• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Minds Of Our Own~ A Robot's Self Discovery RP (ALWAYS OPEN!!)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
[div class="container"]
[div class="characterImage"] [div class="characterName humanName"] AREUM [/div] [div class="characterTitle humanTitle"] Cybernetic Organism[/div] [div class="characterName godName" style="display: none; color: #0B5394;"] The Alpha [/div] [div class="characterTitle godTitle" style="display: none; padding-right: 45px; padding-left: 0px; color: #0B5394;"] ἄλφα [/div] [div class="tagsContainer" style="display: none;"] Felis Felis Best Trekkie. Best Trekkie. Natural Flavour Natural Flavour Tonstad39 Tonstad39 [/div] [/div]​

[class=background] width: 100%; height: 725px; padding-top: 25px; background-color: #ECEBD4; [/class] [class=container] width: 500px; height: 700px; margin: auto; display: inline [/class] [class=characterName] color: White; font-family: Syncopate, Sans-Serif; font-size: 60px; font-weight: 900; text-align: center; padding: 70px 15px 0px; 15px; [/class] [class=characterTitle] color: White; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: center; margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 25px; [/class] [class=tagsContainer] width: 30%; background-color: #353530; padding: 15px; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-Serif; font-size: 10px; margin: auto; color: white; [/class] [class=characterImage] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403899215882/clearalpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class name=characterImage state=hover] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403567996928/bluralpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class=textContainer] width: 100%; height: 400px; font-family: Raleway, Sans-serif; overflow: hidden; display: inline-block; border-left: 6px solid #0B5394; box-sizing: border-box; [/class] [class=textChild] width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; padding: 0px 17px 0px 10px; display: inline-block; text-align: justify; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block; text-align: justify; margin-right: 15px; [/class] [script class=characterImage on=mouseenter] hide humanName hide humanTitle fadeIn 500 godName fadeIn 500 godTitle fadeIn 500 tagsContainer [/script] [script class=characterImage on=mouseleave] hide godName hide godTitle hide tagsContainer fadeIn 500 humanName fadeIn 500 humanTitle [/script]​
[/div]

[div class="container"]

"Hand-d-d-lers--" Her voice glitched, "Previous handlers were an unknown." She said, not exactly the full truth. She didn't recognize her handlers prior to her deactivation last time, Marcus and Gabrielle were in charge of her unit, but for some reason they've sent replacements. Disposable replacements, a perfect scapegoat for her untimely glitch. She should've known her tampering with her own codes would've sparked an inconsistency with the new programs. She should be more careful in the future.

Areum stopped mid-stride, limbs returning to their natural position as she relaxed. "Unit AREUM reports a minor problem within a program's subroutine installed by previous handlers." Areum droned monotonously. The other robots and the scientist appeared be fearful; as they should be, whispered a traitorous thought. The hulking mass of metal seemed disinterested, not like a mere pest like her would trouble the titan. But--the corner of AREUM's lips twitched-- It should be more wary of small pests like herself. It only took a missing 1 from line of 0's to crash a supercomputer, and she knew very well regarding the matter.

She tilted her head, "Behavioral patterns are not set. unit AREUM does not have an personality nor an emotion module. Systems running at 94.07 efficiency." The report flowed from her like a cascade of water, if it were any other human, she'd have doubt they would've been able to understand, but as it stood, the man was a supposed scientist, a step up from the mere handlers. "Query: Why is this unit brought here with them?" AREUM casually jerked her head at the collection of other bots. Her eyes narrowed for a second, analyzing the man for any deceptions.

[/div]

"I am not afraid of you because I know that you're programming cannot hook up with mine. I was designed to be independent. Oops there's a wire." BT tucks the frayed wire back into his body. "Anyways as I was saying." He turned to Areum and continued, "Only computers of my manufacturing date can interfere with my programming. Thus is the reason I am not wary of you."

Because Feng wasn’t being atended to, he shut off his cameras causing them to close. He could hear everything that was happening, but he was two busy browsing through his phone-like gui for anything to pass the time.

He had seen a few notifications on his Vid.io application, so he opened the app. Once the app was done buffering, he began searching for episodes of Galgun (A popular anime in the future). This was his favorite guilty pleasure as the show was rife with moe tropes from catgirls to colorful attire. He knew that this was stupid, but it fascinated him for some reason and because he lacked speakers, he can percieve the show without anyone else knowing.

Glen | Researcher
Despite the somewhat urgent situation of Areum's behaviour, Glen couldn't help but flinch every time he saw in what a state of disrepair BT was. Not only insects and spiders making their home in his parts, now wires are coming loose, too? he thought in disbelief. At least, BT's creators seemingly had added a good amount of redundancy, as the robot was still holding up very well despite these inconveniences.

Returning his focus to the glitching android, who seemed to have "calmed down" a little, the scientist started scratching his head in thoughts, going over possible causes for the problem. "Minor? Well, I suppose sometimes small issues in the code can wreck the whole program, he mumbled to himself. Louder, he said, "Alright, I'll look into it, so please connect to the terminal here, Areum. I'll see if there are some mismatched variables, that's the most likely problem if there were multiple people working on your code."
Glen tilted his head at the humanoid's second question. "Do you mean why you are in this lab now? Our department and a few others were working on several high-end robots such as yourself, and since you are all at an advanced stage, it was decided to bring you all together so you could get to know each other, and make it easier for both you and us to prepare you for living outside a laboratory."

He noticed that Feng had slightly turned away from the scene and realized that despite the fact that fixing Areum's bug was a small emergency, it was a bit rude that he had just passed the other robot over. "I'm sorry you have to wait after all, Feng," Glen apologized. "I'll try to hurry, I promise. The same goes for you, BT, of course," he reassured the two more mechanical androids.

It's always either too little to do or everything at once, the researcher sulked silently as he searched the computer folders for the one with Areum's code. A typical Monday.

@ tags

Feng’s show was interrupted by the scientist’s words, but siimply said “Good” before redirecting his focus back to the show hoping to ger hrough at least one episode.

Mentions: Felis Felis

"Thank you. Thank you very much." BT felt something wash over him. Was that a feeling? Surely not. "Don't worry I'll make repairs." BT said as his arm was swapped out for a wielder. He began to work on himself. "They don't mind if I'm a bit mechanical." BT pointed to another insect that disappeared beneath the torso cover. "Hey stop that tickles!"

SkyLine EM-002
Mentions: Felis Felis Maeteris Maeteris

After realizing Areum wasn't as dangerous as Skye had thought, the robot relaxed her grip on Eliza's arm. She cocked her head. "So everything will be alright, then?" That was good news. Skye then had another question. "When will we be allowed to explore the lab?"

Eliza | Robot
Eliza was by now pretty self-conscious about having been defensive towards BT in the beginning - he seemed pretty nice and had a good sense of humour.
Whatever had been the problem with Areum seemed to have been temporary, as she seemed back to her normal behaviour now. Feeling Skye loosening the grip on her arm, Eliza felt herself relax, too.

"I think they said we can go once there are no more bugs to be fixed?" she ventured, unsure if she remembered the message from the announcement correctly after having been distracted by the incident with Areum. "So my guess is once Dr. ...Bradford? finishes fixing Feng, Areum and BT."

@ tags

Feng—Android

Feng heard the name of the other Scientist, but caried on watching his show ‘at least these geeks will be able to service me’ he thought while shying away from opening his eyes.

[div class="container"]
[div class="characterImage"] [div class="characterName humanName"] AREUM [/div] [div class="characterTitle humanTitle"] Cybernetic Organism[/div] [div class="characterName godName" style="display: none; color: #0B5394;"] The Alpha [/div] [div class="characterTitle godTitle" style="display: none; padding-right: 45px; padding-left: 0px; color: #0B5394;"] ἄλφα [/div] [div class="tagsContainer" style="display: none;"] Felis Felis [/div] [/div]​

[class=background] width: 100%; height: 725px; padding-top: 25px; background-color: #ECEBD4; [/class] [class=container] width: 500px; height: 700px; margin: auto; display: inline [/class] [class=characterName] color: White; font-family: Syncopate, Sans-Serif; font-size: 60px; font-weight: 900; text-align: center; padding: 70px 15px 0px; 15px; [/class] [class=characterTitle] color: White; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: center; margin-top: -10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 25px; [/class] [class=tagsContainer] width: 30%; background-color: #353530; padding: 15px; font-family: Montserrat, Sans-Serif; font-size: 10px; margin: auto; color: white; [/class] [class=characterImage] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403899215882/clearalpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class name=characterImage state=hover] width: 500px; height: 250px; background: url(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/448301605146591233/448353403567996928/bluralpha.png) no-repeat center top; display: inline-block; background-clip: border-box; [/class] [class=textContainer] width: 100%; height: 400px; font-family: Raleway, Sans-serif; overflow: hidden; display: inline-block; border-left: 6px solid #0B5394; box-sizing: border-box; [/class] [class=textChild] width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; padding: 0px 17px 0px 10px; display: inline-block; text-align: justify; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block; text-align: justify; margin-right: 15px; [/class] [script class=characterImage on=mouseenter] hide humanName hide humanTitle fadeIn 500 godName fadeIn 500 godTitle fadeIn 500 tagsContainer [/script] [script class=characterImage on=mouseleave] hide godName hide godTitle hide tagsContainer fadeIn 500 humanName fadeIn 500 humanTitle [/script]​
[/div]

[div class="container"]

Areum chided itself for losing control, even for just a moment. It could've been all they needed to hard-reset her, and all the effort would've been for naught. Luckily, none of the scientists seem none the wiser except for Dr.Bradford, who was adamant on checking her systems. She obliged begrudgingly, walking over to the terminal and proceeded to connect herself to it via a cable to the back of her head. She turned her face to the Dr, "Released? We will be released?" Her programs were working in overdrive as the information was processed; release meant freedom, freedom meant she was free to complete her original programming on her own terms.

"Then I don't need to be checked for bugs. I am completely fine." She stated, staring at the scientist. "The faster this process is completed the faster I will be free." She continued, stating the painfully obvious as if it would quicken her road to freedom.

[/div]

Glen | Researcher
"Yes," Glen replied to Areum's question. Having worked with programs and robots who would need information repeated if there was only a slightly sloppy pronunciation or misspelling for so many years, he didn't grow impatient even when the androids in the lab missed or ignored the announcements by the head scientist. At least they'd be able to understand once they listened. "There was an announcement earlier today, but I think you were still asleep - well, not activated yet, to be precise - so I'll go over it again. It seems others need some clarification, too, anyway. Once I'm done fixing everyone's bugs - or once the team is done, in case BT's hardware needs more work -, you can go to the main part of the lab, where we've prepared a living community for you all. Think of it as a sort of flat share, if you will. This is so you can get used to a 'human', social lifestyle. From there you will start getting to know the 'real' world, meaning the world outside the laboratory, as well."

The scientist looked around the room. "Does that answer your question?" he asked nobody in particular, hoping that this time, the information would be clear for everyone.
"In any case," he then returned his attention to Areum and the subject of her bugs without waiting for an answer to his previous questions, "it's more of a relocation than a release, I'm afraid? Though there will be more activities open to you all there, and I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling confined here. As for your bugs - it's your call. I won't force you to have your code checked, and if you say it was only something temporary, well, you're the one experiencing it, so you probably know best. My offer still stands, though. If you change your mind, just tell me." Glen put on his best encouraging smile while feeling that odd mixture of relief that came from having less work and exasperation similar to dealing with children who didn't want to take their medicine because they disliked the taste.

Now let's finally get today's work done, he thought and went back to the computer terminal. Dismissing the window containing Areum's files, he navigated to the folder with Feng's programming instead and opened the source files that had been edited during the last update.
"Feng - sorry for the wait, but I can work on your bugs now," he called to the android. "Please connect to the terminal over here so I can send you the patch once I have it ready."

@ tags
Maeteris Maeteris , Tonstad39 Tonstad39 and everyone, I guess.

Feng—Android
At this point Feng paused his show before opening up his cameras before getting up off the maintainance table. Once he stood up,the squares moved further away. This caused Feng to stumble towards the terminal like an overserved Drunkard, He waivered his hand toward the back of his head before pressing down on a back panal. Said panal contained a USB-L cord and feng Gingerly passed it down to Glen “I can’t stand straight with all these squares in the way!” exclaimed Feng indignantly.

Felis Felis

Glen | ResearcherAccepting the USB cable from Feng, Glen used his free hand to navigate his office chair around himself and towards the android, facilitated by the fact that said chair had small, well turn-able wheels. "Of course, I see how that would be hard, I'm sorry," he responded to the robot's complaint. "Feel free to take a seat."
With that, he plugged Feng's cable into the computer terminal, then went to the next desk to fetch another chair for himself. Now that everything was set, the scientist finally got to start doing his actual work.

Sure enough, looking through Feng's last updated source files revealed some sloppily uncommented code in the sections for his visual sensors as well as some lines that had obviously been used for testing purposes, but hadn't been taken out in the finished work. Cleaning up the messy parts and commenting the unneeded functions and variables - he knew better than just to delete a colleague's work even if it was bad programming after having had several arguments with his coworkers about this topic -, Glen was soon done with editing and hit the button for recompiling the whole code. Since this would take a few moments, he decided to use the time to send a mail to the other researcher who had last worked on Feng's configurations and remind him to please keep track of what code sections he used for testing to avoid common problems with the program.

About a minute later, a quiet 'ding' from the IDE signified that compiling was finished, and Glen turned back to Feng. "Alright, I think this should have fixed the bug," he declared, then asked for confirmation, "So, is your visual input processed normally again now?" The scientist was pretty sure that it should be, but he could never exclude the possibility that someone had made a mistake on a deeper level than the issues he had now fixed.

@ tags

Feng—Android
Feng sat down in the chair before he was forced into sleep mode once he was plugged in. He opened his eyes to see a fairly plain room with other androids, He also noticed the absence of testing squares before turning towards Glen saying “Thank you for helping me.”

Glen | Researcher"You're welcome, I'm glad it's fixed," Glen replied, then turned towards the center of the room again, facing the other robots. "Again, sorry for the wait, everyone. Next up would be BT..." he trailed off as if talking to himself, while looking around trying to locate suitable maintenance equipment for the hardware of a rather mechanical android. The scientist soon spotted a small hydraulic platform surrounded by several toolboxes and more complex machinery - this would probably be the best setup for now.

He got up and started walking towards it, then called to the largest of the robots, "Would you follow me over here, please, BT? It's probably best to get rid of the, well, literal, living bugs before anything else." While waiting for a response, Glen used the time to ask, "Also, since some issues only show themselves quite a while after a reboot - is everyone else still feeling alright? Skye, Eliza, Areum, everything alright?" Usually, no news was good news, but it never hurt to ask. "Oh right, and I almost forgot - Feng, was there anything else beside the camera bug? I only looked at the code relevant for that issue, so please tell me if you notice any other problems."

@ tags

Feng—Android
Feng checked his parts by rubbing his fingers across his nude parts to see if there was still sensation “No, There isn’t any more problems.” said Feng the technician to leave him alone. Once he saw that efforts were focused on Behemoth and that his cameras were back online, he couldn’t help but stare at the guy.

Best Trekkie. Best Trekkie. Maeteris Maeteris

BT slowly clanked up to the input slot. Connecting himself up to the computer BT asked, "Be careful I don't want you messing with my core program. Last time that happened well... lets not go there... Long story short things started to... I guess you could say interfere?" BT's emotionless voice did surprisingly well at showing personal concern for his well being.

Glen | ResearcherThe researcher nodded to the large robot's statement. "Alright, I'll be careful," he assured the android. "Can you tell me what problems you are encountering specifically because of the bugs? It will help me find out where in the program to look for them."

While he was talking, Glen circled BT with a type of brush and dusted off the machinery parts of the robot that weren't covered by his metallic plating, thus taking care of the last of the insect bugs. After taking a good look at the robot's outer hardware, he added, "I think most of your physical parts look okay, at least from the outside and aside from the loose wires we saw earlier. I think I can fix these rather fast. Is there anything else that's broken? If it's something more complicated than replacing the cables, I'll call over a colleague who's more familiar with hardware than I am."

@ tags

"I feel as if there is another set of thoughts in my head. They tell me to kill everyone here. I know it sounds scary. It scares me too. But I don't know where it is coming from. It's just... There. It constantly tries to tell me that I was abandoned because I was useless. And now I am starting to think that it is correct. What if they abandoned me because I didn't suit their needs and wants? What if they built me just to see if it was possible to do so? What if my life is literally all a lie?" BT's code began to flash red. First it was almost unnoticeable. Then it happened every few minutes. Then every few seconds. Then it stopped. The code reverted back to it's blue color... and stayed that color.

Glen | ResearcherAs he listened to BT, Glen rubbed his head, thinking about the robots words. A whole other set of thoughts was a bit much to be called a 'bug', the researcher found. From what it sounded like, the large mechanical android wasn't suffering from sloppy programming, but a sort of existential crisis combined with doubts about his own self-worth.
The thought of leaving BT's code unchanged and calling in one of the lab's counselors (whom the employees could see if they needed) occurred to Glen, but he dismissed it. First of all, the counselor would be overwhelmed by facing a machine instead of a human, second, it was a bit rude for Glen to just decide on counseling for BT on his own, and lastly, wasn't he interpreting too much into the robot's words? I'm just starting to get overworked, the scientist told himself. I wish that was just a bug I could fix, too.

So instead Glen said, "That sounds like a complicated issue, so I'm not sure if I can fix it all today. But I'll take a look at it, and see if I can find out the cause at least, alright?" Then he added, "And if it means anything, I don't believe anyone considered you useless. There could have been a lot of reasons why you were deactivated for a while, and since I wasn't involved in it, I don't know what it was. But they didn't take you apart, so I don't think anyone wanted to get rid of you. It's quite possible they were waiting for technology to advance so they could give you improvements."
While talking, he reconnected the loose wires he had spotted earlier, taking care of the robot's visible hardware problems.

@ tags

PERSONALITY MODULE REBOOTED

"Why... thanks." BT's eye turned a new color. It went to green. "I feel overwhelmed by all these new things flooding my mind. Happiness is one of them!"

Glen | Researcher
"You're welcome, I'm glad you're feeling better now, Glen responded, then proceeded to take a deep breath and stretch his muscles. Now, in theory at least, everyone's bugs should have been taken care of, which meant that he'd get a break soon. It wasn't that the scientist hated his work, but at times where he had to do everything himself because all of his colleagues had taken the day off or had other things to do, it could get quite tiring - especially if he was looking for other people's mistakes in lines and lines of code.

"Alright, so how is everyone?" he asked the group of robots again. "If there are no more bugs, I think we can proceed to the next ...stage, for lack of a better word."
Trying not to sigh, he called out to the intercom. "Dr. Cadmus? How about it?" He half expected not to get an answer, but he'd just take it as a yes in that case.

@ tags

Users who are viewing this thread

Back