• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

[OVA revised]Mugen No Odyssey

Legend of tomorrow

A long time ago, the Galactic Empire had conquered most of the Galaxy. Many houses were formed and often got into various conflicts. The Battle of Illion Sector was the bloodiest battle of the conflict lasting a decade but what most people didn't know that the computer of House Illion was used to keep a race of inscrutable and violent aliens at bay, the Chtons who took advantage of the war to destroy most of the houses during the conflict.

The surviving houses, assembled under the banner of Captain Ulysses on Battleship Odyssey. The crew is composed of members of the warring houses, mercenaries, and civilians from the Illion system forced to cooperate.

You are Hero-Generals of the conflict, which gives you access to Organic Living Machine Processing Analogs (simply nicknamed "Olympians"). The Olympians take the shape of a piece of jewelry but can be activated and grants incredible powers usually associated with the God that they represent modeled after a god of Greek mythology (Zeus, Athena, Minerva, Hades etc...), as biomechanic symbiote, they are bound to you and only under rare circumstances would they stop functioning.

It is encouraged that your characters are quite possibly part of ex-enemies factions and the likes, and of course in the end, will end up working together as your main quest is to reach the core universe while surviving the Chtonic menace out there.

System used:

OVA revised, it is actually a very simple system and perfect for anime genre, with how simple the system is, new players and first timers to the system are welcome. We will use the Growth and experience optional rule. You will be able to model any powers and abilities, suitable to the theme of your House of choice.

Ideally 3 to 5 players would be perfect, the game will have theme of perseverance, solidarity, sometime dramatic, sometime going in the darkest despair and sometime bringing a light of hope.

Drama aboard the ship and tensions between various ex-enemies factions are going to be on the menu while having to fight the Chtonic menace as well from time to time.

<p>Hello, I am completely new to this site. ; w ;</p>

<p>

I've played D&D, Pathfinder, and a few other systems before and I've been curious about OVA. All of the games I've been in though have been focused on combat, will I have to be very good at RP for this? I've only RPed once before, it still makes me a bit nervous... That's partly why I wanted to find something in the Dice section since it is something I am more familiar with? ^ ^;;</p>

<p>

I'd love to play!</p>

Might be cool. I already am plenty familiar with OVA as a gm so it would be fun to actually play it.

Last edited by a moderator:
AvidElmV2 said:
Don't know how to use Ova Revised, but I'm willing to learn.
Dude don't worry. It's a pretty simple system although if it's your first time learning a dice game it might be a bit tricky at first. If you wish I could give you an overview of the game's rules.

No problem

For rolling you start with a d6 and add or subtract dice based on relevant things. Then you roll your dice and add up pairs and pick the highest result. So if you had 2 sixes that would be 12, but that wouldn't be as high 4 pairs of 5s which is 20 and would be what you use.

Combat is the same thing but you get fancy maneuvers as well as your customized special moves known in first ed OVA as "power moves" and is what I'll be calling them here. Damage is taken by seeing how much your attack exceeded the defense and multiplying it by your weapons damage rating.

Character creation is a bit trickier cuz there's 2 methods; point buy and "Base zero" and you can have an optional rule to have ability levels cost higher for each upper level. And I say tricky because Op didn't say what method would be used so obviously no one but him knows. But regardless of method it all amounts to taking abilities and some weaknesses.

Base Zero is the default assumption of character building and the book explains it like so,

This rule is based on keeping your character’s total of Abilities and Weaknesses as close to zero as possible. Just add all Ability Bonuses and subtract all Weakness Penalties to see your Character Total. At most, your character should not be above or below zero by more than five—or another number at the GM’s discretion.

Point buy is super straightforward. You get a budget of points assigned by the GM as well as a cap that you can reach but no go over. You take weaknesses to get more points for abilities. So let's say I give you 15 points and you got a cap of 20. You got 15 to buy whatever and you can get an extra 5 points with some advantages.

Abilities are just things a character has or can do and it's pretty varied. They're ranked 1-5 and that rating scale is pretty deceptive as despite the small numbers the differences are big. A 1 is above average and 5 is godly. You add your ability's rank worth of dice to a roll when used, so if you had Evasive 3 you'd add three dice to the roll when you're trying to dodge something. Weaknesses are character flaws and they go from -1 to -3 and escalate in severity much more than abilities. A -1 is something that will be somewhat problematic to the character and a -3 is a serious problem.

Once you've finished you can make your "power moves" . Power moves are basically special moves your character uses in combat. They'll most likely be attacks but you can make something more for support or defense. When used they consume endurance which is like a secondary health bar. You pick perks which add more to the consumption of endurance and provide different effects as well as flaws to reduce consumption because otherwise that super flashy and killy move you make will gas you out.

Hopefully this helps out but honestly I think the best way to learn is to get to playing it.

It's.... Kinda confusing but I think I have a good idea of the system. I only have a few question on the dice rolls and the Base Zero method. You said you roll a d6 and add and subtract based on skills or perks an the like. Does that mean if one of your weaknesses lowers the sides of the dice your rolling but a perk you get increase the amount of die you can roll, it overrides the d6? And my question with Base Zero is me wondering if it works similarly to the perk system Project Zomboid uses? If you've never played it before, basically you get 8 points to spend on flaws, strengths, or an occupation. The points can't go below zero and if they do, you balance it out with flaws.

OVA uses a dice pool system, which I guess I didn't make obvious. You always roll a d6 but then add or subtract dice based on stuff which determines how many dice you roll. If you get to zero dice you roll 2d6 and take the lowest roll. Same thing goes with negative dice but you just add more dice to the mix.

I think this will help: http://www.wiseturtle.com/OVAPlayerBook-Raine.pdf

Basically it's a mix of some rules explanation and it contains one of the sample characters stats and stuff. If you look at his abilities and weaknesses total that's how base zero works.

Ugh... I'm so hyped for this RP.... I need something else to join in on while I wait for people to post on another RP.

I hope not either. If it is, I have an idea for a dice RP if your interested. I'm not the best GM out there and I don't understand many dice systems, but if you want to help, I think we could run it pretty well.

I don't want to derail this thread to be about your RP, @AvidElmV2, but I'd be interested too in whatever you have in mind. ^ ^ I'm itching to play any game~ I really hope this RP does work out though... it sounds so fun. ; w ;

Quiette said:
I don't want to derail this thread to be about your RP, @AvidElmV2, but I'd be interested too in whatever you have in mind. ^ ^ I'm itching to play any game~ I really hope this RP does work out though... it sounds so fun. ; w ;
Alright. I'll pitch you the idea in a PM and then you can tell me what you think.

I'm very new to this site and the OVA system, but I'm quick and willing to learn. Especially since I love the Mugen No Odyssey setting.

Since the most recent post here was last Thursday, I'm hoping that this is still going.

I don't think this game will be happening. Guy hasn't been on for weeks. Although if you still want to play @AvidElmV2 is planning to run something with OVA.

And if that's not to your taste I guess I could come up with something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back