• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Pleasure to Serve

Superherochic88

Ariana looked out her window at the cherry blossom tree beginning to bloom. The sun was going down. Her master would wake soon. She got a couple hours of sleep, and readied herself for the night. She dressed in a lavender sundress, complinenting her tan complexion nicely. She had seen so much in her 20 years of life: war, famine, economic depression, vampires. Her life was not what she expected. She added a very small amount of blush to her cheeks, then brushed her long brown hair. She lived the life of a servant. She had heard of many humans treated poorly as servants, but she must have been one of the lucky ones. Her master gave her a decent room with a bed, food, a decent life. She walked down the long hallway, lit by the moon. She prayed she wouldn't run into Maria, a female vampire. She looked up, her wish didn't come true. "Well,well....huuuuuuman." Her eyes were violet and white-blonde hair. "Where is he?" Ariana bows politely telling her that he was in chamber. She was taught to have manners for her superiors, though she didn't care for Maria...it wasn't worth dying over. Maria glares st her. "Your dress is awful " as she opens the solid wood doors to his room, as Ariana begs. "Please don't wake him." She got scolded a week before for some one barging in. Ariana knew she was in trouble when Maria called for the male in her ringing voice. Maria smirked knowing this.

Maria smiled, she thought humans should be groveling at her feet. She was going to get herself a new servant this week...she was a bit too rough on the last one and killed him. She was like a cat playing with a scared, tortured mouse between its claws before eating it.

Twenty years was the blink of an eye to the vampire known as Stephan Marion. He had seen much in his many centuries. He had been alive before humans were enslaved. Unlike some of his kin, though, he had not forgotten that they were once human, and that they required humans to live. It was what he attributed his wealth to.

His mansion was well-guarded, by vampires and humans alike. It was home to a few non-guard vampires as well. ‘Though I don’t know what I’m doing with her around.’ He was disturbed from his thoughts that day. One of his humans brought him word of the auction that day. Apparently, there were a few interesting finds.

It didn’t draw the eye of those who sat in their ivory thrones and called themselves rulers of vampires, but they weren’t close enough to the ground to know what interesting was. A few of those to be sold sounded more like rebels than run-of-the-mill servants. It was tempting to go to the auction and discover if it were true. Stephan had been meaning to get in touch with the human resistance for quite a while. It was just difficult to do so.

Those in the ivory thrones would come down and execute him if there was a whisper of rebellion.

He rose, brushed an exasperated hand back through his blonde hair, and exited. The human messenger followed behind. Stephan was awake, of course. He rarely slept, though he’d told them all that. He had business during the daylight hours with the blood farms that he owned, and during the day he could monitor the comings and goings of some of his human servants, and hear the news they brought immediately.

“Maria,” his voice was sharp as he walked into the lounge area, dressed in his black suit, a red tie underneath it. He fixed the vampiress with a cold stare, narrowing his red eyes. He knew who to hold responsible, even if he saw Ariana trailing after the woman. “What business do you have that you feel the need to disturb me?” He knew he should be kinder. Maria’s infatuation with him was obvious, but more and more it bothered him.

She’d likely betray him, if he never returned her affections. He hadn’t figured out if her loyalty was worth pretending to be enamored with her or not. “I thought you needed to go to the auction.”

Ariana did not walk any farther into the room than she needed to, she wasn't one to be nosy, and knowing too much of the goings-on of a vampire wasn't necessarily a good thing. She knelt down to pick up the clothes off of the dark wood floor , watching Maria out of her perephrial vision. Ariana did not like Maria....something about her was so portentious, so fake. She felt as though some how she was using Stephan. She also knew Maria did not care for her very much either. Maria smiles at Stephan. "Why so cross?" She smirks. "Maybe you need some fresh faces around here. You can come to the auction with me and find a better SLAVE. I think they are lower than servants. They live at our mercy, so....needy." She sits upon his dresser, crossing her shapely legs. "I quite enjoy my play toy humans. But at some point, they get boring." She blows on her burgundy nail polish. "I quite enjoy the way a young strong man fights me off, but I always win." Ariana shook her head, not thinking. "Young lady! Come before me NOW." She called, snapping her fingers annoyed. "Did you just eavesdrop, and did you not shake your head at me???!!" Ariana bows her head respectfully. "I'm sorry." Maria puts her hands on her hips and clears her throat and Ariana corrects herself. "I'm sorry, Madam." Maria smirked victorious as Ariana turned to exit the room with the laundry, hating feeling scolded.

Maria couldn’t have gotten uglier in Stephan’s eyes. ‘She will never follow along.’ And yet, he had the delusion that he could save her. He had hoped that the kindness of his servants, their deference, and their respect, would show Maria that humanity was not a lost cause.

It didn’t seem to be working out at all.

His face remained expressionless as she spoke. Clearly, she did not recall the time when humans ruled—well, actually, he wasn’t even sure if she had been alive then. He waited until Ariana was sent away, imagining it was better for her to be gone for the moment. He would make a point to see her and apologize for Maria.

His eyes followed her out, and remained at the door when he addressed Maria. “I see you only wish to aggrandize yourself by speaking of your rapes and murders. I do not have the time for such petty boosting, I’m afraid.”

His red eyes returned to her. “You will remember your place as a guest in my house, and will refrain from ordering my staff in the future, Maria, if you wish to remain. This is why you have your own staff. If I see you doing so again, or if you disturb me for your pointless narcissism once more, I will have you removed from my estate. Am I clear?” He took on a tone he tended to use with those new to his staff, firm and stern, leaving no room for arguments. This was not the first time he had told Maria this, though he had been gentler in the past.

It would, however, be the last time he told her.

She walked to the laundry room, annoyed. She knew very little about human freedom, but it seemed like a wonderful fairy tale. She began a load of laundry, slamming the meal lid shut. She had heard a great deal of rhetoric rumblings underground from the resistance, but she just wasn't sure any of that would do any good. Humans were spread in smaller groups, families split apart, communication was very sparse between humans lately. She was grateful to Stephan's kindness. She didnt feel the need to rebel against him. Instead, it was people like Maria that fueled the resistance. After all, he allowed her to go to the market, and sometimes just outside in the sunshine. Maybe he also trusted that she did try to stay out of trouble. She mused about how "Old World" vampires seemed. It is as though they missed simpler times. There were no more department stores catering to human gluttony and over indulgence, now there were just small localized shops.

Maria felt indignant as he spoke to her, but she chose to let this one go. She didn't want to listen to him ramble about her narcissistic behavior. She was becoming disappointed in him though. She had such hopes....her thoughts snap back to reality. She decided maybe he would think different of her if she got herself a female. Maybe it would make her look a but sweeter. Maybe it would stop his nagging. For a male with so much, he showed too much kindness, or so she thought. She hopped down from the place she sat on the dresser. "So, are you coming to the auction with me?" She smiled as sweet as could be.

Stephan was pleased when the woman got off of his furniture, “No, I have no need of others at this moment,” nor did he want to spend more time in her presence right then. He’d consider making it up to her later, when she was in a better mood. “I still have some business to tend to here so far as financing my farms.” He didn’t. He’d finished that, but Maria didn’t need to know that. “I wish you luck in finding a new servant. Perhaps this one will last a while longer so you are not always hemorrhaging money.” A light smile did touch his lips, there. He phrased it as teasing.

Another of the reasons he was more well-off than some was the fact he did keep his servants alive for so long. He was not always going out to buy new ones like Maria, and so he was not always losing money to that endeavor. He wasn’t sure why so many vampires enjoyed doing that. Maria certainly wasn’t the only one who got bored with her servants so quickly—it was why breeding farms were becoming popular, after all. He didn’t own any of those, though he did make purchases from them.

Blood farms needed humans to donate blood, after all.

Ariana finally came back from the laundry room into the kitchen. It was time for her to go to the market. She needed food, and she always got extra in case Stephan got a fancy to eat something. She wasn't sure if she should bother him if he was still with Maria. So she scrawled across a piece of paper and stuck it to the front door. -WENT TO THE MARKET. BE BACK SHORTLY.-

She hums as she walks toward the town. Humans were not permitted to drive, as they had zero status. She didn't mind, though the walk was long, it was a sunny day, though she grimaced seeing the clouds moving in. 'Gotta be quick.'

At the market, there was a young man, Mark, who was a strong part of the rebellion, always trying to fish for information, and she wanted no part of getting into trouble, though today....angry at Maria, she was tempted for a brief instant.

She finished her shopping, on her way back she saw a pretty green dress in the window. For a moment she forgot the impending storm as she imagined herself in the dress. Then, a rain drop fell upon her eyelashes. She cursed the 5 mile walk to Stephan's estate, damning the rain. By the time she arrived at the covered arbor along the walk way to the front door, she was soaked from head to toe, her clothes clung to her body, her lovely hair soaked. She sighed as she came in, quietly closing the solid door. Placing the bags on the counter, she began to unload the groceries, shivering from being drenched by rain, feeling the cool of the air conditioning in the home .

Maria knew Stephan was right, she did spend a lot on her slaves. She mused for a moment about not killing her slaves, but others.....she smirked 'At least I won't have to pay for it.' She went to the auction and found many strong, attractive, human men with a bit of fight. She bit her lip at how tempting they were. She needed to do right by Stephan to win him to her scheming so she let the men go to the others. She looked around for a proper female.

Once Maria had left, Stephan turned to his servant and then said, “Please follow her. Here,” he took a letter of passage from his pocket and handed it to the man, “See that she does not get into too much trouble in her anger.” For he suspected she might be looking for a fight, or do something else equally foolish.

“As you wish,” the man inclined his head, and then went to exit, taking a coat with him. Humans weren’t allowed free passage. It wasn’t often checked, but when it was, any human found without their owner’s permission to travel was punished, sometimes severely. Sometimes to death. Their owner was often paid the sum of their assumed worth when that happened.

Stephan had given Maria one that was to last indefinitely. He did have quite a bit of trust in her. He exited from his private quarters and started to ask around for Ariana, knowing he still needed to apologize for her and see that she was well. No one knew, and it wasn’t until he crossed through the entrance that he saw the note she had left. “Ah,” that explained that. The kitchen likely needed more food. It had to care for every human in the home, after all. He took the paper and wrote a quick note on it:

Please see me when you return.

-Stephan

He put it on the fridge in the kitchen, hoping that Ariana would see it when she returned.

~***~

There were very few humans who could claim to have been purposefully caught. Rarer still was the human born in freedom. Such was the story of Damara Felix, a raven-haired woman with piercing blue eyes that judged every face when she walked out onto the stage. Many of the others had to be pushed, or else they walked dejectedly across the stage.

Not her.

The fire in her eyes started to draw attention even before the opening for bids began. Vampires hated an uppity human, and many wanted to break that spirit they saw, but the woman didn’t even flinch.

Her story was outlined. It was believed she’d been part of a blood farm that was recently torched, since that was where she was found. Of course, she and her group had torched it. The humans in the farm went with her group, and she stayed behind to get caught. If they knew she was part of the rebellion, she wouldn't be here. She'd be in a prison cell, or in the hands of the elders. tortured until she revealed her group's plans, members, and locations. That wouldn't go well. She'd either die, or worse, rat out people like Mark.

They were ready to make their next moves. ‘Stephan.’ A big name in this area, since he owned most of the blood farms.

She saw the note on the door of the refrigerator as she put the groceries away, reaching for a tangerine, peeling and eating it quickly. Outside the wind was howling, and thunder crashed at a distance. A storm was moving in. She shivered, arms crossed walking down the halls to Stephan's chamber, watching the lightning. She found him, bowing slightly at the waist. "Excuse my appearance. It began storming." She holds her teeth together so they didn't chatter. She would have changed, but she did not want to keep him waiting.

■■■■■■■■■■■

Maria smirked seeing the female. She could tell by the way she carried herself, that she had a rebellious nature. Nothing she couldn't handle. She fought off the urge for a male, she needed to have Stephan in her corner. He did after all, serve some purpose. Whomever controls the supply of blood controls vampires, and he owned many farms. Some day, she would have that control, and the STUPID humans wouldn't be treated with such pointless compassion . She won the bid on Damara Felix, spending a great deal of money to do so. Everyone wanted to destroy her oh-so-visible spirit. After the bidding, she went to collect her "prize ".

A wry smile came to Stephan’s lips at the sight of her, and he shook her head. While he certainly appreciated the way her clothing clung to her form, he couldn’t help but also feel anxiety about Ariana’s health. So, he had to at least make a show of protesting, “You know you could have changed,” it wasn’t as if he’d truly know when she arrived. “You’ll get sick if you do not take care of yourself.” It was for that reason he rose from his desk and took one of his coats off the nearby coat rack. He held it out for her to wear while here, since she had already come this way.

“I wanted to apologize for Maria. It seems she is refusing to listen to the rules of this house. I would ask if she bothers you again, that you let me know so that I may handle it,” from the way Maria had behaved in front of him, and how quick Ariana was to appease her, he suspected this was not new.

“Are you all right, though?” He inquired.

~***~

Strangely enough, it was a woman that won the bidding. Indeed, looks were cast the way of the female vampire from her own peers, seeming to wonder at this. Maria was known for buying men, not women. A few pointed whispers might be overheard by Maria, questioning the change.

Damara certainly didn’t hear them, but she saw the reaction and considered it noteworthy enough when she was led off the stage. It seemed her ‘buyer’ wasn’t sticking around to bid on others, something the vampire who laid hold of her arms noted. He calmly led Damara to the woman, now and then glancing back at Damara, clearly unnerved that she wasn’t resisting as expected.

This was the time most of the strong-willed humans broke, realizing their fate.

“Pleasure to see you again, Maria,” the vampire greeted her. He knew Maria well enough. She provided them with such good business, after all, “This one’s been rather well behaved, considering….” He shook his head, not sure where he was going with that. He wasn’t sure what there was to consider, just that something about Damara unnerved him.

A key was offered to Maria, if she wanted to undo the shackles. The auctioneers never did that. The vampires who bought their humans could do so at their leisure. The key would be allowed to go with Maria. “I hope you find this one to suit your needs, and come back again soon!” The man chirped.

She put the jacket over her shoulders. "I understand promptness is important, so I figured I would change afterward." The wind caused the large home to creak and groan a bit. She grimaced, she hated lying, but feared death. She would never admit what Maria had done to her many, many times. Maria had trapped and drank from her multiple times, weakening her greatly to the point she was forced to tell Stephan she had some kind of flu bug once. It had been happening more as of late, but She promised to kill Ariana slowly and painfully if she ever spoke a word. She wasn't nice about it either, it stung so badly. Ariana assumed "I...I am used to her." She forces a smile.

●■●■●■●■●■●■●■●

Maria grabbed Damara by the chin roughly, turning her face to each side, examining her. She heard the rumblings about her choice. She rolled her eyes, she was pretending to turn over a new leaf. Besides she needed to gain Stephan on her side for now. She decided to leave the shackles on. "Come." She commanded, leading her to her Mercedes. They made their way back to Stephan's estate.

“Promptness is important,” Stephan agreed with those words while Ariana seemed to hesitate to speak.

He walked back around his desk and motioned for her to sit in one of the other chairs. He didn’t sit himself, but put a hand on his desk and leaned his weight on it. When she said something about being ‘used’ to Maria, he frowned. “I do not wish you to be. I do not wish any of my servants to be,” he might have to check with the others. “She is a guest here, but she is not your Lady.”

He disliked the liberties Maria seemed to be taking. “She will never be your Lady.” That was a comment more to himself, as he considered how terrible that thought even was, though there were certainly rumors of it. Likely started by Maria herself.

He shook his head, then asked, “Would you like something warm to drink? I can call down to the kitchens.”

~***~

Damara didn’t protest the treatment, but let her head be turned this way and that, as if it bothered her not. Outside this environment, she would have had the vampire’s heart already run through. ‘Patience.’

Damara had that. The shackles were left on. They didn’t hinder her movement greatly, but Damara wouldn’t have shown it even if they did. The vampire didn’t run, so keeping up was not difficult. She did her best to make it appear that opening the door to the car and everything else was just as easy to do, and she took a seat in the rather comfortable vehicle.

She stretched her legs out in front of her, tilted her head back, and shut her eyes on the drive, as if wholly at peace with the entire situation. She didn’t say a word to the woman, though.

She smiled softly. "Something to drink would be wonderful." She nodded. She speaks wondering if she should imply anything about what Maria has been doing to her, because then she didn't "technically" tell him, he would have guessed. She had no idea if it was worth the drama her implication would cause. "Maria....oh nevermind" She decided. She hadn't a slight idea how to clue him in without Maria coming to kick her ass later. So she changed the way she would have finished the sentence. "Maria is....she is in her own world. I know she is not my lady, but it puts me in a strange place when she is in fact your guest, and it isn't my place to have problems with your guests, after all it is your home, sir." She wraps the jacket tightly around her.

□■□●■□♤□♤●♤●♡•

Maria is already annoyed with her new find. She isn't acting like the firey one she appeared. Maria looked over to see her lounging as if she was going on a road trip with her. It was making her angry, but for the time, she had to play nice. "SLAVE" She referred to Demara. "Slave, tell me about you, things the auctioneer didn't mention. What you like and don't like..." the only things she cared about is depriving her of her likes and allowing her a bountiful amount of the things she didnt. Maybe that would liven it up.

“Yes, it is my home, and I do expect you to have respect for my guests,” Stephan said as he walked over to where one of the phones were. There was a time when cell phones existed, but now all they had were landlines. He had a few scattered throughout his manor to make things easier.

He held up a finger to Ariana, implying he would continue speaking, before he picked up the phone and simply pressed “*2” for the kitchen. It did not take long for his call to be answered, “Hello, I would like to make a request for a drink for Ariana. Something warm, please, I am sure you know better than I what she likes.” He knew that he should know it, but it often slipped his mind.

He then hung up, “However, my guests must respect my household. It is the implicit rule. If she is breaking my rules, then she can be removed from the premises to leech off,” and he couldn’t help but smile when he realized his own word choice. He shook his head, “that is, to reside with another other than myself. Respect goes both ways.”

~***~

How does one break those who like to break?

By doing everything they ask, of course. Depriving them of power by giving in wholly tended to ruin those with a domination fetish. It was her own, queer way of rebelling. She had this planned long before she encountered this woman, because she knew the sorts of vampires she’d draw the eye of.

This wasn’t the first vampire she’d ever met. It wouldn’t be the last, either. Unfortunately. “There isn’t much to tell, mistress,” she lied fluidly, eyes opening and looking right at the other woman, giving her all of her attention, making her appear like the most important woman in the world right then. “That is, if that is how you would like to be referred to as. To answer your question, I was born on one of the breeding facilities. I was bought by a blood farm when I was young. I was fed a simple diet that was high in iron, from what they tell me. Not much variety to speak of, but I didn’t mind it. The pork was particularly tasty, but I wasn’t a fan of the salmon.”

And then she shrugged her shoulders, “There wasn’t really all that much to do, though. Can’t say I know much about likes or dislikes beside food stuff.”

Ariana sat, wanting so badly to speak of Maria's transgressions but the thought of the consequences were a bit too bleak to consider, but it hurt so badly when she did it......she sighed. "Ahem...sir..." She broke eye contact. "I........um......Maria is....she is worse than you think." She pauses, nervously as one of the kitchen help brings her hot cocoa with marshmallows, bows to Stephan, and exits. She nearly lost courage, but then spoke with a shaky voice."She.....drinks from me.....a lot.....she nearly smothers me with my pillow to silence my screaming. Usually it is at night when I am trying.....trying to sleep. She takes so much, she has been making me feel sick....and it hurts" Her eyes are still fixed on the floor. "I...didn't have the flu last week....she nearly killed me.....it's to the point I feel so cold, I can barely move for hours. Sir, I am scared of her. She.....told me that if.....that if I ever said anything she would torture me to death, basically. " Her eyes were still studying the floor because she didn't want to look up.

#######

Maria frowned again. This was going to drive her mad and the little bitch would be dead in a week. Demara acted as if she had no care in the world. She intended to change that outlook. She forced a smile. "No salmon. Yes pork." They continued the drive and she spoke again. "You will do everything I ask without question or lip. " She didn't know what else to say at the moment. The firey Demara lacked.....fire. She even called her "mistress" without any prompting. It made her absolutely mad.

Hot chocolate. A wonderful comfort drink, or so Stephan had heard. It was not an experience he’d ever gotten to enjoy as a human. His mind always went to teas, and he made a mental note that Ariana seemed to prefer the sweeter things.

Stephan gave a nod to the kitchen staff when they bowed, and then fixed his red eyes on Ariana to give her his attention, silently encouraging her to speak. He wanted to know how Maria was worse.

When the words escaped Ariana’s lips, the hand he had on the desk clenched into a fist. His anger grew, but none of it was directed at Ariana. The disrespect of Maria bothered him quite a bit. He had taken her into his home, and this was how she treated his staff? If nothing else, she ought to know it was wrong to hurt another person’s things (though Stephan didn’t truly think of Ariana as ‘his’). No vampire would stand for this. None.

And then, he felt an overwhelming sense of guilt and shame. Apparently, he had not been clear enough to his staff that he wanted no harm to befall them. He was not a fan of violent punishment in the first place, and used it rarely. He preferred to make people understand what they did as wrong, so that they would truly never do it again. To see that Ariana did not trust him enough, did not trust he would protect her, hurt.

Stephan swallowed some of his pride as he spoke, “I have given Maria one last chance, but had I known of these transgressions….” His words came out slow, and he had to avert his gaze from Ariana. “Well. I am still a man of my word.” If nothing else. “What would you have me do, Ariana?” He shifted his eyes back to her, deciding to give her power in this since she had been brave enough to tell him. “Shall I confront Maria with this knowledge, or shall I hope that she listens to my first warning?”

He added, when he suggested the latter option, “Understand, of course, if she does this again that I want you to tell me. I’ll remove her. I won’t even let her know the reason, to protect your anonymity.”

~***~

Damara did her best not to laugh, and keep that patient, listening look on her face. She could see that it was eating up her ‘mistress’. “Yes, mistress, I understand completely. I will do whatever you ask,” for the short while she was in Maria’s employ, anyway. She had to play the role, if she wanted information on the weak points of vampire society.

Upsetting this vampire was just icing on the cake.

She fell silent again, for there were no further questions to answer, no orders to agree with—and what sort of slave would she be if she spoke out of turn? Certainly not a good one.

And yet, a smile tugged at her lips. She wouldn’t let herself laugh, but the smile of it was there.

Ariana swallowed hard. "She....is going to rip my insides out now. Maybe she will....stop if you tell her?" She says in a question like tone. "I honestly don't want to die...and it hurts, as I mentioned. I may be a servant, but you have given me a life I do not mind awakening to. I am grateful"

The door opened and Ariana became visibly nervous just hearing Maria's voice. Maria called out "Honnnnnney I'm home..." She led her slave who did not put up a fight....not even a small one. Maria noted that Ariana hair was wet from the rain and her petite frame was wrapped in his jacket, but chose to make a petty comment anyhow. "Oh goodness me. What a shock, Stephan......you must have been sick of her eye sore of a dress as I was." It hurt Ariana's feelings. She made her lavender dress All By herself, It tied with a bow in the back and had a small black sash under the bust. It even had little black trim at the bottom. It wasn't too clingy....when it wasn't wet at the moment it looked painted on), but fit her figure nicely. She thought so anyways.

"Meet my new slave....and slave say hello to the lovely people" Maria said changing the subject. She had such a dramatic way about her, before she was a vampire she spent years on Broadway as an actress, during the 1930s. Everything was always about her. So much so that she didn't even notice any tension in the room. Ariana wanted to disappear out of the room. She was so puzzled by the calm look on her "slave's" face. She was a pretty girl, but looked so at rest. Ariana didn't feel at rest at all on auction day, and Stephan was nice. Before that she was in a breeding camp, from birth until 18. Maria finally notices. "Oh what's wrong Stephan, are you just shocked I brought home a nice girl? Or are you jealous because you want a new toy too?!" She knew well he didn't keep his servants as toys, but he was fun to rile up.

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Mark closed the market down, locking the doors, the fresh baked bread made every morning, still hung in the air with the potent smell of the oranges. He had much to do. He needed to figure a way to better communicate with the resistance. Things were tough, he was overtired. He hadn't slept in a little over 36 hours. Saving humanity kept him up at night. He hated Vampires with a passion, believing them all to be horribly violent by nature. His parents were drained right before him and he was taken to a farm. So, his first impression was not positive. He needed to put some feelers out. Maybe more rebels came in with the auction he heard was to have occurred.

Stephan’s expression hardened when he heard Maria’s voice. He moved around the desk to put himself almost casually between Maria and Ariana, but the posture of a predator was obvious. Maria ought to be familiar with it, considering what she was.

Damara certainly was, and she felt every muscle in her body tense when she entered the room with Stephan. Given, she was delighted to be this close to the man of the hour. She was fortunate to have been purchased by this vampiress, if she resided in the same home as Stephan. Yet, she reconsidered that as she observed the reactions.

It seemed Stephan wasn’t fond of Maria. ‘Might be useful.’ Though Damara hadn’t considered the angle of playing vampire against vampire until now.

And she had orders to follow. “Hello, lovely people,” she chirped with the instruction, and bowed at the waist to Stephan and the human girl who was…wearing Stephan’s coat. ‘What?’ That bothered her understanding of the man.

When Maria finally seemed to notice the issues in the room, Stephan answered her coldly, “I have been informed of how you have been treating my servants.” Stephan took a step forward, still between Maria and Ariana, “I have given you a warning already, but let me be clear: if you lay a finger on Ariana, or any of my servants again, I will turn you to ashes.”

Damara’s eyebrows lifted, clearly interested in the topic now. It seemed putting vampire against vampire might, indeed, be possible. ‘How fun.’

“I know you do not respect them, but you should respect me for putting you up in this home and not letting you rot on the street.” Now, of course, she was able to afford a place to stay. “Do not think I will allow you to abuse my trust again. If you have issues with my staff, if they have disrespected you in any way, you are to tell me. I am to decide what happens to what is mine.” He was trying to put it in words that Maria might understand.

Maria looks highly offended, choosing to lie. She needed to keep him on her side. "I have......never laid a hand on any of them." Ariana's jaw drops. Her heart is racing. That was most certainly not true. "This little bitch hated me from the beginning!" Maria thinks quickly. "I caught her trying to steal from you, and yes...I was black mailing her to do menial tasks for me....you know how I get. She is just trying to lie to you to get out of doing my bidding!" Ariana had it. That was the last straw. She could not allow her character to be defamed. She stands out of her chair. "YOU......are....LYING! You are out of your MIND!!!!!" She turns to Stephan, the docile nature in her was on a back burner for the moment, replaced by firey eyes and anger. "None of what she is saying is true. None of it! I have never stolen a thing in my life, save a loaf of bread as a child. I admit that here and now, I have no reason to steal from you. I am telling the truth." She was so nervous about whose word he would take, after all she was a servant. She realized she was literally yelling and became a bit embarassed. Maria's eyes become a glowing shade of purple, glaring at Ariana. She advanced to Ariana, pinning her to the wall, her face less than an inch away, dying to tear her limb from limb. Ariana was wide eyed, scared, trembling...Maria knew better than to attack. She backs down, "My apologies. I will let this one go, but you better keep her in line. "Come slave." She turns to leave . Ariana is still up against the wall. She literally thought she was going to be torn in half..'Breathe....' She reminds herself.

Stephan did not appreciate being ignored. His word was completely ignored when Maria approached Ariana and pinned her to the wall. He had said that he would deal with them getting out of line, and here Maria was, trying to exert her will. He wouldn't have it.

He knew who’s word was honest. He had known Ariana long enough to understand there was no reason for her to lie to him on this matter. She had risked too much by telling the truth. A lie would just be foolish.

Maria thought she could walk away from this, after threatening his servant in front of his eyes.

No. “Maria,” he called to her, “Pack your things. You will be out of here before sunrise tomorrow, or I will call on further authorities.” He had his own guard of vampires and humans, of course, but he could also call on vampiric police. This was technically his property, after all. He could order anyone he wanted, off of it. “I give you this night to figure out where you will be going, but that is it.”

Damara, of course, had started to follow Maria. As Stephan’s voice boomed out like thunder, she couldn’t help but sigh. Her chance to investigate Stephan and his home was now shot, because she stuck with a vampire who couldn’t control herself. ‘Figures.’ Well, no matter. The issue would resolve itself one way or another.

She gave no comment to the scene she had just witnessed.

Maria huffed out of the room, into hers. In her eyes, Ariana caused this situation to be more difficult. She was going to kill that little snitch. Ariana was a timid girl, she was honestly shocked that she snitched. Maria's eyes flashed with an idea as she looked at her servant. "You....slave...I need you to kill that little bitch tonight. Make it like she ran away. If you get caught, claim she was....wad a rebel or something, and make it good." She wondered if murder would break her and make her fight a bit. 'I'm so twisted.' She admitted to herrself.

Ariana removed herself from the wall, hands shaking, but she did not wish to cry in front of him. "Excuse me....thank you for your kindness in listening, thank you for letting me borrow your jacket. I will bring it back clean...." She didn't want to admit it, but she felt like she signed her own death wish. It made a knot in her stomach. "I am going to go change." She makes a quick exit before the tears in her eyes brimmed over, beginning to spill over once she got a few steps out his door.

What was one human life to Damara?

Too many times she’d had to cut down loyal servants of vampires. “As you say, mistress,” though she added the caveat, “but you know you will be the first suspect regardless, don’t you? I mean only to protect you in saying that, this action will likely lead to your death, injury, or infamy by your own kin.” Whereas she? She was just a slave following orders.

No doubt, the woman would try to distance herself from Damara’s actions. She expected that. Considering how the woman wasn’t trusted at all, though, she doubted it would be a problem.

So, she spoke as if she hadn’t offered any advice. “Shall I go about it now, mistress, or later?”

And even as she considered how easy it would be to cut off the girl’s life, she also considered the advantages of purposefully screwing up and getting caught. It was a risk, but a good one. Stephan would take her in if she mentioned Maria’s orders. She could play it off that Maria had threatened her, just as well.

The pieces would fall into place.

~***~

Stephan could only say, “You’re welcome,” and consider reaching for Ariana. However, he did not do so. He let her leave, so that she could have her space. He saw the water in her eyes. No one liked to be vulnerable in front of others, least of all himself, so he understood the need to run off for privacy.

“Very well,” he said softly to the air when Ariana left, a late comment to her words about changing and washing his jacket. It hadn’t even gotten dirty.

He shook his head and walked back to his desk. He took a goblet from behind and uncorked a bottle. He tried not to drink from the vein. It was an addiction that was hard to break. The rush of live blood was the best sort. Room-temperature, old blood, was not so good as that, but it kept his servants unharmed.

If he was going to own blood farms, he should use them.

With the blood poured out, he drank deep of it to calm his own anger.

Maria was impulsive. She could not help but to consider the idea of now. She was all about instant gratification. However she shook her head. "No, do it tonight, be silent about it. I don't care how you do it." Maria could not believe it....it didn't even seem like Demara cared a bit about murder. She didn't care now if they took her boring slave. The job will get done.

Ariana peels her wet sundress off, putting on a pair of black yoga pants and a well fitting turquoise t-shirt. She was so cold. She folds the laundry and brings it up to his room two hours later. She came in, apologizing for exiting so quickly. "I appreciate your help."

The job would not be done. Damara knew that even as she answered, “Very well, mistress. I shall do it tonight. Is there anything you need from me now?” It was only polite to ask. Otherwise, she’d have to find some way to entertain herself. Perhaps a nap would be sufficient. She was a bit tired.

~***~

By that time, Stephan had finished his cup of blood, and called his guards. They were all informed of his words to Maria, and when she was to be forced out if she hadn’t already found a way out of his place. He also commanded two of them to guard Ariana, for he knew that she would become a target for her confession.

It would help him sleep better, anyway. Those two were waiting when Ariana returned with his laundry. “Thank you,” he said when he saw it, and he took the jacket from her, “These two will guard you at least until Maria leaves. I am sure you have seen Veronica and Tristan around,” they were both vampires, younger than him, but dear to him in a way Maria had once been.

Alas, she’d gotten demented over the years.

Veronica nodded to Ariana, and Tristan gave a bright, sunny grin.

She rolled her eyes hating the compliance. "No. Nothing now. Do not fail me or I will make your life miserable. Come see me once the task is complete." She walked behind the screen to undress and put on her night gown after unshackling Demara.

Ariana smiled, the protection making her feel much, much better. "I am thankful." She said speaking to Stephan. If you do not mind, may I turn in for the night, I am exhausted. Today has been long, and I can sleep without fear. I am glad." She took her leave, crawling into her bed, falling asleep very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back