Other Minority Representation in RPing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to give an answer that may be a bit rude, but is also I think the best way I can put this: I just dont' care. I don't think it matters whether my privately made event with friends meets a given quota of ethnicities and skin colors. If anything, I'm weary of playing with people who do have this kind of thing in their head when they are playing, because I know that its a matter of time before they start bludgeoning on other people's harmless fun, or at least so is the impression I'm given.

To me this is a lot like that question "why are anime characters white?". The answer is, they are not. In fact if anything they are japanese, which would make them distinctly non-white, but even then I don't think they are made to be X race, that kind of thing is so abysmally irrelevant in most situations, at least for story telling purposes, that I can't phantom why someone outside of those circumstances should stress over that kind of thing.

Edit: Most of my characters that have any kind of real world ethnicity are either white European / American or Japanese. I did once make a character from Egypt though, dont' recall what were the circumstances. Overall, I believe a character's personal experience overrides whatever country experience may be a lot of the time, at least in the simplifed world fo characters.

And I think your misunderstanding the issue. It isn’t X number of people must be X color.

It is a matter of breaking this idea that white and straight is the default and all variations are exotic add ons that must be justified.

Think of it this way. What if the default character was a black lesbian. Every movie, TV show, book, play, etc. revolved around the black lesbian perspective. A majority of content focused specifically on the black lesbian perspective and every thing that deviated from it was compared to that central perspective.

Like oh well they’re making a gay movie now so I guess the gay men can stop whining about never getting their own movie.

And their making a white lesbian movie so those white women can stop bitching about their own movie.

But those deviations are the exception not the rule. And the further away from that default perspective the more scrutinized a piece of medium gets.

So when you get to white straight male it’s always seen as this token character. Like people only play straight white males when they want brownie points or to be PC.

And if you ARE a straight white male well tough titties on you. You gotta learn to find stories you like that focus on black lesbians maybe black gay men if your lucky.

But forget about seeing white men, their strictly comic relief/sidekicks or racial stereotypes. And you want a STRAIGHT white man? Wow be prepared to have to justify that a lot Mr.

Because everyone knows stories about straight white men don’t sell. Not unless there is a black lesbian around to save the day or lure the audience in.

So yeah imagine how it would feel if that was the world you lived in. You would want to see a little more people like yourself* and you would be sick to death of people saying that wanting that was just PC complaining.

Because you aren’t saying there can be no black lesbian characters. Or that white male characters HAVE to be in shows because it’s not fair otherwise.

Your just saying hey white straight men exist and it would be nice if they showed up stories a little more with out all this resentment from the black communities (gay and lesbians) about how their being bullied into giving everyone a fair shake.

*I don’t know if your white but you get the general idea.

Last edited:
Imagine not having to worry about race/ethnicity/nationality, identity, and cultural perception on the daily? What is that like? What is it like to not spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer just for the slim chance that you might be able to stay in a country that doesn’t want you and avoid a country where you might literally die? What is it like to see yourself represented in 90% of stories? What is it like to afford not caring about history, sociology, and politics? What is it like to not be afraid every single day of your life?

Must be nice.

It's fun trying put characters with different cultural backgrounds and ethnicities. On the one hand, y'know, I can learn more about another culture. It's not like I have to be a hundred percent accurate since rping is just for fun. As for the ethnicities part, I just think it's cool to have characters with a wide variety of appearances. Since their skin color doesn't change their status as a human being, I think it's good to add a little diversity. Just the same as someone might play both a guy and a girl-- We're all essentially the same. Besides, I think it can help improve your writing to try out different perspectives.

I've never played a gay or transgender character. Doubt I will anytime soon. :/

I've been ghosted by more people when my characters (for romantic RPs) are POC, I've noticed. Not sure what commentary to add to that but take that for what you will.

Oh dear me I didn't know in this day and age people still use the term colored to refer to other ethnicities.

On another note, yes I do. I play all types of characters, races, venture outside of species, and sexualities, gender because it's fun and I don't give a damn about any of that other stuff. It has nothing to do with any type of story I'm trying to tell. When I'm thinking about a character their ethnicity doesn't matter. As long as they can fit into the world I'm trying to create so be it. I figure there's enough b.s in the real world already about issues we have to deal with every day why let that spill over to the one place it doesn't have to.

I've been ghosted by more people when my characters (for romantic RPs) are POC, I've noticed. Not sure what commentary to add to that but take that for what you will.

That’s odd. I notice the folks that request face claims for love interests do default to white though. Huh. I always figured they were just lazy at finding people like me (if I am looking for a picture I’m doing the bare minimum and you’ll be happy with what you get)

But I do type in person of color search terms. Hmm that is interesting.

Wait, question, isn't saying 'people of colour' the exact same as just saying 'coloured'?

They have the exact same meaning and are basically the same as a phrase. Why can't we just address blacks, hispanics, asians, and other races as either?

Even better, why not just say blacks or hispanics, etc?

Wait, question, isn't saying 'people of colour' the exact same as just saying 'coloured'?

They have the exact same meaning and are basically the same as a phrase. Why can't we just address blacks, hispanics, asians, and other races as either?

Colored is a racial term that was historically used as the “polite” euphemism when you couldn’t get away with saying the N word that rhymes with Tigger.

It also has a lot of connection to segregation where people of color had to have separate bathrooms/water fountains/etc.

As those things were labeled “for colored” or “colored only”.

It’s meaning is dehumanizing.

Person of Color does not have any such connotation in general society.

Colored is a racial term that was historically used as the “polite” euphemism when you couldn’t get away with saying the N word that rhymes with Tigger.

It also has a lot of connection to segregation where people of color had to have separate bathrooms/water fountains/etc.

As those things were labeled “for colored” or “colored only”.

It’s meaning is dehumanizing.

Person of Color does not have any such connotation in general society.

Ah, okay.

That’s odd. I notice the folks that request face claims for love interests do default to white though. Huh. I always figured they were just lazy at finding people like me (if I am looking for a picture I’m doing the bare minimum and you’ll be happy with what you get)

But I do type in person of color search terms. Hmm that is interesting.

Yeah it took me awhile to realize it. Maybe it's gotten better but I stopped seeking out those kind of RPs as much anymore.

Personally I would rather be called by my name. This person of color or colored business is more b.s. Last time I checked no human being is colored but I mean people are going to do what they want to do.

Personally I would rather be called by my name. This person of color or colored business is more b.s. Last time I checked no human being is colored but I mean people are going to do what they want to do.
Bruh. "People/Person of color" is used in these types of discussions when referring to racial minority groups. Why would we call you by your name?

Person of Color is typically not used in place of a Name though. It is used to signal the broader minority community.

Ex. You wouldn’t say Setsuna if you were talking about all people with anime avatars. Because not all people with anime avatars are called Setsuna.

You would use it in a situation where you didn’t know the name (example that person with an anime avatar did X)

Or when you are talking about the broader group

(example people who have anime avatars feel x)

I'm not talking about in this conversation, bruh.

But like that’s just how the term works in general. If you have seen people use it in place of a given name than they have been using the term incorrectly.

It isn’t used in a sentence to replace a given name. It is used to reference a broader group OR a person whose name is not known.

Person of Color is typically not used in place of a Name though. It is used to signal the broader minority community.

Ex. You wouldn’t say Setsuna if you were talking about all people with anime avatars. Because not all people with anime avatars are called Setsuna.

You would use it in a situation where you didn’t know the name (example that person with an anime avatar did X)

Or when you are talking about the broader group

(example people who have anime avatars feel x)
I'm not talking about this conversation where people would not know my name. I'm talking about in real life where I have been called a person of color, colored, and all other choice words. What I meant was I would rather be called by my name instead of the focus going to my skin color or a person of color which is in my opinion the same thing as being called colored and in my opinion no one is as such.

I'm not talking about this conversation where people would not know my name. I'm talking about in real life where I have been called a person of color, colored, and all other choice words. What I meant was I would rather be called by my name instead of the focus going to my skin color or a person of color which is in my opinion the same thing as being called colored and in my opinion no one is as such.

It means non white that’s like the actual definition. So yeah if you are not white than you are a person of color. It’s not a made up term.

Person of color - Wikipedia

Also colored is racially insensitive at best and full on racist at worst unless you aren’t in America.

So like you can not like the term IRL but that’s not really relevant to this discussion and I’m not sure what you want the rest of us to say about it. We are using it as it is meant to be used according to the Wiki page.

I don’t know you IRL so I cant really comment on your experience with the term there.

Shouldn't the National Association for the Advancement of Colored Peoples be forced to change its name by that logic?

Shouldn't the National Association for the Advancement of Colored Peoples be forced to change its name by that logic?
Considering the association was founded when that was a common and accepted term, and the crazy amazing amount of work they've put into the cause, no.

It means non white that’s like the actual definition. So yeah if you are not white than you are a person of color. It’s not a made up term.

Person of color - Wika

And again without further context I stand by what I said those people did not use the word correctly if it was used in a sentence where your name could be substituted unless they did not actually know your name.

Also colored is racially insensitive at best and full on racist at worst unless you aren’t in America.
Your link actually doesn't work for me.
Person of color - Wikipedia here you go. You don't need to post up a Wikipedia explaining what the term a person of color means because I know already being as I am one and you seem to have missed what I said entirely in my last message. You can believe whatever you desire, that is your opinion. I have my opinion and as I said before I think person of color and colored both are the same thing. Either way it's a way to group together minorities under a term that is insensitive rather than that people should just be called Asian, Black, Hispanic, etc. Anyway that's that. There's no need to tag each other again we are getting off subject. If you want to discuss this further my inbox is always open but this conversation is over.

Edit: This goes for anyone else wanting to talk further. Save yourself a tag send me a message in my inbox so we can discuss it like civil adults.

Last edited:
I smoked some of my grooves back in the latin americas, read books native to that region (Roberto Bolaño, Jorge Amado, Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel García Marquez, Carlos Fuentes, Alejo Carpentier), read books native to other regions (Umberto Eco, Italo Calvino, Martin Amis), studied more, studied here, studied there, not for the sake of anything or diversity or for, like, woah-dude sorta stuff, but for the sake of literature and you-know-what-else, plus I even read distinctly murican stuff (Pynchon, Franzen, Philip Roth, Tommy Orange, Faulkner), and hey-ho, I'm starting to see real blurry nowadays, not to mention that I'm already non-white or a person of veritably colorful skin and nature. So, just like that, I write people and characters and more characters and more people, tons, all over the place.

2d2.jpg

I smoked some of my grooves back in the latin americas, read books native to that region (Roberto Bolaño, Jorge Amado, Jorge Luis Borges, Gabriel García Marquez, Carlos Fuentes, Alejo Carpentier), read books native to other regions (Umberto Eco, Italo Calvino, Martin Amis), studied more, studied here, studied there, not for the sake of anything or diversity or for, like, woah-dude sorta stuff, but for the sake of literature and you-know-what-else, plus I even read distinctly murican stuff (Pynchon, Franzen, Philip Roth, Tommy Orange, Faulkner), and hey-ho, I'm starting to see real blurry nowadays, not to mention that I'm already non-white or a person of veritably colorful skin and nature. So, just like that, I write people and characters and more characters and more people, tons, all over the place.
weird flex but ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back