Other One Whole Year....

AnimeGenork

The Duck Overlord
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check

Wow... It's been one whole year since the attacks on Paris by terrorists.

I remember I was at a football game with Marching Band, and I saw my Gifted teacher. As I walked by him, I heard him say, "Paris," but I didn't know what he was talking about. Throughout the rest of the game, I heard murmurs of just, "Paris," floating around, but I was unsure what was going on.

As soon as I got a ride home from a friend, I found my parents watching the news with serious looks on their faces. I took one look at the TV--

--and I was devestated.

"Oh my God," I murmured, and immediately sat in front of the couch where my parents were. "What happened?"

They explained, and we continued to watch the news coverage of the attacks for another half hour. By then, I was in tears, my heart broken for the city I'd never been to, but still loved. (After all, I'm a bit French on my mom's side, and someday, I want to maybe live in France.)

The next night, my friend texted me, telling me to forward it to everyone else. The message said to wear black that Monday at school, to commemorate the lives lost that fateful night. I wore black, and during French class, we mourned the tragedy.

The hashtag #NousSommesUnis (which means "We are united," for those who don't speak French) still sticks with me today. The terrorists wanted to scare us, wanted to cause mass panic across the world. But they failed. They made us all come together, if for a few days, as we helped France rebuild after this tragedy.

It's one of those inspiring stories you only read about in fiction or watch in movies.

So... Where were you when this happened? How were you affected?

And what does "Nous Sommes Unis" really mean to you?

Okay here is my serious opinion about the attacks on Paris. 

People die all the time.

Sure the Paris attacks were horrible, sure it shouldnt have happens. But all the drama man, if you look at the news report, there is thousand of people dying in terrorists attacks everyday. Do we talk about it ? Nope. Not because we dont know about it. But because who cares about what happen far away. It may seem cold but i must say i don't give more attention to thoses attacks than the others. And besides, I'm really confused about something. France decided to go to war. But it seem that they expected that no one will strike back. France is in war, and civils die in wars. French army killed syrian civilians. If you deny it I'm happy to know that you live in a happy little world where the good guys kill only the bad guys. We are not in a happy world but you should not care, do whats make you happy and stop worrying about the past. 

Once again, I don't want to offend anyone. 

Okay here is my serious opinion about the attacks on Paris. 

People die all the time.

Sure the Paris attacks were horrible, sure it shouldnt have happens. But all the drama man, if you look at the news report, there is thousand of people dying in terrorists attacks everyday. Do we talk about it ? Nope. Not because we dont know about it. But because who cares about what happen far away. It may seem cold but i must say i don't give more attention to thoses attacks than the others. And besides, I'm really confused about something. France decided to go to war. But it seem that they expected that no one will strike back. France is in war, and civils die in wars. French army killed syrian civilians. If you deny it I'm happy to know that you live in a happy little world where the good guys kill only the bad guys. We are not in a happy world but you should not care, do whats make you happy and stop worrying about the past. 

Once again, I don't want to offend anyone. 

I think the reason everyone made such a big deal (including me) was because most of the other attacks by ISIS weren't as direct as the ones in Paris. They were fairly synchronized and affected one of the most famous cities in the world. And it happened so suddenly that no one had expected them, considering most of what they'd been doing up until then was beheading and tearing up historical sites. This attack was on a large scale, and with so many family members of people in other countries there, it was nerve-wracking for many, waiting anxiously for that call to say, "Hey, I'm okay."

I'm trying not to take offense to what you said, but it is kind of cold. Yes, war is bloody and cruel, but considering this fight encompassed France in such a terrible way made all of us realize that we have to stand together against this threat. Hence #NousSommesUnis. The entire world came together for once to say, "We're not going to take this. We're going to put a stop to this." You don't see that often. It only happens in a lifetime, maybe, or not at all.

That unity is why it was such a big deal.

Why do you think 9/11 was so big? It brought America closer together.

It's stuff like that that makes this hellhole just a little bit more bearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back