• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern More Than We Bargained For (PathWalker67)

PunkPrince

Elder Member
Caitlyn sighed as she gazed at her reflection. She opened her hand to allow her brunette waves to fall across her shoulders. No use trying to tie it back. It wasn’t like she ever put her hair up to perform anyway. Leaning forward, she scrutinized the details in her makeup for the tenth time that evening. The dramatic cat eye alone wasnt much, but the tiny red and yellow rhinestones along with it made the look all the more interesting. She paused to rub away a stray bit of lipstick. Red always had been her favorite shade, and her costume finally gave her an excuse to wear it.

Taking a step back, she looked over the rest of her appearance. Her short dress was a shade of brilliant red, a pheonix-like pattern of tiny golden sequins and rhinestones swirling across the fabric. Her shoes were four inch platform heels of a similar shade to her gown, dusted with gold glitter. She pushed her hair back behind her ears, and just as she turned to leave her bedroom, the argument started up.

"I hate this thing, Lacey. Out of all the stuff we have, this is the one you picked?"
"You picked last time! Now it's my turn," Lacey shot back, her voice almost chipper.
"But I look awful in periwinkle!" Ivy complained.
"There's no rule that says you have to match." That was Ryan's voice. "Just pick something else. I personally think you both look nice. I wish I could pull off that color. It clashes with my hair."

High heels clicking on the hardwood floor of the trailer, Ryan appeared in the hallway and met eyes with their mother. Their bright ginger hair--which reached their shoulders--was tied back. Dark eyeliner flared out from around their eyes. They wore shoes similar to Caitlyn's, though Ryans were blue with silver glitter. That was the end of most similarities. Ryan wore a blue sequined bralette, decorated with a silver pattern, along with a pair of slim fitting shorts to match. They carried a white pair of gymnast's shoes in their right hand, which they would change into partway through the show. As well as being in the fire act with Caitlyn, Ryan was also a particularly skilled acrobat, partnered with Eddie--the sole other acrobat--for most shows. On the occasion Ryan was ill, their position was taken over by Stephen, the contortionist.

"You both look fine," Caitlyn called down the hallway. "Now, hurry up. The show starts at eight and if we're late Mara will have to stall."

The twins appeared at the end of the hall, both still in matching outfits. They both wore fully sequined leotards and pale purple high heels. Lacey looked giddy. Ivy looked like she'd rather crawl into a hole. Caitlyn brushed past them and slipped out the trailer door into the cool night air, Ryan and the twins following close behind.

Caitlyn gazed around the field. Every week it was a new one, but the layout remained mostly the same. Trailers parked to one side, the pen that housed the leopards laid out on the other, with the big top tent in the center of it all. The leopard pen was vacant now. Viv had probably taken them out. The cats always opened the show. The sooner their act was over the sooner they could be returned to their pen and relax again.

They entered the tent just as Mara was announcing the first act. Vivian stood at the curtain, the pair of leopards each on a heavy chain, standing calmly beside her. The dolllike woman stepped out into the center ring, her strange proportions casting a shadow behind her.

The curtain parted again, and Mara slipped backstage. The strongwoman towered over most everyone she met, standing at six foot eight.

“There you are!” Mara said, sounding relieved. “I almost came and got you myself. You and Ryan are on next.”

Caitlyn smiled and gave her friend a squeeze as she passed her. Mara had been her closest friend since she had arrived at the circus all those years ago. Calm and soft spoken, had she not been as large as she was, one would have a hard time believing that she could throw a picnic table—or a person—across the tent if she chose to.

She took her torches from the barrel beside her and then stood, listening to the crowd cheer. Evening shows had always been her favorite. She wasn’t sure why. People always seemed more excited, more astounded by the things they were watching.

Caitlyn passed a torch to Ryan as Vivian led the cats back through the curtain. The twins had gone off to polish their swords, and Caitlyn glanced back at the pair as she stepped forward. She and Ryan stepped out into the center ring as they were announced, and their performance began. Their torches lit and twirled around them as the crowd cheered.

And then she saw him. A familiar face in the crowd. She stumbled and nearly dropped her torch. Ryan caught it before it hit the ground and passed it back to her. Their brow crinkled in concern and confusion, but there wasn’t time to ask anything. The show continued, and then their performance was over.

“What was that about?” Ryan asked as they headed back through the curtain.
Caitlyn shook her head. “It’s nothing. I just got distracted, that’s all. Why don’t you go change your shoes and find Eddie? She’s probably looking for you.”

Ryan turned to go search for the acrobat, still looking confused. Caitlyn slipped out the back of the tent.

No way that was who she’d thought it was. The tent was dark and faces were obscured. It was more likely to be a million other people than the person she had thought she'd seen. Besides, what were the odds Ryan's father would be at the same circus, more than ten years after she'd first met him?

(This is the closest I could find to their performance: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back