Other Patreon Rewards

I would like to see you continue So You Want To Write as a weekly or every-other-week column, or perhaps a short "Case Study" where you pick a story or a roleplay or something, and a topic such as character development or worldbuilding and describe how that work either did or didn't showcase good development.

I like reading snippets of your fiction. I imagine 'em going into eventual Crucible books? Kind of like the idea of getting a peek into that.

Would also be interested in articles that would challenge people to think more critically, e.g., what does their mechanics/setting say about the cultures they're describing? I think these are applicable to stories in multiple formats, from original fiction to roleplaying games to computer games. The worlds you've built make me think a little more about how I interact with people of different cultures in real life, and I like that.

Definitely like "So You Want to Write..." and have got to check out that World-Building Primer. Agreeing with what Welian said. I'd pay to reach a goal where we get our homework critiqued or read critique of others' homework.

Ex. Proko's an artist who releases free tutorials and then gives more in-depth coverage, "cheatsheets," and critique for those who pay for premium content. (Skip to

) Could something like that be set up in Patreon goals? Could either give critiques for people who pay at a certain level or, if a milestone is reached, you pick out an example to review from last "So You Want To Write..." / Primers.

Cirno said:
I'd pay to reach a goal where we get our homework critiqued or read critique of others' homework.
I imagine at least a few of the members here would pay for in-depth feedback on roleplays, prose, and poetry.

There's also a number who would pay to have Grey-senpai personally scold them.

If you wanted to be something a bit more interactive (and possibly be somewhat more pandering) run a Quest styled narrative, in that you write a story in large fragments, and at the end of every segment, have two or more multiple options in which the character or whoever can take or attempt, altering the scope and path of the story. Patrons can vote on which of these options should be chosen, or an alternate option, freebies and Patrons can vote, with Patrons having more weight to their vote.

You get enough Patrons, you can put up "sponsored" options, in which for a donation or only for Patrons, or Patrons of a certain pay-grade, they can affect characters or events in the story in terms of positive or negative random elements (again, you'd lay out the options possible in order to remain in control). You know, maybe some patrons think MC's having too much of an easy time and wanna see him/her fuck up or suffer, so they sponsor a bunch of dudes to come back looking for vengeance for some previous altercation or case of mistaken identity. Or some others particularly want him/her to get with another character, and sponsor a bunch of perfectly timed romantic elements.

Again, this is the kind of thing that'd need a couple of patrons or watchers to begin with, as you'd introduce the story, plug it, allow base votes to free folks, but give Patrons more power when they start to arrive, yanno?

Then again, that's a bit of work, and would require extensive planning, and there's danger of the fans/Patrons turning into a circle jerk of assholes running a plutocracy. Also, from a writing standpoint, it's a lot like running an RP, as with this sort of format, there's a lot of things you can do that you can't with a non-interactive piece of fiction.

All said, I do agree with Cirno's take as well, as there are definitely a lot of people who would pay to have you look over their stuff (whether or not they'd take feedback magnanimously is another thing...).

Oh, also Patrons of a certain pay-grade could have their own characters (Either characters they suggest, put together with you, or just wholesale created) put into the story, though you would do well to remind them that the characters, once they are introduced into the story, are beyond their control, and act according to the guidelines/to character traits you guys originally agreed upon.

Everyone likes seeing something they created being used by a talented writer or artist.

that said, this kind of reward would have to be somewhat limited, else you'd run the risk of oversaturating the story, or just increasing your workload to a silly degree.

Cheers. I'll keep all of that in mind.

I need to figure out some of the mechanics for linking content the account and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back