• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Pokemon GX - Episode 1 (RBY Institute IC)

Which is your favorite starter of the Kanto Region?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Charmander

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Otto twitched slightly as Justin approached, but managed to stand his ground even as the boy sized him up -- no doubt taking him lightly because of his short stature. Surely Sol would be able to deal with the blondie's Wartotle? Never mind that he himself had never participated in a Pokemon battle before in his life.

"Don't call me Bluebell. My name's Otto, and y-you'll remember that when I beat you!" He stood on his tiptoes and jerked a finger forward to jab Justin in the chest, but the move only highlighted their difference in strength: he felt as if he'd just jammed his finger into a sheet of steel.

He held back a cry of pain and retreated his hand with as much dignity as he could manage, though his eyes glittered with unshed tears. Must be all the swimming this guy did or something, even though he didn't look it.

Sol, on the other hand, wasn't as tolerant of Justin's invasion of his personal space. He lashed his tail back and forth with a vicious look in his eye, even as the other turned to lead them outside the Pokemon Center. Was he being looked down upon? He toddled out after Wartotle, impatiently waving for Otto to follow.

"...Both parties may start whenever ready."

Thank Lugia Professor Yew had taken it upon herself to explain the rules. Otto breathed out a few times to unwind the nervous knot that had been building up inside him and knelt down beside the Snivy. "Sol, I'll be relying on you." He lifted his fist for a bump. Sol, usually above such boorish behavior, returned the gesture begrudgingly. Otto gave a smile of surprised delight and fished in his pocket for Sol's pokeball. From the professor's explanations, it seemed that battling etiquette required both parties to start with their pokemon in their pokeballs. Well, Sol never liked being kept inside, but that was a necessary evil at the moment.

With Snivy snugly kept in the capture device, Otto gave one final glance over the crowd and felt determination surge up within him when he saw Mina joining the spectators. He looked back at his competitor.

"I'm ready! I choose So-Snivy!"

Despite his verbal trip-up, his throw proceeded as intended and Sol emerged from a burst of light.

“If. If you win.” When the boy poked Justin in the chest, the surfer couldn't help but to smirk the faintest of smirks when he saw the expression on the boy's face. Served him right. That smirk quickly fell away as Justin then left to lead them all outside, Justin looking around for somewhere that would do for their first battle. Eventually he decided on right in front of the center, which made the most sense to him. If they were here, then they could both get their Pokemon checked out after their battle. It was a good place to have their bout.

As the others began to file out Justin would head for one side of the area, his Wartortle following close behind. “Napoleon” he called bluntly, his Wartortle pumping his chest outwards to show he was still fighting fit and ready to go. “You're sitting this one out.” War!? “Remember our discussion earlier about you and grass types?” The Wartortle would nod, Justin giving his partner a curious look. The water type quickly put two and two together, giving a nod with a less panicked Tortle Tortle. “Besides. We need to see what our new friend can do.” Even if they would only be together for a few hours. Justin's plan still stood. Once he had an Exeggcute, he was going to let the Butterfree go back to doing what it did best. Whatever that was.

As the good Professor explained the rules Justin would nod. One on one, no substitutions, quick battle. He could do that. At least, he hoped he could do that. Was that really any fun though? He shrugged at his own thoughts, giving a nod when the Professor said that Otto would be going first, and that they could begin when ever they were ready. Justin was split internally when Otto sent out his Snivy. Part of him had a feeling that was the Pokemon his opponent would be using, while the other half had expected him to use a different Pokemon altogether. Still. If it was against a grass type, then this test would prove all the better an example for how their future bout with Exeggcute could go.

“Go!!” He stopped short for just a second, his tough guy facade fading for just a second when he realized he hadn't taken the time to actually nickname the Pokemon he was about to send out. In his rush to get an omelet Justin hadn't given it that much thought. “Butterfree!” he finished just as the bug type took form, the Butterfree flapping her wings a few times to stretch them. What happened? Where was she? One second she was neck deep in turtle stew, the next...she turned to see the human who commanded the turtle now standing as her trainer. So. That's what had happened. She had seen so many of her friends be captured by the humans, and now she had been as well. She smiled, wondering what adventures she and her human would be going on. “You showed me what you're made of. Now let's show them. Use Gust!” Just called, the Butterfree nodding and taking off in to the air, quickly flapping her wings to generate the gust of wind her new trainer had called for.

Panic flashed across Otto's expression. Butterfree? But wasn't he using Wartotle?

"U-use- Dodge the attack!"

Sol showed some irritation at Otto's conflicting commands and attempted to leap out of the way, but the brief hesitation he'd shown in his movements had given the opponent enough time to land her attack: a whirlwind whipped up by the Butterfree's wings clipped the Snivy and sent him tumbling.

"Sol!"

Otto attempted to rush to his partner's side, but Butterfree's wind put up impressive resistance and Otto found himself unable to proceed, for better or for worse.

What was he to do now? The sight of the usually proud and effortless Sol showing signs of struggle had spiraled his disconcerted mind into utter disorder, to the point that he struggled to remember what moves the Snivy was capable of executing.

"...Megadrain! Use Megadrain!" That was the healing move, right? Strategy had become the least of his concerns; he only hoped that Sol would emerge from the battle unscathed in both body and mind.

The Snivy struggled to his feet against the disorientation inflicted upon him by Butterfree's Gust and began making preparations to execute Megadrain. Small, glowing spores gathered around him, to be directed at the Butterfree in order to garner some of her health... But the opportunity to do so never arrived.

As a Caterpie, she struggled to survive. As a Metapod, she watched the goings on around her more closely to learn. Now as a Butterfree, she could act and fight and fend for herself. Throughout her entire life, the Butterfree had learned one very important rule for survival; It was harder to hit something that was moving than one that was not. As soon as her Gust attack ended the Butterfree was again in motion, all the while keeping her eyes on her opponent. This was her forest. She knew it like the back of her wings. The chances of her flying in to the scenery on purpose were slim to none.

Justin would give a light nod, glad to see the results of their first attack. Gust had proven to be effective against the grass type. Justin's attention went from their battle to his opponent to gauge what he was thinking when he saw the panic set in on Otto's face. If he was this panicked just because of a battle this small, he was going to have real trouble when the big challenges came about. Looking back to his Butterfree and Otto's Snivy, Justin would issue his next attack. “Silver Wind.” The Butterfree again would comply as crescent waves of white energy shot from her wings at the Snivy, while at the same time backing away from her opponent. She didn't like to be up close and personal, and she really didn't want to find out how the grass type felt about close quarters either.

The attack would hit their mark dead on, this time the panic driven trainer's Snivy not getting back up. As soon as the Butterfree saw this she relaxed her tensed muscles and turned, flying towards her trainer. Like his Butterfree, Justin too would relax now that the battle was over, walking forward towards his defeated opponent. When he and his Butterfree met in the middle the bug pokemon would circle her trainer before landing on his head, Justin looking up to the Butterfree with that really? look.Sighing lightly Justin would continue forward until he stood in front of Otto, arms crossed over his chest as he again sized the other male up, telling Otto simply "Might want to work on that panic button of yours." before stepping around him and moving to rejoin the others, ready to see the rest of the island.

"And so the victor has been decided." Yew drew her hand towards the blonde shirtless teen. "The winner is Justin Fletcher and Butterfree."

As a referee, it her job to remain impartial. Besides, Otto Foster had been the challenger. Even if the skill level, and knowledge, of the two trainers appeared vastly different, that's just how things went in the pokemon world. RBY was a school for the elites. And those who can't pick themselves up after a devastating loss won't get far in the school. A ring of applauses rang out from the students who decided to watch the battle. For some, it was their first time seeing one up close.

"Is the battle to your satisfaction, Miss Mina?"

Shaking her head, Mina ran towards Otto Foster, not looking at Justin Fletcher as she passed him. Her eyes were on the injured snivy, but they also flickered towards the trainer, who's flushed cheek she finally took notice of. Mina let out a tch sound.

"Return your pokemon to its pokeball," Mina Joy said, before dragging Otto Foster back to the pokemon center. Both Snivy and Otto needed rest. Shoving the blue haired boy in one of the infirmary beds for sick pokemon, Mina grabbed a thermometer from a nearby tray, and unceremoniously shoved it into the sick boy's mouth. "Auntie will take care of Snivy. Right now you're priority is getting rest. Otherwise, you won't be able to complete the orientation. It's a lot of walking."

Sighing the second year Zapados grabbed a red pokeball and released the pokemon inside. A Clefairy popped out. "Can you grab me Auntie's equipment? I think he'll be okay, but there's no harm in being safe." Looking back at the new pokemon trainer Mina spoke plainly. "A pokemon trainer who can't take care of their own health won't make it very far as a pokemon trainer. How do you expect to care your pokemon when you can't take care of your own well being?" Mina snorted. "You're an idiot. I didn't want you to battle him for an apology. I don't like pokemon battles." Yet, glancing away, the pink haired girl flushed slightly as she shoved three Super Potions to the blue haired boy's chest. "Still, I appreciate the thought so...take them. If you continue to battle like you battled Justin Fletcher, you'll need them more than I. I also have a reason to go to the Articuno Dormitory, so I'll be joining you guys."

hosaki hosaki

Lookie, NPC had given you SuperPotions (3)!

When you interact choose to interact with an npc, some interactions will bear fruit. Some won't. Don't think too much about it, BlueInPassing. This is simply your random event as dictated by the die.

Ophelia

Ophelia didn't know where she was running. Nor was she running particularly fast. Therefore, it wasn't long before the orange-haired girl lost sight of the oddish she was after.

"...Is that the one?" Opehlia pointed out the one that Umeko was trying to talk to to the boy that was trailing behind her, her head tilted curiously. Why Gray had decided to follow her was mystery, but Ophelia didn't question it. He could do what he wanted. They were given free time after all.

"I doubt it. That one's been there the entire time."

Ophelia blinked, recognizing the voice and immediately turned to face the speaker. "Dad?"

th

Tobias Magnolia (npc, school gardener)

"Ophelia! So good to see you at RBY Institute!" Before she utter any protest, the ten-year old was subjected to a tight bear hug. "My little girl is growing up...," The older man sighed before turning to look at the boy who arrived with her daughter. "And who are you? You're not trying hit on my little darling are you?"

"Dad!"

"You can never be sure with the boys, Love. They all ulterior motives for befriending a girl."

Shaking her head at her father's idiocy, Ophelia introduced the man to Gray Luster. "This is Tobias Magnolia, the Gardener at RBY Institute. He tends to the forests and grounds of RBY Institute and ensures it's an excellent place for grass and bug pokemon to prosper. Everything I learned about grass pokemon, I learned from him."

"You got that right!" Hands over his hips, Tobias laughed proudly. "You've stepped foot in the Oddish Grounds, one of the most fertile areas of RBY Island, and the land I spent many years culling to perfection!" He pointed to the various greenery sticking out of the ground. "See 'em all? There're all oddishes. They've all gathered here because I take care of the land. Being a grass trainer means knowing how to take care of grass pokemon. That's the truth!" Rubbing his beard, Tobias eyed Umeko amusedly. "If she's trying to talk that Oddish into joining her team, it won't work. That one's fairly spunky. Besides, can't have things too easy for you students. If you want to catch the oddish in this area, be my guest. That's what they're here for. Only one each though. Can't have you fishing too many out, otherwise there won't be any left for the other trainers if you know what I mean. There's also those in the Zapdos dorm that are researching oddish you know. The students in the Zapdos dorm like to research wildlife while the ones in the Moltress dorm like to catch them. As you can imagine, things get can pretty rough between the two at times...it's one of the reason's the Zapdos Dormitory started breeding pokemon for research." Tobias nodded towards the egg incubator Gray held onto. "I'll bet my money that there egg is one of them."

Ophelia's mouth shaped into an O.

"Ah, but I'm rambling again, aren't I? If you're here to catch an oddish, better get to it. Yew's not the type to wait for stragglers. Ever since I've known the young lady, it's always been about effeciency with her."

Ophelia wasn't here to catch an oddish. She was just curious. However, seeing her father's expectant gaze, and remembering Alain's awesome victory over exeggcute, Ophelia felt the need to prove herself to her new friend. They were the same age. Therefore, if Alain could defeat a grass pokemon, so could she. Eyes narrowed in determination, Ophelia woke up Poliwag. "It's battle time."

Lucem Lucem , clarinetti clarinetti
15 minute's later...
"Alright, 25 mintues is up! We're moving to the Articuno Dormitory!"

"What about the other students that aren't here?"

"Their pokedex is equipped with a map. If they want to find where we are, they can do so. And if they get themselves injured out in forest, it would be their own fault for leaving the group. I've warned them that the forest is dangerous if they don't know what they're doing with pokemon. The fact that they failed to listen to my repeated warnings is hardly a fault of mine."

And so the group journeyed the rest of the way to the Articuno Building. The journey took about another half an hour, and soon, the Orientation group found themselves exciting the forest to encounter what could only be considered a...grand building.

latest

"Ooooh, looks like they're already here!" A red haired boy greeted the Orientation group from the stairs. He waved, grinning widely at the new first years. A large charizard stood next to him. "Welcome to the Articuno Dormitory! I hope you didn't find it too difficult to travel through the Zapdos Forest. Lots of grass and bug pokemon for people who are skittish~ "

We've reached the Second Stop!

Here's the dormitory as I promised. I'm cutting this post short because certain character still have some unfinished business and I didn't want to move things too far ahead. Ah well, more time for points.^^ Procedure is pretty much the same as the Zapdos dormitory. Students can pack their things, explore the dormitory, then the red haired boy will give you all lecture followed by an optional event in my next post. Feel free to retro-post or just start your character at the Articuno dormitory.

OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi , GasMaskie GasMaskie , Theo713 Theo713 , Anyone Anyone else who hasn't dropped out.

Last edited:
Umeko Ohara

What had appeared to Umeko and Yajiro as disinterest from the Oddish was in truth utter terror, attempting to act natural in a desperate hope that the menacing strangers would leave it in peace. It clung to that notion as the human and her creepy companion approached, the latter uncomfortably so as it settled a mere foot away from its face, glowing eyes staring back eerily. It was perturbing to the little weed Pokemon, so much so that this coupled with the sudden noise of its trainer speaking sent the critter into a panic. Its body began to shudder, tiny knees knocking together as the Baltoy drew closer still, leaning towards it with a menacing glare. Finally, the Oddish couldn’t take it anymore, and with one violent shake a cloud of spores filled the air as it let out an ear-piercing scream. "Oddddddd!"

All the while, neither the trainer nor her Pokemon were aware of the fear they’d instilled into their new acquaintance, and both were taken aback by the creature’s outburst. Stumbling back in surprise Umeko managed to avoid inhaling the toxic particles, but the Baltoy was not so fortunate, barely able to recoil as its body was petrified. Curiosity the last thing on its mind, the clay figurine twitched erratically as it attempted to distance itself from the frantic grass Pokemon, yet it was in vain. The sound of foliage being trampled briefly jolted the lass from her panic, and glancing back realized that she was not alone, her fellow Zapdos members Gray and Ophelia as well as an older man appearing from the brush. The way the latter two spoke implied a sense of familiarity, but for the moment Umeko would set her questions aside as she turned back to Yaji and the aggravated Oddish, her nerves starting to get the better of her. Before it wouldn’t have been so bad to just cut their losses and leave, accepting that they both needed to improve before trying to recruit a new teammate. Now however they had an audience, and after the previous disappointments the navy haired girl felt it necessary to buckle down and press on.

Grimacing as the Oddish took advantage of the Baltoy’s paralysis to suck away its health, the lass finally snapped into focus. “Yajiro, psybeam!” She called out, the top pokemon giving a laboured “Baaaaal.” of disgruntlement. This had been the last thing on the ground-type’s mind when agreeing that they needed to find more companions, and now she was asking it to continue fighting this animated bush, despite their lack of planning or prior training? It seemed downright foolish, but begrudgingly Yaji complied, mustering some remaining strength to fire the multi-hued ray towards the Oddish. The weed was on its guard however, and with unexpected nimbleness evaded the attack before countering with a second Absorb. “Dodge it!” she warned her comrade, but with the residual effects of the Stun Spore hindering its movement, the Baltoy was too slow and failed to do so. The last of its energy seeped away, the little clay figure swayed precariously before collapsing onto the forest floor, moaning slightly as it did so. In the meanwhile, the victor glared fiercely at both Umeko and the newly arrived trainers before sprinting away, soon out of sight in the dense underbrush.

Wordlessly Umeko pulled out the poke ball and with a click of a button released the bolt of red light which enveloped the Baltoy and transported it back to relative safety. Shifting to face her peers, she would only offer them a weak smile. “Heh, well that didn’t go as planned… I’m going to get Yaji fixed up before rejoining the rest of the group. I’ll catch you later maybe, good luck guys!” Umeko declared, not waiting for a response before swiftly marching back towards the break in the tree-line. Perhaps her abrupt departure would be seen as rude and might require some mending down the line, but at this point she cared little for social pleasantries, nor did she want to see the reactions of her fellow students to her failed efforts. A tiny part of the Vermillionite wanted to tear up as the string of minor embarrassment’s replayed in her mind, but she was no crybaby. So without a whimper the young trainer made her way through the woods, chest prickling with shame all the while. Shouldn’t have gotten all worked up over all that stupid stuff- what did you think was going to happen, blindly rushing into your first proper battle? Now I’ve just gone and made a bigger fool of myself- I’m sure they’re all wondering how on earth I got accepted to a school like this…. but there's no point to keep mulling over all that. No one’s going to remember whether you were late on the first day, or that you didn’t get first place on an orientation day quiz, or that you lost your first battle. Not if you come out on top at the end of it all, the lass told herself sternly as she traipsed through the shrubbery. This whole thing’s a huge adjustment for everyone, so it only makes sense that you’d be a bit off your game. But it only matters if you let it get you down. So let’s just get through the rest of the tour, get everything settled, and tomorrow we’ll get to work.

Approaching the Pokemon Centre, the girl noted that the rest of the group looked to be preparing to leave, presumably for the Articuno dorm. Maybe she ought to be more concerned about falling behind, but she figured she’d get directions from the Nurse if need be and catch up later on. Stepping inside the spacious cabin, Umeko immediately picked out the rose-haired woman by the counter and laid Yaji’s poke ball on the smooth surface. “Hello there, Miss: could you heal my pokemon, please?”

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel
Lucem Lucem

Gray

Giving most of his attention to the silver arrows above his head, it took a while for Gray to notice he was in the company of Ophelia. Hearing her question caused him to become more aware of his surroundings, but it was the sound of a more mature voice that caused him to take full notice of where V had led him. It was an area filled with Oddish, the small creatures spread throughout the vast greenery. While he didn't see the one he had been searching for, another caught his eye, as he recognized the person trying to catch it.

It seemed as though all three Zapdos members had gathered here at the Oddish Grounds, but there was another person who joined them. The mustached man seemed to know Ophelia, calling out to her and pulling the girl into a tight hug. The following words made it clear that this was his classmate's father. As he watched the embrace, Gray recalled the conversation he had with Ophelia back at the dorm. She did mention that she had family on campus. However, she didn't mention her father during that time. I wonder why.

Gray was able to come to a conclusion shortly after the question popped into his head. The boy could only muster a nervous smile when Tobias began to make accusations against him. Maybe that's why... Nothing like that had ever crossed his mind. He wasn't even sure he fully understood what the man was insinuating, but greeted him regardless.

Gray listened closely as the gardener gave an explanation on the Oddish Grounds. Truthfully, he didn't have an interest in catching any of the Pokémon that roamed the area, but he paid attention to the parts about his work and the school dorms. While he definitely wasn't a master landscaper, he had tended to plants in the past. Despite his living conditions limiting the hobby to caring for a small row of plants positioned near his window, he still found enjoyment in it.

The talk about wildlife research reminded him of his sister. Lea was always buried in her work, but he was still able to learn a few things from her, even if she remained distant. It seemed that the Zapdos dorm participated in similar activities. Upon mention of the egg in his hands, Gray held the incubator a bit tighter as he looked through the glass. V decided to do the same, pushing his paws through the black hair beneath him to lean in for a better view.

Gray's attention was recaptured by Tobias when the man mentioned that Professor Yew would be continuing with the tour. Before he could suggest to Ophelia that they quickly return to the group, the redhead seemed to get fired up about catching one of the many Oddish like their fellow Zapdos member had attempted. Although, the latter's attempt didn't seem to go very well, judging by her expression.

They hadn't spoken to each other very much, but Gray still wondered if he should've said something to Umeko when she approached. However, he wasn't really sure of how to do something like that. He didn't have much experience with people in general, so it wasn't surprising that he was clueless about how to properly console someone, especially after meeting them only recently.

Before he could give his next words some more thought, Umeko was already marching away. Even if she had stayed, he wasn't fully confident that he could've said the right thing. Those thoughts lingered for a bit before he took notice of his other classmate's catching attempt.

Gray offered a smile to Ophelia upon her success. "Congratulations." He was happy that the girl was able to capture the Oddish. It was impressive that she managed to do so when battling with a water-type.

"We should hurry back before the group goes too far. You don't want to keep Alain waiting, right?" It was possible that Kalosian boy would be the next to settle into a dorm.

Quickly turning to Tobias, Gray gave a bow, causing V's two long ears to cover a portion of his face before standing straight once again. "It was nice to meet you, sir." Not wanting to fall behind, he took his leave from the Oddish Grounds.

Gray let out a deep breath as he slowed to a stop in front of the Articuno dormitory, his journey coming to an end at last. Finally made it. It was a good thing that the Pokédex came equipped with a map. If not for those directions, it was unlikely that he would've made it back on time. However, even with a guide, it was still rough. While carrying the incubator slowed down his progress a bit, there was also the Eevee currently nestled in his hood.

When his breathing returned to normal, Gray took a closer look at the building in front of him. Like the Zapdos dorm, it was quite large, but the Articuno lodgings closely resembled a castle, giving off a completely different feeling than the area he had previously visited. Although, just like the first dormitory, it reminded him of the past homes he had lived in.

Aside from the building itself, Gray also noticed the red-haired boy, along with the Charizard that accompanied him. Gray was somewhat surprised by the appearance of the winged Fire-type. After seeing the Pikachu that had assisted his senior students, he expected to see Pokémon that matched the same type as each dorm's legendary bird.

QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel
clarinetti clarinetti

As Justin rejoined the group, he would give the expecting high fives and shake the offered hand shakes, his Wartortle walking tall next to his trainer as if he had been the one in the battle and not the Butterfree which was still on Justin's head. Shooting a glance upwards, Justin would ask the bug type “And just how long do you plan on staying up there?” The Butterfree would respond by cooing to her new trainer before settling in, Justin reaching up with the Butterfree's poke-ball and recalling her to her new spherical home. With his head free of the Butterfree's weight Justin would roll his head to get his neck to pop, looking to the good professor when she stated that their 25 minutes were up and it was time to finally head for the Articuno dorm. Finally he would get to settle in to his new room. And whats more, he could get changed. Too much sun was bad for the skin, and Justin didn't want to take that risk.

Justin would walk with the group to the dorm, his eyes falling on the male with the Charizard when the an idea hit him like a ton of bricks. “See, that's what we're missing. I think I've finally got this whole thing figured out Napoleon. Th game plan is slowly coming together.” the water turtle would just look to Justin, head tilted to the side. He hoped Justin didn't mean he wanted to try and capture the Charizard. It already clearly had a trainer. While the others were no doubt in awe of the size of the dorms, Justin seemed to be far less impressed. “It's...nice to look at at least. Got nothing on the hotel though” he could barely be heard to mutter, Napoleon at his side having his arms crossed over his chest. It was a building made by a human. In his opinion, they were all the same. It was big, noisy, and completely unnecessary. Why didn't humans just live out in the open like Pokemon did?

When the red head male spoke Justin would give their senior his undivided attention, waiting until he was done speaking before raising a hand. “The Zapdos dorm had a pop quiz for us when we first got there. Am I right in assuming there's going to be something similar to that here, or is what they say about assuming true?” If so, what could it possibly be? They had already had a pop quiz. Surely they wouldn't have the same thing twice in a row. Whatever it was, Justin wanted to make sure to do better here than he had on the quiz. This was going to be his dorm. He had to make sure that if he wasn't at least top dog, he was high on the food chain. He couldn't let himself be run over by his younger fellow freshmen.

The young Kalosian looked around for his similarly red-haired companion as he found himself lost in the small crowd of first years. Rictus floated just a few inches overhead, seemingly impressed by the building. As a Ghost Pokémon, perhaps it had a sort of sense for what made a good haunt. Thankfully, it seemed that his prior concerns about the dorm's state were unfounded - it looked almost majestic with its distinctly foreign architecture and size. Though, none of that really answered his previous questions - just what sort of things did the Articuno Dorm specialize in? That was something that could probably be answered in a few minutes when the... red-haired boy ushered their new additions into the dorms.

Perhaps... les cheveux rouges? Non, non. Ophelia is in Électhor. I can't make a good guess without further information. It took him a moment, but Alain's eyes soon homed in on the Dracaufeu at the Articuno boy's side. Considering the accompanying Pokémon at the last dorm, he had expected something like a Stalgamin. Or a Lippoutou if there really were only Kanto native creatures to be found here. Though, perhaps the Dracaufeu was a better choice. The former was rather... unsettling, after all. Not to the extent of those M. Mimes but perhaps just a notch lower. The young boy brought a hand to his chin as those sorts of thoughts swirled around his head.

The blonde teenager's words brought him out of his ruminations. Whatever sort of welcoming activity they had in mind would probably reveal the true nature of the dorm's selection process. Alain rubbed his hands as he waited for either the senior's next words or the sudden appearance of Ophelia at his side once more. Si douce... and warm too. Holding hands with her is merveilleux. Of course, being as young as he was and socially deprived for the most part, the Kalosian didn't quite grasp just how physically intimate he had been nor of the sort of nature of his own thoughts. C'est la vie - such is life.

“Hm, quiz huh? That sounds like the Zapdos dorm alright,” Nodding to himself, the red haired boy looked toward the speaker among the first years…a half naked older blonde with a decidedly nice body. Toned, but not overly muscular. Probably a swimmer… Diver? Surfer? There were too many water sports out there to guess at. Grin still plastered on his face, the student of the Arcticuno dorm let out a low whistle. “Wish I had a body like yours. Circe might actually give me some slack ‘cause she’s nice to the good-looking ones.”

865988.jpg~c200

NPC, Odalis Magnolia, Articuno

“I’m Odalis Magnolia, 14 years old, and the Articuno Dormitory’s representative for this year’s Orientation.” A sweeping, over-dramatic bow was given. “Please be nice to me~”

Lifting his head, Odalis winked at his audience before straightening and gesturing to his partner Charizard. “Since ya’ll seem eager to get straight to the main activity, I guess we’ll start with a demonstration. Ready, Charizard?”

The orange dragon let out a roar of approval and with a great flap of its wings, lifted itself into the sky. Odalis watched as pokemon shot up like a rocket and performed the aerial routine they’d practiced. Loops, barrel rolls, lines, spins, the fire reptile produced no end of aerobatics to show off its dominance of the sky. On its third barrel roll the dragon released streams of fire as it rolled, creating rings of flames in the air for it to fly through. Which it did. Fast. Powerful. Charizard shot through the flames with little fear (since it was a fire type) and proceeded to finish the routine. Leaving a trail of black smoke that spelled A-R-T-I-C-U-N-O , Odalis’s charizard glided back towards its trainer.

“Whooo!” Odalis clapped. “Excellent Job Charizard! That was PERFECT! You even remembered the O at the end.”

Moving pet the lowered snout of the dragon, that roared in pride at its trainer’s compliments, Odalis spoke to the audience. “Hope that gives you an idea of what the Articuno activity will be. Keep in mind that none of these activities are mandatory. They’re just fun games to ease you into what life at RBY Institute will be like while showing off what makes each dorm special. Prizes will be given to winners of each event, of course, but what’s the fun of a game without a prize? Really. If the guys at the Zapdos dorm gave ya’ll a pop quiz, it’s because they think quizzes are fun. They’re all pretty much nerds anyway.”

Yew coughed.

“Did I say something wrong, Professor?”

“Yes, Mr. Magnolia, you did. Though I'm in no mood to lecture you at the moment and want this event to be done with as quickly as possible so, please, carry on.”

Grin widening, Odalis continued. “The Articuno Dormitory is sometimes referred to as the House of Beauty, and the students living here are often thought of as flashy. For good reason, of course. You see, the ones chosen for the Articuno Dormitory are often the ones aiming to be top coordinators, showmen, pokemon stylists, and so on. Focused on aesthetics when it comes to pokemon training, we aim to make our pokemon stars in ways beyond simple battling. We search for interesting combinations of moves and skills that show the best sides of our pokemon. To display their individual charms and show off what makes each of them unique. That’s what we’re all about.”

Walking down the steps, the fourteen year old strolled through the throng of students that parted for him like the red sea. He gestured while he spoke, his body language and tone making it clear that the boy wasn’t in the least bit shy. Though, if one were carefully looking, they would notice his eyes drifting from face to face as if searching for a specific someone.

“In addition to regular pokemon classes, many of the students that live here also take additional lessons in like music, dancing, photography, and other artsy stuff. You’ll find all kinds here. Future performers. Future journalists. Future cooks. Future artists. Our students tend to be the most creative. They also tend to be the most diverse. Though the one thing they all have in common is that they all a have a certain flair about them. You can tell by looking at our dormitory, right~?”

Directing attention to the dormitory building of the Articunos, Odalis looked toward the castle-like structure and placed his hands on his hips. “That’s the result of a culmination of points spent on improving the building over the years. Also helps that the Student Council President is an Articuno...and she’s the glamorous princess type.Chuckling to himself, Odalis redirected his gaze to Professor SlowKing. “Has Koert gone over Points with them?”

“Indeed he has,”

“Well, points are used to rank students, access training rooms to strengthen pokemon, but there’s more to them than just that. They can be used to make your life on RBY much easier. Want a dance studio? Your own personal photography room? An extra wardrobe? Well, you’ll need to spend points to get it. Points are basically the currency for students on this island. They are a reflection of how well you’re doing as a pokemon trainer of this school. Catch a pokemon and your RBY Pokedex will record that. Win battles and your RBY Pokedex will record that. I’m sure the Zapdos Dormitory has gone over how doing homework and scoring high on exams will earn points. That’s their gig. For the students chosen for the Articuno dorm, it’s about the Contests. The Grand Festivals. The pageants. Oodles of points are earned there. Not only that, but students in this dormitory earn their points by contributing to our school. All the pokemon shows you’ll see, the theater performances, the stuff that draws sponsors and money to RBY, are usually run by students of the Articuno dorm. In fact, many of Articuno students are busy spending their summer preparing for the RBY’s Beginning of the Year Ceremony.”

“Aren’t you hyping Articuno a little too much?”

“Hm? Mina? Why are you here? You aren’t a new student.” Odalis’s tone was amused.

“I have business at the Articuno dormitory. More importantly, weren’t you a Moltres when I last saw you in the battle-freak’s gang? What are you doing playing an Articuno’s representative?”

“Not playing. I submitted a request to switch dorms last year.”

“Can’t imagine Miss-Fight-Until-Your-Brain-Falls-Out feeling too thrilled about that.”

“Hahaha, she’ll live,” Odalis waved dismissively. He returned his attention to the new students. “Anyway, that’s about all I have to say about the Articuno Dormitory. Now that I’ve given ya’ll a show, it’s your turn to take the spot-light. The challenge of the Articuno Dormitory a Pokemon Talent Competition! Show me, and your fellow students, the best of your pokemon. You can choose any pokemon you own for this challenge. Make them shine. If you’re confident enough, you can even step up on the stage yourself…along with your pokemon of course. And since this is a fun activity, I won’t be the one judging. Or any of the other teachers. It will be you and your fellow first years that’ll cast the vote to choose winner—the one who’ll receive the Articuno prize.”

Odalis paused to glance at all the new first years. “Voting is pretty simple. Once every participant is finished, you’ll all list your favorite performance, your second favorite performance, and your third favorite performance on a little note and hand it to me. Participants will have 20 minutes to prepare before we head to the large outdoor stage located behind the dormitory. In the mean-time, students assigned to Articuno should quickly get themselves settled in a room. Feel free to use whatever props you find in the dormitory. This goes to all students, not just Articuno ones. Don’t want anyone call me unfair, even if I am a little biased~”

With a smirk and a snap of Odalis’s fingers, the large doors to the Articuno dorm moved open on their own.

“Now enter, if you dare~”

GasMaskie GasMaskie , Lucem Lucem , Theo713 Theo713 , hosaki hosaki , clarinetti clarinetti , OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi

Here We Go!
The Articuno challenge has been revealed. Players can choose to have their character participate or not. If no one participates, the winner will Ophelia by default^^Naturally there will be other imaginary npc students participating against her, but since they are fodder, they don’t matter. The only one with the chance of winning are players since it is only the players who receive votes. Whenever your character is ready, please title the post with your character’s Name and Articuno Challenge to indicate the post you want other players to look at. Oh, and if you do decide to participate, it's best to let me know in the ooc chat, otherwise I won't know to wait for you. Keep in mind, that even if you don’t decide to participate, your character can still vote for the winner. Just pm me your vote for first favorite (3 points), second favorite (2 points) and third favorite (1 point)

Deadly Malice Deadly Malice , YoungX YoungX , The Fabulous Emerald The Fabulous Emerald
I know you guys decided to drop for due to personal reasons and are too busy irl to continue, but I sorta imagine your characters still existing in the background (just that the camera’s not panning to them) cause no one’s written them out yet. Therefore you’re allowed to vote if you want. In fact, I’d appreciate it if you did since it makes deciding the winner that much easier^^ Though if you’re too busy or don’t want to, feel free to ignore the tag and I apologize for bothering you.

Last edited:
Hit th waves every day for a few years and you just might get that wish.” Well that and Justin's personal workout regiment. Pushups. Situps. And plenty of juice. Justin was proud of the fact that at least someone could see the care he took of his body, even if it was another guy that was a few years younger than himself. Seriously. Where were all the older students? So far the only person other than himself that he had met that was over the age of 15 or so was the good professor Yew. And while he wouldn't mind spending some of his spare time with her, his age difference with his peers was going to make it difficult for him to connect to them.

Justin and his Wartortle would watch as the Charizard took off in to the air and spelled out the name Articuno, the two sharing a look as the fire type landed next to his trainer. Coordinators. Everyone had their own style. Some liked to battle. Some liked to show off. Some liked to cook. Speaking of cooks, Justin's ears would perk when he heard Odalis call proper chefs “cooks,” Justin again sharing a look with his Wartortle. That was it. They were going to show Odalis the difference between a cook and a chef. Maybe not today, since they were on a time table with the orientation, but definitely before the end of the school year. That was, until Odalis mentioned what boiled down to a talent show. That was his ticket. Justin grinned, wondering which of their dishes they could make. It would have to be something the school would have ingredients for on hand and readily available. Steak and Krabby legs were out of the question. Omelets would be nice, but that seemed too simple in Justin's mind. It had to be something the majority of the younger first years would like...and then it came to him. The doors opening by themselves brought Justin back to the here and now, the gears already turning in his mind as he neared Odalis, stopping when he was in speaking distance of the male. “Can I have a Machamp or two help me move the things I'll need for my entry?” He was going to need a lot of things moved all at once for this to work how he wanted it to.

Once he was given his answer Justin would head in to the dormitory and immediately beeline for one of the corner rooms. Not because he wanted to distance himself from his other Articunos, but because he wanted the room with the corner view. It was as pure and simple as that. Unfortunately the corner room was even numbered, which meant if the rooms were set up like they were in the Zapdos dorm, only girls could claim even numbered rooms. Well....shit. Moving past it Justin would claim the room next to it, a room that still had a view away from the front of the building. The name placards were empty thankfully, but so was the door itself. It was just that. A door. No handle, no nothing. Just a solid mass barring entry to the room. “I don't have time for this” Justin would mutter, producing his pokedex and beginning to scan through it. Maybe there was something he had missed. Something he had forgotten. While he did the Machoke carrying Justin's belongings would approach and speak to Napoleon, the water type carrying on the conversation for a moment before tapping Justin on the leg and pointing first to the Pokedex, then to the empty name placards. “What like this?” “Articuno student confirmed. Justin Flechilla. Room number 109. Initiating room claim.” Justin watched in silence until the device spoke again. “Room claim completed.” Huh. So that's how it worked.

With the room claimed the door would finally slide open, Justin stepping in and to the side so the Machoke could also enter. If he were allowed to borrow a Machoke Justin would ask the one that had helped him to wait outside a moment to further aid him, or if not the Machoke was free to go and help others. As soon as it was just him and his Pokemon Justin began to unpack and change, ditching his swim trunks for nothing his black chef's uniform. From under his t-shirts and jeans and other comforts Justin would produce a long black box and hand it off to Napoleon, the Wartortle handling the box as if his life depended on it. Settling in could wait. For now, he needed to get ready for the contest. After tossing his bags on to the bed closest to the window to show he had claimed it for himself Justin would leave the room with his Wartortle in tow, asking the Machoke to follow if he were allowed to use the muscular Pokemon's muscles. “We'll need folding tables. 5 minimum, unless they're longer ones. Then we should be good with 3. Meat, at least 10 lbs. Spices....Shit I don't think I brought my spices. Just have to make due with whatever the kitchen here has for now I suppose.” Justin continued to mutter to himself as he headed for the kitchen next.
The-hotel-and-restaurant-chef-uniforms-Black-Style-Long-sleeve-Pretty-Pocket-NO-52.jpg

Gray

Magnolia. The name caught Gray's attention as he listened to the upperclassman from the Articuno dormitory. Like Ophelia? Now that he got a closer look at the representative, there were quite a few similarities between him and his fellow Zapdos, especially the fiery red hue of the man's hair and eyes. The girl had mentioned that she had a brother on campus. This must have been him. He didn't expect to run into another family member after his meeting with the siblings' father. Maybe he'd come across their mother eventually, considering that she was said to work at the school as well.

Gray was pulled away from his thoughts when he heard Odalis give a signal to the Charizard at his side. From the moment that the Pokémon took off, Gray was captivated by the spectacular display in the sky. Watching the agile movements and coordination truly was amazing. He hardly noticed the added weight of V jumping to the top of his head for a better view.

When the performance came to an end, Gray already had an idea of what the Articuno students specialized in before hearing the explanation. While on a much larger scale, he had seen many similar performances in the past. Odalis definitely seemed like a good fit for the dorm. Gray wasn't exactly a good judge for things like that, but he could tell that the boy had a certain charm that many other performers possessed.

Gray laughed a bit at Odalis' comment about the Zapdos dorm as he listened, understanding how someone could come to that conclusion. Unlike the more knowledge-focused dorm, Articuno seemed to place more emphasis on earning points through artistic activities. He also learned that it was possible to request a transfer. While he didn't think he'd be switching in the near future, it was good to have the information.

With a snap, the introduction was brought to a close as the doors were opened for the new arrivals to settle into their rooms. A talent competion... Gray didn't want to let the efforts of the older students go to waste by passing on the challenge, but he didn't think he was suited for something like that. He didn't really have any talents and had no clue how to put on a show. The only knowledge he had about that sort of thing came from watching his sister's performances.

"Hey, V, what do you-" Before he could say anything else, Gray was met with the sight of his partner's furry face coming closer. The boy didn't need to be told what was on the Eevee's mind. He could practically see the sparkles in his eyes. "I'm not sure that's..." V didn't budge at all. "I mean, what would..." The starry-eyed look persisted. His friend wasn't thinking about anything aside from how much fun they could have during the event. There really was no point in trying to say anything else.

Letting out a small breath, Gray conceded. V didn't even need to put up a fight. "Alright, you win." Raising a hand, he scratched behind one of the silver ears, looking to the victor with a small smile. "So, what're we gonna do? Have any ideas?" Even if they were going to participate, what could they do for a talent? The only answer Gray received was V's quick jump toward the ground. He gave a quick look as a signal to follow before taking off toward the open doors of the Articuno. "Hey, wait for me."

"Magnolia... Ah, je comprends. Le frère ainé, ah?" The reveal of the Articuno Dorm's representative cleared up quite a few things for Alain. Or rather, they simply made sense of things. Though, he perhaps looked slightly older than he actually was. He glanced back in hopes of possibly catching a glimpse of his friend to compare her to her brother. The young Kalosian folded his arms as he watched the Dracaufeu's performance and listened intently to the older student's explanation of the dorm.

In all honesty, it wasn't a good fit for the redhead. Though he might have been Kalosian, he held little appreciation for contests or aesthetics. And although the true nature of his enrollment here and the goal that he hoped to achieve were secret to even the staff of RBY Institute, there was no way the Articuno Dorm would align with it. Despite that, he wouldn't bother making the proper switch to another dorm - the fact that it was possible had been confirmed by that brief exchange of words. By remaining in a dorm like that, he could perhaps hide his true talents. A certain subtilité was required for what he wished to do - a hidden blade was more dangerous than a drawn one after all.

His mother had been a famous dancer - one whose name would likely still be fresh within the minds of those in the Articuno Dorm. But he doubted that the RBY Institute was even aware of his true parentage - as far as they were concerned, his only relation was towards his legal guardian from whom he had adopted his current surname. For a moment, a darker emotion took root within the Kalosian. But this would come to pass as Alain squeezed through the crowd and entered the Articuno Dorm. He caught a glimpse of the older blonde student fiddling with a door using his Pokédex- it only made sense for such an expensive piece of equipment to serve multiple purposes in a school.

Seeing no suitable rooms on the first floor, Alain climbed the stairs to the second floor and recalled Professor Yew's words with some difficulty. It was more likely than not that all the dorms followed the same basic rules when it came to picking rooms. Thus, finding an unoccupied room with an odd number, the Kalosian tapped his Pokédex against the door's electronic lock. "Articuno student confirmed. Alain Villenueve - Room No. 203. Initiating room claim..." The young boy entered the empty room and set his backpack on the bed - all that he really needed was in there. If he had needed anything else, his grandpoppy was just a call away. Still, he couldn't help but feel that the room was far too big. Rictus phased through the door and made its way to the bed as the muffled confirmation came from the device in Alain's pocket. The boy placed a hand on the creature's spectral head and ran his hand through the gaseous fumes that rolled off its strange body. He remained silent, recalling just what he had intended to do here...

Content with his choice of room, the young boy left Room 203 and locked the door. It remained as bare and empty as it had been before he claimed it. He recalled the Fantominus back into its Pokéball for the time being - though he had little interest in performances, it might be rude if Rictus floating around diverted attention away from those who had actually been interested in the challenge. It didn't take him too long to navigate through the dorm and make his way back into the crowd of new students - it didn't seem that he had missed much. Though, he still couldn't pick out Ophelia anywhere. A tinge of worry ingrained itself within the Kalosian's heart as little as it may have been. While she didn't seem like a battler, she also seemed savvy enough to avoid danger.

Emilia Emory
Emilia looked around at her surroundings. Tree, tree, tree, dumb Pidgey. "Just who do you think you're looking at?" The bird just cocked its head and kept staring at her. She almost had Keo freeze the thing, almost. After stomping off through the trees only to reemerge into that same clearing with that same stupid Pidgey staring at her for the third or fourth time she finally accepted that she'd gotten lost. At least no one else was around to know, she thought as she took out her pokedex and brought up the map. Sure enough, she'd been walking in circles. At least that meant she hadn't gotten too far from the pokemon center.

She stuck her tongue out at the Pidgey that was still watching her before turning to walk back to the center. From there it was as easy as following the path until she rejoined the rest of the students outside the Articuno dorm. Keo immediately ran off to find someone to bother, but Lapis stayed close by Emilia's legs, uncomfortable around so many people. It looked like she'd missed the speech about what frivolous thing it was Articuno students excelled at. She supposed it didn't much matter. She knew what Moltres was good at, and it was something she was very good at. That was what she was looking forward to.

Ophelia and Odalis Magnolia.

While Odalis talked, Ophelia had hidden within the brushes, not wanting to be spotted by her brother, but still within hearing range of his speech. If he had seen her, she was fairly sure he would've made a big deal of it in front of Alain, Gray, and all her other fellow first years since he liked to tease her like that. She couldn't imagine anything more embarrassing. It would surely change their impression of her. Not that she'd made that much of an impression to begin with. Not like that blonde girl that caught the Vaporeon--Emilia Emory.

Speaking of which...that was her coming out of the woods, right? Why was she late? Ophelia's eyes followed the pretty older girl as she arrived at the Articuno dorm just as Odalis finished and the doors the castle-like dormitory slid open. Ophelia frowned as she watched many students, including Alain and Gray, enter the building. Was there a trick to the door? She was fairly sure her brother was not in any way psychic and the lack of knowledge left her frustrated. Fortunately, the solution to her inquiry revealed itself fairly quickly. Or, rather, unfortunately. A haunter phased out of the ground near her feet causing Ophelia to squeal loudly.

Odalis's ghost pokemon giggled, its hand covering its mouth.

And, of course, her brother's eyes found her. There was amusement in them as Odalias made is way to her. "Lia? What are you doing all the way back there? I almost thought you were ditching the Orientation"

"I-erm-well...got lost. Then I ran into dad and, well, you know what he's like..." It wasn't a complete lie anyway.

"Oh~?"

Ophelia's tone turned accusing. "You didn't tell me you'd be the one giving the speech for the Articuno Dormitory."

Odalis shrugged, the amused grin still plastered on his face. "I wanted it to be a surprise."

Ophelia watched her brother return his haunter to his pokeball. She knew some of his pokemon, the ones he brought home for the summer at least, but not all. He'd probably caught many more on the island that she'd never seen before. From other regions and other schools as well. That's what pokemon trainers did. They caught pokemon. Soon she would be a pokemon trainer just like he and Olympia. The thought excited her. She'd never liked feeling left out while they'd been battling and discussing pokemon while she'd been left in the sidelines because she hadn't been old enough to attend a pokemon trainer school. While she was lost in her thoughts, Odalis lead her behind the Articuno dormitory and through a bit of trees towards the stage that the Articuno challenge would take place.

Outdoor_Garden_Venue_Stage_001.jpg

Lucem Lucem , Theo713 Theo713

She could see several first years already there, checking out the stage, practicing some tricks with their pokemon. Most of them were probably future Articuno students, given how excited they seemed, though it was hard to say because there was no badge or anything to separate them. The only way to know was to look at their pokedexes. Besides, there were probably other students there as well, eager to win the prize.

"Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of show my li'l sis is gonna put on,"

"S-show?" Ophelia shook her head, her face turning red. "Nuh-uh. This activity is optional right? I don't want to. I'm not prepared. 20 minutes is not enough time. I'm only going to make a fool of myself up there. Poliwag as well."

She did have another pokemon she could choose. Oddish. Yet she had no idea what oddish was good at...she'd only just caught it.

"Well, yeah," Odalis replied easily looking up towards the sky where his first pokemon had once again taken flight. Well, it was also flying type after all. "It had taken Charizard and I days to get our performance right for the Orientation. It hadn't been long since I'd swapped to the Articuno dormitory either. Contests are still new to me and I'm still learning the ropes. I certainly don't expect award-winning performances from first years who've been told on the fly to put on a show. And I can't say I expect you of all people to win."

"So why do you tell me to go up there then?"

"Because it's fun," Odalis smirked. "And because a trainer that's afraid of making a fool of themselves won't be able to climb up there into the Big Leagues. Don't disappoint me, Lia~"

With a wave, Ophelia's brother walked away from the stage and back towards the Articuno building, leaving his sister with the very words he knew would egg her on.

"Wait! Where are you going!?"

"I've got 20 minutes, so I'm gonna see if I can help Mina with whatever mission she's been given. Sounds like fun."

"B-but what am I going to do??" Ophelia panicked. That was what usually happened when she was ill-prepared for test. Or, in this case, a performance. "I have no idea what my pokemon are talented in! Aren't you going to help me out at least a little?"

"You were chosen for the Zapdos Dormitory, right?" Odalis called without looking back. "Use your head."

Staring after her brother for a moment or two, Ophelia then glanced towards the stage. She needed to calm down. To think. She was a pokemon trainer. It really wasn't so hard of a task. First thing's first, she needed to choose a pokemon. Then she needed to decide what they were going to do. Then practice. Time was a bit of an issue, but not if she could plan things out and manage her time wisely.

Mentioned: GasMaskie GasMaskie , OverconfidentMagi OverconfidentMagi

Last edited:
Justin's Articuno Challenge

Stepping in to the cafeteria of the Articuno dorm, Justin was met with some rather odd stares. Taking a deep breath, Justin would hopefully answer all of their questions before they were asked. “My name is Justin. I'm a first year. I need to gather a list of ingredients from the kitchen for our talent show act. Can someone point me in the right direction?” Of the students and faculty there only one was less confused than the others to comply, pointing Justin towards the kitchen. Justin would offer the student a thanks before heading in to the kitchen, his Wartortle right behind him the entire time. With the help of a few Machamp Justin was quickly able to gather the ingredients he needed, asking one of the four armed Pokemon to lead him and his team towards where the stage was set up. He noted that a few others had already arrived and were practicing tricks and inspecting the stage. He even caught a glimpse of Odalis walking away from someone he assumed to be a first year like himself. Already breaking first year hearts it seemed.

The stage was plenty big for what he had in mind, but there was a small problem. Justin, like some of the other competitors already had, would hop up on stage and begin to inspect it. Walking the length of the stage, Justin would stop every few steps and turn, judging the length of the stage with a quick hollowed out rundown of their performance. He noted (I'm going to assume here) there were a few cameras set up in the rafters of the stage, which were likely to be connected to large screens for those who weren't close enough to the stage to see what was going on. There were also speakers lining the stage, something he would need to utilize so the most people would see their performance and vote for him. Satisfied, Justin would hop back off the stage and rejoin his Wartortle and his helper Machamp, Trainer and Pokemon getting to work preprepping the main ingredient for their act.

Finally, the competition was under way and it was Justin's turn. He was glad he hadn't gone first, but was also equally glad he hadn't gone last. Somewhere in the middle was the best place, in his opinion, to perform. Everyone was hyped from the previous acts, but not ready to call it quits just yet. Adjusting his ear piece microphone for what felt like the millionth time, Justin and his Wartortle would walk on stage with the Machamp quickly following suit, the trio setting up for their act as quickly as they could before starting. Two long tables set up against one another with what appeared to be a wine bottle with a stick taped to it was set at the end of the table closest to the audience. At the far end of the first table were two large totes, filled with the ingredients the duo would be using for their show. “Now before we begin how about a round of applause for the Machamp Moving Crew, aren't they great everybody?” Justin would motion towards the Machamp that had been helpful to him thus far, giving the four armed body builder Pokemon a round of applause even if no one else joined in. “Greetings to you all, my name is Justin, and this is my partner Napoleon.” The Wartortle took a bow, Justin tugging at his chef's uniform before getting on with their performance. “Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the acts so far have been pretty good. I'm sure the trainers, and more importantly their Pokemon, worked up a bit of an appetite putting on a show for us all. So with your permission, I would like to present the previous acts, as well as those that are to follow our own, a meal prepared by the best chef in Kanto.

Speeches like this were more his sister's forte, but he had watched enough to hopefully come up with one that would match up to her standards. As he spoke Justin put emphasis on the word chef, hoping to differentiate himself and those here from cooks in the eyes of the audience. Napoleon would puff his chest up proudly at the mention of the best chef in the region, but was taken back when Justin said “Me.” He fancied himself the best, and while that may or may not be true, for their performance it was. With a War the turtle Pokemon would look to his human trainer and begin yelling at Justin in poke-speak, throwing a fit about how this was a competition for Pokemon and not humans, and that he was the better chef of the two in the first place. “Youuu think you're better than me? Surely you jest.” The Wartortle again yelled at his human, his voice being amplified by the ear piece microphone he had also been equipped with. “Alright then. Lets put that to the test, shall we?” Justin would motion towards the tables and the ingredients, the Wartortle giving a nod with a War. He was going to make a meal so delicious Justin would eat those words as a side dish. “You want some help there buddy, or you got this?” Justin asked, the turtle Pokemon holding up a claw. He had this under control. Justin would shrug and step to the side and begin fiddling with the last part of their routine just off stage, but he also moved so the audience could see what the Wartortle was capable of without Justin's assistance or orders.

After making his way towards the totes, the water type would open the first tote and produce several onions that were already peeled, setting them on the table in a line. Taking a quick deep breath before exhaling it, Napoleon would take the first onion and hold it on its side with one clawed hand while the other quickly lapped over the onion, the onion falling in to slices once let go. He did this in rapid succession with every onion, creating evenly sliced onion rings just asking to be deep fried. The next ingredient to be removed were whole heads of lettuce, Napoleon quickly using his Hydro Pump attack for just a second to wash the lettuce. Once the lettuce was clean the Wartortle's mouth would outline with a black mouth which quickly began opening and closing once a second, Napoleon using his Bite attack to shred the lettuce in to shreds small enough to go in cole slaw. Napoleon made sure to catch any lettuce that might fall to the ground and add it to the pile that was slowly forming on the table.

After the lettuce was shredded Napoleon would again produce another ingredient from the tote, this time a slew of tomatoes still on the vine. Like before Napoleon would use Hydro Pump to wash the tomatoes clean, then reach in to the tote for the final item it contained. The black case from Justin's room. Opening it would reveal several chefs knives, Napoleon taking one and twirling it in his hand. Before getting to work on the tomatoes, he would look to the audience and say something in poke-speak. This is when Justin would peek his head out from the sidelines and translate “He said not to try this at home kids.” He had actually warned the Pokemon in the audience to make sure their humans didn't try it, but it was the same message. With a flick of the wrist the Wartortle would toss the knife in to the air the knife would twirl wildly while it was airborne, Napoleon lashing out and catching the knife by its blade and again tossing it in to the air, this time just hard enough to flip the knife so he could catch it by the handle before slicing the tomatoes almost as quickly as he had the onions.

As the last tomato was sliced Justin would re-emerge from the sidelines pushing a grill on wheels, stopping on the far side of his Wartortle, Justin rubbing the side of his head. “Good job so far Napoleon. But uuuuhh...it's not lighting. Only I could NOT set fire to something flammable.” Napoleon would hold up a hand and walk to the far end of the table, returning with the bottle and removing the long match taped to its side. Justin would take a step back, knowing what was coming next. “Once again do not try this at home. Napoleon and I are both trained professionals.” Justin would barely get out as his turtle companion opened the bottle and took a long swig. Lighting the match on his shell, Napoleon would hold the match between himself and the grill, exhaling from the mouth and spewing the liquid from the bottle in to the grill. When the liquid hit the match it caught fire, turning Napoleon in to a fire breathing water type Pokemon. “Ladies and gentlemen Wartortle using Flamethrower!” Justin called as Napoleon continued spewing fire in to the grill, getting the coals nice and toasty and ready for use.

It wasn't until Napoleon stopped spewing fire did Justin rub the pokemon's head in praise, then heading back off stage. He returned with a large tray of pre-prepaired hamburger patties, seasoned during their preparation time and ready for grilling. Justin explained this as he walked, adding “We hope you enjoy the burgers as much as we hope you enjoyed the show!” before throwing the first of the burgers on to the grill. The helper Machamp from the start of the show came on stage then and helped Napoleon begin to move their stuff off stage, so they could make way for the next act.

Last edited:
Umeko Ohara

"Thank you again nurse, have a nice day!" the blue-haired girl called out as she exited the Pokemon Centre, offering a sheepish smile as she did so. Since all the other students had left earlier, fortunately she didn't have to wait long for Yajiro to get fixed up. The boon that no one else was present to bear witness to her folly was also not lost on her. Clutching the poke ball in one hand and the Pokedex in the other, the girl fiddled with the device until the campus map appeared on screen. Noting the current coordinates and setting her course, Umeko proceeded to make her way towards the next stop on the tour: the Articuno dorm.

It was a good walk to their destination, but soon enough the Zapdos student spied what appeared to be towers peeking over the treetops, signalling that they were close. Slowing her pace to a gentle amble, the pre-teen glances once more at the orb she gripped so tightly before pressing the button, watching as from the crimson light comes Yajiro, in better shape than it had been earlier. Squinting as though awakening from a nap, the top pokemon quickly realized what had transpired and upon recalling the previous incident its expression grew surly. "Um, how are you feeling?" the girl tentatively asked, to which the figure shrugged and intoned a dismissive "Toy.". She had expected this aloof response however, and so pushed on in the attempted reconciliation. "Look, I should have consulted with you before jumping in a fight like that, I know. I just kind of panicked, and when it attacked did the first thing that came to mind- as if we've ever done a real battle before." At that she shakes her head, brow furrowed in disappointment. "Again, stupid, I know. But that doesn't excuse what happened.... it's my fault that you got hurt, and I'm sorry."

The pokemon listened patiently as the young girl poured out her heartfelt apology, but it too had been ruminating and had already reached a conclusion on this matter. The Baltoy would let the incident slide, simply for the reason that it was an unusual error in judgement on its humans' part. As unpleasant as the experience had been, it could see that Umeko was distraught regarding the situation, and that her intentions hadn't been ill (Though the execution of her 'plan' was, for lack of a better term, dismal). Once the Vermillionite finished speaking, Yaji stared at the trainer a moment longer before patting her leg consolingly. With a smile and nod shared between them, the incident was left in the past.

Emerging from the woods, the pair snuck into the orientation and joined in listening to the attractive young man speaking. Observing the fiery demonstration with some interest, the girl and Baltoy clapped with the others as the display came to an end, the stage left open for others to try their hand. The pre-teen could see the appeal of it all- even if it wasn't something that had really captured her attention before, she could understand why some people liked it so much, and judging by the attentiveness of her parents when watching such programs some shows could be quite dazzling. However, it had never fascinated her to the same extent, and whether they themselves were capable of choreographing something remotely acceptable was another matter entirely. After mulling over it a few minutes, the lass turned to her partner-in-crime, a silent question hanging in the air.

Yajiro deadpanned, the unspoken suggestion once more forcing it to question whether she truly was in a right state of mind. "Yea... I thought so too. Hate to break it to you, but I don't think a life of fame and fortune is in our future." Umeko eventually chuckled in response before turning her attention back to the stage, where a couple peers were trying their luck at the challenge. She thought they gave it a valiant effort, but it was the culinary concoctions of one contestant which sparked her interest. The wafting scent of succulently seared meat cause the navy-haired woman to sigh longingly, suddenly aware that there was additional space in her stomach. Gravitating towards the grill as it was wheeled off stage, the girl offered a thumbs-up to the chef and his partner whilst pointing to one of the juicy patties- he still owed her for that potion, and now it was time to pay up. "Top marks for showmanship and originality, but I think a taste test is in order before the final marks are tallied.... can I try one, please?"

Theo713 Theo713

Last edited:
Good job out there Nap.” Justin would tell his turtle companion as he rejoined his trainer, Justin tossing the Wartortle a Rawst Berry he had snagged from the kitchen while they were gathering their ingredients. The Wartortle would take a big bite from the berry and rub its juices on his lips, licking it off again with a satisfied Waaar. Even though he was a water type, burns still hurt. Especially the self inflicted ones. Once his burns were taken care of Napoleon and Justin would get to work, Justin keeping burgers on the grill while Napoleon assembled burger orders as they were called out. The two worked in almost perfect harmony, rarely needing to speak to one another for one to know what the other needed or was up to.

When Umeko approached and asked for one, Justin would offer the pre-teen a grin and a nod. “With cheese or without?” How anyone could eat a burger without cheese was lost on him, but there were some such people out there. Even before her answer was given Justin already had the patty on the grill, taking another off and passing it to its rightful owner. “I actually wanted to do a seafood plate since we started off on the beach. Salt and pepper Whiscash. Sweet and sour Crawdaunt legs. Something like that. But those take a lot prep time. More than what we had.” He flipped her burger and handed another two off to Napoleon, who started loading them up as soon as the patties were on their buns. “What about you? You participating?” Whatever her answer Justin would take her burger from the grill and pass it back to Napoleon, who after loading it up passed it back. “One burger for our potions master.

Otto Foster

Both trainer and pokemon seemed to be down in the dumps with the way silence reigned between the two. Otto sighed for the third time in a row as he walked through the Articuno dormitory, which was now silent as a morgue. Most of the students were gathered outside, oohing and aahing at what looked like... was that Trunks?! Otto rushed to the window, just in time to see Justin's Wartotle blow a large plume of fire out onto a grill. Part of him was curious as to how exactly that was possible, but he gave a might harrumph and continued on his way. That was nothing impressive; Sol could carry things almost five times his size -- and hurl them too. Otto would know; he'd had personal experience with Sol's strength.

What troubled Otto now wasn't Justin and his stupidly tall self and his stupidly tan muscles. What was the relationship between Mina and Odalis Magnolia?! He was dying to know. Well, from the way she'd snapped at Odalis, they probably weren't friends. Then again, he remembered how his friends liked to tease the girls they liked -- it wasn't even friendly teasing either, but what his teachers would consider actual bullying. Wait... what did he care about some random guy's love life? He didn't.

"Ah-hahaha! My school life is just beginning! I'm going to make lots of friends and become the best-est baker in all of Saffron!" Otto laughed forcefully, just to reaffirm his motivations for enrolling into RBY. The sound echoed down the hallway, unheard by any other soul save for himself and his Snivy. Sol gave him a sharp slap on the head from its perch on his shoulder -- the first of any reaction that the Pokemon had given since their battle with Justin and Butterfree.

"Ouch!" Otto rubbed his head and plucked Sol off of his shoulder to submit him to some cheek pinching punishment. "Take that, you little- You're always hitting me, today's the day I get my revenge!" Sol resisted valiantly with a impressive growth of vines and the two of them tumbled to the ground, engaging in a tussle down the corridor that ended just as quickly as it had started. The two of them lay on the carpeted floor, covered in the dust and dirt they'd picked up. Anybody passing by would have thought them insane.

"Sol, do you think Mina will come visit me? Do you think she'll like the fruit tarts I make?" After her help at the Pokemon Center, Otto had extended an offer of afternoon tea as thanks, but who knew if she would have the time to come to the Articuno Dorm in the future. Sol shook his head no.

"Aggh! The least you could do was say yes!" Otto covered his face in despair and rolled around the ground as if agonized by Sol's response. Smirking, Sol jumped up and brushed itself off before offering its trainer a helping tendril.

"Hrmph." Otto accepted the aid and got to his feet. Sol pointed to one of the last remaining rooms located near the end of the hall, where little to no light reached. Still grumbling to himself, Otto lugged his luggage along and passed his Pokedex before the electronic scanner. "Articuno student confirmed. Otto Foster - Room No. 213. Initiating room claim.."

---
This was definitely a streak of bad luck. Room 213 looked like it had come right out of horror movie with its lack of windows, lack of light, and fading wallpaper. Otto and Sol had been moving the bed to a corner when the two of them discovered a massive dark stain on the carpeting, which could have been anything ranging from a coffee stain to blood from a hidden corpse. Otto's imagination tended toward the latter -- which was why he was currently pleading with any first year he could find to switch rooms with him, or at least take him in as a roommate. So far, nobody wanted anything to do with the kid who'd picked a fight and lost right upon enrollment.

"You, are you a first year in Articuno?" Otto rushed up and clasped the hands of a dazed-looking young boy in the crowd. Hopefully younger children would take pity on him, even though his past experiences screamed otherwise. "I'm looking for someone to room with, or someone to switch rooms with me - whichever is more convenient. My name's Otto and this is Sol- HIIII!" Otto stumbled backwards at the sight of a massive ball of gas floating behind the boy. "G-ghost?!"

Interacting With: Alain ( GasMaskie GasMaskie ), Mentioned: Mina, Odalis ( QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel ), Justin ( Theo713 Theo713 )

Gray

Sitting within the shade offered by the trees overhead, Gray watched as several students took the stage and displayed their talents. Surrounded by red leaves and cheerful attitudes, he was reminded of one of the fall festivals that Linnea had participated in during the time their family called Kalos home. While that event may have been on a much grander scale, filled with thousands of attendees and well-known celebrities from across all regions, the performances and participants he saw today weren't lacking when it came to heart.

While Gray payed close to attention to each student that did their best in front of the audience, it was Justin's performance that made the biggest impression. He had visited many upscale restaurants in the past that used Pokémon to help prepare their luxurious meals, mostly for entertainment purposes. However, he had never seen one so involved in the cooking process before. While it was certainly entertaining to watch the Wartortle, Gray was also impressed. As he applauded during the final moments of the performance, he could tell why the pair had been selected for the Articuno dorm. Even someone like him could tell that they were truly talented.

While the grill had been removed from the stage, the smell from the cooking meat still lingered. With his strong nose, V seemed more vulnerable to the alluring scent, judging by how he stood atop his trainer's head with ears up and neck stretched outward. Removing a hand from the incubator that rested comfortably in his lap, Gray reached to scratch the silver coat with a smile on his face. "Hungry?"

While V was clearly taken with Justin's cooking, it appeared that someone else had made the first move on the hamburgers. He recognized the pair as Umeko and her Baltoy. It hadn't been long since they parted at the Oddish Grounds, so he could still clearly remember the events that had occurred. Back then, he wasn't sure what he should've said to his dormmate, or if it was his place to say anything at all. However, as watched her interaction with Justin, it didn't seem like he'd need to worry over that anymore. He couldn't be sure without speaking to her first, but the girl seemed to be in higher spirits now than when she left. The smile from earlier persisted as he watched the chef interact with her for a moment longer, glad to see that she was more cheerful. He didn't like to see people when they were sad.

As the memories from the Oddish Grounds filled his head, Gray was reminded that another one of his fellow Zapdos had yet to appear. Looking around, he couldn't spot the familiar redhead among the gathered students. He assumed that she'd be with Alain, but there was no sight of her. Instead, the Kalosian was accompanied by someone else. The boy looked somewhat familiar, having only spotted him briefly during the group's previous stop. Judging by his words, he seemed to be assigned to the Articuno dorm, but not entirely satisfied with his rooming arrangements. That was clear by how he grasped Alain's hands and pleaded for help. Although, that didn't last long after the boy was spooked by the Ghastly. Gray couldn't help but feel bad for him. The boy that introduced himself as Otto seemed to be one of those people that didn't handle Ghost types very well.

Mentioned: Theo713 Theo713 , clarinetti clarinetti , QuirkyAngel QuirkyAngel , GasMaskie GasMaskie , hosaki hosaki

Odalis
Odalis munched on a burger as he watched the final performance of the Articuno challenge. His sister’s. It was a colorful debacle to say the least. Balloons of many color had been released into the air as the ten year old directed poliwag to shoot down its target with bubble beam. Every sucessful pop was accompanied sparkling glitter as confetti rained down. Hearts. Stars. Shimmering streamers. Pretty to look at, but a mess to clean up.

She’d chosen to try and showcase poliwag’s offensive capabilities. The speed of its bubble torrent. It’s ability to hit moving targets at difficult angles. Nothing too spectacular considering poliwag had gotten the wrong color once or twice. But it wasn’t a bad show either. The round water pokemon hadn’t missed a single shot—granted balloons didn’t float very fast…even with an accompanying fan.

Odalis clapped along with the rest of the audience when his little sis took a red-faced bow with her partner pokemon. He hopped to his feet, licking the ketchup off his fingers.

“And that concludes the pokemon talent competition!” Moving to the center stage, the Articuno Student gave his sister a pat on the shoulder as they passed. Then he retrieved a microphone from one of the machokes that had been assisting. “Please give a round of applause to all the brave freshmen that chose to participate in this year’s Articuno Challenge!”

Odalis waited for the applause to die before he continued.

“ It’s not an easy thing to get up on stage—especially not easy to delve into unfamiliar territory. But that’s what school’s all about. Heck, that’s what it means to choose a life of pokemon. Whether you’re in a battle arena or on a curtained stage, you’ve got to show confidence in what you’re doing. Otherwise you can’t expect your pokemon to do the same. So, without further ado, I’m going to announce the winner.”

Confused murmurs rose from the crowd.

“Yes, yes, I know I said I’d let you all vote for the winner, but there’s been a change of plans. Time is running short and both Professor Yew and Professor Slowking have been called away on important RBY business. Therefore someone else will be leading you guys to the Moltress Dormitory. But I’m getting ahead of myself.” Odalis coughed. “The winning performance is the one that was intricately planned and excellently executed. You’ve all tasted the results for yourself. I don’t think there are will be any complaints when I call Justin and Napoleon back on the stage. Please come up and claim your prize.”
Drawing the Articuno gift from his pocket, Odalis showed it to the audience.

Misty_special_lure_DP034.png

“This Misty Lure is a replica of an ancient relic found at the bottom of Articuno Lake. No one knows how it works, but it’s highly valued by the fishermen of RBY island and worth a good chuck of points. It is able to draw water pokemon from any lake, sea, or ocean within RBY’s vicinity. The water pokemon of this island just seem to love it. Though, if you plan on catching a water pokemon, you’d likely still have to battle it. Especially if you plan on cooking it.” Odalis smirked. "I look forward to seeing what the best chef of Kanto will bring to the Articuno Dormitory." His gaze swept the crowd. "Not just him and not just chefs either. For all students selected into the Articuno dorm, I'd like to congratulate you for being selected into the most diverse dormitory on campus. It's here in these elaborate halls that you'll meet some of the most creative and colorful pokemon trainers.

Articuno Lake

“There you are, Gwen! I’ve been looking all over for you!”

d719508622fa80a92c495ee7d0ed08c8.jpg

A small girl wearing a clown outfit turned as she heard herself being called. Perched on a large rock, she held in her hand a rather long fishing rod for her size. “Mina…”

“Professor Victor told me you’d run off while everyone was practicing for the Opening Ceremony.”
Mina moved to stand beside the rock, her arms folded across her chest as she checked her best friend. “What are you doing all the way out here?”

“I find it relaxing…it reminds me of home…”

“Are you homesick?”

Gwen didn’t reply. Instead, she pet the wild pidgey beside her. It had kept her company in her moments of loneliness.

Mina looked out towards the shimmering lake. Across the lake, she knew, was the Moltres dormitory. “The new students are here, you know. I bet they’re pretty nervous too. RBY's a pretty elite school after all.” She paused. “Met a guy that sucks at pokemon battling. He invited me to his room for some fruit tarts.” The pink haired girl glanced at her colorfully dressed friend. “Want to join me? If we’re lucky we’ll make it back before the Articuno challenge ends.”

Gwen hesitated for a moment, but then nodded. Waving goodbye to the pidgey that flew away, she reeled in the empty line, climbed down from the rock, and followed her friend back to the Articuno dormitory. Unbeknownst to her, the flying pokemon morphed, its body changing to that of a small pink creature as it zipped across the sky.

giphy.gif

To Be Continued in Episode 2.

(This song fits better)

Episode 1 has ended!

First of all, I'd like to apologize both for my lack of communication and my premature ending of Episode 1. I know I said I'd push through to the moltres dorm, but with that portion being heavily battles, and my desire to restructure how battling works in this rp, I think stopping here is a good point. No point in forcing things. Part of the reason for my lack of motivation is the shift in the gaming aspect. I can't edit in player pokemon, items, etc. The rolz room probably won't be needed anymore with the new dice system. I'm also considering a switch to quest format for easier plot progression, and I feel it better suits my original design for the rp, but I'm still on the fence about that...

Either way, I wanna thank all the players that made characters for Episode 1. Especially all the ones that stuck around until now. I didn't give much to work with in terms of plot since the main purpose of ep 1 was just to establish the setting. Slice of life. School life. Give yourselves a pat on the back for making it as far as we have.​

Theo713 Theo713 , GasMaskie GasMaskie , hosaki hosaki , Lucem Lucem , clarinetti clarinetti

Users who are viewing this thread

Back