Advice/Help My First Time Writting An OC, Advice?

cane suga

🌿 garden of eden 🌿
Hi there! So I decided to put my creativity to the test and I'm going to make an OC, and hopefully have more come after!

Any advice for an OC newbie?

Take quick small bits from your favorite pop culture, nothing big, but acquire a theme, a few examples would be:

Dark Souls for Gritty Fantasy

Dracula for Gothic settings

Power Rangers for Team-based superheroes

Etcetera...

Hi there! So I decided to put my creativity to the test and I'm going to make an OC, and hopefully have more come after!

ummm... My advice? Try to make it coherent in mood, theme, personality and overall story... If you wish to create a tragic character, make such tragedy impact the character in a meaningful way rather than superficially .

do not follow the usual "Oohh I have my family dying infront of me so I am a tragic character who whines about it but apparently has no mental or psychological issues... Also apparently I can have a harem becauae Im tragic...booohooo."

You also do not want to project the ideal perfect being into the character. Think that The character youare making is a mixture of your rival or sibling and a good acquaintance rather than yourself To prevent it from being a Mary Sue...

Finally, Be consistent with realism... You dont want to have "a 16 year old genius girl and has Double D yet weighs only 90 lbs with a 'tragic past yet has several skills without any reason to why they have such skill and a butler..... Who follows you on your adventures" (This is a profile of the bitch who keeps bullying me because I pointed out one time how unrealistic and dumb her rp is with one liner Mary Sue her character is)

Such thing only happens on Anime.

Last edited:
ummm... My advice? Try to make it coherent in mood, theme, personality and overall story... If you wish to create a tragic character, make such tragedy impact the character in a meaningful way rather than superficially .

do not follow the usual "Oohh I have my family dying infront of me so I am a tragic character who whines about it but apparently has no mental or psychological issues... Also apparently I can have a harem becauae Im tragic...booohooo."

You also do not want to project the ideal perfect being into the character. Think that The character youare making is a mixture of your rival or sibling and a good acquaintance rather than yourself To prevent it from being a Mary Sue...

Finally, Be consistent with realism... You dont want to have "a 16 year old genius girl and has Double D yet weighs only 90 lbs with a 'tragic past yet has several skills without any reason to why they have such skill and a butler..... Who follows you on your adventures" (This is a profile of the bitch who keeps bullying me because I pointed out one time how unrealistic and dumb her rp is with one liner Mary Sue her character is)

Such thing only happens on Anime.
Thanks for the advice! I'm almost done making the said OC and I personally think he's going well! If you can, could you possibly look at him when he's finished and give me input for future reference?

Thanks for the advice! I'm almost done making the said OC and I personally think he's going well! If you can, could you possibly look at him when he's finished and give me input for future reference?
Ok. Although my usual method is checking the character details before running them in a "Mary Sue Quiz" which helps majorly in trying to see if a OC falls on the usual traps...

Usually it's good to play against what's expected in order to keep them from being too boring. For example, one of my characters is a stealthy roguish type, but has a strong moral compass and doesn't kill or steal. It's a pretty common trick to making interesting characters.

...That 'Mary Sue' test MikaboshiEinst mentioned is a helpful tool. Especially if you're starting out. It's said that a 'good' OC does contain two or three predictable traits...and four or five quirks.

Learn about the universe your character is living in. Think about them from the ground up; their earliest history. Stray memories. What experiences and culture shaped them. Do they have any habits, fears, or associations they've carried with them? What little things do they like and dislike? Play the 'think fast' game with them. Put them in scenarios. What would they say? What would they do?

The more intimately you know them, the easier they will come to you. And the more believable they'll be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back