• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Million Dollar American Princesses

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Ferdinand was taken aback by the English Lord and his extensive knowledge of brewery. (And his greeting in German) He was happy to answer the young lad's questions about the process and other sorts. When the subject of his daughter came up he chuckled. "Ah yes. Mine daughter Rosaline. She is here somevhere vis her translator Margot." Ferdinand's accent was thick. You could easily conclude he was a German. Raymond pointed over to Rosie and Margot with a redhead and another lord.
"Over there Papa." He said. Ferdinand smiled and nodded.
"Yes zere she is. Please, follow me." Ferdinand gestured for Granville to follow him in the direction of his daughter.

Pauly51 Pauly51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mini_1.jpg

Rosaline Miriam Adler
Rosie stifled a chuckle as the lord introduced himself. He was an interesting character to say the least. He fumbled over to words and was doing his best to impress, so Rosaline just smiled and nodded to him. "Pleased to make your acquaintance...Bingo?" Rosie couldn't help but giggle at the nickname. It was just so outrageous. She had never met anyone like this lord in New York or any of the other parties she had attended before. "I think this Bingo man will grow on me..." She thought to herself. Next to introduce was the redhead, or Josephine. A beautiful name for a beautiful woman. Rosie smiled and gave Josephine a nod as well. "It's a pleasure Lady Josephine." Rosie was about to continue speaking with the two when she saw her father approach. Her stomach lurched as he came closer. Her thoughts immediately went to the worst. "Why is he coming over here? What does he think of me talking to Josephine?" A million of these worse case senarios ran through her brain as he finally made his way over to the group.
"Hallo everyvon." He greeted, both speaking and signing. "I hope I am not interrupting anysing." He gestured to Granville "Rosaline, zis is Captain Alfred Granville. He vished to make your acquaintance." Rosie felt her heart finally return to her chest.
"Oh..." She smiled and gave him a polite nod of the head. "Pleased to meet you Captain Granville." She signed to him as Margot translated. "I hope you do not mind my round about way of communicating. I have been deaf for most of my life and this is the easiest way for me to speak with people." Rosie was starting to get a bit overwhelmed with all of the people around her. It was alright when it was just Josephine and Barnaby. But now her father and Granville were there as well. Not to mention Margot. (But Margot didn't really count; the two of them were practically attached at the hip during social events.) Rosaline did her best to keep her composure and not run and hide and embarrass herself and her entire family in front of so many lords and ladies of the court. Was it hot in here or was it just her?

redroseknight redroseknight Candlebell Candlebell

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1*1dQrBNvFIx_77HGmg61toQ.jpeg

Lyle James Montagu
Lyle could see the change in Ellanora's demeanor. She was quite obviously nervous about speaking of her family. But she admitted nonetheless she was mixed. Lyle wasn't surprised, in fact that's what he had expected. However he didn't expect her to be the bastard daughter of a house slave. It was then that he remembered that not long ago was slavery abolished in America. While he would admit that people were not kind to blacks in England, slavery had been abolished for quite some time now and minds were beginning to shift. However he could see this was not the case were Ellanora came from. He cleared his throat and nodded. "I see..." He said simply. He paused for a minute before continuing. "I apologize if I made you feel uncomfortable at all Milady. I was simply curious and it tends to get the better of me." He gave her a reassuring smile. "If it makes you feel better I am also mixed. Though I suppose my plight is not as harsh as yours. I still get quite the clout for being half-french in an English court. " He chuckled a bit. A footman passed by with a tray of drinks and he grabbed two from him. He handed her the glass with a smile. "Perhaps some spirits while we talk?" He suggested.

sprouhtt sprouhtt

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg She couldn't help but laugh as he went on, Sophia already finding this man charming despite his...well, his way with words. "Alright, alright, fine. Perhaps I am, but let me dream at least," she said, taking her drink once more, only to do ish it and out the empty glass back down. Stepping out infront of him, she curtised. "I am Sophia Wilson, third child of Nigel Wilson, head of Wilson textiles and Trade. It's a pleasure to meet you," She said, standing straight once again, giving him a warm smile. "Now, since I said I would answer... I'm not sure. I haven't had any boyfriends, or been presented to other suitors. So, only time will tell what intrigues me. But of course, as the lady, it's not quiet my decision to make, now is it?" Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

Arabelle Griggs
IMG_3577.JPG

Arabelle had her arm linked around her father's as they walked out to the carriage. Her dress was baby pink and lace with flowers. Her blonde hair was pulled back in an intricate updo, with a pink rose in her hair. She could not wipe the smile off her face as she leaned her head on her father's shoulder. Her father helped her into the carriage before getting in himself. He sat next to Arabelle and Arabelle once again leaned her head on his shoulder. He patted her shoulder affectionately. As the carriage began moving, Arabelle's smile widened and she curled her arms around her father's arm.

"You seem excited, darling" said her father.

"I am excited, Daddy," said Arabelle. "Did you really expect otherwise?"

Arabelle's father laughed in response.

"No, darling," said her father. "I can't say that I am."

Arabelle laughed and leaned up, kissing her father's cheek, making him laugh. Arabelle leaned back down and leaned her head on his shoulder once again.
Arabelle stayed quiet for the rest of the way, the smile never leaving her face and never looking less excited. She also stayed curled up next to her father's. He knew he was giving her the best chance he could by presenting her in London, and knowing that she would be more accepted if she had a titled husband. Arabelle could not wait until she met that titled husband. It would be like one of the fairy tales her father read to her when she was a little, just before she would go to bed. It was such a thrilling thought to actually be living one. She remembered how thrilled she was when her father told her that he would be presenting her in London and hopefully match her with a duke or a lord.

Arabelle let out a small squeal as the carriage came to a stop in front of the manor where the party was being held. Arabelle could not stop her smile from widening, once again making her father laugh. He opened the door and got out before helping her out. Arabelle once again linked arms with her father and the two of them began waling into the manor. Arabelle no longer leaned her head on her father's shoulder. It would not look right. Instead, she stood straight, holding her head, but not her nose, high, just as her governess had taught her to do.

She tried to calm her smile down to not look so excited. She barely managed to do so and replace it with her usual sweet and kind smile. Her father often told her that it matched her mother's, something that always made Arabelle's sweet smile widen.

Arabelle walked into the ballroom with her father, her excited smile coming back to her face. She could not stop it now, no matter how hard she tried. She stood off to the side watching couples dance. It was a thrilling sight, and Arabelle could not believe that she was here. It was hard to believe.

b58b5159edc74dfe7a704cfc54c6c8af-png.442605

Douglas Ferguson Sutherland(-Leveson-Gower)
"Well now, a pretty lassie like yeself won't have that much trouble gettin' attention, but, er..." Douglas viably turned his head to look around the room, before looking back at Sophia. "....ye sure ye want ta attract Englishmen? They're nothin' more then a bunch of daft, nancy, numpties wiv a large sense of entitlement. Ye be better off with a Scot like me."
Douglas proceeded to ball up his free hand in a fist and pounded his chest, smiling as he did, before gulping down the rest of his drink, before lowering his glass. Douglas wanted to whip his mouth with his sleeve, but he was currently in full dress, and he knew some commander or another would have a fit if Douglas were to sully his uniform.
"Least, I assume ye's here lookin' fer an Englishmen...why else would drive ye ta cross the entirety of da Atlantic?"
FireMaiden FireMaiden

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg "Oh please, you dont have to tell me," She chuckled, glancing around the room. "Forced smiles and empty compliments hidden by the promise of a loveless marriage and childern," She said with a sigh. Young, but not naive on what her future held, she'd be lucky to marry a man with a sense of decency. Looking back at Douglas with a small smirk, she pulled a handkerchief put of seemingly nowhere, and handed it to Douglas. It was embroidered, her initials on the corner. "You scots do have a charm about you, but you, Sir Douglas, have alcohol on your chin," Sophia paused again, "And, I said across the Atlantic because of the opportunity to marry into nobility. I don't remember if they specified if it had to be a pompous Englishmen." Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

5908.jpg

Nicholas Edward Aldrich
He could feel the sharp side of the razor against his chin and he was doing everything in his power to not think about the razor slicing into his throat. No matter what, he hated getting his facial hair shaved. But he promised his mum that he would get things 'cleaned up.' So before the grand ball started, he came to the barber shop to clean up the scruff that was happening outside of his usual mustache and goatee. Nicholas had to give the barber specific instructions. Naturally, he would have gone to his barber in his home town, but it was such a long journey, he had to do it here. With a stranger. But the locals had given the barber a good review so he just had to trust the man. Finally it was done and the man was cleaning up the shaving cream off his chin. Nicholas stood up and looked in the mirror, seeing that everything was fine, he thanked the man before paying him handsomely.

George, his butler, was waiting outside for him of the barber shop, already back from the errands Nicholas had him run for him. George was frowning when Nicholas came outside. "Are you done already?" He asks, a bit confused, and Nicholas chuckles. "I said I was going to get it cleaned up, not shaved off," Nicholas responds to George's question. "But the Lady--" George began once more, before being cut off by Nicholas, "doesn't have to know," he says with another laugh and a wink. "Come on George, lighten up. It's a big day, I'm allowed to have some fun," Nicholas smiled as George opened up the door of the carriage for him before going around the other side. He steps inside of the carriage and closes the door, waiting for George to join him. George was the only friend he got in London and he was going to make the most out of it. He had wanted to make this endeavor alone but his mother insisted on bringing someone with him so he brought his most trusted butler with him.

~~~~~~~~~
George was standing impatiently at the door. "Nicholas, we don't have all day," normally George was always polite with his superiors but since he knew Nicholas as a kid, he was informal with him when time called for it. "Alright, alright, I'm just finishing up," he was paying the man at the shop. He wanted to get a new top hat for the ball and had traded it for his old one. He pulls out his pocket watch and knew that the ball must have already started. "I'm only fashionable late George," he says with a laugh, which gets an eye-roll from George. But finally Nicholas was ready to go and they made their way to the ball. He could hear his mum scolding him but hopefully she would never heard of it. Both of his parents would have been appalled. After some time in the carriage ride, they had made it. George had helped Nicholas out of the carriage and was waiting outside now. "You look dashing, sir," George commented and for a moment Nicholas thought he saw the man tear up. Nicholas had to look away, feeling himself get emotional as well. This man was practically more of a father than he could ever say. "I'll come back with a beautiful bride," he says softly before walking into the ball. The place took his breath away but he felt unnerved, unsure of where to go or who to mingle with first.

"Aye, that would be my nightmare too, ta be married ta a bloody Englishmen."

Douglas put quite an emphasis on the word men, even pretending to shudder.
Then Sophia pulled out her handkerchief.
Crap, she noticed.
"Please, hen, just call me Douglas. Unlike most Englishmen, I donn't need no fancy title...least, not until me step-mum keels ova dead....thanke ye." Douglas said, gently taking Sophia's handkerchief, before wiping his mouth with it.
"So, I take it marryin' another yank would have sullied ye family name, eh?"
FireMaiden FireMaiden

1527120083650.png

Alfred Granville

Captain Granville nodded and said, “Ah yes, this makes sense.” He then smiled and said “When I was younger as a military courier, I picked up some sign language when trying to communicate with the Royal Artillery. So, I hope that I remembered this right.” He did a gesture similar to a military type salute which is sign language for “hi.” Then, he held is hand to his heart for “my.” Next, he extended index and middle fingers together on both hands and knocked the right hand fingers on left hand fingers twice for “name.” Last, he spelled Alfred Granville with his index finger. Then he turned to Margot and said “Could you translate this – I have arranged for the next selection that the band plays to be a waltz. If I might be so bold, I would ask that we might dance to it. It is repetitive and has a simple 1-2-3 rhythm with a down-up-up motion. If you look me in the eye and I can count 1-2-3 the whole song for the both of us like I was a novice. You would just have to read my lips and follow my lead. I know that it is a risk, but any mistake can easily be attributed to me. What do you think?” He then turned back to Miss Rosaline and shrugged his shoulders hopefully.

Jess Buck Jess Buck

945bb4cb4ee538fb3073d0153bf66455.jpg Ellanora flashed a smile at him when he apologized for making her uncomfortable. "It is quite alright, you were only curious. There is no need to apologize for asking a simple, yet obvious question." Ellanora told him softly as she met with his eyes once more. Ellanora was lost in them just a bit, she felt as if they told a story that she was dying to know. She loved a good mystery, and his eyes were a mystery to him. "A lot of people were curious of my origin, and yes I know I am a daughter to a house slave, but I am in no obligation to limit myself to the many resources in front of me." Ellanora stated with a calm yet bold voice.

Ellanora watched as the footman made his way past us, and before she could watch him walk away, Lyle took two drinks from him. Ellanora could not hold her alcohol. It all depended on the day, and when she is drunk it is quite a sight. Which is why she tends to not drink at all. Lyle had handed her her drink and she gently took it. When she took the drink him, her fingers touched with his and she began to feel a swarm of butterflies in her stomach. She cleared her throat as she felt her face turning red. "Often times when I tell a gentleman of my origins, he gives me a look as if I am a disgusting animal, or they just walk away and never speak to me again." Ellanora said to Lyle, but then gave a nervous chuckle to kind of lighten the mood. "L-lyle, I do want to thank you for not showing any negativity towards me because of where I am from and my race. I appreciate that very much," she tells him with a genuine smile. "So please do tell me about yourself, you seem like an interesting man." Ellanora added, but she soon became flustered when she began to recap what she said, "Sorry, I believe that came out wrong? I -I mean I think you...umm, well, you look like....never mind, let me stop talking ha haha." Ellanora said as she shut herself up.
Jess Buck Jess Buck

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg "No, I called you that because" The young woman began with a whisper, before an elegant voice intruded on their conversation.

"Sophia darling," Deliah called, comming up beside her daughter, putting a hand on her shoulder, "Me and your father are stepping out for a few minutes, but your uncle-" The older woman, who slightly resembled Sophia, finally noticed Douglas. A sweet smile spread across her face. "My my my, Sophia, who might this be?"

"Mother, allow me to introduce Sir Douglas Ferguson Sutherland Leveson Gower of Clan Sutherland and Clan Gower, heir to the Sutherland title, if i remeber correctly," Sophia replied, a small smirk and dramatic tone to her words, though avoiding her mother's eye, which had turned to give her caught an odd glare. "A member of the Scottish Nobility if you didn't catch all of that."

Her mother's odd glare turned to Douglas, then turned to a smile. "Well, it's a pleasure to meet you Sir Douglas. I suppose I'll leave you two to it. Have fun Darling," Deliah said, giving her daughter a smile, before walking away to join her husband again as they left the room.

Sophia watched for a moment, before her attention turned back to Douglas. "I apologize, my mother is very firm about using formalities," Sophia told him with a chuckle. "Anyway..." She had to think for a moment about what his last question was, and after a moment, it came back to her.

"No, marrying another yank wouldn't have sullied our name. But we're...out spots in the nobility or wealthy back home isn't guaranteed because we're considered new money. Marrying into a family who's been rich for longer than we have will make sure our status among them is safe, however, my sisters have already been married off, so I am the last hope for that security. Truly, nearly everything is planed and sent in motion for a specific reason." Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

5908.jpg

Nicholas Edward Aldrich
When he stepped into the place, it was absolutely gorgeous. Everything was wonderful here. Before he got into mingling, he wanted to look around the place, to appreciate it as much as he could in it's glory. He kept trying to remember of who was the lovely host of this party and even though he tried to go through his head of what his mother told him everything, he couldn't remember. There was so many things to remember, how to behave, what to say, and most importantly what not to say. His mother had known he still had a passion for baking and sewing and even though she didn't mind it, she had told him not to talk about those things. She had told him that he wanted to impress the ladies and the men there. Nicholas sighed, not really sure of the point of it all. But he wanted to make his mum happy so he would try his best to charm a lady to be his future wife. At least his father didn't hound him and they could agree on one thing: facial hair. His father thought it was important that a man had facial hair, for it proved as a sign of 'manliness.' Nicholas simply liked how it looked on him.

Nicholas had stuck to the edges of the place, thoroughly scoping out thee place and knowing where the restrooms would be as well as the dances. There were many with plates of either some type of snack or drinks, mostly alcoholic. Alcohol was not his choice of drink and even though he knew he should make an exception tonight, he refused. So he waited around and eventually someone was able to bring them a glass of water. He thanked them graciously and then went down to the beginning of the ball. There were a lot of people here, many lovely ladies, and quite a handful of handsome men here as well. Nicholas wasn't sure where to start with the people. There were so many groups and pairings of people. He didn't want to interrupt any of the people but hopefully he could make a nudge here and there. Perhaps he would move from group to group. That would be a nice thought, to have the chance to talk with everyone. He would start with the pretty lady that was with the Scotsmen. He walks over there slowly. "Good evening gent and lady," he says politely to them, tipping his top hat towards them.

FireMaiden FireMaiden and Elekta Kount Elekta Kount (I hope you don't mind)

Douglas
turned his head to the new female voice, and was taken aback a little at what he saw: An older Sophia, it seemed. Then Sophia introduced her as her mother, and everything started making sense again.
"Ma'am." Douglas said, with a bit of a nod, watching her interaction with Sophia with a raised eyebrow. After the exchange was over, Douglas watched the elderly walk away, before turning his attention back to Sophia with a questionable look.
"Well...that's all an' fine wiv ye mum, but ye'z ye, ye'z not ye mum, so don't feel like ye gotta call me by anythin' just 'cause we're in some nancy Englishmen party...."Douglas said, a smirk appearing on his face. "...Iz suprised that ye's were able ta remebers all that, took me a year or two before Iz myself could remember.*chuckles*"
Douglas
listened as Sophia talked about the so-called "new money" and "old money", Douglas couldn't help but laugh some more.
"So, this is the land of opportunity I've been hearin' so much about,eh? Sounds like ye lot building ye own wee l'il kingdom ova there, wiv hierachies an' everythin'" Douglas said, as he continued to chuckle."Ain't capitalism a grand thing?"
When Sophia brought up the thought of marrying into wealth, Douglas's chuckles died down a bit, and were replaced with a bit of scoffing
Douglas never took much of liking to this nobility courting thing. Even though for most of his life he was raised as a noblemen, Douglas remembered of a simpler time when all this strategic marriage nonsense was nonexistent to him. Douglas himself was lucky, as being the sole heir to his title, Douglas didn't much need to worry about competing for a title. Fact was, both of Douglas's father and step-mother were in Scotland at the moment, so he was currently in London more or less alone, and was without the pressure of marrying, unlike most of his colleagues.
"Where's the fun in that? Plannin' everthin' I mean? The only thing that makes borin' nancy feasts like this int'reastin' is when everything goes ta shite..." Douglas said, with a bit of a mischievous smile. "...'course, it starts wiv a bottle...and a pair of loose lips....*snickers*"
"Anywho...there's a wee bit ye oughta know about some of the English lads around 'ere..."
Douglas said, looking about the crowed again, before leaning in towards Sophia, bringing up a hand to his cheek, Douglas said. "...some of them 'aven't been "rich" fer quite a while *snickers* least, if they 'ave...well lets just say it ain't 'ard ta part with their money."
Suddenly, an Englishmen appeared.
"Evenin'..." Douglas said, raising an eyebrow "....Englishmen...wot brings ye 'ere this evenin'?"
Douglas wanted to say: Wot ye want? Ya silly English tit?, but the more sensible side of him decided to refrain from voicing his real thoughts. After all, he had no idea who this particular Englishmen was, and what he could or whom ever he'd whine to could do to Douglas.
FireMaiden FireMaiden Galaxy Bear Galaxy Bear

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg "I'm surprised I remembered it too," She chuckled, "And don't worry, I'm not gonna be calling you Sir Douglas unless my life depends on it. The formality doesn't seem to suit you," she told him with a warm smile. "Oh yes, quiet grand. Much like what I've seen here in London, we truly didn't learn much. The poor still go hungry, and the rich grow fat and throw these ridiculous parties with very tiny little finger foods. I can't do much to help though, but I can help the few people who helped me and my mother before my father claimed us," she said, before immdeiatly back pedaling, "W-What I meant was, i do what i can for those who can't help thenselves," She said, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear, before moving on.

"Speaking of tiny finger foods..." A server walked past, offering what looked to be just toasted bread with smoked fish and some sort of herb. Sophia took one, thanked the man, and ate it, before answering Douglas's next set of questions. "Well, that's the point, most of it isn't supposed to be fun. Especially if you're a girl. But lucky for me, I'm the youngest in my family, so I have a bit more freedom than anyone else did," Sophia told him with a wink. Before he caused her to laugh again with his next statement. However, it was cut short when an Englishman approached them. Out of respect, she curtsied, "Goodevening." Elekta Kount Elekta Kount Galaxy Bear Galaxy Bear

Sophia’s slip up didn’t escape Douglas, and as she ate and spoke, Douglas began to look at her with a side ways glance.
Douglas decide to be bold, probably stupid...but also bold.
Placing his empty wine glass onto a passing footman’s tray, Douglas sent the now free hand to find one of Sophia’s hand.
Once said hand did locate one of her hands, he gently guided it up, clasping his other hand ontop of hers. Douglas then leaned in towards her, to the point where his head was next to hers. Douglas, his mouth near her ears, whispered
“If it helps, hen...I know how it feels...”
Douglas then leaned back half way from his initial position to look directly at Sophia, with a genuine smile on his face, all the while he gently patted her hand.
Stepping back to his initial position, he let both his hands slide away from hers, placing both hands behind his back as he stood too.
Douglas’s gaze began to wander, but his smile was still present.
“So...London’s been gettin’ some nice weather...least fer what’s it worth...least it ain’t Glasgow...”

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg Douglas taking her hand was surprising, but...his hands were warm. She didn't try an pull away, but he continued to surprise her when he leaned down close to her ear, and whispered something that was oddly comforting. However, Sophia felt her face flush, and her heart skip a beat because of this charming Scottish man. When He pulled away, and smiled, she returned that smile with one of her own, only breaking eye contact and looking away when he did. But like Douglas, her smile remained. It was a pleasant surprise to have found someone like him here, and while technically, he wasn't the Englishmen her father was hoping for, Douglas seemed the type to play the role just as well. However, the daunting fact was how they would have to see how the remainder of the night went. But, she was little more hopeful than she was just a little while ago. Another server with drinks walked past, offering Sophia the last glass on his tray. She smiled, taking it (happy to find out it was a flavorful fruit punch instead of wine), as she let her thoughts wander for a few moments, before her attention turned back to the two men.
Elekta Kount Elekta Kount Galaxy Bear Galaxy Bear

Nicholas Edward Aldrich

What the scott asked of him was quite a simple question but Nicholas thought of it being difficult to answer. He knew what the proper answer was to find a bride to bring back home that would do honor to his family. His mom wanted someone that was beautiful but his father cared more about how much money her family could offer. And even though these were great things, they were materialistic. Of course the lady in front of him was beautiful but looking around, they were all lovely. Nicholas wanted someone with personality and who would keep him on his toes at all time. He wanted to find someone to hopefully share many adventures with.

Nicholas was broken out of his daydream when the Scott gets close to the lady and he take a small step back. He had no idea how well the two knew each other or if he was interrupting an intimate moment from earlier. He waits for them to break apart before stepping back in. He realized he still never answered the fellow's question. He still wasn't sure what to say. A part of him wanted to say that he was dragged here against his will to find someone but that wasn't the right answer. "To answer your question, I don't have a clue as to why I'm here," he says with a chuckle, deciding to go with the truth. "The name is Nicholas," he says to the lady and gent, holding his hand out to shake.

FireMaiden FireMaiden Elekta Kount Elekta Kount

methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fb3b7fc8f-6cce-446b-8541-eca44c354be3.jpg

Barnaby 'Bingo' Harrington
Barnaby had been surprised by the sudden and unexpected arrival of Alfred. The fellow was alright, if a little too stiff and dry in social situations. One had to wonder how he commanded a company of unwashed troops with that sort of demeanour, but Bingo had steadfastly avoided even a suggestion of military service and wasn’t about to start taking an interest now.

What was much more surprising and unexpected than Alfred was the arrival of Miss Adler’s father. Barnaby never got along with fathers, he just didn’t have the knack for it. Within a few minutes of conversation they’d get this grimace across their face that would be ever present any time they spoke with Barnaby. Surprisingly enough, he got on quite well with mothers, except his own. It wasn’t that he really wanted to impress Herr Adler, he just wanted to avoid the stress of having another old man to avoid for fear of lectures, lessons and threats of violence unless he ‘bloody-well-kept-his-eyes-to-himself’.

“I say, Freddie, what a splendid idea,” said Barnaby in an effort to hitch his fortunes to the nearest beacon of respectability. Yes, the man may have had all the social grace of a damp cloth, but Barnaby had it on pretty good authority that the family were absolutely drowning in debt, so those commissions he had were probably earned and not bought. Or at least offered at a very big discount. Competence counted for something, after all.

“Generosity of spirit, eh? Poor old Beethoven couldn’t enjoy his own music but that’s no reason Miss Adler shouldn’t enjoy it, dancing sounds like a fine way for her to experience it. Generosity of soul. As expected of you, Freddie, my good man. A grand idea. Beethoven wrote waltzes, right?” Barnaby babbled as he sidled next to the Captain and stood with legs apart and chest outthrust, as if to say, Look at me! Yes, I know this fine fellow! Why what must mean I’m quite the stoic and respectable gentleman too!

Of course, it only served to highlight the stark contrast between the polished military man Alfred and the feckless town clown Barnaby. He half wobbled on the balls of his feet as if about to stand on his tip toes, as if it was the Captain’s height that was somehow the impressive thing about him. He managed to reign himself in from going through with the act when he spotted the look of utter mortification on Margot’s face. The woman was wonderfully emotive for a translator. Maybe because she was a translator. Either way it checked his impulse.

He could see those first faint familiar smoulders of confusion in Herr Adler’s eyes. Soon it would be, ‘And who are you, young man?’ Which would no doubt be followed with the usual, ‘And what do you do for a living?’ Which of course would inevitably lead to the ‘What business do you have with my daughter, SIR?’

And it would be all downhill from there. Ah well, as they said, cowardice was the better part of valour. Or something to that effect, at any rate.

He coughed loudly, switching his attentions back to his recent saviour and benefactor, “Ah, Josi- Lady Josephine, perhaps you’d honour me with a spin around the dancefloor?”

redroseknight redroseknight Jess Buck Jess Buck Pauly51 Pauly51

Josephine Coventry
1527188624834.png
It took every ounce of control in the redhead's body to not growl or glower in a territorial manner. She shouldn't have been surprised that there would be others interested in this endlessly beautiful woman, but the redhead knew that a military man of Granville's esteem would be much more difficult to maneuver than dear Bingo. He had been tactically minded enough to go to the father first and then to isolate the lady through a suggestion of dance, a suggestion that made white hot jealousy burn in her veins. The man even had the gall to not greet her when he came over! Which, she decided to pounce upon in a minute show of her claws. While she was playful as a cat, it seemed that Henrietta had taught her a little more than she had thought about being as vicious as one.

"Good evening, most gracious sir. I have not had the pleasure of being introduced to you or your son." Her voice was soft and upbeat to match her brilliant smile, wonderfully hiding the true purpose of such words. It was a lord's place to make such introductions, so this was a subtle public shaming of the men in her company for having deigned not to do so. Honestly! A man of Granville's status should know better, she internally fumed. The lady who had wanted to just disappear earlier in the night now found herself ironically loathing being overlooked. "I am Lady Josephine, daughter of the Earl of Coventry," she greeted with a low curtsy, a warm smile offered to Herr Adler and Raymond.

Take a deep breath, Josie. You still have your wits, and Barnaby is a useful ally in this situation. Now, what would Henrietta do? I need to be more subtle than she, that woman is like a cannon at times rather than a weapon of finesse. Still, she is brilliant in court. She would point out his flaws, both to the girl and her father to make him seem less and less ideal. She would also point out any flaws that the lady has, but that is impossible since MIss Adler just doesn't have any.

Can I truly be this cruel? I toy with Bingo, yes, but it is never to the detriment of the poor dear. And it is purely out of affection for the bumbling man. Her gaze moved toward those blue eyes of Rosie's, feeling her will steel in her chest. Yes, yes I can. I will do what is necessary to at least give myself an opportunity to be in her presence while I am able. No doubt when she is married off to one of these lords, I shall only have the briefest of meetings with this woman. No opportunity can be wasted.

Her gaze shifted to the men around her, and she had to smile a little in genuine amusement. Poor Barnaby was trying to match the height of the military man, but he wasn't quite measuring up. It was only a little more insulting that Josephine herself was of even height as the lord. It had been one of the things that had proved a detriment to Geoffrey finding a match for his sister; no man wanted a bride who was taller than he no matter her graceful demeanor and poise

Showing that she was a cultured lady when it came to the arts, a fact that was not actually made known often, Lady Josephine released a playful laugh. "I believe you are speaking of the famed Gertrud's Traumwaltzer, which does not share any likeness at all to anything attributed to him. I personally prefer Tchaikovsky due to his emotional expressiveness." Music and art did not require reading from the young woman, so she had proved to be quite capable in her studies of them. Dance was something she had found most interesting since it was the only time her tutors did not seek to make her sit still.

Bingo's offer was received with a most gracious smile, and she inclined her head. "Of course, Lord Harrington, it would be the honor of any lady to be given such an invitation." Fine, she was really stretching it there to help talk the lord up in front of Herr Adler. Her gaze moved to the woman she was trying so hard to earn the attention of if she could just out play the gentlemen present. Concern formed when she noted how pale she looked. Using her eyes to get her silent inquiry across, she looked at Rosie then very pointedly looked at the powder room. Then she tilted her head slightly in inquiry. If need be, she could use men's assumptions of a woman's frail state to get Rosie some much needed air.

Candlebell Candlebell , Jess Buck Jess Buck , Pauly51 Pauly51

"To answer your question, I don't have a clue as to why I'm here,"
Douglas glanced over to Sophia, hoping to meet his gaze as he visibly raised an eyebrow and smirked, before looking back at the new comer.
"Douglas..." Douglas said, nodding and taking a hand from behind his back to receive the man's hand. Douglas's grip was firm, it was no doubt the grip of a military man, and gave an equally firm handshake, before retracting his hand back behind his back.
Douglas glanced over to Sophia, smirk still present, and if she looked, he would have winked at her before looking back at Nicolas.
"So, lad....if ye don't know why ye's 'ere...what's keepin' ya 'ere? Ye an' Englishmen, ain't ye's? Ye's got free will..." Douglas said, as he moved to the side of Nicolas and rested a hand on his shoulder, before using his other hand to point in the general direction of the entrance. "...an' there's the door, in case ye climbed in from the back, wiv an' entire English city ta just waitin', tis probably more intreastin' then this...whatever all of this..." The hand that was pointing at the door a second ago was now waving around in the air. "...is...."
Douglas
then startled chuckling lightheartedly, as he patted the new comer on the shoulder, looking at the man's face for a reaction.
Douglas was definitely trying to mess around with the Englishmen, they were just too easy!
Of course, he didn't mean for Nicolas to leave, buuut...he wasn't going to say anything...not yet.
"...now ye know where da exits are, ye's free ta leave...ain't nobody keepin' ye's 'ere..." Douglas said, grinning hard. "...unless...there's a reason that's keepin' ye's 'ere, eh?"

Last edited:
1527209067221.png

Alfred Granville

Alfred Granville noticed the Lady Josephine looking at Miss Adler in sort of an inquiring manner. But why?? He had thought that she was out to help Bingo, maybe the tall elegant lady would be helpful to him as well. Perhaps, he had been too bold and put the beautiful American heiress in awkward position, which was not his real intent. As his brother Harry had told him before it always best to be gracious in this type of situation. He turned to include Rosaline, Margot and the Adler men for what he was about to say, “Where are my manners? All of you must think that I was raised in a barn and not manor house. The lady who I know of but have not yet been introduced to is trying to get your attention. I surely would not want to monopolize the enchanting Miss Alder. Perhaps, we should include Lady Josephine of Coventry and Harrington here in our conversation.” Then he went on, “Normally, I would only want to be introduced to a lady by her father or brother. But for the sake of expediency, Harrington my good sir, could you introduce us?” He glanced again at Miss Rosaline’s beguiling blue eyes.

Jess Buck Jess Buck Candlebell Candlebell redroseknight redroseknight

mini_1.jpg

Rosaline Miriam Adler

Ferdinand and Raymond were taken aback by Granville's bold request. But the most shocked was Rosie. She had only just met the man and he was offering her to a dance. A dance with a deaf girl! Rosie hadn't danced in years. Not since leaving Germany when she was a child. The thought made her even more nervous then she already was. Margot was frantically trying to keep up with everyone's words as she translated for Rosaline. From what she could gather, Barnaby was trying to compete with Granville's....Granville-ness and Josephine introduced herself to Grandville and her family. Rosie was becoming overwhelmed with all of the fuss going on around her. She was beginning to regret coming to England in the first place. She cleared her throat loudly and began signing. "I apologize everyone but I'm afraid I must use the restroom. Margot, Lady Josephine, if you could join me please?" Rosaline gave everyone a polite nod and turned on her heels, making a beeline to the restrooms. She knew Margot would follow, but she hoped Josephine would too. She honestly just wanted to be alone with the woman anyway. That's what she wanted in the first place.

redroseknight redroseknight Candlebell Candlebell Pauly51 Pauly51

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f366f6646687467482d53694833413d3d2d3439343835383437322e313466366630336163343863366233303930313933353339313736312e6a7067

Lyle James Montagu
Lyle chuckled as Ellanora fumbled with her words. She was cute when she smiled. "No, interesting man makes me sound interesting." He joked. In all honesty he didn't think himself very interesting at all. He had many different hobbies that he would drop after a few months. Nothing really stuck with him except for maybe maths and science. He thought about her question while he took a sip of whatever drink it was he had grabbed from the footman. "About myself....Well to be completely honest with you I don't believe there is much very interesting about myself. Besides the fact I can speak french. But that is because my mother was French and her english was very poor." He paused as he thought some more. "I have quite the collection of hobbies. But I tend to drop them and move on to new ones every month or so. I did like music quite a lot. Along with painting. Though I was never good at painting. I made more of a mess than anything." He chuckled to himself. "What about you Miss. Vanderbilt? What sort of things do you get yourself up to across the pond?" He gave her a playful smirk as he took another sip of his drink.

sprouhtt sprouhtt

Sophia Wilson
5345829fbad8cb95b25fbb0c12aa51b5.jpg Sophia, still smiling, glanced up at Douglas, before letting her gaze go to the man across from them. "Sophia Wilson, it's a pleasure to meet you," She said with a slight nod. Douglas then continued speaking, allowing her to briefly turn away, sipping on her drink as she observed the room. Until, she heard Douglass hassling Nicholas. She hid a slight chuckle, "Oh be nice," She told Douglas. Looking to Nicholas she gave him a warm smile, "You're one of the English lords some of these American ladies are hoping to win over aren't you?"
Elekta Kount Elekta Kount Galaxy Bear Galaxy Bear

Josephine Coventry
1527218045313.png

Concern only deepened at what looked like panic in those blue eyes. Of course, this was likely a lot of people for her to try to understand all at once. Margot was miraculous for being able to keep up with so many threads of conversation, but it had to be confusing and overwhelming for Rosaline. Shelving her own personal agenda, the lady dipped into a curtsy then touched Bingo's hand. "Do save that dance for me, Lord Harrington."

Josephine followed the young American and her translator, offering soft smiles and nods to those that greeted her as she passed. She was a well-known fixture in the court, though she had always kept a bit of separation from those that were not her friends like Lady Constance and Lady Henrietta. It seemed as if almost all of the nobles in the English court, and a few in Scottish and Irish circles, knew at least of the tall, charming young woman. Her brother sometimes scoffed that she intimidated some of the lords, and she had to wonder if he wasn't correct in that estimation.

Once they had retreated into the powder room and away from the men who had been vying for her Rosie's attention, Josephine looked at the younger woman. "Take some deep breaths," she advised then pulled a seat closer for Rosie to sit on. "Here, you look pale, Miss Adler." The redhead's previous intentions and ambitions fell away in the face of her concern for the overwhelmed woman. "Is this your first time at an event of this scale?" she asked, sympathy in her green eyes.

Jess Buck Jess Buck , Candlebell Candlebell

945bb4cb4ee538fb3073d0153bf66455.jpg"Please do call me Ellanora," she told her nicely. Ellanora watched as he took a sip of his drink before he said anything else. She was shocked to hear that he tried to do every hobby he could, but when the time came, he never stook with it. Ellanora couldn't judge him either, she would often times do the same as well. But if she and him spend more time together in the future, maybe she could help him stick to a hobby that he really finds interesting. This was her set goal for him, and she did hope that their paths would cross.

"What you call a 'mess', can be worth something to someone out there. Never doubt yourself." Lyle seemed like he doubted himself a lot, which is what she used to do because others would often times put her down. "I love to paint as well, it is a way of releasing all the built up emotions that are inside and really allows your soul to spill all over the canvas, creating the deeper image." She told him as she began to think and get carried away about a painting that she had drawn for her grandmother. It was of a girl reaching out into the distance, she was surrounded by nothing but the flowers in the meadow. In the distance was a man on the other side of the field, reaching back to her. Ellanora believed it to be her best one yet.

"Well, 'across the pond' I find interest in playing the piano. But when I am not doing so, my tutor and I conduct very vigorous theories that relate to Science." Ellanora told him. She found the joy in discovering new things and being the first to hear about it as well. Ellanora wasn't only booksmarts, the girl had more to her then what meets the eye. "Do not ever wonder what is up there in space? Or whether we are the only ones in the whole galaxy?" She asked him as she began to start walking towards a great big double clear door that led to the garden out back. She hoped that Lyle was right behind her. When she looked back to see if he was following her, she saw him smirking towards her, Ellanora couldn't help but blush. This night was going better than she expected. Jess Buck Jess Buck

1527229966510.png

Alfred Granville

As the ladies went off in the direction of the powder room, Captain Granville said in a barely audible voice, “Yes, of course.” Crestfallen in realizing his mistaken, Granville went over to Herr Adler and Ferdinand and apologized. “Please offer my apologies to Miss Rosaline, I did not realize the awkward position that I put her in. It was not very considerate of me. Again, my aggressiveness has gotten the better of me.”
He looked now to Barnaby Harrington. “It appears that I have made a mash of things once again. But, this time I have not just sabotaged myself but I sunk your chances as well. So, I believe I owe you an apology as well, good sir. I would like to make it up to you. On Tuesday, please come over to my club for lunch. I insist.” Captain Granville took a sigh of relief to get that off his chest.

He then said, “I could use a drink.” He looked over to the footman and said, “Thompson, can you get us two of the good stuff.” A minute or two later, Thompson returns with two goblets of red wine. But to the outside observer, the wine glasses are of a different shape and the wine is a slightly different hue that are served to the other guests. Granville leans over to Harrington and tells him in a conspiratorial tone, “I think that you will find it quite bit more palatable than the wine the rest of the guests are drinking. We, Hussars have a stash here. It is a Bordeaux 1875. You see the several regiments of Hussars under the command of the Marquess of Londonerry, Granville points to the painting on the wall, captured the Rothschild chateau in the Battle of Toulouse. They left the building, furniture, and artwork as exactly they found it. However, the Hussars took the entire contents of the wine cellar with them. To avoid running afoul with the Duke of Wellington and the articles of war, they moved the loot here and stashed it. As the stash was consumed, cases were replaced by later generations of officers. Thus, we would never run out.” Granville offers Harrington his hand to shake and says, “No hard feelings huh.”

Jess Buck Jess Buck Candlebell Candlebell redroseknight redroseknight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back