• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic ParaCom: Adversary Uncertain

DerUbermensch

Nietzsche reader
The gist of it:

ParaCom: Adversary Uncertain takes place in the near future, in which the paranormal forces invade and assault our realm. As a result of the attack, the UN formed the first and last line of defense against the aggressors. ParaCom was organized, standing for Paranormal Combat and acting as a shield for every site where enemy activity takes place. The game puts the players as members of the elite multinational paramilitary organization and tasked with defending mankind. Advanced technology will be developed to help defend against the threat and even some enemy abilities and weapons will be reverse engineered to be used against them.

The GM sends the troops to the field in a series of tactical missions; between missions, the GM directs the research and development of new technologies from recovered paranormal technology and captured prisoners, expands the base of operations, manages the finances, and monitors and responds to alien activity. The majority of operations will take place across the world, with semi-random picking of the countries. Once interest is gathered, I will make a character area and an OOC for it.

How it all started:

December 31st, Year 2020 was the start of the war between the normal and the paranormal. Just as the western world was celebrating the eve of the new year, they attacked. During Times Square's annual ball drop and while shouts of “Happy New Year” echoed the area, the attacks commenced! The civilians of New York City were absolutely in shock and awe, due to the holiday letting the guard down. Unbeknownst to the supernatural forces, humanity would retaliate after a reeling assault. The armed forces across the world defended their nations from the attacks happening across the globe. However, despite dealing some damage to the enemy forces, they kept coming. Not even nuclear weapons stopped the otherworldly enemies in their tracks.

After grueling defeats in the name of species preservation, the UN realized that alone the nations cannot stop the threat. On August 1st, 2021, humanity formed a new line of defense. The elite, multinational, paramilitary team known as ParaCom was formed to act as the specialized line of defense against this threat. Thanks to heavy investments from the UN and all monetary sources, ParaCom has access to the top notch technology, science, engineers, and soldiers. The fate of mankind rests in their hands.

TLDR version = XCOM: Enemy Unknown but with paranormal supernatural elements instead of aliens.

Also, when it comes to the boring parts, I will take responsibility. Keep in mind that I recycle and adapt from the game. Last, but certainly not least, if there are any questions, I will be more than just happy to answer them.

I'd be reluctant to join without a supporting system - it's not XCOM if you don't run the risk of dying in stupid, unfair circumstances (looking at you, Thin Men, you shitlords).

But it seems like a really fun idea with plenty of potential, so I'll probably be watching.

Grey said:
I'd be reluctant to join without a supporting system - it's not XCOM if you don't run the risk of dying in stupid, unfair circumstances (looking at you, Thin Men, you shitlords).
But it seems like a really fun idea with plenty of potential, so I'll probably be watching.
Oh...anyone can die by the way. I also have some tools and mechanics in mind.

Alright, once this catches on, I will make a character area and OOC thread.

Grey said:
Do you mind sharing some info on the tools and mechanics in mind?
Cover and aim are two of the most important mechanics. Point blank shots are 100% hits for certain. Whether you hit or miss will be decided on factors such as enemy defense and your offense, with some enemies being hard to hit and others easier. Low cover has 15% reduction of hit probability while high cover yields 30% reduction. Also, the players may vote on what continent they want to have as their main base area. Each continent will have different perks to them, such as North America giving better weapons to Asia having faster research for example. Missions include search and destroy and will include boss battles.

I have a lot to yield, so if you need any more info, give me a PM because I can discuss all time long.

I have recently started a Long War campaign so my XCOM-ness is at all time high.

"Remember I will be watching (this thread)."

Excellent. I look forward to seeing the progress. I am also confident that the RP will be handled with discretion.

Some more XCOM references.

KaldorDraigo said:
I have recently started a Long War campaign so my XCOM-ness is at all time high.
"Remember I will be watching (this thread)."
Shouldn't you be in the Warp, being the worst thing in 40k?

This is tongue in cheek. I am just joking around with you. I hate that this disclaimer has come to feel necessary
Anyway, Uber - I may join, dependent on time, other signups, and any further info released.

Later on today, I will make OOC, Character, and Miscellaneous pages as needed.

I found out they are automatically made. The official thread will be made for it sooner or later. Out of all the RPs I have done, the ParaCom ones I did on other sites are my proudest creations.

Will we be able to eventually develop paranormal abilities of our own (a la Blade and Van Helsing), much like the psionics in XCOM?

Either way, definitely interested in this.

ARSENIC said:
Will we be able to eventually develop paranormal abilities of our own (a la Blade and Van Helsing), much like the psionics in XCOM?
Either way, definitely interested in this.
*gives a fish eating grin*

I love me some Xcom, so I'm interested in how this will work out in RP form. But I'm down to give it a shot! Even if that means dying as a rookie in the first mission xD

[QUOTE="Darth Oats]I love me some Xcom, so I'm interested in how this will work out in RP form. But I'm down to give it a shot! Even if that means dying as a rookie in the first mission xD

[/QUOTE]
Remember that anyone can die unless you play your cards right. So strategy and thinking on your feet will be important.

So how will tactical strategy actually play out? Will there be a squad leader to coordinate things or will everyone be free to roam off all alone to get killed and screw everyone over? Lol

[QUOTE="Darth Oats]So how will tactical strategy actually play out? Will there be a squad leader to coordinate things or will everyone be free to roam off all alone to get killed and screw everyone over? Lol

[/QUOTE]
Not just I act as mission control, but also I control the enemies. Usually the most competent soldiers are the squad leaders in absence of mission control. Main Officer Arnold Bradley will be my main GMPC.

I meant in regards to the way a mission plays out. Will it be up to the players to actually coordinate well enough against enemies controlled by you? Kind of like a DM in DnD?

Oh yes. Teamwork will help in survival. Twice the victory and only half the defeat. And yes, kind of like a DM or GM.

Also, for squad leaders, I might do a GMPC if needed. Usually it would be the most competent soldier in the squad. Meritocracy is alive and well here.

One of the players, ergo one of us, will probably have to take the mantle of squad leader and call the shots, so to speak.

At least I think that's what he's saying.

I wouldn't mind volunteering my first character as Squad Leader. At least until he gets brutally slaughtered in the most horrific manner imaginable.

I best be getting a bloody epic death, Uber!

Oh, will medals be implemented into this as well? :D

EDIT: As an after thought, what's to stop people from just turtling for survival?

ARSENIC said:
One of the players, ergo one of us, will probably have to take the mantle of squad leader and call the shots, so to speak.
At least I think that's what he's saying.

I wouldn't mind volunteering my first character as Squad Leader. At least until he gets brutally slaughtered in the most horrific manner imaginable.

I best be getting a bloody epic death, Uber!
Don't worry. Forgive me for sounding like a broken record player, but meritocracy is alive and well.

[QUOTE="Darth Oats]Oh, will medals be implemented into this as well? :D

[/QUOTE]
For outstanding feats, yes. Thanks for giving me the idea!

Back from lunch. Might as well make the threads up and running soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back