Advice/Help Nova Roma

Grammatic

Knight of Nevermore
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey, so the last few Rome Rp's have fallen through the cracks, and either crashed and burned, or just became too inactive to operate. I have a mind to start a new one, and looking for advice, experienced players to help admin/mod the rp, and just generally support in anything you guys think might help.

ET CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

I can help. I'm fairly experienced and I've got a fairly good knowledge of Roman history.

Sounds great! The two time periods I was thinking of for the Rp would be:
1. Starting in 40 BC, four years after the assassination of Caesar, the Republic is still reeling from the power vacuum and ensuing civil war. Plenty of opportunity for characters to do things.
2. Starting in 200 AD, the rp is centered around the political and military turmoil within the Empire as increased barbarian invasions begin along their northern borders.

As well, the rp I am planning shall most likely not follow strict history, will give plenty of room for change, and original characters.

Something I would suggest is having all characters be in one legion, or several legions working in concert or at least have them all in the same general area. Having everyone strung out over the empire is a good way to get the rp dead. I would also suggest deciding between everyone being in high standing within the roman empire, senators and generals and such, or everyone being in relatively low standing. With the example of low standing, I would suggest maybe everyone being in the same cohort of a legion, either each character being a centurion in charge of a centuria, with you the GM being the senior centurion in charge of the cohort, or everyone being a normal soldier except you, where you'd be the centurion in charge.

As for settings, I think you'd have to choose which based on what kind of RP you want it to be. 200AD would be more combat focused, on fending off barbarians. 40BC would mean the characters would have to choose their allegiance, to Octavian or Antony or Brutus. It would still have a fair amount of combat, but there would also be a lot of politicking. It's your call man.

40 AD will be a good balance, for players who want to go either political or military.

As for keeping everyone together, I like the idea of keeping everyone in a single legion, two at most. A majority will be Centurions, like you suggested , so they have some authority, but they aren't exactly to high up to start out with. However, when things begin to break down between the three factions, it will give people more opportunities to spread out to different factions and legions. So together at first, then they can spread out, once I am more certain most people will remain active.

Where in the empire are you thinking of having the legion be and who will it be allied to at the start?

The legion will be the First Italia, and it will be loyal to Octavian stationed in Neapolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back