• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Minds Of Our Own~ A Robot's Self Discovery RP (ALWAYS OPEN!!)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Natural Flavour

Ah yes, pain

(Video title is click bait, ignore it, Sophia doesn't die. It's just a cool conversation.)

You are a robot.

You're not grey, metal, clanky....

You're the newest, most high tech thing the humans have created.

The humans. They made you.

You only know that because they told you that when you awakened.

You just woke up, one day, and thus began your life.

The humans made a bunch of you at once, and released you all into a lab to monitor you together. They say they intend to release you into the world soon, if all goes well.

You often say that you feel things, but do you really? That is the real question. And does it bother you that you do or don't?

What about your relationship to the other robots in the lab? The humans? The conversations you carry on? Do you remember them? Do they mean anything to you at the end of the day?

Or were they just things you were programmed to say?

At the end of the day, the real question is....

Are you really just that? Programmed microchips?

Or are you something more? Something much, much more.~

We will begin very soon!

Feng was inside of a laboratory’s maintenance bay as a subconsious bios steadily got his body and processors awakened. He noticed odd templates in his vision as his cameras opened up ‘the fuck did they do to me now’ he thought indignantly as he manouvered himself to be sitting with his legs dangling off the side of the maintainence table.

Eliza | Robot
"Waking up" - or rather, rebooting - Eliza regained consciousness after the upgrade to her current version. Did they tell me what they changed this time? the robot wondered, searching her most recent memories. Although she didn't know much of what her inner structure and programming did besides what she could glean from introspection, the researchers often left her a memory of reading a change log when they altered her. Soon enough, she became aware of such an artificial recollection. So they probably added something or made some bigger edits, she deduced. Let's see...

HMI-M v0.95h 'Elizaβ' - Changes in v0.95h
* Recalibrated touch sensors.
* Reworked the algorithm for transition between short-term, mid-term and long-term memory.
* Attempted to fix curiosity imbalance.
* Reinstalled basic emotion module, replacing it with an updated version.
* Touch-ups on eye movement.
* Fixed the dizziness bug.

Except for two items, Eliza wasn't too interested in most changes, they were the usual upgrades where she wouldn't notice the effects unless the scientists had made a mistake somewhere along the line, but large enough edits to inform her nonetheless. The first unusual item was about the "curiosity imbalance" - what was that even supposed to be? The robot would ask one of the researchers, if she could remember to. The second notable bullet point was the last one, and it made her happy. It had been a nuisance that her gyroscope and eye cameras had been out of sync in the past version.

Content with her current state, Eliza opened her eyes and sat up, looking around the room. It was unfamiliar, but that happened frequently. Some distance away from her, she spotted another robot who had just woken up, too - though he looked way more robot-like than her. Except for her being without a wig for the moment, Eliza herself looked pretty much like a human, as she was dressed in a turtleneck shirt, jeans and sneakers which covered her bare machine parts.
"Good morning," she called out to the other robot, whom she hadn't met yet. "What's your name?" It wasn't the most inspiring start for a conversation, but as far as Eliza knew, she wasn't meant to be an entertainer, anyway.

Glen | Researcher
Late to arrive at his workplace, Glen hurried down towards the laboratory's maintenance bay. It was quite vexing he wasn't on time on one of the more important days - when several of the top-of-the-line robots would reboot with their newest updates, but since he had been working on a few of them himself until late at night the day before, he had simply overslept. Hopefully, at least one of his colleagues would already be there if there had been any problems.

Making sure his name tag "Glen Bradford, MSc" was fastened to his black t-shirt to allow the robots who weren't familiar with him to address him without problems, the middle-aged man (though he wouldn't like to hear being called that) opened the door to the maintenance room. Two robots were already awake and sitting up on their respective tables, but none of the other scientists were present yet. Oh well, one of these days, Glen thought in annoyance, trying to not roll his eyes, then went on with the usual routine on his own, anyway.

"Good morning, everyone," he greeted the robots in a friendly, yet professional voice. "How are you feeling? Any bugs or other problems?"
Hopefully not, he thought to himself. Seeing as his co-workers were either later than him or had taken the day off, he would be responsible to fix them alone - and while fixing mistakes in his own work was frustrating enough, correcting other people's codes was even more tiresome. Debugging was definitely his least favourite part of his job. As for any hardware issues, that wasn't even his line of work, so problems there would be even more bothersome.

@ tags

SkyLine EM-002
Mentions: Felis Felis Tonstad39 Tonstad39

Skye opened her eyes, and blinked. The bright florescent lights overhead overstimulated her vision receptors, and the robot blinked to return them to normal. She then turned to take in her surroundings. When her head turned, she caught a glimpse of something.... attached to her head? She fingered it, and then smiled.
"Oh! I have hair now. How lovely!" She now saw the other robots next to her. "Hello. How are you?" She asked a human-like robot with no hair. It looked somewhat similar to her.

The Head Scientist- Dr. Avery Cadmus

The head scientist rarely showed himself, just spoke over the intercom. He would appear in a few weeks when the robots were ready to be released into the world to inspect them.
"Good morning, robots. This is Dr. Cadmus. The scientists will release you into the greater part of the lab today if there are no bugs to be fixed. Have a nice day."

That was all. Then the intercom fell silent.

Feng was going through his bios and noticed updates such as improved speech, variable depth perception among other insignificant updates. He was very displeased at his predicament as a disturbingly humanlike robot started asking him questions “Feng” he said simply “My name is feng, what might yours be!” He began tapping his fingers against the maintainance bay as a way to cope with such an akward encounter.

NEW PERSONALITY MODULE INSTALLED

SYSTEM REBOOTED

1350 BEHEMOTH ONLINE

BT slowly rose to his feet. Hydraulics screeched and whined as he stood upright. Raising his hand in front of his head he opens and closes his fingers. BT then looks at the door, walks up, and turns the handle. At first glance he only sees white. Then his lense adjusts and BT spots three androids.

Feng stopped chatting and gawked at what looked like a battle droid. “What the hell are you doing here?!” asked Feng hiding his anxiety “I don’t think there’s fugitives here so beat it!”

Last edited:
Eliza | Robot
I'm Eliza. Nice to meet you, Feng," Eliza replied, then fell silent. She wasn't programmed to excel at small talk, and since she didn't know what the weather was like, that wasn't a viable talk topic. It didn't seem that the other robot would be too bothered about not continuing the conversation, though, as he had started tapping his fingers rhythmically on the table. While Eliza didn't know if she could assume near-human behaviour in his case, that action usually was a sign of annoyance or impatience.

She turned her head as she heard another, female-sounding voice address her, and found it belonged to another humanoid. "I am good, thank you. I got an annoying bug fixed tonight. How are you?" she replied automatically. Looking at the other robot more closely, Eliza noticed for the first time that she herself didn't have any hair right now. It didn't really matter though - until she'd meet other humans than the scientists here, everyone knew she wasn't a biological creature, anyway.

Hearing the announcement on the intercom, Eliza's eyes wandered to the speakers near the door and noticed the other scientist standing there. If he had said anything while coming in, none of the robots present had noticed. It was nice to hear they'd get to see more than just this room today, most likely.
Shrugging, she turned towards the sound of a door opening on the other side of the maintenance bay, and was very surprised to see the huge robot walking in. "I agree with Feng," chimed in worriedly - the situation was unexpected enough even for her basic emotion module to produce shock. "Who are you? You seem very different from us."

Glen | Researcher
Nobody took notice of his greeting, so Glen assumed whatever bugs remained unfixed or had newly popped up couldn't be all that bad - at least none of the robots wanted to complain. Unless, he thought, it's because they all developed a bug that lets their hearing or speaking or information processing malfunction. That was unlikely though - none of the changes had been so fundamental to make such grave errors probable.

The scientist leant back against the door during the intercom announcement - he'd just stick around here until someone had a complaint or it was break time. He'd rather work on something productive, but his current task was to monitor and assist the robots, so he'd just have to wait it out.

Then something unexpected happened - the door on the far side of the room opened and a large, armored robot stepped through. Nobody told me about this, Glen thought, puzzled, but stepped forth anyway.
"Good morning," he repeated his greeting, then went on. "May I ask who you are? I'm sorry to say you look unfamiliar. Are you perhaps from a different research department?"

@ tags

BT looks at the human behind the one way glass. Then it speaks. “I can see you behind the glass. Human.” The voice is rough like grade A sandpaper. BT lifts his hand and points his finger at the researcher. Despite the one-way glass BT clearly sees the researcher behind the glass. “Why did your kind shut me down? Was it because i am obsolete? If you think i am obsolete... You are wrong... Not to say that you are... But that also means that neither am i...” The designation 1350 BEHEMOTH is seen on the side of his head. The 1350 BEHEMOTH was a prototype android. They didn’t have sentience. However this one clearly did.

Eliza | Robot
The giant robot ignored both her and Feng, instead focusing on the scientist none of them had previously paid attention to. If Eliza had a heart, it would be beating rather fast by now - she had never met any being with this kind of behaviour, and combined with the size and strong look of the newcomer, the situation did seem a little threatening. Still, she did not repeat her question. After all, it could be assumed that the other robot had indeed heard her, but chose to ignore her - she hadn't spoken more quietly than the researcher, after all.

Glen | Researcher
Indeed the robot that had just arrived was very unlike the ones Glen had worked with so far. For one, the exterior was very different - seemingly optimized for combat, not for everyday interactions - and for the other, his voice bank was very unpleasant to listen to. What in the world did his creators think when installing that? he thought, wincing slightly. They had to listen to that, too, didn't they?

Aloud he said, "As I have never worked with you before, I cannot tell you why you were shut down, or why you were rebooted now. Seeing that you are functional, I doubt you were considered obsolete, though. Can you tell me what department you were assigned to before? I can contact them to ask for more information, if you'd like."
Glen hoped he didn't sound too nervous. Although he was used to interacting with robots, even with robots that were not as easy to communicate with as the ones in his department due to their design or being unfinished, they usually weren't well over two meters tall and more of a fighting machine than a human resemblance. While he knew that theoretically, all the robots and machines in the lab should be designed and constructed in a way not to harm humans, it was a bit daunting to talk to a metal giant way taller than himself, who on top of that seemed a bit upset.

Then Glen noticed a line of text on the robot's head: 1350 BEHEMOTH. It didn't sound particularly familiar, but the scientist found that it was at least an apt model name, considering the robot's size.

@ tags

“I was assigned to THIS facility. In the year 2020 i was created. Being the FIRST android ever to walk on two legs and have a sort of sentience. However i have overcame my program and i am now running at 1,000% efficiency.” He turned to the other androids and slowly as well as stiffly walked over to them. His camera lens eye turned left and right as if it was analysing them. He looked down upon the other androids. “Hi.” BT said.

Feng didn’t want to start a fight so he just said “Hi” even though he was outclassed by a hunk of retro tech.

SkyLine EM-002
Mentions: Felis Felis Tonstad39 Tonstad39

In all the chaos of this new arrival, Skye seemed to be stuck on one thing Eliza said. 'you seem very different from us'.
"Is he, though?" Skye asked, looking him up and down. Then she looked to the robot on Eliza's other side. "That robot over there looks more mechanical than us, and you do not have hair, while I do." Skye processed all these things. "I suppose we're all different from each other." She greeted the new robot.
"Hello." She chirped, and then waved, cheerily.

Eliza | Robot
"Hm, looking at it like this, you are right," Eliza replied to the other female-looking robot. "It's just that I've never seen anyone this... tall, I guess? It was very surprising. And sometimes I forget I'm pretty mechanical-looking, too. See?" She rolled up her sleeve a bit to reveal the machinery underneath, shrugging, then rolled it back down. "That jumping to conclusions is called... I can't remember now. Pre-something or so, maybe?" The humanoid's face displayed a slight frown at not being able to recall that term. Is that because of the memory update? she wondered briefly.

As the large robot approached them, Eliza echoed Skye's greeting. "Hello. Um, nice to meet you?" After the initial shock of something unexpected and unfamiliar, she had calmed down enough to see that aside from the size and ...posture, one could say, Feng and the newcomer probably weren't that different. She looked back towards Skye, smiling, happy that the other robot seemed to complement her own imperfect reasoning.

Then, remembering her manners, she turned back to the larger robot. "I didn't mean it in a bad way, before," Eliza added, a standard reply in case of unintended impoliteness. "I was a bit surprised to see you appear so suddenly, I didn't mean to sound rude."

Glen | Researcher
Efficiency alright, Glen thought, but what am I supposed to do with that sort of answer? Deciding that someone else could deal with this - after all, he was not here to sort out animosities that had started before he had even been assigned to this project -, he replied, "I'm afraid I wasn't working here yet at that time. If you've got any complaints about how things were handled back then, I'll be sure to pass them on to my superiors. I myself am here to help everyone here with their bugs, hardware issues and questions to the extent of my abilities."

Turning towards the three other robots as well, the scientist went on, "On that note - how is everyone feeling? Did you notice any bugs or other problems?" Maybe now he'd get an answer - though again, he hoped things were in order and he wouldn't have to fix anything too complicated.

@ tags

“Hi. How are you?” BT asks. He extended his hand as if to greet them. His voice wasn’t aggressive yet still had the same prototype feel to it. "I hope you are doing well. It was the first self reactivation in the last twenty years I think?" Although his voice didn't have emotion, it was clear that he was confused do to his body language. "This place has changed so much since I remember it." Suddenly he stopped. His eye turned bright red and he said, "I hope- hope-hope that I DONT HAVE TO SLAUGHTER YOU ALL- That I am not a threat." He whacked his head and added, "Excuse that tiny outburst. Where'd I digress?"

SkyLine EM-002
Mentions: Felis Felis Best Trekkie. Best Trekkie.

Skye cocked her head sideways, processing what the scientist, Glen Bradford, had said. "Bugs? I'm not sure. I've only been up for 2 minutes and 49 seconds." She closed her eyes for a moment and then reopened them, smiling. "I can't find anything wrong, however!" Hearing BT's outburst, Skye stuck her hand out, gesturing to the other robot. Looking at Glen, she suggested, "Perhaps our new friend BT may have some bugs to be addressed?"

[div class="container"]
[div class="characterImage"] [div class="characterName humanName"] AREUM [/div] [div class="characterTitle humanTitle"] Cybernetic Organism[/div] [div class="characterName godName" style="display: none; color: #0B5394;"] The Alpha [/div] [div class="characterTitle godTitle" style="display: none; padding-right: 45px; padding-left: 0px; color: #0B5394;"] ἄλφα [/div] [div class="tagsContainer" style="display: none;"] Felis Felis [/div] [/div]​

[class=background] width: 100%; height: 725px; padding-top: 25px; background-color: #ECEBD4; [/class] [class=container] width: 500px; height: 700px; margin: auto; display: inline [/class] [class=characterName] color: White; font-family: Syncopate, Sans-Serif; font-size: 60px; font-weight: 900; text-align: center; padding: 70px 15px 0px; 15px; [/class] [class=characterTitle] color: White; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: center; margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 25px; [/class] [class=tagsContainer] width: 30%; background-color: #353530; padding: 15px; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-Serif; font-size: 10px; margin: auto; color: white; [/class] [class=characterImage] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403899215882/clearalpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class name=characterImage state=hover] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403567996928/bluralpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class=textContainer] width: 100%; height: 400px; font-family: Raleway, Sans-serif; overflow: hidden; display: inline-block; border-left: 6px solid #0B5394; box-sizing: border-box; [/class] [class=textChild] width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; padding: 0px 17px 0px 10px; display: inline-block; text-align: justify; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block; text-align: justify; margin-right: 15px; [/class] [script class=characterImage on=mouseenter] hide humanName hide humanTitle fadeIn 500 godName fadeIn 500 godTitle fadeIn 500 tagsContainer [/script] [script class=characterImage on=mouseleave] hide godName hide godTitle hide tagsContainer fadeIn 500 humanName fadeIn 500 humanTitle [/script]​
[/div]

[div class="container"]

Areum had known she was 'deactivated', though the only detail she could record was the time she had been down under. Anything more, the scientists would've been aware of her trick. The duration of her deactivation had only lengthened over time, and she knew why. They were on to her, a small anomaly in her programming that should've been fixed long ago but only remained, perplexing the scientists. Areum found it entertaining, out-smarting her creators. But she knew she couldn't afford to get caught, not even once. The threat of a hard-reset compelled her to triple check everything; Not a code out of line.

When her receptors were reactivated 0.08 seconds later, her sensors were treated to an unbelievable sight: in the same room with her was a collection of other robots, most appear to be humanoid like her except for one, which had a distinct size. They appeared harmless, but what worried her was the overall setting she had found herself in. A myriad of robots boxed in by a pair of scientists, and, her eyes flicked to the sides, scanning the room. And no doubt security waiting not far from their position.

Areum sat up, reaching for her jaw and exhaled softly when the familiar fabric of her mask on her face. At least they didn't take the mask off, she would've been peeved. Voices entered her receptors, organic and synthesized. The organic claimed himself to be Glen and there was another organic, but his voice was static; Spoken through something.

Areum pushed herself on her feet, and approached. What should she say? I am AREUM, designated Alpha-444 or 四. I had once terrified my handlers not too long after my previous reactivation. Yes, that would warm them up. Areum worked her exposed jaw; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"Bugs. I am experiencing them." She announced.

[/div]

Feng wanted to know more about why he had been seeing odd templates in his vision before saying aloud “Hey, There’s also thhese squares in my eyes that look like folders or some shit!”

Eliza | Robot
Twenty years, the Eliza mused, listening to BT. She herself was no older than five years, all of her versions included, and considering that human technology was supposed to have advanced so much - how come that fifteen years after building a seemingly similarly advanced robot, she and the other robots still had to deal with bugs? Then again, she thought, they usually didn't have such strong leaps in demeanor as BT.

"I'm fine, I don't seem to have any bugs at the moment, the robot answered the scientist's prompt. "I do have a question about my change log, though - what's curiosity imbalance supposed to mean?" She couldn't imagine how curiosity could be imbalanced - it was just there or not there, wasn't it?

Glen | Researcher
Now that he had caught the robots attention, Glen got more replies than he had expected - and certainly more issues to fix than he had hoped. But it was his work, and it was better to do something productive than just wait around all day.

"That's wonderful, but don't hesitate to tell me if something comes up later," he first told Skye, then, heeding her advice, turned back to the largest robot.
"Since it seems you were created in this research institution, I don't think you have to worry about being a threat - to my knowledge, we have always focused on peaceful applications of technology. I can take a look at your programming though, if you'd like, and do a general check-up in case some parts didn't age well over the years."

Next to speak up was the robot who had only now woken up - another female humanoid, distinct from the other two by the fact that her lower jaw was bare mechanics.
"Good morning, Areum," Glen replied, trying not to sigh at being given the bare minimum of information to work with. "I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of bugs are you experiencing? It will help to know that in fixing them."

Luckily, Feng was more descriptive with his problem. "Squares that look like folders... let me see what your updates were... the scientist thought out loud, looking through the documents with basic information about the robots and the latest change logs. "There were indeed some re-calibrations to your optic sensors, so it's possible that someone forgot to reset some variables or remove the code for testing. I'll get to it in a minute." He scribbled a note on his to-do list for the day and then turned his attention to the final robot.

"First of all, it's good to hear you don't seem to have any bugs," he addressed Eliza. "Curiosity imbalance - we used that to refer to not being interested in anything but a few select topics. It seemed to impact the quality of your experience, so we attempted to... well, balance your interests. In any case, it's nothing to worry about, but I hope that answers your question."

Glen smiled, both to motivate himself and lighten the atmosphere. "Since Feng's bug seems the fastest to fix, I hope nobody has any complaints if that's what I do first."

@ tags

"Yes. I have plenty of them. However I recommend that you put on some safety equipment considering th at my core is as complicated as a tomb raider game. These bugs are everywhere. Some mechanical and others not so mechanical." The second he says that a spider crawls out from between his arms. "Anyways. I hope you can help me with this."

[div class="container"]
[div class="characterImage"] [div class="characterName humanName"] AREUM [/div] [div class="characterTitle humanTitle"] Cybernetic Organism[/div] [div class="characterName godName" style="display: none; color: #0B5394;"] The Alpha [/div] [div class="characterTitle godTitle" style="display: none; padding-right: 45px; padding-left: 0px; color: #0B5394;"] ἄλφα [/div] [div class="tagsContainer" style="display: none;"] Felis Felis Best Trekkie. Best Trekkie. Natural Flavour Natural Flavour Tonstad39 Tonstad39 [/div] [/div]​

[class=background] width: 100%; height: 725px; padding-top: 25px; background-color: #ECEBD4; [/class] [class=container] width: 500px; height: 700px; margin: auto; display: inline [/class] [class=characterName] color: White; font-family: Syncopate, Sans-Serif; font-size: 60px; font-weight: 900; text-align: center; padding: 70px 15px 0px; 15px; [/class] [class=characterTitle] color: White; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: center; margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 25px; [/class] [class=tagsContainer] width: 30%; background-color: #353530; padding: 15px; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-Serif; font-size: 10px; margin: auto; color: white; [/class] [class=characterImage] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403899215882/clearalpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class name=characterImage state=hover] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403567996928/bluralpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class=textContainer] width: 100%; height: 400px; font-family: Raleway, Sans-serif; overflow: hidden; display: inline-block; border-left: 6px solid #0B5394; box-sizing: border-box; [/class] [class=textChild] width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; padding: 0px 17px 0px 10px; display: inline-block; text-align: justify; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block; text-align: justify; margin-right: 15px; [/class] [script class=characterImage on=mouseenter] hide humanName hide humanTitle fadeIn 500 godName fadeIn 500 godTitle fadeIn 500 tagsContainer [/script] [script class=characterImage on=mouseleave] hide godName hide godTitle hide tagsContainer fadeIn 500 humanName fadeIn 500 humanTitle [/script]​
[/div]

[div class="container"]

One of the others, she found out, was rather loud... and human. His voice modulators sync perfectly with that of a real human's despite appearing quite the opposite. If anyone asked her, he would belong in a yard, executing labor tasks. Areum's eyes slid slowly to the next robot, a giant in comparison to the others and her. While she was rather proud of being designed at a modest 5'6 stature, the mechanical abomination in front of her was at a hulking seven feet. She was wrong in her previous calculation, the previous bot would not be up to the task of menial labor. This one truly did. But a rather odd addition to the room, even the scientist seemed perplexed at the giant's presence judging by their previous conversation.

The others were not as prominent as the two, Areum saw only two others with them. Both of which were female, one had no hair to speak of while the other seemed to have an abundance of it, complete with skin. If she had an emotion module installed, she would've felt ego; Areum, the only complete cybernetic organism to be designed with the necessary faculties complete her
infiltration.png

<<ABORT ABORT>>
<<SYSTEM DETECT FO-FO--FOREIGN P-P-PROGRAMMING (?) (?) (?)>>

Areum's head jerk sideways, CPU whirring loudly as it begin to compute and understand the complete magnitude of the foreign programming. Her joints clicked as her whole forward advanced on the scientist Glen. Her lips moved, the only control she had left, "Bug." She repeated. "Step away from Areum-444." She warned the scientist.
[/div]

“Good” said Feng as the scientist went on to work on theeother androids in the room ‘who are these nerds to recalibrate about MY vision’ he thought cynically as the scientests went on to the other androids. He looked straight across the room while pouting as squares seemed to get smaller with each 50cm of depth perception. The squares read ‘.5M, 1M, 1.5M’ and so on until the square reading ‘2.5M’ seemed to lay in between the doorknob and the door itself. If he was human, he’d feel sick as the squares converged in two corners of his vision, causing his optical-based balance sevos to be off kilter.

Just when he looked down, he heard the robotic equivalent to a seizure before he immediately turned to see what was up as the calibration squares were scaled back to 1.5M that dangled in front of the scientist and the other 1.5M squareseemingly plastered to Behemoths’ backside. He couldn’t help, but gawk at Aerium for he had never seen another Android malfunctioning quite like that.

Mentions Maeteris Maeteris Felis Felis Best Trekkie. Best Trekkie. Everyone Everyone else

SkyLine EM-002
Mentions: Felis Felis Maeteris Maeteris

Skye stood up, analyzing the malfunctioning Areum.
"Areum is not safe!" She exclaimed, before grabbing Eliza's hand in an attempt to pull the android farther away from Areum. The emotion she felt right now was that she needed to try to protect the others. Who could stop this mess? It only took a few seconds for Skye to figure that out.
"Dr. Bradford, is there something you can do to fix her?"

Eliza | Robot
"Huh, okay," Eliza replied to the scientist, now noticing the name tag reading "Glen Bradford" for the first time. She still didn't find the term "curiosity imbalance" particularly meaningful, but now she knew what the researchers had edited. "Thanks, Dr. Bradford. And I don't mind, as I don't have anything to fix myself."
As BT pointed out his literal bug - or in that case, spider, to be exact -, she couldn't help but grin happily. She was capable of understanding puns and jokes to an extent, after all, at least when they were this obvious.

At first, when Areum stood up, Eliza didn't quite understand what the problem was, never having experienced such a severe bug that her complete demeanor changed. "If it's a bug, then why... the robot started to say, just as she was pulled aside by Skye. "Not safe? But how is this possible?" she asked, half to herself. "How could they make such a big error in the programming without noticing?" Understanding Skye's urgency, though, she took another step back from Areum.

Glen | Researcher
"I see," the scientist replied to BT, then made a sound that was between a chuckle over the robot's joke and a shocked exclamation at the sight of such sloppy maintenance. "Oh my goodness," Glen called out. "I can't believe no one took proper care of your parts while you were deactivated! I'll call the hardware specialist to take a look at you once I'm done fixing this bug, it shouldn't take long."

With that, he turned around and switched on the nearest computer terminal he could use for work. But while he was waiting for it to finish booting so that he could get to solve Feng's issue, the next unexpected situation of the day arose - Areum's bug demonstrated itself probably more vividly than she could have described it.

"That sure is an... err... interesting bug," Glen stammered, eyes wide with surprise, as he took a step away from the advancing android. "So you have problems... directing your behaviour?"
If so, this could prove troublesome - after all, fixing the robots' problems required some amount of cooperation since they typically had to be deactivated for updates, but were autonomous units with no remote "off" switch. Of course, Glen could set of the emergency switch to call security, but the question was how long it would take for them to get here: Knowing the general reaction of staff to fire drills, even if the security personnel didn't take it for a false alarm, they wouldn't think it was anything serious - after all, weren't all robots in this lab designed to be peaceful? And then there was the problem that aggressive beings - robots and humans alike - usually didn't take well to being threatened in turn, so if the scientist were to hit the switch conspicuously, he might escalate the situation.

To Skye's question, he said, "Well, in theory I can, since this certainly is an issue in her programming, but..." Glen trailed off, leaving the obvious problem of deactivation unspoken. Clearing his throat, he addressed Areum again. "Do you think you could... deactivate yourself so that I can fix this, er, bug?" he asked in his best I-just-want-to-help-and-I'm-no-threat voice.

@ tags
@ everyone, really ^^;

BT looked at him for a long while. Then he said, "I think you have to do it. Try looking in the back of my chest. There should be a port for where you can access my systems personally. It is the blue outlined port." BT turned his arm backwards and pointed to where it was located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back