• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Night’s Embrace | Private |

Rose nodded her head at his words, pleased to hear that he knew her well enough by that point. “I only do so because you deserve to know just how much I appreciate you.” Her words weren’t a jest or a tease. They were completely genuine, something that she was doing more and more often with him. She cleared her throat gently, the faint smile still on her lips. “Besides, who would I be if I didn’t? I cannot think of a time where I didn’t thank anyone even if it was the most menial of tasks.” She confessed with a weak laugh. She felt at ease around him, helping her to feel comfortable in confessing such things to him. After what he had spoken the night before, it showed that he felt the same around her. It was a vast improvement from the way they had been when they first met. She was grateful to have grown with him in this way. She wouldn’t have changed it if she could’ve gone back, knowing that the gods allowed for things to happen in odd ways.

She took a few steps across the kitchen to the stack of herbs that sat by the window. She pulled a variety of stems before returning back to his side. She began to carefully pull the leaves from their stems before placing them on the cutting board. “I am sure my father would be rather upset to not have the joy of killing the man himself. I have a feeling it would bring us both more satisfaction to see him suffer anyways.” Blaine had always left a sour-taste in her mouth. She couldn’t wait to testify to her father about the crimes the man had committed. It was one of the many things that she believed kept her going throughout these past few months. Now, of course, her mind had shifted and focused on cultivating her new life here with Emory at her side. Still, she would find great joy in seeing Blaine perish. Her fingers carefully ripped the basil leaves into smaller pieces. She placed what she had finished with into a mortar. She added some salt to it before she carefully used the pestle to smash it into a paste.

A silence fell between them as she did so, though she didn’t mind. Just having him beside her was enough to keep her at ease. She pushed the mortar to the side once she was finished with it and began to pick the thyme leaves off of their stem. The mention of her family brought a soft smile back to her face. “I hope so. I haven’t seen them all in such a long time. I cannot even remember the last time I have seen some of my sisters.” She confessed. The eldest had been married off while she was young. The rest were already in the process of looking for suitors by the time she could fully understand what was happening. She looked over to him at his mutter, raising an eyebrow slightly. “You really should soon. We will be leaving soon and I know she will not want to rush her work. I am sure she will be overjoyed that you will be wanting something new though. She almost couldn’t believe that you were even housing me, let alone courting me. I hadn’t even had to mention the latter, she seemed to just know.” She mused, recalling her visit to the seamstress fondly.

She paused as she pulled the pieces of thyme off of the stem. “If you get too uncomfortable around everyone, I am keeping the offer open for us to go to the gardens. If they keep the musicians in the same spot, we can hear them from there and dance without any worry of people watching us.” She reminded. She set aside the thyme that she had finished, deciding it would be enough. She repeated the same with some sage and oregano before stepping around him to grab one of the pots that she had seen Viola use many times before. She began to put the vegetables that Emory had already cut into it before placing it where Emory could continue to put the remaining vegetables in. “I even grew tired of being around so many nobles. It is exhausting trying to keep conversation when everyone is trying to be kind to you in order to gain praise from the king.” She commented. She sprinkled some salt onto the vegetables already in the pot before moving to grab the herbs and the paste she created.

“Mm, that is something I am looking forward to. The gossip won’t be nearly as exciting as seeing the expressions of everyone once we step into the ballroom. That is something I wish I could have painted to remember forever.” Her tone lightened, clearly joking by the end. She was looking forward to seeing everyone’s reaction to the two. With the kingdom believing she was dead and Emory having his reputation as well as rarely making pubic appearances, the two were sure to be the talk of the country for quite some time.

"I suppose it would be quite awhile for you." After all, Emory was quite aware that Rose's older sisters had been married off to the various kingdoms scattered around the continent. Although these other kingdoms were far smaller in scale and wasn't even a fraction as powerful as the mainland, still having the connections that came through marriage had kept the Barclay family line in power for quite some time... even if they were indeed an annoying thorn in the side for rogue lords like Emory. "I haven't really seen them myself aside from when I was.. what.. eighteen?" And then again, he only got a vague look at one of the sisters, not knowing or caring who she was; and the feeling was obviously mutual. After all, when he had announced his sudden rise to power and unashamedly admitted to slaughtering his family, as well as placing out the bold threat that any who dared even think of crossing him would meet their fate... well, that had caused him to not look too good in the royal family's eyes. A grimace crossed his face at the memory, "I don't think I left the best impression. I wouldn't be surprised if they still think of me as a madman." He had been relatively unhinged after he had taken over the manor, far less mature than he was currently. But it was to be expected, his first taste of freedom was addicting, and it left him trying to make himself far more dangerous than what he was capable of at that time.

At her next words, Emory huffed, "I know. It just slipped my mind, I would have gotten it done sooner but... with everything so busy lately..." A frown crossed his face as he added, "Plus, she exhausts me just listening to her." Parnell was always a whirlwind of energy, and far too touchy for his liking. He always would pinch his expression in disgust unintentionally every time she so much as place a hand on him, which resulted in him making the poor woman more nervous whenever Emory would absolutely have to visit her shop, resulting in her talking his ears off in nervous chatter. Of course, he didn't mean to frighten the woman, but what was done was done. "I'll send Mathias later." Of course, Mathias being the rather unfriendly sentry that had appeared at the manor when Emory had been injured after Freycrest, and also the one who had been one of his first sentries to train. He knew the sentry probably wouldn't appreciate being sent on something as minor as this, but.. Emory really couldn't deal with Parnell, despite knowing she was completely harmless.

"Though, I can't say I'm surprised that she was shocked... I still can't believe it sometimes myself." A bit of amusement had managed to slip into his tone at that. Falling for Rose was the one thing he didn't think he was capable of doing, though perhaps it was because of how utterly odd she was. And her confession to him certainly threw him for a loop. Though, as the conversation turned to what they would do if Emory grew too overwhelmed, resulting in the man chuckling as he said, "If that's the case, I would like to hide there immediately... but I know that's impossible." He shook his head, cutting away at the other vegetables Rose needed, "There's no need to try to keep me comfortable, Rose. Besides, I'll have to get used to it anyways." After all, it wouldn't just stop at the ball, there would be plenty of invitations that would flood in alone from that, and Emory could take the time to keep an eye on things in the kingdom, just to catch up on everything personally than through the information he received from his sentries.

Emory had chuckled a bit at her joke, now sliding the chopped vegetables over to her, "I fear that'll be the only thing that will be talked about for a few months." After all, the nobility liked to gossip. It probably would be the main topic of every tea party and any event from now until probably the end of the year, or unless a bigger event outshined this one.

She nodded her head at his words. “I am most excited to see my father though. The age difference between my sisters and I never really allowed for us to properly form a relationship. Besides, I was always my father’s favorite daughter and I am not saying that just to brag.” She stated with a soft laugh. Her father had assured her many times that she reminded him most of her dear mother that had passed when she was young. She also bore the most resemblance to the queen. “I had heard about that night not long after it happened. I can recall just how shocked I was someone would admit such crimes like that. The handmaidens gossiped about you for months afterwards.” She confessed with a slight shake of her head. “Everyone thought you were quite handsome for, as they loving put it, ‘a raging lunatic that would be the death of them all.’” She recalled the words that had been passed around the hallways of the kingdom with a soft laugh. She glanced to him as she put the paste into the pot. The scent of the rolls were beginning to fill the room.

She placed the mortar down to be washed later and grabbed a few towels. She then carefully removed the rolls from the oven. She placed the hot pan to the side before grabbing sugar and some honey. She sprinkled the sugar on top and then drizzled some honey as well. She intended to put more honey on them right before they were served. “Well I am glad that you remembered. It would’ve been truly terrible if you had waited until the last moment. I have hopes we will stun everyone with how incredible we are to look.” She spoke truthfully. It was the reason she had gotten her gown in the maroon shade she had. She knew it was far different than the light pastels everyone else was to wear. She wanted to make a statement with her appearance. She placed the honey near the pan before turning to face him fully. “She is just a rather excitable woman. I offered to take her to visit the kingdom at some point and she almost fainted. She couldn’t stop thanking me for wanting to wear one of her dresses to such an important ball,” She paused, a gentle smile playing on her lips. “She did worry you might kill her when I first arrived. Supposedly many of the villagers believe that due to your hatred of my father, you could never appreciate my company.”

The thought in itself was rather amusing to her now that she knew what she did. She placed a gentle kiss to his cheek once more, her mood beginning to improve as the conversation had shifted away from the gloom of her past. “Well I am grateful I managed to win your heart. It was quite the task, but now I have you wrapped around my finger.” Her words were a clear joke, smile growing as she spoke. She waited patiently for him to finish chopping the vegetables that were remaining. She knew there was a stock that she could use that Viola stored to help complete the stew. “I do not mind stepping away whenever you need to. It will be the first ball I have attended in ages and I know it will be too much for me as well.” She assured, tone growing a bit more serious. She truly wouldn’t mind doing whatever he needed. She wouldn’t push him out of his comfort zone. “We can decline many of the invitations that come. I am sure most of them will just want to keep an eye on us anyways to help report back to my father that you have no intention of holding me hostage or such.”

She clicked her tongue and carefully grabbed the vegetables he finished chopping. She placed them into the pot and put the remaining herbs in as well as more salt. She put the pot over the fire then. “I guess that is the one negative thing from your declaration when you were younger. But it is always fun to keep the nobility on their toes.” She confessed with a soft chuckle. She moved to grab the stock and carefully added it to the pot. She then covered it to let it sit. She looked over to the dough she had set aside, deciding it had risen enough. She placed it carefully into another tray and then put it into the oven. “I cannot wait to hear all the variations that come from their discussions of us. It will be rather amusing.” She agreed.

Emory chuckled in response, "I'm not surprised that you are. The youngest usually gets all the attention... most times." Something that he'd seen in passing during his childhood years of other families when the Mays hosted tea parties and other social events. The adults back then from other noble families always seemed to give their youngest children more spotlight, primarily their daughters due to wanting to achieve good marriages for them for the future. Sons on the other hand could be either or, considering knighthood was what awaited most male children, or if they accomplished much in their younger years. Of course, Emory had been denied such attention from his own experience through no fault of his own, but there was nothing that could be done about that now.

An amused chuckle left his lips in regards to the rumors that had spread, "Why am I not surprised they would be focused on my appearance?" Emory knew well enough that he wasn't a bad looking man, he was even quite an adorable boy when he was younger, perhaps from good genes from his biological parents. Maridel when she was alive had been a heart stopper and Laurence Barker was still a relatively handsome man even in his older years, it was reasonable to assume that Emory would be quite the attractive man himself. And it wasn't as if he were ignorant to it either. There were plenty of young women that tried to catch his eye during the rare public appearances he had been permitted to go to by Lord May. Much to his elder half-brother's jealousy, Emory had quite the long list of admirers... though he repelled each and every one of them with his cold personality.

"But 'raging lunatic' wasn't too far off from the truth." He chuckled a bit, "I probably had threatened a few noblewomen after that initial announcement if they got too close. Probably soured more than enough people's impression of me." It didn't seem like it bothered him much, more so an amusing memory he could think back and laugh at, "Though, I am glad you didn't cross paths with me before now. I honestly think we wouldn't have gotten along when I was younger." Emory back then was still reeling and dealing with the fresh deaths he had on his hands, and there was only an eight year gap from when he had been freed from the Black Market, so the trauma was even more fresh then than it was now. Plus, he wouldn't have wanted to be around people, much less women, something that he was slowly beginning to overcome now bit by bit... even if it extended only to certain women.

"Hmm... 'excitable' indeed.." He grumbled that a bit, rolling his eyes in response, though he snorted at the mention of Parnell thinking he would have been ready to kill her when Rose had arrived, "The thought, although tempting... is certainly a leap." It was a bit difficult to tell if he was joking or not, but eventually a smile had managed to cross his face as he shrugged, "Now, if it was before I even knew you well enough then yes. That would be a real possibility. But, I have a feeling that the people that live here are just depending on the protection I offer. Not that I mind." After all, Emory had been a more aggressive lord than the previous Lord May, taking matters into his own hands to defend his borders against threats inside and outside. The former Lord May was soft, a bit too soft, and was actually sympathetic to the crown. If Emory hadn't suddenly taken over, it would be likely that the territory would have been annexed into the kingdom; and the title of 'lord' would have been stripped and replaced to be mere 'Counts' underneath the kingdom's hold, the lowest rank of nobility.

Her next words caused him to raise an eyebrow at her, "Me wrapped around your finger? Are you sure it's not the other way around?" He joked back, although knowing full well that Rose could indeed break him down with just stubborn asking alone. But, even he was well aware he would do anything to secure happiness for Rose, no price was too great if it was to keep her safe and secure. His gaze shifted to what Rose was doing then, albeit he knew not the first thing when it came to cooking himself. After all, it wasn't like the man had the best life in regards to food, being capable of eating what would be considered garbage if he was hungry enough. But the smell alone in the kitchen was making his mouth water a little, certainly looking forward to the end result.

"Hmm? Well... that is true enough." His tone had become a bit more serious then, considering it though he said in a gentler tone, "I will let you know then if it gets too much for me to handle. But, you should enjoy yourself while you're there. Don't allow me to get in the way of that, understand?" It was his tone that became firm with that last sentence, as he had already an anxious feeling about the upcoming ball that he couldn't shake. However, he would not voice it yet as he didn't want to dampen Rose's mood. She had every right to have a wonderful experience, her needs far eclipsed his own.

"Keeping them on their toes? Well, yes. I am looking forward to at least seeing some angry faces, although I'm sure they'll be trying to hide it." Emory's gaze followed Rose as she had moved to the oven, "Some jealous faces too is inevitable though..." He trailed off, though immediately slamming down on the train of thought. No need to allow himself to think any further down that path, otherwise his light mood will indeed take a turn for the worse.

She tilted her head at his original statement, a flash of concern coming into her eyes. She hoped he hadn’t been thinking back on what occurred with him too much at that moment in time. She had been doing everything in her power to try to ease him away from it. It seemed to have been working for the portion of the day they had spent together, but she hoped to keep it going for as long as she could. “I like to think of it as not because I was the youngest, but because I was the best out of my sisters. Now, I might be inflaming my own ego in saying such but it was true. I was the most beautiful, the smartest, and clearly the most talented. It was a shame that no one else could see that other than me.” She joked, unable to contain the laugh that bubbles out of her lips. She did consider herself each of the things that she listed, but not nearly to the extent she had been saying.

She let out a soft hum then, her eyes beginning to shine once more. The gloom from the memories that came to her mind had faded. “Apparently you were quite the swooner, even if you had threatened anyone to stepped near you that night. I can recall finding the description of your attractive when I listened in on the gossip. Though, there were instances where some exaggerated what you had looked like that evening,” She paused as she tried to think back on a few of the things that had been said. It was quite some time ago then. “Ah, there was one of the noble ladies that proclaimed you had fresh blood on your face when you came barging into the ballroom and another said your gloves were stained with blood. I truthfully never believed any of those. In fact, I gave you the benefit of the doubt even back then.” She confessed. She shrugged her shoulders somewhat, leaning lightly against the table. “I suppose I have always been quite the optimist.”

“Oh you most certainly did. I believe you even insulted my father, though he didn’t bother acting on it.” She was thinking back on everything rather fondly. The way in which Emory had shifted the conversation after her confessions was exactly what she had needed. What she had spoken before was the farthest thing from her mind at that moment. “Who knows? We might’ve. I am sure you would say the same thing if we discussed my arrival at the mansion in the same light. I take pride in knowing just how to get people to like me. It is a princess’s duty.” She spoke firmly while nodding her head once as she did, almost like she was mimicking her father. It caused another laugh to leave her.

Her hands reached to grab the knife that he had been using to chop the vegetables as well as the mortar and pestle. She brought it to the small washbasin that sat in the kitchen then and carefully began to wash them. Her muscles were still aching and she truly couldn’t wait until she was able to sit down, but she knew she would be able to soon. “You are a much better lord than you night think yourself to be. I know that there are some that do not like you and do not understand what happened here that night, but you have saved them all from joining the kingdom. While I love my father and my home, I know that those under your protection would much rather prefer to keep it that way. They are quite happy with the way things are.” It was clear she had been able to speak with many of the villagers on her trips into town. Even though she hadn’t been able to change their minds on their opinions about her father, they certainly seemed to like her. It warmed her heart just thinking about it, especially since she was eventually going to be wed to Emory.

A soft snort broke through her lips as she placed the items she just washed aside and grabbed a towel. She dried her hands and then dried the items. “I could ask you to leap into the air and you would ask like a rabbit or a frog.” She teased. She carefully grabbed the knife handle before bringing it back to where it was kept. She paused to look towards him at his next words. Her eyes softened and a smile lit up her face. “I understand. I am going to have a wonderful time no matter what as long as I am with you.” She assured. She then grabbed the mortar and pestle, moving across the room to put it away. She kneeled to put it back into the cabinet where she pulled it from.

She stood fully then, turning to face him. The mention of jealous faces was not something that she had expected for him to say. A playful smirk came to her lips as she took a few steps towards him. “Well you needn’t worry about anyone staring us down with jealousy. I only have eyes for you and truly couldn’t care for any other man who might try to get in that way of that.” She promised. She moved back to his side, carefully grabbing his hands in her own. She had grown used to the feeling of her calloused fingers in her own hands. “I know you despise when I say it, but I truly am so grateful for everything you have done and continue to do for me. So, thank you Emory. I really would be lost without you.”

Emory couldn't help but break into a bit of laughter at her boasting about herself, though the laugh was quiet, he couldn't help but roll his eyes at her, "Oh, yes. Please do proclaim how great you are! I truly am unworthy." However, Emory had to admit that he did find Rose the most attractive out of all of her siblings... probably due to a personal bias now, obviously being their relationship. And she certainly never ceased to impress him; being far different than other noblewomen who he had very small interactions with. He chuckled as he added in a warmer tone, "Never change." He never wanted to have her personality change, as it was her all too bizarrely cheerful self that had forced the closed off lord to open up to her.

Emory tilted his head as she had begun to relay the rumors, though the absurdity of it all had made the man shake his head, "Even if I was quite... 'wild' back then, it seems like they really had taken some creative liberties." He chuckled a bit more at that, "I can assure you, I didn't show up with blood on me. I made sure that I looked presentable back then, granted with Viola's help. But, I still appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt. It seems like your optimism had done wonders to put me in your favor." Emory hadn't been in the best mental state, so even doing simple tasks was a challenge for perhaps weeks afterward. It wasn't someplace he wanted to return to.

The man's eyebrows furrowed as he struggled to remember just what he had said to insult the king back then, "Hmm... I vaguely remember doing so... let me see... ah, right. Parasite. I think I called him a parasite. I definitely remember calling him such when he was asking about the lands that he was eyeing under the former Lord May's control. It was the first thing I could come up with on a moments notice, but I am grateful that he at least decided that the insult wasn't worth the effort." It probably was because he was just a boy, so naturally most would dismissed an unhinged young man's insults. More laughter left his lips at Rose's following statement as well as the nod of her head, "Oh no, please don't turn into him! I don't think I can handle two of your father. One is already too many!"

His smile had faded in regards to his role as lord, and that he had done a decent job. "Perhaps.. but I'm sure some would prefer the former Lord May over either my leadership or your father's. I know Merewin certainly does." As soft as his precedessor was, the man was charismatic and charming. Every villager loved him dearly due to his warm nature and acts of kindness, a polar opposite from how he had been when Emory had came to darken his door, and the truth of his one-sided love had come to bite him, breaking the man's fragile heart and turning him into nothing more than a monster to Emory's eyes. The former Lord May was a people person, an open book and truly a kind and benevolent soul... if only Emory hadn't shown up then maybe... maybe things would have been different.

Before his mood could dampen; he pushed the thought aside, now refocusing on Rose again which caused him to roll his eyes at her yet again, "Spare me. I'm not that obedient, I can still bite." He teased back, grinning a devilish smile back at her only for it to break as her expression soften and her words caused his heart to warm. "Well, I certainly hope so." If she was content at his side, he wouldn't question it.

However her next words had caused Emory's expression to become unreadable for a few moments, her gentle touch once more coming into contact with his hands. The warm pressure of her hands causing pleasant tingles upon his skin as his golden eyes seemed almost hesitant, though he heaved a sigh. "I do not despise your gratitude, I'm just... not used to it. Not yet." A hand had slipped from one of her own, coming up to rest upon her cheek, his thumb brushing against the soft skin, "...I had promised myself to protect you quite some time ago, so this is merely me fulfilling that... granted I'm fairly sure you didn't hear me considering you were ill when I promised such a thing." Admitting this little bit of information was a bit embarrassing, causing a faint bit of red to touch the man's face as he now couldn't look her directly in her eyes. "I think... I'm terrified of the thought of losing you forever.."

His tone seemed sad, but honest. Rose was the single light in his life right now, and he had admitted her importance to him before in the hideaway when he had been furious with her. He didn't fear much, but the possibility of losing her either through death or any other means where she would be out of reach did terrify him.

The shift in the air was easily noticeable to her. Despite their teasing tones, passing comments back and forth to one another with ease, the seriousness of their words were finally settling the lightness that had come between them. It wasn’t as if Rose had minded. She did her best the night before to assure him that she had no intentions of leaving him, that she believed he was more than enough for her. She meant each word she had said then and would do whatever was necessary to continue to reassure him then. It was a rather intimate moment, one that she felt the two deserved after the horrors that had been through. Both of them recently removed the terrible memories of their past, plus they almost lost each other due to the occurrences at Freycrest. She didn’t know which gods she should possibly thank for the mercy that had been shown to them. She just knew she was going to forever treasure each moment she spent with him. While it may be hard to convince him that she would, she vowed to for as long as she lived.

There was a brief silence that settled over the two of them as she studied his expression, hoping to find some reaction to what she had said. His assurance was welcome, her shoulders releasing a bit of the tenseness that had her muscles coiled. “It is a habit that I have always had. I find it better to let those know that I appreciate their actions rather than let them wonder. I feel as though you deserve to hear it the most out of anyone I have had the pleasure of spending time with.” Her confession was quiet and she didn’t feel the need to elaborate on her reasoning as to why. The gentle touch of his fingers to his cheek caused for a soft blush to form on her cheeks. The pink shade was light, barely noticeable in the lighting of the room. She leaned her head gently into his touch as she had many times before.

The promise that he uttered all those weeks ago was one that she never would’ve expected to pass through his lips. Her eyebrows furrowed slightly, gaze still focused on his face. “I unfortunately hadn’t heard you. It must’ve been that evening I stumbled to your room. I was so feverish I can barely remember half of what happened that night.” She spoke truthfully, lips staying parted and eyes blinking a few times. Once decided on what she wanted to ask, she cleared her throat gently before speaking again. “Why had you made that promise to me back then? I believe that was when we barely spoke to one another.” She recalled. It was a valid question, one that she didn’t know he had an answer for. He had gone well out of his way to save her life when he easily could’ve allowed for her to die. In her mind, it didn’t make sense with the timeframe of their relationship.

The reminder of his fear was something still fresh in her memories. She could still see the terror in his eyes at the thought of her dying while he had been injured himself, unable to protect her. She could feel the trembling of his hands as he yelled the words to her, the smell of his burnt flesh from his wounds. It was a memory she doubted she would ever be able to fully shake away. She gave the hand that was still in her own grip a gentle, but reassuring squeeze then. “I have no intention of ever leaving you, not until the day I am destined to die. I know I have made very questionable decisions in the past that might’ve caused me to die before my time, but I will be more careful now.” She promised, her own words trembling slightly at the thought of being taken from him once more.

“I don’t want to leave you. I feel like I have finally found my peace by your side, whether you can allow yourself to believe it or not, and I am terrified of losing that as well.” Her voice had dropped into a whisper, emotion swelling in her tone.

Emory had to laugh a bit, though it was more one that was nervous surprisingly enough. A tinge of regret had settled into him for admitting the rather embarrassing promise he had muttered under his breath all those weeks ago, "Why? Why indeed..." It certainly had been during a time where he had no inclination of wanting to be close to her, finding her a puzzling and yet interesting individual that he was trying his best to figure out. "I want to say it was out of obligation through my duty as a lord, to you as my guest... but I feel it was... not exactly that either." He seemed a bit embarrassed as he now was remembering the overwhelming relief he had felt after her condition had begun to change for the better; that he had shed tears over her in the privacy of his own room. The faint red to his face ignited to a darker shade as he abruptly spoken, "N-never mind, forget I said anything." Obviously, his reaction was a bit suspicious, but perhaps the man had felt a bit more for her than what he had shown back then. A fault of him being lonely for so long, with her being persistent in her stubbornness to interact with him; and he having no idea what to feel that that point in time, perhaps his feelings had been developing since then? He didn't know for certain, as the man never had fallen in love before encountering Rose. She was quite literally his first love.

Yet, his face had begun to cool as the topic once more turned serious in regards to him reminding her of his fear. The gentle squeeze she had given his hand was soothing as the man's expression had gentled at her response. Her tone was trembling, reciprocating his own deep fear and further amplified by her final words to him that made his heart squeeze, a painful feeling but not unwelcome. "...I fear you're going to make me an incredibly selfish person.." His voice was soft, a gentler tone as his hand that rested upon her cheek had lightly caressed the side of her face, his golden eyes somber, "..Not that I wasn't before, but it seems as if I'll become much worse." He was a greedy man, allowing himself to do so after taking up his power to protect himself. But, never did he want something in his life more strongly than to have Rose at his side. "I truly don't know how I've survived so long without you." His tone seemed a bit stronger then, but more raw with emotion. Emory had no clue how he did it, but he certainly didn't want to repeat it again.

"I love you." Those words left his lips so naturally once more, his head leaning down to gently kiss her once more. A soft and sweet kiss, although brief as he whispered those three words in between each kiss he gave her, as if to not allow her to forget nor he. Although he didn't think of himself as a gentle or loving man, it seemed like his actions were betraying him as he remained absolutely as careful with her as possible, the soft press of his lips trailing from her own and slowly placing soft kisses upon her cheeks, her forehead and eventually over her jawline, his arms gently encircling her middle as he drew her tight against him; desiring to feel her body heat, wanting to know that she was indeed before him, that this wasn't a dream he would wake up from, that she was real.

Eventually, his kisses settled upon the side of her neck, remaining slow and soft. The sweet smell of her filled his nose, causing the man to sigh a bit exasperated with himself, "...I really am being too greedy.." The warmth of his breath brushed against her skin as he pulled away, although very reluctantly at that. Emory knew better, to not be too clingy, and besides as much as he desired to keep her mind off of her past, he didn't want to push things a bit too far. Plus, regardless on Rose reassuring him that she felt comfortable with him; memories of the day before was all too close for him to simply ignore, and knowing now the extent of Blaine's abuse to her, it just didn't seem right. I really am terrible.

The thought was a bit bitter, but his expression didn't show it, giving her a tiny smile and placing another soft kiss on her forehead, "Either way, I'll try to make sure you live the rest of your life how you want to." Whether it was at his side or not, Emory desired only the best for her. Of course, he chose to omit saying 'at his side or not', considering he also desired to be at her side for as long as he was able to. After all, the man didn't plan on dying anytime soon, and he did truly enjoy being at Rose's side, if only to see her happiness and nothing else. He would never force her to do anything she didn't want, exception being if her life was in danger. Of course, only then he would do whatever in his power to keep her safe, regardless on what he had to do.

Rose hadn’t expected for Emory to show the embarrassment that he had at her questioning. Her head tilted slightly, though she didn’t pull away from the gentle caressing of her cheek. It was a question she hadn’t been able to stop herself from asking. The words had slipped past her lips before she could fully process it all. “I do believe you were struggling even more with your emotions then. Maybe it was that or maybe it was something else. It is in the past now and we have managed to get to this point.” She commented in a weak attempt to ease him of his embarrassment. But by the way he added for her to forgot what was mentioned, she knew not to push it any farther. She figured he might’ve been feeling similarly to her without even realizing it due to protecting himself for such a long time. Whatever the reason be, she was grateful that it had worked out for them in the end. All that mattered to her was being with him now, truthfully.

It was reflected by the adoration she felt for him pooling in her eyes. The green of her irises held every ounce of her affection, gleaming and lightening every time she caught a glimpse of him. Her heart would swell at the sound of his voice. She could swear it would skip a beat at times. It only served to remind her how head-over-heels in love she was with him. She never felt this much affection for another before, not her family and more certainly not Blaine. “You deserve to be selfish Emory. You deserve to have exactly what you desire.” She confessed, voice still speaking in that same whisper. She knew that he was more than capable of taking what he pleased in the past. But in regards to their relationship, to the love that Emory was experiencing for the first time, she believed he had every right to keep her by his side for as long as he pleased. His tone was unlike anything she had heard from him before. The emotion in his voice was different than what she experienced the night before and it only caused that familiar aching in her chest to grow stronger.

“I love you too.” The words were a simple reply to the ones he spoke. It wasn’t the first time she had told him such a thing, wasn’t the first time that she confessed the attraction to him. Yet, it felt different. Maybe it was due to the vulnerability that was present for the both of them now or maybe it was something unspoken between them. She didn’t know and didn’t want to think on it any longer. She returned the short kiss, savoring each second that his lips were on her own. His beard tickled her chin and cheeks, a smile spreading on her face as he pulled back and uttered the three words once more. As the kisses began to pepper her face and eventually her jawline, she allowed soft giggles to leave her. Her arms gently wrapped around his neck, enjoying the heat of his body against her own.

She hadn’t wanted for him to pull away as soon as he did, wanting to stay wrapped in his arms for as long as she could. She returned her gaze back to his own then. She couldn’t find it in her to respond to his mumbles about his greediness as she didn’t believe he was being so in that moment. If she were in his shoes, she would spend every waking moment beside her. She would be clingy in a way she hadn’t been so far. Though the more that the two of them shared moments such as these, the more she wanted to hold his hand or wrap her arms around him in a gentle embrace. “And I you. That can be our one vow to each other; to never leave one another and to help the other live the life they want, the life they deserve.” The trembling had finally vanished from her tone. She returned his smile, reaching to take his hand once more.

She turned her gaze to look down at it as she carefully ran her thumb over his knuckles. “It is going to be a while until both the stew and the bread are done. Do you think you can manage lounging around with me until they are or will you get too bored?” She offered the question up teasingly. She wanted to enjoy being around him while he had a day where his responsibilities didn’t keep him to busy. Her body was beginning to ache more the longer she stayed standing as well.

"Right." The single word of agreement was all he could give in response, though he would much rather for Rose to not concern herself too much over himself. But, the sentiment alone was a sweet one if she was willing enough to do the same for him. As her had had slipped into his grip once more, he savored the warmth that her hand seemed to give him, only pleasant feelings seemed to come out in him with her touch. The soft run of her thumb over his knuckles was welcome as his gaze dropped to the action, though her teasing tone had caused him to raise an eyebrow at her in response.

"I'm more than capable of relaxing, Rose." It just was he wasn't used to doing so. Prior to meeting Rose, he constantly worked, constantly left the manor to do something or visit the Black Market for various reasons. Since she had been in the manor however, Emory had spent more time sitting in one spot and actually taking breaks than before, even if he did still fidget occasionally as if expecting to be called away at any second. Now, however at the mention of lounging around, he was further reminded that Rose was sore, her body needed to rest. Keeping her moving around wouldn't help her.

"Granted, if your body is reaching its limits you can just tell me." He gently scooped her up in his arms then, carrying her as he always would, "Honestly, I was going to send you to bed before.. but I have a feeling you would've tried to protest anyways." He knew full well he couldn't force her to sleep now, not when food was still being prepared but at the very least Rose could lay down for awhile and allow her muscles to fully relax. So, with that he had carried her back up to her room, and once there had gently laid her back upon her bed, and only once satisfied he had settled beside her, though he didn't lay down yet, merely remaining sitting on the edge of the bed as a bit of concern settled in his eyes as he gazed at her, "Do you feel a little better?" He hoped at least that would keep a bit of strain off from her sore muscles.

His agreement to the vow she proposed caused her hear to flutter in her chest. Each passing moment with Emory as of late only caused for her to fall deeper in love with the man. She felt far more relaxed now that she had admitted the horrors from her past. It was a weight off of her shoulders that she hadn’t realized she had been carrying. A part of her wishes that she told him sooner, just so he understood why she acted the way she did in certain situations. Her mind just kept reassuring her that it was enough that she finally did allow herself to speak on it after hiding it away for as long as she had. Her grip on his hand had tightened slightly then, though she hadn’t realized she had done such a thing. It was her body’s attempt at continuing to enjoy the comfort that his touch brought her.

His comment brought her away from her thoughts and she lifted her head somewhat. Her eyebrows raised, a rather amused look coming to her eyes. “Mm, you might believe you can relax by your own definition of the word but I know that you need to allow yourself to marvel in the wonders of doing nothing. It can be quite fun once you get the hang of it.” She quipped, a lazy grin settling on her face. “Though I suppose I should be grateful you have learnt how to take the time to do so. A few of your sentries had told me you barely took any breaks before. It is good to partake in nothing for a while.” She added. She let go of his hand as he moved to pick her up like he had done many times before. She normally would’ve made the remark that she could walk on her own, but she decided to indulge herself in that moment. After all, the aching in her body had only intensified now that she stopped moving around.

“You would’ve had to drag me to my bed in order to get me to rest. I can assure you that I do know my own limits and right now I am just very sore from earlier. I haven’t used those muscles in quite a long time.” She reminded. His concern for her well-being was sweet, something that she was still adjusting to. She hadn’t experienced anything like it in quite some time. She knew she would come to appreciate it more than she could possibly say in time. She rolled carefully onto her back once she was placed on the bed, arms spread wide beside her. The comforter underneath her was helping support her body more than the mattress itself would. She closed her eyes for a few moments and allowed a soft groan to leave her lips. She forced her eyes open not long after, knowing that if she kept them closed for too long she would fall asleep. It was the one thing she was trying to avoid.

“I do, though I am curious to see if I will be able to do anything tomorrow without letting out spews of curses.” She confessed with a soft laugh. She tilted her head to the side in order to gaze at him. There was a glint of concern in his eyes, one that she had seen many time before. “Thank you for being my chariot up the stairs. I might slide down the railing later to avoid having to climb down them.” She admitted as she shifted some. She moved more towards one side in case he did plan on laying with her, which she was truly hoping for. “When do you think you might teach me how to use daggers?” She inquired, though she was sure he would insist on her mastering her techniques with the sword before even touching the other blade.

A clear expression of mocking doubt had crossed his face for a few seconds as Rose stated that she knew her own limits. Of course, he knew she did as she hadn't pushed herself too much earlier... granted he also did say he wouldn't train her further if she decided to push herself way past what was reasonable. She did have a point though, considering what he now knew of her past and the circumstances that she had been in, she wouldn't have had the chance or the time to properly continue to use such muscles, much less do much of anything else. He decided however not to comment, allowing her to get comfortable on the bed as Emory had remained seated at the edge, eventually a smile crossed his lips as he shrugged with her next sentence, "Now that is something that would be quite the sight to see." It was difficult to imagine Rose doing such a thing, but then again it had been difficult to imagine her desiring to wield a sword of all things. She consistently defied his expectations.

At her next words, he sighed, "Then I'll help you get down them then. I don't need you hurting yourself." It wasn't as if Emory minded, he was more than capable of supporting her weight with ease. Granted, he did notice as she shifted to one side of the bed, allowing a space big enough for him to lay down on if he desired to. It was certainly tempting, but he decided to refrain from laying down yet. The man didn't want to get tempted enough to doze off, as he hadn't been able to sleep too well the past few days, the thought of sleeping made apprehension flow through him. Plus, he needed to remain awake to keep an eye on Rose so when she needed assistance, he would be able to help her. It was enough that she had even viewed him after waking from a nightmare, he didn't want her to see it a second time, especially without the sleeping aid he was so heavily dependent on. It could be much, much worse.

He perked up at the mention of daggers, though this made the man frown as he seemed lost in thought for a few moments. One of his hands that was bracing against the bed had begun to lightly tap as he was considering her progress, "Hm... that might be a little ways off from now. I'm not entirely certain when, but perhaps around the time you're able to master both defense and offense with a sword would I feel comfortable enough to teach you how to use daggers. I could consider it earlier but..." The man's tone was almost uncertain as he thought about it, "You will have to be able to build your stamina up first, and considering dagger training would be more hands on... I would have to make sure you're absolutely ready since at that point we would have to spar." Sparring with Emory was dangerous, something that he certainly was sure she wasn't ready for yet. He had every intention of making sure that she was capable of defending herself from harm, as he himself wasn't someone that took sparring lightly. His sentries could attest to that.

"Needless to say, you aren't even close to being ready right now." He finally looked over to her, his golden eyes losing the serious focus that it had slipped into briefly as he was considering his options, "Plus, I fear I may be an opponent that's a bit too tough for you. It's better to take things slower first, and you would have to get used to a blade being in your hands - an actual one." Emory sighed as he looked away, a frown crossing his face as he spoke, "And, I'm not someone who will hold back when I deem you ready to be able to spar with me. You'll need to be absolutely prepared to face opponents who are dangerous." I just hope I won't hurt you. That sentiment went unspoken, but it was one thing he was very much worried about. Once the man became more focused or serious with any blade in his hand, he could lose a sense of self, or what he was doing. Accidentally killing, or severely injuring Rose was something that was very much a reality then, and he didn't want that to occur at all if he could help it.

Rose tilted her head at the doubt that crossed his expression, immediately sticking her tongue out at him. She believed that she had gotten far better at understanding her own limits than she used to be. There were times during her childhood when she would still drag herself out of bed to her lessons even if she was greatly ill. Her father ended up scolding her for ever doing such a thing and had knights stand guard outside her door to ensure that she would stay resting. The care that Emory took towards her reminded her immensely of that moment, though she didn’t voice it. She thought Emory might not appreciate the fact that he was more like her father than he might believe. She turned her gaze away from him, staring towards the ceiling. The longer that she laid there, the more her muscles began to ache. It would be a miracle if she managed to drag herself back to her feet and to the kitchen when it was time to finish the stew and the bread.

“I am a woman of many faces and talents Emory. It is a princess’s duty to keep everyone around her on their toes,” She spoke as if she was mimicking one of the many teachers that travelled to the capital to teach her at her young age. “Granted that was the opposite of what I was told, but I believe the air of mystery only adds to my personality.” She added after a brief moment of silence. There were certain parts of herself that were far more diplomatic, shaped to be the pristine picture of a king’s daughter. Then there were the parts of her that carried her father’s temper, striking down anyone that crossed her. Blaine had done his best to break her down to where she could never defend herself against him and he had won. Though, now as she was beginning to move on from the trauma’s of her past, she never found a need to bring them out around Emory. He was privy to the happiness that she preferred to show. A smile on her lips always felt much better than a frown after all.

“I am sure it would be entertaining to see me slip off of the railing as I tried to slide down, though it definitely would hurt me more than I already am.” She pondered out loud, having no intention of actually acting on what she had suggested. She turned her gaze back towards him once again. She had hoped he would lay beside her, but wasn’t too upset he hadn’t. She fell silent at his explanation as to what was to come before she could ever attempt to deal with daggers. The idea of the smaller blade was quite intriguing. She had heard of some fighters that were so skilled that they could kill a man with one knife by throwing it from across a room. At the time she heard the story, it had disgusted her. But now that she was finally allowed to learn how to wield a sword? The prospect of becoming so skilled that she might be able to match that excites her. She didn’t dare mention the story to Emory though.

“I suppose that means I will just have to continue to train as hard as I possibly can. You are one of the best fighters in the land, according to the knights.” She mused the compliment. She rolled carefully onto her side, avoiding the hip that had been aching before. “If anything, perhaps we can start sparring slowly when it is time. I could wear a gambeson just in case. But if you do not feel comfortable sparring with me, I am sure we might be able to find someone else who could.” She offered the suggestion, not knowing how he would take it. The idea of learning to fight anyone other than Emory did send a wave of fear through her. Many people could be unpredictable and even if they said they had good intentions, often didn’t. She found comfort knowing Emory truly didn’t want to hurt her. Any injury that would occur would be completely accidental.

"You? A mystery?" He tilted his head at her, though a chuckle eventually left him as he said amused, "Well, I suppose that's accurate enough. I still can't figure you out completely, but I suppose that I can count it a blessing that I at least have gotten used to you being so energetic." A bundle of happiness and energy was more aptly described for Rose, though he added in a teasing tone, "Granted, at one point I had thought it was all an act so you could somehow try to kill me instead." An absurd and paranoid thought indeed, but Emory was never a man to take many chances. But, scarily enough the man was not afraid of death. He knew well enough that eventually he might die sooner or later; but he was in no hurry to do so. Not now, not when Rose was in his life. Sure, he made precautions before against any hidden threats before, but if by some chance that such precautions would fail, he had planned to accept his end without fighting. Now... he wasn't sure if he would still stick to such a sad ending, it was a thought he would push aside for now. If he lingered on it too long, he might end up worrying Rose and considering the tender moment the two had shared earlier, it wouldn't be good for him to ruin the light air between them now.

A huff left his lips to her response, saying that it would be entertaining to see her slip off the railing. "It'd sooner give me a heart attack." He grumbled that, though it was clear he wasn't going to take her too seriously... yet. If she had any inclination of doing something foolish, Emory would step in and stop her immediately - just when had he gotten so soft? Emory's expression seemed a bit troubled for the fraction of a few seconds, his eyebrows furrowing as he recalled Mathias's brief words to him in the carriage during last night's events, that he had been worried that the man had gotten too soft. Perhaps it was a warning? He knew Mathias to not directly speak what he intended to, but he was the first of all the sentries Emory had trained and the one who kept matters in the Black Market under surveillance when Emory could not personally attend to it. Was it a warning to keep his guard up? To not allow himself to grow too complacent? Or perhaps a reminder that Emory couldn't change, not now. I already know that well enough.

Rose's voice had luckily pulled him out of his thoughts, refocusing his attention on the conversation of daggers. The compliment she gave had made only a slight smile to cross Emory's face, but it was not enough to truly make the man give one of his more warm or amused smiles. The pale gold to his eyes seemed a bit troubled for a mere second, though it was quick to fade as his eyebrows furrowed, considering the possibility of allowing someone else to spar with her. A gambeson would perhaps add some sort of extra protection for her, which was a good thing in his eyes. The more protection she would be provided, the better. But, allowing someone else to spar with her... that didn't make the man feel too great about that either. There wasn't many he trusted, in fact Rose was the only person he was willing enough to put his full trust in; everyone else he couldn't bring himself to go that far with. Even his sentries he was still keeping an eye on, just in case one would step out of line.

"No, I don't think it would be wise to allow anyone else to spar with you." A heavy sigh left his lips as he shifted his weight, his expression tightening, "...I'll just try to take necessary precautions beforehand to make sure you won't be harmed. I... don't have that much faith in myself, and you truly shouldn't put too much trust in me." A heavy warning, but a bit sad all the same. Emory still viewed himself as a monster, for good enough reasons of course. And even if he knew that Rose put so much faith and trust in him, and as happy at that made him... sometimes like now, he wished she wouldn't. He knew quite well she didn't view him before when he allowed himself to fall too deep into combat, and he never wanted her to. But, he would do all in his power to make sure he wouldn't hurt her, because if he even drew the slightest bit of blood... the thought made the man tense, a feeling of self loathing beginning to writhe in his chest.

A flash of a grin crossed her face at his response, eyes gleaming. “That was exactly my goal! To make it where you were unable to find out my true intentions all while I take you down from the inside. And alas! It has worked!” Her tone was filled with amusement as she spoke, trying her best to keep the lighter air between them. “I have turned the great Emory May into a loving, kind man. The heavens will be singing my praises for generations to come.” Her smile grew more at the absurd thought, shaking her own head slightly. She shifted once more on the bed, moving closer to him again. It made it much easier for her to be able to look at him rather than being halfway across the bed from his side. “Do not worry, my father never trained me to be an assassin. I am sure I couldn’t kill you even if I had the threat of a beheading waiting for me if I didn’t complete the task.” It was an odd reassurance for her to say, but one she meant. She never had plans to harm Emory. The young lord had become quite important to her in the time they spent together. The thought of losing him was not one she wanted to spend any time thinking on.

A gentle chuckle broke through her lips at his grumbling. “You would’ve hated me as a child then. I was quite clumsy, though you could never tell now. That along with how easily I could fall ill was a disaster for my father. He threatened to wrap me up in a blanket and forbid me from moving at one point.” She mused. She wouldn’t even attempt such a thing in front of Emory, knowing the man would immediately scold her and help her to safety. It wasn’t as though she hadn’t slid down a stair railing before. It was one of her favorite things to do back in the castle, though that was entirely due to the width of the railing on the main staircase. Her father had caught her doing it at one point and nearly had a heart attack himself. All the amusement her expression had been holding faded as his own changed. A tinge of worry hit her, wondering if she might’ve said something wrong. “Are you alright?” She inquired, reaching a hand out to gently rest on his arm. Her head was laying not far from his leg, her own legs dangling off of the other side of the bed.

The smile faded from her face at the seriousness in both his tone and his expression. Emory was a dangerous man. It was something that had been passed around the kingdom for many years now and she had been privy to hearing many of the reasons why due to her father. There had been many times she caught the king grumbling underneath his breath at just how much of a headache Emory was becoming. Between the rumors of what he had done and the connections the young lord had to the Black Market, it struck fear in many of the citizens her father protected. Despite all of that, she still believed Emory could control himself if needed. His warnings didn’t deter her from wanting to spar against him. She truly did want to learn and fight the best-of-the-best. It was in her nature to strive to become the greatest she could be at every little thing she put her mind to.

“I won’t if you truly insist that I don’t, but only in this instance. Besides, we have plenty of time before I am even to the level I will need to be to for. I am sure it will take me most of the summer to hone my skills.” She tries to ease his mind some in that moment. Neither of them needed to have any sort of heaviness or guilt dwelling on them after the events of the night prior and of that day. She gave his arm a gentle squeeze, one out of reassurance. She even offered him a soft smile. “I know that sparring itself is dangerous and there is always a risk for injury. It is something I have accepted by beginning to learn how to wield a sword and we both know it was the only reason my father wouldn’t allow me to learn sooner. What will happen, will happen. We will worry about it when the time comes.” She decided that would be their best course of action. It was pointless to worry about something that wouldn’t be happening for quite some time, if at all.

Her words accompanied by her soft smile was enough to make the man slowly begin to relax once more. His worries weren't completely extinguished, evident by the hesitation in his eyes; but eventually he had shook his head and a smile finally returned to his face, "You're right." There was little else they could do, and knowing fully well that Rose understood the risks was a reassurance, even if some part of him didn't desire for her to take the risk anyways. But, regardless he would do everything he could to make sure when the time comes he wouldn't be capable of harming her. He knew not what to do at the moment, but he was sure he could figure something out soon.

Emory had gently moved his arm away from her touch, only for his hand to come to gently hold hers, content to merely have her hand there for awhile. Though, noticing now her position on the bed, it was enough to make him raise an eyebrow at her as he questioned, "Are you even comfortable laying like that?" A subject change was perhaps for the best, to quickly divert the conversation before the man dragged the mood down further. He knew quite well that Rose was sore, so keeping that in mind he had moved, though the movement was swift as he let go of her hand, only to move her back to her former position with as much care as to not agitate her sore muscles further.

Once satisfied, the man had finally taken a spot next to her, the bed shifting underneath his weight as he sought to get comfortable, one of his arms then wrapping around her and drawing her close to him, allowing her to snuggle up to him if she wanted. He was quite used to her touch now, finding it soothing than anything else. Peering down at her, he finally allowed a warm smile to cross his face, "Is this better for you? Or do you want me to move?" Although this was risky on its own, tendrils of exhaustion still was clinging to him and the soft bed underneath was all too comfortable. He would not allow himself to sleep though, as sleep was the last thing he wanted.

His gaze shifted to her hip, the one that she was seeming to avoid putting pressure on which had made a bit of concern cross his expression once more, dimming a bit of the warmth that had taken over his features, "...I can get a salve for you later if the pain is becoming too great." Emory wouldn't hesitate to go back to the kingdom for her sake, although the nearby village had their remedies, the kingdom's medicines were far superior. Besides, in the shop he had ran into when Rose had been ill, he vaguely remembered there being such salves for everyday aches and pains.

A frown flashed across her face once Emory moved his arm from her grasp though it was quick to fade once he took her hand in his own. His question had come so quickly that she truly hadn’t been given any time to respond before he moved her back. “It wasn’t too uncomfortable surprisingly. It was stretching my back out more than anything.” She explained. With her legs having been hanging over the side, it pulled her back out far more than it normally would’ve been and had released the tension that was building from the movements earlier that day. She turned her head to watch as he finally laid down beside her, a small smile gracing her lips at the sight. She had been waiting on him to do so since he brought her into the room. A part of her was surprised that he hadn’t allowed himself to get comfortable earlier.

His warmth immediately overcame her when his arms pulled her close. His scent filled her nostrils and the last remaining bit of tenseness finally left her muscles. She shifted to rest her head carefully on his chest, one arm lazily draped beside it. She had shifted to where she was almost laying on him, stomach pressed against his side. She was still avoiding laying on the hip that had been aching before though. “This is perfect, thank you. You are quite comfortable, almost more so than the mattress.” She mumbled. A gentle yawn followed her words. Not that she was finally fully relaxed, the extent of her exhaustion was hitting her. She had barely been able to get any sleep the night before due to the dreams her mind had conjured up and the activities from the day were already drawing on tired muscles. She allowed for her eyes to close for a few moments before she forced them open once more.

“I am alright for now, though I do appreciate your worry Emory. I am sure it is just residual soreness and it will fade by tomorrow.” Rose assured, adjusting her head in order to be able to look up at him. The concern seemed to light up in his eyes once more which did warm her heart. “Besides, you have done one long trip to the kingdom for me before and I needn’t you do it again. I can handle a little bit of pain. I would much rather prefer you are here with me for a while.” She spoke truthfully. She had been away from Emory for long enough as of late. With everything that happened with Freycrest, she hated the thought of being away from him for too long. “If the pain does persist, we are going to be leaving for the ball soon anyways. We can just get some salve then. It saves you a trip and will make both of our lives much easier.” She figured the compromise would be best in that moment.

Emory's muscles had tensed as he remained as still as possible, waiting for Rose to become comfortable as she had shifted her position, it was when she had settled had the man relaxed as a light bit of laughter left his lips, "So I'm your replacement mattress then? I think I can live with that." The sound of his heartbeat could be heard where her head rested on his chest, quickened in its beating although that could just be blamed on the close proximity, she did have this effect on him though most of the time his expression did not show it. He was more than content to lay still as long as she was here at his side.

Rose's reassurance did little to help the man's concern; though he heaved a heavy sigh, "It really wouldn't bother me to do so. But, as you wish." He turned his head so he could meet her gaze, "You do have a point at least. We can settle it then if you are feeling pain," He raised his free hand to lightly graze the side of her face, his touch gentle and light, "The next training session we do, I'll make sure to make you stretch beforehand. That should at least keep the pain down to a minimum. But, for now until the pain lessens, you're not going to be going out training until you recover enough."

Settling his head back down, his eyes faced the ceiling, lost in thought for a few moments. As his thoughts wandered, his eyes were beginning to grow heavy, the comfort of the situation beginning to make the drowsy. Lack of sleep for so many days was beginning to take its toll, though he shook his head as he forced himself to stay awake once more. "..I think I'm getting far too comfortable." He chuckled as he turned his attention to Rose, a soft smile on his face, "Though I think I have you to blame for that." The soft press of her body alone was soothing, accompanied by her body heat. Even her presence alone was soothing to the man, but he didn't want to allow himself to sleep. Sleep brought with it nothing more but memories, memories he didn't want. "Maybe I should sit on the floor, that might make me not doze off." Though it was tempting if he wanted to stay awake, he wouldn't move now that Rose had made herself comfortable.

The gentle sound of his heartbeat was enough to calm Rose even more, focusing on the even beats as she laid beside him. His words rattled the air in his chest, almost causing a gentle hum to his body. It caused her to laugh slightly. “You most certainly are my replacement mattress and my blanket all together. I will never need anything more to sleep on other than you.” She teased. Emory’s body did put out a decent amount of heat and it only brought her more comfort. Her eyes kept wanting to fall shut, but she had to force herself to stay awake. She didn’t think Emory would mind if she dozed off one bit. She just knew that she would be having to get up eventually once more and didn’t want to accidentally overcook the stew due to her own exhaustion. “Would it be alright if I slept by your side again tonight? Your presence did wonders to soothe my mind the last time and I am sure we both need some decent sleep.” She asked in a quiet voice, hoping he would agree.

A soft breath left her nostrils and she closed her eyes for a moment at the gentle touch to her face, savoring each one that she received. He seemed to finally be allowing himself to indulge in the small things such as hand-holding and quick kisses in passing. It brought her an immense amount of joy to see. “I am sure that I can handle a day or so dealing with soreness before we are off to the ball. If it will put you at ease, I will grab some salve when we get there anyways for any future aches I have from training.” She stated her compromise, knowing that it would probably help him quite a bit to hear. His next statement would normally cause for her to let out a few grumbles of disdain, but she did t seem to mind for once. She just nodded her head slightly. “Let us plan the next lesson for when we return. I am sure both of us will have frustration to let out by that point.” She mumbled, the corners of her lips rising as she did so.

“I have a feeling my father might ask us both to stay one night at the castle with him. We do not need to do so if you do not feel comfortable doing such though. He can always request me to visit some other time.” She commented. After the years she hadn’t been able to see the man, she knew that he would do everything within his power to ensure that she stayed close-by for however long she could. She still hadn’t the slightest idea as to how he would the news that Emory was courting her. The entire night was sure to be one that would spell drama for everyone and give the two of them quite the headache. She hoped they would be able to enjoy their evening enough though. She truly did want to dance with Emory even if it was just once.

His words brought a gentle laugh from her. “I concur. I feel as though I am about to doze off at any moment.” She spoke truthfully, eyes shifting to look toward Emory’s. The smile that lit up his face was enough to cause her heart to warm. It was something that she appreciated seeing whenever she got the chance to. “I could say you are the one to blame in my situation, but we would just be bickering over who is more comfortable for the other.” She teased. The mentioning of him moving to sit on the floor only caused for her to move closer to his side, arm shifting to gently hold onto him. “You most certainly will not. If you move to the floor, I move with you. I have become attached to your side from this point on.” A jest, truthfully. While she did love spending time cuddled up to him, she wouldn’t force him to stay at her side if he didn’t want to.

"Hmm?" Emory considered her simple request, it was one he would willingly fulfill if duties did not drag him away; and drag them away they would not. At least, not this night. Although he didn't understand why she found his presence comforting, he wouldn't hesitate to bend to her will. "Well, considering I am both your replacement mattress and blanket; how could I refuse?" He allowed his tone to be light, willingly matching her teasing tones. It seemed as if she was rubbing off on him bit by bit, which was a nice change from the doom and gloom that seemed to always be hanging over the man before. Though, he followed up in a more serious and yet kind tone, "You don't truly need to ask, if it'll help you sleep." Although, part of him was feeling a surge of discomfort. He still had nightmares, although they haven't truly gotten intense to the point when he had been a boy - those night terrors were enough to cause alarm when he had first stepped foot in the manor. Perhaps, Rose's presence would help, but considering the previous day and the day before... he had his doubts. He was a fool, a fool that found it too difficult to let go of his past, to allow himself to move forward.

Regardless, he pushed the thoughts away as he refocused on Rose as she had compromised further in regards to the salve, causing his head to nod in approval. That was certainly doable, even more so that they could keep her next lesson until after the ball. A dry and almost bitter smile crossed his face, "Frustration? I suppose that'll definitely be a motivator." A heavy sigh left him after those words were spoken, dread beginning to sink into his heart. As much as he desired to see Rose happy and finally reunited with her family, as well as getting rid of an all too annoying rat... he just couldn't shake the feeling of apprehension that seized him. This ball certainly would be eventful, but he had a feeling it would be a living hell for himself, a feeling that he couldn't shake no matter how much he tried. But, perhaps he could be wrong? He would have Rose at his side and that was all that mattered. Yet, then at the mention of the king, Emory had grumbled a bit, as if he had tasted something sour. He truly didn't care much for the king, and the feeling was certainly mutual between the two men.

Nonetheless, this sour expression had gentled as he looked down at Rose, a faint smile crossing his face again, "Well, considering that a single ball isn't enough to truly catch up on all you've missed, I could put up with his presence for a night." Emory wasn't too serious in regards to his reluctance with dealing with the king, considering it was something he would have to deal with regardless if he was serious about pursuing a future with Rose. Many more visits to the kingdom would certainly be in order. His smile had faded slightly as he murmured, "Don't allow my personal grudges to get in the way of your enjoyment, Rose." He didn't want to be a hinderance to her happiness, especially considering Blaine had kept her from her family for so very long. She deserved every second she could possibly spend with them; Emory was more like an outsider looking in. He had no place in her familial relationships, nor did he want to restrict her from them either. Though, Emory knew not how a true family felt like, nor truly understood the importance of it... he at least understood that Rose wanted to see them again as she had expressed that quite clearly before. Her happiness was his priority, and nothing else.

A light groan left his lips as he rolled his eyes at her teasing words, "Please don't say that, I don't want to become like Merewin." Merewin and his all too lovey-dovey relationship with Viola, how he clung to the woman and was practically her shadow whenever the two were together. The amount of honeyed words he had overheard from the two in their younger years when he had been a boy was enough to make him gag, especially considering it seemed like Merewin was all too eager to keep his wife within arm's length, and that love only seemed to intensify as the two grew older. It was maddening, pure insanity! A huff had left his lips as Rose then had gently held onto him, though amusement had sparked to life in his eyes, "Attached to me? Well then, I guess I have no choice-" Emory had gently shifted his position, moving Rose gently to rest completely on top of him, being as careful as possible considering her sore hip as he leaned up to place a gentle kiss on her forehead, "I'll just remained trapped here."

Relief flashed in Rose’s eyes as he agreed to allow her to do so once more. Even though Emory was clearing becoming more comfortable with her touches, she still didn’t want to overstep any boundaries that he might have. She believed he had been through too much by that point and didn’t deserve to suffer through anymore. “I would be shocked if both my mattress and blanket were unavailable, though I would understand,” She paused, the teasing in her tone lightening. “I feel better asking you before I do. I do not want to overstep.” She explained, knowing that he was already well aware of that. She was still rather cautious in putting her own needs in front of others, especially Emory. The young lord deserved to be treated with the upmost kindness and love. It was her intention to do so for as long as she could in hope that he might find the happiness kept from him all those years.

She fell silent for a few moments, gaze shifting to look towards the wall across the room. The ball would signal an end to many things that had been plaguing her mind. She almost didn’t know how to feel about it coming to an end. Parts of her were relieved, ecstatic even that she could gain a fragment of her old life back. Other parts were terrified that something would go wrong. Blaine was a slippery man, one that her father had trusted for far too long. That along with Emory’s reputation would certainly cause the celebration of her return to pause. Yet, she knew that she wouldn’t let any sway her mind from the love she felt for Emory. She wanted to be able to choose who she could be with for the first time in her life. “At least Blaine will be dead. That will be the one cause for celebration for the both of us.” She mused, finally breaking the silence. Her voice was quiet as she did, but it didn’t hold any of the pain it had before when she discussed her memories. Instead it held a bit of relief.

She had opened her mouth to respond to his final statement, his words regarding Emory’s past interfering with the festivities. Her voice caught in her throat though the moment that he shifted to carefully pull her completely onto him. She clearly hadn’t expected it, but it was appreciated nonetheless. Her legs were now carefully laying on top of his own. The one arm that had been gripping him was still doing so while her other was now draped over his own arm. A bright smile came to her lips, resting her chin carefully on his chest in order to look up at him. She decided it would be best to just allow the subject to change as she didn’t want to dwell on anything. That could damper both of their moods for too long. They both seemed to finally be happy in a way they hadn’t been in a while. She didn’t want to be the cause for it changing.

She clicked her tongue, eyebrows raising slightly at his mentioning of Merewin. “Oh, I hate to be the one to tell you this,” She paused, almost as if she was doing it for a dramatic effect. “You already are far more like Merewin than you believe. You may have a different way of showing your love to me, but you do mirror everything you have told me about how he treats Viola. I mean, look at us right now and tell me that he wouldn’t do the same.” She teased, the smile still present on her face. Her affection was shining in her eyes once more. She truly couldn’t help herself any. Each second she spent with him only caused her love to grow. She carefully shifted to lean up more. She then connected their lips in a soft kiss. She only held it for a few moments before she pulled back.

Emory certainly did have to appreciate Rose desiring not to overstep his boundaries, though he knew enough that he would stop her if he ever grew far too uncomfortable - he severely doubted a day would come where he would need to. He trusted her enough to know that she meant him no harm, and so he would allow his guard down just enough so that she could be at his side comfortably. Besides, the longer he exposed himself to physical touch and physical displays of affection, the more he could acclimate to it properly and truly begin to relax around her, to finally feel... normal. And with his life being nothing but abnormal, some normalcy and calm was more than welcome to ground him and give him some time for him to refocus and simply be at peace. This moment with Rose was one such moment, and he was far more grateful that he could simply have a day where it would just be himself and her.

At the mention of Blaine's all too inevitable death, Emory had only nodded his head in silent agreement. Although, Emory's gripe with the man was now fueled solely by the atrocities he had done against Rose, he was more than pleased that after the ball, Blaine would indeed be no longer a problem. It was a loose end that would finally be resolved, but he knew full well that there were plenty of other loose ends he had to deal with, ones that he wasn't sure how to proceed with a cool head on his shoulders. But, thinking about it too much now would make his mood change, and he didn't want to have to put Rose in a position where she would want to cheer him up. So, he pushed such troublesome matters aside for now, contenting himself with having her on top of him, though her words had made the man fake an expression of horror before breaking down into genuine laughter.

"Haha, I suppose you are right... but at the same time, no. I'm not as bad as him yet, and I'm sure you wouldn't want me to be. I don't think I need to remind you of how many children those two have." The one unbearable thing about the couple in their earlier years, the two couldn't go a few hours without having their hands on one another. Too many times there have been situations, rather uncomfortable ones where Emory had caught the two in rather compromising positions. Of course he had ignored it, and pretended he didn't see, but there was a period of time where Viola couldn't go a single year without being pregnant. He knew full well that if Merewin and Viola continued, they probably would have much more children than the five sons they had now... thankfully Viola had forced Merewin to compromise, and furthermore her duties to the estate as well as her growing family had left the woman with little time to pursue any lewd behavior with her all too affectionate husband. And considering she had moved from a live in maid to going to live with Merewin outside of the manor, it left Emory relieved that he wouldn't have to put up with the two lovebirds, especially considering Merewin did indeed hate Emory after he had taken over.

Of course, the man had accepted her gentle kiss, the action from her was sweet and loving; so he certainly would not reject it. As she pulled back, he allowed her to do so, his expression gentle as he said softly, his tone lightly teasing, "Be careful, I think I might become addicted..." Referring of course to her kiss, it always sparked a warm and happy feeling in his chest, a contrast from his past and the feeling of disgust and fear that a kiss usually would bring. He was teasing her of course though, even if part of him was quite serious. Perhaps, being in love with her was enough to change most of the previous feelings he had in regards to touch or kisses. It was a welcome and positive change, but again he didn't want to become too greedy; desiring to give Rose the space and freedom she needed. Becoming clingy or overbearing was something that he didn't want to become.

The laughter that shook his chest caused for Rose to laugh along with him. She truly hadn’t been able to help herself any. She could hear the echoing of the laughter from how her head was resting on his chest. The sound was one that she could get used to, one that she wished she was able to hear more often. Emory was beginning to open up more with each passing day and it truly made her feel much better. She adjusted her arms to help hold her head as she gazed up at him. The reminder of the children was one that made her eyes widen. “Oh my, you are right. I had completely forgotten the extent of his love for her.” She confessed with a slight shake of her head. “I couldn’t imagine having that many children to deal with. It was bad enough to be surrounded by my sisters,” She paused for a moment as the thought of children truly dawned on her.

“Yet I imagine that I cannot ever have children. Not that I truly mind, but it is something we might never have to worry about.” She mused. She doubted that Emory would ever want to actually have children. After his past, she didn’t know how he would feel fathering any. She didn’t mind either way. It was something that she had accepted quite a long time ago. “I am sure we can get to that extent without having me bear children quit as much as she had.” She added after a moment. The amount of love that he had for her was something that made her quite happy. She could only imagine how their lives would eventually turn out. She could see the two of them spending the rest of their days here at the manor, taking day trips to the nearby mountains and fields. They would spend time swimming in the crystal clear waters of the pond where they had almost kissed that one night.

They would share countless meals together, the seasons passing them by with ease. She couldn’t imagine a better way of spending the rest of her days. While the two of them would have other things to attend to, she knew she would find great enjoyment in the simplicity that would come with her life by his side. It was rare for her to ever actually look forward to the future, a habit that she had forgotten many years ago. Yet, she finally did believe she could look forward to this. Her eyes had softened as she thought on the matter, unable to hide how happy it made her feel.

His words brought that familiar smile back to her lips. “It is one of the better thing to get addicted to, I assure you.” She murmured. She shifted once more in order to be able to reach his face easily. Her own hovered carefully over his own, eyes scanning his facial features for a few moments. “You have always been quite the handsome man.” She whispered. She pressed one more kiss to his lips, holding it a bit longer than she had before. She then moved to press a kiss to each one of his cheeks, then his forehead, and then the tip of his nose. She peppered his face with kisses after she finished that before pulling away to smile down at him once more. “You are making me not want to get up when I know I have to later.” She confessed in a soft grumble. She pressed one more kiss to his lips after she spoke. “Can we not just spend every day laying in bed together?”

Emory had to feel a tinge of amusement as it had dawned on Rose concerning Merewin and Viola, although as she had spoken that she possibly could not have children of her own... it didn't bother Emory in the slightest. Considering Rose had opened up about her past and the abuse Blaine had put her through, Emory would not permit himself to force her to do such a thing. Having children of his own wasn't a priority, it never was and probably never would be; especially more so considering Rose's body was one that had the potential to grow ill at any time, something he knew was hereditary considering the late queen had passed... there were just too many unknown factors to deal with, and he also didn't think he was capable of showing warmth as a father. Would he care deeply for his children if he were ever to father any? Certainly, as the man was capable of showing such a warm and loving side to Rose, but he perhaps would be far too cold and strict as a father, or would he just be a horrid parent due to his own parental figures examples? He didn't know, and he certainly wasn't going to give it much thought now. There was no telling what the future could hold, but he wasn't too concerned with that topic. Too many unknowns surrounded it, and he wasn't going to spend energy worrying on something that may not be possible. Besides, adoption was always an option if the urge of parenthood would ever fall on either one of the two later in life.

"I've never considered it before, but I'm not too concerned over it myself." His eyebrows furrowed as he added in a more serious tone, "..I don't want to ever put you through even a fraction of what he had done to you." He gently raised a hand to lightly caress her cheek, "Your value to me is solely you as an individual. Whether you can bare children or not does not bother me." The sincerity to his words were obvious, as she held far more value to him as just her being herself than the potential of having children. Blaine hadn't done so, and treated her terribly as a result and that was something that Emory would not allow himself to do, especially considering his own past and being treated like an object to use. Rose would never be treated in such a way as long as she was at his side, nor would he permit himself to ever begin to treat her as such. However, knowing the air had turned a bit too serious, Emory had broke into a lop-sided grin, his hand resting now at his side as he added in a teasing tone, "Though, I really don't think it would be a good idea if we got to that extent. I'm not sure if you will be able to take it, and I certainly don't want to push you too hard. You really should know better than to push your luck."

Emory remained still as she had begun to move, allowing her to do as she pleased though as she peered down at him, that caused a bit of curiosity to come to light in his eyes as he gazed up at her. Her compliment had made an almost smug expression cross his face, whispering back, "Or so I've heard." A rare bit of true playfulness was beginning to rise up in the man, though as her lips came in contact with his own, he had closed his eyes, enjoying the gentleness of her kiss only followed by him being a bit surprised as she had placed soft kisses upon his face, the skin tingling pleasantly where she had placed her lips. It was when she had pulled away that the man opened his eyes to look up at her once more, a grin crossing his face again at her words as he accepted yet another kiss from her, the pleasant tingling of her lips upon his own was enough to make him desire more kisses... though he restrained himself as he responded in a quiet tone, "We can't, because I'm sure my patience will be tested." His arms then moved, gently settling to wrap around her middle as if in an embrace as his lips pressed against hers again, though gentle, eventually his teeth came to lightly nibble at her bottom lip, far more gentler than he would do before if the two were engaged in more passionate kisses... but he truly was trying to restrain himself if only for her sake. She was still sore after all, he didn't want to make it worse.

That reminder was enough to make the man move his head away, a huff of breath leaving his lips as he regained his composure. Luckily enough, the man hadn't riled himself up enough past the point of no return, so he had smiled at her, the warm gold to his eyes filled with slight exasperation as he shook his head, "It definitely will be a bad idea if we lay in bed together everyday. I did say to not push your luck too much."

There wasn’t much that anyone could say anymore that could surprise her. After her years growing up surrounded by the royal court along with the politics that were constantly brought forth, she believed that she might’ve seen and heard it all. Even with all that Blaine had done to her, she knew that it happened to far too many woman. But the words that Emory spoke were enough to cause her breath to hitch in her throat for a moment. Woman surrounding her had been viewed as object for as long as she could remember. Her sisters were married off to form alliances and to strengthen the bonds between kingdoms by producing heirs that would later contest for the throne. Never had she heard anyone speak to her about her value as an individual. Her mouth had parted slightly as though she was going to attempt to form words, but they never truly did go past the tip of her tongue. She knew that she would never be able to form a proper response to what he had said and she was grateful the conversation swiftly shifted away from that subject.

Her own smile eventually graced her lips once more at the grin he offered her. “Now when have you known me to ever actually stay within the bounds of what I can handle?” She inquired, her tone mimicking his. She truly did have a nasty habit of overstepping her own boundaries when she surely should know better not to. She was aware that Emory knew that by then. Her smile dropped at the smug response to her compliment, rolling her eyes quickly. “I suppose I should not compliment you anymore as I am afraid your ego will be large enough to shove me out of the room.” She teased softly back in response. The soft kisses the two shared made a shiver go down her spine. Her mind automatically craved more, urging her to continue. She shoved that away to the best of her ability, knowing it would be best if it stayed a gentle moment for the two of them.

She allowed for herself to rest carefully back down against his body after their final kiss, his arms helping support her from sliding off. “You truly do have the mind of every man.” Her joke was quiet, though a soft smirk came to her lips as she spoke. She had her head resting once more on his chest. Her face was close enough to where it could nuzzle into his neck if she pleased. She was quite comfortable where she found herself in that moment, but his words caused for her to carefully use her arms to push herself up. “And I had truly only meant for us to enjoy the comfort of each other’s embraces. It is terrible how dirty one’s mind can get.” She teased once more, that playful tone beginning to show again. She rolled off of him in order to sit beside him and gaze down at him. Her eyes were still shining, mind having completely drifted off of the pain she had been feeling.

“I suppose it is a good thing that I love you so dearly then, hmm?” She mused, adjusting her legs to where they were curled beside her. Her body weight was rested carefully on one of her arms. She brought her free hand over to gently caress his cheek. She traced her thumb over the sharpness of his cheekbone, her touch light. She pulled her hand away after a few moments. “It is a shame I will have to get up soon to pull the bread from the oven and check the stew. I want to just lay in bed and sleep.” She confessed, her exhaustion hitting her more the longer that she spent on top of the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back