• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern 𝑴𝒊𝒔𝒌𝒂𝒕𝒐𝒏𝒊𝒄 𝑴𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒊𝒓𝒔: 𝑨 𝑷𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝑶𝒘𝒍𝒔 [ic]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

verdantdreams

Spacefarer
Roleplay Type(s)

Chapter I
Inauguration
Playlist

Arkham, 7:03am, September 9 2022

A loved one’s death is certainly a wave in the river that is life. While not quite a flood or a storm that leaves extensive damage in its wake, it washes over, and like nothing, it disappears, forgotten. The only evidence of said event are grains of sand displaced onto the shore from under the water, or driftwood, to remain there awaiting to be displaced once more and forgotten. Memories and feelings of the deceased remain in particular people but life runs on. Death wasn’t exactly a stranger in Arkham, and it’s denizens saw it’s fair share of deaths, whether explained or not, over the years.

So when Amity Graves appeared in the morning paper for the fourth time, notifying the citizens of the public vigil that was held by MU’s students a day ago, it sent another wave, but never a flood.

“Shame, isn’t it, love?”

Dr. Eric Park glanced up from the paper that laid on the foyer table as he hurriedly tugged on his coat, eyes on his wife, who wrapped a scarf around his neck and drawing it taught, finishing with a light peck on his lips. Whatever reciprocated love he felt for his wife at the act of affection, it didn’t show on his face, but he gave her hand a squeeze and replied, “a shame indeed.”

“Will you be working late tonight?” She asked, the question holding an undercurrent of sadness, as she watched her husband check himself in the mirror, then turning to open the door.

“Most likely. Don’t wait up for me, alright?”

“Alright, dear,” she answered. “We should have dinner sometime together—“

The chief librarian was out before she could finish his sentence, ending hers with the door slamming. Mrs. Park was now alone at the foyer of their apartment. She sighed, and looked down at her swollen belly as she felt a light kick inside. Mrs. Park cooed, “it’s ok, baby. Appa’s just very busy.”

Arkham, Massachusetts—a city frozen in time with its grey and cracked roads, decades-old architecture, and lacking of technological advances. The Miskatonic river flows lazily through the city, dividing its north and southside, a few sail boats roaming across its waters. A distant dull knell resonated throughout the city as its citizens began to wake at the sun brightening up Arkham from behind the heavy cover of clouds over the city. The summer green that dyed the forestry of Arkham began to morph into the signature autumn hues.

Its pride, Miskatonic University, also retained its ancient qualities. While relatively more lively and slightly updated compared to two decades ago, it was stubborn to change, which charmed tourist and new students alike with its great old trees and towers, it’s maintained flagstone paths and immaculate gardens.

Helia stepped onto campus grounds through the opened wrought iron gates, eye bags heavy with sleep and circles darker from absence of rest. She remedied it (attempted to) with a dark brown wide brim hat and large round sunglasses, complete with a chesnut woollen poncho over a white dress underneath. The fine arts student had plugged in earphones, listening to Radio Riverside’s livestream as she travelled towards her first class of the year.

“Good morning Miskatonic Squids, both old and new! Seven in the morning calls for the blackest coffee you can get. We’re looking to have a gloomy morning at 73 degrees with the weather cooling down later in the afternoon. But don't forget your umbrellas folks, we're looking at a 75% chance of heavy rain coming through.”

Helia sighed, and muttered to herself, “damn, my umbrella’s at home.”

“Don’t forget, dear squids, of the annual back to uni Toga Party at Oleander Manor! Held by our esteemed Key & Tome Society in collaboration with our MUSG, it sure is an event not to miss. Tickets are close to sold out! The Orator slash Best Toga of the Year title is also up for grabs, so come along and bring your inner Bacchanalian and be crowned this year’s Orator!”

Delvaux Liberal Arts Building, 4:45pm, September 9 2022

The afternoon set of classes came to a close with students exiting their classrooms. The halls within the Delvaux Liberal Arts Building were thriving with students, from freshman to senior, their chatting echoing off the panelled walls.

“Hey, did you end up buying a ticket to Toga?”

“Quimby said they’ve sold out.”

“It’s ok, you can be my plus one!”

“But what about Viv? She wanted to be my plus one.”

Helia eventually tuned out to the pair’s conversation next to her, staring at the ticket in her hand. They weren’t the only ones discussing Key & Tome’s first event of the year. Since orientation week, Toga had been a hot topic amongst the student body. Despite Amity’s passing, revelries never left their minds. Any excitement dampened from mourning flourished once again with the day of the event arriving.

“To think MU was once the epitome of a stick in the ass,” Freddy Morgan commented as he sauntered up to Helia. “That’s what Armitage said—paraphrased of course. The guy’s lamenting about the death of academia.”

“Sounds like Armitage,” Helia replied, diverting her eyes to one of the halves of the Morgan set. Freddy’s twin was nowhere to be seen. “Say, Morgan, where’s your better half?”

Freddy rolled his eyes at Helia’s comment, but replied, “she went shopping for Toga. Plus, she’s setting up the thing. You going, Mannheim?”

“Thinking about it. Octavio doesn’t wanna go anymore so he tossed this to me,” she said, and held up the ticket—card stock adorned with gold leaf details and embossed lettering. Freddy let out a low whistle, eyebrows raised.

“Sheesh, aren’t they generous with their tickets. Let me look.” Helia gave the ticket to Freddy, and examined him as he looked over the ticket.

Despite being a sophomore, Freddy has the chipper nature of a freshman. From his boyish looks to his constant upbeat disposition, many have mistaken him to be younger than expected. It was a stark contrast between him and Helia, both sophomores with opposite demeanours—Helia with her almost sickly appearance and Freddy with his glowing persona.

His apparel was, like many of the students, on the preppy or academia side—sporting a beige vintage Ralph Lauren sweater vest over a white button up. His coffee-coloured slacks were slightly wrinkled and rolled up a couple of times to make room for swifter running, grass-stained white sneakers giving away his earlier activities, of which, Helia guessed being a rag-tag game of football in the quad with the rest of the football team between classes.

“80% of them are rich kids, of course they can splurge,” she said with an exaggerated ‘know-it-all’ tone before snatching the ticket back. “I’m guessing you’re going?”

“Trust, I’ll win Orator for sure. Fay’s gonna work her magic on me.”

“Can’t wait,” said Helia, who added with a faux-sweetness slathered all over her words, “can’t wait to see you make a fool of yourself, that is. Besides, what even is the criteria of ‘Best Toga’ when it’s literally just a white sheet?"

“I’m not as lightweight as you,” he shot back, giving Helia a flick on her shoulder. “Who knows, I just know you get free drinks at the Tav for the rest of the year, but something about being great at mingling with the people, hence the ‘Orator’ title.”

“Ah, I see how it is—it’s a popularity contest with fancy wording.”

“Hey, I’ve got a chance to win. But if seeing me lose to Monty Valdemar entices you to come—scratch that, I hope you don’t show up.”

“I’d love to see that.”

“So, is that a yes?”

To this came a beat of silence. Helia responded, softly than before, “I’m conflicted to be honest. It’s kinda in poor taste, isn’t it?”

Silence hung over the pair, the subject of Amity and Alistair unintentionally brought up in their conversation with their matching solemn expressions. Despite the two being over for a while, the study group knew how much it affected their dear friend. In the time they dated, they saw how in love Alistair was with Amity, despite their ups and downs. Even though there were a few times they’ve silently agreed amongst each other that Alistair didn’t deserve the one-sided effort and would never fully understand Alistair’s thoughts, they supported the couple right until the end.

“…Amity was a key organiser of Toga this year. I’m going to honour her efforts,” said Freddy. “I may not fully like her but I admit, she’s got an amazing work ethic.”

“Do you know if Rice is going?” Helia asked, picking at the corner of her ticket as she looked down the hall for any sign of her aforementioned friend. “I haven’t spoken to him since the vigil.”

Freddy shrugged, and replied, “don’t know yet. For sure Armitage won’t be going. Fay’s trying to talk him into it though, I think. Said we all need to let loose, it’s what Amity would’ve wanted.”

“Right, Fay and Amity worked together a lot, didn’t they?”

“Yup. Plus, Cynthia wants me as her plus one. Can’t say no to my girl.”

“No offence, but please break up with her before this week ends or else, I'll have to cash out $200 to Fay.”

“Oi!”

“'Tis in jest, Morgan. Dishonour’s looking good right now though.”

“Honour gets you broke, Mannheim.”

After more bickering about Freddy’s string of short-lasting paramours, Helia parted ways with Freddy, the former having just received a text from her new friend, asking for her whereabouts. Helia texted back with, sorry B was talking to a friend, before speedwalking to the said friend’s classroom.

Freddy, in Helia’s place, waited for Alistair, leaning on the wall as he scrolled through the ‘
🦉
parliament
🦉
’ (lovingly named by himself) group chat. He texted, hey rice mannheim abandoned u but don’t worry, ive got u homie. Waiting outside :)

Helia texted back, i hope monty wins.

preach sis,
Fay texted. Freddy scoffed and sent an angry emoji.

Children, the lot of you, Finley replied. I’ll see you all at the study room?

not me, gotta help my new mentee first,
Helia texted back. I’ll see you guys later though xox

Freddy shot up from his leaning position, suddenly remembering he had a mentee waiting for him as well—a student taking biomed.

fuck i totally forgot my mentee, Freddy texted. i’ll meet you guys at HQ later 🫡 sorry rice. Could you and arms go ahead? Grab snacks!

Armitage, please. I’ll see just you then, Rice,
Finley texted. See you soon.

With that, Freddy thrusted his phone into his pocket before taking off towards the Bloomfield Science Building to find his mentee, cursing to himself along the way.

In the same building’s upper floors, the Arkham Folklore and Historical Society are gathered in an empty lecture theatre. Their own meeting came to a close, their president, Warner Vicario, waving his members off new and old as they dispersed to wherever their day calls them.

“Don’t forget the AFHS Docu-Marathon next week,” Warner announced with an almost bored voice as he packed up his laptop, unplugging it from the projector. Next to his workstation at the front sat a ticket to the Toga Party, a complimentary ticket for club presidents gifted by the MUSG. The junior sighed at the sight of it, with dark green eyes burning imaginary holes into the pricey card stock. He raised a hand to pinch the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes and releasing a huff in irritation, nostrils flared. After taking a moment to calm himself, Warner lowered his hand and drummed the walnut desk, eyes glancing to his wristwatch.

‘Why did I accept becoming president again,’ he thought, contemplating, and nearly considering, throwing the highly coveted ticket into the hallway where throngs of students flow through. ‘Fay’s gonna give me an earful if I don’t show up.’

As if she’d read his mind, Warner’s phone buzzed. On his screen was ‘Fay M.’, the preview displaying, ‘the presidents are here setting up. Where r u vicar
😡

“Fuck me,” he cursed.

Meanwhile, with Helia, she stopped short outside her mentee’s classroom, doubling over to see if it was the right one. She scanned the faces of the students filing out the door, keeping Bea’s mousy features and frumpy way of dressing in mind.

i’m here B 🫡,’ Helia texted, and waited, drumming her fingers on her phone.

MUSG Office, Administration Building, 5:00pm, September 9 2022

“Quimby, like I said, just tell them to find someone to go with as their plus one!” Fay exclaimed as she bursted into the empty MUSG office, arms heavy with paper bags from various boutiques and craft stores, coat flying behind her. Her normally neat hair was frazzled, and lipstick had faded during the day. “If we just let anyone in, it’ll be no different than an overcrowded gathering of hooligans and resources would be spread thin, logistics say no!”

More silence from Fay’s end as she listened to Quimby speak over the phone, to which she scoffed as she took a seat at a desk, setting her bags on the floor.

“Yes yes I’ll take care of it. I’ve just gotta meet the MM guy for his pass. And take a breather,” she explained, a little on the quiet side at the end of her sentence. She leaned back in her chair, and looked over to her right, the chair where Amity would’ve been sitting. Fay remembered the late nights together planning, not just for Toga, but many other future events for the year. She remembered how little Amity would sleep, and how much they’d laugh incredulously over Quimby misprinting documents in hopes to cheer each other up.

As these memories resurfaced, she felt tears well up in her eyes. But the sound of Quimby’s voice and a knock at the door, whom she presumed was the MM correspondent, brought her back to the present.

“One second Quimby, I’ve got a visitor,” she said before hanging up. Fay quickly blinked her tears away before calling out loud from her desk, “come in!”

Bloomfield Science Building, 5:00pm, September 9 2022

“Pick up pick up,” Freddy muttered to himself repeatedly as he jogged towards the Bloomfield Science Building, which was on the opposite end of the campus (and mind you the campus is large.) In hand was his phone, dialling ‘barney 🦖.

Freddy cringed inwardly as he felt embarrassment and guilt creep up, manifesting itself as a rising heat in his face and ears. Second time already he’s displayed tardiness to his mentee—the very student under his care. Sure, he may be older, but he was a new student to MU and to Arkham.

“God, I hope he isn’t mad,” Freddy sighed, scratching the back of his neck. “Poor guy. Shit, why’d I sign up again?”

sophocles sophocles Maximousse Maximousse Obnoxious Obnoxious Squad141 Squad141

Last edited:
Another dreary day.

Not like that it was any surprise, or unwelcome, but the sullen skies seemed to feed the noticeable weight that lingered in the air. Rain pitter-pattered against large windowpanes and drooled down to unkempt stone windowsills, caressing the chips and cracks before falling to the soil below.

Usually, this was the weather that Bea dressed for. Perfect for thick woolen sweaters that could handle the damp cold and jeans that did well to partially block the wind. However, much to her surprise (and likely Helia's, who had only met her in her most comfortable attire), she adorned a more fitting ensemble for the university. She promised herself that it would only be this way until first impressions had been made, the first few weeks -- at most -- of the semester. She wore a tight knit brown turtleneck, her shoulders holding up the beige button-up peacoat that would flap against her thighs as she walked against the unsavory winds that almost seemed to be constantly present in Arkham, and dark grey pleated pants that did nothing to stop the gusty chill.

She was seated at a window-side desk, vacantly staring at the raindrops that raced downwards, mesmerized. A buzz in her coat pocket would partially startle her out of her inactive trance, fumbling through each of the far too many pockets of her peacoat until she managed to rescue the device from its fabric imprisonment. She'd take a few seconds to process the notification bubble before turning her head to look towards the door, a friendly smile pursing her lips as she quickly turned back and packed her belongings into her satchel. She fed her arms through her coat, properly adjusting either side before crossing her shoulders with her bag strap, and hurriedly scooting out of the room.

"Hello hello," she greeted Helia, blowing some unruly locks out of her eyes before they had a chance to get comfortable on her glasses. "How has this
lovely day been treating you?" Bea was curious what the girl got up to, being better adjusted to university living while still having time to lend a helping hand. Things had barely begun and already Bea struggled to keep things organized and balanced, and she imagined that if she developed some sort of social life, the difficulty of maintenance would only be doubled.

Barnes awaited his student mentor in a hallway of the Bloomfield science building. Nestled in a cosy alcove, he sat in one of two ornate wooden chairs by a window.
The moody weather outside of his temporary reading spot provided a strangely comforting atmosphere. Perhaps it reminded him of the frequently overcast skies back home. The soft tapping of the rain calming the mind.

He sat there for far longer than he realised, sinking into his sandy brown longcoat, engrossed in one of his textbooks. His intention being to do some idle reading to pass the time. Hoping to make some much needed headway on the course.

Though at times he could seem the part of an eager student, it'd been years since he'd been immersed in an academic setting, and MU's apparent prestige threatened to overwhelm him. His peers too, so far had done little to dissuade the feeling he didn't quite belong here.
Even the elaborate interiors of the buildings that comprised the universtiy, a stark contrast to the dreary crumbling town that surrounded it, felt strange. As if all the energy and youth of Arkham was drawn to the grounds.

All the more reason for him to have sought help from the mentorship program, right?
Only now he felt his initial apprehension about doing so was growing roots in his mind.

Halfway through reading a sentence, the muted hum of his phone vibrating in his inner coat pocket pulled Barnes' attention away from his textbook. Eyes lowering in anticipation from the pages as his hand slipped the buzzing phone out into the open.
The silhouette icon of his pictureless contact stared blankly back at him through the lock screen, 'Freddy Morgan.'

After a moment's hesitation, contemplating on how disappointed he should feel, he finally picked up the call, "Hey. Get caught up with something?" He spoke plainly, granting Freddy an out. He was two for two on being late, but Barnes didn't want to lay into his supposed lifeline too hard yet.

A L I S T A I R⠀R I C E

98D3150B-0D3A-43B1-B8F7-810134BF3D00.jpeg

❝ horror haunts strange and far places. ❞

.・。.・゜・.・・゜・。.​

September 9th, 2022
Swift Hall Dormitory
4:50 pm

Alistair had skipped class. It was so beneath him to do so, and yet— he did not seem to care.

He had been watching the rain for hours. He was sitting in his room, his lounge chair positioned up against the window. His chin rested on his palm, fingers curled against his lips. It was obvious that he hadn't been sleeping well; his eyes were heavy, eyelids dragging downward slowly and dark circles painted his face. His gaze was glassy, staring ahead and yet not seeing anything.

He couldn't get her out of his head.

Her warm smile. Her bright eyes. The way she'd laugh as she said his name.

She was gone. That was it. He only had his memories now.

'If only I had been able to translate that note sooner, maybe she'd still be—'

The abrupt buzzing of his cell phone against his desk drew Alistair out of his own head. He frowned, dragging his eyes from the window to glance in its direction. As the screen lit up the room, he could make out several notifications— ones that he had been ignoring. His features impassive, he attempted to turn his attention back to the rain, but the incessant vibrations of incoming messages made it hard to ignore anymore.

With a heavy sigh, he pushed himself out of the lounge chair and reached for the phone. His eyes narrowed as they caught the harsh light of the screen, eyebrows furrowed as he scanned through his notifications:

12 unread messages from Parliament
1 unread message from F. Armitage
3 unread messages from Freddy M.
2 unread messages from Ophelia
5 unread messages from Emily

3 missed calls from Emily
1 missed call from Ophelia

His absence seemed to even bring Armitage out of the woodwork— a personal text from Finley on any other day would have given Alistair bragging rights against the rest of the Parliament. He frowned, annoyed at his own obliviousness. They all did not deserve to be ignored for trying to be there for him, but the more he thought about what happened, the less he wanted to talk about it anymore.

His phone buzzed again, this time the message displayed at the top of the screen:

Parliament
F. Armitage
Armitage, please. I’ll see just you then, Rice. See you soon.

Shit. He had forgotten they had a study session today. He instinctively went to check for the time on his wristwatch— before remembering why it was no longer there. His eyes darted back to his phone, where the clock read 4:55 pm. He had just about five minutes to walk from Swift to Orne in the rain.

He quickly typed a reply before shoving his phone into his jacket pocket and rushing to find his shoulder bag.

Yeah, right; I’ll be there in ten.

.・。.・゜・.・・゜・。.​

Parliament Study Room
Orne Library
5:10 pm

Alistair hadn't been back to the library since the vigil. Dr. Park had been kind enough to give him a few days off, following what happened. At the time, Alistair had protested; days off seemed unnecessary, especially now. But Dr. Park had insisted, leaving Alistair no choice but to avoid the library for a time.

He missed the place. Walking up the
stairs towards the old wing felt like he was walking back home— but each step carried more sadness than before.

As he reached the door of their study room, he paused, heaving a sigh to try and calm his nerves. His friends knew enough about him to know how much Amity had meant to him. He was sure they were not expecting him to be okay after everything. Still; they had work to do, and he'd rather pour himself into his studies than old memories again. He had already missed enough. Folding his lips in determination, he pushed the wooden door open; the light inside greeted him like an old friend.

"Sorry 'bout the time, Armitage; I, um— I got held up." Alistair muttered with a half-hearted smile to the young man already sitting in the room. He slipped his bag off his shoulder, hanging it off the corner of one of the chairs before taking a seat. He pulled a couple of textbooks and notebooks out of the bag, placing them on the table in front of him.

"Right. So, just us them? Should we get started?"

mood: contemplative & downcast.
outfit: here.
interactions: finley armitage.
mentions: amity graves, dr. eric park, finley armitage.

tl;dr — alistair's late for a parliament study session after spending the day in his room.

Last edited:
Prince had once heard from his mother that death was like flower in the breast pocket of a coat everyone wears. Over time, it wilts and fades, perhaps worn, or perhaps pretending to be as fresh as when it was picked. And though many refuse to look down and acknowledge the state of the flower, it's never a bad choice to glance at it every now and then.

That analogy had always scared Prince slightly back when he was a child. The imagery of clocks and flowers swirled in his nightmares for a number of days after that, which his sister had to calm him from. But the simple idea that death was able to be discerned by simply looking at a certain direction, yet never being able to find it, terrified him.

Yet now, a death didn't seem to carry the same impact, which was a shame. Prince had never been extremely close to Amity, but it was still a tragedy that she had been taken so soon in her life. There was no build-up, no illness, no disaster. Still, Prince went about his day as he would any other semester. While he acted very normal, the deepening well of unease from Amity's fate sat in the back of his mind.

----

It was the mention of the very event that snapped Prince back to reality. He had paused in the middle of one of the nicer hallways in the Administration Building, just off the MUSG Office. Looking at the name imprinted into the door, he paused a second time. There were several of his classmates who hadn't been corresponding lately, still trying to let the news of Amity's death sink in. He wondered if by accepting this, he was dishonoring her in some fashion. After all, he had heard that it was Amity's spot he was replacing in the first place.

Clearing his throat, Prince knocked on the door twice, firmly. A beat passed. Someone on the other side was talking to someone over the phone presumably, and paused to allow him entry.

It was Fay Morgan, one of the heads of this whole ordeal. He was there for the paper, so he had to make sure that he did everything correctly. Prince really wasn't one for the Current Times articles anyway, but there was a gap that not many others were willing to fill.

"Hey. I'm Prince Dupin, the one filling in. I'm here to get a pass for the event later."

Chapter I
Inauguration
Playlist

Helia’s pale lips pulled themselves into a small but friendly grin which didn’t seem to reach her eyes, the sleepiness weighing far too heavy to lift up with a mere expression of joy. The sophomore would need a coffee, or two. Nonetheless, Helia tried, for her mentee, whose experience during the early stages of MU is her responsibility.

Thanks to Fay, Helia and Freddy were encouraged (with Freddy a sibling favour was added into the mix) to join the student mentorship program. While the yearly intake wasn’t large unlike many other universities, there were even less mentors to ease the hearts of greenhorn MU students, especially those who’ve come from overseas.

Having grown up as an Arkham local most of her life, Helia wasn’t able to fully understand the terror of being in a new environment and having to remain there for three years and possibly more. Not only that, but growing up in the decaying and ominously gloomy pocket in the world that seemed to rival even the most gloomiest of places made the dreary atmosphere a normal to Helia. So as she stood before Bea, Helia awkwardly waved in greeting, and replied with,

“It’s been alright, same old same old. That’s Arkham for you though. I hope you’ve adjusted well so far?”

As Helia conversed with Bea, a boisterous gaggle of students rushed by, surprisingly already dressed head to toe in a toga complete with wreathes atop their heads, to which Helia’s glance briefly diverted to. Upon more observation, they had contemporary adjustments; bold makeup, stilettos, and elaborate hairdos. She even caught a hint of their musing, catching words, particularly names, on their lips—Monty, Freddy, and a slew of other unfamiliar names. She presumed they were making guesses of this year’s Orator. That, or their intended targets for their wiles for a place as the arm candy of said popular individuals.

“Ah, speaking of which, you going to Toga tonight? I’d say that’s the best place to meet people,” Helia inquired, turning back to the freshman with a sheepish smile. “That’s how I met some of my friends.”

‘Under embarrassing circumstances, that is,’ she thought, cringing at the blue of mental images of the night she met the rest of the study group through her previous boyfriend. One image stood out to her clearly, and it was of herself knocking over a potted topiary onto Freddy whilst in a tipsy stupor, which Freddy refused to quit reminding her and the Parliament of.

“But of course, if that’s your kind of thing, that is.”

Freddy slowed his jogging to a speed walk, relieved Barnes picked up. Taking a couple of seconds to compose himself and stabilise his breathing, Freddy donned his signature smile as he spoke.

“Hey Barnes, so sorry about that. Kinda double-booked myself. Let me grab you a coffee to make it up to you,” Freddy proposed as he turned the corner to see Barnes tucked away in an alcove. It was a picturesque image, the foggy window showing the rain and gloom outside and the freshman in a contemplative position. It made Freddy falter in his steps, the image before him reminding him of a portrait of his grandfather in the parlour sitting in a similar environment and pose, the said portrait being his company other than his twin during his childhood. Freddy didn’t let his thoughts wander that far and brushed the memory off, and said, “whoops, found you!”

Freddy hung up, putting away his phone as he approached the tower of a man dubbed Barnes. Once at his side, Freddy gave Barnes a friendly and firm pat on the shoulder, peeking at the book the freshman was reading.

“Damn, Barney, studying already? You remind me of someone,” he said with a chuckle, a mental image of Finley popping up in his head, scowl and everything. He could just hear Finley now and his scolding later for not having done his study plan for the semester. “Hell, even the fit’s the same. I should introduce you guys, if you’re not too busy later that is. You should come to Toga tonight too!”

Finley hummed in confirmation as Alistair took his seat.

“Here,” he said, no particular emotion in his voice as he slides a saucer over. A brightly glazed donut decorated with sprinkles sat on the porcelain. Finley also slid a takeaway cup of coffee from Pal’s over next to the donut and awkwardly gestured to the two items he offered to Alistair. It was a comedic image: Finley walking from Pal’s with a colourful desert in hand which stood out from his figure, perpetually swathed in dark colours and paired with his scowl, eyes icey from behind his spectacles that seemed to glower at nothing all the time.

His materials were laid out neatly; his syllabus laid on the right side by his text book, pencil case above, and a notebook and glass of water on his left. His coat hung behind him on his chair, leaving an olive green button down and leather suspenders. Surprisingly, one button was undone and his tie was loosened, and his hair was a few strands out of place.

The Parliament’s study room fell into a silence—usually a byproduct of the absence of a certain Morgan twin. This time, the radio played purely music, Finley having his phone plugged in and muted, his lock screen displaying the music playing. For a few minutes, it remained quiet, but Finley tore his eyes away from the textbook to observe his friend. He noted the missing watch, the longing of sleep present but appeared to be rejected for obvious reasons. Finley’s brows twitched, and if one observed carefully, a sad expression briefly arose but was quickly wiped away.

“…I presume you’ve got a study agenda done?” Finley asked with that same emotionless voice, but his face was laced with uncertainty. He never was the most comforting presence nor the best at giving comfort, he admitted. The last time he attempted to comfort his fellow study mate was Helia after being dumped, but his perspective of comfort relying on cold, solid truth wasn’t exactly everyone’s cup of tea. “I’ve been fortunate to have interesting units this semester. Mesopotamia is much more engaging than I thought. I hope it’s the same for you?”

Fay’s eyes traced Prince as he entered, from his shoes to his eyes—eyes that caught her attention the most. They were cat-like, but not in the way that’d leave an impression of a sketchy or sly individual. They were like the eyes of a curious cat, wide and alert, the kind that’d belong to an individual who’d to chase the truth down no matter how murky the road.

‘It’s almost adorable,’ she thought with a smile from her seat. The MUSG councillor got up and made her way around the desk to greet Prince properly.

“Your president must’ve already informed you, but I’m Fay. Looking forward to working with you, Prince.” Like her twin, Fay gave Prince a pat on his shoulder but in a softer manner—the trademark Morgan family touchiness. “Seriously, you’re a lifesaver. Thanks for coming in today. I can give you a ride to Oleander Manor after I grab the pass for you, if you’d like. It’s about to rain cats and dogs out there.”

sophocles sophocles Maximousse Maximousse Obnoxious Obnoxious Squad141 Squad141

Last edited:
Toga, Toga...

What was Toga again, exactly?
Was it the era? The clothing? It was almost embarrassing that they were only a couple of sentences into their conversation and Bea was already running into questions, and well before the course work had even begun. She convinced herself that it didn't matter and allowed her mind to move on.

Golden laurels, bedsheet-esque dresses, complicated sandals, the lot. She had done her shopping a week or two beforehand, the casual demeanor she continued to hold failing to portray her genuine excitement for the event. She knew it wasn't really anything to be taken seriously, but outside of social happenings she had no other reason to mingle and that had left her with an empty phone, and with no proper excuse she was terrible at initiating conversations with even the most intriguing strangers.

"It's a yearly thing then?" Bea half-heartedly inquired, pushing her hands into her pockets. Every year students would wrap linens around themselves and get shit-faced and yet they continue to hold the event so she had to assume the popularity and togetherness had to outweigh whatever shenanigans the students would inevitably get up to.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt then. Tonight you said? Sheesh, that doesn't give me a lot of time to prepare..."

No need, she already had her outfit meticulously picked out and had even handcrafted some of the hair decorations, but it gave her this nonchalant vibe that she liked, as if it would impress Helia -- or anyone for that matter.
"Well, Toga aside, what's on the roster for us?" Bea changed the subject, worried her interest might be noticed if she lingered too long on the topic.

"If it's not rude of me to say, Helia, you look like you could use a nap or a uh... coma before the Toga" she chuckled a bit, trying to be lighthearted with her suggestion. For a girl that essentially hibernated but never felt rested, she knew how much of a hassle a lack of energy was, and it would be especially bad if she was trying to have a good time tonight.

Last edited:
'That's right, everyone drinks coffee in America, don't they,' he thought to himself as the call ended, still used to coworkers back home offering tea on breaks. Though he wasn't sure where his preference lay between the two brews. A caffeine kick could be nice.

Upon noticing Freddy's arrival, Barnes found any hints of brewing animosity within him ebbing away with each moment he was present. His cheery persona certainly seemed infectious, even if he couldn't be sure how entirely sincere it was this soon. Regardless, it already provided a much needed distraction from his own unwittingly self-imposed isolation.

"Yeah well, I wouldn't want to fall behind early," he said with a shrug. Closing the book with a soft thud shortly after. Finally ending his impromptu study session.

"I hope your friend's as exciting as I must be," he lightly joked, trying to let himself loosen up and begin to match Freddy's energy. Clearly the young mentor was trying his best now that he was present. Only a few seconds had passed and the prospect of making new friends and partying was being pushed. Or was that just Freddy's natural state?

As he packed his things away, rising from his seat. Barnes thoughts drifted to the Toga. He'd toyed with the idea, but hadn't fully commited to going yet.
It was likely painfully obvious to Freddy that he needed to get out more. Maybe he could've convinced himself he didn't need to go, even without work today, but there was no way he could convince the lively guy standing next to him.

"So... I need some kind of robe, right?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back