Tech People of RPN, I need your help.

Deadkool

A Sad Remnant of a Forgotten Time
My headphone jack is stuck in my IPad 2. I've tried pushpins, tiny pins, a Lego gun, a pencil, a pen, and shaking to try and get the jack out, but to no avail. I've been through a lot with this device, please techie people of RPN, help me fix my IPad.

Have you tried taking it to an Apple store? Don't they have that "Genius Bar" thing that is designed for issues of this sort? (I've never visited one myself, so I'm unsure)

Well, yes, but the closest one to me is a two hour drive, so if possible I'd like to avoid that. Also they charge $100 plus for this kind of stuff

Ouch. Well, it sounds like anyone who'd be able to help would need to have some kind of look at the device. Do you have any pictures? It may be futile in any case, but that sounds better than nothing.

I can't out out a picture up today, don't have another camera on me. Sort of like trying to write on a pencil. I'll put one up tomorrow.

UGH

I wrote a long reply but tapatalk fucked me over.

In short, glue the mother fucker out. Apply strong glue to back end of pen, attach to jack, let try, pull.

If that doesn't work then get your keys, you're taking a drive.

I agree with Atom on this one. Super glue something to the end of a jack and pull it out. That's my last resort. That works 99% of the time.

As for the Genius Bar, they have never charged me for little stuff like that. The only time I had to pay for anything at Genius Bar was for them to replace my disc drive with another hard drive. And then, they only charged me for the part, no labour. Maybe it varies place to place, but I've taken my computer in on several different occasions for little stuff (broke a key, track-pad malfunctioning, etc. etc.) and they fixed it all for free.

I've never tried the superglue method before... I have a mini pair of pliers and a can of compressed air that resolve most of my problems.

But @Mordecai is right. The Genius Bar might be your best bet despite the long drive if the superglue method doesn't work. (Trust me. I know the pain. Someone drove a car through the Apple store near my house, and I had to make the two hour drive to the next closest store because my laptop had issues.)

I have never been charged for little things at the Genius Bar, and stuck jack doesn't sound like a big deal. Or you could try a regular fixit shop. Though, they'll probably charge.

Apple products are notoriously hard to take apart, but it is possible without much damage, you can run a search online for disassembly of your iPad model and you should be able to get it apart...Maybe, I dunno, I don't use apple stuff much.

That said, it might be better just to take a drive, or try one of the other people. Some headphone jacks are designed to keep it in there without a lot of force, so....

If you had a lego jammed down your ear, you'd go to at least a doctor, so I think the same would go for having a jack jammed up your iPad. (That sounds painful.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back