• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern No Place Like Home

Emily was leaning against the counter of the café and nursed a cup of coffee. Life giving brew. Whoever created this was a genius. She was always grateful to be living in the USA where coffee was a normal thing because she couldn’t imagine trying to live without it. It would no go good for anyone around her.

A moment later Robyn walked in, Emily was just about to greet the passionate girl when she threw a brochure on the counter and asked if she was quitting. Furrowing her brows she looked down at the paper and felt all the color leave her face. Nick. Again. Anger, embarrasement, fear and disgust all swirled in her stomach at the thought.

Molly grabbed Robyn’s usual cupcake (which Emily never charged her for) and slid it across the counter. Emily lost all appetite so the thought of putting anything other than more coffee in her stomach made it twist painfully. She looked at the girl and saw the worry in the girls face.

Emily nudged Molly with her elbow to shut her up then grabbed the brochure and ripped it to tiny shreds, letting it fall on to the counter top.

“I’m not quitting. I am not as active with it as I was because there is a lot going on but I’m not quitting. The people with this brochure are …” She paused, nibbling her lower lip gently as she tried to put this in a way that Robyn would understand and not using curse worse. “I used to know them. There were discussions about doing something like this. At the time, and this was a few years ago, they weren’t ready to start something but not it seems they are.” Emily gave a small shrug. “I don’t mind. I have you and a few others and that’s enough for me. I don’t need more than that. I don’t do it for the money so don’t worry little bird, I’m not going anywhere any time soon.”

Emily started calling her little bird, first because her name but also because she always seemed to just fly when she was on a horse. As light and free as a bird. It just kind of stuck.
She slid the cupcake towards the girl again.

“Eat your cupcake. Everyone in town likes to talk and really like to say things that aren’t true or start rumors. Best thing to do is do what I do. Ignore them and wait until the truth comes out. It will ALWAYS come out no matter how hard someone tries to keep it down.”

A lesson learned the hard way. Nick taught her well. He couldn’t keep his true nature hidden no matter how hard he tried. His family couldn’t’ keep their secrets hidden from her long. They tried and failed. The truth never stayed hidden. No matter how much it hurt.

"Jerks," Robyn finished the sentence as her teacher paused. Ms. Moore was very polite. She was that kind of woman that believed if you held your chin up high, sooner or later the right thing would follow. Those were the people you admired in books or a good story, but from Robyn's experience you stood up for yourself.

Dad worked on too many cases where the right thing didn't come out until after the good person died. Grant it, solving all your problems with a closed fist wasn't the answer. Ms. Moore was right in the sense that leaving it there and focusing it on riding was the better outlet. Well...not all of the focus. Horses had a good sense of what you were feeling that day, and if she was too sour, none of them would let her on them. Horses weren't punching bags, just friends to help you process it. Once she rode, the wind across her face...that's when everything melted away.

Now Nicole Bass was trying to take that away from her too.

Ms. Moore then finished the sentiment saying she used to know them. The Bass family. Ms. Moore's sister put her hands up as a means to surrender for speaking. She didn't know the lady much, but she was kind of weird. Most of her interactions with her was the women in her pajamas pacing in a supply closet of sorts talking to people on the computer.

"Nicole Bass is in my grade and her and her little Headbands are making my life a living hell." She puffed out, ripping the bottom half of the cupcake and placed it ontop of the frosting.

"You know," Molly interjected giving her sister a sheepish smile at first. "We used to go to school with her mom. She was in our grade. Holly Bass. She wore headbands too. Let me guess, two or three girls wear matching outfits and headbands. The ladies of this great town or whatever. Representing class and dignity. Oh man, I used to pull so many pranks on them because of the shit they would put us through. Em here, knows how to pick a lock and did not know what I would do with that once she showed it to me. Obviously, once you got that skill, you have to do something with it right? I picked the locks of their lockers and placed these stink bombs of cottage cheese, mozzarella, coffee and hay. Did it on picture day so it blew up in their faces."

The sister paused for a second as Robyn just blinked.

"I don't think the school knows I did that to this day so don't say anything."

Robyn smiled slightly, Ms. Moore's sister was definitely weird.

"Point is, people like that...it's ok to push back but push back smart. The Bass family is saying we're out of business? Fuck that." She cracked her knuckles. "That brochure is chump play for marketing anyways. I'll take care of that end. What you do is you work hard and you find out whatever competition or benchmark they are going to go after to gain credibility and you beat them."

There was the state wide youth association horse competition being held in the next following months. Robyn wasn't sure she wanted to enter at the time. The fee was large and it wasn't something she felt comfortable asking her dad. She bit into her cupcake. "Are you hiring?"

The bell chimed, and the good times ended before the door could swing shut.

Nicholas Bass knew how to make an entrance. It could be the cologne he wore or Gucci-level style of cowboy boots that hit the ground. Molly wouldn't be surprised if she found out the man's entire outfit cost more than her car. But that was what you got with a Bass. They were big fish in a tiny pond, and they wanted you to remember that they were big. "Em and Ems," he smiled, his teeth a perfect pearl white.

Robyn bit into her cupcake, her brown eyes watching. The kid could rival an adult's stare of mistrust; Molly would give her that. M&Ms might have been a cute story. Nick always had a thing for Emily. When they were little kids, he flicked that specific candy at her to get her attention. They say the boy that pulls the girl's hair at the playground does it because he likes her. That was definitely the case with Bass. He eventually won the girl.

Lost her when her sister got confident in herself. Thank the Lord.

But here they were again. He slid a check on the table. "Came by with a gift. For the both of you. You're welcome."

"You're just handing out 10 million dollars?" Molly arched her brow. She didn't think she was blind; there were five zeroes on that check. "Wow," Something was up to his sleeve. "So generous."

"It's good starter money. Start a life anywhere you want. I want to buy the farm off you. I mean, your dad did all of the work, and it's not like Big City Champ is just going to give up her life and move here. I talked to your boss, by the way - you are a big deal over there. Sure your work has dipped a little, but he understands with death in the family and being dumped."

Molly's eyes widened, and she just stared at him, unable to process what he had just blurted out of his mouth. She hadn't disclosed this with her sister. And some fucking ass just...blurted it out. There were too many thoughts to write or think all at once. At that moment...she was just speechless.

"I mean, if he was real. We've all had that European relationship to try and make someone jealous. No judgment. And Em and Ems here, it's way too much work for her to manage a farm independently. The bakery's already close to bankruptcy; at least that's the word around town. This..." he tapped the check. "You ladies can live your whole lives comfortably. Your parents didn't have much to leave you, and that's not fair. Take it."

Molly turned heel and walked away. The storage door slammed shut.

Nick laughed, turning back to Em. "Little moody that one. Anyway, your welcome."

Emily had only sighed when Molly started to tell the young girl about all the stunts she pulled in school Molly was the revenge type while Emily was (mostly) the get out and ignore them type. She didn’t do the get-even-with-them mentality because she found no joy in it, only exhaustion. It’s why she left her ex when she did and then just mailed him the divorce papers. She hated confrontation. She can do it, would do it but she hated it and so tried to avoid it as much as possible.

Leave the revenging to her sister.

Emily smiled sweetly at Robyn. She was so dedicated, so determined and sometimes too serious. She gave her the benefit of the doubt since her father was a law enforcer and probably witnessed quite a lot that most girls, most kids in general, didn’t always become exposed to. It was bound to make her a little different. Other people may not understand but Emily did and loved the girl for it. Which is why she got back to teaching even if she hadn’t wanted to. All for this girl here.
She gave a little laugh when Robyn looked at her seriously and asked if she was hiring. She didn’t think she could legally hire her, not until she was 16 but she could pay her cash for errands and other things done. Toeing the line but never actually crossing over it.

Before she could open her mouth to give Robyn the option the door bell chimed. Smile to greet the new person. Fake smile but they didn’t know that. The smile slipped quickly off her face as all the blood fled with it.

Nicholas. Her ex. The abuser both mentally and physically. The sociopath. Greedy and selfish. Mama’s boy. Arrogant and cruel. Doesn’t know how to take NO for an answer on anything. It took lawyers and police to get him to fill out the divorce papers and to not come after her. He had tried.

Emily found the fear and ice cold dread in her veins. Molly and Robyn were here, she didn’t want to see how much Nick scared her. She wanted to draw away, go hide and put a pillow over her head to keep him away. She wouldn’t.

“Don’t show them you’re scared baby, nothing a bully loves more than your reaction to them. Eventually they will lose interest and leave you alone. All you got to do is don’t show them you’re scared, no matter how hard it is.”

Momma said that to her one day when the girls at school were being mean. Molly got revenge but Emily took those words to heart and put them in to practice. Every day with everyone. She could and she would do it now.

She couldn’t stop the tiny flinch when she called her by the nickname she had used to love. Not she hated it. Made her want to throw up. Would always call her that, especially after he hit her, to try and made the situation better. Fake sweetness. Made her want to gag.

Molly looked at what Nick slid across the counter first. Emily didn’t flinch or bat an eye at what her sister just said. She was married to Nicholas for years and so she had grown accustomed to him and his family just throwing large amounts of money everywhere and at everyone.

“Everyone has a price Em and Em, just throw have to find the number.” He told her one time when he was negotating for something stupid.

Now Nick was sweetly insulting her sister and it put her hackles up. If she was a dog (or wolf) all the fur along her spine would be standing tall and her teeth would be bared. It was one thing to pick on her but no one messed with her sister, not in front of her. Not after everything the both of them have been through.
Emily didn’t know that her sister had been dumped. Emily hadn’t asked because she figured she would say something if things were bad, but she hadn’t expected that. She grabbed the reaction before it could show.

Show no weakness.

She would definitely talk to her sister about it later, no doubt about it. She would sit on her sister until she talked if that’s what it took but right now she couldn’t let Nicholas know anything.

No expression. Don’t react.

Show no weakness.

Poke at Molly’s work. Poke at Molly’s love life. Poke at the Emily’s business. Poke at the farm. Poke. Poke. Poke.

Don’t react.

Show no weakness.

Pulling on past experience with this man she fought to not let anything he said sink in. He was good at this, using words to tear people apart. It’s why Emily still had little to no self confidence, no self esteem and it almost always scared of every one. She hid it really well but the internal battle was waging fiercely.

Swallowing hard she took a slow breath in and let it out slowly. Pulling herself in close and tight. Emotion later.

Taking the check on the counter she looked down at it. Really did say 10 million. Heaven help her she would never get used to seeing that many zeros on a check. But it was evil money and she didn’t want it. Didn’t need it.

Looking back at her ex, though her internal self was crying, shaking and screaming, she started ripping the check up slowly and in to tiny little pieces.

“Thank you for stopping by Nicholas.” She said coldly, no emotion. She wouldn’t use his nickname. He hated when she used his full name. “It is really good to see you looking so well. I bet you have many girls making sure you are well taken care of. I also REALLY appreciate you bringing me this money and the fact you bring it because you’re worried about me. It was very sweet and kind.”

Blank. She stopped feeling. Feeling nothing. Though she wouldn’t look away from Nicholas because if she looked at Robyn she might just break apart, the act she was putting on would come shattering down.

“My café is doing just fine. I know where my finances are and they are acceptable. I am not bringing in millions like your family does and that’s ok with me. I also appreciate you worrying about me having to work on the farm alone but I’m ok with that to. I know all the enough people that would help if I needed it but I’ve been taking care of the place long enough that I don’t actually need any help.”

More tiny paper shreds landed on the counter. She was almost done with it. It did feel kind of good.

“Unfortunately I am going to have to tell you no about buying the farm. I know you are doing it with my best interest in heart but we are no longer together, I am no longer your concern so you don’t have to worry about me.”

Once all the paper was shredded she pointed to the door.

“Now if you don’t mind, I have some baking to do for some deliveries. Do give your parents my best.”

Dismissed. She just dismissed him like her mother had tried to do with her a few times.

Small tremors started in her hands so she shoved her hands in to her pockets deep so no one would see as she stared this vile man down.

Em could put on a blank face all she wanted, but Nick knew her enough to know that when he got that look, he already won. Her head was definitely spinning and he'd probably be some extensive journal entry about how cruel and awful he was for not respecting her "feelings" or whatever she wanted to call it. Em n Ems always had a problem with distinguishing the reality of the situation and her imagination.

"My buddy runs the Jumping Bean. He tells me a different story, Ems. You can put on the face all you want but it's not like you have empty stock." And maybe he was being a little cheeky placing two twenties on the counter. "I'll do a large coffee, how I usually take it." He pulled a seat to the charity case black kid that the new detective rolled up with. Maybe his sweetheart got her cry out by sharing how much it sucks being an orphan and being adopted. He heard too many of those stories.

Little melodramatic with the check ripping. He wondered if she had some inner "Go Queen" in her head. Women were fucking crazy, but hey, at least they were pretty to look at. He shrugged unphased by it. It wasn't like her triumphant little moment was going to pay the tax payer. It was all over the news these days, crazy lazy shits just shouting it to the man hoping that their tiny little voice was heard so someone could save them.

"I know you're struggling, Em. You were never really good at leading people. My sister would go on about all the mothers of the kids you trained horseback riding, how they kept losing competitions. Kids only have a finite amount of time to solidify their position. Your sister, she got it. She had to be top tier number one in this place to go to the city and look at her. Failed. Getting off track. Anyway, sis couldn't handle the complaints anymore so she's picking up the slack there. From where any normal person is sitting, you're struggling. Hard. I could just wait for the bank to foreclose the estate...but can't leave my girl homeless on the streets. That would be too cruel."

"I think she's a good teacher." Robyn interjected.

Nick looked down. Of course she would, the classes were probably free or milked off the tax payer dollars. He didn't even think people like her could afford swim lessons let alone horse riding lessons.

Emily really hated this man. It’s crazy how you could love someone and see them one way to something changing (such as abuse) coming in to picture and opening your eyes to seeing them as they truly are. How could she have fallen for his arrogance and greed? It made her sick thinking of sharing her home, heart and worse, her body with him. Thank the gods above and below she didn’t have a child with him.

“I really don’t care who you are friends with and I really don’t care what they say about me or my business.”

Stay emotionless. Don’t show weakness.

Stay cold. Stay detached.

Her hands still trembled slightly in her pocket. Her had set the money on the counter and asked for coffee but she just stood there, unmoving.

“The only thing I am struggling with is how any of this is any of your problem. I teach the kids about respect for themselves and their mounts. I teach the kids about balance and grace. I do not teach them to win at all costs. If some of those kids don’t like that then it’s best they found someone who doesn’t care how they win. I teach the kids how to be one with a horse and not a slave and master.”

The last comment was a stab towards him and how he treated her while they were married.

“Your sister can have all of the kids who want to win at all costs. I’m sure there are more who will go to her.” Em gave a shrug.
Her shoulder did stiffen though when she noticed him looking at Robyn. Emily REALLY didn’t want him to start in on her. He was not kind, to anyone, and he didn’t need to take any interest in the girl. So she pushed some of her long messy hair from her face and moved so she captured his attention again. Better to focus on her than Robyn.

Though that comment did make her heart squeeze slightly in appreciation. Not that she would let it show.

“So again, I say, have a great day Nicholas. Take your money because I really don’t want it and don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.”

Not that he had an ass. It was rather flat.

"See this? This is why you're struggling owning a business. That's just now the real world works, sweetheart." Slave and master? Clearly she was dipping into the dramatics again. Emily could pull an oscar winning oh woe is me contest. He left the money on the counter. "You can turn that into confetti too, whatever you like." Nick rose from his seat and started to head out.

Let the record show Nicholas Bass tried to be kind. Everyone had a price, and if money didn't work, there were other means. Every exchange that's ever done is a sale. Someone pitching and being pitched. Nick was one to always close. The bell chimed as he grabbed the door. "Just so you know, always thinking of you when I'm with those other ladies. The whole picture." He winked.

That would drive her apeshit for a few hours. It wasn't a lie either. It was always fun to poke and prod, wind her up a bit.

As Nicholas bass walked down the street the supply closet opened with Molly walking out and sitting back next to Robyn. The young girl looked back at the door and then back at the adults. She didn't fully understand all that was there, but the two of them looked shook.

"You good with computers, kid?" Molly finally asked.

"Uh..."

"Like editing, uploading content on social media. That something you can do?" She didn't wait for an answer just nodding to herself. "Good, because I got ideas for the farm." She saw the ripped confetti on the counter and just nodded. "How you holding up?"

Drama queen. Over-exaggerate. Made things up. Wild imagination. Those were all the things Nicholas used to tell her when she told him how he made her feel. He never wanted to hear negative things and would often make her feel like she was going crazy.

I mean, how could you feel controlled when he bought you expensive jewelry and clothes. When he took you to plays and operas. He read her diary once and yelled at her for making things up and making him seem like the villian. Funny thing is, she never told anyone what was really going on. She kept everything locked down. Didn’t want sympathy or people thinking she was weak.

She really hated this man. It was to the point she didn’t understand how she could really have ever loved him. And what’s worse? A part of her thinks he actually did love her at one point but was too broken to know how to love.

Emily would have felt bad for him, sypmathy and understanding if he didn’t believe a kiss with a fist was better than none.

Swallowing back bile when he told her he thought of her and her whole picture when he was with other women, she didn’t move until he was completely gone.

Taking a deep shaky breathy she pushed some more stray hairs away from her face. She listened as Molly left the supply closet and came in. Emily was on the verge of a break down. She had to get out of here soon.

Taking the $40 off the counter, holding it by the edge with the tips of her fingers, she handed it over to Robyn. “I want you to take this, it’s yours. I don’t want him to think that his money helped me in any way. Save it, spend it or give it away. It’s yours to do with whatever you want.”

Pressure started to build and knew she had to leave. Panic, fear, anger, depression, fear, disgust, shame and fear all crowded inside her. All the emotions that Nicholas wrought in her. She needed to get it all out but she wouldn’t do it here, not in front of the girls and not where people could hear.

“Molly I need you to lock up the store for me. I need … I need air…. Fresh air. I’m going to step out for a bit. Don’t worry, I’m fine. I just need to shake Nicholas off. I’ll see you at home.” She looked at Robyn. “Thank you for saying you think I’m a good teacher. Don’t forget we have a lesson tomorrow and if you want to earn some extra money come to the café after school. Talk to your dad first, I don’t want him mad at me because you didn’t say anything. I will ask him next time I see him, so no hiding and pretending.”

Too long. Her hands started to shake harder now. She could feel her legs start to join in. She needed to get out.

“I’ll be back later.”

With that she walked to the back of the café and out the back door. She didn’t know where she was going just knew she needed somewhere away. As she walked down the street tears started forcing their way to her eyes and down her face. She couldn’t stop them, they were coming now. If she didn’t find a place to hunker down she would lose it here on main street.

Wouldn’t that get all the nosy bessies talking. Nicholas would find out. He would be smug and I-told-you-so. No.

Veering off to the left she found the park that was placed away from everything so the kids can’t bother the shoppers but close enough people could see the kids playing. She all but ran over to it, found the lower tunnel, crawled in and curled around herself.

Once she was hidden from everyone and everything she finally let all the emotions come out and let herself feel. She bawled (as quietly as she could) as she pressed her face in to her knees, which were pressed against her chest and her arms wrapped around them tightly. She let herself cry out all the emotions and fear. Her entire body shaking like a leaf in a tornado.

Molly had done a very impulsive and reckless thing. Her boss had made it a point to bring that up. From travelling across the globe to be with a man, picking all her belongings and driving across the country and now quitting her job....all of it screamed of a woman having a mental breakdown. It was reckless. In just one month, Molly had seemed to take a torch, burning her old life to the ground and leaving nothing but ash in its wake.

The bell chimed as Emily walked out. She probably needed a moment to clear her head, to try and process what had just gone down. Em never really talked about the decline of her marriage, it wasn't something Molly pried into. She understood that there were some emotions that just needed to be processed alone. Besides, that didn't work very well when they were kids. Emily bounced to several foster homes. There were many nights that Molly thought if she pried too much, her new sister would leave in the middle of the night and never come back. It was silly to think that, but here they were and Molly was thinking the same thing.

She hopped over the counter, caution be damned. "Coffee?" She asked. The kid just blinked and Molly seemed to get the gist. "Right. You're like...ten or something. Hot chocolate it is."

"Twelve."

"Close enough."

Molly hated silence, even when it was just doing a small task like preparing coffee. Silence meant you had to dwell on your thoughts. And right now, she didn't have much of anything. She slid the hot chocolate across the counter and sipped her own coffee. "He was a jerk." Robyn said. She gripped her cup. "Why does his whole family have a grip in everything in this town?"

"Small towns, kid. It's always been that way. The Bass family had roots here since before the whole Oregon trails and shit. My family? We were immigrants from Ireland. Didn't have a penny to our name, but the government was giving away acres of land to people brave enough to travel by foot. So my great great great grandpa, with a wife and a newborn infant packed up everything they owned...and made the hike...coming here. Where, the Bass Family was the ones who already owned the town and the land. They've just been a staple since Bellarose's conception. Jerks are just jerks though. Money comes and goes but what's up here?" She tapped her noggin. "That can beat a Jerk anywhere and anytime."

Robyn didn't look so convinced. If anything the adult talking to her had a crazy look in her eye, the look when you know someone's about to break down crying because they are at their wit's end. She sipped her drink. "That's why you hid in the closet?"

Kid got her there. Molly sipped her drink. "I called my job and quit. I don't want to work at a place that talks about private information to anyone that seems to call it. I needed to do that in a quiet place. Dignity is priceless, don't forget it."

Right. That would explain the unhinged look. Dad had that look on his face when he was trying to sound excited moving to this little home. Adults tried very hard to make it look like they had everything together, but really it was obvious that they didn't. "I know Ms. Moore talks about not caring about winning horse riding competitions, but I want to win..."

"She didn't mean it like that-"

"I want to show the Bass's that money doesn't make talent. I want to beat them."

"That...that we can definitely help you with." As Molly said that, she started packing all of the inventory into brown boxes.

"What are you doing?"

"You heard the boss lady. We are locking up. But this is going to go bad so...I'm going to do some hustling on the streets."

"Are you crazy?"

"Crazy makes things happen, kid. Don't you forget it."
--
As the sun got closer to shutting down for the day, Molly started to understand why her sister liked teaching kids so much. Her 'little bird' seemed to stick to her like glue as they locked up the bakery. The kid seemed a little concerned that both adults were on the verge of breakdowns. WIth one gone and out of site, she followed the other on her bike. And let me tell you, it's a lot easier to sell cupcakes, brownies and other baked goods when there's a kid involved. Inadvertently, Robyn got to hear the whole story of Molly as she knocked on neighbor's doors as they wanted to catch up on the gossip.

The Bass family really got the word out she was dumped and she was a failure. It was like emotional waterboarding as she held out a box to try and sell a treat with the neighbors going 'Bless your heart'. By the second hour...Molly played into it because it looked like they overpaid just to get the dirt.

When the last box was sold, they had made about 600 in cold hard cash, Molly gave the kid 150...walking the rest of the way home. Silence when you were alone was ok, because then you could cry. Coming back to the house, tired, her feet swollen from miles of walking, she was greeted by Ebony...and no Emily. Whatever Nick had said was a doozy. Clearly. So...while she waited for her sister, she had the cash on the table making a pot of mac n cheese.

The two had a lot to talk about. Molly was crazy...and crazy got shit done. She needed to be an entirely new level of crazy if she was going to pull off what they needed to accomplish.

The break down was over. She had cried as much as she could possibly cry. The trembles have stopped and now she could breathe without the huge weight pressing on her chest. It wasn't her finest moment but it helped. She could now function like a normal human without all the emotions clouding up her thoughts.

Crawling out of her hidey hole tunnel she moved out from under the playground and stretched. Those spaces aren't as big as they used to be. Either they were making them a lot smaller than before or .... she wasn't as small as she used to be.

They were just making them a lot smaller. Yup, that's it because there was no way that she was too big for these.

Wiping her eyes and nose, sniffling, she walked back to the cafe. Molly locked up like Em asked her to. Perfect.

Walking in to the back she grabbed her car keys then drove home. She was exhausted, not physically but mentally and spiritually. It was just ... not real how she could go from loving someone with her whole being to hating them so much that even just a small interaction with them wore her out. She didn't understand why he wouldn't just leave her alone. She had tried every way to get him to understand but he just didn't get it. Always coming back. Randomly. He would go long periods with no contact, lulling her in to false security but then come back. A person can only be on alert for so long before it took it's toll.

Back home she went inside and hung her keys on the wall by the door. Toeing off her sneakers she looked over and saw her sister.

"Thank you for closing up the cafe. Sorry for leaving you and Robyn there." She sighed heavily and went to flop on the couch. "Nicholas just knows how to get under my skin without even trying!"

Molly poured hot water into two mugs. Tea settled the nerves. She wasn't much of a coffee person like her sister. It was a running joke back in Boston that Moore hated coffee. She'd shotgun a triple espresso just to chase it down with orange juice or whatever drink. Espressos were quick and did the same job as a large coffee, just in one gulp versus an agonizing few minutes with a cup of Joe.

Tea wasn't so bad. Grant it; Molly drank it black, so she was just an overall weirdo. She curled herself on the other side of the couch, sliding the other cup to her sister. She went into her pocket and threw the cash on the table.

"I gave the kid $150. The two of us went door to door and sold the goods until the inventory was completely wiped."

Her brow raised. "It's not your fault this guy is an asshole. You know that, right?" Emily didn't control or make Nick say or do any of those things. Grant it; those things were rough to hear. "I'm sorry you had to be married to that. Suppose that's how he talked to you on the regular...power to you for holding in as long as you did. That makes you a saint."

She sipped her tea and let the silence settle in the room for a bit. One thing she loved about this house was the fireplace. A few logs were going off, the fire cracking in the silence between the two sisters. It was time to rip off the bandaid. "I quit my job."

Molly dreaded the next part. What choice did she have? It was already out there. Her pain and vulnerability were just out and about for strangers to comment, put their two cents in along with reminding her that she should have seen it coming. "Ryan and I broke up..."

That wasn't exactly right, was it?

"I broke up with Ryan..." her lip twitched, and her throat felt very dry. She just wanted to crawl in a hole and never come out. "I was going to talk about it...but I didn't want to talk about it until I was home. Then when I got home..." She shrugged.

Their parents died. Then after that...it was easier to just not talk about it.

"We...it's really hard to talk about. But I guess you don't have to worry about me moving to England. Anyway...it was massively inappropriate for my employer to share personal information with anyone. I didn't mean to leave you with him. I just...it was a lot to process."

Lastly.

"Are you ok?"

That wasn't bad for a $150 hustle. Molly was very different from her teacher. Ms. Moore was very calm, soft-spoken and would encourage you to express what you were feeling. Molly was high energy, jittery, and all over the place. Robyn noticed that if the girl were left alone in her thoughts, her eyes would dart left and right as if she was reading through planned proposals her brain just came up with.

She did feel bad for her. This town was so small and nothing exciting ever happened in it that the story of some random dude breaking up with someone just happened to be the talk of the town. Most of these people needed lives. It was pretty bad. It was like watching someone walk around with a giant scarlet letter on their chest, waiting for someone to make comments from it.

The little bird had a feeling that Ms. Moore's stupid ex wanted that to happen. She could understand why he was single. He was a piece of shit know-it-all that thought his shit was better than everyone else's.

Just like any other Bass she had met in this crumby, boring place. It cemented in her mind that people like them needed to be knocked down a few pegs. And if winning a horse competition would do that...well, good. She'd like to rub it in all their faces. When Robyn got home, she locked her bike up in the shed and opened the door to see her father drinking a large cup of coffee with the JUMPING BEAN logo. He was looking over files, catching a glance at her as she entered.

"Out later than usual, today." He said.

Robyn put the money on the table, predicting where her father's line of questioning would end. Nip it in the bud from the start. It was the only way to handle having a detective cop as a father. "I was helping the Moores out. Sell their baked goods. Why do you drink from that place anyway? You know my teacher has her own coffee."

He looked at the cup and shrugged. "The office manager comes in with all our orders. I never really thought about it."

"Well, it's jerk coffee, so you're drinking from jerks."

He closed the vanilla folder putting the cup to the side. "This isn't about a cup of coffee; what's going on here?" He watched his daughter's nose scrunch as she held in a big huff of air. "We can go back to you telling me I'm drinking from Jerks, but we both know that's not why you're angry."

"This town is stupid!" she fired back. "It's so stupid. You have one family-run everything, and if they don't own it, they piss all over you so they can take it themselves or do it better. I have to deal with it at school with the stupid headbands which have the teachers wrapped around their pinkies, and Ms. Moore has to deal with it because of her ex, and you're just drinking stupid coffee that they own."

Her father raised his brow. Why did it make her more frustrated? "You know what I'm talking about!"

"The Bass family?"

"Nichole's stupid mom is now running her own stupid horse training school, and her uncle came in telling Ms. Moore to quit, making fun of her." She watched her father open his mouth about to ask a question, then, for some reason, decided not to. He just nodded. In a way, she appreciated it because not everything was about work...or whatever he had going on in his head. She needed him to just be a Dad right now.

"I think it's a nice thing you stayed and helped them then," he finally said. "150 is a lot for a middle schooler, though. Maybe we should set up a bank account?"

"Dad."

"Saving is a very important life skill."

"Dad!"

"Not the point. I get it. The Moores are good people; just let me know in the future. Ok, sport?" He let her huff it out. "Look. Do people like the Basses? They think they're lucky, but eventually, it runs out. What we put out in the universe, we get back one way or the other. Their time where they have to answer for what they do will come. You just keep your head high and keep being you."

"Can you at least throw away the coffee?"

She was lucky he loved her more than a good cup of coffee. He gave a soft smile. "Sure, kiddo. That's fine."

Emily accepted the cup of tea gratefully. She loved coffee. Coffee was life. She learned how it was made, she bought a brand that helped poor people in another country but grown organically. She did her research before buying to make sure she knew exactly where it was coming from and it's from a place she supports.

That being said, Emily did enjoy a nice cup of tea every now and then. So she sipped on the warm liquid half wishing it was alcohol.

While holding the cup she looked over at her sister and froze. Her sister just told her she quit her job. Just like that. Then she slammed her with the fact that she broke up with Ryan. They had been together a while. She knew how her sister felt and knew that this was big. Scratch that. This was huge. She didn't interrupt her sister while she was talking fearing that if she did she would stop. She didn't want her sister to stop, she wanted her to open up to her.

They may not be blood but they were closer than that and she did really care and love Molly.

Reaching out she laid her hand on her sisters hand. "I'm really sorry to hear about Ryan. Thank you for telling me, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. Just remember that I am here whenever you are ready."

At the mention of her ex she sighed and sunk back in to the couch a little more. She really hated that man.

"Nicholas is really good at getting people to do what they normally wouldn't do. I support you no matter what so you quitting your job? Girl power! Stick it to the man! I don't know your company or the people who work there, just know that Nicholas is REALLY good at getting what he wants. A company who is very closed lip about their employees? Just a small obstacle in the life of Nicholas Bass."

Pushing her hair from her face she looked down at her tea in the cup. Was she ok? Not really. It's been a really tough go of things and their parents .... it's just a lot on top of everything else she deals with daily.

Downing the rest of her tea she set the cup on the side table and gave her sister a smile.

"Not really but I will be. Nothing like a good bounce back story right?"

She quit her job.

Seeing Em's eyes widen as she mentioned only solidified that maybe she was crazy after all. Like she told that little kid, sometimes crazy was needed to get things done. Em said she didn't have to talk about it, but maybe that was wrong. Molly felt uncomfortable in her own skin; her knees close to her chest as she tried to find the words. Opening her mouth, it felt dry,,, like something was stuck in her throat.

"We just wanted different things..." She didn't think they wanted different things before the trip. It was a weird feeling. The past month, it was easier not to talk about it. If she didn't talk about it, she wouldn't have to admit that it was real and it was happening. She looked up,,, trying to prevent the tears from falling down her eyes, but it wasn't working. She wiped the tears. "I wanted the same things when we started dating,,, and he...I don't know...it just changes. Long-distance relationships are very hard,,, I guess."

And at this point the whole world, or at least this town, knew about it. Bass made sure of it. Fucking Bass. "Whether or not, Bass has the ability to do that, doesn't make it right. That's my private information just out there. It's very difficult being in the workforce. If you're too strong, you're difficult to work with. If you're too meak, you get steamrolled. There is a constant reminder that women are not there. Most of your bosses are men, who say and do inappropriate things. Where HR just believes showing a training video solves the problem." She tapped her finger on the cup. "I've never heard my male coworkers have outside concern when they end their personal relationships. I'm not allowing people to treat me that way."

Maybe it wasn't for her anyways. She didn't know what she wanted or what she was supposed to do, but she knew without a shadow of a doubt that she didn't want that. It posed a bigger problem though. One that she needed to talk to Em about. "Did Dad ever talk to you about finances?"

It was hard to swallow.

"I know he was very prideful. Mom would be the one to talk to me...but they were struggling. I gave money whenever they needed it. Like when the tractor broke down, or to cover the vet bills when there was an outbreak with the cows." In reality, she helped out a lot. "I'll probably lease out my apartment in Boston, get a steady revenue stream there to help here...but we might be in trouble. I never asked how bad it was...but is it bad Em?"

Not once did Emily ever believe her sister was crazy. A little impulsive but never crazy. Most would say she was but Emily wouldn’t, that’s because she knows her sister. She loves her sister. They really do make a great pair.

Emily said nothing when Molly started to talk about what happened with her and Ryan.

“It’s really hard when people grow in different directions. I’m really sorry this happened. I’m even more sorry that you have to deal with this on top of other things.” She said softly. It’s hard to lose your parents but it’s a lot to lose your parents after a really bad break up. Two large things in such a short time.

Emily was impressed with how well her sister was keeping it together. She might not be ok, she might be struggling but she was pushing through it.

Sighing she tilted her head back to lay it on the back of the couch, looking at the ceiling. She was just so tired, not just physically but every other way as well. It was so much at a time and she just really missed their parents.

They may not be her blood, they were better than that and she missed them. They were the ones who took her in when no one else wanted her. They loved her at her worst and taught her how to be her best. They helped her realize who she was and that she was a person and not an object to be passed around. They gave her a sister and a home.

Pushing her hair from her face she titled her head a little so she could look at her sister without lifting her head off the back of the couch.

“It’s not as bad as Nicholas made it sound but …” She sighed again. She was getting really good at this sighing thing. She should be, she’s had a lot of practice lately. “Daddy didn’t really like to talk about it but Momma and I would talk. I know by accident that you would send money. Daddy wasn’t proud of it but he was proud of you.” Sitting up she rested her elbows on her knees. “If I can figure out a few things with the café I should bring in a little more to help with expenses. The café is paid off, so we aren’t paying on it, the only thing that I pay is for the ingredients and utilities.”

The reason for that is she saved all her money as she was growing and then saved most of what Nicholas gave her as an ‘allowance’. She would spend most so that he wouldn’t realize what she was doing but she would always put some back. Which is why she was able to buy the café outright.

“We might need that degree brain of yours to figure out some fancy manueverings but I think we should be ok.” She gave a small shrug. “Sell more of the creature stuff like milk, fluff and other things. Maybe get the vegetables and fruits canned and sold more. Things that could help.” She shrugged again. “Then again you might look at the finances later and tell me I am stupid and we are worse off than I realized.”

"Em...our parents are bigger than stupid boys," her sleeve wiped her eye, but it was too late. The sniffle huff came out before the tears fell. "That's something we are both going through. I'm your sister; we should go through that together." That meant Ryan just needed to be insignificant. He was going to be shoved down deep, however deep it needed to be. This wasn't to say her feelings were not significant. It was to say that she valued family more...and he made it blatantly clear that he was not family.

Dad was proud of her...
Probably Mom too...

Mom loved the adventures and the stories. Molly knew that her mother would have traveled the world in a heartbeat, but she stayed in this little town because she loved Dad. Dad would have the family vacation in the backyard; that was how much he loved this place. A lot of what Molly talked about went over his head. But he knew she was forging her own path and was making something of herself. He didn't have to understand it to be proud.

As Emily talked, rambling a few ideas, Molly arched her brow. The silence lasting a good beat or two. "Why would I think that's stupid?" She asked.

She jumped in a straight sitting position; her gaze completely focused on her sister. "Why stop at just selling jars? Dad and Mom have a lot of land. There's a farm in Maine where a bunch of college kids goes to pet the cows. They do it for therapy, and they post pictures and everything about it." She opened her phone, passing her sister the device on an Instagram page. "They make their own soap, candles, ice cream...all from their cows. That place is great."

Em would notice that there were many photos of Molly with the cows on the company's Instagram page. She was beat red as she noticed taking the phone back. "Ok, so maybe I found out it was a young person hang out because I too...am very, very stressed, and it's not like I can lay out in the barn in the city. Ok?"

She needed to focus and get back on task. Molly let out a breath, trying to keep up with her last thought. "Anyway, you already train horses. Sure Bass will throw money to get the best of the best for champions or whatever bullshit. We don't need the best; we just need to be the place people go to. To relax, to have a good experience." It was like when they were kids. Em rode horses; Molly treated the animals like therapists.

One of the cows was pregnant.

ONE OF THE COWS WAS PREGNANT.

"I got a crazy idea. What if...to promote your bakery or horse riding...we di24-hourhour live stream of our cows. One's about to give birth. Then you're going to have all these people just looking at our baby calf."

Why was she stupid? Because every time she came up with an idea Nicholas and/or his whole family told her so. It didn’t matter what it was she was talking about or how much she knew. She was stupid. Told many times to just keep her pretty little mouth shut, all she needed to do was smile. That and she didn’t go to college like her sister, didn’t have the smarts like she did so it was only logical that she wouldn’t be as smart.

All she did was shrug a little.

Emily listened to Molly’s ideas and nodded. Most of that was doable. They might need to see if they can get someone to help but they could manage it. Maybe even use the goats milk so there is more of a variety.

Interesting. This could actually work. She could play with flavors.

Pushing her hair from her face she looked at her sister. “That could be easy enough. The cows are pretty people friendly. The goats love people and food. A few of the horses would be good to give small rides. We could set up places someone can go and just sit and just exist.”

Emily laughed softly and stood up, stretching her body a little. “I mean, I don’t get the appeal of watching a cow being born but if you think it’s something people want.” She gave another shrug.

“I also like your idea of taking the baked goods that did sell around. Maybe that’s how Robyn can earn money. I can’t hire her since she’s too young but that is a good way she could earn money.”

Yawning she grabbed her cup off the table and then grabbed Molly’s empty cup. “I am going to head to my room, I think I am done for today. Kathy is going to take over the café tomorrow because I need to run some errands for the farm. Did you want more tea?”

She had to pick up feed, hay, supplements, water savers tablets, mineral blocks, salt blocks and a bunch of other things. She had picked up small amounts since her parents funeral but it wasn’t enough. Now she had to get the regular amount.

And she really needed to get Nicholas out of her head. There was a lot that her and Molly needed to think about. There are bunch of ideas and they didn’t sound half bad, most of them pretty doable. Things she didn’t think about because she dealt with it every day.

Two Days Later...

5:30 AM

When Robyn lost her mother, Harvey thought it would be a good idea to get a grief counselor. If there was one thing he didn't want to share with his daughter, it was losing a parent when you're a kid. In his circumstance, it was his father. Died unexpectedly from a heart attack. The beat cop in their suburban town who checked in on his mom ended up becoming his stepdad. A lot happened in that time of his life. What he did know was the anger bottled up in the sadness. Mom did her best, God bless her, but it would have benefited him if he had someone to talk to.

He didn't want Robyn to end up close to juvie before she had that wake-up call. So...in came Mrs. Cobb. Mrs. Cobb, lovely woman. She had a lot to say about him. One thing, in particular, was that he brought his curiosity and work into every conversation with his daughter. Sometimes, the best thing a parent could do was listen. Sometimes people need to express emotion instead of trying to get the problem solved. His wife was pretty good at reigning him in. Mrs. Cobb was still in Detroit...but it didn't take her advice any less true when his daughter was heated over the Bass family.

Now, Robyn didn't want him to dig a little deeper into the Basses. No, she just wanted her Dad to listen. It took everything in his power to nod along and be there. It didn't mean he didn't tuck it away. The following day he may have gotten up early and taken a drive around town. He might have pulled up to a different coffee shop and bought a few boxes of joe for the station. He might have then written a few of the businesses that were getting boxes of coffee from the Jumping Bean in a notepad. He managed to beat the office manager in with his coffee, and surprisingly enough, Harvey won the better coffee that day.

He couldn't really complain if a good cup of coffee was chasing a lead. That was probably a cop's favorite kind of lead. This morning he arrived at 5:30 AM on the dot with a page in his notepad from cops asking if he could get their kind of coffee. Guess it wasn't just him that noticed that this was a better cup than the one they went to. This morning, it wasn't the girl he saw the day before. No, it was Ms. Moore herself.

"Morning," He tipped his hat politely.

That last couple of days had been better. Nicholas hadn’t shown up again and all the errands had been made. The creatures are all fed and happy, and will be fed and happy for a month or two. Molly and her had ideas to start bringing this place up and running well.

That and her new shipment of coffee beans came in. They smelled so good! She was so excited to start experimenting with them. Most people don’t realize that there are so many ways you can play with coffee to change the flavor profiles. Hot water, cold water, blended then frozen, from frozen, let sit for a while, cook immediately, boil. All. Kinds. Of. Ways.

Emily loved playing and finding the different profiles.

Biting her lower lip gently she squinted at the coffee beans on the counter. “Talk to me little bean, whatcha got for me?” She whispered, hoping it would talk to her. It was how she always started the experimenting. She always did it at this time because there was rarely anyone here at this time. She was just starting to get in to the battle of wills with the bean when the bell over the door sounded.

Jumping slightly, almost guiltily, she looked over and saw it was the detective. Her other employee had mentioned that he came in and ordered a few different coffees. Something that him and other cops haven’t done before. Now here he was again.

Looking him over she noticed that he had a notepad paper in hand, causing her to frown a little bit.

“Good morning detective. Nice surprise to see you here this morning. How can I help you?”

Emily was nervous. She had never been nervous around him before. Before it had been about Robyn and her riding but then … he was the one to tell her about her parents and deal with all that. She hadn’t talked to him much since then so the fact he gave her the worse news in her life was still fresh. So she was a little nervous, her leg bouncing behind the counter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back