Experiences OC Pet Peeves

During one of my RPs, ressurections always came at a cost to the character. But you are right, a player trying to resurrect his character and forcing you all to acknowledge his ressurection is both a egomaniac thing to do and a toxic thing to do. Unless ressurection is part of the game itself, it shouldn’t even exist!

OP characters are boring to play as after a while. Fun for your first time but then as you go on (assuming you are smart enough to become self-aware) it just becomes cringey and the more you gravitate toward more limited human characters.

OP characters are boring to play as after a while. Fun for your first time but then as you go on (assuming you are smart enough to become self-aware) it just becomes cringey and the more you gravitate toward more limited human characters.
I see. Do u think OP characters can be balanced?

I see. Do u think OP characters can be balanced?
Well, if they're balanced, then they're not really op anymore, are they. I honestly only think exceptionally powerful characters work as antagonists, legends, or other NPCs of vast significance. As player characters, they're just incredibly boring at best, and at worst they make other players feel annoyed and one-upped.

Have you seen One Punch Man? OP as hell, yet a very enjoyable human character.

But yeah OP characters are by defination not all balanced. The only way I can think of to "balance" them is to crush them emotionally rather than physically.

I think it's not very fair to bring Saitama into OP character discussions, because the antagonist of OPM isn't the monsters he fights, it's his boredom and character driven conflict with the people close to him, which is a foe he can't defeat in one punch, which is the whole point of the series, and in this way he isn't OP at all. Most RPs aren't built around this dynamic though, the antagonist IS the monster of the week, and so that's why OP player characters 99% of the time flop.

Well, if they're balanced, then they're not really op anymore, are they. I honestly only think exceptionally powerful characters work as antagonists, legends, or other NPCs of vast significance. As player characters, they're just incredibly boring at best, and at worst they make other players feel annoyed and one-upped.

I think characters that can destroy moons would be considered op even if they are balanced. I think characters without balance are just hax. Hold on. Is OP just another way of saying can't be beaten?

OP as in extremely overpowered, in other words yes. Can't be beaten easily or at all because the character is either completely invinicible or so bloody powerful that it's impossible to last long enough to beat them.

Overpowered means exactly that: overpowered. They have more power than is appropriate to the RP. This makes it a very flexible term, or at least, more flexible than I think is discussed around here. For example, a character that just happens to be proficient in martial arts and swords might be OP in a slice of life rp, but in a military rp, that would probably just be the norm, while a character with the power to fly at will would be op in that military rp, while probably being pretty normal in a superhero rp, and so on and so forth. I think "can't be beaten" is oversimplifying a little, but it's not entirely inaccurate, and yes, any character that can't be defeated is certainly op as hell.

EDIT: also no, Goku has been defeated several times... Otherwise there would be no tension.

Big pet peeve of mine is lolis. I don't want to see a 12 year old girl in an rp about people dying, especially not a 12 year old girl in some skin tight shit. It's gross.

Oh and anyone who puts being headstrong or too angry as their weakness, when it's an RP about fighting.

Big pet peeve of mine is lolis. I don't want to see a 12-year-old girl in an RP about people dying, especially not a 12-year-old girl in some skin tight shit. It's gross.
Like I might make short characters but never a loli. If they're the size of a child, they are a child if I make them.

Big pet peeve of mine is lolis. I don't want to see a 12 year old girl in an rp about people dying, especially not a 12 year old girl in some skin tight shit. It's gross.
That's a pet peeve of mine as well.
Faceclaims that are supposed to be adult but look like twelve year old girls with big breasts.

If your character looks like a twelve year old then she better be a twelve year old. Even an adult trapped in a twelve-year-old body would be preferable to what is essentially a sexualized child.

Like I might make short characters but never a loli. If they're the size of a child, they are a child if I make them.
Ye, I've got no problem with characters who are short or look young, as long as they don't look like a literal fucking child.

That's a pet peeve of mine as well.
Faceclaims that are supposed to be adult but look like twelve year old girls with big breasts.
If your character looks like a twelve year old then she better be a twelve year old. Even an adult trapped in a twelve-year-old body would be preferable to what is essentially a sexualized child.
I feel ya, but I near exclusively RP in RPs about combat and shit. I don't want to fight alongside a child soldier, especially one that won't really react to the shit they see, y'know?

I can accept it in combat rps where it makes sense though, like one about a school for superheroes, it makes sense to have children there, but outside of that, not really, you feel?

Ye, I've got no problem with characters who are short or look young, as long as they don't look like a literal fucking child.

I feel ya, but I near exclusively RP in RPs about combat and shit. I don't want to fight alongside a child soldier, especially one that won't really react to the shit they see, y'know?

I can accept it in combat rps where it makes sense though, like one about a school for superheroes, it makes sense to have children there, but outside of that, not really, you feel?
I understand perfectly.
Naturally in a war setting, you will want to be fighting alongside adults, not children.
Having a child there is just disturbing.

Another pet peeve. A relatively small one. As it doesn't bother me that much, still a pet peeve though.

People who use anime faceclaims for everything. Even realistic RP.

Another pet peeve:

When the player suddenly says that they have an ability but do nothing to establish it in-game (it's not even in their character sheet).

Oh and anyone who puts being headstrong or too angry as their weakness, when it's an RP about fighting.
I mean, too angry when the RP is about fighting could translate to the character doing damage in battle they don’t need to do if they’re feeling angry towards, say, a member of the group they’re fighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back