• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Modern Sci-Fi || alive but barely living (OPEN)

cosowarrior

• In the year 2017, a U.S. biotech company, OsiriGenix, was granted permission to begin stem cell research on brain-dead patients in an effort to re-stimulate their neurons and, potentially, reanimate their bodies. It was a controversial decision that spurred an intense ethical debate, but while the public engaged in heated discussion, behind closed doors, the study forged on. Before long, the lab began producing shockingly positive results. Not only did their stem cells reactive the dead patients' brain activity, but the subjects regained full consciousness and use of their bodies with a nearly 80% success rate. Within a year, the researchers published their results. Within three, the company pushed to take their technology to the market.

The first release of OsiriGenix's "revivification technology" was restricted to a small sample city in the Northern U.S.: Willow Falls. Candidates had to undergo a number of tests, and the families of the late patients were required to sign piles of legal docments in order to be eligible. But for the residents of this poor, underprivileged city where sickness was common and good things were rare, no inconvenience was too great to pass up this special opportunity. Hundreds applied to have their loved ones brought back to life. Within a few months, the practice became commonplace amongst Willow Falls dwellers.

- - -​

To those who fear death, OsiriGenix's success seems like a miracle solution to what was once inevitable. But some things aren't meant to be tampered with. Although the company claims the procedure leaves no lasting side effects, patients who were reanimated report a strange sensation that something is not quite right. Many suffer from loss of memory, particularly of those that were made earlier in life. Even the loved ones of the 'survivors' sometimes notice an unplaceable, eerie difference in the patient, something no one seems to be able to put into words. Is the person who comes walking out of OsiriGenix's lab really the same that went in in a body bag?

Now, new rumors that threaten to damage the biotech company's image are beginning to surface. Residents have reported incidences of reanimated Survivors reverting back to their original dead state in a rapid and grotesque regression. These stories, however, have not yet broken through in any meaningful way; strangely, any dissent from the public is quickly quieted. More distressing is the string of unusual deaths that has recently plagued Willow Falls. Though crime is hardly uncommon, mounting evidence suggests a serial killer may be in the midst of the city's denizens. Stranger yet, the victims are almost all reanimated Survivors.

Is a cover-up of OsiriGenix's failures underway? With such alarmingly short initial trials before the testing of their technology on the public, OsiriGenix must be guilty of some kind of negligence. The question is, will the truth ever come to light? Or will OsiriGenix bury it once and for all?

I'm looking for 2-4 additional players who may be interested in RPing with me! (Please check my second tab for additional details)

I'm a pretty easy-going RPer. Since I'm starting classes soon, I may not always have time to respond quickly, but I try to respond as quickly as I can. My posts are typically between 3-10 paragraphs, though my longest reply was over 4,000 words. My intros tend to be far longer than my normal posts.

Let me know if you're interested, if you have any questions/comments/suggestions, or if you have any other concerns!

It sounds interesting and I already have a character in mind. A deputy/police officer that joined the force some years before OsiriGenix started to bring the deceased back to life and is overall a bit of a grump about the increase of troubles for the small city because of the whole influx of new residents to the city as it means more work for him.

That sounds great! Welcome aboard!

I'm going to start off with a young Survivor and a psychologist. Probably will introduce more as we go on, as needed. I'll create a character board once we get another joiner.

Awesome! I'll try to have the other pages up by tomorrow so we can start fleshing this out.

In the meantime, we're still open to more players, if anyone is lurking and interested!

I’d be interested in joining as a freelance scientist trying to research into why OsiriGenix’s patients keep dying. He’ll be skeptical of the notion that a serial killer is involved. : )

hey this sounds really cool! i wouldn't mind joining - do you have space for this guy? still trying to figure out how he might fit in :^)

Sounds perfect, Destructus Kloud!

Hi Mads! Still plenty of space. Perhaps you'll get some ideas for how he'll fit in once we start solidifying our list of characters.

To everyone here, feel free to add your characters on this thread:
Realistic/Modern - Alive but Barely Living || Characters

I'll add mine when I get the chance. Next few days are going to be a little busy, but I'll try to get them up as soon as possible.

Definitely interested! But do you think that I could be the serial killer? It’s not a job, it’s a lifestyle.

Definitely interested! But do you think that I could be the serial killer? It’s not a job, it’s a lifestyle.

Hey Remembrance! I'd love for you to join!

I know I was being a little ambiguous in the plot, but to clarify, I was thinking that the murders are tied to the overarching OsiriGenix conspiracy (though I suppose that doesn't necessarily have to be the case). Do you think you can incorporate that into the character somehow?

Hey Remembrance! I'd love for you to join!

I know I was being a little ambiguous in the plot, but to clarify, I was thinking that the murders are tied to the overarching OsiriGenix conspiracy (though I suppose that doesn't necessarily have to be the case). Do you think you can incorporate that into the character somehow?
Well I was thinking the character could be a reanimated guy who used to work as an archivist(or whoever really kept documents in good order) before they decided to kick the can. They had religious beliefs in younger years and that surfaces when he’s reanimated, maybe even before he decided to kick the can, so now he “believes” that he is meant to give redemption those who were reanimated and bring them back to the afterlife. They find and kill these reanimated through a login key that somehow works that allows him access to digital documents and lists of reanimated people, since the kin of those reanimated people had to file plenty of paperwork, there would probably be plenty of personal information that lets them track and murder these reanimated.

Also what conspiracy? That they decided to use technology and techniques that were newly born and not tested to its best of way? That they are now covering things up as to keep their public reception down? I’m not so sure, OsiriGenix could be the puppet master of serial killer guy and maybe they even let them do their work by keeping their login still valid.

Your call my guy, I can always make a normal character.

Also what conspiracy? That they decided to use technology and techniques that were newly born and not tested to its best of way? That they are now covering things up as to keep their public reception down? I’m not so sure, OsiriGenix could be the puppet master of serial killer guy and maybe they even let them do their work by keeping their login still valid.

So, the conspiracy is basically the fact that the reanimation technology isn't as stable as everyone thought: it turns out, people are reverting back to their dead state (seemingly out of no where) in a rapid decaying process. OsiriGenix, who has a lot at stake, doesn't want the public to know that their product is a failure. Not only will that destroy the company, but they could be held liable for malpractice and other lawsuits. So they're conspiring to cover up these instances of Survivors decaying and silencing anyone who knows about it -- and this is where the murders come into play.

I really like that character concept! I think the psychology behind it is fascinating. But since we already have a character that is onto OsiriGenix's cover-up, I'm worried that making the murders unrelated to the scheme might introduce some discrepancies in the plot. If they're using the killer as a puppet, like you've suggested, that could work. But I imagine some sort of communication between the killer and the company is necessary for it to make sense.

But I imagine some sort of communication between the killer and the company is necessary for it to make sense.
Okay, this is gonna sound stupid but, the company acts like god. It’s been done! The company acts like a messenger of sorts, giving some kind of motivation or whatever to the serial killer for them to continue on killing!

It’s like stupidly ingenious to me.

Well I've been a bit ambitious with my character but I'm happy to edit things to make it more acceptable.

Well I've been a bit ambitious with my character but I'm happy to edit things to make it more acceptable.

Your character has such a great backstory! My only concern is that you say Dr. Valheim was revived in 2003, but the technology needed to revive someone cryogenically frozen would be, I imagine, almost indistinguishable from that needed to bring the dead back to life, since frozen people are dead people. Because that technology would not have been around until ~2017 according to this plot, I think it would make more sense if he were revived by OsiriGenix in more recent times; he could even have been one of the first subjects this was tested on. Would that work for you?

Also, just to note, this RP will take place in the year 2018 or later.

Is there still space available for this?

Also, will a Discord chat be available for OOC purposes? I find such tends to keep things far more lively than normal OOC threads.

It looks like there are a few more characters that need to be added still. :) I would like to get started soon, I think. But for now, I guess we can chat a bit about the plot, if anyone has ideas they want to share, in the OOC board.

Last edited:
apparently my notifs failed me again because i thought this had been abandoned... oops

Users who are viewing this thread

Back