Advice/Help Nation Building!

cheeseburger90210

900 words from dead!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Maybe I am overthinking this? or not?
I have ready some walk through posts on nation building and I still do not understand how it is different
in simple words that are easy to understand?
The ones I do get I dont understand the why?
Why? how is that different then normal roleplay?
I never get an answer for that one.
So without over stating it?
with basic language?

How do you define nation building in your own words?

In a nation building roleplay you do not play an individual character.

You play a group.

So for instance you might play an entire army that is fighting a different army.

Now how that works in a practical sense I couldn’t say as it’s not my particular cup of tea. But that is the simplest explanation I have ever been given.

Hello. There are many different types of nation builders. But I will certainly say that the type that myself, Beckoncall Beckoncall and Cosmo Cosmo tend to run are ones where you are either in charge of a small group or an entire nation and their development.

Typically to show advancement, there are various stats that depict your main leader character and stats for those that are under them.

Battles and adventures in these are usually resolved via rolling dice. And as such, these specific types of nation builders are usually hybrids with the main story being written out on RPNation and adventures/ diplomacy/ rolling dice to be handled on discord.

In my nobility-based nation builder, you do play as characters, but they are in leadership roles (uhh mostly). I keep track of money, lands, ships and soldiers, and got a giant map to show who owns what territory.

Two players (A, B) besieged a castle. One of them (B) literally snuck in with their character and opened the door so that A could charge in with the army they both had. They win!

In a different siege, another player (C) took a more command-based approach, ordering the construction of a ram, catapult, ladders, etc. He lost a few dozen men in the first assault, but had an army of thousands.

Another player (D) allied with another (E), and agreed to break the siege of C (who was sieging an NPC ally of theirs). However, D's uncle (NPC) was kidnapped by C, and D's character flew into a rage which lead him to making a strategic error - attacking C's army before his ally, E, arrived. So, the characters of C and D meet on the battlefield, and C defeats D. D's army is routed and he loses 1,000 men.

Then, A and B arrive to help C's siege, but E's army blocks them. These three guys then organize a deal to avoid a battle, since E is less willing to fight since C defeated his ally, D.

A and B's characters have also argued with each other before, even though their "nations" (lordships) were allies.

So, I'd still say a lot of Nation RPs are character based. There is just a big management aspect tacked on.

Also, we use a diceroller for some stuff.

So its like Life Within or Command and Con Red Alert or Star Craft 2? You use dice instead of having someone being "creative"? nice, old school! respect.

ok TY

Not necessarily, creativity can make you win, the dice rolls just stop everything from being absolute/powergamey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back