Literature NaNoWriMo 2018

Whoo, we're 1/3 of the way through it! I just passed 19,000 words. It's been tough, but I'm determined to see this through to the end.

Alright, how about everybody introduces a character of their story? (If you write fiction, if not introduce an idea you develop) You can intro the main character, a side character, a character that’s there for two seconds, up to you :)

ohhh characters!
My story has multiple main characters. They're usually together but split to separate storylines sometimes. Two of the main characters are siblings. The 3rd one is somewhat of a love interest for one of them, but they will have a sad ending. Well, it's not the 'everyone dies' kind of sad ending, it's just unrequitted love till the end.
I actually have a lot of illustrations with those characters but I don't want to share them because the novel is not ready yet. ^^ If it ever gets finished (and I hope it will, just probably not in November) I'll post it somewhere with illustrations and concept arts.

Meet [name3]. He is the perfect guy around: charming, wealthy, brave, smart and a known hero who happens to be in love with [name2]! Really, there's only two faults with him. The first is entirely not his fault, he happens to be the son of a certain guy who maybe perhaps betrayed the group of heroes that saved the world long ago. And the other thing is...

as it turns out, he failed the audition to be the MC of this story. Something about being down with "Mary Sueness" or somethin.

Uff, I started off strong this year, but I ended up losing it due to a bad emotional funk, and now I can't seem to drum up the will to write the story anymore. The idea was interesting, I think, but it's out of my usual solo-genre, so writing it solo lost its appeal. I want to work on it, but I'm so uninspired. Makes me sad xD; So I'm trying to write my roleplay stories more often as a substitute. At least I'm writing?

Whoo, we're 1/3 of the way through it! I just passed 19,000 words. It's been tough, but I'm determined to see this through to the end.

Congratulations!! Time for a reward, almost?

I've been trying to be well ahead my schedule because I'm worried about work and personal stuff picking up pace this month. So far it's working, as long as I get my hours on Saturdays to write lmao!

Uff, I started off strong this year, but I ended up losing it due to a bad emotional funk, and now I can't seem to drum up the will to write the story anymore. The idea was interesting, I think, but it's out of my usual solo-genre, so writing it solo lost its appeal. I want to work on it, but I'm so uninspired. Makes me sad xD; So I'm trying to write my roleplay stories more often as a substitute. At least I'm writing?

I remember like three years ago when I took a hiatus from this site due to some personal drama that it was really hard to get into solo writing. I asked a friend to kind of kickstart me by writing a couple of 'posts' with me and after we got the ball rolling I continued on my own. Maybe you can ask someone to get you a post or two to support you? :D Don't worry, you can do it! Or alternatively, nothing stops you from totally changing the course of the story since all you gotta do is get the words in. That's it! No need to have a Pulitzer prize winning piece. I know my story is an absolute chaos right now haha.

Thanks for sharing some characters! Love the descriptions. Here's mine:

Dee is a side character, more specifically MC's best friend from high school and college. Her family is quite well-off and traditional in values, hoping that Dee will graduate and soon marry a worthy man. But Dee has other plans, and has thus distanced herself from her parents. She wants to keep streaming VR games and save up enough money to find out what happened to her brother, a top scientist of a major tech corporation. Dee's very smart. The MC mentions her being one of the 'smartest people she's ever met', and often relies on Dee when trying to figure her way out of a pinch. She's a tough personality, with hair color that changes every week and a love for flamboyant outfits.

How are you guys faring mid-month?

I came down with a flu, a pretty bad one. Makes me happy I did so much the first few weeks because right now I can't even think properly haha.

How are you guys faring mid-month?

I came down with a flu, a pretty bad one. Makes me happy I did so much the first few weeks because right now I can't even think properly haha.
I'm at 27,700 words atm. Feeling super pumped and motivated brooo

I think it's already safe to assume that I won't make it. I probably shouldn't even have started lol but at least I got some writing done so it's good enough? maybe?
I just don't know how to manage consistant writing while being constantly exhausted and pressed for time with deadlines at work. I spend all my mental capacities at work so much that when I get home in the evening my mind just goes blank and I can barely squeeze out a paragragh. I can't even write for my rp as often as before, which also makes me sad because I have awesome rp.

but I'll keep writing anyway and see how far I can get.

I think it's already safe to assume that I won't make it. I probably shouldn't even have started lol but at least I got some writing done so it's good enough? maybe?
I just don't know how to manage consistant writing while being constantly exhausted and pressed for time with deadlines at work. I spend all my mental capacities at work so much that when I get home in the evening my mind just goes blank and I can barely squeeze out a paragragh. I can't even write for my rp as often as before, which also makes me sad because I have awesome rp.

but I'll keep writing anyway and see how far I can get.

I think even if you won't be able to make it you should give yourself a huge pat on the back for accomplishing what you did! Even a few words written down since November 1st is worth being proud of, because at least you set out on the journey in the first place. One word is better than zero, and so forth. ;)

Hundred percent know what you mean though, about life getting in the way. That's fine, it happens. I've role played since I was but 12 years old and I can tell you there's been busy times, break times and times when I've had all the time in the world to write role plays and stories. That's just life. I couldn't foresee myself getting this sick but here I am, my flu now having turned into a bronchitis. That wasted my entire weekend which is when I write the most, so now I need to start working on catching up big time.

Just know that even if you don't make it to 50k your effort is valuable and that's all that will matter. :D Not whether you have a successful novel at the end of it or something ready to publish, or 50k words, just something you worked on and thought about since the month started.

Good luck to everyone with the remaining ten days! We can do it!

Well, Nano is over... how was it for everyone?

It was my first experience and honestly I'm pretty proud of the fact that I finished. Didn't think I had it in me, with so many things happening last month (getting sick, personal issues etc). I didn't finish my story though so in a way the process continues for me. :D

Congrats!!!

I couldn't deal with extreme exhaustion in the end. But I'll try again next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back