• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Partner search!

Phadia

Tomato Goddess
So, right off the bat, I will inform you that I prefer thread-based RP's. Will I refuse if you PM me? No, but I do prefer to do thread-based as that is how I started RPing in my early years.

I like dark things. I like to make up characters with tragic pasts, I like to have sadistic villains, and all-in-all, I just prefer more serious plots with darker themes.

I think it adds realism to a story, as opposed to having a fluffy-cutesie story about a magical purple bunny. <-Yeah, no.

On the flip-side, I like the occasional light-heartedness and comedy. I like some romantic elements and sweetness to my characters. I'm not ALL "doom and gloom".

Plot-twists rule! I love to make (I think) unexpected moves in a story, and it's cool if you do the same. Keeps things interesting. Plot twists are not a "must", however.

Literacy is important, but content is more important. I don't care if you make typos and whatnot, as long as the content is good (*whisper* I make typos, too! *gasp*)

I'm fairly active and I'd like it if you would be, too. I try and post AT LEAST twice a day, but I like to post more if I can.

I write as I write. I do not have a set of pre-made characters and settings. I make things up as they come to me. I don't mind if you do things differently, but I'd rather not have to read a 22 page explanation of your Tolkien-style universe and how your characters interact with it. If you can write that stuff, that's awesome! Write a novel! But I prefer to keep the settings in my RP's fairly open and flexible.

RPing, for me, is about TEAMWORK.
Like I said above, I don't want to be forced into your 22 page, already made-up world, and I will not dump you into mine. I like to leave things open, take suggestions from you, and give suggestions myself. We will develop things together as the story gets going.

Yeah, I wanna be leader. I like to start the RP. But guess what? It's about teamwork as I said above. I will happily join your RP, too, even if I prefer you to join mine. As long as we work together, it doesn't really matter who starts.

I don't have a list of exact RP's I want to try, because (as I said) I like to be spontaneous.

Things I WON'T RP (unless you give me a really damn good reason)

-Fandom (I'm not familiar with most of them. There's a few exceptions)

-High-school (I hated school when I was in it. Why would I write about it? X_X)

-Historical (This one is iffy. I'm not enough of a history buff to feel comfortable trying it out, but if you don't mind a bit of a noob...)

Good Ol' Favorites (These are some of the plot elements that I find myself coming back to)

-Gifted VS Hunter

-Fantasy/Sci-fi (this is vague, but I like a sort of fantasy/sci-fi cross)

-Mystery

-Light romance

...so yeah. That's about it. :P

Count me down as interested!

I would adore a mystery or fantasy/sci-fi roleplay. I got a few ideas in mind, but I'd love to hear your thoughts first.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Meta

At the moment, I don't have any plans. I'd probably just write up a random intro and we'd go from there. What are your ideas? I'd love to hear them. :)

I have a Sci-Fi Fantasy plot I was hoping to get started on! I'll paste the idea below.

Ever wonder about the future of medieval fantasies? Well my friend, you're looking at it. The world is not a peaceful, growing utopia. It is a dark, dystopian space age. Welcome to Hell.

Countless leaderships and revolutions have taken place since the days of noble Kings and Queens. After a long period of democracy and war, monarchy has made a strong return. However the Kingdom's rulers are not gentle folk. They do not strive for the good of the Kingdom. They are bloodthirsty dictators, armed with the technology of Gods.

From public executions to mass imprisonment, they rule with a titanium fist. Magic is a crime if you're peasantry, and anyone born with the gift of spell-casting will be killed on sight by Enforcement Knights unless they have proper licensing. The chances of having that though? Not a chance. What used to be a beautiful gift is now a means for death. Witch-hunts are common, and many of those accused of it's craft are burned alive.

While our leaders rule in their steel castle with countless guards, the city itself is littered with death and strife. Gangs fight for territories, offer flimsy protection for Gold Credits. Murder, kidnappings, and torture are everyday occurrences-- and unless you have the right friends, no one will ever care about your robbed, desecrated corpse.

Welcome to the Future, friend. Please enjoy your stay.

Well, there we go! My character would be the leader of a gang-- one fighting for hope and rebellion. I can write more about her if you're interested, but this is the general idea I have!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Meta

That sounds like a great plot! I think I could definitely work with that. Do you want to go ahead and start a thread? I'd love to jump in on that.

@Miss Meta

I might post a character bio soon, but if you have yours already, I'd love to read it.

@Ry814

The partner search is pretty much always open. :) But if you're referring to Miss Meta's thread, you'd have to ask her if you can join.

Phadia said:
@Miss Meta
I might post a character bio soon, but if you have yours already, I'd love to read it.

@Ry814

The partner search is pretty much always open. :) But if you're referring to Miss Meta's thread, you'd have to ask her if you can join.[/QUOT

I meant the search. I'm interested. Do you have any ideas?

Sorry. Messed that post up. I'm interested in starting an rp. Do you have any plot ideas?

So, right off the bat, I will inform you that I prefer thread-based RP's. Will I refuse if you PM me? No, but I do prefer to do thread-based as that is how I started RPing in my early years.

Hi, I'd like to RP with you!

I usually use PMs for 1x1, but that's a habit, not a preference.[/font

I like dark things. I like to make up characters with tragic pasts, I like to have sadistic villains, and all-in-all, I just prefer more serious plots with darker themes.

I think it adds realism to a story, as opposed to having a fluffy-cutesie story about a magical purple bunny. <-Yeah, no.

Thank you, I enjoy RPs like that too!

Although I haven't particularly found any RPs about a magical purple bunny. Eh.

I mean I would totally join if I did, just because. lmao

On the flip-side,
I like the occasional light-heartedness and comedy. I like some romantic elements and sweetness to my characters. I'm not ALL "doom and gloom".

Yeah, that's the perfect combination of settings and characters (*dark themes and occasional light-hearted stuff) to make your character bloom.

Plot-twists rule! I love to make (I think) unexpected moves in a story, and it's cool if you do the same. Keeps things interesting. Plot twists are not a "must", however.

I think for like an hour or more every day about plot twists :3

While this gets a little impractical in daily life, it's good for RPing and stuff, heh.

Literacy is important, but content is more important. I don't care if you make typos and whatnot, as long as the content is good (*whisper* I make typos, too! *gasp*)

*gasp~*

I'm fairly active and I'd like it if you would be, too. I try and post AT LEAST twice a day, but I like to post more if I can.

Agreed!

I write as I write. I do not have a set of pre-made characters and settings.
I make things up as they come to me. I don't mind if you do things differently, but I'd rather not have to read a 22 page explanation of your Tolkien-style universe and how your characters interact with it. If you can write that stuff, that's awesome! Write a novel! But I prefer to keep the settings in my RP's fairly open and flexible.

I usually don't have problems too much like that, besides premeditated plot twists lmao :3

RPing, for me, is about TEAMWORK.
Like I said above, I don't want to be forced into your 22 page, already made-up world, and I will not dump you into mine. I like to leave things open, take suggestions from you, and give suggestions myself. We will develop things together as the story gets going.

All RPs I've been in crumple apart without teamwork, so I've gotten into that mindset the hard way. xD

Yeah, I wanna be leader.
I like to start the RP. But guess what? It's about teamwork as I said above. I will happily join your RP, too, even if I prefer you to join mine. As long as we work together, it doesn't really matter who starts.

Doesn't really matter to me whose rp it is.

I don't have a list of exact RP's I want to try, because (as I said) I like to be spontaneous.

Things I WON'T RP (unless you give me a really damn good reason)

-Fandom (I'm not familiar with most of them. There's a few exceptions)

That's basically me

No idea about anything you people love
xD

-High-school (I hated school when I was in it. Why would I write about it? X_X)

My point exactly but it's extremely popular here...

-Historical (This one is iffy. I'm not enough of a history buff to feel comfortable trying it out, but if you don't mind a bit of a noob...)

If it doesn't have to be like extremely perfectly accurate, I'm ok with it.

Good Ol' Favorites (These are some of the plot elements that I find myself coming back to)

-Gifted VS Hunter

Ooh! I've tried that before! It was cool (:3)

-Fantasy/Sci-fi (this is vague, but I like a sort of fantasy/sci-fi cross)

That's always pretty cool

-Mystery

Maybe this would go even better with a mix of something else here.

-Light romance

Key word; Light. Good idea there xD

...so yeah. That's about it.
:P

This is how I respond to all things like this, so... yeah.

Sorry, heh ('
:| )

@Phadia

Hi there. I would be happy to discuss some ideas with you. I tend to lean toward slightly "darker" plots. Nothing consistently macabre, but I have a thing for believable villains. I think I'm pretty good at both conflict and resolution.

Anyway, I would be interested in either a gifted/hunter plot or a fantasy/sci-fi plot (although my sci-fi experience is admittedly very little). I play both male and female characters and I am more than capable of playing main as well as supporting characters.

Feel free to PM if you're interested

Wow! I honestly had no idea how popular this thread was going to be! I'm feeling like some sort of celebrity lol. :) Anywho, I would LOVE to RP with all of you guys.

Right now, I'm going through a serious case of writer's block. So if any of you would like to start a thread or PM me with an opening or idea, please do. I may be a little slow to respond, because on top of your replies, I also got like 3 or 4 other people asking to RP with me, and I'm engaged in two other RP's with a friend (not to mention that my "real life" keeps getting in the way).

So yeah.... feel free to PM me, link a thread, whatever. I may be slow, but I'll get back to you at some point.
:P Looking forward to writing with you all!

@
Ry814

@
The Departure

@
EmElisa

Hmm....

So, I'm having a dilemma here, mainly stemming from the vagueness of the phrase 'Literacy is important'.

Did you know that to some people, 'literate' means two words? It's an extremely vague term, and must be complimented with specifications of what you consider being 'literate'. Otherwise, all sorts of confusion will arise.

For me, semi-literacy is one paragraph per post with 6+ sentences. I don't do semi-literacy. Ever.

Literacy, in my case, is 5+ paragraphs per post, with the occasional exception of 3-4 paragraphs in the case of writer's block or another ailment. Paragraphs are 8+ sentences and are well-structured and organized. Important places, people, or items are described in extreme detail, such as a main character's bedroom or a description of the places they spend a lot of time at, a main character's face and clothing style, as well as items that they carry often. Less important places, people, or items are described, but may only be in moderate detail. This includes side characters and places that aren't important to the character's development, or items that are not often used by the characters. Obviously, grammatical errors should be limited, but it's okay if there are a few mistakes here and there. Basic grammar rules apply, although I do pardon for the rule involving a new paragraph being started for every new character's dialogue, as I recognize that it can be hard to make an 8+ sentence paragraph while following this rule if the main character and a side character are having a discussion.

That being said, I also believe in quality over quantity, but I do have standards for quantity as well, as were stated above.

If you believe you can meet those standards, I'd be pleased to roleplay with you. I generally focus on either slice of life (which I don't think you would enjoy, based on your post.) or plots that focus on humanity's faults vs. humanity's gifts. I think you would enjoy the second idea.

What I mean is, there's a character that represents one or two of humanity's major faults, such as arrogance, ignorance, vanity, etc. and another character that represents one of two of humanity's major gifts, such as intelligence, kindness, patience, etc. They come together in some sort of circumstance that tries to force out the best of the faulted character, and the worst of the gifted character.

If I had to give you a basic plot as an example, then I would use this:

Muse A (Gifted with Perseverance.) is framed for a crime they didn't commit. Falsely imprisoned for life after being blamed for murdering his own parents at the age of 19, Muse A is determined to get to the bottom of what really happened, but he can't do much from a jail cell, can he? Muse B (Faulted with Prejudice.) is a prison guard who is strongly biased in his belief that all criminals are terrible people. He does not believe in the idea that criminals could simply be people who made mistakes in their lives. As such, Muse B dislikes Muse A immensely, and upon being assigned to guard them, they insist that they are strictly there for business. However, Muse A's mentality is beginning to deteriorate as he starts to obsess over finding the person who really killed his parents, despite the limited options he has while in jail. Muse A's perseverance becomes a curse as they are incapable of keeping their minds off the case. The prison wardens and guards start believing he is crazy, but Muse B sees Muse A more often than any of the other guards, as he was assigned explicitly to him. Muse B notices that Muse A's addiction with the case has been getting worse and worse, and is starting to believe Muse A's desperate words when he insists he wasn't the one who committed the crime. With the line between sanity and insanity beginning to fade in Muse A's mind, Muse B is becoming curious and tries to investigate the case himself. Meanwhile, he has to keep Muse A sane long enough to bring the case to rest and struggles so keep his mentality intact while facing off against his own prejudice for Muse A, and risking his job as he delves deeper into the mystery.

We may use the above plot, or a different plot if you'd like something similar. I'm okay with either character, but I'd prefer to be Muse B. I'm not against playing Muse A, however.

Both are male, as of now. Muse A could be female if you play her, but I feel like Muse B should remain male. This isn't a romance.

This has gotten lengthy enough.

Etch~

Etch said:
Hmm....
So, I'm having a dilemma here, mainly stemming from the vagueness of the phrase 'Literacy is important'.

Did you know that to some people, 'literate' means two words? It's an extremely vague term, and must be complimented with specifications of what you consider being 'literate'. Otherwise, all sorts of confusion will arise.

For me, semi-literacy is one paragraph per post with 6+ sentences. I don't do semi-literacy. Ever.

Literacy, in my case, is 5+ paragraphs per post, with the occasional exception of 3-4 paragraphs in the case of writer's block or another ailment. Paragraphs are 8+ sentences and are well-structured and organized. Important places, people, or items are described in extreme detail, such as a main character's bedroom or a description of the places they spend a lot of time at, a main character's face and clothing style, as well as items that they carry often. Less important places, people, or items are described, but may only be in moderate detail. This includes side characters and places that aren't important to the character's development, or items that are not often used by the characters. Obviously, grammatical errors should be limited, but it's okay if there are a few mistakes here and there. Basic grammar rules apply, although I do pardon for the rule involving a new paragraph being started for every new character's dialogue, as I recognize that it can be hard to make an 8+ sentence paragraph while following this rule if the main character and a side character are having a discussion.

That being said, I also believe in quality over quantity, but I do have standards for quantity as well, as were stated above.

If you believe you can meet those standards, I'd be pleased to roleplay with you. I generally focus on either slice of life (which I don't think you would enjoy, based on your post.) or plots that focus on humanity's faults vs. humanity's gifts. I think you would enjoy the second idea.

What I mean is, there's a character that represents one or two of humanity's major faults, such as arrogance, ignorance, vanity, etc. and another character that represents one of two of humanity's major gifts, such as intelligence, kindness, patience, etc. They come together in some sort of circumstance that tries to force out the best of the faulted character, and the worst of the gifted character.

If I had to give you a basic plot as an example, then I would use this:

Muse A (Gifted with Perseverance.) is framed for a crime they didn't commit. Falsely imprisoned for life after being blamed for murdering his own parents at the age of 19, Muse A is determined to get to the bottom of what really happened, but he can't do much from a jail cell, can he? Muse B (Faulted with Prejudice.) is a prison guard who is strongly biased in his belief that all criminals are terrible people. He does not believe in the idea that criminals could simply be people who made mistakes in their lives. As such, Muse B dislikes Muse A immensely, and upon being assigned to guard them, they insist that they are strictly there for business. However, Muse A's mentality is beginning to deteriorate as he starts to obsess over finding the person who really killed his parents, despite the limited options he has while in jail. Muse A's perseverance becomes a curse as they are incapable of keeping their minds off the case. The prison wardens and guards start believing he is crazy, but Muse B sees Muse A more often than any of the other guards, as he was assigned explicitly to him. Muse B notices that Muse A's addiction with the case has been getting worse and worse, and is starting to believe Muse A's desperate words when he insists he wasn't the one who committed the crime. With the line between sanity and insanity beginning to fade in Muse A's mind, Muse B is becoming curious and tries to investigate the case himself. Meanwhile, he has to keep Muse A sane long enough to bring the case to rest and struggles so keep his mentality intact while facing off against his own prejudice for Muse A, and risking his job as he delves deeper into the mystery.

We may use the above plot, or a different plot if you'd like something similar. I'm okay with either character, but I'd prefer to be Muse B. I'm not against playing Muse A, however.

Both are male, as of now. Muse A could be female if you play her, but I feel like Muse B should remain male. This isn't a romance.

This has gotten lengthy enough.

Etch~

You know this thread was really old, right...? :o I'm not really even looking anymore. Thanks, though.

Well, that's mildly embarrassing.

No, I wasn't aware. I should check the dates more often. Forgive me for that. Err....Well, yeah.

*Walks away awkwardly*

Etch said:
Well, that's mildly embarrassing.
No, I wasn't aware. I should check the dates more often. Forgive me for that. Err....Well, yeah.

*Walks away awkwardly*
That's okay, man (girl? Person...?). ^^ I posted this back when I first joined, and my interests have changed quite a bit since then anyway. Maybe we could still do something if you wanted...? I mean, I'm pretty active in other things right now, but feel free to stalk me or whatever. :P

*Stops walking away, turns around, and does the cupid shuffle for 5 seconds, before returning to awkwardly standing there, shifting weight from one foot to the other.*

Er, girl. But I'm a tomboy of sorts, except I'm socially awkward and I don't entirely hate earrings. I don't really go for dresses and make-up though. I'm fine with a t-shirt and jeans. So, please, no dresses.

I prefer to avoid stalking people. It leads to a lot of legal problems, usually ending with me in jail. And I'd like to stay out of jail for as long as possible, please. I'd also like to stay out of the asylum, although I probably belong there.

By 'something' I assume you mean a role play. I'd be happy to take you up on that, if you're not too busy. How have your interests changed? Depending, I may be able to adapt to them.

Although, like I said in my earlier post, I do have length requirements. If you've been busy lately, will you be able to keep up with that?

I can give you an example of what kind of posts I'd be giving if you like. It's not too difficult to copy and paste shit from one thread to another.

Maybe we should move this to PMs though? For the sake of keeping the thread tidy? Err, actually, I suppose that's not necessary since this thread isn't really being used anymore.....*Scratches head awkwardly*

Oh well.

Etch said:
*Stops walking away, turns around, and does the cupid shuffle for 5 seconds, before returning to awkwardly standing there, shifting weight from one foot to the other.*
Er, girl. But I'm a tomboy of sorts, except I'm socially awkward and I don't entirely hate earrings. I don't really go for dresses and make-up though. I'm fine with a t-shirt and jeans. So, please, no dresses.

I prefer to avoid stalking people. It leads to a lot of legal problems, usually ending with me in jail. And I'd like to stay out of jail for as long as possible, please. I'd also like to stay out of the asylum, although I probably belong there.

By 'something' I assume you mean a role play. I'd be happy to take you up on that, if you're not too busy. How have your interests changed? Depending, I may be able to adapt to them.

Although, like I said in my earlier post, I do have length requirements. If you've been busy lately, will you be able to keep up with that?

I can give you an example of what kind of posts I'd be giving if you like. It's not too difficult to copy and paste shit from one thread to another.

Maybe we should move this to PMs though? For the sake of keeping the thread tidy? Err, actually, I suppose that's not necessary since this thread isn't really being used anymore.....*Scratches head awkwardly*

Oh well.
We can keep chatting here, or move to a PM. I don't really mind either way.

A sample would be nice, because then I can at least see what's required before committing to anything.

I really like your plot idea of the prisoner and the guard, but I also don't think I'm as detailed (normally) as you would like. I could probably manage it (I'm making an assumption here, without seeing the sample), but what I find difficult is making detailed posts while two characters are having a conversation. There's very little one can describe while simply talking to someone...

As for my interests changing, I'm just a lot more open to plot ideas than I was before. I'll try things (slice of life) for example, that I wouldn't have tried a few months ago.

This is a sample from my new RP.

There is a time for everything; a time to be
Ecclesiastes 3:2
born and a time to die.

"10..." Lynn glanced over at the clock.

"9..." Right on time.

"8..." A firework boomed nearby.

"7..." Followed by another.

"6..." And another.

"5..." She picked up her glass of Italian soda.

"4..." Raised it to the others nearby.

"3..." Clang!

"2..." A toast....

"1..." ...to a wonderful year.

The cheers were deafening. A fitting welcome for the year 2017.

With so many technological advances at the end of 2016, 2017 was bound to be amazing. What had really set 2016 apart, however, was the new Virtual Reality implants.

It was so tiny. A small little microchip that one could have implanted in their brain. Sounds scary, or at least that's what Lynn had originally thought. Yet, after it's release in mid-August, it quickly topped the charts. Everyone was getting one! Virtual Reality soon took the place of "real life" so to speak, with "virtual jobs" becoming one of the tops most used Virtual Reality applications. Even newborns were being implanted with the device.

One could have a virtual job, virtual pet, virtual house- if it's in your imagination, it's been made into an application.

The best thing about the implant, was that it was not only virtual reality for the eyes, but the other senses as well.

Too cold? Use a virtual blanket.

Too hot? Flip the switch and your virtual air conditioner is here.

Poverty rates had gone down dramatically, and crime was almost eliminated completely. Why steal, when you can make it real? Even obesity rates had dropped. With virtual snacks, who needs real junk?

Though, the implants were not without fault.

The "switch" to turn off the VR would sometimes jam for a up to a few hours. People even reported severe headaches, extreme fatigue, and even more serious complications like seizures.

Lynn hadn't experienced any of these herself, but she did occasionally have a minor "switch jam", or mild headache from periods of overuse. After all, virtual reality was never meant to replace the real thing. Everyone needs a break from time to time.

The cheering was getting louder now, and the fireworks were rumbling constantly. Lynn sighed, deciding the "VR New Year's Countdown Party" app had been running long enough, and flipped the switch.

Nothing.

Switch jam again.

Lynn wasn't really surprised. It was time to get a new switch anyway. Yet, she couldn't help but be mildly... put off. This jam was lasting a lot longer than normal. She'd expected to be back in her bedroom any minute, but instead, the scene of the New Year's party remained frozen in her field of vision.

C'mon! I have to go to school tomorrow. I need to get to bed!

She flicked the switch again.

Still, nothing.

The cheering in the background had become a deafening cacophony, and Lynn realized with a brief flash of alarm, that the cheering wasn't... well, cheering anymore.

It sounded more like screaming. Panicked masses of people screaming in terror.

Huh? That's not right... The app must be malfunctioning.

Lynn reached for the panic button around her neck. Similar to pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del on a computer keyboard, the panic button would force the app to shutdown in the event of an emergency.

She pressed the button with a hollow sounding
click.

The picture flashed off almost immediately, leaving Lynn in the dark. She raised a hand to her face, instinctively squinting in the darkness. Nothing. Even the switch and panic button had disappeared.

This... this isn't right! My switch...I must have dropped it! No, that's not right either. The panic button was around my neck. There's no way...

Confused and scared, Lynn tried walking forward, reaching out blindly. She could still feel the floor beneath her feet, but her hands flailed around uselessly in the air, grabbing onto nothing.

Then, in one terrifying sensation, the floor vanished from underneath her, plunging her into a blind free-fall.

She tried to cry out, but her sense of hearing must have malfunctioned as well, leaving her falling silently.

Down, down, down, down...

She felt her body twisting in the air, and she tried to grab onto something, anything to stop her fall, but it was no use.

She wasn't even sure which way was up at this point.

It's not real. It's not real. It's not real. It's just a glitch!

All she could do was keep thinking the same thoughts over and over as she wondered when the fall would finally come to a end.

Then it did just that.

Pain. It was the first sensation she noticed. Her hearing popped back on at the same time the earth came to a gut wrenching halt.

She felt like a squashed bug, pressed onto an uneven pavement, something cold seeping up from underneath her clothes.

Lynn tried to move. To open her eyes. Anything to know that she was still alive.

"... help..." she managed to choke out a single word, though it was barely more than a whisper.

This is probably the level of detail that I would normally do. I mean, I could probably push myself to do more, but I generally keep things like this or less. RPN is a hobby for me- the real stuff gets saved for my novel (that may or may not ever be finished).

[QUOTE="Aithen the Kindled]Hey Phadia, just hit me up if you're in need of a Fantasy RP ^^

[/QUOTE]
For sure. :D Did you have anything in mind...? Geez, this interest check is as old as dirt, but I wouldn't mind at least seeing what you have planned.

Phadia said:
We can keep chatting here, or move to a PM. I don't really mind either way.
A sample would be nice, because then I can at least see what's required before committing to anything.

I really like your plot idea of the prisoner and the guard, but I also don't think I'm as detailed (normally) as you would like. I could probably manage it (I'm making an assumption here, without seeing the sample), but what I find difficult is making detailed posts while two characters are having a conversation. There's very little one can describe while simply talking to someone...

As for my interests changing, I'm just a lot more open to plot ideas than I was before. I'll try things (slice of life) for example, that I wouldn't have tried a few months ago.

This is a sample from my new RP.

There is a time for everything; a time to be
born and a time to die.

"10..." Lynn glanced over at the clock.

"9..." Right on time.

"8..." A firework boomed nearby.

"7..." Followed by another.

"6..." And another.

"5..." She picked up her glass of Italian soda.

"4..." Raised it to the others nearby.

"3..." Clang!

"2..." A toast....

"1..." ...to a wonderful year.

The cheers were deafening. A fitting welcome for the year 2017.

With so many technological advances at the end of 2016, 2017 was bound to be amazing. What had really set 2016 apart, however, was the new Virtual Reality implants.

It was so tiny. A small little microchip that one could have implanted in their brain. Sounds scary, or at least that's what Lynn had originally thought. Yet, after it's release in mid-August, it quickly topped the charts. Everyone was getting one! Virtual Reality soon took the place of "real life" so to speak, with "virtual jobs" becoming one of the tops most used Virtual Reality applications. Even newborns were being implanted with the device.

One could have a virtual job, virtual pet, virtual house- if it's in your imagination, it's been made into an application.

The best thing about the implant, was that it was not only virtual reality for the eyes, but the other senses as well.

Too cold? Use a virtual blanket.

Too hot? Flip the switch and your virtual air conditioner is here.

Poverty rates had gone down dramatically, and crime was almost eliminated completely. Why steal, when you can make it real? Even obesity rates had dropped. With virtual snacks, who needs real junk?

Though, the implants were not without fault.

The "switch" to turn off the VR would sometimes jam for a up to a few hours. People even reported severe headaches, extreme fatigue, and even more serious complications like seizures.

Lynn hadn't experienced any of these herself, but she did occasionally have a minor "switch jam", or mild headache from periods of overuse. After all, virtual reality was never meant to replace the real thing. Everyone needs a break from time to time.

The cheering was getting louder now, and the fireworks were rumbling constantly. Lynn sighed, deciding the "VR New Year's Countdown Party" app had been running long enough, and flipped the switch.

Nothing.

Switch jam again.

Lynn wasn't really surprised. It was time to get a new switch anyway. Yet, she couldn't help but be mildly... put off. This jam was lasting a lot longer than normal. She'd expected to be back in her bedroom any minute, but instead, the scene of the New Year's party remained frozen in her field of vision.

C'mon! I have to go to school tomorrow. I need to get to bed!

She flicked the switch again.

Still, nothing.

The cheering in the background had become a deafening cacophony, and Lynn realized with a brief flash of alarm, that the cheering wasn't... well, cheering anymore.

It sounded more like screaming. Panicked masses of people screaming in terror.

Huh? That's not right... The app must be malfunctioning.

Lynn reached for the panic button around her neck. Similar to pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del on a computer keyboard, the panic button would force the app to shutdown in the event of an emergency.

She pressed the button with a hollow sounding
click.

The picture flashed off almost immediately, leaving Lynn in the dark. She raised a hand to her face, instinctively squinting in the darkness. Nothing. Even the switch and panic button had disappeared.

This... this isn't right! My switch...I must have dropped it! No, that's not right either. The panic button was around my neck. There's no way...

Confused and scared, Lynn tried walking forward, reaching out blindly. She could still feel the floor beneath her feet, but her hands flailed around uselessly in the air, grabbing onto nothing.

Then, in one terrifying sensation, the floor vanished from underneath her, plunging her into a blind free-fall.

She tried to cry out, but her sense of hearing must have malfunctioned as well, leaving her falling silently.

Down, down, down, down...

She felt her body twisting in the air, and she tried to grab onto something, anything to stop her fall, but it was no use.

She wasn't even sure which way was up at this point.

It's not real. It's not real. It's not real. It's just a glitch!

All she could do was keep thinking the same thoughts over and over as she wondered when the fall would finally come to a end.

Then it did just that.

Pain. It was the first sensation she noticed. Her hearing popped back on at the same time the earth came to a gut wrenching halt.

She felt like a squashed bug, pressed onto an uneven pavement, something cold seeping up from underneath her clothes.

Lynn tried to move. To open her eyes. Anything to know that she was still alive.

"... help..." she managed to choke out a single word, though it was barely more than a whisper.

This is probably the level of detail that I would normally do. I mean, I could probably push myself to do more, but I generally keep things like this or less. RPN is a hobby for me- the real stuff gets saved for my novel (that may or may not ever be finished).

For sure. :D Did you have anything in mind...? Geez, this interest check is as old as dirt, but I wouldn't mind at least seeing what you have planned.
Well, I can't really use my traditional method of judging literacy with this post because it's not formatted in paragraphs, but I can say that to me, it seems adequate. I do use an entirely different formatting for my posts, though, so you will notice this almost immediately. I have no problem working with someone who writes in your format, though. If you can provide that level of detail for all your posts, we should be fine. I'm going to show you two samples for me, because one is an example of some of my best work, and the other is an example of my average work, the kind of thing you'd be seeing on a regular basis. They're both starters, and they're both in the slice of life genre. Also, if you're interested in the first starter I'll show you (The one that I labelled as my best work.) then I'm still open to doing role plays with the same plot, although I'd have to copy and paste the rest of the details involving my character and the actual plot for you to see. If you like the prisoner x guard roleplay I showed you better though, then that's fine, too.

"...Crosses all over, heavy on your shoulders..." The soft music played quietly in Ryan's ears, the sound whispering from his headphones. "....The sirens inside you waiting to step forward..." The lyrics hardly registered in his mind, the tune quiet enough so that it didn't penetrate his thoughts, but loud enough to accompany them. Even through the music, he could clearly hear the rustling of the wind in the trees of the school campus, and was only disrupted by the loud, obnoxious voices of the other students at Cheney High School as they flooded out of the building, talking with groups of friends and laughing aloud, with no concern for the peace of the birds who sat in the trees above, the fluttering sound of their wings drowned out by the school bell as they fled from their perches, startled by the sudden rush of activity in the courtyard. Ryan grimaced at the increased volume of the area, unable to hear his music anymore as school was officially over for the day. He sighed, pulling his phone out of his pocket and turning his music off, moving his headphones from his ears to his neck.

Ryan had gotten out of school five minutes earlier than the rest of the student body today, mainly as a result of the fact that he had been called down to the student council room ten minutes before class ended officially. His teacher decided to have him just go ahead and pack his things before heading down there, so he didn't have to return to the classroom after school had already ended. Ryan was the treasurer on the student council, which was somewhat ironic considering the fact that his worst subject was math. Even still, he was great at his job, because even in his worst subject he excelled above most other students. There was a reason he was in all advanced classes. Either way, it turned out he had just forgotten his calculator and the vice president wanted to return it to him before school ended. So, he had an extra five minutes to wait for one of the few people in his school he could stand and his best friend, Kelsie Lilac. He had been waiting at the front entrance of the school building, leaning against the brick wall in the front of the building, enjoying the peaceful bliss of the courtyard. Well, that moment was over now.

He scanned the crowd of students that stampeded out of the building like wild rhinos for Kelsie's gentle expression and smooth blond hair. It wasn't long before he spotted her, and she spotted him soon after, his grey eyes meeting her blue ones for a moment, before she made her way through the crowd to reach him, finally arriving at his side, hugging a pile of books to her chest. Kelsie was a Catholic, and while she wasn't a Christian or a Pacifist like Ryan, she understood him better than anyone else seemed to. He'd known her since 9th grade, but it felt like so much longer. She smiled sweetly at him, and neither of them noticed the hint of red that appeared on Ryan's cheeks in response. "You ready to go?" Kelsie asked, receiving a curt nod from Ryan in response. Kelsie and Ryan lived in the same neighborhood, so they usually walked home together after school. Kelsie was more talkative than Ryan, but she was gentle, kind, and understanding. Usually, their conversations consisted of Kelsie talking, and Ryan agreeing or nodding his head occasionally, only really talking when Kelsie asked a question, which she did quite often. The only reason their relationship really worked was because Kelsie spoke in a quiet, soft tone that Ryan's sensitive ears were accustomed to. As a concept, Ryan had no problem with listening to other people talk, or even contributing something of his own if he had something to contribute, but his overly sensitive ears and the usual loud tones of those his age conflicted, preventing him from enjoying conversation. He wasn't really sure why his ears were so sensitive, but they'd been that way since he was an infant.

Kelsie began to walk, a slight skip in her step as she had to slow herself to Ryan's pace. "So, Ryan, wasn't today the day you were supposed to meet your new sibling?" Kelsie asked calmly. She had a unique way of talking quietly and expressing her excitement at the same time that most teenagers did not possess. Ryan nodded, facing the sidewalk ahead of them as they stepped off of school grounds and onto the side of the street. "Weeeeell.....?" She asked, drawing out the vowel for emphasis. He turned to her, his expression calm and tranquil. "Well, what?" He asked, his voice quiet and gentle, but more blunt than Kelsie's tone. She sighed softly, "Well, aren't you excited at all?" She asked, walking on the curb of the sidewalk, holding out her arms so she could balance better, placing one foot in front of the other. Ryan nodded in response, before telling her, "I am, it's just...." He paused, trying to find the right word. After a while, he turned back to face the sidewalk ahead of them, giving up on finding an appropriate description.

"It's just what?" She asked, her expression growing concerned. Ryan responded with the first word that came to mind, although it wasn't a very good description, "It's different." He said, halting as they arrived in front of her house. It wasn't even 5 minutes from the school, but his house was a little ways further. Kelsie realized that her time to talk to him was up, and stopped walking as well, standing beside him for an awkward moment, before she said, "Alright, well, let me know how it all goes down tomorrow. I'm always here to talk." The concern in her voice was evident as she placed a hand on the gate to her front yard. "Sure." Ryan replied, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. Goodbyes had gotten more awkward between them ever since last week when he told her about his parents adopting a new little sibling, but he wasn't sure why. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that she was adopted herself. She slipped through the gate and ran down her front yard to the door, disappearing into the house with nothing more than a goodbye wave to mark their parting. Ryan sighed, heading on down the street.

Ryan had no idea what his new sibling was like, even though his parents had been talking about them for the better part of a week. Admittedly, this was mostly because he didn't pay much attention. He wasn't exactly sure how he felt about the idea of suddenly having a younger sibling. He'd been an only child for as long as he could remember. He hoped that meeting them would quell his concerns, but in truth, he doubted it. He was afraid that this new change would disrupt the peaceful life he'd had until now. He sighed when he realized he was in front of his house. When he got inside, his parents would likely be showing his new younger sibling around the home, and it'd be then that he'd meet this new person that would change his life....for the better, or the worse. And he still had a lot of studying to do, on top of that.

Sighing, he approached his front door and pulled his house keys out of the side pocket of his school bag, unlocking the door and opening it, not sure what to expect. As he stepped inside, closing and locking the door behind him, he was greeted by an empty, quiet living room. Well, quiet other than the excited, muffled voices of his parents coming from upstairs. They were likely showing off the new bedroom they had arranged in preparation for his sibling's arrival. While most people would call through the house to let their parents know they were home, Ryan's ears would've been affected by the noise, even if it came from his own mouth. So, he started walking up the stairs, arriving in a hallway with two doors on the left and one door on the right. On the right, was his new sibling's bedroom, and on the left was his bedroom and the upstairs bathroom. He set his school bag and books down beside the door to his bedroom in an orderly fashion, planning on taking them in later, and approached the door on the right, where the voices were coming from. He knocked on the door so he wouldn't startle his parents, before opening the door wide enough to slip in.

"I'm home."
"Mom, I told you, I don't want any kind of tutor! I was happy with my teachers and friends at school!" Sylio insisted, carrying a cardboard box that covered his face across the empty kitchen. It had only been three days since they had moved, and they were still unpacking. Pretty much all they had unpacked at the moment was large furniture like tables, chairs, and beds. Any decorations or personal items that weren't essential to everyday life were still in boxes, like the one he was carrying now. He entered the living room, where his mom was unpacking a box filled with books to put on the bookshelves. She had straight brown hair that reached down to her shoulders and amber eyes that matched that of Sylio's. She was only in her mid 30's, but she appeared several years older than she was, a result of the stress she'd been living under after her husband died in an accident at work directly after the birth of their third child, Erica, 8 years ago. Her husband had been a hard-working man who managed somehow to spend time with his family despite working the night shift at a factory making cars for Ford. That was before something went wrong and he made a mistake that cost him his life, that is. Now, he rested peacefully in a cemetery near their old home in La Grange.

Sylio set the box down near the wall, where another four boxes were lined up as well, waiting to be unpacked. Sylio sat down near the box his mom was unpacking and began to pull out books as well, placing them on the shelf in a random order, whereas his mom organized them alphabetically. What with his Dyslexia, Sylio couldn't read the titles and wasn't even aware of how she was arranging them. His mom sighed, but said nothing, likely deciding to rearrange them later herself. Even though Sylio was upset with his mother, he knew she worked hard for the family and in truth he was aware that he was being selfish, and it would have been easier for him to accept if he could at least go to another school so that he could make new friends. Yet, here he was, helping pack while waiting for some personal tutor to arrive at the door any minute now. There were no basketball teams that he could participate in unless he was in school, either. "Sylio, I understand that you're upset, but I think that having a personal tutor will help you in your studies. Your teachers weren't able to give you the attention you needed in school because they had so many other students to attend to. You're a smart kid, and you excel at history and science, but reading and writing are essential skills that you must learn, even with your Dyslexia. And, honestly, you could use help with Math as well."

"I told you, mom, the numbers get all jumbled up and they turn upside down; I don't have a problem with math when I can see the numbers." Sylio insisted, causing his mom to frown, the creases on her face moving as she changed her expression. "Dyslexia doesn't affect math, honey. We've been over this." His mom replied patiently. Before the move, they had been arguing about his math abilities, and directly after the move, they'd started arguing about the tutor. Now they were arguing about both. "It does!" He insisted, "Just look it up!" Sylio said, putting the task of putting the books away on hold. Suddenly, a younger, more childish voice yelled from the other room, "Come on, Iris! Open the door! I just wanna play!" The voice shouted. Another, muffled voice came from through a door, sounding like an older teenager who was very, very annoyed. "Shut up, Erica! I'm on the phone!" It shouted, causing the younger voice to reply back, "You're always on the phone, Iris!"

Both Sylio and his mom sighed simultaneously. "Sylio, honey, could you please go play with Erica until the tutor gets here? And tell Iris that I said to help unpack." His mom asked, the argument immediately defused. Sylio nodded in response, heading to the source of the commotion. His 8-year-old kid sister, Erica, was leaning against a closed door with a dejected look on her face, while muffled conversation ensued behind the closed door. Erica jumped up when she saw Sylio, shouting excitedly, "Brother!" She ran up to him and hugged onto his leg. "Can you read me a book?" She asked, looking up at him eagerly. Erica knew that Sylio had Dyslexia, but she hadn't seemed to catch on to what that meant yet. Sylio smiled, patiently shaking his head. "No, I can't read you a book, but I can show you some cool basketball tricks!" He replied, causing her to clap her hands. "Yeah! Basketball tricks!" She cheering gleefully. Sylio smiled. His mom had unpacked the hoop yesterday, and he'd been dying to get a chance to try it out all morning. "Alright, go wait for me in the backyard, okay? I'll be out soon!" He said, and Erica nodded, running towards the back door. Sylio turned back to the closed door, knocking on it. "Iris, mom wants help unpacking!" He called through the door, resulting in an audible groan from inside before he ran off to go get his basketball from the garage.

Sylio met Erica in the fenced in backyard with his basketball in tow, having taken off the hoodie he usually wore to reveal a dark gray T-shirt with the head of a white serpent on it, having put his hoodie on the steps of the deck. A small concrete patio was out in the back with a basketball hoop nailed to the ground and plenty of space to run around in, but not enough room for an actual game. At least if he had any friends, he could have brought over three or four of them and fooled around for a bit, though. Unfortunately, they'd already checked and there weren't any kids his age in the neighborhood, and being unable to go to school anymore pretty much confined him to stay at home for the next year. "Alright, Erica, watch this!" Sylio said excitedly, dribbling the basketball a few times before performing a perfect slam-dunk on the hoop, causing Erica to grin gleefully and clap her hands in excitement.

@Etch

I had really only included the "literacy rule" in this interest check, because the previous website that I was on had a TON of people posting godawful (mostly)one-liners and calling it a RP.

No word of a lie it would be something like:

Randomuser1: chek it out dued! I canfly!

Randomuser2: omg serious thats so cool! 8tries to fly but fails*

Randomuser1: no, u cant fly becuz i am a superhuman demi god immortal flying poo on a stick from outerspaces. i win

This type of writing makes me cringe. I get that it can be funny sometimes, but these people were dead serious about RPing in this format. Also, the subject matter was really... *shudder* Yeah, let's just say that the forum was full of a whole bunch of raging hormonal filled, self-harming, emo teens. Yeah... no.

I wasn't very familiar with this site when I posted this interest check, so I was expecting there to be at least on group of people like the above. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that most people on here are nothing like that. :)

Anyway, with regards to RPing with you, at the moment I probably can't commit to such a lengthy RP. I thought that I might, but upon seeing your samples, I probably just don't have the chance.

I think you're good and writing, and I like your ideas, but with my tight schedule, I really need something a little lighter.

Unless you're alright with only getting one post a day from me. xD Because that's about all that I'd be able to pump out at that level.

Hey, I'm used to getting a post every week sometimes when people are busy. It's cool. I appreciate timely responses, but they're not a requirement.

So, as it happens, I'm relatively new to this site, as well, and so...Well, the first site I ever roleplayed on was extremely literate but very inactive. Only 5-10 members were active regularly. At night, you'd often find that there were zero people online. Don't get me wrong, it holds a special place in my heart because it's the origin of when I started role playing, but...Well, I eventually started joining other sites to make up for the inactivity, and I found the same problem you did. Especially on a site known as 'Quotev'. While not primarily a roleplay site, the majority of the people there do roleplay, if you can call it that. More like.....texting with benefits.....

And, so, I'm pleased to hear from a member that most of the people on this site are not like that. From my experience so far, a site that is extremely active, will also have illiterate folks mingling with the literates. Not to mention jerks, haters, playboys, spammers, banshee children, etc. The drama just never ends, does it? *Sigh*

Anyways, I hope that what you say is true, because it almost sounds like a dream to me. As in, I'd given up on a peaceful community that was also active and had many literate members.

Also, it's worth noting that my replies are adjustable based on what I'm given. I'm willing to work with you here because I also like your writing. From what little I've seen, your style is creatively detailed while still suppressing the length so you don't have to read nearly as much, and still get the same experience. I wish I had the kind of talent that's required to say the same thing someone else had to write 5 paragraphs to say and be able to say the same thing in one or two sentences. It's impressive, and I like it. I struggle with writing too much. You have no such issue.

I'd like to engage in a role play with you, even if your replies are sparse or limited. It'd be an honor to work with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back