• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Pokémon (For Adults) Interest Check!

I'm very interested in this RP! I'll check out your OOC forum. I don't think I have any questions right now but I'll let you know if I do.

The different Trainer types from the games like Pokémon Rangers, Gamblers, Ace Trainers, etc, do not exist. If you're a Pokémon Trainer, you're a Pokémon Trainer. Plain and simple. No labels.

That seems a bit limiting. I mean it can't be a job or all we are, I get that, but if I have an idea for an entomologist trainer who still carries the net he used to catch caterpie in when he was a kid, wouldn't that character, in effect, be "Bugcatcher Raymond?" Is the rule that we can't have a kind of dominant theme for the kinds of Pokemon we like to catch or how we view them? That's kind of the key for whether I want to join or not.

That seems a bit limiting. I mean it can't be a job or all we are, I get that, but if I have an idea for an entomologist trainer who still carries the net he used to catch caterpie in when he was a kid, wouldn't that character, in effect, be "Bugcatcher Raymond?" Is the rule that we can't have a kind of dominant theme for the kinds of Pokemon we like to catch or how we view them? That's kind of the key for whether I want to join or not.

I don't think he means that, I think he just means the titles. There isn't anything limiting what kinds of Pokemon you can catch, but I think it's simply the title or the label. I don't think it would be "Bugcatcher Raymond" but that Raymond just uses bug Pokemon.

I don't think he means that, I think he just means the titles. There isn't anything limiting what kinds of Pokemon you can catch, but I think it's simply the title or the label. I don't think it would be "Bugcatcher Raymond" but that Raymond just uses bug Pokemon.

Right, and I don't have a problem with that. It's just that I'd like to have a kind of theme going and I didn't know if even that's "too unrealistic."

Steel Accord Steel Accord - Illusionus Illusionus is correct. There are no labels or titles in this RP. If you want to catch Pokemon which create a theme and tout yourself as a "Bug Pokemon Trainer", you're welcome to do that. But there are no specific labels or titles for Trainers who do such things such as "Bugcatcher so and so". That's just stupid in my honest opinion, and very much part of the "child friendly" element of the games which doesn't make sense in a realistic setting aimed more at adults than children.

Fenrir Loki Fenrir Loki - It is still open and accepting new characters. If you have questions about the RP, please voice them sooner rather than later because the last thing I want to do is shoot down a character because someone didn't read all the info or ignored details in previous posts.

Hige Hige - Glad to hear it. Same sentiments as those I gave Fenrir Loki.

ChoShadow ChoShadow

So how would ghost pokemon be interpreted in this setting?

Very carefully.

Ghost Pokemon have both a physical and non-physical state. The physical state is their primary state, and the non-physical state is what they often use when attacking or evading attacks. However that state costs stamina to maintain, so the more often they use it the more fatigued they become.

That's about as far as I can let ghost Pokemon go. If there's no cost to their non-physical state, they can abuse it and basically be invincible against anything except psychic and dark types which is BS.

Very carefully.

Ghost Pokemon have both a physical and non-physical state. The physical state is their primary state, and the non-physical state is what they often use when attacking or evading attacks. However that state costs stamina to maintain, so the more often they use it the more fatigued they become.

That's about as far as I can let ghost Pokemon go. If there's no cost to their non-physical state, they can abuse it and basically be invincible against anything except psychic and dark types which is BS.

Oh, I meant like how the world interprets them. I mean, a lot of folklore surrounding them links them to the afterlife or the occult. Does that have ramifications on human spirituality in this world?

Secondly, how are fighting types interpreted in the setting? (They're my two fave types.)

Oh, I meant like how the world interprets them. I mean, a lot of folklore surrounding them links them to the afterlife or the occult. Does that have ramifications on human spirituality in this world?

Secondly, how are fighting types interpreted in the setting? (They're my two fave types.)

The RP is not canon to the games/manga/anime, so whatever lore which surrounds them in those settings does not apply here. Throw whatever you know about them from the games/anime/manga out the window.

Given that this is the case, however, you are free to make up your own legends and myths surrounding the ghost types so long as they're believable and fall within the realm of "realism" the RP is going for. If you're unsure if something you come up with is crossing the line, bring it to me and I'll check it over. If I think it's too much, I'll say so. If I think it's good, then it's in.

And as for fighting types, they're pretty straightforward.

Their bodies have higher concentrations of muscle strands per muscle group than those of humans. All other constraints being equal, fighting type Pokemon are considerably stronger than a human of equal size. Consequently they are also more physically powerful than other Pokemon of relatively equal or greater size.

But their strength does have its limits.

How strong are they?

Machamp cannot break, move, or throw mountains with only one arm. That much is certain. Such a feat is impossible given the physics behind it. Machamp is only 5' 3", and weighs roughly 286lbs of raw muscle. Even considering higher muscle fiber density, there's no way in hell it's going to move a mountain with one arm. However it would easily be capable of moving a boulder which is between two and three times its own size with one arm. Using all four, it could pick up said boulder and throw it for well over 50ft. But that's about as strong as Machamp gets.

Make sense?

Also I feel I should mention that this physical advantage only extends to the strength department. It does not translate to speed or agility. While they would definitely be faster than the average human, their speed is limited by their brain's ability to interpret the world in real time. Their eyes can only take in information for their brain to process so fast, and I'm not about to change the rate at which their brains interpret incoming information. Their agility as well has more to do with flexibility and reaction times, both of which are relatively "normal" in the world of Pokemon.

So while fighting types will always hold a strength edge over Pokemon of equal or mildly greater sizes than them, they won't always be faster or more reactive.

Realism sucks sometimes, doesn't it?

How would fish-like water types fit in to the world? Would you only be able to use a Pokémon like glodeen when battling in a area with enough water for it to swim around?

How would fish-like water types fit in to the world? Would you only be able to use a Pokémon like glodeen when battling in a area with enough water for it to swim around?

Yep. A fish out of water is a fish courting death by suffocation.

The RP is not canon to the games/manga/anime, so whatever lore which surrounds them in those settings does not apply here. Throw whatever you know about them from the games/anime/manga out the window.

Given that this is the case, however, you are free to make up your own legends and myths surrounding the ghost types so long as they're believable and fall within the realm of "realism" the RP is going for. If you're unsure if something you come up with is crossing the line, bring it to me and I'll check it over. If I think it's too much, I'll say so. If I think it's good, then it's in.

And as for fighting types, they're pretty straightforward.

Their bodies have higher concentrations of muscle strands per muscle group than those of humans. All other constraints being equal, fighting type Pokemon are considerably stronger than a human of equal size. Consequently they are also more physically powerful than other Pokemon of relatively equal or greater size.

But their strength does have its limits.

How strong are they?

Machamp cannot break, move, or throw mountains with only one arm. That much is certain. Such a feat is impossible given the physics behind it. Machamp is only 5' 3", and weighs roughly 286lbs of raw muscle. Even considering higher muscle fiber density, there's no way in hell it's going to move a mountain with one arm. However it would easily be capable of moving a boulder which is between two and three times its own size with one arm. Using all four, it could pick up said boulder and throw it for well over 50ft. But that's about as strong as Machamp gets.

Make sense?

Also I feel I should mention that this physical advantage only extends to the strength department. It does not translate to speed or agility. While they would definitely be faster than the average human, their speed is limited by their brain's ability to interpret the world in real time. Their eyes can only take in information for their brain to process so fast, and I'm not about to change the rate at which their brains interpret incoming information. Their agility as well has more to do with flexibility and reaction times, both of which are relatively "normal" in the world of Pokemon.

So while fighting types will always hold a strength edge over Pokemon of equal or mildly greater sizes than them, they won't always be faster or more reactive.

Realism sucks sometimes, doesn't it?

Not at all. Your own vehement distaste for the traditional canon is what's more off putting. No personal offense intended as I totally understand wanting a more mature take on the material after years of unended fascination hasn't dimmed but the franchise has not branched out in terms of tone or attitude.

"Hate" and "stupid" are just kind of strong words when applied to something like Pokémon is all.

In any case, I think I have a pretty good idea for who I want to be. One last question though, what would be the regulations for fly? Like are trainers not allowed to ride aerial Pokémon in cities or certain regions?

Not at all. Your own vehement distaste for the traditional canon is what's more off putting. No personal offense intended as I totally understand wanting a more mature take on the material after years of unended fascination hasn't dimmed but the franchise has not branched out in terms of tone or attitude.

"Hate" and "stupid" are just kind of strong words when applied to something like Pokémon is all.

In any case, I think I have a pretty good idea for who I want to be. One last question though, what would be the regulations for fly? Like are trainers not allowed to ride aerial Pokémon in cities or certain regions?

To be fair, I don't despise the source material of Pokemon itself. I still love the games and the potential the manga/anime had early on before they started adding what I feel are too many generations which complicated things.

What I despise is the lack of realistic expectation in the material such as society allowing children to go off on dangerous journeys, Pokemon being able to bend or completely defy the laws of physics, a lack of consistency in the manga/anime amongst Pokemon abilities, Ash never growing up, the idea that "dangerous" organizations like the various enemy Teams are child's play to defeat to the point where a single child can defeat the entire organization by themselves with no outside help from law enforcement or anything, etc, etc. Those are the aspects of the franchise which I cannot stand. Unrealistic expectations which again are aimed at children which (for me at least) ruin what otherwise would be a fantastic franchise.

If Game Freak and Nintendo would take a chance and make Pokemon a bit more mature in its expectations and presentation, I'd consider it a near flawless franchise.

But anyway, enough of my griping.

Outside of major locations of importance such as the Pokemon League areas of each region (Indigo Plateau in Kanto, for instance) or the Pokemon Olympic Stadium (location being created and decided on), there are no serious restrictions on flying. So long as your Pokemon is physically strong enough to carry your weight, you can use it as a mode of transportation wherever you want.

Are we going with canon sizes of pokemon? because then bugs are about the size of a dog.
Whats the rule on pokemon region diversity? are pokemon restricted to the regions they'd normally be in or are they in any region so long as the environment is normal?
Is the miniaturization technology found in pokeballs widespread?

Are we going with canon sizes of pokemon? because then bugs are about the size of a dog.
Whats the rule on pokemon region diversity? are pokemon restricted to the regions they'd normally be in or are they in any region so long as the environment is normal?
Is the miniaturization technology found in pokeballs widespread?

Pokemon are not bound to the regions they are native to in the games. So long as their presence makes sense given the environment, you'll find them there.

No. The tech the Poke Ball uses to "miniaturize" a Pokemon to make them fit inside the ball is not going to be a thing around the world. The Poke Ball is unique, and no other tech or device will ever do the same thing.

No. The tech the Poke Ball uses to "miniaturize" a Pokemon to make them fit inside the ball is not going to be a thing around the world. The Poke Ball is unique, and no other tech or device will ever do the same thing.

Do you mind going into detail why that is lore-wise? How the pokeball minaturization works and why it can't be a thing anywhere else? it seems inconsistent if we're going to have them around but not use the technology elsewhere.

Do you mind going into detail why that is lore-wise? How the pokeball minaturization works and why it can't be a thing anywhere else? it seems inconsistent if we're going to have them around but not use the technology elsewhere.

It has nothing to do with lore and everything to do with simplicity and that fact that the Poke Ball must exist for this to be a Pokemon RP. The Poke Ball is the single biggest staple of the entire franchise. Without the Poke Ball, you don't have Pokemon. Plain and simple.

I don't care what goes on inside a Poke Ball to make it work because I already know that whatever is going on is unrealistic and defies the laws of physics. But again without the Poke Ball you don't have a Pokemon franchise. So the Poke Ball is the only thing in this RP that will use whatever unrealistic tech that makes the Poke Ball work the way it does.

Also neither the anime, manga, or games ever made reference to the tech of the Poke Ball, nor did they show the same kind of tech being used anywhere other than a Poke Ball. Even if this RP isn't canon, I feel no obligation to dive deeper than the games/anime/manga did into the subject.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back