O.C inspiration.

I usually pull from books I 've read recently. Or characters in shows.

Maybe think about the people in your life and the traits you like most in them?

readingraebow said:
I usually pull from books I 've read recently. Or characters in shows.
Maybe think about the people in your life and the traits you like most in them?
I'll try, but what about the clothing?

If your wanting fashion from a specific Era just Google it. LIke Mena fashion Victorian era, women's fashion 1950s, etc.

IIQueenestII said:
I need help coming up with an O.C thats has enough creativity with it, help?
I always start off with a Character Chart, for example the type of Character. I have 9 of such:

Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good,

Lawful Neutral, True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral,

Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil,

I first choose one of those, who fit most to my character. Then I think of a Backstory, and at the very end appearance.

If you need inspiration on top of anything else, try some books, movies or anime. Anime is REALLY good for O.C Inspiration.

I usually start with how the character looks like, depends on setting, for example, one of my OCs and her country is based on Renaissance Italy so I will search some clothes, traditions, etiquettes or even a suitable face-claim (if you do face claim). Then 3 positives, 3 negatives and yes, the alignment. After that, sometimes I do some MBTI tests, I think it's fun and good enough to use as a guide for developing your character(s).

from what I see being written here, I think my process of character creation differs a little bit.

Always always always, before worrying about fitting a character INTO a world, I think about this: what kind of character would be fun for me to play in this setting

Maybe it could start as something very simple, take a high school setting for a basic example, I might think "I would have fun playing an exchange student"

The initial idea that comes to me is based on what would be enjoyable, so i use that as my base, my canvas. So I've got, in this example, an exchange student. I build up from there. Will they be a girl, a boy? or maybe genderfluid? will they be trans? basic stuff, to get a better idea of how i can visualise the character. small things about their identity and appearance. Maybe by now your mind will start to fill in all the gaps - that happens about half the time for me once i lock down an idea for an appearance. I'll start thinking that this person may be good at math, is a class clown and likes telling jokes, because i want to have them be a socialite to bring attention to the accent for fact i chose for them to be an exchange student: again, working off of that canvas and taking advantage of what it offers.

If a physical side doesnt come first, but I find myself bursting with character ideas, I instead think about the history and backstory of the character. Okay, so I've imagined a fun character who is an exchange student and I know I want them to be a flirt, for example. Think about what makes them have that trait in their backstory? Perhaps they come from paris and want to live up to its reputation as the city of love. maybe they are flirty because they believe they will truly find a partner in this new country. Just build up the character layer by layer and use that to help you out.

It's not a technique I expect everyone to follow, it's just what I've always used to create my characters and I have to say, it gets me varied characters that are, most importantly, fun for me to roleplay.

If I am truly stumped, it helps to get a personality trait generator and see what you get. Don't lock yourself into whatever it gives you, keep rerolling it until you find something that clicks for you. That tells you "yes, that would fit my character" just to get the ball rolling.

I adore character creation.

In general, Now that I think about it, I find that my characters are generally built up from one very simple concept, maybe even a phrase. The way I see it, these things sit at the core of a character and you flesh them out from there. Maybe this "core" is something about where they grew up, their motivation — I usually start by figuring out how that concept relates to them, then start asking, "Why? What about how this effects their personality, their motivations, and the way they view other people?" From there I start wondering, "Well, what do they like to do?"

And the most amazing part? Sometimes you don't get answers til you start using the character. For example, I have this character named Bael. He is built entirely off of lighthouses in Michigan. My mom mentioned how eerie they are; you'd think they'd be haunted.

So I thought, "Here's a boy who lives in a light house. He's a ghost." And from there, I started building. First, he was a malicious haunting -- very, very vicious and volatile. I wrote with him for awhile, and while I didn't really decide to change him, he started changing anyway. Bits of history started popping into my head, so I connected those things and he had a fleshed out backstory. As he interacted with other characters, he warmed up a bit and I learned what he liked and disliked in other people. One day I thought, "He knows how to play piano," just on a whim, and it stuck.

I've got another, who was inspired, 100%, by this phrase in a song -- "Burying all the evidence."

Solely an image of this blond boy, with one eye injured, burying a body with a garden spade(he killed the guy with the garden spade). I built an entire character off of that image.

I don't know how much help any of that is. It's hard to describe how to create characters. I would suggest not being afraid to get into some very active, maybe simple roleplays to start with, so you can have a pretty vague character and see what they do, because once you start, you may start thinking of things to add and have a character later. I'd suggest one of the school roleplays or something that has no plot if you want to be able to drop out without causing anyone an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back