• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Mutual Friends

ChibiMonkey

Why stop dreaming when you wake up?
Allison Denvers
Common Nickname: Alice
Height: 5'2
Weight: 121
Hair: Long dark brown, wavy
Eye color: Green
Other appearances: lightly freckled

==================================================================
Despite having visited the city many times over the past years with friends and family for various occasions, either visits to others or just fun trips, Alice was still getting used to actually living in the city. She'd actually been lucky enough to get a decent job in something she wanted to do relatively frequently after graduation college. This past year even before graduation she'd been working hard on her applications, and it finally paid off, getting her a decent entry-level job with a magazine. It wasn't just some crap intern type of job either. While she wasn't an official journalist with her own name yet, she was the assistant to one of others, and where she got to actually do things a journalist would. She got lucky with who she was the assistant of, as he actually let her come along on jobs, sit in on interviews, and such other things. Some of the others weren't always as nice to their assistants and made them errand-runners. Which granted was something she also did, but since it wasn't the only thing she didn't mind so much.

She'd moved to the city for the job after graduating, and while it was a bit nerve-wracking at first, she managed to find a nice apartment with a friend who already had a job in the area. She had graduated a year before Alice, and was in a different field than herself, but they still got along and even as roommates they still got along.

All in all, things were going really well for Alice and she couldn't complain. Even better, a get-together of friends that she was invited to that evening seemed it would have the appearance of someone she'd been interested to meet for a while. They both seemed to have all the same friends for the most part, yet they both had pretty busy schedules and despite having asked their friends about each other had yet to actually meet. Though her roommate, Hannah, who also was going to the gathering mentioned that he said he would likely be making it as well. Though Alice wasn't going to the party just to meet him, and she'd go either way, she had to admit she was interested to meet him after having heard a lot about him from several of her friends.

I sigh as I walk up the steps to Todd and Leslie's home. Todd is a good friend of mine who also works on the force with me and we have helped each other out many times over the years. He is a little older than I am and is taking a more relaxing role and letting others like me pick up the fight on crime more. He also has a family in which he enjoys spending time with. I was told to be there at 6, though nobody really seemed to mention why it was so important for me to come tonight. I look down at my watch and see it is almost 7 and I shake my head, knowing I am going to get some crap for being late.

I knock at the door and a moment later Leslie opens it. She gives me a smile and hugs me as she says, "Oh Mike, thank you for coming!" Before I have a chance to respond she pulls back and punches me in the shoulder a little bit as she say, "Oh, and your late too, you were supposed to be here an hour ago!" I shake my head slowly and raise my hands in surrender as I say, "Sorry, I tried getting out on time tonight, but the Lieutenant was adamant I catch up on my paperwork before leaving. And you know how I hate paperwork! But hey, look, I did dress up like you told me too." I turn around slowly so she can see the deep blue dress shirt and black slacks I have on. She rolls her eyes at me and shakes her head as she grabs my shirt and tugs me inside and says, "Come on." I don't argue as she pulls me along and leads me into the living room where a lot of my friends are. She deposits me into a recliner and says to me, "Don't go anywhere."

Before I have a chance to respond she turns and walks away. The group looks at me and I look back at them and after a minute I finally ask, "Did I do something wrong? I'm told to be here, dress nice, and I show up and it feels like I'm in trouble for something." They all start to laugh at me, obviously finding the situation more amusing than I do. I look at the doorway that she left through, my mind wondering what on earth is going on since she doesn't normally act like this.

Alice had arrived not too long after six, the given time that everyone was said to come at and it started. Though Alice never really showed up exactly when things were said to start, for the main factor that she knew most people didn't show up the exact time. She arrived about fifteen minutes after six with her roommate, and most of the people invited had gathered either by then or within a few minutes after her arrival. There were a few people she didn't know there, but for the most part she knew most of everyone, some people more than others, and other people more just like acquaintances. She was enjoying it though, she she didn't often have time to go out and just have fun with a bunch of friends, or relax like this. Usually with her new job she was so busy, often doing a lot of grunt-work, though, in addition to the real work. The man she was an assistant to at the company said it was good experience, even though she got to do the real work and participate in the exciting, fun part of the job, she should also know what it's like to get there, and what has to be done in addition to the not-so-fun aspects of the job. Like researching, and trying to find leads and good stories to develop on.

While she had been told that someone they wanted to introduce her to would be coming tonight, Alice hadn't really thought a whole lot about it. Sure, she was interested to meet the guy, though she wasn't really considering it a big deal or anything, nor was too disappointed when it seemed this said guy hadn't shown up yet. She didn't realize that it had been a couple of their mutual friends intentions to want to set the two of them up together, and that they were pretty determined about it too.

It was nearing around seven o'clock when she was talking to one of the friends there she hadn't seen in a while in the kitchen area of the house, though their conversation was suddenly interrupted by an excited Leslie who seemed eager to take her somewhere "Alice, come with me!" she spoke, though wasn't really making it a choice for the brunette as her hand was grabbed and she was pulled along to a different room, the living room where they stopped in front of a man she didn't recognize. "Mike, this is Allison. Or Alice. Alice, this is who I mentioned to you before, Mike" she introduced the two, happy to finally be able to do so. Alice looked to the man sitting in the chair before her, taking half a moment to register what Leslie said before something in her brain clicked "Oh! You're Mike, it's nice to finally meet you. Leslie and some of the other have talked about you a bit before" she smiled politely to the man as they were introduced to each other.

I'm in the middle of a story when two people appear in front of me. I lean back in my chair a little bit so I can look up easier at them. I easily recognize Leslie, as I have known her for years. But the other person is completely unfamiliar to me. I look up at her as I hear Leslie speak and I find the other woman to be very striking. I manage to hear Leslie's words as she introduces the other woman to me. When I hear Alice's name, I remember Leslie mentioning her to me a couple of times in the last few months. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well! Alice.....Alice....she has mentioned your name before" I tell her, trying to recall from where.

I reach out a hand to her to greet her and I take this opportunity to glance up and down. She was a very lovely looking woman, but it was clear that looks weren't the only thing that this woman had. She seemed to have a very pleasant personality. Some people have told me time and again that you can't tell that right away, but after being a police officer for nearly a decade I have become very adept at reading people. Peoples first reaction when encountering someone new can tell you a lot about them. She clearly enjoyed meeting new people and enjoyed talking to them.

Her name finally clicks in the back of my mind as I shake her hand gently, "Oh, right, Alice. You just became a journalist or something right? Whats it like digging into stories and finding out everything you can about them?" I lean back into the recliner I am sitting in, waiting to hear what she has to say when someone behind her clears his throat. I turn and look at him as I say, "Oh Jason, you have heard that story before. You can wait a little bit for me to finish it." I turn my attention back to her, waiting to hear what she has to say.

Upon seeing his outstretched hand, Alice took it in her own and lightly shook his hand in turn, smiling a bit as she could tell he seemed to recognize her name and be trying to recall the information with it. She figured someone had told him about her similar to how she'd been told about him a bit before, though, she didn't mind all too much if he didn't remember or anything. After a few moments though he seemed to remember something, which did surprise her a bit he recalled her job and such, causing her to smile a bit which revealed small dimples in her cheeks "Yes, that's right" she confirmed her job "It's a lot of work, but I really enjoy it. Some people find it weird I guess but I've always been fascinated with other peoples lives moreso than my own" she joked a bit.

Hearing a slight cough beside them she glanced to the man Mike had previously been talking to before she and Leslie had interrupted the conversation, and hearing Mike excuse he'd finish the story to him later before turning his attention back to her, she smiled a bit apologetically "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt or anything" though it seemed Mike didn't really mind the interruption all that much. Jason just seemed to give in and shrug it off though after Mike's words, seeing he was more interested in talking to someone else rather than himself at the moment. He could bother him about that later since he saw him all the time.

After seeing that it seemed alright for her to stay and continue talking to Mike, she moved to sit down on an open spot at the end of the couch that was beside the chair Mike was sitting in, before continuing their conversation. "I heard you're a police officer right? Have you been one for long?" she asked curiously, interested to keep the conversation going and learn a bit more about Mike. She'd been told about him briefly before on occasions, though never anything too much for her to really know the guy without meeting him, like she was nice.

Last edited:
I see her dimples when she smiles and it only adds to her looks. I don't mind if Jason gets upset with me, he is always begging for me to tell stories, even if they have heard them before. It would be nice sometimes to come over and sit down and just have a normal conversation with someone once in a while. It certainly didn't hurt the cause any if that someone was cute. I see Alice sit down on the couch next to me and now part of me regrets getting a recliner. Though I think Leslie did that just to keep me away from Jason. She knows how he gets under my skin.

I turn my attention towards Alice As she sits down and I hear her ask about me being a police officer. I shrug a little and say, "Yeah, kinda. I graduated high school and went straight into the academy. So I have been a police officer for about......a decade I guess. Wow, I didn't realize it had been that long already." I say as I rub my eyes a little, feeling exhausted. I work a lot of hours because I am single and have no reason to be home, though there are times part of me wished I had a dog.

I look back at Alice before asking, "So, do you prefer Alice, Allison, or something else? Some people have a preference though I'm not one of them, I don't like to be picky. I just like the sound of Allison a little better." I look deep into her eyes, wanting to focus on nothing else as I wait to hear her response. I prop my head up on one arm as I lean towards the side of the recliner closest to you.

After asking him about how long he'd been a police officer, she smiled a bit in amusement as he started off saying 'kinda', but then seemed to fall upon the realization it's been just about a decade. "Kinda? I would definitely consider that a long time" she said with a smile as she thought about the information she'd just received. So he went into the academy after graduation high school, and he's been working as a cop for a decade. So that made him...about 28? Maybe 29? When Leslie and the others had talked about Mike to her before, they never mentioned his exact age other than how he was a bit older than herself, or more around Adam's age, another mutual friend. Not that age in particular mattered to her all that much, unless, say, the man was old enough to be her grandfather or something and in an entirely different generation. But even though it didn't bother her, it was just general good information to know.

"It seems like you must really like the job then if you've been at it for so long. I'm sure it's a lot of work, but it's nice you were able to find something you enjoy" she explained, before noticing him rubbing his eyes, and upon closer inspection now that she was really paying attention to him, she could tell how tired he was. She may not be a detective, or cop, or anything like that, however, being a journalist - even if only for a short time so far - she was able to tell a lot about individuals, how they were feeling, if they were lying or not, things like that. It's what made a good journalist who was able to see and grab at the deeper parts of stories that people loved to hear and know about. And like now, she was able to read and see how tired the male was.

"We're you working today? You seem awfully tired" she admitted what she noticed to the male "I'm surprised you came here if you really are tired. You should try and get more rest" she suggested considerately, before hearing him then ask about her name, and she shrugged her shoulders a bit "Most people call me Alice. Though if you'd prefer to call me Allison I have no problem with it. Honestly I'm not too particular about my name...I've had a few people call me Ally before in the past too, though, I've never really been too fond of that name" she commented with a shrug of her shoulders.

I hear her remarks about me getting more sleep. It is nothing that I haven't heard before from many others, both coworkers and friends. I smile a little as I say, "Well it seems I never get enough sleep, no matter how hard I try. As for coming, Leslie was getting a little upset with me for ducking out so many times in the past. She was very adamant about me being here tonight. If I remember correctly it was something along the lines of I better be here or she was going to kick my butt so hard that I wouldn't be able to sit on it or move for a month. So I made sure to be here tonight so nothing bad would happen to me or my butt." That gets a few laughs from the room. I turn and notice the room watching us intently. I roll my eyes, hating being the center of attention, especially in situations like this.

"How about we go out on the deck? That way we can talk and be alone, instead of the center of everyone else's attention." I stand up and gently take your hand in mine and lead you out to the deck, leaving them behind. It is a bit cool outside so I grab a blanket on the way out and my coat for me. We get out there and I pull on my coat and unwrap the blanket and wrap it around your shoulders so as to help keep you warm. "So, why don't you like the name Ally? I think it is a cute name. Then again, I actually don't mind Michael either, which most people with my name prefer to simply be called Mike. Either or is fine for me though." My breath gently rolls across your neck as I make sure the blanket is firmly around you to help keep you warm.

Hearing his reply regarding her comment about sleep, she felt she could understand where she was coming from. While she had a different job, it was also one that required a lot of hours and work put into it, often going overtime herself. So she did understand the busy work kind of lifestyle. Here she was mentioning sleep when she herself should probably be trying to take up her own advice more often. When he continued on about Leslie's threats to him regarding his attendance here tonight, she couldn't help but laugh at the remark, though also hearing a few other laughs joining in as well, causing her to realize others were paying attention to them.

She had completely forgotten about the others in the room once she sat down to start talking to Mike, that it wasn't until some others laughed at the remark she noticed that they weren't the only ones in the room, and moreso, a lot of them were watching the two of them talking and interacting, which caused a very faint blush of embarrassment to dust her cheeks. How awkward.

At his mention of moving to the deck, she nodded her head in agreement as she turned her attention back to him "Sure" she agreed, glad he seemed to feel similarly about the attention having been on the two of them. She got up and followed him outside, smiling a bit as he draped a blanket around her shoulders "Thank you" she commented softly, holding the edges of the blanket securely in her hands to keep it from falling and holding it a bit closer to herself for the warmth it provided. "There's nothing specific about the name I dislike, I just never really preferred it over Alice, or Allison" she shrugged her shoulders slightly, feeling the soft warmth of his breath against her neck.

I make sure that the blanket is going to be enough to keep her warm and that it is properly covering her arms. I look around for somewhere to sit and I see two wicker chairs and a wicker bench. I skip the chairs and sit down on the bench, stretching out my arms so if she sits down near me I can put an arm around her if I decide to. I look up at her as I listen to her talk about the names and I say softly, "Well personally, I never had anything against the name Ally, but I can use Allison, I always found it to be a pretty name."

I think more about her profession and I ask, "So why exactly a journalist. Most journalists don't like getting the full story. Or slant it so it looks just the way they want it to. Not to mention all the fake news that is floating around out there. It is so hard to know what is real and what isn't. I'm curious why someone would choose to get into a field like that." I hope that she doesn't think I feel like she is one of those people. As I thought earlier, she doesn't strike me as the type of person to be like that. She strikes me as a down to earth and very pleasant person.

I wait for her to respond and I glance at the door to make sure we don't have a whole group of people watching us. I see some people kinda looking out, but they appear to be more interested in what is going on than who we are. I look back at her as she stands there in front of me, holding the blanket around her still.

As he moved to sit over on a bench, Alice followed and moved to sit down beside him, not minding the closeness he gave by wrapping his arms around her, despite them having only just met. She smiled a bit at his comment about her name, thanking him lightly for the compliment of finding her name pretty. She also didn't have anything against the nickname 'Ally' either, she just never really cared for it.

When he began to ask about her job and how many in her field were like, she smiled a bit in amusement "Maybe it's ironic, but that's precisely the reason why I wanted to go into journalism, one way or another. There's such a miscommunication of information nowadays, either being biased, or partials of a whole story. I want to be able to communicate the truth of things where a lot of others refuse to" she explained "I know it's going to be hard, but I don't mind it" she further added.

"And besides, I suppose I could say the same thing about you" she smiled a bit as she turned the conversation on to him "There's a lot of things being said and going on about cops nowadays. A lot of people think most of them are corrupt - and I'm sure some of them are, like any community or department of sorts has. But its causing a lot of people to look down on cops, or distrust them. So I could ask the same of you why you'd want to go into a field with so many people thinking negatively about you."

I sigh as I hear the question. It is something a lot of cops have been asking themselves for a while now. I know I wonder about it. It is sad that due to what a small number of cops do wrong that all the rest have to pay for it. I finally say softly, "Most likely for the most naive reasons possible. I want to help people, to make this city a better place to live in. I have always wanted to do that. I was born here, grew up here, and plan on dying here. I don't want this city to just get worse as I grow older. I want to do my part to make it safer. Someday I am likely to have a family. I don't want them to have to worry about going to school, a concert, a friends house."

I look down for a moment before continuing, "Most people don't understand what it is like to be a cop. Day in day out we see some of the most horrible things possible. Murders, rape victims, assault victims, robbery sites, drug dens. Most people think because they have seen Law and Order SVU that they know what rape victims look like and what to expect. It doesn't even come close. I have had more women cry into my work shirts than I ever wanted to as they told me what happened to them by a rapist. I have been on site for some pretty gruesome murders as well. Not investigating them, but to keep people out, patrol the site, things like that. People look for the best in other people. What they fail to realize is we see the worst day after day after day. I once pulled a guy over for driving drunk. In the middle of testing him he tackled me to the ground, going for my gun. He was willing to kill me to beat an OWI charge....." my voice trails off as I remember that night.

After a moment I realize I went on a small rant and I jolt myself out of my thoughts and turn to look at her, offering her a small smile. "I'm sorry, touchy subject. Didn't mean to give you a rant like that.Was that professional curiosity making you ask, or personal?"

After asking the question, Alice wasn't expecting it to be all that serious or personal of a response. Though, she was sure he likely had his just reasons for wanting to do something so dangerous. Unlike how much of social media portrayed cops nowadays, Alice herself still believed in them. Sure, she knew not all of them were good, and there were a lot of corrupt ones. However, she felt that was only normal - any job had it's good and bad seeds, so-to-speak. Similar to what Mike had previously said about many journalists - where it was true that many of them now just skewed information, or made it look a certain way all for the sake of ratings, and beating the other companies.

She fell a bit silent as the subject got a bit darker, not really knowing what to say exactly. After hearing him apologize, she gave her own small apologetic smile "No it's okay. I'm sure its hard. You have such a tough and dangerous job, not just physically but mentally too. It must be pretty hard to deal with people thinking negatively about you're job on top of all of that. Honestly, I don't think you guys get enough credit" she commented softly.

I can see how my dark little rant kinda ruined the fun mood we had going. As I see it there are three options, crash and burn, just give up now, or try to lighten the mood. I look over at Allison and I really don't want to crash and burn or give up. Something about her is just drawing me in. And she clearly doesn't mind my arm being around her. So I decide to go for option three. I figure if I can lighten the mood a little, maybe just maybe things will get turned around. I know virtually nothing about her though. That is a drawback because I don't know what topics I can hit on that she likes. Then again, not knowing anything opens up all sorts of doors because I can ask about anything and be ok.

I turn back towards her, my eyes connecting with hers. "So tell me, what does our little journalist here like to do when she isn't at work? Go to movies and write reviews afterwards? Write stories just to rile people up? I know, I know, you go out there and mess with news anchors just to be a pain! I get calls about someone doing that all the time and I bet its you!" I tell her with a smile as I point a finger at her playfully with my free hand.

Despite the awkward mood that had momentarily settled in after Mike's small rant about his work and such, she didn't think that had to mean the conversation in general had to end. Maybe that one specifically, but she didn't want to just call it quits now that they hit on one touchy subject. It was bound to happen - especially with someone you didn't really know yet. That's why they were talking, to be able to get to know each other more. If everyone automatically ended all interest with someone over the first sensitive or awkward sort of topic or mood that came up between them, then there likely wouldn't be as many friendships, or any type of relationships around as there were now.

As she was trying to think of something else to say to change the topic, Mike seemed to have the same thoughts on his mind and beat her to it. She looked to him curiously when he asked a casual question about what she otherwise liked to do outside of work, though she was a bit pleasantly surprised and amused when he continued on about it in a teasing manner, playfully joking around with her and she couldn't help but let out a soft laugh "Ah, darn, you found me out did ya? I guess you caught me" she smirked back playfully as she held her hands up momentarily in defeat "So what are you going to do? Lock me up now?" she joked.

I laugh a little when I see her play along with the joke. I am glad to see that she wasn't thrown by my little rant. I was afraid that she wouldn't take the joke and run with it but she did. I also find her laugh enjoyable, it wasn't loud or obnoxious like others that he had heard over the years. When she finally stopped and responded I couldn't help but smile back at her. I let my eyes connect with hers as I think of something fun or witty and I say back, "Well I am a police officer after all, and it is my job to catch the criminals in the act!"

I relax back into the wicker bench a little more before asking, "So what do you enjoy doing for fun? I mean, I can tell being a journalist is your passion. Just like being a police officer is mine. But I doubt you let it take over your life. You strike me as someone who enjoys going out and doing fun things, or having get together's at your place. So what is it that you enjoy doing when you aren't writing stories, or conducting interviews.....or doing whatever else you have to do as a journalist?" I ask, realizing that I know so little about that profession.

She smiled a bit at the light joking banter between the two of them. She felt like she got along with him pretty well, the way they were both able to casually talk to each other and despite not knowing each other for very long, easily quipped back at each other with small jokes and such. It was something she found she liked about the male, and was interested to get to know him more, and more of his personality.

When asked what else she liked to do aside from work, she smiled a bit "Its hard to get the time to actually enjoy things outside of work, which i suppose it why it's a good thing I enjoy my job. But when I do have the time I enjoy just getting out and exploring the world. If I could, I think I'd love to travel around the world, see new sights and places. Though the time I have for traveling is usually just enough for a few states away or something like that. But it's still nice to be able to get out. I tend to go hiking a lot in the trails just outside the city" she answered, before responding back with the same question "What about you? When you're off duty do you enjoy frequenting the doughnut shops and drinking coffee?" she joked lightly.

I put my free hand against my chest as if shot or hurt before saying, "Oh, ow, doughnut jokes on the very first day I meet you. How could you? That is harsh!" I play it up for a few more seconds before cracking a smile. I am used to comments and jokes like that. Both by friends as well as people off the streets. Why someone off the streets would say something like that to someone they didn't know I still can't comprehend. Those people though I quite frequently run into issues with because they were drinking or something. Then I always ask them if getting smart with a cop was a bright idea.

"Honestly, I love playing video games. One of my favorite games of all time is Grand Theft Auto, yes I know, kinda weird for a cop to enjoy a video game where all you do is break the law. But I find it fun. i enjoy reading, working out, hanging out with friends. Traveling.....seems interesting but growing up my family never had much money, so I never got to travel much. I guess I got used to just staying here. Though if I did travel, it would probably be somewhere historic. I loved American history in school. It was one of my favorite subjects."

She laughed a bit at his feign hurt of a response, knowing he was only joking it and she smiled "Hey, I mean if you said you didn't like doughnuts I'd be a little worried for your sanity" she added in, half joking. After all, doughnuts were pretty good - maybe not on the top of list of good things, but they were still a good remedy for a sweet tooth. Which she herself definitely did have, she would have to admit. But all in all she was glad he took the joke well, just as all the other previous jokes they'd tossed between each other had been received well. She was glad she'd met him now, aside from having been curious to meet him, part of her worried what he was like when her friends told her he was a cop. Not that she had anything against them, because she definitely didn't. However, some cops took their jobs even out of work with them, and were constantly stone-faced serious people. She was glad to see Mike was not like that though. And that was further proved when he spoke about video games, and one of his favorites.

"I mean hey if anyone ever judged you about it you could say it's for knowledge purposes. Trying to get into the head of those you need to catch" she joked lightly, before listening to him mention his other interests. "I did say I enjoy traveling, though I haven't really been able to do a whole lot of it. I'm hoping though as I further develop my career as a journalist though I'll be able to get to do a lot more of it for work" she added in. She was enjoying talking to him, she hadn't realized how long that they'd been out on the patio. Though as the temperature dropped more, and a cold breeze rustled by them, she leaned a bit closer to him while pulling the blanket a bit closer. "History is nice, though I was never very good at it in school" she laughed lightly "Of course I enjoyed learning about the history of things. But I was always terrible with dates and things like that."

I shrug a little at her last comment. "History isn't so much about the dates but more about what happened. The events, who was responsible, and what they all did. You can't learn from history of you don't know what it is. Besides, I think its good for people to know what others went through to get us where we are today. More to the point, I think it is good to honor those that sacrificed for us. Whether it be by giving their lives or by living with what happened. Then again, I'm a little old fashioned like that. A lot of kids today don't have that respect."

I notice her getting closer and there is a distinct chill in the air. I can't help but smile at how close we are. I definitely did not expect for that to happen when I got here this evening. "So where do you all want to travel to? I mean, we do live in a large city, and there are always new adventures to go on around here. Not to mention the theme park, I have been there 6 times and haven't done everything that they have to offer. Not to mention I doubt that you have eaten at even a fraction of the restaurants in this town. I have eaten at a lot by having several different precincts and having different patrol areas, and I haven't eaten at them all."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back