• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

(P&P) Desperate Times (A Simple-System Superhero RP)

I locked myself out of my apartment building last night ... not my proudest moment, but it means the CSs will be up tonight, and not (obviously) last night. Who still needs a copy of the rules/has any questions?
we know you were actually fighting crime all night. your secret's safe with us!

I locked myself out of my apartment building last night ... not my proudest moment, but it means the CSs will be up tonight, and not (obviously) last night. Who still needs a copy of the rules/has any questions?
Hah, hope you are all right. Fighting crime can be hard!
I think I may get to the questioning once I actually start to put things together. :3

Hah, hope you are all right. Fighting crime can be hard!
I think I may get to the questioning once I actually start to put things together. :3

Hey, hey I am coding my fingers to the bone over here, I expect results! :pout:

EDIT: Damnit, the [sarcasm] tag didn't work!

NAME: Your name goes here.
ALIAS: Any aliases or nicknames.
HERO GROUP: Once we name the group ...
MOTIVATION: Just a short blurb, please.

TRAITS AND PERKS
ENTRY ONE
- description of the power.
ENTRY TWO
- description of the power.
ENTRY THREE
- You get it.

GEAR
Your gear goes here!

FLAWS: Flaws go here.
QUOTE: a quote that exemplifies your character.
HERO APPEARANCE: What your hero looks like when they're kicking ass.
CIVILIAN DESCRIPTION: What your character looks like when they're just chewing bubblegum.
OTHER DETAILS: Anything not covered by another section that you feel like we should know.
CONNECTIONS: friends, enemies, ex-lovers, current acquaintances, put 'em here.

ORIGIN STORY
And finally, your gritty, horrible origin story and background.

You'll also have to use the progress bar tag in your posts to represent current health, but I hope you all appreciate how painful this was :P

Code:
[row][column=span5][div=padding-left: 5px; border: 3px solid black; border-radius: 5px; height: 100px; overflow-y: scroll;][FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]NAME:[/size] [size=4]Your name goes here.[/size]
[size=5]ALIAS:[/size] [size=4]Any aliases or nicknames.[/size]
[size=5]HERO GROUP:[/size] [size=4]Once we name the group ...[/size]
[size=5]MOTIVATION:[/size] [size=4]Just a short blurb, please.[/size][/FONT][/div]
[div=padding-left: 5px; border: 3px solid black; border-radius: 5px; height: 245px; overflow-y: scroll;][FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]TRAITS AND PERKS[/size][/FONT]
[check=dot][b]ENTRY ONE[/b][/check] - description of the power.
[check=dot][b]ENTRY TWO[/b][/check] - description of the power.
[check=dot][b]ENTRY THREE[/b][/check] - You get it.[/div]
[div=padding-left: 5px; border: 3px solid black; border-radius: 5px; height: 100px; overflow-y: scroll;][size=5][FONT=Fredericka the Great]GEAR[/FONT][/size]
Your gear goes here!
[/div][/column][column=span3][div=border: 3px solid black; border-radius: 5px; height: 500px; overflow-y: scroll;][IMG]image url[/IMG][/div][/column][/row][br][/br][row][column=span8][div=padding-top: 5px; border: 3px solid black; border-radius: 5px; height: 350px; overflow-y: scroll;][row][column=span4][FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]FLAWS:[/size][/FONT] Flaws go here.
[FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]QUOTE:[/size][/FONT] a quote that exemplifies your character.
[FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]HERO APPEARANCE:[/size][/FONT] What your hero looks like when they're kicking ass.   [/column]
[column=span4][FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]CIVILIAN DESCRIPTION:[/size][/FONT] What your character looks like when they're just chewing bubblegum.
[FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]OTHER DETAILS:[/size][/FONT] Anything not covered by another section that you feel like we should know.
[FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]CONNECTIONS:[/size][/FONT] friends, enemies, ex-lovers, current acquaintances, put 'em here.  [/column][/row][/div][row]
[div=padding-left: 5px; border: 3px solid black; border-radius: 5px; height: 150px; overflow-y: scroll;][FONT=Fredericka the Great][size=5]ORIGIN STORY[/size][/FONT]

So once again I am strongly divided between many choices about what character should I go for, after some intense internal struggle now it's down to one, but I still got other options.
It'll be nice if I can roughly know what sort of power&character we have here, to perhaps avoid ideas clashing or allow more diversity before I finalize my choice.

I'll be going for a char with 'spectral ability' (mainly phasing and invisibility) which is quite passive in combat but strong in terms of utility and strategy(at least that's what I am going for).
I recall we have a sci/tech based hero.

So once again I am strongly divided between many choices about what character should I go for, after some intense internal struggle now it's down to one, but I still got other options.
It'll be nice if I can roughly know what sort of power&character we have here, to perhaps avoid ideas clashing or allow more diversity before I finalize my choice.

I'll be going for a char with 'spectral ability' (mainly phasing and invisibility) which is quite passive in combat but strong in terms of utility and strategy(at least that's what I am going for).
I recall we have a sci/tech based hero.

That is correct, I am an android* scientist
*actually a human who transferred consciousness into a robot, but I'm not sure there's a word for that

NAME: Steve Hayden

ALIAS: Professor Science

MOTIVATION: Dr. Hayden believes that it is through science that he can do the most good for the most people, that knowledge is the most powerful weapon against darkness, and that it is enlightenment that destroys evil.

TRAITS AND PERKS

Mundane Traits
4d Academics, 2d Athletics, 1d Charm
2d Command, 4d Medical, 2d Might
2d Perception, 4d Professional, 2d Riding
5d Science, 1d Stealth, 1d Streetwise
2d Survival, 6d Technology, 2d Thievery
2d Toughness, 2d Vehicles, 4d Willpower

6d Blast: Fusion Cannon
Plasma weapon folds up out of forearm and delivers generic energy blasts.
(-2) Charges: Core can't produce spike energy required for weapon. Three rechargable energy cells draw power from core over time, provide one charge each.
(-2) Limited: Each cell is burned out after three uses, so after nine charges are expended, the weapon can no longer be used. Professor must return to lab to retrieve new cells.

6d Armor: Future Science Alloy

6d Repair: Nanites
Two canisters of programmable nanobots housed in upper torso.
(-2) Charges: Up to three uses per scene.
(-2) Limited: One canister provides three charges. After charges are depleted, the ability is unusable until the Professor returns to the lab. Also, the lab can only manufacture three canisters per issue.

(perk) 3d Life Support: breathing, eating, sleeping

(perk) 1d Digital Face: displays images and text.

(perk) 5d Unliving
The professor is a robot.
(-2) Requires coolant: Two liquid nitrogen canisters keep core cool. One canister of coolant removes enough heat via evaporation for 12 days of continuous activity. Usually the professor returns to the lab to retrieve a new one as soon as one is low; the second acts as an emergency spare. If coolant runs out and core overheats, the professor will enter hibernation until temperature returns to safe levels.
(-2) No natural healing: Normally the professor must return to his lab to regain health, unless another character has sufficient technology skill to repair him.

(perk) 1d Headquarters
Research and development laboratory on the outskirts of Mega Vancouver.

GEAR

Gear carried depends on the task. He can at least be counted on to carry a few pens, a notepad, and maybe a tape recorder for work in the field.

570prof.png

FLAWS:

Unusual looks
He has no face.

No secret identity
He's a faceless robot.

Compulsion: Curiosity
I want to know more!

QUOTE: "Finding the Truth will save humanity from extinction. The search will make us worth saving."

HERO APPEARANCE: A faceless android wearing a white labcoat, black tie, and black slacks. He uses a male voice (although created digitally) and refers to himself in the masculine gender. His movements are calm and deliberate. When agitated, his voice becomes distorted, even auto-tuned.

CIVILIAN DESCRIPTION: Like the above, but in civilian clothes.

OTHER DETAILS:

Dr. Hayden's laboratory
A sprawling research facility and manufacturing center. The lab has whatever technology, equipment, and capabilities the plot requires it to. This is not always a good thing for the heroes.

Dr. Hayden's research assistants
Two to twelve graduate students and fellow researchers working at his lab, the number varying by time of year and funding. Obviously, there should be one implausibly attractive 20-something Australian lady who is a brilliant geneticist, an American AI researcher and programmer who looks like Steve Wozniak, and at least one generically British theoretical physicist (male or female). The rest can be filled in as per GM whim. These characters mostly serve the purpose of being convenient hostages and other plot hooks, but also, to grant the Professor access to fields of knowledge outside his specialties.

CONNECTIONS:
Besides his grad students, Dr. Hayden is of course a member of the scientific and academic communities, and so has a number of colleagues in these spheres. Besides professors and researchers, he also regularly corresponds with the editors of prestigious journals, investors, grant associations, industry representatives interested in his work, the press, and the occasional minor politician. His parents are well-respected but ordinary upper-middle-class citizens living in a medium-sized city. His father might be ex-military. Since this implies he is an established public figure, you'd think most people would be used to his appearance, and those he works with personally are; however, he conducts most professional business, including interviews, over the phone.

ORIGIN STORY
Dr. Hayden's current "situation" is the result of a tragic accident which exposed him to lethal amounts of radiation. Unfortunately for the Professor, in this instance, radiation worked like it does in real life rather than comic books, so instead of giving him powers or mutations, it just gave him radiation poisoning. With days to live, he invented a method for transferring consciousness to an electronic substrate, and designed for himself a new body. This method is the one discovery he has not shared with the world - he fears that, if he did, almost everyone would do so immediately without thinking. Since there is no data available, he has no idea what long-term consequences he may face. Unless, of course, man-to-machine consciousness transfer is commonplace in the setting, in which case all of this is irrelevant.

Last edited:
NAME: Niccolo Paganini
ALIAS: Phantom Pain
MOTIVATION: Guardian- Niccolo intend to use his power to protect those who can't protect themselves.

TRAITS AND PERKS
6d Will Power
5d Perception
4d Stealth
2d Blast(Physical) [ -1d Marksmanship]
Fires bullets from sniper rifle.
2d Flight [-1d Levitation]
Levitates or hovers around freely.
3d Nullification [+2d Ethereal]
Nullifies a type of energy or a target's ability through contact. Can be used on a normal target when phased.
6d Invisibility [+2d Make Invisible]
Turns invisible.
4d Phasing [+2d Phase Object]
Becomes intangible.

GEAR
step0001 (2).jpg
Niccolo carries around a Sniper Rifle with silencer as his main weapon.
c2ac25e04babe4c9f607c4c479508d27.jpg

FLAWS:
Light Sensitive
-Bright daylight can be blinding to Niccolo, prolonged exposure can weakened him when he is in his spectral form.

Flashbacks
-Seeing a badly hurt innocent person or a violent villain can induce traumatic flashbacks.
QUOTE: "I'll haunt you, I'll hunt you down."
HERO APPEARANCE:
Niccolo has sleek tidy black hair kept in all-back with a matching dandy long coat and tie. A skeleton shaped mark conceals his pale face, his hollow eyes glow faintly beneath the dark aura surrounding his spectral body. A pair of black gloves covers his cold hands. He appears to be cold, reserved, and quiet through his mannerism but nonetheless, he is sensitive and caring.
CIVILIAN DESCRIPTION: Niccolo is usually in formal attire when he is working as a musician at bar during night. Niccolo is very much a night owl and seldom appears in public under broad daylight unless it is necessary, his short black hair appears to be more messy and he almost constantly looks like he can use a cup of coffee with those dark circles under his eyes and the constantly yawning, his overall worn out look may be due to his unhealthy obsession with sleeping.
OTHER DETAILS:
step0001 (3).jpg
Trusty pet cat Crimson.
CONNECTIONS:
Niccolo leads a solitary lifestyle. He is somewhat a lone wolf and quite literally spends most of his time hiding from the daylight dozing off in his bed. Even though he chose to work in a place bustling with nightlife, he will pretty much just blend into the background with his mediocrity.

Father-Ever since Niccolo escape captivity and left his abusive father by running away from home with his superpower, Niccolo lost contact with his father completely, his only blood-related family that may or may not be alive now. Niccolo had lost all connections with him, in fact, that's exactly what he wants. He wants to forget about him completely, but failed to do so. Every now and then, his father's shadow still lurks deep down in his blurry memory.

Mother-Niccolo's mother left the world when Niccolo was relatively young, leaving him living alone with his father as the only child. Niccolo's memory regarding his mother is vague.

Loving Spirit- The anonymous spirit from The Other Side that 'revived' Niccolo from the brink of death, and thus granting him his power. Niccolo lost all contact with the mysterious spirit after the incident.

ORIGIN STORY
7506b05f815451cbcfc4ce9f10eb3f31.png

Niccolo lived a life where he constantly wanted to just fade into the background and disappear from the world, but reality often reminded him that there was no escape when he felt the sense of helplessness enveloping him every time his younger self heard the man stepping through the door. He almost felt like there was nothing to this world anymore, because he never had a chance to see it, but everything of this world didn't matter to him, he once thought, as long as it didn't hurt anymore, he was willing to do anything to end everything. He is, after all, a coward in nature, so escaping and hiding is the only thing he'll ever want to do, he just want to turn invisible and disappear form the world.

When he felt the world around him faded away, he opened his eye to see the world between life and death, a void of nothingness that had engulfed him, darkness, was what he remembered. Everything had ended, he will not have to suffer anymore, now what? He had lost his way, where should he go, what will become of him? He once thought every fragment of him will vanish from the world once his heart stop beating, but now part of him had left behind, left behind in the world, the life, he despised so much. That made him think, perhaps part of him didn't want all of it to end like this, part of him didn't want to go. At that timeless moment, alone in the rift of reality, he was lost as he'll ever be.
"If you have a chance, do you want to go back there?"

"Say yes. That's all you need to do to go back there, and do what must be done, only then you'll find your way." An entity told him. "Why me? Why do I have a second chance?" He asked, but never got an answer.
"Say yes. That's all you need to do." The entity repeated.

He paused, deep within him, fear was brewing. It's was hard for him to find the courage to say yes, and relive the world that's filled with suffering and fear.

"Yes, I want to go back."

If fate chose to not let him go, perhaps, his newly gained power from the brink of inferno is not the offer for his way to escape and hide, but his way to live on in the face of his fear. Now the world doesn't have to be a place filled with fear, he can always make the world fears him.

Last edited:
OMG, my notifications stopped working, I only just saw this in my watched list, and I'm gonna get reading now! Mine will be up soon, just ... got in over my head on another, much darker RP I was compelled to start as another, much darker RP I've been in has died.

OMG, my notifications stopped working, I only just saw this in my watched list, and I'm gonna get reading now! Mine will be up soon, just ... got in over my head on another, much darker RP I was compelled to start as another, much darker RP I've been in has died.
You sure like dark rps huh? :]
I won't mind if things get a little dark in this one once in a while.

You sure like dark rps huh? :]
I won't mind if things get a little dark in this one once in a while.

It's a Vampire the Masquerade RP... *Heart* but don't worry, mega-vancouver will be dark-ish.

Oh, PS, in your origin section, can you make it clearer where his powers come from? Deal with the devil, natural ability, etc?

It's not a superhero game without rooftop brooding

Yeah, but I don't think we'll shoot barb in the gut...

NAME: Hastielle
ALIAS: Dawn Jensen, AKA Ultraviolet
MOTIVATION: Hastielle wants to become the best hero, and human, that she can.

TRAITS AND PERKS
Mundane Traits
- Academics (2D) - Athletics (3D) - Charm (2D) - Command (2D) - Medical (1D) - Might (3D) - Perception (3D) - Profession (2D) - Riding (1D) - Science (2D) - Stealth (2D) - Streetwise (2D) - Survival (2D) - Technology (1D) - Thievery (2D) - Toughness (3D) - Vehicles (2D) - Willpower (2D)
Blast (Energy - 6D)
- Hastielle is able to utilize the condensed photo-kinetic energy in her body to fire searing hot, concussive bolts of light. The bolts, like all of her powers, are a neon purple colour, full of glittering particles that move with the flow of the energy.
Constructs (Energy - 6D)
- Projecting, and condensing photo-kinetic particles, Hastielle is able to create hard-light imagery, constructs of relatively simple shapes, walls, bars, columns, simply object, etc, out of thin air. Constructs have Hardness, and Might (in the case of a support beam or bridge), equivalent to the user's Construct trait rating.
Flight (6D)
- Hastielle is able to achieve flight, leaving a purple, glimmering streak behind her, the length of which depends on her speed. Top Speed 128.75 KPH
Force Field (5D)
- Hastielle can summon a field of light, which she can extend around anyone standing next to her, which protects from damage. Active as an action to shield self and nearby allies, counts as a passive defence. Usable multiple times per page without penalty, and can be activated as a free action, but it will drop if anyone inside is successfully injured.
Immortality/Unkillable/Life Support (6D)
- As a Celestine, Hastielle's body looks exactly like a human's, inside and out, but it doesn't act like one at a cellular level. It doesn't age, it doesn't require food, or drink, or breath, and it doesn't die. +1D to all defence rolls. Cannot be killed, or die, and has no need for food, drink, sleep, or air. Can still be injured, knocked out, incapacitated, poisoned, torn apart, etc.

GEAR
Having spent all of her money on her nice, new heroing uniform, and relying entirely on her powers, Hastielle uses no equipment to speak of.
43cee179-a911-4e0b-9d56-23351bc6ca4b_zpsb2kt0x4a.jpg

FLAWS: Vulnerability (Darkness) - Hastielle is vulnerable to darkness-based attacks and effects. Earn resolve whenever a defence roll is foregone against a darkness-based attack.
Broke - Hastielle has, at her disposal, all the resources you would expect of a teenager living on their own in the city. Hastielle has no gadgets, or gear, and only has an apartment and groceries because of social assistance. Earn resolve any time a lack of resources presents a problem.
Restriction - Hastielle is, for legal purposes, an emancipated teenager. Being a superhero won't let you sign up for your own bank account. Earn resolve whenever being below the age of majority becomes troublesome.
QUOTE: "I uh, I figure, if you don't know what you are, or where you came from, at least you can know you tried to be the best you could be, did the best you could do."
HERO APPEARANCE: Like THIS, but the body of the suit is purple instead of red, and the house of El symbol isn't there, obviously. Instead, Daybreak's insignia is a purple shooting star with eight points, and the 'tail' pointing downward. The center is also cut-out ... because power girl.
CIVILIAN DESCRIPTION: Yes, that's totally lady Thor, but ignore the armour. Dawn, as she is technically named, stands at 5'4", with a modest, slightly pear-shaped frame. Lithe, and slender, she looks toned, but her generally healthy appearance belies her strength. Her hair is platinum blonde, and hangs well past her shoulders, while her skin is buttery and fair. Her eyes are vivid purple, and often carved into a pensive stare. She's usually dressed with what she calls thrift-shop-flare, and likes sleeveless and generally cut-off things, but will to dress with the season.
OTHER DETAILS:Newp
CONNECTIONS: Mrs. Concepcion - The nice woman who owns the foreign foods market down the street from Hastielle's apartment, they sometimes chat. She has a large family, and is always trying to get Dawn over for dinner (and to meet her sons.)

Dale Richmond - Her social worker. If it were an option, Dale would probably be printed in greyscale, even if everyone else was in colour. He's either very stoic, or a very broken man.

Mr. and Mrs. Jensen - Hastielle's adoptive parents, who provided her legal name and raised her from a baby. They lost a quarter of their house to their daughter's powers the night they awoke, and now refuse to speak to her. Their lawyer gave her an envelope that they'd been provided by the adoption agency, still sealed. Inside she found a gold necklace with the word HASTIELLE OF THE CELESTINE printed on it in a strange, shifting script.

ORIGIN STORY

Dawn Jensen, or Hastielle (As she's recently discovered), like most people, doesn't remember her early childhood. She doesn't remember how she ended up in a parking-lot, surrounded by melted asphalt, or who might have left her there. The first thing she remembers is the Jensen family home, her adoptive family. She remembers going to normal schools, in a normal, boring town, in a normal, boring part of Eastern British Columbia. She remembers her parents being constantly stressed with her unusual behaviour, her strange quirks, her seemingly endless energy and refusal to get sick. They had no idea. It was a few days after her sixteenth birthday that she woke up to her house being torn apart by shaft of purple light shooting out of her body. That was the last night she spent in that house. Her parents insisted. She moved to the city ... the only big city left in the province. Hell, at this point it WAS half the province. She just wanted to disappear, wanted to get as far from her old life as she could, to deny what had happened and move on. If she'd been allowed to leave the province, or the country, she probably would have ended up in Cuba.

But no, Mega-Vancouver was big enough to disappear in, and it wasn't like her parents would come looking. Her case worker set her up with an apartment in a supportive housing complex, just a few doors down from ex-addicts and the impoverished elderly. It was a crumby part of town, but at least there was a sense of community, even where you wouldn't expect to find it. For weeks she lived in fear of having another outburst of light, and found it harder and harder to get to sleep, but as time went on she felt less and less need to. Her desire for food fell away too, and one day she woke up not breathing in a panic until she realized she felt fine. As her body finished changing, she withdrew from her neighbours, from her alternate school, from everyone, feeling more and more rejected; her adoptive parents, her home planet or whatever ... no one wanted her, she was just a dangerous liability.

Sometimes her neighbours or her case worker would check on her, but for six months she didn't leave her apartment. Not until she saw one of her neighbours being attacked in the parking lot. It was a woman with a long history of opioide abuse, a woman whose old friends had found her. Much as she wanted to stay inside, stay out of the way, something compelled her to dash out her front door, to come to the defence of her neighbour. That was the first time she was really able to control her powers. It only took one bolt of light, one of the scraggly figures sprawled, surprised and smoking, on the ground to send the rest running. The woman hugged her for what seemed like a very long time. That was the night she answered her biggest question, the one that had been haunting her since her life came crashing down; Who am I?

The answer was simple ... I'm someone who helps people.

She saved up some money, inspired by more famous heroes to engage a little theatricality. She browsed online shops and marketplaces until she found what she was looking for, and once her outfit was ordered, she began studying the area, memorizing the streets, reading the news-feeds for f@#k's sake. Once all of her outfit pieces arrive, it will be time for her first patrol, something she looks forward to with equal parts dread and excitement.

EXCELSIOR!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back