• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Nevermore

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

Tiramiisu

A hunter is a hunter, even in a dream.
Nevermore

wallpaper-2670532.jpg

The grand hall was crowded with people. A flood of fresh-faced recruits stood in front of the main stage, all of them chatting eagerly amongst themselves. A podium was placed in the center of the stage with a steambot frantically searching flipping through a stack of notecards in his hands. Four individuals were sat behind the podium, two on each side, each one had unreadable expressions on their face as they gazed out at the Vigil's newest batch of hunters.

"They seem worst than last year's group," Stated a woman with ashen skin.

"Hush, Iosefka." Another woman responded, her eyes cast downwards at the pocket watch in her hand. She calmly shut the clock, shoving it back into her dress pocket. "They will learn in due time. Just give them a chance."

A man with a porcelain mask over his face wordlessly nodded in agreement, while an older man decided to speak his opinion. "Can't you ever lighten up for once? Must you always judge the youngins every year we do this ceremony?"

The pallid woman scoffed. "If more manage to survive this year than the last then maybe I could consider them as useful. But until then, we should prepare for another bloodbath."

The man's face turned into a shade of red, his face contorted in disgust as he opened his mouth to yell at the hybrid woman but was cut short by a meek voice. "Um. Shall I start the ceremony, sir?"

The man glared at the woman once more, before he exhaled heavily through his nose and leaned back into his chair. His gaze softened as he gave the steambot his attention. "Yea. Go ahead," He mumbled, taking out his pipe. Crowby turned to face the crowd. He tapped a gloved finger onto the microphone, an audible thud echoed throughout the hall.

Crowby made an exaggerated cough, the sound not ceasing the rapid conversations in the hall. He cleared his non-existent throat, opting to try and speak to the recruits. "Excuse me? May please I have your attention," The chatter still kept going, causing the robot to try once more. He tapped the microphone in annoyance before speaking into it. "If you all could please... SHUT IT, YOU FUTURE MEAT SHIELDS ... uh, future hunters. I would like to be the first to welcome you all to Hunter's Vigil!"

The steambot held his arms in the air, a feeble attempt to gain applause from the crowd. The hall went dead silent after the bot's outburst, no one dared to speak unless Crowby decided to short circuit once more. He let out a nervous chuckle, adjusting the microphone to get rid of the unsettling feeling around him. "Now then. I am sure you all know how the school system works. Each of you will be given an instructor based on your specific skills and abilities that you have kindly written in your application forms. I have counted and stored everyone's responses into my database and sorted everyone into their specific groups. As you can see here." He turned to stare up behind him a large chart that had now been projected behind him. "There are four different columns for each of the classes we have here. Please find your name under your class and keep in mind who is instructing you for the upcoming year! I listed everyone's names in alphabetical order."

Crowby waited as all the recruits took a moment to stare up at the chart above him, their eyes scanning the projection as they each found their names. Once the chatter began to cease once more, Iosefka stood from her seat and made her way onto the podium, causing the poor bot to stand aside and relinquish his spot on the podium to her. She scanned the recruits, her golden eyes narrowing, scrutinizing every being within the crowd. Some recruits began muttering amongst themselves. The sight of a hybrid was rare in these parts of Everelden and to see one of them instructing a class within the Vigil was odd.

"Silence," She stated, the whispers dying down almost instantly. "I'm sure you are all here thinking you are fit to become a new generation of hunters since you were lucky enough to appear in front of us today. If you expect me to congratulate you on your so-called accomplishment then you're mistaken. For all I know, a majority of you could end up dead in the ground by sunrise and then what good were you to the Vigil? Most of you believe your brute strengths would cause you to survive a vampire attack and your mere abilities would cause you to become one of the best." She took a moment to let out a quick chuckle. Her laugh lacking any sort of genuine emotions other than ridiculing the recruits before her. "Then by all means, if you think that highly of yourselves then you should be the ones talking on this stage right now."

A voice shouted from amongst the sea of wannabe hunters, challenging Iosefka. "Just because you're a hybrid don't mean a thing to us! I bet we lot are stronger than you and could take down any monster that comes at us!"

"Well if you are so bold to stand up me, then vampires shouldn't be a problem now, huh?" She responded coolly. The older man grumbled out her name, beginning to rise from his seat to calm the situation but Iosefka quickly scolded him. "Sir Walter, you and I both know that they will never learn unless we show them what they are to face, so I suggest you remain seated."

She composed herself, stepping down from the stage and walking in the midst of the crowd who split to leave her a clear path to walk through. "Since I am not in the mood to deal with burying dead recruits, we shall start the first hunt tonight. Anyone who would care to join me shall meet in the courtyard, otherwise, leave the premises and return home. The choice is yours." Iosefka's voice echoed throughout the hall, her heels clicked as she made her way to one of the hall's exit.

The hall was still for a moment before one student huffed and began walking out of the hall back to where the main entrance was. Some more recruits followed as well, all of them deciding it was best to remain home and not risk their lives in that one night. A majority of the recruits flooding the main hall had left, leaving only a few stragglers that were brave enough to join in on the first hunt.

"What a pain," The woman from before sighed as she stood from her seat. "Let's go Walter, Caspian. We should go as well and make sure no one gets hurt."

The masked man nodded, standing from his seat and moving to follow his companion towards the courtyard. Walter turned to Crowby, giving the steambot a reassuring pat on his shoulder.

"Hold down the base for us while we're gone, Crowby."
"Y-yes, sir!"

Walter gave him a poor attempt at a smile before he jumped off the stage, landing on the floor below with a thud. "If you all intend on participating the first hunt then you better hurry. The sooner we get this nonsense over with the quicker we could get to the actual teaching. Think of this as a way to test yourselves. You'll all do fine so long as you stay close and don't wander off." He instructed the leftover recruits, attempting to make the situation seem less dangerous than what it truly was. Normally, the first hunt would be done after a month of basic teachings, but with the excess loss in recent newcomers, it seemed Iosefka saw it was more suitable to lessen the dead weight now and find those who are truly devoted to the Vigil as soon as possible.

He clapped his hands once, walking past the students with a slight skip in his step. "Come along now! Wouldn't want to keep the old hag waiting!"

Last edited:
ff2312494450f027492a303209b756e1-d56kr0b.jpg
Jack.Frost.full.1355838.jpg
Name: ManjanoName: Leandra
The twins stood in silent awe of the grand hall while many around them mingled. Chatter filled the air and the voices echoed through the vast buildings halls and towering ceilings. It was nearly unfathomable that a building could be this gigantic and the twins exchanged a nervous look. Leandra had been very keen on joining the Hunters and securing a safe place for the twins to live and especially so they would not have to worry so much about simply surviving. The steambot in front of them seemed flushed, as it hurriedly prepared itself to make some kind of speech. It was not something new to them to be seeing a steambot, but for it to be in charge of speaking versus the apparent leaders sitting down behind it seemed a bit off-putting to the twins, especially Manjano.

Scowling, Manjano leaned towards his sister and muttered, "They're letting a steambot speak for them. Just how reliable are these people, Lea?"

Smiling at her brother, Leandra replied in a whisper, "Relax, will ya? They're reliable, there's no doubt about that. Just give them a chance, yeah?"

Sighing, Manjano crossed his arms over his chest while he stared at the leaders just beyond the podium. They were speaking in hushed whispers of their own and he was curious what they were saying about their recruits. He imagined there was a bit of judgment being passed on everyone since they were all fresh to these supposed veterans. Alas, the twins knew very little about this group beyond the fact that they could house the twins and keep them fed if they made the cut.

As the steambot began speaking, Leandra grinned and began standing up on her toes, trying to see over those taller than her. It seemed the crowd was more riled up than usual, as the steambot's attempts to quiet everyone down continued to fail. Then it finally shouted at them and the twins did not miss the mention of them being meat shields. Leandra winced at this and Manjano merely sighed again. He muttered under his breath, "Reliable, sure."

When they were told to read their names off the projection, Manjano's scowl deepened. Tilting his head to the side, he still had trouble trying to read anything in the distance. Losing half his vision made far distance increasingly difficult to see properly. Leandra was quick to notice this and automatically read off Manjano's name, "Ah, there you are. You're in the skill class, nice." She continued to scan the list until she found her own name in the will class. "Will class, huh. Fancy."

Pausing, Leandra glanced sideways to see her brother was tense. Furrowing her brows, Leandra whispered, "Come on, you'll be fine without me. You wanted to learn how to be more independent anyways. This is a great way for you to learn." Turning to look at Leandra with his good eye, Manjano muttered, "More like a great way for me to make a fool of myself." Leandra attempted to smile, as she replied, "On the bright side, you have an awesome-looking eye patch! I mean, at least it's obvious so people will be aware of it, yeah?" Sighing, Manjano said, "I guess. It just tells everyone I have a disability, though. They'll think I'm weak." Leandra's smile widened now, as she said, "Exactly! This gives you the chance to prove them wrong!"

Before they could say more, the hybrid teacher rose and approached the podium. Manjano kept his head at the proper tilt to help him see, while Leandra took a hesitant step backwards. There was something incredibly discomforting to see a hybrid and even more so to know she could be in charge of either of the twins. Her speech was nothing short of an incredibly disheartening kind. The twins were not keen on dying after everything they had been through and this teacher made it seem like they would die in training before they ever got to do something proper.

Hearing someone shout at the hybrid, Leandra groaned and placed a hand on her face. "Idiot," she muttered while Manjano seemed to relax a bit and even chuckle. There was bravery and then there was idiocy. They were here to learn and improve and that lack of humility would surely get that guy killed. Neither of the twins could see where the shouting was coming from, but there was a restless unease in the crowd now. A few around them began whispering their doubts and concerns. The twins exchanged a look, but were adamant to see this through. They had traveled a fair distance just to get here, they were not about to turn around to a life of desolate misery now.

Hearing the first hunt was happening tonight, Leandra's heart skipped a beat and she worriedly looked to her brother, who's expression had hardly changed at this news. Not long after this announcement, many of those around them began exiting the hall. Apparently, they had not fully understood just what they were signing up for. The twins matched each other's grim expressions at the mention of going home, though. They had no home to return to. This was their home now, whether they liked it or not.

An eccentric-looking hunter leapt down from the stage and was soon attempting to collect the remaining recruits for their first hunt. His words were more or less encouraging and the twins merely sighed in sequence before trailing after him. They were not entirely keen on meeting the other recruits around, as they were not sure if anyone may die tonight. If someone were to die, then it would be rather pointless to waste their breath introducing themselves. As they headed towards the courtyard, Manjano began pulling out each of his knives and double checking them while Leandra sifted through her bag and counted her stockpile of potions again.

armita-jpg.531376

The grand hall was crowded with people when Armita arrived. Many recruits were standing in front of the main stage, chatting excitedly. A podium was placed in the center of the stage with a steambot frantically searching flipping through a stack of notecards in his hands. It wasn’t the first bot she had seen but the way he clang to his papers made her wonder why it hadn’t saved its lacture in his memory sooner. She thought maybe some steamboats didn’t have good memories but then how could they simulate human thinking with so much lack of memory? She shook her head and let that thought go away. She wasn’t an engineer so she didn’t need to ache her head with mysteries of bots. Behind the lack wit bot, four people had sat equally on both sides. They had their judging eyes on the fresh eager force gathered in the hall. Armita decided that they were brains of the Vigil or at list part of it. She watched them talking among themselves and tried to judge them on her behalf. The weirdest was a woman with ashen skin who most probably was a half blood. It was a pathetic condition from her people’s perspective but she was well aware that inhuman powers were also part of the deal. That was their birth right from their vampire parent. On the other hand, their very existence brought up the question that if are or have been humans. If that theory could be true they would be more like hellishly cursed ones. Since it was rude to stare at a person, she took her eyes off the deserter and paid attention to the other woman who was watching her pocket watch. The first woman seemed to be unsatisfied while the later was as calm as an iceberg. Armita felt that she was going to like the pocket watch woman better. In men’s part, the odd one was a silent guy with a mask. It was impossible to guess how he might look like or how old he was yet he looked to be in the league as the calm woman. The last watcher was a hot uncle. In fact he was more hotheaded than hot. She realized it after he almost started a quarrel with the deserter. It wasn’t practically a quarrel but only some bickering yet it couldn’t escape Armita’s eyes. Maybe if the steambot hadn’t interrupted with starting the ceremony she could witness their quarrel too.

The ceremony began with a thud coming from a tap on the microphone. No one cared. It cleared his throat. What? What exactly might be your problem? Dry throat? You’re a bot! But still no one care. Pay attention people. Do your steambots fart too? She could yell at them but she didn’t care that much. Then he was begging for their attention and yet they didn’t care. If the bot had a heart it’d have been broken to shards by then.

... SHUT IT, YOU FUTURE MEAT SHIELDS ...

This startled Armita and hit her badly. Meat shield? Why meat shield? How cruel. Who has programmed this malfunctioned bot? I’ve come to become a defender not a meat shield. She felt boiling from inside but managed to cover it well. She didn’t feel welcomed at all yet the bot expected applause from them. Does it believe that it’s a person? Can steambots even believe? Why in a hell they have had a bot to lead their ceremony in first place? As expected, only silence could be heard after that pathetic attempt. Finally it started explaining regulations of the school though Armita preferred to call it a preparation course. It even mentioned a data base that she had doubted its existence at the beginning of the ceremony. She already knew which group she was sorted in so looked the projected list up for name of the instructor of Will group. After that, the deserter took the podium for speech. Armita concluded that their order of speech had been decided regarding their oddness; the less human they were the sooner they spoke.

The golden eyed woman was surly unfriendly. She didn’t even bother to introduce herself. Instead, she laughed at them. Her claims planted seeds of doubt in Armita’s heart. She had come to learn how to kill a vampire. She definitely didn’t know how to even survive against one. But the instructor hadn’t mention learning at all. It sounded like she expected them all to know how to fight. Well, she didn’t. She was struggling with her worries when some fool challenged the deserter. Speak on your own behalf you damned idiot! She wished she could shout out. What kind of school as I if no one needed to learn? She certainly did. At this time the uncle looking instructor spoke up and Armita learned that the deserter’s name was Iosefka. And when she snapped back they knew that the whiskered man was called Sir Walter. Given that, the other two instructors who had calmly remained on their seats were Judith Myrtle Wilkins and Caspian, which meant her instructor was the strange masked man. Why did I expect someone like Dr. Brown? It could be a wood-witch as far as Vigil seems to be concerned.
Despite of Iosefka’s believes about steps of teaching, Armita preferred to prepare for her opponent before facing them. Some of attendants had weapons with them while all she could do was slapping vampires then healing the red finger marks on their cheeks. Even that seemed unlikely since she doubted if she could leave red marks on a vampire’s pale skin.
The crowed pushed her back as made way for the ashen instructor. Her words were filled with paradox as she walked through them. She said she didn’t want to bury them while she intended to take them to battlefield right away. I don’t get this woman at all.
Armita watched more and more volunteers leaving the hall. She only knew that she couldn’t go back after coming this far. She knew about the danger and had decided that she had to act or humans were going to became lambs for vampires to slaughter. As much as it was her duty to fight vampires it was Vigil’s responsibility to teach her to fight, to train her in a reasonable way. She couldn’t fight yet but she wasn’t going to leave either. She stayed in her place for a third option to show up. And it showed itself in form of Miss Wilkins. The lady spoke and gentlemen followed her. Walter even jumped down from the stage to give them a warm speech about a test and real teaching after that. That convinced Armita, so she followed them out to the courtyard feeling less insecure. With four instructors hunting together, she had a chance to stand aside and watch instead of becoming vampire food.
It was at the courtyard that she noticed only a few volunteers had remained. She could count five women and four men. Including herself, they were no more than finger count. That wasn’t sign of a promising future for the vigil even though some of them were nasty looking ones.

Archon Archon @Keybored Yatasal Yatasal @laughingman12 The Black Knight The Black Knight @monochromegalaxy mortoria mortoria Tiramiisu Tiramiisu Lioness075 Lioness075

Last edited:
1549995754466.pngAmber played with a lepidolite rock, turning it over and over in her hands as she listened. She didn't like what she heard--though it looked like no one else did either. She had sympathy for hybrids, knowing what it was like to be in the minority. However, brashness and hard words wouldn't win the hybrid any favors, and certainly not any friends. Amber took a deep breath, clearing her mind and focusing on her goal. She wanted to hunt vampires, but in truth, she didn't know exactly why she wanted to hunt them. All that she knew was that she must, and that she had the blessing of her family to do so. They had spent many weeks consulting the cards and the night sky, and the eventual conclusion was for Amber to come here, to be trained as a vampire hunter.

She slipped the rock back into her pocket as the hybrid moved through the crowd, calling for volunteers to join her outside. She glanced around, and noticed most of the recruits weren't eager to follow the hybrid woman out on their first hunt. Shouldn't they receive some training first? Or even some proper self-defense skills, something before they set out on their first hunt where death was not only possible but likely? Amber didn't have any weapons on her besides the knives hidden securely in her boots for emergencies. Her Da had taught her how to use them of course, but Amber hadn't ever needed to use them to defend herself. The other weapon she had was her glass magic... But Amber couldn't see how that would help her if she were attacked by a vampire.

Amber intended to stay in the hall with the other nervous recruits, preferring survival over a meaningless death, but someone moved beside her, hitting her left shoulder and Amber took a step forward to catch herself. She heard herself mutter, "Oh, sorry," but then she felt a card from her tarot deck drop from her pocket to the floor. I really should get a box or a string for those... Amber thought as she bent to pick up the fallen card. She turned it over, and frowned at the card that had fallen. The King of Cups, a card that Amber didn't see very often. It usually meant strength or compassion, but it could also mean courage in the face of disaster or other trials. Her eyebrows furrowed together as she searched the card's picture, a simple drawing of a cup with the symbol of a crown underneath it.

Courage... Does that mean I should go to the courtyard? Amber wondered, fingering the card. She took another breath, drawing the courage from the card. It must be. Cards don't fall without reason, just as they aren't placed without reason. Amber nodded to herself, and slowly left the crowd of recruits and joined the others outside. There weren't many, and Amber felt immediately out of place. But she took one last look at the card, and slipped it back into her pocket with the rest of her deck. King of Cups means courage. I can be brave... I hope.

Vigil's Keep, the incandescent jewel of Nevermore's Streets, a towering bulwark of stone and steel twisted in victory above the night sky. It was truly a sight to behold, for one so cold as Dragonfly to feel such enigmatic elation at the sight of the city was remarkable, the sheer scale and immensity of everything was both terrifying and thrilling, the cities massive frame was a far cry from the desolate cruelty she remembered of home - if it could be called that - an endless screen of death, that same mountain peak haunting her nightmares, an angry specter unwilling to let go. It mattered not, here she was free, free to make a new start and do something worth her time and talents.

Within the Keep, she awaited the ceremony. Drifting through the amalgamation of like-minded hunter recruits, the echoes of laughter washing over the halls, incessant chatting and small-talk paving way for a rude awakening in the form of an awe-inspiring collection of talking metal. The martial artist could only stare beneath her hood, he mind racing to keep up with the spectacle before her eyes. A steambot. A real steambot, in the steel! It was an incredible display of science, so lost in her miring she failed to pick up on the bot's disheartening error, the audible gasps and concerned glances from the others serving only to confuse the woman.

Though soon, the joy of discovery was put to rest, the hybrid taking the stage with a storming flame. Her anything but kind, hate, bitterness and hostility seeped from her twisted tongue and the young runaway began to feel an irrational - yet extreme - anger. The way she commanded their lives, like meat to be used, served as a cold reminder of her time with the Marauders. Monsters and demons made flesh. Someone among the audience clearly shared her sentiments, though for differing reason. The man's foolhardy approach to the hybrid's taunt wasn't entertained, instead the witch beckoned for the recruits to follow and, lacking an alternative, Dragonfly obliged. Face red with determination, the woman clenched her hands into bawled fists, a forceful stride marking her way through the crowd. She would earn her respect, through blood and bone.

sand-dunes.regular.png

There were more people here than Eoin expected. Why he hadn’t expected a packed assembly at a Hunter school, he couldn’t exactly tell you. It was like a gathering at a concert. Everyone gazed up at the podium at a motley of characters who all condescendingly peered down at them as though they were just another batch. They were the instructors, and he could tell from observing their appearance that they had done this many times before. Auburn eyes beneath bladed bangs of sandy-brown hair turned to regard the prospects who surrounded him. Some of the students looked just as seasoned as the instructors. Eoin’s eyes lowered and he took notice of the bladed weapons fastened, strapped, and some even magnetized at their hips and back. Subconsciously, Eoin’s hand went to his own belt, his fingerpads probing it as he felt the normal leather. He patted his hips and pockets, and then lowered his hands hopelessly. Were we supposed to bring our gear? Eoin thought nervously.

The steam bot took the podium and started coughing for everyone’s attention, but the hunters were so excited and full of chatter that they hadn’t taken any notice. Eoin again glanced to his left and right at the gaggle who continued to talk until the robot made him jump as it screamed: SHUT IT, YOU FUTURE MEAT SHIELDS!

Meat shields? Eoin thought. Was that what they all were? Without his gear, he was certainly feeling like one, but he swore this was supposed to be a simple assembly. A list flashed on the screen behind the bot, and as it encouraged, Eoin searched the list for his name. He was in the “willpower” curriculum. Apparently, someone felt that he had a magical talent. Eoin glanced to the silent instructor who hid behind his eerie, white mask. Christ… What a draw.

An ashen women took the podium next and she looked upon them all grimly. Whispers rose like disturbed dust around him: Hybrid. Hybrid? Eoin thought. He had heard of Hybrids existing but he had never seen one before until that moment. First impression: scary. He was relieved that she wasn’t his teacher. Facemask was starting to look less like a serial killer and more like a shy guy compared to her attitude.

When a random hunter shouted a challenge up at Iosefka, Eoin’s face paled. Who the hell said that? Nobody clapped a hand over his mouth? he thought in dread. If it wasn’t for the amount of bodies clustered in one space, Eoin might have taken the perspiration that glazed his brow and soaked his pits for genuine fear. He couldn’t tell! He felt terrified.

The crowd divided about the woman as she announced the start of the hunt that night. WHAT!? When she made her demands, Eoin’s head darted about as he watched several hunters take their exit. “They’re getting their gear right?” Eoin asked a passing stranger. He then cracked a weak smile. “I wasn’t the only one who forgot to bring his equipment…”

The hall was soon filled with only a handful of recruits. Eoin still felt confused, fearful, and uncertain. He started walking toward the dormitories. “I can uh…go get my stuff right? I won’t get kicked out? I mean I actually work here.”

Everyone was ignoring him, and internally, the man cried. I’m going to die, he thought as he reluctantly followed after Iosefka. Why am I still going? This shouldn’t have anything to do with my job. Oh god, you’re dead meat Eoin. You should have came prepared! This was a nightmare.

“I can uh…go get my stuff right? I won’t get kicked out? I mean I actually work here.”
Amber glanced around at the few recruits who had joined the hybrid woman in the courtyard. She drew her shoulders inward, and tried to find some measure of courage within herself. When the young man next to her spoke, mentioning his stuff, Amber drew a small anxious breath. How long was this journey or quest or... well, whatever this was going to be? Amber had a few things on her, stuffed in various pockets, but nothing to actually survive in the wild. Especially not with the threat of vampires. But, he said he worked here, at the school. Maybe he'd know a bit more of what was going on... At least, more than Amber knew. He seemed as confused as she was, maybe even a bit frightened, but still. A little knowledge was better than none at all.

She took a step forward, then immediately stepped back into place. She couldn't just walk up to a complete stranger and demand to know what was going on. That was rude. Maybe... Maybe she could ask a clarifying question? Get the hybrid woman's attention... What was her name? They had said it not five minutes ago, and yet Amber had already forgotten. No, what if that was rude too? Besides, she didn't seem to be in the best of moods today... But she still needed to know what was going on!

Amber's thoughts broiled inside her, and she eventually glanced to her right at the young man who said he worked at the school. She stared at him, wondering how best to phrase the question without sounding rude. She stuck her hand in her pocket, finding both the lepidolite stone and the deck of cards. King of cups. "Um, excuse me..." Amber asked softly, reaching out to lightly tap the man on the arm. "Do you know what is going on?"

The Black Knight The Black Knight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back