• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Patrons

Blemmigan

Illusion is eternity. Machines will live forever.
I remember when magic was something vigorous and true.
I remember when the devout would pray for the power to rebuild a city, repel an army, extend a lifespan.
I remember the sacrifices made. I remember the love and the worship.
I remember when I, too, was remembered.

introduction
The land of Isson is littered with forgotten temples. Some were once large and ornate in the centre of cities, but now gutted and turned into halls or mansions. Others were more modest, but built in earnest by villagers who prayed for some small protection against the things they feared in the dark. Each temple begs the attention of one of the country's old gods, with their likeness pride of place. But those beautiful marble statues have long since been broken or sold, and even in the smallest temples the rough engravings of the patron god's faces have eroded away. Some of the village elders still tell tales of the gods, but that is all they are, now: characters in a story.

For new gods, the people have the routines of money and business, engineering and innovation. There are no temples or names for these gods, and tales of the old days, when the gods bestowed their chosen few with magic, have been dismissed as myth. After all, it may make a good story, but magic could never be real. It simply had to be our primitive ancestors' way of explaining strong leaders and natural disasters, tied up in a neat narrative bundle to thrill their children. These days, even those who call themselves sorcerers or seers are dismissed as frauds. There is no place in society for the fiction of magic.

But those old stories tell that Isson is built on magic. It was raised from the sea by the gods who presided over it, and who each chose a worshipper to bestow with their gifts. Foreign armies were repelled, harvests were plentiful, and the chosen priests spoke the will of the divine. Some gods demanded sacrifices of various kinds, others required worship in their own ways, but their names were spoken and praised by all. The words and love of the people kept the gods alive, and in turn the powers granted made Isson rich and peaceful.

Which is true? Did the gods create the land from nothing, or were they created by those who later praised them? The gods cannot exist without worship. As they were ignored, the power of their priests diminished. And as the power diminished, so too did the worship, and history became fiction and their names became nothing at all.

summary
Gods used to be not only revered, but real. They granted their specific kind of magic powers to a chosen patron, a kind of priest who was considered the god's mortal counterpart and used those powers to benefit the country as much as possible. However, the last patron was hundreds of years ago, and the gods have been dismissed as an ancient fiction.

Not so. The gods are still alive. They are, however, diminished in power: without worship, they are hardly stronger than a mortal, and although they do not age, they are fully able to be killed should someone try to hurt them. Some have found success living as a mortal, whereas others are no more than beggars, staying close to one of their old temples in the hope that it might revitalise them, or keep them safe.

But now the gods are grouping together, ready to either regain their powers or to finally die in the process. One last time, each will choose a patron and bestow their powers upon them, showing the world that they are more than stories, trying to win back the love and worship that they so desperately need.

ideas
If you're interested, please feel free to state your preference on any of the following!
  • In which time frame should the RP take place? The land is fictional, but should it be inspired by a medieval time period or the industrial revolution?
  • Update: "Mortals" refers to "humans", without other fantasy-style "races".
  • Is there a current, overarching religion? Either a foreign army invaded, and essentially "wiped out" the old gods, or people just grew to favour technology and science over so-called magic.

Last edited:
Oh, I love this idea and most certainly wish to take part! ^^
To answer your first question, personally, I'm an absolute sucker for more historical-based roleplays so perhaps a technologically-advanced Middle Ages? I can imagine King Arthur being a prime example of one of these patrons :D
Although, if you're leaning towards a more Asian kind of setting with the deities and shrines/temples then maybe you could go for something like feudal Japan?

This sounds really cool! I think the Industrial Revolution would fit? Mortals discovering better ways to manufacture and becoming more money focused while the old gods are forgotten sounds interesting. Fantasy-style races would make it seem like magic has never left, unless they are the kind that aren't born with magic like dwarves, the classic vampire (no sun, holy artefacts, or garlic immunity), etc. It really depends on the race. If the story were to take place in the industrial revolution, I think mortals would value the advancement of technology and science more that "old tales".

Honestly I don't mind the setting, I'll probably enjoy this either way.

I'd love to participate.

As for the preferences...

1. I agree with the posts made above in that I feel like this RP and the concept behind it would fit most smoothly in a historical setting. Personally I enjoy and am more familiar with a Medieval time period, but I could see the Industrial Revolution working just as well.

2. I'm fine with anything, though too much freedom in absurd races does tend to get a little messy.

3. Not very experienced in the area of religion, whether it be fictional or non-fictional, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help here.

Interested, but first, does the pantheon of gods consist of gods from our world or are they all new ones? Whatever it may be, I’m totally in

Thanks for the replies/comments!

For the second point, I think I'll stick with just human mortals, to try and keep it from being too "magical", or just plain confusing.

To answer your first question, personally, I'm an absolute sucker for more historical-based roleplays so perhaps a technologically-advanced Middle Ages? I can imagine King Arthur being a prime example of one of these patrons :D

This sounds really cool! I think the Industrial Revolution would fit? Mortals discovering better ways to manufacture and becoming more money focused while the old gods are forgotten sounds interesting. [...] If the story were to take place in the industrial revolution, I think mortals would value the advancement of technology and science more that "old tales".

1. I agree with the posts made above in that I feel like this RP and the concept behind it would fit most smoothly in a historical setting. Personally I enjoy and am more familiar with a Medieval time period, but I could see the Industrial Revolution working just as well.

My (real life) history knowledge has hilariously big gaps in it (another reason for going for a fantasy world), so there's a blank space in my brain between "medieval-style times with castles, swords, peasants and classic fantasy setting" and "invention of factory machines and steam engines and also everyone is wearing hats". All of which means if someone has a more clear idea of a Good Time Frame, then I am 100% up for going for that.

I think I would rather avoid modern-day, partly to avoid it being too similar to American Gods, which I now remember exists. In that, there are literal, physical "new gods" representing things like media and the internet. And, well, I'm not planning on having a physical manifestation of the printing press being the Big Bad, as much as the concept brings me joy now that I've typed it.

The main antagonistic force could be an invading culture/religion (or one that grew from a foreign influence) which may have power of its own. Maybe it causes disasters/monsters to appear, to make the modern, more scientifically-minded people believe that they do need this new religion to save them. Enter brave warrior priests/sorcerers to show off ostentatious displays of power, visibly defeating the "evil" and being revered for it. Perhaps they find Isson to be a more fertile land for gods than they previously believed: their power is far greater than expected, as this land was created by gods and faith in the first place. If they manage to take over the country, then the original gods will be wiped out for good. Hence why they make a stand with one last attempt to fight back.

I've a vague idea for this "new religion" (and will make a lore sheet if it seems like it would work). Alternatively (or in addition to that), there is someone who sees that this "magic" is possible and the power it grants people. They may find out about the old patron gods, and try to obtain that power by hunting down the new chosen mortals, planning to kill them and promising success to the gods if they all choose this person as their new patron, as they are head of the resistance against the new culture and plan to rule the country themselves.

I tend to ramble, so hopefully that's not too confusing. I guess I'm throwing ideas out to see if any of them sound like something you definitely would not want.

Interested, but first, does the pantheon of gods consist of gods from our world or are they all new ones? Whatever it may be, I’m totally in

Whoops, I completely forgot to say that! They would be new/original gods, as I thought it would make a nice change... and also be fun to along the way create the stories and myths that would shape a country. So each god would have domain over something, or be associated with certain things, and that would similarly shape the kind of power they could bestow onto their chosen mortal. But the specifics of what that is, and how that works, would be up to the character's creator.

Currently the idea is for each person involved to create both a god character and a mortal character, who is their new patron. Although your god could be the patron of someone else's character if you'd both like to do that.

And, well, I'm not planning on having a physical manifestation of the printing press being the Big Bad, as much as the concept brings me joy now that I've typed it.

Pfff, oh god.

Now that I think about it, the industrial revolution wouldn't suit as much. Maybe the 16-17th century? I think somewhere around that time people became aware of science-y stuff. Maybe that could somehow fit in idk. Or maybe the 15th century? My history knowledge sucks so I idk :'D

Sorry, I'm loyal priestess of the divine god of printing presses. No other god can waver my faith with their so-called "badass" powers.

What's the new religion like?

Great interest check. It's nicely presented and well written, which unfortunately isn't that common on this site. And your premise is fairly original, which again, sets it apart in the fantasy section.

I don't love the idea of a rival religion being the antagonists, as it feels like the people in your world are turning their backs on the supernatural. Imo, a better threat would be an early scientific "enlightenment", an order of atheistic academics and aristocrats who despise (and lecture against) religions, spirituality, and mythology. Of course they would have a (possibly secret?) militant wing who silence anyone who would dare disagree with them...

Possibly set in the 18th century.

This looks incredibly cool. Let me just pull up my history notes- okay.

So, in terms of time period. I'm actually really supportive of the Industrial Revolution time period, namely because everyone really got swept up in it. Reform didn't start for a while, and for a long time the government was just content to let capitalism run amok, ignoring the awful labor condition and unsafe business practices and all that jazz. Additionally, the industrial revolution was Not Great for the environment, and I'm assuming most of these gods are probably nature-related gods (at least, no technology gods) so that could also be a reason why they suddenly appear. Maybe? Maybe not.

But either way, this looks interesting!

Hello! This concept/RP is still go, I've just been having Internet issues and haven't been able to access it on my laptop.

Okay so looking at preferences for time period/type of enemy, some kind of technological advancement seems the best bet. Not so much a replica of, say, Europe in the 18-19th century time frame, but it can take elements from the whole idea of losing touch with nature/ancestors/culture in favour of science and convenience. So various different kinds of industry time periods can be used, depending on where in the country one is: for example, villages are more likely to still be closer to (late) middle ages, whereas cities will have more factories and technological advancements, but also slums and pollution, as per S Stardreamer . Overall it would mean not worrying so much about things not being historically accurate to one particular time, but rather being a mixture of different things from different times and different parts of the world, maybe with certain cities going in slightly different directions and thus having different "themes" of how they oppose the old gods.

As with Bone2pick Bone2pick on thinking it I'm not so sure of an invading religion- partly because it seems like I can see it having the air of an anti-religion or anti-colonialism thing, when I picture it more as... people forgetting their roots, sacrificing things as different things become important. Not necessarily good or bad for humanity, just the way that people and society evolve or change... but obviously bad for the gods who depend on those old ways for their very existence, and/or the natural world that may be a part of them.

What's the new religion like?
Okay so my absent time has meant I've been thinking about possible "forms" for this new thing. Let's say that instead of a pre-established new religion, it's the technology/convenience side of their lives that is taking over. Maybe there are simple folk who see some of these new inventions as dangerous and hungry old gods, but in a paranoid sense rather than one that encourages worship. Say they've seen fellow workers crushed by looms or slowly suffocated from breathing in fibres.

Overall, these "new gods" would be frightening or dangerous to many, even if nobody acknowledged that they existed as gods. They may take the forms of high-ranking officials and advisors, growing powerful and fat off the reverence and fear granted to them. For example...
Progress as a rich factory owner in the city who encourages those who run his factories to focus on profit over people, encouraging greed and selfishness.
Pollution as a beautiful, grey-haired woman who only travels outside when the smog is thick and the rivers are choked with filth.
Industry, which mainly feeds off workers' fear of fatalities and accidents, is a hungry beast taking sacrifices in its own way.
Academia paints the old ways as being for simple-minded idiots, and his snobbery is echoed by the mortals who stamp out the mythological and consider themselves enlightened for it.
Agriculture may be a corrupted form of an older god, but now she slowly drains wetlands, fells trees, and replaces human workers with machines, driving people towards the cities and into the jaws of the other gods waiting there.

As well as the "bosses" (yes), there would possibly be lesser gods feeding off things like furnaces, chemistry, mining, slums and smog.

Either way, any ideas for these kinds of gods/enemy forces would be welcome, especially once I get a character sheet thread up, possibly as NPCs. I will hopefully finally make some threads by the weekend, or at least the OOC, lore and CS ones. Should probably try to come up with a better title, because I'm terrible at titles. To anyone who has been interested in this thread- thank you, and apologies for the delay and vagueness of plotting things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back