• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Paragons of Tomorrow: OOC

P
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

links

AtlannianSpy

Alarmed and Strangerous
This is the OOC thread for Paragons of Tomorrow, come here if you have any questions or just want to discuss the RP or get to know people. In short order we'll have a discord server which is probably where most discussion will take place but this thread will remain up as a more permanent and visible forum for discussion.

AtlannianSpy AtlannianSpy

So I'm making my character and I've ran into something I'd like some input on.

This character has super-strength and a few other abilities, however these powers aren't always available. They have a limited amount of energy they can draw on and once exhausted they lose their powers. How would be best to represent that in the abilities section and how would that reflect points wise?

Also, I think you might have done your calculations wrong for ability points. The description says Hazard 1 Ranks (1-10) = 1 Point, and Hazard 2 Ranks (11-20) = 2 Points. This should look like...

8 = 8 pts
9 = 9 pts
10 = 10 pts
11 = 12 pts
12 = 14 pts
13 = 16 pts

But the math you've given us says something different. It says Hazard 1 Rank (1-10) = 1 Point, but Hazard 2 Rank (1-20) = 2 Points. This looks like...

Hazard 1
8 = 8 pts
9 = 9 pts
10 = 10 pts
11 = NA
12 = NA
13 = NA

Hazard 2
8 = 16 pts
9 = 18 pts
10 = 20 pts
11 = 22 pts
12 = 24 pts
13 = 26 pts

Which one should we be calculating with?

Last edited:
errm, so neither of those are quite right.

The cost of an ability doesn't change based on the Character's rank, an ability always costs the same no matter who takes it.

but an ability's cost is multiplied by the hazard rank needed to take it. A level 10 ability can be acquire by someone with a hazard rank of 1, so its cost is multiplied by 1 and remains at 10. To go to 11 though would require a hazard rank of at least 2, so its cost is multiplied by 2 and ends up at 22, resulting in a big jump in price. once you've got to eleven though you only have to pay 2 points at a time to get to 12, 13 and so on until 21 when the next big jump happens.

These jumps are intentional, to make the transition between hazard ranks feel more significant narratively and you'll be awarded bonus experience at certain key narrative junctures to help subsidize that price jump.

There's been a bit of confusion about this point from a couple of people so I'm not entirely averse to changing how the math works at some point, but I want to at least test it out the way it is first to see if it how it goes.

So I'm making my character and I've ran into something I'd like some input on.

This character has super-strength and a few other abilities, however these powers aren't always available. They have a limited amount of energy they can draw on and once exhausted they lose their powers. How would be best to represent that in the abilities section and how would that reflect points wise?
whoops I never did answer the first part of this did I?

Anyways what we will probably have you do is just make a note of this in the description of each ability it applies to. Then we'll take that into effect when determining what rank those abilities will be. It's hard to come up with a precise number without getting into more detail about how much of a limiting factor you want this to be, I think the easiest thing will honestly be if you just whip up a quick character sheet that roughly reflects what you think it should look like and then we could tweak it from there.

Another idea would be to have these powers draw directly from your character's mind or body ability, whichever would be more appropriate thematically. That would give you an elegant way to improve your energy pool over time by simply increasing either mind or body, either of which obviously has other important benefits. This option might not be thematically appropriate for what you have in mind since I don't really have a good image yet but I though it was worth bringing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back