• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Obscuria (Dark Fantasy, Horror) -- Accepting New Members

Coin

world's okayest lobotomite
OBSCURIA
I weep for thee, who evil has approached.
I weep for thee, who God has abandoned.
I weep for me, she the Moon has cursed.

Foreword
Obscuria will be an exploration of the dark fantasy genre, supported by horror elements. In this proposed roleplay, myself and the cast will be exploring themes of trust, conviction, betrayal, and survival as the subtexts to a grim setting devoid of hope. Characters will endure trials of morality, battle supernatural horrors, and explore the unforgiving realm of Yhark-Disan.

That being said, I should highlight some keywords and tl;dr things that are important for this roleplay.

Influences: Lovecraftian and Gothic horror, Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Darkest Dungeon
Genre: Dark fantasy, horror
Player interactions: Cooperative action
Type: Plot-driven with moderate player agency
Level: Moderate to detailed
Commitment: Several times per week
Storytelling: Semi-linear
Group size: 4-6

I am looking for serious, dedicated writers. While I will be playing the GM, the roleplay will be largely character driven. Players dropping out of the plot cause critical problems, and is highly discouraged.

---
When Shepherds Flee
When the Shepherds Flee
The Sorrows began when the moon fell.

The First Sorrow was the Ever Blackness -- where night skies once were adorned with twinkling stars and the silver moon, only an abyss of darkness remained above. Even the dawns that followed never shone as bright as oft remembered.

The Second Sorrow was the Silver Death -- a plague that shriveled crops, boiled rivers, and rotted men and animals alike. Where cities numbered thousands, only hundreds remained. Where hamlets numbered hundreds, only dozens remained.

The final, and Third Sorrow was the arrival of the Moonfallen -- a terrible and indiscriminate curse upon the living. It begins as incessant whispering in the darkest recesses of the mind, voices of nowhere in origin and nothing in meaning. It evolves into frigid nightmares that wrack the body in fear, so vivid that the hazy line between dreams and reality are blurred. Finally, a transformation of the self. Some become monsters, some begin to fade from existence. Not all retain their sanity.

Without the moon, mankind had lost its direction.
Meddling With Fate
Meddling With Fate
Without spoiling the plot, this roleplay will follow a group of interwoven survivors, grappling with their forsaken destinies. Among their number may include shopkeepers, farmhands, guardsmen, bartenders, nobles, merchants, clerics -- the list is arbitrary. Fate's deliverance played no favorites, dealing pain and suffering to every beating heart.

What matters is that every character will bring problems and solutions to the party in equality. While a noble may have access to education and silver, she may lack in martial skill. While a farmhand may have strength to match his plough horse, he may not know the slightest about survival in the outlands. Characters might not have known each other before the Sorrows, but they now share at least one thing in common: they now rely upon each other to survive.
To Be Moonfallen
To Be Moonfallen
To make matters even more interesting, some characters may choose to be Moonfallen. They are warped by the Third Sorrow, possessing inhuman features or supernatural abilities. Before continuing, it should be stressed that Moonfallen characters are not strictly more powerful than normal characters. Aberrant voices assail both their conscious and unconscious minds, but their grip on sanity and reality remains steady -- for now. A Moonfallen's abilities or mutations often come with other glaring downsides that are case specific. As a general rule, Moonfallen persons are looked down upon by the remnants of society because of their unpredictable nature.

As a teaser, here are some sample Moonfallen afflictions:

Betwixt
The character's body is caught in between the dreamworlds and reality. They are slightly translucent and leave an ethereal trail in their wake. It is easier for them to remain hidden, but their strength over the material world is weakened.

Gemini
The character is spiritually and psychically tied to another character, gaining the ability of limited telepathic communication. The two cannot be separated more than a few meters apart, lest their spirits and minds be shattered.

Moros
The character can detect recent death and suffering. It can sometimes be overwhelming, depending on the slaughter.

Ravenseer
The character has a strange affinity towards communicating and influencing ravens. Ravens are unnaturally smart creatures, and their reliability is a chance at best.
---

Interested?
If anyone has questions regarding anything to do with Obscuria, do not hesistate to ask either on this thread or by PMing me. I am also available on Discord to chat (Coin#4790).

Noting your interest on the thread will earn you a tag if this roleplay gets enough attention.

Last edited:
I'm interested! I'd like to play a more charismatic character (merchant/bartender perhaps?), but yeah, I'd like to be tagged. ^^

Sounds interesting, already have an idea for a moonfallen character

Very interested, got work today so can't reply in depth yet but I was curious to ask what moderate-detailed counted as for 'level'; is it regarding post size/length, etc?

Very interested, got work today so can't reply in depth yet but I was curious to ask what moderate-detailed counted as for 'level'; is it regarding post size/length, etc?
I'm not so much concerned about word count as I am about substance. Anyone can fill several paragraphs up with junk, but I'm looking for people that are getting multi paragraph posts up because of their contribution to the plot.

I'm not so much concerned about word count as I am about substance. Anyone can fill several paragraphs up with junk, but I'm looking for people that are getting multi paragraph posts up because of their contribution to the plot.
Truer words were never spoken- sounds fab.

I think it's safe to say that I've got enough interest to start working on a thread for this. See you all at character creation.

Alright, last bump. Everything is typed out. The main thread, lore thread, and character creation will be posted in the morning.

Do you have room for one more? I would love to be a part of this!

Also, I sent you a Discord friend request.

Last edited:
After considering my options, I have decided to allow a new batch of players to join Obscuria.

This roleplay is seeking new active players. All new players should still read over the general expectations and lore for this roleplay. It would also be beneficial to review previous posts to understand where we are at for the story.

Here is the link for the main thread.

Join us on Discord.

Last edited:
Interesting RP idea; however, I cannot post more than once a week due to my other commitments. I'm only commenting, since I did notice in your main thread that roleplayers did not post several times in a week, so I'm uncertain if you've changed that policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back