Naming Conventions for RP Characters.

LocoMetal

I'm here to shank and smile!
<p>

I've been in an RP for 5 years now and we started off naming our characters after existing things from colours to objects to concepts and so on. Recently some people from the group have decided to name their characters, minor and major, normal names. Normal as in today's names like Mike, Brandon, Morgan, Maggy, etc. I'm not going to front and straight up tell you it bothers the shit outta me. I think it's lazy and egregious. Now if there were to be a reasoning for this this, a la; from a different part of the RP world where normal names do exist, then sure, fine, I'll just be mad alone, but there is no reason behind it. Then there is another side of it such as that, other parts of the world. Of course there are different cultures and languages so how does one go about naming foreign characters? Some might use a normal (relative to that RP world) but translate it to a different language. Others might just make up their own words and names. <strong>My question to you</strong> is: What is/are you naming conventions and rules for naming characters? If you have any that is.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I have a rather unconventional means of naming characters. When it comes to characters from other worlds entirely, I just simply come up with whatever I wish. Well, depending on what kind of world they're from and what connections said world upholds. In my case though, I simply use whatever I myself like. In my own personal opinion though, I find that if a character comes from a specific place in this world, then one should probably try to do some research into names from that area.

Honestly though, I find that people should put a bit more work into character names. And not just stick something together in a "half-assed" manner. Simply put, I personally think that people should put a bit more time and effort into naming their characters instead of giving half-assed and convenient names.

I like to use the website BehindTheName when naming a character. I either like to give them a symbolic name (I had a drow, and his last name meant 'Moon Crowned' for the drow trait of white hair), or I go for a part of their personality (I had a 'Mongol Horde' leader and his name was mainly comprised of names that meant 'Hero').

I like unconventional names, probably unhealthily. Normal names I usually save for either rps that take place in the real world (giving them a cool nickname/middle name/last name), or someone minor and in the background (or someone who won't live to see the next chapter).

Maybe I'm just odd, but I wanted to toss in my two cents.

I focus towards military rp's, especially WW1, and, WW2, and tend to play Germans, Russians, Serbians, Austrians, and Fins, (Recently got a knack for American chars.). At first i used naming generators, but after seeing so many names and the word parts and such of names for foreign countries i can usually make a name up,

My main rule would have to be to first get used to names in countries, planets, trees, (Whatever the fuck.) And then jump into the deep end after getting used to them.

The only real fantasy names i've created would have to be a species of Human, and a multiverse god.

Lol, I usually just try and think of something that sounds cool. But every once in a while, I'll get a block, and just can't think of a name for my life. At that point, I just use this little technique to attempt to create names that nobody else has.

• First, I just kinda mash my keyboard. xD No, really, I do.

Example: Adiosafhjthr

• Then, I start to remove some letters, and make sure that the entire jumble is easy to pronounce.

Example: Adiosaf

• And after that, I just kinda experiment with the letters a bit, see what sounds cool.

Example: Adiosa, Adosa, Adosae, Dosaea, Eidosa, ect.

So that's my poor excuse for a 'technique' in making, at the very least, interesting sounding names. And if that doesn't work, I could always try again. It's different each time. And if it never works, no matter how many times I try, I just ask around the house, and maybe view some Latin translations of specific words, things like that.

Welp, hope that was interesting enough! Just throwing stuff out there.

Daisie said:
Lol, I usually just try and think of something that sounds cool. But every once in a while, I'll get a block, and just can't think of a name for my life. At that point, I just use this little technique to attempt to create names that nobody else has.
  • First, I just kinda mash my keyboard. xD No, really, I do.

Example: Adiosafhjthr

• Then, I start to remove some letters, and make sure that the entire jumble is easy to pronounce.

Example: Adiosaf

• And after that, I just kinda experiment with the letters a bit, see what sounds cool.

Example: Adiosa, Adosa, Adosae, Dosaea, Eidosa, ect.

So that's my poor excuse for a 'technique' in making, at the very least, interesting sounding names. And if that doesn't work, I could always try again. It's different each time. And if it never works, no matter how many times I try, I just ask around the house, and maybe view some Latin translations of specific words, things like that.

Welp, hope that was interesting enough! Just throwing stuff out there.
That most certainly is an interesting method. Interesting indeed. As someone who basically just pulls names out of a hat, I think I should try using this method more often. It may prove to be rather useful. Thank you for such an interesting method.

WroughtWell said:
That most certainly is an interesting method. Interesting indeed. As someone who basically just pulls names out of a hat, I think I should try using this method more often. It may prove to be rather useful. Thank you for such an interesting method.
Heya! No problem xD Glad I could help ya out! Of course, more often than not, it doesn't come up with very fitting names. Especially if you're trying to make one that's fitting for a specific OC. But it might at the very least, help spark some ideas. ( :) )

Daisie said:
Heya! No problem xD Glad I could help ya out! Of course, more often than not, it doesn't come up with very fitting names. Especially if you're trying to make one that's fitting for a specific OC. But it might at the very least, help spark some ideas. ( :) )
I'm not exactly picky when it comes to names, so it's greatly appreciated. I mean, when it comes to the names I create, such ones as "Skorvauhn" sound a tad odd in retrospect.

Even more so when the name itself sounds like the Actor Vince Vauhn got busy with the chocolate bar "Skors." So, I think a bit of an unorthodox approach can only help contribute to the madness that are my creations.

WroughtWell said:
I'm not exactly picky when it comes to names, so it's greatly appreciated. I mean, when it comes to the names I create, such ones as "Skorvauhn" sound a tad odd in retrospect.

Even more so when the name itself sounds like the Actor Vince Vauhn got busy with the chocolate bar "Skors." So, I think a bit of an unorthodox approach can only help contribute to the madness that are my creations.
xD Hey, I won't judge if you have some crazy names. I've come up with a couple crazy ones, myself. Along with some pretty generic ones, as well. Either way, glad I can help.

Have a good day! ( :) )

Daisie said:
xD Hey, I won't judge if you have some crazy names. I've come up with a couple crazy ones, myself. Along with some pretty generic ones, as well. Either way, glad I can help.
Have a good day! ( :) )
Given how things have been, that'll be a tad difficult. But, never mind that. Either way, the help is most certainly appreciated. I do hope you have a great day.

Interesting. If anything, in my experience, I haven't seen enough people use those more conventional names. In a modern American setting, I would say that having characters named something like Brandon is perfectly acceptable. I've met many people in my life named the exact same things. Chris, John, Rebecca, James, David, the list goes on, sometimes regardless of ethnicity. These are just commonly given names, and it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine someone's parents giving their kid a generic name like that. I've named my character something along those lines for that very purpose on more than one occasion (probably) and fully intend to do so again in the future. That being said, I roleplay/write mostly in a realistic modern American setting, so if this is something you've been seeing in anime/fantasy roleplays... lmaO.

Either way, I like to think about my character's parents a lot when naming a character, and in general when shaping a new character, since they're largely responsible for the environment the character grows up in. If the character has lived a largely ordinary life, at least as far as their parents' efforts go, that's usually when I pull those normal names. If the parents are particularly religious, like with one of my characters, I'll look up any names pertaining to whatever religious text they might give to their kid. Any other circumstances... I go to a random name generator and use things like behindthename to make sure that the name's origin matches up with my character's/their parents' nationality. In a fantasy setting... also a random name generator, and just whatever feels right LOL.

I'm definitely the sort of person to enjoy giving characters meaningful names. I like to think my naming sensibilities have evolved somewhat by making use of sites like "behind the name" and baby name websites that list the meanings of various names.

Before I started doing that, I'd usually name characters German words that I thought sounded cool. Such as my character "Lila Schwartz" (which basically translates to "purple black". She had purple hair and wore black, because I'm creative like that xD ). I also used German words that were a summary of the character, such as "Verrater" (based on the German word for traitor) who was a traitorous character. Nowadays I call her Verra because that sounds more like a legitimate name. I used this method of naming back in high school when I was taking German, so this was mostly done with German words.

Nowadays, I'll search through various names from different countries when making a character. Sometimes their name will reflect their personality, such as my character "Arun" (who's name means sunshine). My most recent character is named "Satoshi" (who's name means "quick witted/clear thinking"). Other times, I just pick a name that that sounds like it suits the character, such as my characters Umeko and Fiora. Searching through a list helps me narrow down what I want the name to be, and while normally I'll pick based on the name meaning, I'll also sometimes pick just because it sounds like it fits the character.

I'll occasionally use more modern and western names (Veronica, Lucy, Allison, and Peony come to mind). It's mainly on the basis of my character and the setting that they're in. If they're in a modern setting, I end up giving them an America/European name, or a common name of whatever ethnicity that they are. Assuming that the setting is America or Europe though, I steer away from giving a name that doesn't fit very well with the setting. Additionally, in a fantasy setting I tend to draw inspiration from Medieval or Victorian era literature, or I pick a name that I don't think people will hear often in everyday life. There's a lot of thought that I put into picking out a name. (I also avoid having characters who's name starts with the same letter as someone else's character. That's probably a pretty strange rule, but I try to adhere to it because it helps me learn the other characters quicker if the names all sound different.)

I feel like we're talking fantasy not modern, though? I mean obviously calling people modern names is fine in a modern setting.

If we're talking fantasy I still don't really have a problem with judicious use of real life names. Names in the real world have come about because they're easy to say and clear, and they sound good. They also tend to have a cultural history that can jump-start the way your character is perceived, if you want to use that effect.

If I name a character Damian you'll probably have some idea what to expect, and it sounds good. Meanwhile if I name him Datrae'nhareale I can't even mentally pronounce it. Within 2 pages I'll be calling him 'Tray' or something anyway, which is a modern nickname, so why did I bother giving him the rest?

That said, some modern names either feel anachronistic in the setting, or just have too-strong associations. I'm not calling an elf Kanye, or George, or Jesus. I might call him Cole, Saul or Petra though.

If you're going to use fantasy names keep them short and sweet, is my feeling. If I name a guy Tick then it's both a name no-one uses in the real world and automatically gives you some impressions about what he's like. I can then subvert those expectations if he turns out to be a hero or something.

One useful tactic I've found is to check out birth/death records from the general period in which you're writing, then start mix-n-matching. (Obviously, this isn't much help if you're trying to name an orc; it can be great help if you're trying to pick a name for your gunslinging cowboy.)

I like going this route, because it can show regional name trends, and besides that: you know the name's general air is authentic.

I name characters based on etymology and symbolism. Is the setting broadly West African in inspiration? I'll check out some names or words in various West African languages until I find something appropriate to the character or their parents. Then I'll muddle the phonemes a bit so it fits the setting - somewhat drawn out for fantasy or formal, more truncated for sci-fi or informal.

And as Rednightmare says, if it's a historical RP just looking at regional records works nicely.

It really depends for me.

If it's a realistic roleplay, the name depends on the character's nationality and heritage. If I have a French girl for example, then a French first name and a French last name do it for me, even if I spend at least an hour online finding a first name that I like, a last name that I like, and making sure they sound good together (well, to me, anyway). If I have a girl living in France whose parents are Russian, then either a Russian or French first name, or one that works for both nationalities, or a French first name and Russian middle name. Or even a hyphenated name that inspires a cool nickname. My thing is, it has to make sense, I have to like it, and it has to fit my character. You will not find any Australian Sakuras with me, or any Japanese Veronicas, know what I mean? I have zero tolerance for names that seem like they came out of left field.

I will sometimes spend a lot of time on baby-naming websites (Nameberry, you the real MVP), I will play around with meaning and personality and I will read opinions. I take character names pretty seriously.

For fantasy, it's more what sounds good to me and what I think makes sense given the setting and culture. My fantasy names are always made up, or are real-life names altered to fit my setting. And even then, I'm sometimes picky about language conventions and naming rituals and things. But like I said, I make up my fantasy names based on what I like and what I think suits the character.

Sometimes, I'll get an idea for a character and immediately know what I want them to be called. Example: I got the idea a couple years ago of a very young queen whose parents were murdered (original, I know), whose storyline mostly revolved around dealing with doubt (her critics' and her own) and trauma, mastering her magic, and avenging her parents' deaths. Modifications have been made to this character since I originally came up with her, but one thing has not changed: from the very beginning, I named her Elleseere. It just felt right.

So yeah, that's my way of doing things most of the time. The right name just helps me really get the essence of a character, I guess. If a name doesn't fit, then it just doesn't fit. Go with your gut.

Combination of generators and reading into meaning of names. For instance, I am in the process of making a beefy Jersey dude for a superhero thread. I decided for the sake of laughs to give him the the last name Basso. From what read, it means "thickset" for the language it comes from. So... yeah. :U

This thread is pretty nice to read. Personally I just literally yahoo "good female names" and try to see how unqiue the answers are. Sometimes I look for a certain meaning that would represent my character, I tweak as I go and I spend some time getting a name that I would like. My first character is called Striker since a long time ago and honestly I could find so much more better names that represents his character, yet at this point I'm keeping it for sentiment values (this is rambling but meh). I have a character literally named Blaze but I suppose that's just a fantasy thing, and refers to my character to be associated with fire. One of my other characters is Aurora because the aurora lights is simply serene. Long story short, I associate names with things and ideas.

If I create characters in the "real" world I take in account their nationality, the era they are in and their role in the story. I try to also give the names meaning by researching the roots of each name so I can give each character not only a name but also a connection to the role they will play.

In more fantasy or sci-fi settings I start by checking the race they belong to and think what language would be more akin to it. Then I make a system to alter said language, changing a vowel, altering the number of syllabes or adding ' here and there if needed to create a quick faux-language.

I just come up with anything I think sounds cool, I really don't put much thought behind names, honestly.

My methods change on how I'm feeling and the type of rp, but the different methods themselves are pretty consistent.

I do a lot of modern/realistic rps. Like Pine, I tend to consider the parents and their background. A Christian parent is a lot more likely to name their child things like Jacob, Evangeline, or Christian than a non-Christian (names like Jacob have been popularized but are probably found more frequently in Christian families.) People whose parents or grandparents are immigrants might have a name from their culture/language (if it's different from America/English) or a totally average American name like John depending on why their relatives moved. My great-grandparents were from Holland but didn't try to give any of the culture or the language to their kids. Some people might be proud and others might want to try to blend in.

People who's parents are unconventional might end up with an unconventional name. I have a male character with the middle name Alice because Alice in Wonderland is his awkward author father's favorite story, and his much more practical mom refused to let him make it his first name.

That being said sometimes I'll scan nameberry for random names (within the confines of having a certain origin. or not) that just sound good and feel right for the character. You just know when you see the name that you like it, or maybe you find a few and narrow it down from there.

Sometimes I'll go the "look for a name with meaning relating to the character" route anyways even though I'm doing a modern/realistic and ignore the "what are their parents like." I've never considered what Janus' average parents were thinking when they named him. Maybe they just liked original names! Maybe one of them liked mythology! It doesn't always have to be complicated.

As for my rps when GMing.... it depends on the setting, but anything reasonable is accepted. Japanese names for the sake of being cool in an rp that takes place in America is a bit of a pet-peeve, but I suppose it would depend on the why and how the rest of the CS is.

For fantasy names I tend to go with the "find some word in another language that has meaning and alter it a bit (or not depending), google it to make sure it's not something from a language, and bam ya good"

Names are pretty symbolic in my case. I am currently writing a Four Swords fanfiction, and I noticed that I choose my names based upon foreshadowing and the character's respective roles. I have a pretty unfriendly Captain who I plan to name Alastor. Alastor is a name that comes from greek mythology that means "the avenger of evil deeds, specifically, familial bloodshed". Much later, I plan on having Alastor attempt to execute [insert spoiler] for suspicion of treason and to settle a score, the demon part of his name referring to how inhumane he can be when he deals out his justice.

As for others, I have about 13 boss concepts. By the time I post the next chapter, one of them will be revealed but not particularly fought until much later. Her name is Grimara, which is a combination of two words. Grim is quite obvious, while ara comes from the word arachnid. This is because Grimara is literally a giant scorpion, and this is a reference to the Scorpio Zodiac as well as the Oracle of Ages villain (Even though one's a spider and the other is a scorpion, they're both arachnids). Grimara isn't the only one, because twelve others will follow this trend and represent their respective Zodiacs. There are 13 in total because I will be including the often-neglected Ophiuchus.

As for another character, the Poe Master, I gave him the name of Velius. Velius is a latin name that means "Concealed", which pretty much sums up his whole mystery. Who he his, what he's doing, why he's doing it. It's all concealed within void. By the time the protagonists figure out what he's done, they would have figured out his true name, which will also reflect his role.

Sometimes though, I tend to swerve away from symbolism and name people after a humorous incident. In chapter 2, we briefly meet a squire named Platz. It's german for "square".

The story behind this is the fact that as my friend was proofreading my chapter before I published it, the squire was unnamed and she read it as square. I guess you can connect the dots.

I try to stick with latin/german/greek oriented names when coming up with Hylian/Dark World names. I hate it when characters are in a medieval-like setting and subjects and the protagonist is named something Japanese like Hana, or something 'MURCA like Taylor. It absolutely contradicts with the setting and stirs up a rocky road of discomfort. When writing a story, I always consider the setting's culture and think about what would people would really be named.

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... ready?

I take four to five to six random letters, and fix em up in a way that sounds good. The first letters you think of. S H G A, for example.

BOOM! Ashg

Now watch as I win no award for best name of the year anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back