• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Not really a question or information

HarleyQuip

I think it would be nice if the site had some sort of "activity bar" for things like roleplays, accounts, etc.

The activity bar would display, before even going into someones profile, or before entering a roleplay, how active said roleplay/person is.

Basically for roleplays the activity bar would just calculate the number of posts per day, the more active/more posts there are in that roleplay the higher the activity bar would be

For people it would be more or less the same, it would show how active a person is based on how many posts they do a day.

Why would this be helpful?

Well if you're recruiting people you can already see how long they've been on the site. With the activity bar added to that it would add some layer of thought and investment into players for regular and hosted projects.

Also... the problem I've been having recently is finding a roleplay that I would enjoy which is also pretty active. Sometimes Roleplays with a lot of posts aren't always that active, occasionally a roleplay can be dying but be at the top of the roleplay list because of the amount of posts and that's a little misleading. Ontop of that it would make sorting through the dozens of "high school" roleplays a lot easier because they are ALWAYS at the top.

Another thing I've experienced is a roleplay that's been practically dead for 2-3 days will suddenly jump up to 3-4th on the roleplay genre list because it has a few hundred posts. Being able to see the activity bar for both the roleplay and roleplay creator, I believe, would be extremely helpful in finding fun, active, and in depth projects.

Alright... I've said my bit, I'm sure you get it by now. I'm tagging someone I remember from the last time I was here and know is still active and is an all around awesome person for thoughts/feedback

@welian

While having an activity notice like just "average posts per day" could be helpful, think of the coding that would be required. If it was just for RPs, then that is a moderately acceptable level of work. But when you say you want all of the individual members tracked this way, it's  not a good thing. Think about it this way, everything takes up space on the server/s which has finite amount of memory. Now having to track every post, average it correctly to a person or role play, and store it takes up more space than you think as well as reducing the speed of the site somewhat. 

In all honesty, it isn't truly necessary, all you need to do is look at the last few pages of the rp and gauge how alive or dead it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It would also violate our privacy, I sign anonymously to specifically prevent people from stalking or harassing me, if you check my account it will say last signed in on October, and yet here I am. Some of us prefer to hide

This was addressed in a previous post : 

It's not a leveling system, which would require more work and more coding, It's a bar that goes up or down based on your average posts for the day/week.

While having an activity notice like just "average posts per day" could be helpful, think of the coding that would be required. If it was just for RPs, then that is a moderately acceptable level of work. But when you say you want all of the individual members tracked this way, it's  not a good thing. Think about it this way, everything takes up space on the server/s which has finite amount of memory. Now having to track every post, average it correctly to a person or role play, and store it takes up more space than you think as well as reducing the speed of the site somewhat. 

In all honesty, it isn't truly necessary, all you need to do is look at the last few pages of the rp and gauge how alive or dead it is. 

Wouldn't necessarily be that much work, I'd imagine it'd have a very basic algorithm involved but I believe I've seen it done on similar sites.

Also with people doing 1 post a day for roleplays doesn't necessarily mean you or the roleplay is "active". Activity is subject to amount of posts per day.

It would also violate our privacy, I sign anonymously to specifically prevent people from stalking or harassing me, if you check my account it will say last signed in on October, and yet here I am. Some of us prefer to hide

Regarldess of if you sign in anonymously I can still see your activity, your posts, your likes, status updates, etc. So not any more than it already is.

Does anyone have anything positive to contribute or was it really that horrible of an idea? 

The staff steam appreciates all suggestions and will take this into consideration. :)

The staff steam appreciates all suggestions and will take this into consideration. :)

Thank you, I know my profile says I'm new here but I'm actually not and I thoroughly enjoyed the bbcode of the last version of rpn, not to say that I don't like this version. But if you or any of the other staff have any questions about how/why it would be better than what's in place right now I would be glad to answer them and even attempt to help with coding if possible @Musician

Last edited by a moderator:
The seniority of a user does not impact our opinions.  While I also miss the BBCoding, it is, unfortunately, incompatible with the site's new software.  The software needed to be updated in order to keep up with the growing activity of the site.  

Happy roleplaying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back