Advice/Help New to RP, need explanation on Group RP/Dice mechanics

Miamia

Hiatus till 19 August, currently overwhelmed OTL
Heya! Apologies if there is already a tutorial on these questions I'm about to ask. Just link me to them I'll read on it.

I'm fairly new to RP, just started this month, and all I've been doing so far is 1x1 Roleplays because I thought they'd be easier to handle.

However I'm interested in learning new things and would definitely like to try the Dice function or a Group Roleplay...unfortunately I'm not too sure how to do those.

Could someone give me a simple explanation how Group Roleplays and Dice Roleplays differ from 1x1 Roleplays? Or hold a tutorial RP for me?

I get that Group RPs generally just mean that there's more than 2 people in the RP, but is there anything else different other than that? Is there like a system where every RPer has to respond at least once before we can continue or something?

I know that the dice is to set a sort of "Random" and "Fairness" factor into the RP, but how do I use it and when do I use it?

I don't know much about die, but I do know some differences of 1x1 and groups. There might be some big guns that can help explain the dice.

Groups differ from ones because ones require one-three players at a time (mostly one, but depending on the interest, you can have others).
Ones differ a little but due to privacy, some want it on messages and such.
Both of them differ because of time zones. Depending on zones, some might be early some might be late posting, so the best time for everyone to post is when the grandmaster gets a post up or everyone can post from once per day to once over week.

Those are some differences I found out while lurking on this website in my first month

hey there miamia! welcome to the site and the wonderful world of rp! thanks for reaching out, and i hope i can help you. essentially, group and 1x1 rps are the same: the criteria for a 1x1 states that it typically includes 2 or 3 players, while the range for a group rp's range usually starts at 3 or 4 and can go as high as the gm ( group moderator ) would like. sometimes, the gm will implement a posting order, which can take multiple forms. some will give each player a number and then they will post in order according to their numbers, while others only say "ok everyone, post by this date so we can move on in the rp."

as for dice, it's mainly utilized in dnd ( dungeons and dragons ) campaigns to dictate a character's skill, the outcome of an event, or something that should be randomized for the sake of fairness in the rp. that's not really my area of expertise, but dice aren't really used outside of dnd, so unless you're venturing into that scene you'll be alright.

i recommend reading the site's comprehensive guide, roleplay tutorial, and guide on creating a roleplay if you haven't already to get a better grasp of how things work. i hope i helped, and don't be afraid to pm me if you ever have any questions!

I get that Group RPs generally just mean that there's more than 2 people in the RP, but is there anything else different other than that? Is there like a system where every RPer has to respond at least once before we can continue or something?

Each Group rp basically has its own rules. There may or may not be requirements on how often you should post (there usually is, but it varies a lot). So the best way to get into Group roleplays is to find which ones are accepting players and read the rules of that roleplay.

For Dice it's pretty much the same. Some of them are based on existing dice system (like Dungeons & Dragons or Pathfinder etc), or some have their own rules. Again, best way is to just check through existing threads and see what might appeal to you.

Like any rp, communication is key. If you like a rp but are not sure about something, you can contact the GM (the person who organized the rp) and ask them to clarify the rules. :)

Virus Virus
Hey! Nice to see you again from my Vocaloid post, thanks for the explanations!

blackout blackout
Thanks a lot for the explanation! I was really confused about how group RPs regulate the posts, but you helped clear that up.
I'm assuming that if some players don't respond by a certain date, their turn is just skipped? And if that continues the GM gets to "Kick" the character out of the RP right?

Thanks for the links, will read up on them later!

Onmyoji Onmyoji
Thanks for the explanation as well!

Unrelated but: HanGuang-jun! I just finished watching the MDZS anime so your pfp and title stands out to me XD

Last edited:
I'm assuming that if some players don't respond by a certain date, their turn is just skipped? And if that continues the GM gets to "Kick" the character out of the RP right?
Often yes, but also depends on the rp rules. Some are more lenient than others. Or the rp just dies before that happens, which also occurs a lot.

Unrelated but: HanGuang-jun! I just finished watched the MDZS anime so your pfp and title stands out to me XD
Aww! Feel free to PM if you want to scream about it XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back