• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Mountain Magic Mayhem (Luc/Sazz)

Dad would really be hiding right now! Milly thought as she watched the dragon approach with wide eyes. Her breath hitched and she began to take a shaky step back, instinct driving her to seek cover from their impending doom. Then her boot smashed into the ground, dominating the space before her. She took another step forward, ignoring all the sirens going off in her mind. "Get the scroll ready!" she growled back to the others, flicking her wand up. "We're giving this thing one chance, it screws us, we're bailing. Tear it on my mark, got it?"

With a flourish, the dragonborn swirled the wand in the air, forming a floating sigil. A pulse of magic power prompted the spell to explode in a shower of sparks, replicating her prior call to the other dragon tenfold. To anything on the other side of the sigil it would've been near deafening up close. She expected it to get her point across real quick; try me, I dare you.

The unfamiliar Dragon was of pure iron and ash, its hurl for them unveiling a storm of fine crystals. It called back with a clash: "I challenge your provocation!"

"G-Got it," Vine choked, holding the scroll from outside his satchel. "Make it clear!" He dashed to Erro's side. Erro took his first nervous touch to the pistol lent to him and pulled it out into position. Iso was immersed in the surreal scene of the destructive, hostile treasures, shaking and whimpering that perhaps they asked for more than bargained. But, he had to wake up -- for Diger. He brewed a healing spell at his core, glancing to the knight gathering his fire spell.

"Can summon other elements, too!" Lier said. "Fire's stronger, though." He wasn't quite prepared to deal with an entire swarm of Dragons. His worry gaped to the size of the enlarging portal with each additional dragon spawning from the Aphotic Chamber, including the guardian confronted earlier.

Sucking in as much air as her lungs could afford her, Milly shouted out a response, "Tel ta strixiki, tel ta thurirl! Tel na tu Milianor! Yth viraka takar martivir! Arun til te maekrix!" I am dragonborn of egg, I am familiar friend! My name soul is Milianor! We seek fallen comrade friend for honor! Who among you holds crown for lordship? as it would go, or so she hoped. Translating her clan's particular form of dialect into a more basic form was hard enough, doing it in improv was even worse. She prayed she'd gotten it right, otherwise they were in for a world of hurt.

"Tel naur Luiche!" The contending dragon Luiche introduced in a mirroring dialect. "The Lord of the Aphotic Chamber! We shall reject the request without worthy bloodshed!"

Lier remembered that name with a shudder -- the Lord of Lairs, Luiche. Legends praised his hostile demeanor as an image of prowess among wielders of dark magic. Not only this, but the knight couldn't fathom the actuality of his intimidating presence. He was definitely much larger than the dragon they fought with earlier.

"Still holding to the scroll," Vine briefly disregarded his frightened fascination.

Iso was in disbelief. "T-T-There's so m-many..." He just wanted Diger back -- no bloodshed, no struggle -- as he knew he would be still dead in his arms. His eyes went between the draconic lord and the dragonness, holding his spell. He remembered the flare guardian at his side and reached for his comfort, beholding the tens of dragons, large and small, before them.

Worthy bloodshed? The dragonborn found herself scowling at that demand, unable to help herself. How backwards were these dragons? Blood price was something that fell out of style decades ago. In public, at least. She knew that some clans still maintained the age old tradition in secrecy, as a way of keeping their ancient ways alive. But to openly call for it so bluntly? It felt like she was dealing with a Red, something that made her regret ever showing her face around these parts. But if it was blood they wanted, it was blood they'd get. She was willing to do anything to get that body, short of putting their lives in mortal danger.

"Fine!" she shouted out in Common, bending down to withdraw her boot knife. She clenched the blade and slashed her palm, hissing at the pain. Blood smeared the length of the steel, which she held up in the air. "How's this?! I doubt you're getting much worthier than the blood of a magician! Much less a pureblooded dragon!"

Lier stayed close to the dragonborn, allowing the fire insulation to rouse the metal. If they were to ask for blood, they already got it; they had Diger's life, let alone his entire body already. Their aged rites of passage stirred the rage within him, a valid reason for him to stray from his own -- to be a lone protector of the Governor countering the Seconds.

"Holy fuck," Vine couldn't believe his eyes. He was able to see the blood of his Scaly warrior run down her wrists. If only if he but touch it, to sniff it afar. Oh yeah, he clenched the scroll in his hands.

When other dragons shattered rocks upon landing near, Erro had to move away, holding his gun low. These many dragons were surely out for blood or some sort of sacrifice. But, considering the tale of the Dragon Stone Crisis, their behavior was abnormal. If these dragons were truly involved, they would only want to seek out their formidable contenders -- not commoners or even kin at that. Or perhaps all that he researched about them in history was wrong.

Milly remained still as the dragons landed all around them, keeping the knife raised. She didn't dare move risk of agitating them. "Yeah, it's pretty crazy, isn't it?" she whispered back to Vine, oblivious to his ogling of the bloody blade.

Her eyes went across the beasts before them, sizing each of them up. From their size, she estimated many were fully grown adults, something that didn't give her much confidence.

"So what's it going to be?" she called out to their leader, turning her attention to him. "Is this enough?"

Lord Luiche crashed down onto the gem path in front of Milianor, his great feathers for wings stretching out as a shadow covering the clouded sunlight below. He called an echoing order as the other dragons lined up about the mountain trail below. Each of them spread their wings with a sparkly confirmation. The chilling fog turned to a mass of stars spanning the guardians.

Vine could had fainted seeing the overwhelming gathering, but just had to stay awake in case all the showing could had been an enticing distraction. He kept his grip on the scroll, glancing to Lier with a stone glare on the sophisticated impression.

Milly waited until the dragons were settled before doing anything, not wanting to rouse their ire. Once the last one touched down, she turned the knife around and threw it over to Luiche, where it landed at his feet with a clatter. "You have your blood. Can they have their companion back, now?" she asked.

Rigid scales of the slithering tail caught the sacrifice's blade, raising it to the bony collar of the leader. With a few sniffs, he studied the face of the demands. A Citirian. They were not of anything regarding the Crisis. Flick! He hurled the blood to the other lined up dragons. Diger's killer swished its tail as blood barely splashed its nostril.

Lord Luiche took a while to interpret the Common language, letting out cold, yet excited, pants. "Of which?" He refused to speak Common.

Milly raised a brow at the knife being passed around, not used to the custom. She watched the knife for a time, then looked to Luiche with a confused expression. "The man your subordinate killed. He was a member of this group here, who came looking for whatever's in this Chamber of yours. He apparently heard the warning your friend gave, and ignored it, costing him his life. The others, though, didn't know what was going on. For all they knew, a dragon just swooped down from the sky and attacked them."

She motioned to the group.

"They're innocent in this. Pawns, used by group their masters are collaborating with, or something. I don't have all the details, but that's not important right now. What is, is that we get that body back. He deserves a proper burial, if anything's left of him. Not only for his clan's sake, but his mate's as well. Don't deny them that little amount of respect."

Iso couldn't help but throw in a deep nod of gratitude to Milianor. "Y-Yes." Vine let the satchel fall at his waist upon releasing the scroll, wanting a closer look into Lord Luiche's countenance. The Dragon's great chest furred with glassy scales contracted out with a puff of cold mist, with his iron-soldered wings flattening with feathers about. Such appearance led Vine to think somehow these dragons were related to each other. He exchanged a look to Liernoine, who was still hesitant to release the heat circulation in his blade.

Lord Luiche stretched his wings out behind, loosening his grip in the rocks. "Which of these 'subordinates' was responsible for this outcome?"

There was brief a pause as Milly took a moment to examine the dragons. It didn't her take long to find the one she sought. "That's him," she said, indicating to the dragon with the feelers. "He was the one that the group encounted earlier, and the one I spoke to just before we came here. He agreed to lead us to the body of their friend. Which, if it's all the same with you, I'd like to get back as soon as possible so we can get out of your scales. Okay?"

The dragon with the feelers confirmed: "I am who she speaks of." Its allies kept their attention to Luiche, who turned only halfway to view the speaker.

"Very well," the leader said. "Alkine, retrieve the body." He returned his face to Milianor when his tail caught the returning blade from its ride around the circle of dragons. Alkine pushed itself off of the ledge to surge into a self-made portal. And then Lord Luiche said, "The body of the Blood Aura has been handled accordingly and no longer is in our need."

Liernoine concentrated, popping his free fingers on his thigh. Erro cringed.

Milly watched the dragon depart with a sense of relief. She knew deep down they'd never have been able to make it away, especially after seeing the scout vanish through a portal. The best that scroll would've done, she thought with a shiver, was delay the inevitable. She breathed a sigh of relief, feeling a weight lifted off her shoulders. "Thank you."

She turned back to the group and motioned to Iso. "Come on," she said. "I think you deserve to get him back in person."

Iso froze. "H-Huh?" He knew he had to retrieve Diger, but at the same time he was afraid to even see what would come out on the other side of the portal, let alone for him to hold him. "N-Ngh!" He ran to Milly's side.

Liernoine let a light aura of disappointment pass over him, yet kept his composure at a stoic gaze at the portal. The mystery of the dragons' order distracted him; they were for sure relatives of the Dragon Stone Crisis. Yet, they also seemed busy with Diger's body. He couldn't turn his thoughts away from that moment after all.

Milly watched Iso run over with a pained look in her eyes, feeling horrible for him. Once he was close enough she threw an arm around his neck, pulling him close. She didn't give him a choice in the matter. "Thanks for hanging in there," she whispered, looking down at him. "I'm sorry that took so long, by the way. Was touch and go there for a bit, but we're making it out in one piece. All of us." She looked back to the dragons. "But... I'm sorry I couldn't save your friend. For what it's worth, I don't think he deserved what happened to him."

Milianor's scales wrapping against Iso's neck initially brought chills up his spine, but her comforting words warmed him. "I... N-No, thank you s-so much..." He rested his eyes on the portal. "... So, s-so -- so -- much. You c-cleaned up our mess for sure."

Lier agreed with Milianor with a lip-pursed nod. And then Vine's nudge snatched his attention. "Hmm?"

"I can write the letter if you want me to," Vine said. "Gotta focus on other things right now, right?"

"Thought you were going to write it anyway," his eyes scanned about the dragons. Then he shook his head. "We'll talk about that later." Erro behind stowed the pistol into his satchel, scoffing to Lier's avoidance.

"Of what blood do you come?" Lord Luiche asked Milianor.

What was with these dragons and blood? Annoyed, Milly furrowed her brow and looked to Lord Luiche with a frown. "The Clan Liliza, nothing but pureblooded Brass. Why?" she asked, unable to help the vexed tone that slipped into her voice. Her arm tightened around Iso a bit, gloved fingers digging into the young man's shoulder.

Swoosh! Lord Luiche gave a brief peek to Alkine emerging from the portal with its signature glitter path. "That matter in question is only of the curiousity of your breed -- one uncommon in these lands." He spread his wings out and watched Alkine caw at other dragons to move aside. When they did with reluctance, Alkine landed and lowered its feelers to the rocks, releasing a lump, a body: it was Diger.

Diger Losreiré, the mathematician and researcher, was a charred shell of rusty blood, drying muscle with bone looming from it. His right arm and left leg were torn away, and the appendages remaining were twisted past their limits. Up the bitten neckline was his dead gape of fear where a broken eyelid exposed a full eye, a touch to his hanging jaw and tongue.

Denial was Iso. He wanted to see for himself that this could be a mistake, that what happened truly didn't and what he thought was only someone else. He found himself a way free from Milianor's embrace, hurrying over to the horror. No moan, no tear, no scream. He didn't know how to feel seeing his life, his love again, to see him lifeless. The lad fell at Diger's side, taking the available hand left. A sob wanted to rise, but it hid deep in his shocked face.

Lier could not face the scene, dwelling on his guilt, seeing the moment he let Diger die again. And then this time anger set in, seeing Alkine retract its feelers to its sides again. To see Diger in such a state, let alone Iso pulled him deeper into his broken heart, that of his desire to be as them -- driven to survive.

Vine observed Erro's resist-from-crying-by-crossing-his-arms position and then met eyes with Lord Luiche. "Thanks for your help..." But, he received no response.

Seeing the young man in such a state drove a dagger through Milly's heart. She felt a tightness in her chest she hadn't felt in years, one that stole her breath and threatened to empty her stomach yet again. Force of will and a hard swallow sent the bile back to its proper place. "I'm..." she began to say, at a loss for words. Angry. She was angry, no, infuriated. Words didn't begin to describe the hateful things that stirred in her stomach now. The bile that remained in her throat turned caustic and venomous, which she spat onto the ground, where it sizzled and popped and burned into the stone.

"I'm a Dragonborn. One who was raised by the best parents the world could ever give," she growled. "And you know what? One of them's not even blood kin. Go figure, huh? Shocker. He's a human, just like these guys. That didn't stop him from raising me like his own. Thanks to that I've gotten a chance to see the world through a wider scope than some of my kind. The ones stuck behind tradition and the old ways. So forgive me if I'm not exactly excited right now at being a spectacle to look at. I've got more important things to be worried about, like getting my friends the hell out of here."

Pausing to catch her breath, Milly closed her eyes tightly and clenched her fists. She vented out the rage building inside her with a breath of angry flame at her feet. "So if you'll excuse me, I intend to do just that. Or do I owe his highness some more blood before we can depart?"

Lord Luiche rested his glare onto Milianor with a sigh of cold air. And upon hearing Milianor's question, he opened up his feathery pair with a puff to his posture. "Sacrifice reaps knowledge. The death of this comrade is the result of a purely righteous, vigilant order. In meaning to protect the Aphotic Stone, we shall not permit further expedition against its and its descendants' safety." He turned around from the group.

Even though Vine heard Milianor mention she was raised by a human earlier, he still took her reaction and such announcement a shocker -- again. She likes to joke, but she wasn't joking this time for sure. Her passion moved him to at least believe he wasn't the only one to believe this, and that the Chief had rolled him up in a scramble again. Perhaps he even knew the Aphotic Chamber Dragons were strict and wished to take one of them out, like Diger's prodigious brain.

Iso held to the cold hand, afraid to look into Diger's eyes again as he bowed his head to the broken wrist. All this time his disbelief held him hostage from the freedom of expression. But then spat, spat went a few tears from the lad's face onto the protruding rib, the dry rocks below. Before he could give another thought to the dragons still around, he trembled with a bawl, one circled around them two until he threw his head back to the sky, his grievous lamentation echoing among them.

Erro thought about what he said earlier, the fact Diger gave what he got. It was like Vine and him were telepathically communicating, wondering the Chief set them up. After all, the four of them were among better rank in their division of travelers. Well, save Iso. He joined for the ride because of his wealthy parents. The letter, he remembered. What were they going to say, especially greed-driven, yet seemingly passionate, Vine over there?

Liernoine had to detach himself for a moment, approaching Milianor. His watering eyes blurred her scaly image from behind her spikes. A blink prevented a blameworthy breakdown. "Mil," he whispered.

"You shall leave," the great dragon said. "With your comrade."

Milly hadn't been this torn in a long, long time. It took all the willpower she had not to snatch her sword from Lier and give Luiche a taste of her own magic. In any other situation, she was sure she would have. But here, with other people's lives on the line, she had other obligations. "You're damn right we are." She looked over her shoulder at the young knight, tears rolling off her snout and onto her coat's collar in little rivers. "Scroll," she croaked. "Get the damn scroll and give it to me. I don't want to be here anymore."

"Mmm, scroll," Lier rolled his lips, blinking away his tears when turning to Vine. "Give it over." He caught the tossed scroll and handed it to Milianor. Past her shoulder was Iso choking on his tears, bawling out his frustration.

This pack is relentless, Vine thought. They must feel like we did them a favor by getting out of their scales. And, upon hearing the dragonness' tears, he stood closer to Lier. "It's okay. We've got 'em now..." He sighed at the sight of Erro staring about the cliff.

Lord Luiche's tail coiled the dagger handle of Milianor's blood, inhaling its contents from afar. He wished to have ended off with a bloodbath and battle, but his composure kept nigh to the realization of the Crisis spurring again. Then, with a dull squawk, he motioned his wings in signal to the other dragons, with Alkine forming the respective portal for departure.

Not wanting to waste another second on the spiteful mountain, Milly snatched the scroll from the air and tore it in an instant. In her mind's eye she could already see her destination, the bottom of the mountain she'd seen earlier. Normally such a thing was out of the range of a simple teleportation spell, but not this time, as she fed it power from the phylactery still on her person. She'd need to refill it later, but that was okay. Anything to get away from this horrible place.

As the parchment caught fire and its torn halves turned to ash, a blue doorway formed just a few feet in front of the dragonborn. Ten feet tall and just as wide, the gateway was a dark blue corridor which reflected an outcropping of plants and dirt on the other side. The dimensional doorway.

"Get Diger and go, I'll keep the door open."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back