PHANTASMA: SCHOOL OF THE STRANGE

Maxwelle said:
The file for the skill points and stuff won't load for me. Is there something I can do? Or perhaps another way?
Basically, in Risus, your "skills" are actually "cliches", stereotypical traits that any person would expect your character to have. Say, for example, an astronaut is fully expected to know about space ships and is good with computers.

How many points you put into a cliche determines how many dice you can use in combat. You spend points to attack and defend, and remove them from the pool when you perform skill checks during combat. When your cliche runs out of points, you lose the fight. I wouldn't suggest having any cliches start at 1 point, because that basically means you can't use it in combat without immediately losing.

Basically, cliches are traits that help define a character that you can bolster with points (dice). Points in a cliche are a combination between attack strength and hitpoints. All skill checks outside of combat go by a roll of 5d6, all skill checks inside of combat go by a roll of xd6, where x is however many points you've spent for that check.

Remi's skills weren't filled out correctly. All skills cap at five points maximum. You'll have to redistribute and give her a few extra skills; I'd personally recommend skills relating to the class she teaches.

Also I noticed you have points in making your blade venomous, and just "evasion". In Risus' combat, you only need one dice pool to fight. You describe what you do, roll, and then post results based on who rolled higher. You only need one cliche to fight, and swordsmanship is fine for that. Swordsmanship would actually encompass attack and defense, so there's no need to waste dice on being good at one move, unless you plan on having her be some savant at dodging. You can keep venomous blade or something similar and use that to pump your dice (add more during combat), but I should warn you that pumping dice is a risk-reward move; after the roll, you lose an equal number of dice you just pumped.

I'm sorry if this is a little complicated. Long story short, skills cap at five dice, and evasion is a redundant skill. You can keep it if you'd like, but I wouldn't recommend such.

Blake, on the other hand, is good to go.

Maxwelle said:
Oh, I see. Is that any better?
@ComradeSenpai
Those aren't really cliches, they're more... powers. Usually, "skills and abilities" in Risus translates to "personality quirks that have a practical purpose", like Blumenkraz's "Crazy Drugmaster" cliche. Her character is a worryingly devout fan of chemistry, and as such can use household chemicals to cook up all sorts of nasty things, like whatever 'Mr. Bones' is.

DrBones said:
Those aren't really cliches, they're more... powers. Usually, "skills and abilities" in Risus translates to "personality quirks that have a practical purpose", like Blumenkraz's "Crazy Drugmaster" cliche. Her character is a worryingly devout fan of chemistry, and as such can use household chemicals to cook up all sorts of nasty things, like whatever 'Mr. Bones' is.
Bones is right, I just wasn't sure how to explain it. You can keep what you have, or redo it if you want.

Okay, haha, sorry I can't quiet get a firm grasp of it x(

She'd teach something like that involves healing. Such as creating herbal remedies and using healing magic.

Edit: I'll attempt to revise

Maxwelle said:
Okay, haha, sorry I can't quiet get a firm grasp of it x(
She'd teach something like that involves healing. Such as creating herbal remedies and using healing magic.

Edit: I'll attempt to revise
This setting is basically modern fantasy. I'd probably aim for a class you could find in any modern high school.

We'll find that out.

So looks like you're in then.

---

Speaking of cliches, I have noticed that one of mine for Achim's has an overlap with one of the others. (Dirty Fighting and Shotgun.) Honestly I'm bamboozled on the fact I didn't pick that up earlier.

I'd ask to uh, see if I could trade it in for like (2) Tattoo Artist. Because I don't like the idea of those two overlapping. And since he's already an Art Teacher, (plus the fact of his background) feel Tattoo Artist would be a decent replace.

Cool either way if trade in or not. Just wanted to ask.

Maxwelle, was it really wise to start in the school while it's empty? I'm not sure how much longer we're going to stay in France, but you may be stuck for a while.

Hmm, this is going nothing but bad for me lol D: I'll probably just withdraw. I don't understand the dice thing anyway >.<

Maxwelle said:
Hmm, this is going nothing but bad for me lol D: I'll probably just withdraw. I don't understand the dice thing anyway >.<
Don't be a quitter! You can always organize something with the GM, if you're unsure of what to do!

Maxwelle said:
Don't just quit! If you're unsure how to start, you should just ask for help.

Well, there's currently three main groups.

1) Richter, Achim, Skeltal, Nums, and B20. They were in the Red Light district trying to find Natalya. Probably the best group to join in, as they're out and about actually doing stuff.

2) Lily and Anya, in the slummy hotel where the school is staying. Anya just got all fucked up and lost an eye after being kidnapped, so she's recovering there. This would probably be the easiest to join since a teacher would be at the hotel anyways, but not a lot is going on.

3) Susie and Natalya, in a cleaning van. Currently going to bust a kidnappers' business front and get Anya's eye/dress back. They're mobile and nobody actually knows where they even are, so you really can't join them unless you got caught up on the situation, THEN they told you where they are.

You also have the option of going about Paris alone, but it'd probably be no fun without another player.

Oh, one more thing. Start in France. We'll write you up as having already been a teacher for some amount of time, so it's easier to get you in.

Apologies for being somewhat inactive the past couple of days. I've taken ill and can't quite think straight at the moment. I should be well enough in a couple of days, though, as I now have an antibiotic and some pain medication. Just thought you all deserved an update.

Still feeling somewhat ill, but I am no longer in so much pain that I can't trust myself to convey a proper message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back