• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Million Dollar American Princesses

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
5908.jpg

Nicholas Edward Aldrich
When Nicholas gave his answer to the gent, it wasn’t what he was expecting at all. Nicholas now knew the gent as Douglas and the lady as Sophia. Nicholas was taken aback when Douglas showed him where the exit was. Even though Douglas was messing around with him, Nicholas had this odd feeling that Englishmen might not be his favorite type of people. When Sophia chided Douglas, telling him to be nice, Nicholas smiled. And then he laughed and put an arm around Douglas’ shoulders, hoping the Scott wouldn’t mind. “Well, you are quite right, and you certainly got me there. Honestly, I envy the common folk, sometimes I feel like they have more free will than I do. There’s so many rules and regulations that we must follow,” he states, commenting on when Douglas said about free will. Though Nicholas lived a life of luxury, there was a lot of pressure to uphold his family name and title. He was hoping that they didn’t think he was complaining too much. After all, he should be grateful, and he was, but sometimes he wished for a simpler life.

Nicholas shakes off the negative feelings, “I suppose you’re right, I am here for a reason. And yes, I am an English lord that is somehow supposed to charm a lady all in one night enough to convince her to marry me and bring her back to my house,” he says to answer Sophia’s question. He answers with a laugh, thinking it ridiculous standards. True love should take time, weeks, maybe even months. How was he supposed to woo a woman in one night? Especially enough to make them marry him. Nicholas realized that his arm was still around Douglas and he lets it drop, just in case he didn’t like the touch. “I’m the Hier to the Duke of Cambridge, if you want to be formal,” he says to Sophia. “But what brings you here, Douglas? Isn’t it the same thing that we are all here?” He says with another chuckle before taking a sip of his water.

Elekta Kount Elekta Kount FireMaiden FireMaiden

1527275015619.png

Alfred Granville

Capitan Granville was sitting by himself in one of the parlors when he saw an English lord that he thought he recognized. It was someone he met before. But he couldn’t place it. From the Army.. no. From Sandhurst… no. Then, it hit him. He fenced against ages ago when he was at Winchester College and this gentleman was a boy of fourteen and Granville was nearly an adult at eighteen.
Granville went over to talk to him. He said “Pardon me sir, but this might sound strange but I think that I fenced against you in the All Public School Fencing Contest. Did you fence for Eton or Harrow?” The gentlemen in fact had.

Captain Granville told that he fenced for Winchester College. He introduced himself and the gentleman turned out to be Lord Geoffrey Coventry. He is the heir to Earldom of Coventry. Granville then responded “I have heard good things about your family. Namely, that you are all accomplished equestrians. I share your passion for riding as well. It started when I was a child. My brother and I used to ride around and chase each other on our estate. At fourteen, I snuck on to Fox Hunts. I always thought that it was a good barometer of horsemanship ability because not only do you have to ride very quickly but you must jump all sorts of obstacles and fences. It lead me to my profession today.” Lord Geoffrey and Captain Granville talked about their horses. Granville told him about Hector his Irish Stallion that was 15 and ½ hands high and built for power. The Coventry heir proudly talked about his steed which was built for speed. Granville concluded conversation by saying, “I ride early in the morning four times a week so that I can stay sharp in case I get called up to active duty again. I invite you to come along with me.”

redroseknight redroseknight

b58b5159edc74dfe7a704cfc54c6c8af-png.442605

Douglas Ferguson Sutherland(-Leveson-Gower)
It was at the mention of envying the common folk did Douglas's face grow sour.
"Ainn't nothin' 'boot common folks that a nancy like you should be envyin' 'boot." Douglas scoffed, as he glared what seemed like daggers at the man next to him. "Poor pay, long hours, back breakin' work, an' if ye's die on da job, nobody's likely ta care...ye's a nobody!...tis a livin' ain't even fit fer a dog..."
Douglas
couldn't really help it, but it really did strike a nerve within him.
Unlike most noblemen, Douglas grew up in the literal dirt, and for the most part it was painful. There were even times in his childhood where he was forced into working in a factory...those days were the days that were seered into his memory perhaps for life.
Douglas probably would have been stuck those factories for the rest of his life if his father didn't find him.
This was part of the reasons why Douglas never liked attending aristocratic gatherings like this, it didn't take long before someone would decide to talk down on the common folk...and it usually didn't take long for Douglas's fist to get stuck in in their face.
But then again, very little people would knew that about him.
"Aye...sorry 'bout that, laddy, didn't mean ta git on ye like that...it has been a long day fer me...anywho..."
Douglas
said, bringing a free hand up to his face, then proceeded to rub it.
"...truth be told...you wouldn't catch me commin' ta a place like this willin'ly...see, I was tricked inta commin'....by some lads that I hesitate ta call me mates...but..."
Douglas's
s attention turned to Sophia, as he met her gaze, he smiled.
"....I'd like ta think that I found a reason ta stayin'...ye's could probably sey this thing is...growin' on me...an' its pretty too..."
FireMaiden FireMaiden Galaxy Bear Galaxy Bear

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg Nicholas' mention about envying the common folk seemed to strike a nerve with Sophia as well. Like Douglas, she was poor for many of her younger years in life, perhaos not as many as Douglas, and she didn't face the exact same hardships as he did, but single mothers were looked down upon. Her moths had to do countless hours of underpaid work all to avoid prostitution. Not to mention the out her countless hardships they faced. The grip on her glass tightened, "Douglas is right. You shouldn't even those people. Yes, you're right, they dont have to follow the rules, and regulations of our world. But do you ever remember a night where went hungry because you or your parents couldn't afford even stale bread? Or, watching the people you care drop dead because of a common illness they can't treat? Those people you envy suffer in ways you can't imagine because you've been lucky enough to be born in the upperclass," Sophia said, after Douglas had finished his little rant, before she took a sip of her drink, her gaze briefy turning away from the conversation. She let herself get angry, that wasn't good.

With a sigh, she turned back, "I apologize, I meant to hold my tounge." She had always been told to leave the debating to the men. Actually, she's been told to leave pretty much everything to the men, by most people. Her mother was as empowering as stern. Within A moment, the kind smile had returned to her face as she looked to the Englishmen. "Heir to the Duke of Cambridge? What an exciting life." Despite her smile, Sophia's tone held an underlying sharpness that, in spite of her apology, Nicholas has struck a nerve that did the exact opposite of his mission tonight.

However, she made eye contact with Douglas again, just as he was staying why he was here, causing her blush again, and look away, hiding a genuine smile behind her glass of punch.
Elekta Kount Elekta Kount Galaxy Bear Galaxy Bear

5908.jpg

Nicholas Edward Aldrich
His face has gone pale when he realized what he has done. Of course he did the one thing both of his parents had said not to do. He had offended these lovely people and he slowly takes a small step backwards. Nicholas felt awful, this was not a good start to hiss evening. He clears his throat gently, not sure how to fix this. He didnt want to seem like the stereotypical pompous Englishmen. This was a very bad impression and he wasn't sure if he could fix it. Even though after Sophia's retorts he could tell that she wasn't happy right now.

After a brief moment, he finally decides to speak. "I apologize greatly for I didn't mean to offend you both. Saying that I am envious of the lower class is the wrong word, that is not what I meant to say," Nicholas pauses once more. He wanted to make sure he had the right words so he did not further offend them. "I would like to say I understand the struggles of the lower class but I do not. I am not at all ungrateful for the life I've had nor do I look down at the lower class. I admired them. I suppose the correct words so is that I wish I could live like them so I could understand them better. There is a huge bridge between the lower and the upper class that I wish I could do more to close that gap," he tries his best to explain what he had meant, not wanting to offend them more.

Nicholas had to stop himself there, not wanting to get into a tangent, or make matters worse for him. There was a lot more he could and wanted to say but forced himself to stop there. Of course the upper class had it better off but Nicholas often didn't want it to be this way. All his life, he had servents running his life, and he was extremely grateful. But it made him feel lazy and useless, another reason why he insisted on having his bakery. When he was there, no one stopped to call him 'Lord' and diverted their gaze, it was simply Nick. That's what he really wanted, to feel connections with the common folk, instead of feeling like an outsider when he insisted on going into town by himself.

Nicholas didn't express any of this to his fellows but he did have something else to say. "No, mi'lady, I'm the only one that needs to apologize. You should be free to speak your mind," he says before closing his mouth shut. Of course this was a very unpopular opinion as well but Nicholas couldn't help it. He takes another sip of his water, this time out of nervousness. He wasn't sure if he should excuse himself or should try to regain their favor.

FireMaiden FireMaiden Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Last edited:
1527363345713.png

Alfred Granville

After driving the carriage into the ditch with poor Miss Rosaline Adler, Captain Granville thought that there might be some other tactics to utilize. Particularly, he should not be quite so aggressive. He reasoned that must get the families to like him first. Thus, he would have to be subtle. The problem though was, as his brother Harry had humorously pointed out in their youths, Alfred Granville is about as subtle as dropping a ten pound rock.

Gazing around, he spied one of the new wealthy families alone by themselves in one of the parlor rooms. The United States was churning out these nouveau riche families like the Findlays fairly regularly now. From what he knew, the Findlays had two residences. One was in New York while their second was a cottage in Newport, Rhode Island. Although he guessed the Newport “Cottages” were probably the size of the summer palace for the King of Portugal. They had made their money in factories, which Granville reasoned must be textiles. These New England factories were probably far more profitable than the textile mills in Manchester or Liverpool because of lower transportation costs for raw materials. Their daughter, Adelaide, was impishly cute with flowers in her hair, which reminded him of the girls at the Halford Midsummer festival. She, also, seemed to be a bundle of energy like young filly. Granville’s interest was piqued. In addition, Granville need to be more knowledgeable about the United States, a country that had the potential to become another great power.

Granville went over to introduce himself to Augustus Findlay, the industrialist. He said, “Excuse me, Mr. Findlay. I am Capitan Alfred Granville; I am the son of the Viscount of Halford. Could you introduce me to your family?” He went on, “I was stationed to India for quite some time. So, the news is fairly limited to seven week old copies of the Times of London and the information that the War Department decides to share with us. Thus, I am not as conversant about America as I should be. So, I have some questions for you, your wife and daughter, about your country and how the young democracy is handling the transition from an agrarian economy to an industrial one.” He then smiled to the older gentleman, “One of the tricks that I learned as a Capitan in the cavalry is that I would ask the same question to my lieutenants and see if I would get different answers back.”

SandraDeelightful SandraDeelightful

Douglas blew air out of his nose, as he crossed his arms, closing his eyes in the process to help calm himself.
Sure, what Nicolas said did make his tempers flare, but...he did sound genuine about that last part....plus, be bad to start trouble this early into the night.
"*Sigh* I cann't be sayin' ye's wrong aboot that, more then half of these nancys don't even know think aboot where their food comes from..." Douglas said, still keeping his eyes closed. "...Iz honest, the way ye's said, didn't make ye sound any less of pompous then the rest of this lot, but...cann't ye ain't as bad as the rest of the nancy...ye's half at least some measure of self-awareness..."
Douglas then opened his eyes and looked at Nicolas with a softer, yet stern, gaze.
"If ye's truly meant what ye's said, then I'm willin' ta forget about wot ye's says earlier...no point sullyin' the rest of the night wiv one word."
Douglas then shifted his gaze onto Sophia, raising an eyebrow... then taking a step towards her.
"What says it, hen? What says we'z forgive 'im an' move on wiv our night."

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg "Hmmm." Sophia was still upset with the man, but, with a sigh, she nodded. "Alright fine," She replied, "I guess...but Nicholas, do chose your words carefully in the future. You can never be sure how someone will react, and sharp words may not be the extent of what others may do. And that's not just for the topic of the underprivileged," she told him. It almost seemed to be a warning, but that bite from just moments earlier was gone. She was giving him advice now, and some he maybe would consider taking. With that, Sophia sighed, eyeballing her uncle who had now taken a seat not too far away from their little group. Now would be the perfect opportunity to leave her shawl thingy with him, as it was getting a but warm. "Excuse me gentlemen, I'll return shortly," She said with a smile, before she sat her drink down, and began making her way over to the her uncle.

Now, her uncle was an intemidating man by nature. He was unusually tall, broad-shouldered, and muscular due to his time on various ships. Yet, he was one of the kindest people Sophia had ever known. "Little bird! I was wondering when you'd come and see me tonight," He chuckled, his voice heavy with his Scottish accent.

She rolled her eyes, unclasping the button, before taking her shawl off. "Yes, well, quality time isn't what in after at the moment," She said, "I was wondering if you wouldn't mind holding onto this for a little bit. It's a not warm."

Her uncle gave her a smile, "I wouldn't mind at all," He said, as Sophia laid her shawl on the table next to him, before fixing her hair.

"Thank you! I'll see you later then," She said with a smile, before turning on her heel and returning to Douglas and Nicholas. Picking up her drink with a small smile, she glanced between the two men, "Sorry, shawls, or small cloak thingys get a but warm when you're inside."
Elekta Kount Elekta Kount Galaxy Bear Galaxy Bear

1527659209986.png

Alfred Granville

Granville looked longingly at the impishly cute young heiress from New York. Adelaide Findlay reminded him of his favorite quote from a children nursery book that he used to read to his younger cousins from Maurice Sendak, “I’ll eat you up; I love you so.” He was hopeful that he could talk to her family and to her. From there, it would come down to timing, chemistry and perhaps compatibility.

SandraDeelightful SandraDeelightful

Last edited:

"Iz know, me nan has at least five billion different colors of it, not to mention ever hen from here to Glazgow has one..." Douglas
chuckled, as he gave Sophia a side ways look. "...tell me, lassy, are yankie parties just as borin' or are they any more intreastin' then standin' aboot an' pretendin' ta be all nancy?"
Douglas
had took another step towards where Sophia was standing, shifting his shoulder to his side as he was beginning to stand next to her. Although, he still kept his eyes and a smile on her.

5908.jpg

Nicholas Edward Aldrich
He did feel a sense of relief whenever Sophia and Douglas were willing to forgive what he had said earlier. A part of him thought that he shouldn't care as much as to what others thought about him, but he knew that wasn't true in life. Even people that he just met, he already respected them, and he didn't want to leave a sour taste. He nods his head to Sophia, both to the advice she gave him, and to her leaving. He was bad with words, often struggling with expressing how he felt without upsetting anyone. Nicholas knew he also had different opinions then most. He knew that many in the upper class would look down upon the lower class, but Nicholas did not share this opinion with his fellows. At one point, he was even in love with someone from the lower class. It was his first love, back in his teen years, and they had dated for awhile in secret. He had even bought her a ring and was preparing to propose to her, that was until his father found out. Then his father paid the family handsomely to forget about his son and even move. That was the last he saw of the girl and Nicholas had moved on since. Nicholas had different views on women and children, and though he tried to keep it to himself, it often failed. He would speak out if he saw anyone being treated badly, regardless of age, sex, or color.

When Sophia had come back, he saw that she took off her shawl, or small cloak thingys, as Sophia called them. He had chuckled at the thought. "It was a nice shawl, though it did look warm. Was it real fur?" He asks Sophia politely before listening to Douglas ask about the types of parties. He was amused by Douglas, he could tell that this wasn't his type of thing, and knew he didn't think that well of the English gentlemen here. Thinking about Sophia's shawl made no sense to him. Nicholas looked down at his outfit, which was really only three pieces of clothing. It didn't make sense to him why women had to wear layers and layers of clothing, especially if coming to an event like this. With the dancing and the people and the alcohol, surely wouldn't they be hot under all those layers? Nicholas was a bit warm himself with only two layers for the upper half and one layer for the bottom half. It was all a bit too much. A part of him wished he would have gone into woman's fashion instead of cooking, since he enjoyed both, but felt like it wasn't appropriate for a man to make woman's clothing. Either way, he did feel bad for the dress, even if the dresses were lovely to look at. Elekta Kount Elekta Kount FireMaiden FireMaiden

mini_1.jpg

Rosaline Miriam Adler
As soon as Rosaline made it to the restrooms, she found a nearby chair and took a seat. She could feel herself coming back to earth as she took some deep breaths and focused on her shoes. When she looked up again, Margot was signing and Josephine was right near her face. Rosie gulped and her eyes widened as they met with green ones. The concerned look in Josephine's face made Rosie feel terrible. She hadn't meant to scare the poor woman. But it was a brief thought as she soon became lost in the green orbs. It wasn't until Margot waved her hand and signed again that Rosie came back to her senses. She cleared her throat and sat back in the chair.
"I have been to large parties but...I haven't been approached so...bluntly...I guess would be the right word." Rosie sighed and smiled. "Thank you for coming with me. In all truth it was you who i wished to speak to in the first place." Rosie knew she shouldn't be so honest, it was a dangerous game she was playing but she'd figure out a cover eventually.

redroseknight redroseknight

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1*1dQrBNvFIx_77HGmg61toQ.jpeg

Lyle James Montagu
Lyle chuckled as Ellanora told him not to be too hard on himself. She was too kind to think that the mess he called art could be loved by anyone. He had admitted to himself that they all looked like finger paintings a child would create and Lyle was okay with that fact. But he was interested to hear that she also dabbled in music. He'd have to hear her play sometime. He did truly like music and he wasn't terrible at it. But his sister Margaret was much better at than he was and he was quite discouraged when she surpassed him at such a young age. Lyle was then flored even more when Ellanora brought up the subject of science. His eyes lit up and he nodded as she mentioned space and he nodded vigorously. "Yes! I do wonder the same things! Space is so vast and mysterious! There has to be something up there!" Lyle followed her as she walked to a couple double doors leading to a garden. He smirked when he looked back. She was an interesting woman to say the least. This night was going much better than Lyle had planed.

sprouhtt sprouhtt

Josephine Coventry
1528351048375.png
She had beautiful eyes, Josephine noted as the American continued to stare into hers. Perhaps the poor girl was dazed. She wouldn't blame her if so; she had been quite the center of attention. When she began to sign again, she glanced toward Margot then smiled wryly. Bluntly, yes, that was certainly the term. "There is usually a bit more...subtly, I will grant, though not always. But a good fainting spell can end the worst of it," she winked. She recalled Margot saying as much, and she was once again rather confused. Why would she be looking to communicate with her, exactly? Not to be ungrateful, but she was quite certain it wouldn't be for any of the reasonings that she had been hoping for. She had thought it was due to being seen as a threat, but now that she had met Miss Adler, she was certain that wasn't the case. This woman did not seem to be quite so interested in the politics of the room. "You have my undivided attention, now. MIss Adler. Was there a matter that you wished to discuss? I can certainly give you the more colorful explanation of every soul in the room." The smile on her lips was quite impish, a brightness in her green eye promising that not all descriptions would be gracious or flattering. Josie wanted to keep this woman's attention, especially while she was able to have her all to her self. No doubt this wouldn't last long; she needed to make use of it while she could.

Jess Buck Jess Buck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back