Experiences Observation & Experience : A Guide To Writing Outside Your Comfort Zone

rae2nerdy

left site
Hopefully that title wasn't too long.

So in another thread this came up and I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a discussion all by itself. Plus I think it will be a really fun way of giving people who are maybe a little nervous about writing out of their comfort zone some fun ancedotes to weave into character building.

Now the idea for this thread is that basically our life experiences will color our observations about people. No group is a monolithe and their are many different variations within it.

But as that just saying " all people are different " can be seen as not particularly helpful I thought it would be fun to give people a chance to write their particular experiences and observations which might more specific help.

You can write experiences based on your age , your gender, your ethnicity, your sexuality, your religion, pretty much anything. You are free to make multiple posts but try not to make more than two back to back.

Also feel free to include observations as well that you have made of people in your particular friend circle, relatives, whatever you want.

I'll provide an example below to help you see what I'm talking about.

Last before I leave, because this always comes up. Here are my thread rules.

Do not be an asshole.
Do not post off topic OR rude comments to other people.

Keep disagreements civil

General DisclaimerThe views and observations in the thread below are based on individual lived experiences and do not reflect all people of a particular race, gender, sexuality, etc. Further when creating a character take a look at the world YOU have created and make sure your character fits into that world first and foremost.

Last edited:
Geek Life Experience
I'm a thirty year old cishet white passing hispanic. I am a librarian. I have lived in that weird part of the US that isn't the East Coast but not the Midwest. There is a lot of corn. I was raised Christian but have no great belief in a higher order. I am the oldest of six children, I have four sisters. My mom has been divorced four times. My dad remarried when I was young. I speak not a lick of spanish despite my dad being Puerto Rican and my Grandmother being a first generation Mexican Immigrant. I am aromantic, I have zero interest in romance, children, dating, any of it. I am a massive nerd. Specifically a Harry Potter nerd. I discovered the idea of feminism and intersectionality through harry potter podcasts.

Small Town ObservationsAll small towns are racist. Some are just super sneaky about it.
There is inevitably a town smaller than yours
Going uptown means going to a town with either a bigger walmart OR a walmart to begin with.
The phrase "who are you people?" is common
The phrase "where are your people from?" is racist
No one locks any door in the small town
You may or may not know all your neighbors ( depends on where you live )
It is usually possible to walk to at least one store or the main street from anywhere in town ( varies on how rural you are )
All small towns have a semi-historic downtown/mainstreet
The shopping there is on point
Everyone says their christians. Inconclusive data on whether that's true.
Old people definately believe in church
And getting married and having babies
But mostly in church
The internet is a newfangled and confusing thing
There is always a public library
Everyone knows at least one meth addict
Everyone knows at least one girl who got pregnant in high school
There is at least one thing that everyone is super proud of. A new walmart, a fancy library, etc.
The world begins and ends at the county line. Everything else is either Uptown. Or the Big City. Or It Doesn't Exist

Observations From A Middle-Aged Woman On The WorkPlace Work is often draining
There is always high school level drama dealing with people who are several decades past the age where it's social appropriate to be a Becky
Adults always be worrying about money
Applying for insurance sucks
Few Jobs (outside of like doctor,lawyer,etc.) pay a living wage
We all gotta be living with our parents, friends, significant others
Childcare in America is insultingly expensive
Benefits will make you stay at a job you hate
There is always at least one man who is inappropriate. Often more than one.
It is not okay to ask someone on a date, tell them they're pretty, or that they have nice x attribute at their place of work
You will definately call in sick to your job at least once. ( without being sick )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back