Experiences OC Pet Peeves

Something that irks me is when ocs are controversial for the sake of it. As in, the character is extremely moody for no apparent reason. Seemingly anything will set them off and next thing you know, the character is off slamming doors or whatever only to come back next post like nothing happened. I don't mind temperamental ocs so long as the triggers make sense and their outbursts aren't hyper frequent. Otherwise it gets extremely old.

Something else that people have already mentioned are ocs that take up all the spotlight and leave yours in the dust. This is especially a problem in 1x1 rps. It's annoying when your character's subplot/arc is suffocated under the weight of your partners uber important subplot/arc.
Orcs are almost always a rage monster. Very rarely are they anything but.

Not to mention she did all that in seconds, firewalls aren’t a thing apparently. I understand if it took a minute or two but seconds?
Yea, ignoring things that would probably be present, such as firewalls, creates an even deeper of ignorance in terms of ignoring what could prevent them from doing something since they want to be able to do it and want nothing in their way. But that’s just how I view it.

Yea, ignoring things that would probably be present, such as firewalls, creates an even deeper of ignorance in terms of ignoring what could prevent them from doing something since they want to be able to do it and want nothing in their way. But that’s just how I view it.
It’s not just the hacker archetype it’s any strong and capable archetype.

Ok I got a new one
The time-altering character: ya know, those characters who after they read through the roleplay and notice some people killed off their characters, then go, revive the characters without anyone’s permission and any reasons other than “I time travelled and brought them here” or “I went back in time and killed the person who killed them”. That throws off the timeline so much and it’s annoying! Like, these people assume it will only alter the characters that died being alive, but it should alter the entire timeline and basically it would have to be constructed from the ground up again because of this change!

Ok I got a new one
The time-altering character: ya know, those characters who after they read through the roleplay and notice some people killed off their characters, then go, revive the characters without anyone’s permission and any reasons other than “I time travelled and brought them here” or “I went back in time and killed the person who killed them”. That throws off the timeline so much and it’s annoying! Like, these people assume it will only alter the characters that died being alive, but it should alter the entire timeline and basically it would have to be constructed from the ground up again because of this change!

I'm assuming their characters were killed off for a reason? Like they were gone or kicked out? So wouldn't that just be a case of "lol get out." and wouldn't actually affect the roleplay at all?

Needlessly OP characters. This includes immortal characters.
Damn man, I don't want to play with a character whose abilities are on a world-destroying level. Maked it ridiculously boring, because they can easily break out of dangerous situations or save other characters in dangerous situations way too easily. I want to see my character suffer, not be suddenly saved by your godlike character.
Immortal characters are annoying to me anyway. Most of the time they are annoyingly aggressive and so cocky. And fights with them are kinda useless anyway, as they can't die. When i see an immortal character I usually dodge the character as much as possible and don't get shit started with them.

Needlessly OP characters. This includes immortal characters.
Damn man, I don't want to play with a character whose abilities are on a world-destroying level. Maked it ridiculously boring, because they can easily break out of dangerous situations or save other characters in dangerous situations way too easily. I want to see my character suffer, not be suddenly saved by your godlike character.
Immortal characters are annoying to me anyway. Most of the time they are annoyingly aggressive and so cocky. And fights with them are kinda useless anyway, as they can't die. When i see an immortal character I usually dodge the character as much as possible and don't get shit started with them.
The immortal character can actually be dealt with if you are creative. Burial and cutting them up is one such method to get rid of them.

Another problem with OP characters. There’s no sense of danger or plot when they are around. Because we know they are going to make it. They also actively derail plots. And that’s f—-king annoying and toxic.

The immortal character can actually be dealt with if you are creative. Burial and cutting them up is one such method to get rid of them.
Tried that once with dissolving acid. Got dumped over them. Were disfigured as heck and he didn't had a pulse anymore. Our characters left and like five minutes later, the character stood in the room again. With no visible wounds whatsoever.

Tried that once with dissolving acid. Got dumped over them. Were disfigured as heck and he didn't had a pulse anymore. Our characters left and like five minutes later, the character stood in the room again. With no visible wounds whatsoever.
Of course the immortal dude has a bloody OP cheap as hell healing factor! Because being immortal wasn’t enough!

I hate it when players refuse to put reasonable limits on their characters. I would have been fine if the immortal character got back up only if it had some effect on him!

I'm assuming their characters were killed off for a reason? Like they were gone or kicked out? So wouldn't that just be a case of "lol get out." and wouldn't actually affect the roleplay at all?
No, these characters died not because necessarily the characters were wanted gone forever in terms of removal from the roleplay, as these were people who had numerous characters amd killed off their characters because they were in a situation where it was impossible for the characters to escape death. These characters died in battle too, so ya know, honorable deaths! By bringing back the characters, technically it was disrespecting them because they died in battle fighting for something they believed in, aka no giant evil empire. (That was the roleplay, which was done on a different platform and is now gone)

No, these characters died not because necessarily the characters were wanted gone forever in terms of removal from the roleplay, as these were people who had numerous characters amd killed off their characters because they were in a situation where it was impossible for the characters to escape death. These characters died in battle too, so ya know, honorable deaths! By bringing back the characters, technically it was disrespecting them because they died in battle fighting for something they believed in, aka no giant evil empire. (That was the roleplay, which was done on a different platform and is now gone)

So the people killed their own characters? So wouldn't they just make new ones then? Also I guess I'm not understanding why you couldn't just ignore them? Like treat their posts like a spambot or something and go on as if they hadn't posted at all?

So the people killed their own characters? So wouldn't they just make new ones then? Also I guess I'm not understanding why you couldn't just ignore them? Like treat their posts like a spambot or something and go on as if they hadn't posted at all?
No, they did it for plot, not for creating new character room or for another reason you may be thinking of. Also these people tend to be like “I BROUGHT THE CHARACTERS BACK BE HAPPY” which is just annoying

No, they did it for plot, not for creating new character room or for another reason you may be thinking of. Also these people tend to be like “I BROUGHT THE CHARACTERS BACK BE HAPPY” which is just annoying

EDIT - I think the problem is I'm not understanding how the group as a whole let this happen. Like if someone kills their character than that character is dead. Unless ghosts are a thing in that roleplay than that is the end of that character. So Player X can throw whatever kind of hissy fit they want, post whatever response they want, etc. It doesn't change the fact that their character is dead. So if they try to post for that character than their posts should be ignored because they are invalid according to the roleplay's in-universe rules (if not the actual rules of the roleplay).

So I guess my questions is - Why did it matter if they posted for their character if the character was already dead? Could people not just ignore them and move on with the plot as it was laid out without Player X?

but regardless of their reasons my main point is - if someone is hijacking a roleplay just ignore them. it doesn't matter how loud they scream or stamp their feet if no one acknowledges them than they eventually pack up their toys and go away. And if the plot has already moved on than they can't bring their character back. Period. I don't care what they write. I don't care what they said. Your character is dead and you can get over it.
Unless ressurection is a thing in your RP, death should be permanent. Maybe you can create an afterlife plot if you want your character “back” so badly. Speaking of which, no one ever does afterlife plots for some reason.

Unless ressurection is a thing in your RP, death should be permanent. Maybe you can create an afterlife plot if you want your character “back” so badly. Speaking of which, no one ever does afterlife plots for some reason.

I did a cool roleplay that had that premise. It was basically a Battle Royale roleplay where the goal was all the characters had to kill each other until the last one standing became a god or something. But all the killed characters got to chill out in the after life. There was going to be some kind of side-plot with that but I didn't stick around long enough for there to be enough people to enact it.

I did a cool roleplay that had that premise. It was basically a Battle Royale roleplay where the goal was all the characters had to kill each other until the last one standing became a god or something. But all the killed characters got to chill out in the after life. There was going to be some kind of side-plot with that but I didn't stick around long enough for there to be enough people to enact it.
I know. Having an afterlife plot can be interesting, as you are in a state of being that can not die as you are already dead. It requires some form of creativity to do.

EDIT - I think the problem is I'm not understanding how the group as a whole let this happen. Like if someone kills their character than that character is dead. Unless ghosts are a thing in that roleplay than that is the end of that character. So Player X can throw whatever kind of hissy fit they want, post whatever response they want, etc. It doesn't change the fact that their character is dead. So if they try to post for that character than their posts should be ignored because they are invalid according to the roleplay's in-universe rules (if not the actual rules of the roleplay).

So I guess my questions is - Why did it matter if they posted for their character if the character was already dead? Could people not just ignore them and move on with the plot as it was laid out without Player X?
See, player X was a very controlling person and wanted things to be their way, and they wouldn’t let us continue until we agreed.

See, player X was a very controlling person and wanted things to be their way, and they wouldn’t let us continue until we agreed.

See that is one of those situations where the group as whole needed to Block and Ignore. That person had no right to take over a roleplay with their toxic behavior. I honestly think stuff like that is just a ego-trip. It has nothing to do with the character or story and everything to do with Player X wanting to control everyone else.

See that is one of those situations where the group as whole needed to Block and Ignore. That person had no right to take over a roleplay with their toxic behavior. I honestly think stuff like that is just a ego-trip. It has nothing to do with the character or story and everything to do with Player X wanting to control everyone else.[/QUOTE
The group tried to ignore them but then X started spamming that we should pay attention or we’d be reported for ignoring them via “cyber bullying” or whatever their lame report reason was. Eventually I dropped from the roleplay and I don’t know what happened to the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back