• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

New to D&D

MissUnderstood

Fangirl Gamer
I'm new to the world of D&D, and would like to practice it. So, I was thinking "D&D is literally RPing, so I could start a session here." So I was wondering if anybody would be willing to play D&D with me? I already have a character set up. I just need one or two fellow adventurers and a DM. If you're willing to help, please comment!

I'm willing to fill the role of either adventurer or DM. I have a 3.5e character that I can use, and plenty of ideas for campaigns.

i have player's hand books for every edition except 4th. i could be an Adventurer if needed.

I'm new as well but I'm down for just about anything. I'll need a reference for a CS though

Last edited by a moderator:
And you have my axe. Though if I may make a request, 5e is my game of choice. I don't feel like going back to 3.5

Good Point. 5e is a Lot Simpler and requires a lot less bookkeeping, meaning more effort can be focused on activity. i can't Stand 3.0/3.5/PF because they are bloated with an excess of redundant fiddly bits and a heavy focus on Minmaxing as well as a similar heavy focus on murderhoboing. i just hope that murder isn't the sole way to gain experience from an obstacle, and that creatively bypassing them or diplomacizing creatures is also viable. i guess my huge dislike of murderhoboing is well, a huge dislike of murderhoboing, i would bring a feytouched (AKA Half Elf) Rogue, a Divine Evoker of the Forgefather, (Reskinned Mountain Dwarf Wizard that is more a human raised by dwarves), or an Auri (Reskinned dragonborn) Armiger (Reskinned Fighter)

Well, my character's not exactly among the standard, but aside from his race, he's straight out of the PHB. His name's Ülfgarr. He's a zombie. NAturally, this means he can't speak through normal means and has severely diminished mental stats. But, if we need a tank, my stupid rolled Constitution should be able to handle it. Seriously, his stats are: Strength 18 (Natural 17+1 Zombie bonus), 10 Dexterity, 20 Constitution (18+2), Intelligence 6, Wisdom 6, Charisma 6. He's also a Barbarian with a Greataxe.

everything i mentioned was a cosmetic window dressing applied to a build from the players handbook. the "Feytouched Spellcloak" is a layer of Cosmetic Dresssing placed over "half elf rogue with the Arcane Trickster Archetype" the "Human Divine Evoker of the ForgeFather who grew up in Dwarven Society" is a Cosmetic Layer of Dressing placed over an "Evocation Focused Mountain Dwarf Battle Wizard", and the "Auri Armiger" is a Cosmetic Dressing Applied to a "Dragonborn Fighter"

any one of the 3 Cosmetic Trappings i mentioned based on what the group seems to need. though the "Feytouched Spellcloak" and "Divine Evoker of the Forgefather" likely have the least overlap. even if they are both hybrid builds.

Well, the reflavored Dwarf Wizard would probably be pretty helpful. Some counterspell would certainly be helpful later on down the line, since my character's pretty much a walking murder machine that you guys would like to NOT have to fight.

Well, the reflavored Dwarf Wizard would probably be pretty helpful. Some counterspell would certainly be helpful later on down the line, since my character's pretty much a walking murder machine that you guys would like to NOT have to fight.

Said "Dwarf" would have a Few AoE spells to use in a pinch, maybe some buffs and some dispels, but she would fight like Any other "Dwarf' in medium armor with a blacksmith's hammer in scenarios where spells aren't worth casting. likely would take feats to augment counterspelling. assuming i use the standard point buy, she would have after racial modifiers, 16 each in strength and constititution, 14 intelligence, 12 dexterity, 10 wisdom and 8 charisma, wearing medium armor and carring a blacksmiths hammer and a shield, because she was raised by dwarves, she would fight like any other dwarf, but what separates her from most dwarves, is she channels the forge as a Symbolic weapon, especially when counterspelling, i also plan to cheat and use google to Translate her prayers. she goes by the Alias Vesuvius, and has the Title of Divine Evoker. a Title given to a unique sect of Dwarven Raised Priests who bring punishment to those who threaten the very morals of Dwarven Culture.

Wait, how would you have medium armor proficiency? Are you going to multiclass? I mean, it's not unheard of, my brother made a "Tank Wizard" by taking his first level as Cleric to take Heavy Armor and get some healing spells. But aside from that, you wouldn't have access to any armor at all as a Wizard.

Wait, how would you have medium armor proficiency? Are you going to multiclass? I mean, it's not unheard of, my brother made a "Tank Wizard" by taking his first level as Cleric to take Heavy Armor and get some healing spells. But aside from that, you wouldn't have access to any armor at all as a Wizard.

Mountain Dwarves are the Dwarven Subrace that Gains +2 Strength, Light and Medium Armor Proficiency, as well as Shield Proficiency. Racial Abilities are doing the heavy lifting. meaning, they take any unarmored or lightly armored class and turn them into a pseudo tank.

Mountain Dwarves are the Dwarven Subrace that Gains +2 Strength, Light and Medium Armor Proficiency, as well as Shield Proficiency. Racial Abilities are doing the heavy lifting.

Not in 5e, Umbrie. Oh. Mountain Dwarves. I accidentally skipped that bit.

Yeah, I got it. Refresh and you'll see that I edited my post. It's sometimes easy to overlook the Mountain Dwarf.

the mountain dwarf is an amazing option for tanky warrior hybrid variations on the Warlock, Wizard, and Sorcerer. it isn't quite optimized, but it is a great way to keep a wizard alive and provide them some versatility at the expense of raw power. its Racial abilities are Redundant on a Fighter, Barbarian or Paladin, but where it shines is allowing a d6 hit point unarmored caster to survive a bit longer.

Personally, I just went with the Arcane Domain Cleric on my Hill Dwarf named Salvador. I've had a lot of fun with that drunk.

i like taking race/class combos that Grognards say "Shouldn't Exist" Reskinning them and making them work. usually involves unusual use of a Subrace, such as using the mountain dwarf to build a Tanky Wizard, or using the half elf to build a socially and politically inclined rogue. i remember playing a halfling cleric that took the tempest domain and slaughtered with a pair of scimitars while wearing what pretty much amounted to baggy clothing.

I like being able to, basically, do whatever I think is cool and making it playable and simultaneously functional. While, yes, I have been known to optimize, I prefer injecting as much roleplaying flair into my characters as possible. I played a character that was designed, mechanically, to do nothing but destroy gods, but I played him like a humble hermit, looking to settle down in a quiet forest and nurture the land into something wonderful.

I like being able to, basically, do whatever I think is cool and making it playable and simultaneously functional. While, yes, I have been known to optimize, I prefer injecting as much roleplaying flair into my characters as possible. I played a character that was designed, mechanically, to do nothing but destroy gods, but I played him like a humble hermit, looking to settle down in a quiet forest and nurture the land into something wonderful.

and i try too hard to rebel against Stereotypes. "Dwarven Wizards?" "Melee Wizards?" "Howabout a Dwarven Wizard that can play secondary tank in a pinch?" mostly as a statement and it usually pays off well. i remember playing a Rogue who after racial modifiers had 8 Strength, 6 Constitution, 12 Dexterity, 12 intelligence, 10 Wisdom and 10 Charisma, and the GM wouldn't let me reroll, and i rolled so poorly i had no starting gold to even purchase clothes with, let alone a nightshirt, so i asked for and recieved permission to start with tattered slave's rags and a Plastic Spork, and the character was so darn lucky, that even with 1 hit point, she never seemed to take damage and got a mountain of double damage crits and high rolls with a 1d4+1 Spork to the kidney that dealt an additional 1d6 damage. monsters kept fumbling at the slave orphan with Radiation poisoning, and she went from level 0 to level 3 before the campaign ended, because i was soloing boss monsters with a spork, the rolls were even in the open, and the GM fumbled a lot more than normal, like the dice didn't want her to die. the GM was upset that combats intended to be lethal were turned into a joke by what should have been the weakest character in the party,

Fantastic. Though, in our group, this wouldn't have upset the DM, but made him laugh so damn hard, he'd have to check his pants. We had a game that started with all of our characters being generic rogues out of the monster manual. We were all scheduled to die, we knew this going in, so each of our characters started filling out tropes in movies. My character became he rookie with no training and another's became the old guy with three days until retirement and a pregnant wife. It was fantastically stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back