• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Plagued (DrTrollinski & Arielle)

Woodruff, Wisconsin, USA.

Saturday, September 12th, 2015.

5:02PM

"Oh, Jesus Christ!" Alex yelled, quickly backing out of Eric's room and slamming the door shut behind him. He was in tears of laughter not long after - He was shocked and sickened, but he found it hilarious. He'd walked in on possibly the worst time - He wasn't going to say anything to his parents, because he wasn't that much of a dick, but he was definitely going to be teasing Eric about this - Why wouldn't he, right? Eric was none too happy, though - I think it's kind of obvious what he was doing - Door closed, quiet music, curtains closed and blinds down, and a certain video on the computer? Yeah.

"Don't you know how to fuckin' knock?!" Eric screamed from inside, his voice showing obvious humiliation and embarrassment. He sounded a little bit upset, too, and he ran right to the door after making sure his pants were zipped up and all, and slammed himself against it. "Just fuck off, you asshole!" He yelled through it - Alex walked away, laughing his ass off still - he meandered back to his room and went inside. Alex was never one for technology, but he still had a PS4 and a PC that he'd play games on and talk to friends now and again - He was more of a physically fit guy, though, and he was an inconsiderate one at points.

Yep. This was pretty much a Saturday evening in the Cross household. What could you do, right?

"Alex!" A man's voice called, along with the sound of footsteps stomping up the stairs. Soon enough his door opened up and his father revealed himself - a once muscular man that had now put on a bit of weight. He was a little pudgy, but he was by no means an athlete - He was clutching three bills in his hand, and the first thing he did was walk to Alex and hand them both to him - Two twenties and a ten. "Robert's wife just called... There's been a bit of an issue and me and mom need to head out to make sure everything's okay, alright?" He said, patting his shoulder.

"You don't need to pay me to sit on my ass, dad." He grinned, immediately getting a chuckle and a playful slap up the head back.

"That money's for food. Seeing as we might be a few hours, I want you to order yourself and the boys some pizzas, okay?" He said. Boys. Alex liked not being considered a 'boy' - It made him feel more in control and more mature. Obviously he'd never bend the brothers to his will, because he loved them dearly - He loved Carl the most, though - God, that little guy was dreadfully cute. He simply nodded to his father and watched as he left his room - this was going to be an interesting day.

The only issue was that they weren't going to be coming home tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
How dare she? How dare she.

Arielle seethed as she swept through the crowd on the sidewalk, still beat red and filled to the top with anger. She had been sitting in the room with a boy she had been seeing for a few weeks when Amelia had come in with her camera. With the money she obtained through Christmas and birthday presents she had managed to pay for a decent camera for her "photography career". The girl is thirteen and can't take a clear picture for her life. Except instead of using that camera for something like nature she used it for spying. And who would be a better victim than Aria?

"Patricia!" Amelia had called and Matt had gently pushed the seventeen year old off his lap just as the little girl ran by. Matt was the boy that Aria had over once or twice before, and neither of them were entirely innocent during their alone times. The little brat had of course snapped the pictures of the couple together, and while her foster parents didn't care too much she was still completely humiliated. The girls screamed at each other for some time, and the next time they looked Matt was gone.

Now, while the other kids were eating, Aria had left on her own to feed herself. Not that she needed to, but she could get a betting meal on her own than she would sitting in that dining room. Amelia knew by now that she wasn't being let off the hook. Arielle slipped into the shop she had gotten caught stealing from a few months ago, but had been forgiven by the owner who in the end had actually befriended her. As long as she paid for what she took she was allowed to be in there. "Aria, m'dear." The man behind the counter smiled at her and watched her plop down the contents along with her money. How well earned was her money? Not very.

The man excused himself before turning to hack into his sleeve before turning back to the teenager and ringing up what she intended to buy. "Sick?" Aria asked.

"A bit," Harold answered, "Stuck up on me, too. Damn people come in here smearing their germs all over the place."

She laughed quietly but didn't tempt the conversation any further, instead thanking him and taking her things to leave.

"Aleeeeeex!" Carl whined loudly. Alex was in his room when he heard that - their parents had been gone for about half an hour, and the babysitting was going well. He'd apologized to Eric, made both him and young Carl a drink, and was now just sitting in his room reading - when he heard his brother's voice call out, however, he was more than willing to get up and see what was wrong. By the time he got out of the room, he knew where it was coming from - The bathroom.

He went up and gently tapped on the door with the back of his index and middle finger and leaned up against it. "You okay in there, little man?" He called. "Please don't tell me you're sick..." He groaned. He was worried that this was the case. Carl had been quiet since yesterday, and that wasn't like him in the slightest. Alex just leaned against the door with his eyes closed, waiting for the bad news that was bound to hit him. He was worried he was going to have to play doctor from now on, but...

"There's no toilet paper left..." He heard a little voice squeak. He couldn't help but laugh.

"Oh! What are we gonna' do?!" He said, in a perfectly playful and mock-shocked tone.

"Can you find me some...?" Carl asked innocently with a tinge of sadness to his voice. Ah, small things like this were the end of the world to a five-year-old.

"Of course I can, buddy. Is there door locked?" He asked.

"Nuh-uh..."

"Okay, you just wait right there and I'll be back with you in just a moment." He smiled and quickly made his way downstairs. He knew that Carl would have been smart enough to check the cupboard under the sink for more toilet paper, and if it wasn't there, then there was bound to be another pack of rolls of paper downstairs under the sink in the cupboard. He went down into the luxury little kitchen they had and shot a quick glance out of the window - In the distance (he was looking out of the window not blocked by a fence) he could see a man standing in the street. He was holding a cat in his arms - Alex saw a lot of blood, and... Was he eating the cat? Yes. He was eating the fucking cat.

Okay, he'd be calling the police after he'd delivered the toilet paper. He took the whole pack with him and barged into the bathroom when he got back upstairs. He saw Carl sitting there on the toilet on the right side of the bathroom, at the bottom of the bathtub, waiting patiently. Alex took one roll out but put the rest of the pack under the sink. He walked over to Carl and handed him the single roll.

"Once you get outta' here, I'll order you pizza, okay?" He grinned at him as he walked towards the door and stepped out of it. "Don't forget to wash your hands - Do that, and I'll make sure your pizza has extra cheese." He smiled - He saw Carl's little face light up with some simple excitement, but he decided it was high time he gave the kid his privacy and closed the door over.

Now, to call the police about the pussy-eater.

No pun intended, of course.

"Take care of yourself," "You too Harold," Arielle flashed a friendly smile while slipping out through the door. The little bell on the door could be heard jingling, but as soon as the door fell just there was a short fit of ringing from that as well as hacking from the man before she could no longer hear it. Before splitting the back of her favorite chips open she stuffs her bottle of tea into the bag that crosses over her chest and hangs at her hip. It was just another typical day for her, but oh how she was so wrong.

Before long the girl had a shadow. A young girl, maybe seven or eight years old trailed along behind her. She moved swiftly and much like Aria did. Another crunch of the chip made her mouth water as it was met with the salt and vinegar taste and she looked toward the sky with a grin, "You can't sneak up on me. Not that easily." She teased the young girl, who in return giggled and sped up to meet at Aria's side. Madeline still carried her backpack with her, and took the chip that was offered.

"How was school?" Aria asked as if she genuinely cared. She really did, and Madeline looked up to her for it. The two were very similar in some ways. Only the younger girls parents left out the part where she actually went through with leaving. Aria ended up simply taking her under her wing.

"Hard," She whined and sunk her shoulders forward, "We keep doing time tests and I'm not good at it." Hugging her close, Aria came to a stop near the girls apartment complex, where several people were filing out and seemingly in a hurry. Before Madeline could walk away, the older girl tugged her back while studying the exiting crowd. They were panicked and going on about the cannibal. Cannibal? Concerned, Aria scrunched her nose at the thought and led the two away from the building, "How about some ice cream?"

8:32PM

".. Don't you think mom and dad should be back by now?" Eric asked, sitting down on the couch beside Alex. Carl was kneeling down by the coffee table and was using some crayons to draw a picture - He was in a world of his own, so he wasn't exactly paying attention to what Alex and Eric were talking about. He was only five, so it's not like he cared all that much right now - His parents would come home eventually, right? Alex had been hearing talk of things going crazy, because he overheard his neighbor's conversation with his wife when the back door of the house was open - There was something going on, apparently, but Alex was a brave guy, remember? A natural-born leader of some kinds, so there wasn't too much to really worry about if things went bad.

"If it was something bad with Robert, then they might be gone all night. Try not to think about it too much, okay?" He put an arm around his shoulders and pulled him into a small hug. Eric wasn't all that for hugs with Alex - He'd do it, but not as much as he used to when he was younger. He placed his head down against his shoulder and gave off an extended sigh as he looked at the TV - An action movie was playing, one with Arnold Schwarzenegger, so I guess it was okay, despite the mediocre acting.

"Maybe." He shrugged. "What about Carl?" He asked. "If they don't come back, he'll panic, you know he will." He said.

"That's why we'll get him to bed at about nine o'clock - he'll be tired by then, I'm sure - If he asks about mom and dad, we'll just tell him that we don't think they'll be back tonight." He whispered, Eric simply nodded and looked down at what the little boy was drawing - he was drawing some sort of dog, or a horse, it was hard to tell, really. Eric was almost ninety nine percent certain that it was a dog, though.

"Sure." He muttered. ".. Do you want me to tuck him in tonight? I don't mind doing it..." He said. Alex looked at him for a moment and smiled softly, nodding once. He knew that Eric sort of wanted to do it for some odd reason, because he would usually start to feel bad about how he treated Carl sometimes, in times like this.

--

9:12PM

"You look exhausted." Eric chuckled a little as Carl walked into the room, having just left the bathroom. Carl's room was nice - Blue walls, blue carpet, rocket ships and comic-style aliens painted on the walls, and, even better than that, his bed sheets were soccer themed. Talk about knocking the theme out of place, right? He loved soccer so much, and he was promised that he could sign up for a soccer club once he turned five - They only recently turned the ages they were, so there was plenty of time.

Or so they thought.

The Cul De Sac they lived on got little attention from the rest of the world. They lived in a great area with good schools and lovely houses, so who gave a shit about them? Not many people, really. Eric's best friend lived across the street, too, but his best friend was a strange one. He didn't like staying there overnight, because his friend was always too hyperactive and a little creepy at night. Like a vampire, I guess. Keep in mind that this was also the friend that also managed to obtain butterfly knives and thigh holsters for them - Of which are illegal.

"I'm not tired..." Carl said, wiping his eyes as he walked over to Eric and slumped against him, his arms wrapped around his body.

"Yes you are." Eric laughed a little as he slowly rose to his feet, picking Carl up with him. He walked over to Carl's bed and quickly moved one hand down to pull the blanket back, followed by setting the young boy down in the bed. "I'll tuck you in... Would you like a bedtime story tonight, bro?" He asked quietly. Carl looked at him for a moment but then gave a little nod. Eric leaned over and gently kissed his head before getting up and going over to the bookshelf - it was a small shelf that Carl could reach, so obviously he had to lean over a bit to grab a book. Any would do, because Carl never said anything specific about it.

"Eric...?" Carl squeaked. Eric turned and looked at him.

"Yeah?" He asked, turning back and walking to the side of his bed, crouching beside him.

".. Can you stay with me? I don't wanna' go to sleep on my own." He said, Eric gave a little smile and slowly climbed into the bed with him, pulling the blanket over them both.

"There. Now I can read to you and hug you at the same time." He smiled, opening the book. As Carl shuffled up and put his arms around him, as well as setting his head down against his chest, Eric couldn't help but feel bad. This little boy had such a high level of loyalty and love towards his older brother, yet, he always seemed to treat him like shit if he was in a bad mood - He promised himself. Super nice from now on. Carl was only little, and little people can do things wrong without realizing a lot of the time.

He started reading, and within minutes, Carl was asleep.

But Eric wasn't.

He knew something was wrong on the outside and he just didn't like it at all. He didn't want to leave Carl tonight, he was going to stay right here until his parents got back, or until something happened.

The former was the most preferable, obviously.

Mad, she liked to call her, lit up as if Aria had just told her that they were going to Disney land. Thank God they weren't, right?

"Ice cream!" She squealed happily and had seemingly forgotten completely about going home. The older girl, however, tossed a few glances back in the direction of the building. Cannibalism? Since when would that be a thing here? They were a clean town, with a death here or there but nothing too crazy. Nothing like that. People still filed out of the building- some running and some just hurrying. It was as if this 'cannibal' was multiplying.

Oh how close she was.

"What flavor?" Aria had asked as they came to the little ice cream shop. The girl stared and stared at the list of flavors but focused more on the pictures. She pointed and suddenly went shy with the older woman on the other side of the window. "Superman. Two, actually." Arielle spoke while paying and throwing a "please" at the end.

4:50 PM

"-and then Rachel wanted to use the markers but Mikey wouldn't let her and Maria started yelling and Mrs. Taylor got super mad at them and they had to sit in the hallway and when-" Madeline went on happily with this story for the fourth time in the past few hours, and Aria just took it. What seemed like an hour long story, it ended with Mikey having a fit and the two other girls being allowed back into class.

Madeline loved her story though and kept up with her 100 mph run on sentence. That little voice went quiet though when they two of them came to those apartments again. By now there should have been enough time for things to die down. They did. Oh they did, and quite literally.

When the pair came to the top of the third flight of steps the little one was trying to wipe the sugary left overs from her face and Aria was fully aware of the fact that it was just too quiet. So quiet that her skin crawled and she wanted to leave.

"What's wrong, Aria?" That little face turned to hers just as her eyes landed on that mark up ahead and down the hall. That foul smell came first, forcing their noses to scrunch. Shaking her head, she turned the two of them around and hurried down the steps. That blood was stuck in her mind, already imprinted and haunting her. There was so much, just seeping from the doorway.

"Aria?", "Quiet, Mad."

9:50 PM

Little Madeline was fast asleep when Aria finally needed to move her legs. The girl's head was in her lap and never even flinched while being moved. Aria stood from her bed, where Aria's foster parents agreed to let the young girl spend the night. Kyle could be heard with his music down the hall, Amelia was on the phone a, and the other two siblings were probably playing video games.

How in the hell did all that blood get there? She didn't want to believe the cannibalism thing but at this point had no choice. If it wasn't that then there was something else. An animal, maybe? It didn't matter. Madeline didn't yet understand that she couldn't go home again. No one would be there for her. They were long gone, or on the other side of that doorway.

"Ari?" That little voice game and made the girl cringe. She felt so bad, and she was so confused. "Go to sleep, Madeline." Her voice was soft and her fingers ran through the girls soft hair soothingly.

"When can I go home?"

Ouch. "I don't know, sweetie." Madeline nodded and shut her eyes again, after becoming comfortable on Arielle again. "Was that them?"

Tears were being drawn, hearing that tone. "I don't know. Go to sleep, Mad." Two sets of eyes were soon shut, silent, and relaxed. Unaware.

1:46AM

"Eric..." Carl whimpered quietly, shaking his arm. Eric had crashed out in Carl's bed without an issue, if I'm honest. It was probably the most comfy bed in the house - He still remembered when they got him this mattress - From the age of three, Carl always used to squirm around in his sleep and woke up during the night, so, for his fifth birthday they got him a new mattress alongside everything else, and since then, he'd had no trouble sleeping whatsoever. It was quite awesome, actually, because there was the rare occasion where Eric got to share the bed like this, and he slept like a lion whenever he did.

But tonight wasn't one of those nights.

Eric rolled over and groaned as he looked at Carl, whom of which was majorly covered by a sheet of darkness. He saw that it was raining outside, literally, pouring. When he looked at the window, he could see the moonlight causing shadows from the droplets of water that were continuously hitting the glass surface. There was a bit of a thunder, too, so that was probably what woke little Carl up. He looked at Carl and then leaned over to the nightstand beside the bed, flicking on a small lamp that glowed a variety of relaxing colors - It was spherical shaped, too. It was a nice little lamp that Carl had on some nights - It depended on whether or not he fell asleep during story time.

"You okay, buddy?" Eric asked in a tired but gently tone, discreetly looking at his watch as he did so. God, almost two o'clock.

"Nuh-uh..." He shook his head.

"Whas' the matter? You had a nightmare? Thunder wake you up?"

"The thunder woke me up, but... I gotta' go pee..." He said softly, shuffling up so he could be closer to Eric. Eric had always disliked the idea of walking through the house at night, especially if all the lights were out.

"Me too," Eric sighed. "Come on, then... I'll take you to the bathroom, then back to bed, okay? It's very late." He said, carefully shuffling himself out from under the warm protection of Carl's blanket and taking hold of Carl's hand to walk him out of the room. He stopped when he got to the door, however, as he saw a piece of paper was taped to the door, with Alex's all-so-perfectly neat handwriting sprawled out across the crumpled page.

'Eric,

I've been trying to call mom and dad and they're not picking up. I'm taking mom's car and heading to Robert's place - There's been some stuff going on according to the news and I just want to make sure they're okay. I've got dad's gun with me - Please don't panic. I promise I'll come home by the morning, just keep the doors locked, curtains closed, don't make too much noise. Don't go outside. Please. Just do this for me. I'm sorry for leaving without saying anything, but I knew it'd be a lot to deal with if I ended up waking you both up.

You deserve the rest. Take it easy, bro. I love you, I love you both. I will be back during the day, if not early in the morning - If I'm not back, cook yourself and Carl some bacon and eggs - It's all in the fridge, and I know you both like it crispy - You know how to cook it like that, right? Make sure the eggs are cooked properly, too.

Stay safe, I love you.

- Alex.'

"Motherfucker..." Eric muttered quietly under his breath. He tucked the note down the side of the dresser, then made his way out to take Carl to the bathroom.

--

A few blocks away...

"Mom... Dad...?" He called out as he slowly pushed the door open. He'd seen some things on the way over here, so obviously he was a little bit shaken up. He didn't like any of this one bit, so it was all a matter of just getting mom and dad and getting the fuck out of there. All the lights in the house were off, but dad's car was still parked out front. This wasn't going well, was it? Too right it wasn't. He slowly stepped into the house and pulled out his father's gun from within the back of his pants. The American Joe Colt M1911. It was a beautiful gun - a patriotic one, but a beautiful one, with little stars cut out in the trigger itself and a generally amazing American design.

"Dad...?" He called out again as he closed the door behind him, followed by reaching up and flicking on the light in the hallway, the light switch, or, one of them, was right next to the front door. He remembered, they used to come here almost every for years Sunday for dinner before Carl was born - Him and Eric would run around and play all afternoon and evening, then they'd settle down and eat a roast dinner, mostly it was beef, but occasionally they'd have pork or chicken.

It was when he turned the light on that he saw the blood.

A massive pool of it trailed out from the kitchen into the hallway, and when he smelt the iron smell, he felt sick. He didn't know what to do, but he knew that the color had been flushed from his face. He stepped forward, and he could hear groans and hisses, as well as the shuffling of feet. His heart was pounding, and he was sure that whoever was in the house with him could hear it. He stepped towards the entrance of the kitchen and slowly looked inside.

He saw his father's headless body, a lot of blood, and his mom, Robert, and Melissa (Robert's wife) devouring what was left. Good fucking lord. He started crying immediately. That's when they all turned and got up, shambling towards him ever so slowly. He kept backing up until he was against the wall, and as Robert and Melissa came out, it was in gut instinct to aim and shoot - The chest, and he did that. Two bullets in each one's chest, and what happened?

Nothing.

They kept coming.

He was bawling his eyes out now, literally, he could hardly see what he was doing but managed to lift the gun up and shoot Robert in the head, and he felt his stomach turn, but now that the adrenaline and desire to survive was there, he didn't stop. He did the same to Melissa, and they both dropped like rocks, but when it came to dear old mom... No, he couldn't. He noticed that she'd had a large chunk taken out of her arm, of which was dropping blood but wasn't bleeding heavily. It must have happened a while ago, but he knew what he'd seen on the TV was what was going on here.

"Mom, please don't make me do this..." He begged, sobbing loudly as he turned down the hallway and backed up against the front door. He lifted the gun and was shakily aiming it at her face, but he didn't want to pull that trigger. He couldn't pull that trigger. "Please, mom... Please, just look at me. It's me - Alex. You remember me?" He said desperately, but she kept coming.

"Carl and Eric are waiting at home for us, please, mom, stop." He whimpered.

She kept coming.

"I'm sorry..." He choked out when he realized there was no hope for her - With that, he lifted the gun fully and put one in her head, watching her in horror as her lifeless body dropped to the floor. He instantly fell to his knees and vomited across the hallway after that, followed by immediately putting the gun to his head and pulling the trigger.

Click.

Seven shots. The gun was empty.

What a miracle, because he was regretting it already.

Doors slamming shook the two girls awake, and Madeline was almost immediately gripping Aria's leg. Aria hissed in pain when her nails dug into her and pried them away before looking toward the bedroom door. Her room was a decent size as well as the others, but with pink carpet and white walls. Before her the room must have belonged to a younger girl. Aria did care enough to try and change it though, because who knows how long the family would hold her anyways? She could live on her own in just a matter of time as well. The twin bed shifted as Aria gently moved the waking girl to the side once muffled voices could be heard from the downstairs.

"-TV! On the TV!" The shreak was coming from Amelia who stood in the living room, and Patrick(the "father") could be heard with his deep voice hollering at her to shut up and go to be. Next came Kyle opening his door in the room next door. His footsteps moved past the room and to the top of the stairs, "Amelia, shut the fuck up!" It was clear he had been awake for a while and was fed up with her. The thirteen year old could be heard throwing up downstairs- and of course right there in the living room. Kyle groansed and went downstairs, and then it was quiet again.

Madeline had just gone back to sleep and Aria was on her way when the door was pushed open in a hurry. Aria's hand gripped the girls because she could dig her nails in again this time.

"Up, up. Get up, both of you." Kyle was panicked. Fear was clear, but the fact that he was the oldest kept him in that state of being in charge.

"Kyle, go to sleep." Aria snapped and tugged the girl closer to her.

"Something is wrong-" Drawers in her dresser were opened and the covers were ripped away, "-Put some more clothes on and let's go."

She knew not to mess with him when he used this tone. He wasn't messing with her. All business. Reluctantly, Aria and Madeline dragged themselves from the bed and the older girl changed into the pants and hoodie that were tossed at her. Her smallest hoodie was given to Madeline and they were ushered from the room.

"Where are we going?" Madeline asked tiredly.

Kyles voice answered her calmly, but Aria knew better. There was something else there. Panic. Fear.

"On a trip."

7:13AM

Eric hadn't slept well that night, because he'd heard chaos in the streets and spent a good hour holding Carl close and soothing his sobs - they heard people screaming, so Eric blocked Carl's bedroom door by shoving his dresser in front of it, then flicked the lamp off and went and lied in bed with him in the pure darkness. His arms were locked around his tiny shaking little body, and Eric even let him have the wall-side of the bed. Carl must have felt safe in his big brother's arms, because he was asleep within twenty more minutes after the first hour passed. Carl knew that the poor boy needed his sleep, but himself? He couldn't help but silently cry into Carl's pillow. He felt awful. He looked awful.

This whole fucking thing was awful.

When morning came around, he wasn't too bad. He went to the bathroom, relieved his bladder, washed his face, then went downstairs to fix up some breakfast for Carl. He wasn't hungry himself, really, but he still made himself some stuff so that he could go and eat with him. He'd given Carl one egg, four strips of bacon, and a slice of spaghetti-o's on toast. He was a decent cook, but he was a much better guitarist and singer. He'd given himself only two strips of bacon, though. The eggs and the spaghetti-o's on toast were roughly the same, but he just had less beans. He got some knives and forks for both plates, then slowly carried both plates up the stairs to Carl's room.

As he walked in, he turned cheery and smiled. "Wakey-wakey, eggs and bakey!" He called out, laughing a little thereafer. Carl slowly sat up in his bed and looked at Eric with a smile.

"Hey, Eric...." He murmured, sending him a sweet little smile as he wiped his eyes with closed fists. "Is that for me?" He asked.

"Well, I'm not gonna' eat two plates myself, am I?" He asked, winking at him as he walked over to the bed and placed one plate down in Carl's lap, whom of which had shuffled around to sit against the wall. "Uh-oh, Spaghetti-O's." Eric said in a cheery and jokey tone. Carl giggled a little and looked up at him, but soon started tucking in.

I suppose the news of Alex potentially not coming back could be saved for later.

Plus, why did Eric need him after what he did?

--

Alex was sitting there in the hallway. He'd been sitting there all night, hugging his knees, just staring at the dead bodies in the hallway. He'd heard cars drive by, and he'd heard scratching at the doors and windows but no one had ever gotten in. He just sat there, the empty gun at his side. He was wondering how long it was going to be before he left, and at the same time, he was thinking about whether or not someone was going to find him, first. He realized that his shirt was covered in blood.

Was it really worth going home to the two boys that trusted him to come back? Was it really worth it at all after he didn't even hesitate to try and end it all for himself without even thinking about it? He didn't deserve to have those two as brothers, the ones that always seemed happy and always seemed like they could help you out no matter who you were.

He wasn't like that.

Someone had to find him, or he was going to be here a while.

The shiny car out front and no noise from within the house surely must have been enough to make someone realize that someone may have been here... Right?

Kyle had Aria, and Aria had Madeline. The three of them made it through the halls and the man stopped to motion for Madeline to cover her ears. "Let's play a game," The girl suggested and dropped to her knees so that they were level with each other. "Kyle's going to be the judge and we're going to play a game. It's kind of like a staring contest." She brought the hood up on Madeline's hoodie-which was really Aria's and fit like a dress on the small girl- and continued, "Only instead of staring we're going to shut our eyes. I bet I'll beat you!"

The challenge was all Madeline needed and she immediately had this little look on her face that just dared the older girl to try. "You can not!" And with that she squeezed her eyes shut and covered them. If the game were real that wouldn't be allowed but Aria thought it was better she did. She didn't question Kyle, and could still hear Ameila in the living room. When he led them to the bottom of the steps he held a finger to his lips and turned the corner towards the closest door. The back door was that, so they made their way through the kitchen.

Amelia was surrounded by her own vomit, mixed in with blood. She was alone, and the foster parents could be heard down the hall in their own room speaking into a phone. Probably a doctor or something. She was bleeding too, when Aria looked closer after making sure Madeline's eyes were still shut. Amelia was shaking and still hacking, and Kyle dragged them along. It took everything for the seventeen year old not to open her mouth and ask questions. She knew better, though.

When they were outside they circled the house. For it being three in the morning, a lot of house lights were on. A lot of people were outside. I suppose, though, that at this point a better word might be things. Kyle opened the back door for Madeline, and rushed Aria to get into the passenger seat. A car seat could wait.

"Kyle-" The twenty year old shook his head, and cut her off, "Aria opened her eyes! She lost!" Madeline opened hers and squealed in excitement, "I told you so!"

"Mad, get some sleep, okay? We're going on a trip and it's going to be a long drive." She didn't actually know how long they'd be in the car but she didn't care. She needed to ask questions, and the seven year old needed to sleep.

It wasn't long until the girl was fast asleep again and they were on the road. They whizzed past those things wandering in the street and Aria finally found a time to speak. "Where are we going?"

"The country." Aria asked him why and he took a deep breath, but never looked away from the road.

"There's something going on. I'm not too sure what but people are getting sick a. I mean super sick. I don't get it." He paused and took an annoyed breath. Not with her, but with the situation. "The news said that the sickness is making them hungry. And forcing some weird cravings. Like.. humans. I don't know." His grip on the wheel tightened.

"Amelia was getting sick, and I knew you had the girl. I needed to get you two out of there."

Alex walked out of the building and sat there in the front of his mother's car, staring blankly out into the street where all of the undead had seemed to gather up. Some of them were clawing and scratching at the car door and windows, but to no avail. There was no way that any of this was opening up, that was for sure. Plus, he could just drive off if there was any danger to himself. He just needed to sit here and think about things for a while longer, that was all. What else was there to do? He didn't need to go home to his brothers. They didn't need him. With all this shit going on, was there really any point in going home at all? Who knows. Maybe there was, and maybe there wasn't.

He hoped someone would find him, but he didn't want to go home. He wasn't ready to go home, even though Eric was ready to leave. Eric was ready to pack his bags and go with Carl and find some place safe, even if it meant that he had to learn to drive, or learn to kill whatever was going on out there. He didn't know how long they'd be able to hold out here. He didn't want to risk Carl's life anymore than they already had. The little guy didn't deserve that, not at all.

While Eric was washing dishes, something shocked him - Something came to the kitchen window, and he soon saw that the back gate was open. The face in the window made him jump back in shock, dropping the dish into the hot water in the basin. He slowly backed away from the window as the creature at question licked the glass and chattered its teeth together in an attempt to get closer to him. Oh fuck. Eric felt sick when he saw that this person was also missing an eye, but that wasn't all he had to worry about.

He ran upstairs and grabbed the metal baseball bat from under his bed, followed by going to Carl's room and standing against the door, the bat clutched tightly at his side. "Keep doing your drawing, Carl." He smiled at the young child, whom of which instantly went back to his crayon-drawing on his piece of paper on the floor.

7:30 AM

She wasn't worried about the undead right at that moment. Her mind was on the girl she watched after for nearly her entire time being here in Wisconsin. Aria was the one to feed the girl when she got out of school. She was the one who got the girl to school when she missed the bus or didn't have a ride. Aria was the one who the girl came to when her parents were drunk or fighting. What were they supposed to do with Madeline? They couldn't leave her in the street, and taking her back to dead parents made no sense. They had to tell her something. She was smart, and Aria would admit that at times the seven year old might have been smarter than her.

"Tell her." Kyle said without taking his eyes off the road. She seemed to have read her mind. "She's going to be confused if you don't tell her."

Aria tossed a look back at the sleeping girl. It made sense that she was sleepy, as it was still just early in the morning. "Couldn't she just figure it out on her own?" She scoffed and turned back ahead. she was tired, and Kyle was tired. They were all tired, and they were afraid. This happened in just a matter of hours, and they were already passing cluster after cluster of these.. things. Aria looked away when they passed a stalled car surrounded by the people.

10:00 AM

They stopped for a little bit to let Kyle go in a shop and get things they'd need. Necessities like tooth brushes, deodorant, water, canned foods, bread, clothes. People were already in a panic and clearing out the shelves on the inside, and Kyle was in a hurry to get out of there by the time the two girls were awake and talking.

"They want to eat me?" Madeline had trouble understanding the situation, but was on the right track. Aria hadn't come out and said this exactly, but had implied it. She knew Mad could take it. She acted more like a rational adult than someone her age. A slow nod came from the girl while she comprehended it, and Kyle opened the door to the back seat to shove in the bags as well as a car seat. Madeline let him help her into it and seemed to calm compared to the others around her. Aria envied her.

With the traffic full of people trying to get out of there, they only made it a town over. Woodruff was just as busy and, fed up with the traffic, Kyle opted to lead them away from the busy roads and through back streets. They took their time on the streets, and when they came to a house with this red car being surrounded in front of it, Aria made him stop. She was tired of passing people up. She wanted to help someone. It wasn't something she wanted to do often so the man stopped with a grunt of disapproval. Taking a bat from what Kyle had gotten from the trip to the store, Aria got out. Madeline shouted for them to stop when Kyle did the same, but they told her to stay. She did, and shut her mouth when the undead turned their attention toward them. Only then did it occur to them- Was his a good idea?

Probably not.

10:30AM

"Eric... Why hasn't Alex come home yet?" Carl squeaked in question. Eric just ducked down beside him and pulled him into a little hug, snuggling him close to his chest as he bowed his head down to rest it on top of Carl’s own. How did he answer that question? He wasn’t sure, but he had to say something.

“I don’t know.” Was all he managed to choke out, and he felt himself crying. He’d broke under all the stress and was really struggling to cope now. Carl knew he was crying, but instead of embracing him, he pulled away and looked him in the eyes. Eric bowed his head and covered his face.

“Don’t cry, Eric…” He whimpered. “It’s okay… If… If Alex doesn’t come back for a long time, we can look after each other while we wait!” He suggested enthusiastically, a tad of sadness to his voice as he spoke. Eric looked at him and gave a sad and shaky smile – He was angry at Alex, and he was going to beat his ass when – if – he saw him again. He was really fucking angry for Alex just walking out and leaving like that.

--

Alex heard a car, and that was that. He snapped out of his little phase and looked up at the undead figure at the window of his side. He didn’t want to die like this, so what did he do? He pulled out the empty gun and reached into the back pocket of his pants, pulling out the last magazine of seven bullets that he had. He slipped it into the gun, pulled the slide back to chamber around, then did the next thing on his agenda.

He kicked the car door open and sent the figure stumbling back, hitting the floor with a thud and a hiss. With that, he sprung out and aimed the gun down at the head of the flesh-eating human and pulled the trigger. Through the eye, out the back – That was that one done for, but there were a few more. He turned his gun 180 degrees to the left, and he found his sights on another that was shambling towards him.

He pulled the trigger and it hit the floor.

He was cold, emotionless.

Three more, so it seemed. Had someone came to his rescue? Alex was in tears again, looked around the age of seventeen or so, dark hair, but a tired face. Only tired for now, obviously, and it was clear that he hadn’t slept. He was getting slower and slower with his movements, and the next two shots that he fired were completely off-target.

Someone needed to get him out of there.

"Help him," Kyle ordered her and she wasted no time. She was quicker than the undead which made her stick out enough, but still approached in a cautious manner due to the fact that he had a gun. Her free hand was raised to show she meant no harm and the other held her bat out away from them.

Kyle worked away at the few left surrounding them, and told the two to hurry and that more were coming. He wasn't wrong, either. They had caught the attention of others. "We're helping," Aria told the stranger. What else was she supposed to say? Get in the car?

"We have a full tank of gas and we're headed somewhere safe," she tried convincing the tired male and made an attempt at reaching for the gun, "Do you have family? We'll help them, too."

Kyle grunted at that, clearly just wanting to get out of here, but she didn't care. She'd want someone to help her, wouldn't she? The three were alone for the moment and Kyle stepped over to pull Aria back to the car. She pushed him away and waited for Alex's reply.

No way was she taking the gun. He snatched his hand back and hid the gun in his pants, continuing to sob and cry. "We need--.." He took a long deep breath. "We live on a Cul De Sac and I know this town! It's safe in that area, I swear..." He sobbed, covering his face with his hands as he slowly rose to his feet. "I know places in this town that we can use, but things are goin' to fuckin' shit and you can't go out there! If you go out there you're gonna' die!" He sobbed, into his hands, shaking his head wildly. There was so much on his mind right now - The primary things were Carl and Eric. He couldn't leave them alone.

"We need--.. We need to get to my house." He sobbed, quickly rising up to his feet and pacing back and forth. "My younger brothers are there. Two of them. My parents, they... They went out last night. They..." He looked over his shoulder at the house and sighed a little to himself. "They didn't make it." He swallowed a lump in his throat. "Look... I... I know all the places here that will be best, I assure you - they'll have food, places to sleep, just... They'll have what we need, trust me." He gulped once. "My neighborhood, it's safe... We... We should head back there." He gulped again and quickly wiped his eyes.

"It's not safe to spend this time out on the road... We don't have enough for all of us to pack up and leave... We... We should spend some time lookin' around on the Cul De Sac for a while. I'm begging you here - you don't have to help us but my youngest brother is five years old - He doesn't deserve to be dragged out of the house so abruptly and thrown into a car to go wherever. We... We should be careful, wait and see if the military intervene." He gulped. "We haven't heard from them yet, so they might come, but for now..." He sighed.

"I'll be on my way if you can't stick around, but... My brothers are young, my eldest is fourteen... Neither of them know about our parents yet, so... We need some time. Please?" He begged.

She didn't care that he was crying. Most girls would back off just at the sight of seeing a male cry, but she didn't. If she had family out there in danger she'd be in the same condition. Though all she had was Madeline who was safe in the car, and Kyle who was still in a hurry to get out of here. He wasn't always so demanding and irritable. He was trying to protect them.

"We'll take you there." Aria suggested and her "brother" nodded in agreement, but warned him, "But there's a girl in the car. She's young. Seven years old, and if she sees a gun she's going to be even more scared."

Kyle gently grabbed the two by their sleeves and tugged them along and towards the car, where Madeline was no longer in the car seat, but on the floor of the car. In a way it was smart, but it was clear she had done it merely because she was afraid. Nothing had seen her though, so it worked out. Arielle offered for the newcomer to sit in the front with Kyle so that he could show them directions to his home, and this way she could sit with the young girl who was really quite shy toward strangers.

"This Cul de Sac.. where is it?" Kyle pushed his bat into the back seat with the girls and put the car into drive. It was a simple car. Black and small. But it ran and had a full tank of gas at the moment, so it was alright.

It occurred to her that it wasn't safe to be toting around a stranger, but Kyle was fearless. If worse comes to worse then they'd shove him onto the street to be feasted upon, as sick as it sounds. But it was a place to spend the night, and he had a family as well. It would have to work for at least a little bit.

"It's a quiet place, kinda' fancy." Alex explained with a small sigh as he climbed into the car, the front seat. His shirt was splattered with blood, but he wiped his face with it nonetheless and took a deep breath. "Take a right off of this road, then go straight down by four blocks." He said. "You'll come along to the Cul De Sac then, if you drive right down to the end of it, it's the third house on the left curve, glass-paneled doors." He explained, slowly setting his head back against the seat of the car and sighing gently once again. God, that was disastrous. He needed to shower when he got back.

But first he had to get his ass beat, because he knew that Eric was going to fucking flip when he got back. If he and Carl weren't dead, but he was hoping that wouldn't be the case. "I came out here looking for my parents who went by a friend's house... Her husband wasn't doing so well and they'd gone there to help out, but..." He choked on his own words and leaned his head over against the window beside him. ".. My brothers have been alone since last night, but all the doors were locked, and my eldest brother knows what he's doing. He'd protect his little brother no matter what, and he'd know what to do if they found themselves in a sticky situation. He's smart like that." He explained.

"I got stuck out here because those... Things... Swarmed the house that I went into. It sucked, but... Argh... My brother's not gonna' be happy, I can tell you that." He explained. "We've got a couple of spare rooms for you, if you want. There's plenty of food, and bottled water. Our mom did a lot of exercising, so all she drank was the damn bottled stuff." He managed to give a sad laugh. ".. I'm Alex, by the way... I'm seventeen, and... As of last night... The new man of my household, I guess." He gulped. ".. I'm sorry if I caused any panic back there, but... Those things were all over me. Where did you guys travel from? Local?" He asked.

The way the stranger relaxed after he got in the car was visible, and rather contagious. When they were settled there was a moment of silence before he bag an to talk. And talk and talk. Kyle relaxed and Madeline seemed interested. Aria on the other hand wasn't sure. She watched the back of his head from the back seat and listened. Observed. He was honest, that was clear.

"No, we could find somewhere to stay, it's okay." She didn't like this. She wanted to be alone, and away from a house of six. She wanted to question people and ask them why. Why aren't there officials here helping them?

"Thank you, Alex." Kyle interrupted before she could continue, and a small huff of disappointment could be heard from the back.

The next voice was small, still shy, but it was like a ray of sunshine through the otherwise horrific day, "My name is Madeline." She was proud and had a silly little grin on her face. She had gotten over what she might have seen in the driveway of that house, but hadn't seen the blood on his shirt yet.

"I'm Kyle, and-" The driver tossed a look back at the girl. It was clear that they were very on and off. They were close, but they didn't always get along, "Miss sunshine back there is Aria."

"Arielle." She corrected him and reached over to fix the small girls car seat. The way she corrected him with the full name was a sign that she already held Alex at a distance.

Soon they pulled into the driveway and Kyle reached for his bat while going for the door handle as well. "This is the right house, right? Third house, glass paneled doors."

"Hey there, little one." He smiled as he looked into the rear-view mirror at the young girl in the back. "Ah, you can't be much older than my youngest brother. I bet you're taller, though." He said in a friendly manner, a smile glued to his face. He was good enough with kids, it seemed, so he couldn't have been lying about the brothers. People who have younger siblings or children in their family are sort of naturally good with kids in most situations, so this was how things were. Alex wasn't a liar. He was honest, and he was offering them somewhere that might have genuinely been a safe place.

Once they pulled into the drive he nodded and sighed. "Yeah, this is the place." He took one last deep breath and looked down at his shirt, sighing a little. He wanted to get inside and change his clothes. "Arielle, Aria... You got it. And Kyle. Nice to meet all of you." He smiled weakly and looked out of the windscreen. "Right... Let's get inside, it's not safe on the streets. I think we've still got power, so we can check the radio and the TV to see if there's any word on what's going on." He explained, pushing the car door open before slowly climbing out. "There's also the food and drink there if any of you are hungry. Once we get inside, we'll get things sorted out." He explained, slowly walking up to the door and pulling out a key from the pocket of his pants. Okay. He wasn't lying about this being his house, either.

He pushed the door open and it creaked open, no sign of life there at all. The lights were off, and that worried him, and the worry on his face was very apparent. ".. Eric?" He called out, somewhat loudly. "Carl...?" He called again.

"Alex?!" They heard a teenage boy shout from somewhere upstairs. Alex sighed and looked at the group in the car, nodding backwards towards the house. "Let's get inside, quick. I don't know if there's any of those things around here or not, I haven't been here since last night. It was clear last night, and there wasn't any on the Cul De Sac itself, but there were some on the outsides of it. I don't know if any have gotten within this place or not." He stepped against the door and moved aside to let them all in.

It was a nice interior, and quite a luxury one with polished wood floors and fancy Ikea furniture. The parents must have had good jobs in order to afford a place like this and live stably with three kids. Alex seemed nice, though, right? Not spoiled, or anything like that. None of them were. Eric was just bitter.

If you thought Arielle was stubborn, you just wait until they meet Eric.

She couldn't complain about being here with the stranger. She couldn't complain about anything. She was so confused and tired that it would be pointless to try to complain or argue anything. Get over it and go inside. Sleep, maybe? She reasoned with herself, and by the time Alex had gone to his door and turned back to nod for them to go inside Kyle was already getting out. Madeline had undone her seatbelt, and even Aria found herself itching to get inside. It looked big and homey and safe. She wanted just a place to relax and try to get a grip on what was going on, you know?

Madeline on the other hand, was excited. She was no stranger to being thrown into confusion. Mommy and Daddy were always fighting, so she got into a decent habit of just nod questioning things and staying quiet. Questions came later. Kyle held her hand on the way to the door, and he was in a hurry. She didn't know why, but she thought it had something to do with the people who wanted to eat her. Alex was nice, she decided. He also talked about his brother who was close to her age. A friend!

The three of them made it to the door and entered. Aria nudged it shut behind them, now hearing the voices from the upstairs. A teens, Kyle figured. This wouldn't' be much different from home. Home. What happened after they left? He felt guilty because he only had time to get Aria's room cleared. He slept with his television on and had woken to the story of the infected in the streets. He knew Amelia was headed down that path and he didn't have the kind of time to empty the entire house. What happened to the couple? The other three kids? He didn't have time to worry.

"It's nice," He heard Aria at his side, looking over the house. It was clear they had money, with three kids you must, but she was still impressed.

"Thank you." Alex smiled a little and looked over his shoulder at them. He quickly lead them through to the kitchen where he retrieved an old shirt that was in the wash basket beside the back door. "The back door's locked - You can turn on the TV in here, if you want." He said. There was a small TV mounted up in the corner of the room above the counter. The kitchen itself had a very modern look to it really, all shiny and fancy. "I just need to.." He held the shirt up to cover up his old one as he backed out of the room and quickly went around the corner, ripping off his current shirt and slipping on the other one. It didn't smell bad, and didn't have blood on it.

Always a plus, right?

He went back into the kitchen, smiling at them all. He looked at the little girl and gave her the best friendly smile he could, even though he looked absolutely exhausted. "Sorry about that... Welcome to our home. It's not a fort, but... It's somewhere that's away from everything for now, right?" He said, scratching the back of his head. "I think our best bet would be to wait for the army to say something... If there's nothing on the TV, I'll get the radio out." He said, but that was when he heard footsteps on the stairs and sighed to himself.

By the time he'd turned around, Eric was in the doorway of the kitchen - He peered over at the three newcomers that were here, and saw that there were no parents of his there. For that, he hated all but the little girl. That included Alex. He hated him now. ".. Mom and dad?" He asked, softly, his voice struggled. Alex only had to turn and look at him - You could see the literal moment that the teenage boy's heart cracked in two. His lips formed into a shaky frown before he immediately turned and left the room, breaking down into tears when he was halfway up the stairs.

Alex sighed and went over and sat down at the kitchen table, rubbing his face with one hand. "I'm sorry." He said. ".. Eric... He... He's not good around new people, and the thing with our parents just..." He sighed and shook his head. "He'll say hi later, but for now, he just... I don't know." He shrugged weakly. "Can I get you guys some... Uh... Coffee, or water, or juice, or something?" He asked. ".. I've got some soup in the cupboard if you want me to heat that up, too." He offered.

Madeline wandered on her own, inspecting the entire kitchen as if it were a job. She had to stand up on her tiptoes in order to reach up onto the counter finding the Television set before Alex had even mention it. Kyle nudged her before she could reach it though and she backed off and returned to their side. The three of them took a moment to breathe and take in their surroundings while he changed his shirt.

Aria opened her mouth to speak just as Eric appeared in the doorway. She shut her mouth then and allowed him to take them in, and shifted uncomfortably on her feet when their parents were mentioned. It was an awkward situation when Alex had to tell his brother that their parents were dead, and heartbreaking when the look on his face could be seen. It was times like this when she had that sickening thought where she was the slightest bit grateful that she didn't have this issue to deal with. Aria's eyes fell to the kitchen table at exactly that moment and only raised again when they were offered drinks.

"Waters, please." Kyle answered instead, followed by Madeline who could bring a smile to anyone's face. "I had ice cream. Aria bought it for me." She sat straighter at that, proud, but was still visibly exhausted. Aria gave off a small laugh, and hugged the tired girl closer to her, reminding her that that was hours and hours ago.

She took a moment to really take in the stranger now, wanting to familiarize herself with someone who isn't likely to stay a stranger. After a moment she finally spoke, "We're tired. We'll take the couch though. We don't mind."

"Ice cream, eh?" Alex smiled and walked over to her, gently patting her head after placing the three glasses of water down on the table in front of them. "I'm pretty sure we've got some ice cream in the freezer, so later on when we have dinner, maybe I'll let you sneak some outta' there without my brothers noticing, hm?" He smiled at her and winked, followed by looking up at Kyle and Aria. He was about to speak, but a little boy came into view at the kitchen door with shaggy dark hair like the teenager had, and usually, the little boy would have a big smile, but now he was in tears. Alex looked over at him and sighed, quickly making his way over.

"Oh, no... What's wrong, buddy?" He asked, quickly sweeping him up off of the floor and letting him gently rest in his arms. Carl put his head down on his shoulder and continued to sniffle and whimper. "What's up? Just get a bit scared by everything that's going on, or...?" He asked. He was hoping he'd say scared, but that wasn't the case at all. The little boy just shook his head. Dammit.

"Eric's crying and he won't talk at all..." He whimpered, then broke out into tears himself. Alex sighed and looked at the three at the table. "You're free to bring your waters with you to the living room - we've got three couches in there, two large, one small. If you want to spread out or just share one of the large ones between you, that's up to you, ultimately." He said, leading them out of the kitchen and into the living room - spacious, luxury, and unique. The blinds were closed, too, which was always a plus.

"I can leave you alone if you want... I've got some issues to take care of myself, as you can see." He said, gently patting the sobbing boy on his shoulder on the back, giving a lighthearted smile.

The three of them head off in the direction of the living room while being led, eager to get out of Alex's way. He had his own problems to take care of, and neither of them wanted to interfere or make it any worse. Madeline was aught staring at the crying boy, curious and worried. Kyle gently nudged her along toward the large room. Again, they were caught inspecting it in awe. It made sense. There were several of them in one home, and it was never this big. Let alone this clean. Especially Aria, who had been passed along from home to home for such a long time.

Madeline had warmed up quickly to the stranger, judging by the way she watched him so closely. As if she didn't want him to leave. Aria would admit that he was good with kids, causing her to gain a bit more trust. He was the man of the house, and was smart enough to return to his brothers. She rand her fingers through Madeline's hairs, distracting the girl from staring. "Sleep, Mad." It was as though she had been waiting to hear it and crawled up onto the couch, eager.

"We don't mind. You look like you've got a few things to get out of the way." Kyle answered and raked a hand through his hair. He looked just as tired as Madeline did, but Aria was wide awake. She glanced his way and added, "Let us know if we can help out with anything." She tried a smile and then poked the TV, turning it on.

This channel was fuzz, as she was expecting. Some channels might be, but most she figured would still be running.

"Also, thank you for this."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back