Ooh! Shiny!

Play On Words

Musical Goddess
<p>

Maybe it's just me, but I've never been able to pinpoint exactly what's appealing about every individual RP. Some that have obvious work and thought put into it fail while one that was slapped together gets thousands and thousands of responses. No exaggeration. What is it? Is it BBCode usage? Is it a popular GM? Reply below with what you think makes a roleplay really attract some eyes!

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many factors to name that boil down to - people like it.

And/or it fits some criteria they're looking for.

Presenting the right thing at the right time, and about seven planets aligning. That's what I've gathered over my years of RPing.

I literally never ever ever care about BBCoding, in fact if there's too much going on then i'm outta there before i even read it! Joining rp's on any site comes down to this:

1. Does it fit the kind of rp's that I usually go for?
  2. Does the person posting it seem like they might get annoying? (whether it's them or their character being the annoying one)
  3. Does it just sound interesting?

I think the reputation of the GM definitely has an impact, as do the other people who have already elected to join. Sometimes the group matters most.

The presentation also counts - is there an engaging hook? Does it segue into an interesting setting and plot? Are there clear opportunities for great characters?

And then it's just luck.

What do you think are interesting ideas for rp? Personlly i dont hsve preference i just go for it screw everything else though my experiance is from rping on a game called StarCraft with script rps so for that it was always the setting, good times always on that game. Run on sentence just runs on. Lol sorry.

Something to add here; initial interest barely matters. Sure, you like to see everyone say "TOTES INTERESTED BRUH" and make their sheets, but I've seen so many roleplays die in spite of a huge initial cast.

What's important is retention. Getting a handful of dedicated, competent players that don't explode in a mess. Any RPs I've seen that could be considered successful have done so by having one hell of a solid core group. Of course, I don't have the first clue how you make one of those, so it's hardly any comfort to consider. Suffice to say, it's all about pure dumb luck.

Tarquin said:
Something to add here; initial interest barely matters. Sure, you like to see everyone say "TOTES INTERESTED BRUH" and make their sheets, but I've seen so many roleplays die in spite of a huge initial cast.
What's important is retention. Getting a handful of dedicated, competent players that don't explode in a mess. Any RPs I've seen that could be considered successful have done so by having one hell of a solid core group. Of course, I don't have the first clue how you make one of those, so it's hardly any comfort to consider. Suffice to say, it's all about pure dumb luck.
That and networking. Sign up for stuff, make sure you're one of the people who finishes a sheet, and talk endlessly in OOC about the setting, about the other characters, about the potential for the plot - eventually you'll meet and hold onto a group or broad pool of potential groups.

F'r example, after my... seven years on the site now? I know roughly twenty to twenty-five reliable players I can call on, and I know depending on the kind of RP there are three groups within that pool who I know will be interested. I know, for example, that if I'm doing a gritty fantasy horror, I can definitely get five people to consider it and keep at least three if not all five, and routinely end up with more applicants I know less well. Alternatively, if I want to do posthuman horror I can maybe get three people and the rest of the site will be too intimidated to join so I should really be grateful for those three.

People usually join what seems shiny and nice. You'll find a huge hype, interest, need and otherwise; a huge following amongst all sorts of superhero\villain RP's where all characters have a power\few powers. There are lots of factors to take into it. Plots aren't always that meaningful when it comes, it's mostly about the premise. You'll rarely see a RP make you cry (Though, it did happen to me once) and you will rarely see it make you genuinely laugh. But for sure it might make you sad, or make you smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back