Anime & Manga Movies?

Risk

I started watching "anime movies" really young, before I even knew what anime was, and I can say that they hold a special place for me. As much as I love anime shows and manga, stand-alone anime movies tend to be my favorite out of the three. So, what are some that you've seen, are your favorites, or ones you would suggest to others?

This is a list of ones I've seen and definitely would suggest. These aren't put in any order.
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Spirited Away
  • Fuse: Memoirs of a Hunter Girl
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • Tokyo Godfathers
  • Colorful
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • Ponyo
  • Grave of the FireFlies
  • Letter to Momo
  • Paprika
  • Akira
  • Wolf Children
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Steam Boy
  • The Cat Returns
  • Mei and The Kitten Bus
  • Perfect blue
  • Hotarubi No Mori e
  • Whisper of the Heart
  • Tekkonkinkreet
  • The Tale of Princess Kaguya
  • A Silent Voice
  • The Tibetan Dog
  • Summer Wars
  • The Boy and the Beast
  • When Marie Was Here
  • Genius Party
  • The Garden of Words
  • Castle in the Sky

I'm probably missing one or two, but I think this list is fine for now.
Anyone else?

I haven't really seen any stand-alone anime movies as I am trash, but the entirety of Digimon Tri is a series of six movies. And they are pure beauty and perfection~ <3

I've also watched Fairy Tail: The Phoenix Priestess. I haven't had the time to watch many others, though I will certainly take your list under consideration when I happen to have the time! ^^

Well, tomorrow, I'm meeting up with three others. We are going to watch Kimi No Na Wa, only one of us has watched it. I've heard it's great, I actually don't know much about it, but I'm sure we are going to have fun!

That's a great list, for sure. I'd also suggest these ones.

• Millennium Actress
  • Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro (You don't need to know the rest of the Lupin III series to enjoy this. It's an early Miyazaki work and it's kind of his take on the characters.)
  • Robot Carnival (An anthology of different styled shorts all centering around the idea of robots. Very 80s. It's on Crunchyroll!)
  • Windaria (An obscure but gorgeous fantasy movie from the 80s.)
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Adolescence of Utena (Probably best watched after finishing the main Utena series, though.)
The One Piece movie Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is definitely worth checking out if you're familiar with the series. I'm not into One Piece anymore but that movie still sticks in my head. Gorgeous imagery, a unique style, and a plot that's a little darker than the usual shounen battle anime movie template. It's a shame Funimation never licensed the older One Piece movies!

I've also heard excellent things about Redline but I still haven't watched it yet.

I haven't watched many but my favorites are:

• Mardock Scramble Trilogy (Si-Fi cyberpunk involving heavy themes and a somewhat confusing plot.)
  • Un-Go: Inga-Ron (Obscure prequel to an obscure supernatural detective anime series that doesn't get much attention)
  • Madoka Magica: Rebellion (Pretty sure everyone knows what this is)
  • Children Who Chase Lost Voices (This is really beautiful and emotional. Highly recommend it.)

That's a great list, for sure. I'd also suggest these ones.

• Millennium Actress
  • Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro (You don't need to know the rest of the Lupin III series to enjoy this. It's an early Miyazaki work and it's kind of his take on the characters.)
  • Robot Carnival (An anthology of different styled shorts all centering around the idea of robots. Very 80s. It's on Crunchyroll!)
  • Windaria (An obscure but gorgeous fantasy movie from the 80s.)
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Adolescence of Utena (Probably best watched after finishing the main Utena series, though.)
The One Piece movie Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island is definitely worth checking out if you're familiar with the series. I'm not into One Piece anymore but that movie still sticks in my head. Gorgeous imagery, a unique style, and a plot that's a little darker than the usual shounen battle anime movie template. It's a shame Funimation never licensed the older One Piece movies!

I've also heard excellent things about Redline but I still haven't watched it yet.
I'll be sure to give these a check sometime soon! Except the One Piece one, I can't say I'm a fan of it.
I haven't watched many but my favorites are:

• Mardock Scramble Trilogy (Si-Fi cyberpunk involving heavy themes and a somewhat confusing plot.)
  • Un-Go: Inga-Ron (Obscure prequel to an obscure supernatural detective anime series that doesn't get much attention)
  • Madoka Magica: Rebellion (Pretty sure everyone knows what this is)
  • Children Who Chase Lost Voices (This is really beautiful and emotional. Highly recommend it.)
Ohh, I've see the Madoka Magica one. I've also seen some of the Un-Go series, but I didn't know it had a movie! I'll have to give it a watch.
Children Who Chase Lost Voices is currently on my watch list already. I guess I should bump it up because I'm curious about it now.
Well, tomorrow, I'm meeting up with three others. We are going to watch Kimi No Na Wa, only one of us has watched it. I've heard it's great, I actually don't know much about it, but I'm sure we are going to have fun!
This is another that's on my watch list! I'll bump it up as well.

Ohh, I've see the Madoka Magica one. I've also seen some of the Un-Go series, but I didn't know it had a movie! I'll have to give it a watch.
Children Who Chase Lost Voices is currently on my watch list already. I guess I should bump it up because I'm curious about it now.
Cool. I found the Un-Go movie on Kissanime and it was pretty good. It basically shows the life of the two main characters (Inga and I forgot the other guy's name.) and how they met. As for Children Who Chase Lost Voices, I found it On Demand, but I'm pretty sure I found dvd's of it and I think it's on Crunchyroll. I'll have to check.

I also highly recommend Patema Inverted if you want something romantic, soft, and with a slight blood-rushing twist or,

the Broken Blade movies; they're more action-y but are great. The anime series itself isn't too bad either.

I also highly recommend Patema Inverted if you want something romantic, soft, and with a slight blood-rushing twist or,

the Broken Blade movies; they're more action-y but are great. The anime series itself isn't too bad either.
Ah! I did actually watch some of Patema Inverted a year or two ago, but I don't think I finished it. Thanks for reminding me!

I'll have to add Broken Blade to my list.

Origin: Spirits of the Past is another movie I forgot to include. I can't say it's amazing, but I really love the art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back