electric attack like Thunder struck it in the head... It's all but guaranteed the Trainer will be holding a funeral for Gyarados by the end of the day. The distance from head to tail is very long which allowed more time for a current to generate and flow through its body and reach lethal levels. If Gyarados were to survive that strike, their trainer should count themselves as having just won the lottery. If the attack struck Gyarados in the middle of the body, or close to the lower end of the body, Gyarados would almost certainly survive the attack. Albeit with significant damage and it would be finished for this battle and require immediate medical attention at the Pokemon Center as soon as possible.

By contrast, if Gyarados were able to flatten its body to the ground before the attack landed then it's far more likely that it would simply sustain damage and have a nasty headache. The point of entry is all but irrelevant now as the distance between it and the ground is much, much shorter. Even if Gyarados was struck in the head while completely flat the attack will land and then immediately travel straight down through its chin and then to the ground. Obviously, this doesn't mean that Gyarados can just shake off a Thunder by flattening itself out. It's very likely Gyarados will be dizzy, nauseous, and seeing double for a solid minute after taking a hit like that forcing its Trainer to recall it from battle. And it's not likely to re-enter the battle anytime soon which would count as it being defeated in a formal match rendering it unusable for the remainder. But the significance of the damage would still be drastically reduced. A trip to the Pokemon Center is advised. But a few Super Potions could probably clear it up without much issue or danger of complications.

There are, however, always exceptional circumstances to consider. For example, Gyarados in open water being struck by a Thunder attack is going to die. No ifs, and's, or but's about it. Reason being is the open water is conductive of electricity, meaning it doesn't matter where the attack lands. As long as it strikes Gyarados directly the surrounding water will force the charge to flow through Gyarados' entire body until the attack ends and the charge dissipates from the surrounding water. Gyarados' only chance of survival would be to dodge the attack and get as far from the point of contact between the electric strike and the water's surface as possible. The further away it's able to get from that point of contact, the more likely it is to suffer significantly reduced levels of damage. If it can predict the incoming attack and dive deep enough it could theoretically avoid taking any damage at all. But the chances of that are quite slim. More than likely Gyarados is still going to get a bit of a shock and at least feel tingly for a few moments before shaking it off and coming back for round two or, more wisely, retreating (if it's wild) or being recalled by its Trainer.

If, in this same scenario, it was another type of Pokemon neutral to electric attacks and who was smaller than Gyarados, it would most likely survive the attack. But, due to the way water conducts electricity the attack would still most likely leave it unconscious and with significant injuries and requiring medical attention.

Hopefully that all made sense! 😅

I was never much of a teacher outside of the martial arts realm. So hopefully everything above wasn't just gibberish. Lol.

Now, for potions and other items!

Obviously, because of the lack of "game" mechanics the potions and other healing items don't heal numerical values. So, what we're going to do is think of it as something of a scale of degrees of injury.

Regular Potions are good for smaller wounds like bruises, scratches, and small cuts.

Super Potions are good for somewhat more moderate injuries like cracked ribs, slightly deeper and longer cuts, and dealing with concussions.

Hyper Potions are good for deeper lacerations, fully broken bones, etc.

And Max Potions (and Full Restores) can heal just about any injury which isn't instantly lethal. However, lost limbs are lost limbs. A Potion isn't going to bring it back. So, if any of you wants to be evil and maim your Pokemon a little, it's a permanent injury. You can request a Prosthetic limb replacement. But doing so is incredibly expensive to the point of being all but unobtainable until much later in your adventure.

Full Restores and other items which heal ailments are going to do their job. Plain and simple. If your Pokemon's paralyzed and can't battle, you're allowed to effectively call "Time Out" and use a Paralyze Heal to remove the effect. Doing so, however, costs you your turn for issuing an order just as it does in the games. And your opponent is free to attack again once you've either left the battle arena or sent your Pokemon back out into it (depends on whether you approached your Pokemon, or they were able to come over to you through the paralysis).

Items like Rare Candies aren't a thing since levels aren't a concern. Same with stat items like HP Ups and such. They're not a thing, either. Held Items can be a thing. But your Pokemon has to actually hold them meaning they're effectively down one limb during the fight. So while it can be done it's highly impractical. And almost nobody does it unless they have supreme confidence in their Pokemon to battle without the use of one hand/claw (whatever's holding it). This also means the Pokemon has to be capable of holding it in some way. Pokemon without hands, like most aquatic Pokemon, would have to use their mouths meaning any attacks which are launched from or using the mouth are unusable until the item has been used or dropped.

Finally, stone/item and trade evolutions. Stone evolutions are optional, as I intend to make it so that the evolution can happen without the stone. Using it will simply expedite the process. Trade evolutions, however, are not a thing in this RP. They are now natural evolutions the same as any other normal evolution. I know why that mechanic exists in the games. But it's completely unrealistic to say that simply getting a new owner suddenly triggers a spontaneous evolution. Know what I mean?

Hopefully this answers the questions!

Again, sorry for how long this answer was. I can get carried away with this stuff. Lol.

Cheers!

No need to apologize for the length! It’s a good thing to make sure everything gets explained throughly after all! Though I do have a few questions regarding items. Would held items that have effects outside of battle such as everstones and soothebells also still be a thing IRP? And it’s probably a pretty silly question but would items that serve as armor/can be worn such as scarves or the rocky helmet be exempt from the general rule of limiting a Pokémon’s maneuverability? 😅

No need to apologize for the length! It’s a good thing to make sure everything gets explained throughly after all! Though I do have a few questions regarding items. Would held items that have effects outside of battle such as everstones and soothebells also still be a thing IRP? And it’s probably a pretty silly question but would items that serve as armor/can be worn such as scarves or the rocky helmet be exempt from the general rule of limiting a Pokémon’s maneuverability? 😅

Good question.

I guess it depends largely on the item.

A Soothe Bell, for instance, raises friendship in the games with the Pokemon holding it. I can imagine, at the very least, it's a genuinely soothing item to carry kind of like being able to lay in a lounge chair listening to wind chimes creating music in the gentle breeze. It might not actually make them more friendly towards you on its own. But it would soothe a newly caught wild Pokemon and make it more comfortable which would, in the long term, go a long way towards actually bonding with it.

That's something I should address as well.

Freshly caught wild Pokemon aren't just suddenly going to obey your every command. They'll be disobedient, ignore you, and some more feisty ones might even try to escape from you when you let them out of the Poke Ball. You'll have to earn the trust and obedience of every Pokemon you capture.

However, there are ways to ensure this is easier than it may otherwise sound. For example, you could send out all your Pokemon at once to just sit with you in an open grassy field. There are no boundaries or walls containing them. And by sitting down you make yourself smaller and present yourself as less of a threat. Instinctively the Pokemon may still be reluctant to get close. But seeing other Pokemon you have which are bonded to you get close will at least spark curiosity. And seeing them getting close without being harmed will slowly help generate trust that they won't be harmed if and when they get close.

You did battle and injure them somewhat to capture them, after all. They're going to carry that trauma for a bit. Lol.

Anyway, back on topic.

When it comes to items like the Rocky Helmet, it wouldn't limit the user's maneuverability. But it also won't magically damage any Pokemon that makes physical contact with the user. If they try to tackle the user and the user lowers their head and uses the helmet to block the incoming attack, then yes, that will harm them. But aside from things like that most helmets, scarfs, sunglasses, etc are just aesthetic.

A good basic rule of thumb to follow on held items of this nature would be: If it doesn't make sense in a realistic context to have the effect it has in the games (like raising a specific "stat," or empowering a specific type of technique) then it's purely for aesthetics in this RP.

GojiBean GojiBean

Thanks for explaining! It was very informative. As a follow-up to that electric-type question, I'd appreciate some feedback on this scenario:

My character (Jeden) grew up on a ranch. His family is in the Elektrike breeding business, training them to herd more electric-resistant 'mons such as Mareep. Out of familiarity, Jeden opted for an Elektrike as his starter, one of the feistier ones who he's named Snap.

Now, Snap is from their latest batch of pups and he's in the bad habit of sparking, which I suppose would be releasing static electricity (??) in the fur. He's also into the habit of playfully biting/gnawing at Jeden's fingers; Jeden will be training him out of that ASAP.

The question is, between a bit of slobber, a moist tongue, and some stray static, would this habit be potentially dangerous to Jeden? Would it feel like a small static shock or would he need rubber gloves to work around it?

GojiBean GojiBean

Thanks for explaining! It was very informative. As a follow-up to that electric-type question, I'd appreciate some feedback on this scenario:

My character (Jeden) grew up on a ranch. His family is in the Elektrike breeding business, training them to herd more electric-resistant 'mons such as Mareep. Out of familiarity, Jeden opted for an Elektrike as his starter, one of the feistier ones who he's named Snap.

Now, Snap is from their latest batch of pups and he's in the bad habit of sparking, which I suppose would be releasing static electricity (??) in the fur. He's also into the habit of playfully biting/gnawing at Jeden's fingers; Jeden will be training him out of that ASAP.

The question is, between a bit of slobber, a moist tongue, and some stray static, would this habit be potentially dangerous to Jeden? Would it feel like a small static shock or would he need rubber gloves to work around it?

That's a good question.

For the most part I would say that it would be more of an irritant than a danger. It would likely make Jeden's hand tingly, sometimes outright numb if he lets Snap gnaw on him for too long.

Lol you ppl be over making a friend out of your Pokémon. Zera over there making warriors out of hers. It will be fun explaining her training methods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back