• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Pokémon (For Adults) Interest Check!

Hey, I'm interested in this as well. Do you have any more room? I'm interested on playing an EMT character or maybe part of the police force. Might change though, not sure.

This is actually a really neat idea. I would absolutely love to be part of this roleplay, but I do have just a couple of questions that I would like to ask if you wouldn't mind. I could ask here of via private messaging. Whichever you'd like.

Hey, I'm interested in this as well. Do you have any more room? I'm interested on playing an EMT character or maybe part of the police force. Might change though, not sure.

There will always be room for more people in this RP.

This is actually a really neat idea. I would absolutely love to be part of this roleplay, but I do have just a couple of questions that I would like to ask if you wouldn't mind. I could ask here of via private messaging. Whichever you'd like.

You can ask here. I'll get back as soon as I can.

Alright so I have a couple questions I can think of at the moment. One of them is concerning the use of Technical and Hidden Machines. Are they going to be a thing and, if so, are they multiple use and how would they be used. Do Pokemon battles and gym battles work the same, and how does the prize money work? Do you always get it or are there wagers and bets on battles?

My biggest question is about befriending Pokemon. I know that there will be no "capture by befriending" but what about domestic Pokemon? Things like Pokemon who were domesticated and have been with a trainer for a long time.

Alright so I have a couple questions I can think of at the moment. One of them is concerning the use of Technical and Hidden Machines. Are they going to be a thing and, if so, are they multiple use and how would they be used. Do Pokemon battles and gym battles work the same, and how does the prize money work? Do you always get it or are there wagers and bets on battles?

My biggest question is about befriending Pokemon. I know that there will be no "capture by befriending" but what about domestic Pokemon? Things like Pokemon who were domesticated and have been with a trainer for a long time.

TM's and HM's are a video game game mechanic and are not in the RP. All TM and HM techniques are moves which can be learned by Pokemon naturally or by the Trainer helping them figure it out.

Pokemon battles in the wild are a free-for-all. There are no rules on how to go about battling and capturing Pokemon save one: killing a wild Pokemon, unless absolutely necessary as an act of self-preservation of your own life or the life of your Pokemon, is forbidden.

Pokemon hunting is not allowed except in very specific and limited areas where overpopulation demands that hunting be utilized for population control, so you can imagine that Pokemon poaching is frowned upon though is still a thing.

Pokemon Trainer Battles, Gym Battles, Pokemon League Battles, Pokemon Olympic Battles, etc, etc. All of them are fought as any real fight would be. The Trainer who can issue orders the fastest and make the best use of their Pokemon's respective abilities will win. There is no turn-by-turn rules, nor is it even expected. If you know your Pokemon well enough to issue commands quickly one right after the other, you have every right to keep hammering away until your opponent can no longer battle or the Trainer recalls them which is, according to Pokemon League rules, a forfeit.

Recalling them in the games had no consequence, but in officially designated matches such as all those listed above this RP Pokemon League counts it as a loss.

Lastly, Pokemon who were captured, tamed, and domesticated for a long time will be seen in the RP, but we will not be making use of them. It's too easy to say "Oh my character's dad caught this Pokemon in this form a long time ago and it evolved into its final form and, even though it's a bit older, it's still a badass. So that's my starter." I doubt that is what you had in mind, but I've seen it happen before in my Pokemon RP's that someone tries to use that little bit of backstory and they end up trying to God-Mode their way through the early stages of the RP.

So even though long-time tamed and domesticated Pokemon will be seen, we will not have any of our own unless they remain at home and out of our adventure. Make sense?

what do people eat if everything is a pokemon

What do you think?

Fried Magikarp (as but one example among hundreds of thousands of Pokemon based meals) is pretty good if you haven't tasted it yet. That and regular fruits and vegetables.

oh i thought you were saying that pokemon hunting was illegal

Except in specific and limited zones where overpopulation is an issue. That and regular Pokemon facilities which breed Pokemon specifically for slaughter to satisfy human consumption needs.

Obviously there needs to be compromises made to sustain human existence. But just hunting to hunt is illegal. There is no "Pokemon Hunting" sport that is tolerated.

Lastly, Pokemon who were captured, tamed, and domesticated for a long time will be seen in the RP, but we will not be making use of them. It's too easy to say "Oh my character's dad caught this Pokemon in this form a long time ago and it evolved into its final form and, even though it's a bit older, it's still a badass. So that's my starter." I doubt that is what you had in mind, but I've seen it happen before in my Pokemon RP's that someone tries to use that little bit of backstory and they end up trying to God-Mode their way through the early stages of the RP.

So even though long-time tamed and domesticated Pokemon will be seen, we will not have any of our own unless they remain at home and out of our adventure. Make sense?

Yeah that all makes sense, but for domesticated Pokemon I had a different case, but I'll get to that in just a sec. The other question I forgot to mention is about evolution and battle items. Are battle items a thing and how will they be used? And for evolution, other than stone and trade evolution, how will they work?

For my specific case, I planned on having my character having had a young Pokemon who would've been bought from a domestic breeder and and given to my character at a younger age. Obviously the Pokemon wouldn't be in it's final form, maybe the first or second, but would something like that be okay?

Yeah that all makes sense, but for domesticated Pokemon I had a different case, but I'll get to that in just a sec. The other question I forgot to mention is about evolution and battle items. Are battle items a thing and how will they be used? And for evolution, other than stone and trade evolution, how will they work?

For my specific case, I planned on having my character having had a young Pokemon who would've been bought from a domestic breeder and and given to my character at a younger age. Obviously the Pokemon wouldn't be in it's final form, maybe the first or second, but would something like that be okay?

Battle items are not a thing.

Evolution is a combination of age, experience, and necessity.

In very, very rare instances, the last one can override the first two entirely. For example if Josephine had a Pokemon with her who was in its second of three stages, and they were fighting against Team Rocket and Josephine's life was suddenly put in extreme danger to the point where she might not make it unless something drastic happens... Her Pokemon could force itself to evolve in order to gain the strength or abilities needed to save her life. For instance if she were shot in the side and, in pain and shock, fell off a building and her Pokemon's final form had wings, it could force itself to evolve and race off the building to catch her and fly her to safety.

But typically evolution is a combination of age and experience. The more often the Pokemon is subjected to battle, the faster its evolution is expedited. Typically a Pokemon will evolve into its second form (if it has one) by age 2 or 3, and then into its final form by age 5. Most Pokemon live an average of 10-20 years, though some can live much longer either naturally or due to proper care from their Trainers.

For the most part Pokemon life expectancies are negotiable, but here are a few example of how I'm thinking they'll be handled in this RP:

* Smaller Pokemon typically live between 8-10 years in the wild, and sometimes hit 14-16 in a Trainer's care.
* Mid-size Pokemon (3' to 6') typically live between 12-20 years in the wild, sometimes hitting 25 to 28 in a Trainer's care.
* Large Pokemon (7'+) typically can live between 20-30 years in the wild, but in the hands of a good Trainer can sometimes hit 50+.

Pokemon are pretty long-lived creatures in this RP, and most people will grow up with their Pokemon.

For that reason, I will allow you to follow through with your idea... But there's one catch to it.

Until your character has acquired his Pokemon Trainer's License (something he cannot do until age 18), he's not legally allowed to have a Pokemon in his possession or under his "care". So sadly the earliest he's allowed to officially "own" his Pokemon is age 18 once he's acquired his license.

And to answer the question before it pops up, Pokemon which belonged to parents of children which now live at home and don't battle are still considered the property of the parent who caught them. Anyone under the age of 18, though allowed to interact with the Pokemon under the parent's supervision, are not allowed to "own" them.

So for your character, if you want their relationship to have developed at a younger age that's fine. But the Pokemon will legally belong to his parents until he comes of age and acquires his Pokemon Trainer's License. At that point his parent who bought the Pokemon from the Breeder can surrender the right to said Pokemon to him and officially make it his.

Make sense?

Battle items are not a thing.

Evolution is a combination of age, experience, and necessity.

In very, very rare instances, the last one can override the first two entirely. For example if Josephine had a Pokemon with her who was in its second of three stages, and they were fighting against Team Rocket and Josephine's life was suddenly put in extreme danger to the point where she might not make it unless something drastic happens... Her Pokemon could force itself to evolve in order to gain the strength or abilities needed to save her life. For instance if she were shot in the side and, in pain and shock, fell off a building and her Pokemon's final form had wings, it could force itself to evolve and race off the building to catch her and fly her to safety.

But typically evolution is a combination of age and experience. The more often the Pokemon is subjected to battle, the faster its evolution is expedited. Typically a Pokemon will evolve into its second form (if it has one) by age 2 or 3, and then into its final form by age 5. Most Pokemon live an average of 10-20 years, though some can live much longer either naturally or due to proper care from their Trainers.

For the most part Pokemon life expectancies are negotiable, but here are a few example of how I'm thinking they'll be handled in this RP:

* Smaller Pokemon typically live between 8-10 years in the wild, and sometimes hit 14-16 in a Trainer's care.
* Mid-size Pokemon (3' to 6') typically live between 12-20 years in the wild, sometimes hitting 25 to 28 in a Trainer's care.
* Large Pokemon (7'+) typically can live between 20-30 years in the wild, but in the hands of a good Trainer can sometimes hit 50+.

Pokemon are pretty long-lived creatures in this RP, and most people will grow up with their Pokemon.

For that reason, I will allow you to follow through with your idea... But there's one catch to it.

Until your character has acquired his Pokemon Trainer's License (something he cannot do until age 18), he's not legally allowed to have a Pokemon in his possession or under his "care". So sadly the earliest he's allowed to officially "own" his Pokemon is age 18 once he's acquired his license.

And to answer the question before it pops up, Pokemon which belonged to parents of children which now live at home and don't battle are still considered the property of the parent who caught them. Anyone under the age of 18, though allowed to interact with the Pokemon under the parent's supervision, are not allowed to "own" them.

So for your character, if you want their relationship to have developed at a younger age that's fine. But the Pokemon will legally belong to his parents until he comes of age and acquires his Pokemon Trainer's License. At that point his parent who bought the Pokemon from the Breeder can surrender the right to said Pokemon to him and officially make it his.

Make sense?

That sounds perfect! It's basically the case of you having a dog when you're younger and live with your parents. You help take care of them, but they technically have custody of it. Also, I really like that you're making the legal age of owning Pokemon 18 instead of the ridiculous 10 age.

That sounds perfect! It's basically the case of you having a dog when you're younger and live with your parents. You help take care of them, but they technically have custody of it. Also, I really like that you're making the legal age of owning Pokemon 18 instead of the ridiculous 10 age.

That was the single most idiotic thing about the Pokemon manga/anime I ever saw, and I hate it. No society in their right mind, no matter the circumstances, would EVER let a 10 year old go out into the world with nothing but a young and inexperienced Pokemon by their side. How many times has Ash almost gotten himself and his friends killed already? I lost count in the first season.

That was the single most idiotic thing about the Pokemon manga/anime I ever saw, and I hate it. No society in their right mind, no matter the circumstances, would EVER let a 10 year old go out into the world with nothing but a young and inexperienced Pokemon by their side. How many times has Ash almost gotten himself and his friends killed already? I lost count in the first season.
Lmao I feel you. I mean it's anime and manga logic. Just look at the shitty police force XD

I just realized I forgot to address the issue of prize money... It's not a thing.

Instead there is a different system in place.

Trainers who elect to become vagabonds, participate in the Pokemon Gym Leader's Challenge, the Pokemon League, Pokemon Olympics, etc, etc, have to work for their living money just as anyone else does. There are numerous facilities in every major and minor city throughout each region dedicated to helping them find quick and easy work with high payout to assist them on their adventures. These facilities are often the same as their regular everyday counterparts, but they exist solely to support the Trainers who have elected not to hold down a permanent and steady career.

Those who acquire a Pokemon Trainer's License but choose a steady and life-long career pursuit do not go through this process. They earn regular jobs and do their jobs like regular, everyday people. The only difference is they're licensed to capture and raise Pokemon.

Make sense?

I just realized I forgot to address the issue of prize money... It's not a thing.

Instead there is a different system in place.

Trainers who elect to become vagabonds, participate in the Pokemon Gym Leader's Challenge, the Pokemon League, Pokemon Olympics, etc, etc, have to work for their living money just as anyone else does. There are numerous facilities in every major and minor city throughout each region dedicated to helping them find quick and easy work with high payout to assist them on their adventures. These facilities are often the same as their regular everyday counterparts, but they exist solely to support the Trainers who have elected not to hold down a permanent and steady career.

Those who acquire a Pokemon Trainer's License but choose a steady and life-long career pursuit do not go through this process. They earn regular jobs and do their jobs like regular, everyday people. The only difference is they're licensed to capture and raise Pokemon.

Make sense?

So basically a temp agency?

So basically a temp agency?

I guess you could call it that. The Pokemon League guarantees those who have their Trainer's License a method of sustenance if they don't choose a steady career, but only enough to get by. Even these jobs only give just enough to help the Trainers stay on their feet if they don't have some other method of income.

Sooo.. if somebody needs a nest of Rattata removed from their basement they post a job flyer at these little buildings in the hopes that a qualified Trainer will take the job in order to receive money?

Sooo.. if somebody needs a nest of Rattata removed from their basement they post a job flyer at these little buildings in the hopes that a qualified Trainer will take the job in order to receive money?

Not quite. That's a personal pest problem which would facilitate a professional Pokemon Removal/Relocation Expert.

Try not to get too deep into this. It's a minor facet of the RP which you will likely never use or gloss over in passing. The majority of your RP experience is you and your Pokemon.

The facilities I'm talking about are everyday facilities like restaurants, shops, businesses and other service providers (couriers, street advertisers with the signs, Pokemon watchers/walkers (like a dog watcher or sitter), etc) who only hire those who have a Pokemon Trainer's License and who can prove via a quick background check that they do not have a steady career (literally just give the potential employer your Pokedex and it will provide your work history). The Trainers are allowed to work for a full day (between 8-12 hours) for a decent amount of pay which should sustain them for around two weeks if they are careful with their spending.

But unlike Ash in the show who never had to work for money to buy Poke Balls, our Trainers DO have to work for the things they want/need on their adventure. But since it's a minor facet which I don't want everyone wasting too much time on, you can casually mention that you did a day's work at so and so's establishment to acquire the funds needed to restock on Poke Balls, healing items, and food supplies.

Make sense?

So, if you can earn enough money to live off of for 2 weeks in a day, why do people work? Also, do the jobs from the temp agency utilize tasks that require pokemon? Or are they just random odd jobs that anyone can do? If they're just odd jobs, why don't normal civilians do them? It seems like it'd be cheaper to hire someone who doesn't need 2 weeks worth of pay for 8-12 hours of work.

So, if you can earn enough money to live off of for 2 weeks in a day, why do people work? Also, do the jobs from the temp agency utilize tasks that require pokemon? Or are they just random odd jobs that anyone can do? If they're just odd jobs, why don't normal civilians do them? It seems like it'd be cheaper to hire someone who doesn't need 2 weeks worth of pay for 8-12 hours of work.

You're thinking about this too much, but I'll answer your questions all the same.

1) People work because these jobs are only available to Trainers. Everyday civilians still have normal day jobs. If they don't have jobs or careers, how do they live or take care of their families? The money to buy their homes, pay the mortgage, pay taxes, pay for groceries and amenities, etc, has to come from somewhere.

2) Yes, the jobs available to Trainers require Pokemon... Sometimes. Sometimes your job will be heavy lifting, and if you've a solid Fighting Type like Machoke they can do it no sweat without you lifting a finger. Some of the jobs require Pokemon, some of them do not, and some of them request things of you and your Pokemon. For example being a one-day server at a restaurant might require Pokemon if the owner asks your Pokemon to do some sort of performance to entertain the customers.

3) Normal civilians don't do these jobs because they're normal everyday people with normal everyday lives. They run the mail service, they run the regular shops where you buy furniture, silverware and plates, general goods, food, clothing, games, computers, they work at big businesses and major corporations. You get the idea. Normal people don't do these "Trainer" jobs because they have real steady careers and jobs to worry about where Pokemon are not a factor.

4) The reason these Trainer focus jobs exist is because, as I mentioned before, the Pokemon League is dedicated to helping those who become Pokemon Trainers to stay on their feet.

Why? Because the Pokemon League gets a MAJOR return on investment for doing so.

The Pokemon League basically runs everything Pokemon related. They run the Gym Leader's Challenge. They run the Pokemon League Challenge. The Pokemon Olympics. The Pokemon Contests. They fund public Pokemon Breeder facilities not run privately by an individual. They provide all the Pokemon food of the world as well as manufacture the Pokedex and Poke Balls.

Anything and everything related to Pokemon in human society has a connection to the League. It's a business, and a BIG one at that.

As an example of how everything is related to the League whether they say so or not:

Every Pokemon Gym in the world has a news team which basically lives in it. This team will broadcast any and every battle between the Gym Leader and their respective challenger across their respective news network. This news coverage leads to advertisement income, pay-per-view income, etc, etc. All that generated income from ads and pay-per-view goes right back to the League. So while they help pay a small amount to a Trainer, just enough to get them by for a couple weeks, they make all of it and more right back the moment a single Trainer sets so much as one toe inside a Gym Leader's building.

Every major Pokemon event also has similar coverage. Sometimes it's worldwide coverage for things like the Pokemon Olympics and the Pokemon League Challenge itself. That global broadcast advertisement income alone, to say nothing of all the other ways they make money off of them, is $$$$$$ for the League.

For every Trainer they pay in these odd little jobs, they make that money back ten times over.

The Pokemon League is a worldwide corporation dedicated to helping Pokemon Trainers, but underneath that convenient and friendly slogan is a vicious business model which helps keep the League going and the world of Trainers entertained and satisfied.

But again, this is all behind the scenes stuff which we won't ever have to worry about. All you need to worry about is the fact that these jobs exist and are easy ways to quickly earn enough cash to get you back on your adventure without you having to stop repeatedly for long periods of time because that would bore you rather quickly and make you want to leave the RP.

Lastly - While this is not something you asked about, it's something worth mentioning.

The term "Pokemon Trainer" applies to EVERYONE who has acquired a Trainer's License regardless of whether or not they have a stable career, and these little jobs are only for Trainers who do not have some kind of steady career.

Trainers without a steady career make up around 45% of the licensed Trainer population worldwide, so it's really no big deal for these little one-day work businesses to operate and help pay a Trainer's way for a day and then let them move on. The instant that Trainer is out the door after having finished their 8-12 hours of work, another Trainer comes in asking for a day's work because they also need the money.

As for why people would bother with these kinds of places if there are "normal" ones?

One word: Entertainment.

The option to go to a restaurant where Trainers work is the only time normal people, especially those who are not licensed Trainers and who have no Pokemon of their own, can go to eat for a night and see Pokemon performing acts of entertainment up close while they eat. Most normal people who are not Trainers don't see Pokemon in their day to day lives except for on tv or maybe seeing a few Pidgey or Spearow flying by their workplace windows. So why NOT go to a restaurant with Trainers who make up the staff once in a while? Maybe they'll see a rare Pokemon up close, take a few pictures, and make a happy memory out of it.

So while there are normal versions of these jobs everywhere, people often take time out of their day to enjoy what the Trainers and their Pokemon provide in these services.

______________________(Takes a BIG BREATH)______________________​

PHEW!!

Okay.

With that all out of the way I'd like you to stop worrying about this stuff so much. Again these little one-day jobs, silly as they sound, are just a way for you to casually make money as you go about your adventure without taking you out of it. That way you don't waste time stopping to work for several days or weeks IC and can get right back into things. A single sentence, sometimes two, will take care of the entire thing and then you're right back into the thick of your adventure.

Example:

"Stopping off in Celadon City Josephine took up a job working as a greeter at a Pokemon Perfume Store featuring the owner's Chansey who handed out samples. This earned her enough cash to restock with ten new Poke Balls, two Potions, and a good supply of food and materials to prep her for the road."

Make sense?

Quick and easy.

Mention you worked a job, and you're back into your adventure without fanfare.

THAT'S the purpose of these little odd jobs.

It's not to confuse you or make things more complicated. It's to give you an easy way to get the money your character will need to move forward without stopping repeatedly for long periods of time.

........ Also.

While I'm on the subject of money (I'll be sure to add this to the OOC page), Poke Balls, Potions and other healing items, etc, do NOT cost what they do in the games. They're much, much cheaper. A single Poke Ball is around $25 because the Pokemon League mass produces them like nobody's business.

There are no other types of Poke Balls because I find that feature in the games fun for the games, but impractical in any realistic setting. How can you make a Poke Ball that's "better" at capturing a specific kind of Pokemon? What do you do to it that makes it better or stronger?

So only Poke Balls exist.

That about covers most of what you asked. If I missed anything, let me know.

Thanks. Fair warning: I'm gonna ask a lot of unnecessary questions like that one. It helps to build lore and understand the world around us, even if I don't write anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back