• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern #𝗠𝗮𝗿𝗿𝘆𝗠𝗲 // Dystopian AI Matchmaking IC

Characters
Here
Other
Here
So the profile weren’t the whole truth. Ain’t that many people who did genuinely volunteer for the foodbank. It was a place for the homeless to get a bed, though as many still rather sleep rough than under the thumb. Organized religion aint have much place in this modern world, but cults still existed, and a few circulated the hydroponic farms, kitchens and messhalls. It weren’t a bad choice if you wanted to disappear. Even regulated, numbered and monitored as it was, a face could get lost in a sea of the unwanted and disgraced. It left Con with more questions than answers, none of ‘em forthcoming on Vixtor’s face. His hand in Con’s steady and warm.

Good time would tell. An’ good things come to those who wait. The hint of a smile fanned into his cheek. "Naw.” No Psycho. No angel. “Just little ol’ me." His thumb tracing the back of Vixtor’s hand. Warm eyes watching, every flicker on his face. Watching as Vixtor’s gaze fell with the vows from his lips.

Ain’t matter they were scripted by low and mighty affinity, it still meant some to him. Connor never truly dreamed he’d hear it said. Choice or no, Victors courage to stand here and hold his hand earned gratitude and respect. His breath deep, he followed Vix’ lead. “I, Connor Grant, take you, Vixtor, to be my husband.” But that weren’t enough. It didn’t feel like enough. Gazing at a strangers face, and promising to be his partner for life-

The door opened, someone interrupting late. He hardly glanced at the woman who entered, a flick up and down before he focused on Vix. Taking the smallest step closer, the space between them shrunk, voice dropped to a whisper. No listener but him, Vix and God above. “Look at me.” An appeal, no demand. Lifting their hands closer to hearts. His inhale a soft brace for all he was about to say. “I threw my coin into a wishing well, and wished for a soul to share this world.” And this was where God had sent him. “And I prayed that I will be the man that soul would need.” Whatever Vix was buried in, it could not rattle him. “Can I be good and true and stand by your side? Can I be your ever-lasting light?” A smile creeping into his voice. He knew the cheese he was hamming, fuck if it weren’t making him blush, but that ain’t make it any less true. Ignoring the woman announcing the reception. As far as he cared, it was just them two. “Can I be your warrior, the one to take care of you? To keep you safe and warm at night… My lonely heart’s bin’ waiting, I pray to God, my waitins through.”

Upon entering the marry me facility she saw a large group of people shuffling to a long table full of food, wedding cake, and drinks. She must have missed the actual ceremony. Thank god. She reflected internally. She wasn't looking to profess her commitment to a total stranger. She spotter Anya but remembered the goal. Look clueless.

Tara met eyes when Anya checked her out but it seemed as quick as their eyes met Anya looked away. She walked forward counting the numbers. An odd amount, which meant someone else didn't have their match currently there.

She finally walked up to the table her heels clacking under her. "Um the woman out there said I need to find an Anya ClĂŠment?" She asked looking over the girls who were present. Her eyes did stop on Vida and her China blue tattoos. They were stunning she couldn't help but note. "I um...am her match sorry I'm fashionably late " she told them. Tara definitely knew how to play dumb well so it all came off genuine.

There was something incredibly chilling about hearing your future spouse call out your name, only to turn around and find her eyeing up another woman. Anya’s eyes flickered back to the woman with the tattoos, appreciating her beauty but uncomfortably aware of how physically different they were. So that was her type? Great. They were polar opposites. She almost didn’t want to step forward with the knowledge she was already at a loss, her inadequacy plain to see, but there wasn’t much else she could do.

“I’ll be back.” With a quick, apologetic glance at Sona, a surprising companion amidst all the chaos, Anya awkwardly edged towards the newcomer.

“I’m Anya.” And she found that she didn’t have anything else to say. What did you say when your partner was too busy to go on your first date, and conveniently happened to miss the actual wedding ceremony but not the after-party? The woman seemed innocent enough, but Anya knew first hand that people were not always what they initially seemed; hell, she’d been presenting a fabricated version of herself for almost as long as she could remember. Almost. She needed to stay on her guard.

“And you’re my…you’re my match? They said you wouldn’t be here, so I…wasn’t expecting you.” Anya paused a couple of paces before the woman, using the opportunity to properly take her in. While Anya was all doe-eyed and whimsical, the woman before her seemed a lot sharper, soft in all the right places but exhibiting a calm collectedness Anya could only dream of. On the surface at least, she appeared to be what Anya had always wanted, just like Sona had barely moments before. Surely it couldn’t be that easy…could it?

Screenshot_20221025_090218_com.android.gallery3d.png

Chad Burton

Chad hooked his thick biceps around narrow shoulders and dragged Vivian away from the pedestal, toward the opulent food stand. His watchful gaze swept the people on their left and right. Noticing one of the happily-not-married girls excusing herself to greet the newcomer, he glanced at Sona. "That must suck."

Turning his attention to the cake he exposed his collection of pearly teeth. "There we go." He let go of his spouse once they stopped by the table and not giving much thought to the occasion or the consequences of his actions he pushed his splayed fingers into the side of the cake.

He snatched a big chunk before wheeling around to face his new partner. Never stopping. He just shoved his hand under Vivian's nose, to feed them with the pink gateau he was holding.

"Don't forget to swallow." He added insult to injury. Looking perfectly dismissive of how others stared at them, probably judging his vulgar antics.

Tara had to admit mentally that Anya was indeed attractive. However she had to put those thoughts aside. She had an objective. "I got here earlier than expected. An earlier flight opened. I apologize I had to miss a lot. A family member unfortunately passed away."

"Hopefully I can make it up to you"
she said with a soft smile. "Maybe talk over some food, and cake." She looked over where the cake had been sitting. Though some man who looked roided up was sticking his hand strait into the cake force feeding a much smaller femine appearing man. "Er maybe skip the cake" she shook her head. There was a a few reasons she didn't date men and men liked the tattooed meathead were one.

Last edited:
Vida had stepped back from the kiss wide eyed, equally as shocked with herself as her now-husband likely was. Stephen did look a bit taken aback, but he had recovered and kissed her back quickly. She stared into his eyes for a couple of heartbeats, cheeks flushed, then quickly looked away. Oh my god, that might have been too much, she worried. She could barely bring herself to look at Stephen now, too embarrassed to gauge his reaction to her assault. Instead Vida glanced at the other couples and busied herself with taking in their faces and their tuxedos and their gowns.

The rest of the vows felt like they took forever with the young blonde still heated about the kiss she'd just given Stephen. And the fact everybody else had watched her do it. She wanted to melt into the floor. She understood that this was a wedding ceremony, and intimacy like that was normal and expected of her, but she still couldn't shake the unease of doing something like that so quickly, and with an audience no less. Speaking of her audience, Vida's gaze caught on one of the couples down the line. A silver fox, older but still very attractive, and - and Carlos. Oh my god, Carlos was here. Flashes of one night stand flickered through her mind and Vida fought to keep her face neutral, praying that her cheeks weren't reddening once again. What were the odds that one of her only flings was getting married on the same day at he same time as her? She had basically ghosted the poor man after their little tryst, and she was really, really hoping he wouldn't recognize her after the ceremony. Deep in her thoughts, Vida almost missed the two newcomers and that horrible awkward encounter where the officiant let them know that they were not in fact marrying each other, only present to represent their consecutive marriages to their two missing spouses. Vida quickly looked away from Carlos, wincing in sympathy for the lone women as the ceremony ended and the officiant too-enthusiastically moved them on to the reception.

Still unable to meet Stephen's eyes and wanting to keep her back to Carlos for as long as she could, Vida turned to survey the room. It was empty aside from the gaudy decorations and the table of food with the massive, decorated wedding cake. No other people but the handful of couples who were here to tie the knot. "How lonely," she murmured, half to herself, half to Stephen. "Though in truth, I'm not sure who I would have invited anyways." The other girls at the bar were friends of circumstance, but she had never gone out with them outside of work despite tending to the drinks there for the last 5 years. The nerves in her stomach went still as she stared blankly at the chairs empty of people to congratulate her and wish her luck. The great doors opened again, shaking her out of her trance, and Vida turned her eyes to the third newcomer who entered, a woman in a nicely tailored red velvet suit. The match to one of the poor girls who had stepped in alone earlier. Their eyes met briefly across the room before Vida turned to face the handsome man at her side.

"I'm sorry," she apologized, cheeks flushing. Again. I am so tired of this blush. "I don't mean to be such a downer during what's supposed to be a happy occasion." Vida's cheeks turned even redder as she hesitated before adding, "And I'm sorry about the - uh - the kiss, that might have been too much," she dropped her gaze in embarrassment once more.

As Connor parroted the typical vows back to him, Vix could feel a small smile forming on his face. That’s right, no matter how absurd or inane this twenty-second century ritual was, it was predictable. Rote, even. Aside from a few late attendees and the fact they didn’t have a flower girl skipping down the aisle, nothing in the wedding vows were anything he hadn’t heard of before.

Then of course, his husband had to keep talking.

Why couldn’t the state-sponsored dialogue be enough? Were they even allowed to write their vows, in the manner of the celebrities and insufferable louts of the ancient 2000s? Despite avoiding direct eye contact, Vix relented and looked right into the other’s earnest eyes when prompted. He opened his mouth to say something, maybe snark, or play along with who he was supposed to be and praise god-uncle Sam or whoever decorated the halls of their capital, but was silenced by the larger man’s imagery of wishing wells, souls, and other fancies. The volunteer’s heart raced as his appointed soldier closed the gaps between them, and he hoped the other couldn’t feel the rhythm through their suits.

It wasn’t the words that caused Vix’s anxious expression to crack, not the cheesy promises that couldn’t be kept or the longing and wishing for someone to love. It was the way Connor said it, the way his cheeks reddened and he smiled in spite of himself, not tripping over a single romantic whimsy. Either he was the best spy in the entire world, or he was genuine about wanting someone to spend the rest of his life with. To share the world with, was that it?

And what kind of world was that, the former chemist wanted to return, the kind where the water teemed with reagents and children died in their sleep?

He couldn’t help but smirk a bit, wanting to tell the other it was a good thing that at least one of them had a grip on romance or decency, for that matter. It was short lived, though, because Connor was making himself impossible to ignore. Just his luck.

When the man finished, Vix stood there in stunned silence, lips parted, no longer expecting a quick and chaste wedding kiss. This could have been so easy. If only he was someone else. “It would be so easy to just melt in your arms, and let the rest of the world disappear.” Yes, it would.

…

Wait, did he just say that dumb shit out loud? Ugh. Now he couldn’t hide the fierce blush that spread across his cheeks, surely due to how embarrassing and desperate he probably sounded. Longing was fine on handsome, strapping guys like Connor or the other fine folks in the wedding lineup, but Vix knew he was about as romantic as a casket.

Didn’t Connor deserve more than what he’d said? Than what he could. “I wouldn’t want you to be hurt,” he whispered, inching ever closer as the others finished their vows. “Warriors get killed, you know. And all of this,” he gently traced over the other’s suited arm with his free hand, “wouldn’t be very threatening against actual danger.” He kept his gaze steady, a dark gleam in his eye. “But maybe I should promise to keep you safe, too. If I could.” With that, Vix leaned forward to seal their marriage, not entirely sure he was marrying Connor or a spy, but slowly finding himself… ready to deal… with either option.

When the reception came, Vix floated like a sleepwalker, not fully anchoring on any of the people around them, and wanting to get through the event without drawing any attention to himself. That was hard to do when he’d decided to stand by the wedding cake just as a pair of (unfortunately) familiar faces decided to make a mess of the whole thing. Well really it was just the one dude. The other, Vix felt sorry for more than anything else, idly wondering if it would have been better to deal with spies then the tattooed meathead.

Still, he couldn’t hold it in when Chad took a big handful of the cake and pretty much jammed it into his fiancé’s face, before hitting his own chest a bit to stop the burst of laughter. Aw shit, the first thing to snap him out of his stupor and it was something ridiculous. Great. Laughing the way he did probably made him look like a giant asshole, but it wasn’t like he was ever gonna see these people again. Unless they wanted to stop by the food bank, but the they didn’t seem the sort.

Well, it mattered what his husband thought of him, most likely. Shit. Maybe he just needed to cool off by splashing some water in his face or something. Either way, Vix hurried away from the main reception before he could ask any of the MarryMe attendants if the foods were plant or animal-based.

Last edited:
And just like that, it was over. Another woman had appeared as Sona and Anya made their way to the reception hall, and the latter went to join the stranger, and Sona was alone once more. She gave a wistful look to Anya and her red-clad, real spouse; well, this served nothing more than to confirm that computers had no business pairing people up together. She let her eyes sweep over the hall, briefly; everyone else was paired up now. And, of course, they were all going to be too busy getting to know their own spouses- at least with Anya also being stood up, the pair of them could have passed the evening together.

The lonely bride made her way to a table and sat down rather unceremoniously. Given that this was a mass, state run wedding, Sona assumed that the other couples had been given the same schedule she had: one half hour date, and now their wedding. It was no wonder that there weren't any guests invited when the happy couples still needed to get to know each other- this wedding itself was likely intended more for that than anything else. Strangers, paired up, and forced to lean on each other. A trust building exercise under suits and white dresses.

Her stupid dress didn't even have pockets. It was fine to not have her phone during the "ceremony", but now that they had their government mandated free time? Now that everyone was getting to know who they'd be sharing the rest of their lives with? Now that Anya's wife had shown up? Now, Sona was bored, with nothing to do but settle back and start people watching. She could at least live vicariously through them.

A family member had passed? Instantly Anya’s mannerisms changed, her shoulders losing their initial tension and her eyes softening with empathy. She took a step closer to her match, closing the distance so their conversation would be private rather than a spectacle for the other couples, even though it was likey too late for that.

“I - I didn’t realise. They said you were on a business trip.” Her teeth nipped at her bottom lip, a nervous habit, and too late she remembered the red lipstick she had smeared on at the last minute before leaving her apartment. Red for rebellion. Thank god she’d chosen matte, at least.

“I’m so sorry, that’s…really sad to hear. Are you okay?” Anya paused, realising the woman hadn’t yet introduced herself. Not that she’d exactly given her a chance, not with her stream of blubbering. “Sorry, I don’t think I caught your name…? Perhaps we-“ Her eyes darted to the man digging his fingers into the cake, making her grimace. “Oh, uh…well at least there’s champagne?” Alcohol could only make the situation better, surely?

Vivian’s entire world feels like a massive wall of light. They couldn’t remember exactly when they entered into the… wherever they happened to be. Nothing could get past the impression of an LED screen on full brightness being inches away from her face.

They were familiar with this sensation. It was oddly comforting; The absolute absence of everything around them made it easy to go along with whatever was occurring, because their senses would not be present to object.

They don’t register Chad pulling them along; They don’t see the leering eyes nor feel the ceremonial kiss. They are at peace with watching the dim lines of color that split off from the blood vessels behind their corneas. They love to be in the middle of nothing, where all they have to watch for is their own electrical activity.

Something collides with their mouth. It is soft, shapeless. They initially feel as though it’s landing made quite an impact, but the feeling fades so quickly that they doubt their perception of the experience.

The bright light dims; A washed-out impression of their newlywed forms in front of them.

Their head moves slowly to regard Chad. Their jaw is hung ajar from shock, though they can’t tell what expression they are making.
A slender hand moves to their cheek and swabs the substance. Their fingertips move into their field of view. They acknowledge the smears of chalky pink.

They look back at Chad; Their eyes are uncannily large and not depicting much emotion, their jaw still hanging off of their head. They are in a complete daze.

With little strength and no words, she reaches over to wipe off the frosting on Chad’s face; The movement is surprisingly not confrontational, but exploratory. They wonder briefly if this is simply how Chad socialized.

“Did you do that?” Her voice is hoarse, as though many of the muscles that are meant to pick up her vocal chords are insisting upon remaining slack. The question is not fueled by anger, but curiosity, genuine confusion… Yet, a spark of entertainment.

Though they felt themself to be on another planet, next to a stranger, they feel a simultaneous sense of repulsion and intrigue.

Watching the other ceremonies disinterested Stephen. His mind still wrapping around the kiss at the alter. What was Vida's intentions here? He hoped it wouldn't lead to her to being some awful tease. Nothing worse than blue balls.

When the two women who entered late approached the alter but shortly after got corrected that they weren't matches his attention got diverted. Another mistake? It made him nearly sick to his stomach. The very government agency that wanted to employee his services having such hiccups deeply concerned him.

When it was all said and done they were lead to an overly large reception hall. He heard Vida's comment but had nothing to say. Not like he would really invite anyone to his wedding. His first had been a Vegas wedding anyways. He noticed another woman enter seeming to looking for someone. Once the new stranger said a name one of the girls from the alter mishap stepped forward. His attention turned away disinterested.

He couldn't help but notice the tattooed muscle head manhandled his groom and force feeding him. Glad he had no interested in the cake. Though all the wine and other spirits to help lighten the mood. He quickly reached for champagne figuring that could do the trick. He quickly took some down before Vida spoke up again. This time with an apology and a blush on her face. Make that two apologies. "The kiss certainly was a suprise since you dodged my first kiss. Even I wasn't going in for that kind of kiss on our first date....if you want to call it that" he said bluntly. Though her wording made him feel she regretted the choice to kiss him at all. So he finished off the glass of champagne. "I'm guessing you saw my profile....as I saw yours...." he commented. "Just so you know the divorced was finalized so our marriage is legitimate.....I was serious when I said I was blunt. " He admitted and it would only get worse as he drank more.

"I'm not sure why they told you that....maybe out of respect for me...." she said. Her rebel crew knew the dead family member excuse would work. She watched as Anya suddenly seemed nervous. Tara thought was cool and collected. "It was my grandma who passed...um I wasn't super close to her so I'm alright." She nodded a bit. That was all true. Her grandma indeed dead, though that woman had passed a few years back. They hadn't been close ever since Tara came out as lesbian.

Right name she had forgotten to introduce herself. "Tara is my name" she told her. "Champagne sounds great" Tara said more than willing to have some liquid courage to help the night move along. She headed over to grab two glasses giving one to Anya. "Your dress is stunning on you. I've gotten lucky with such a beautiful bride." She said having no issues with casual flirtation. Even if it meant nothing, because she had to keep her goal in mind.

Vida winced as Stephen mentioned her kiss-avoidance from only a few days ago. Yeah that's gotta be confusing. She looked up at him with wide blue eyes as he continued, talking about his divorce. He didn't seem to want to even look at her, instead opting to watch the couples around them. With a sick twist of guilt, she thought about all the mixed signals she was probably firing off. This was not going well. She was not doing well. That feeling of needing to puke returned. "I'm not worried about that. Or, I am - no, maybe? Ugh." Vida pressed a hand to her face, trying to get her thoughts in order.

Blunt. Stephen was blunt. She needed to be blunt too, because tiptoeing around boundaries that hadn't yet been set wasn't going to help either of them. They needed to have a serious conversation to figure out where they stood as husband and wife - god, husband - if this relationship was going to have any chance of success. But Vida wasn't that type of person, at least not sober. She itched to ask about his past relationship, why it had ended in divorce, but felt like it was probably too soon. Or was it too soon? They were married already, so maybe there wasn't really a reason to hold back.

Vida's nerves hopped up a notch at the daunting thought of creating a successful and flourishing relationship with this man who she did not know. About how she hadn't had a choice in the matter and now things were already finalized and there was no turning back. About how much her life was changing so quickly, in ways she wasn't even aware of yet. With a jolt, Vida realized she wasn't even sure where she was expected to live after this reception. What was going to happen to her little studio that she had worked so damn hard for? She doubted Mr. Gucci Armani here was gonna wanna move into her tiny 600 square feet apartment with her. His closet was probably as big as her whole apartment, judging by obvious financial status.

Tighter and tighter her nerves wound, around and around, the thoughts in her head never ending. "Fuck." She finally snapped at herself, whirling away and grabbing a glass of champagne off the table. She chugged it, grimacing at the bubbly burn. Setting the empty glass down, she grabbed a second one and chugged that too. She held the glass up, glaring at it. "Don't they have anything stronger than this?" She mumbled to herself, debating if she should grab a third. She hated drinking. Hated the taste, hated how it made her feel - first out of control then sick - but she knew there was no way she was going to get through this reception without a little bit of liquid courage. Or a lot.

He tugged at the cufflinks on his shirt. His best man reaching a hand to his back with the swell of classical violin. A soft breeze cooling nervous sweat on his skin.

Then there she was. Alone on the grassy aisle. And she took his breath away. An angel in cascades of soft while lace, her hair filled with a bouquet of wildflowers. Tugging a sudden sting to the corners of his blue eyes. Beautiful.

Carlos stood out amongst the crowd of glamorously dressed men and women. Not just for the faint creases in his rain damp clothes, but for the uniform. Sharp cut lines of formal dress that Hank understood to be saved for parade and those other occasions. Like a funeral. LEO insignia unmistakable and the natural confidence in the way he moved an uneasy reminder that did nothing to settle the thud of Hank’s pulse.

This was the man he was supposed to spend the rest of his life with. As much time as he'd burned watching the world from Carlos' eyes, he was still a stranger. Hank's future, as he'd mapped it out, already warped to take shape around this man and a million unknowns.

But the tension in his shoulderes softened when their gaze locked across the room. Carlos looked… happy. Happy to See him. A wide, genuine smile fanned over his face. The hopeful spark in dark eyes caught Hank off guard, his posture straightening as the younger man approached. Hank’s tight exhale escaped through pursed lips. Reaching out his hand to take Carlos’.

Had he been drinking? The smell of rain and alcohol wafted with the warmth of his body. Maybe that explained the brightness in his eyes… He couldn't blame him. Hank's thumb on Carlos' knuckles grazing fresh scrapes. The bruises on his face had faded. The burns were appropriately dressed. WhiteCell bandage peeled faintly at the edges. It did not mean the emotional wounds were any less fresh.

The frown that wanted to crease his brow softened. Now- was not the time. The gleam of the diamond ring that sat against bare skin a reminder of the promises he’d already made. “Stay still.” His utter low, the chain at Carlos' neck caught on his fingers and tucked beneath his shirt. The ring slipped out of sight. Steady hands deftly fastening the two top buttons and straightening the collar. His hand lifted automatically to smooth a stray lock of hair by Carlos' ear. His nod of approval small. “Better.”

It was surreal. As he spoke his vows the future, with this stranger, yawned underneath his feet. He meant to keep every word, as much as he had the first time. Till death do us part. The intention was true. But what of his real capacity to uphold them? Assigned a stranger, a man, and told to care for, if not love him. Carlos' dark eyes looking at him like he held the fucking candle. "-to have and to hold. To cherish above all others."

Could he really be the man that Carlos needed? Blinking his surprise as the ceremony was wrapped up fast and the attendees began to scatter for the reception.

Pierce
Hank

He tugged at the cufflinks on his shirt. His best man reaching a hand to his back with the swell of classical violin. A soft breeze cooling nervous sweat on his skin.

Then there she was. Alone on the grassy aisle. And she took his breath away. An angel in cascades of soft while lace, her hair filled with a bouquet of wildflowers. Tugging a sudden sting to the corners of his blue eyes. Beautiful.

Carlos stood out amongst the crowd of glamorously dressed men and women. Not just for the faint creases in his rain damp clothes, but for the uniform. Sharp cut lines of formal dress that Hank understood to be saved for parade and those other occasions. Like a funeral. LEO insignia unmistakable and the natural confidence in the way he moved an uneasy reminder that did nothing to settle the thud of Hank’s pulse.

This was the man he was supposed to spend the rest of his life with. As much time as he'd burned watching the world from Carlos' eyes, he was still a stranger. Hank's future, as he'd mapped it out, already warped to take shape around this man and a million unknowns.

But the tension in his shoulderes softened when their gaze locked across the room. Carlos looked… happy. Happy to See him. A wide, genuine smile fanned over his face. The hopeful spark in dark eyes caught Hank off guard, his posture straightening as the younger man approached. Hank’s tight exhale escaped through pursed lips. Reaching out his hand to take Carlos’.

Had he been drinking? The smell of rain and alcohol wafted with the warmth of his body. Maybe that explained the brightness in his eyes… He couldn't blame him. Hank's thumb on Carlo’s knuckles grazing fresh scrapes. The bruises on his face had faded. The burns were appropriately dressed. WhiteCell bandage peeled faintly at the edges. It did not mean the emotional wounds were any less fresh.

The frown that wanted to crease his brow softened. Now- was not the time. The gleam of a diamond ring that sat against bare skin a reminder of the promises he’d already made. “Stay still.” His utter low, the chain at Carlo’s neck caught on his fingers and tucked beneath his shirt. The ring slipped out of sight. Steady hands deftly fastening the two top buttons and straightening the collar. His hand lifted automatically to smooth a stray lock of hair by Carlos ear. His not of approval small. “Better.”

It was surreal. As he spoke his vows the future, with this stranger, yawned underneath his feet. He meant to keep every word, as much as he had the first time. Till death do us part. The intention was true. But what his real capacity to uphold them? Assigned a stranger, a man, and told to care for, if not love him. Carlos' dark eyes looking at him like he held the fucking candle. "-to have and to hold. To cherish above all others."

Could he really be the man that Carlos needed? Blinking in surprise as the ceremony was wrapped up fast and the attendees began to scatter for the reception.

coded by reveriee.

Last edited:
There was no hiding behind the colour that bloomed across Vix’ face. The first real thing Con had read on the green-haired man, and damn if he weren’t the one who put it there. An irrepressible smile creeping into his cheek. It was all sorts a' sweet, Vix hand on his arm, talking like he worried for Con's wellbeing. "Don't you worry 'bout me, baby green. I danced with death more times n' most." But of course, other than a picture of his uniform, Vixtor couldn't know nothin' about that.

Whatever wall he felt he'd broken? It was short lived. It only took a moment and that glimpse of Vixtor seemed to vanish like a ghost. Reatreted behind walls that Connor couldn't breach. What had he said? Doubt creeping into his chest. Like a lost dog as he followed along behind his new partner.

Ain't many people looked happy to be here. China blue skulled her Champagne like a champion next to Gucci, and the tension between three women coulda cut like a knife. Only the guy taking handfuls of cake looked like he knew how to have a good time. Instantly knowing YouTube sensation Chad Burton as the man flashed teeth like a shark in a fishpond.

But he didn't look long. Drawn as Vixtor peeled away from his side and headed, no word, towards the johns. God damn! What was he missing!? "Woah, hey. Wait up!" Taking two wide strides to fall in beside him. A hand, feather light, to the small of his back.

Brow creased, Connor searched his face. "There somethin' you gotta tell me?" The puzzle pieces just weren't coming together. First, Vixtor telling him to get out if he could. And then- “But maybe I should promise to keep you safe, too. If I could.” Had he mistook a warning for romantic intent? "You in some kinda trouble?"

CARLOS WESSON
Wesson felt good. Though, good was not the right word, sedating the pain also suppressed most of the nervousness and doubt. But didn't muffle the yearning. Growing in his chest and swelling in his abdomen ever since…I haven't been able to think about anything else. Than Carlos.

God damn. He didn't even know the man, the doctor. Yet he built an image in his head and he grew to really like it. To care for it. The diamond ring leaned against his bare torso burning skin. Burning like holding a girl's hand for the first time. Like stealing a kiss from a guy you had a crush on. The good kind of burning.

There was nothing but anticipation reflected in his glossy eyes. Turning the corner of his lips into a perpetual, soft smile as he sauntered down the hall and through the door to the ballroom. His gaze swam from face to face until it suspended on Hank. Smile growing wider. No words as their eyes met and the doctor grasped his hand.

Carlos squeezed it and feeling the thumb touching his reddened knuckles he glanced down. Reminded of the situation a few hours past. Staying still except for the occasional rocking of his shoulders, the officer watched his fiancee fix his shirt and the disobedient tuft of hair. He couldn't help but smile.

"Better." He repeated after Hank. "Now, that you're here."

Listening intently to the vows that followed, to the voice that carried the conviction, the promise.

To cherish above all others.

Time lost on the meaning. Carlos didn't think of it, it's like his hand reached up on its own. His fingers curled against the smooth shave, cupping the side of man's jaw. Caressing it with his thumb.

Entranced by how it felt to touch Hank, bold and unrestricted by a sober thought, Carlos wanted to kiss him. But the vows continued and he repeated after the official. Every word and breath timed like he would speak to a cadence. But the words didn't matter. It's the personal meaning behind them, it's the way he couldn't look away from Hank's eyes that…

Carlos heard the official's last line but he didn't listen. He leaned in and kissed Hank's cheek. Lingering there.

With the alcohol buzz wavering he closed his eyes tight. "I'm sorry I'm drunk."

He meant it but that was the only recognition he was letting in, to not ruin the moment. To keep the flashbacks out. To keep his dead brother out of that experience. He couldn't bear having him in his mind right now.

Wesson pulled back and smiled gently, finishing his vows with an individual touch. "Even once I'm too much and you want to throw things at me… I can take it." He smirked. "I got my exo-armor in the house."

The honey shine flooded the space soon after and Carlos looked at the table with a bright smile. Laughing as his stomach loudly grumbled. He didn't eat anything substantial yet that day. "Cake?" His eyes gleamed as he looked at Hank like an excited child.

But his gaze was stolen, following the laughter coming from the green haired groom and pinning to the tattooed guy by the cake, feeding his spouse. He couldn't help but laugh too, it looked like something he'd enjoy but something told him Hank might not like it... "Looks like we got a funny bunch." He skimmed the faces and his eyes went wider seeing the woman knocking back drinks.

"Woah, Vida?"

Wesson began to approach her and her husband but he glanced over shoulder to Hank like to prompt him to come along. Then he gave Vida a once over, smiling. "Damn, girl. Last time I saw you..." He started lightly laughing at the memory.
THE COP

“Perhaps,” Anya agreed, following after the woman like a lost puppy as they made their way towards the tables laden with food and drink, both of which contained far too much of either for the measly group gathered there. Idly, Anya wondered what the organisers would do with the excess food; donate it to those in need, or throw it out without a second thought? One answer was far more likely than the other.

“Tara.” Anya murmured the name under her breath, trying out the way it felt on her tongue. Anya and Tara. It fit, didn’t it? At least verbally. Two compact names for two seemingly compact women, although Anya didn’t doubt that the woman before her contained multitudes, all just simmering away beneath the surface. If Anya was lucky enough - if she played her cards right - perhaps she would be allowed to catch a glimpse.

“To us! And this appalling excuse for a wedding.” Anya accepted the glass of champagne from Tara with a chuckle, and raised it in the air as a toast. A deep red quickly coloured her cheeks at the follow-up compliment, causing her to dip her head in shyness, breaking any eye contact.

“Thank you and, um, right back at you.” Could she have given a more lackluster response? Probably not. The pair had been together for mere minutes, and already Anya was making a complete tit of herself, appearing disinterested when in reality she was the exact opposite. At this rate, Tara would take her for an absolute idiot.

Taking a large sip of her champagne, Anya took a step forward to reduce the gap between the newfound couple, her free hand reaching out to grasp lightly at one of the lapels of Tara’s suit. The velvet was smooth beneath the pads of her fingertips.

“I feel the same. I…you…well, you’re…you look beautiful. And I’m really glad that you managed to make it, despite everything you have going on. That means a lot.”

Screenshot_20221025_090218_com.android.gallery3d.png

Chad Burton

His boisterous laughter echoed in the cavernous room. What a silly thing Vivian was. He wrapped his arm around thin waist and pulled the other to his side. "Always. From now on it's always me, Birdie." He glanced at the cake in his hand and gestured it into the void, mimicking the official's antics. "To eternityyyy!"

Burton grinned at Vivian and letting go he took a bite of the treat from his hand. "Oh fuk." He grunted and spat it right back. His face screwed in in disgust as he wiped the cake off his palm onto some plate. Then blatantly cleaned his fingers with the edge of the tablecloth.

Glancing at the others he grabbed a knife and asked, showing his teeth. "Who wants some?"

The people seemed busy and for some reason not interested in the treat he advertized so expressively. So he snatched a new plate and cut a slice from the untouched side. One could think he was heading to Vivian with it but he only wheeled his partner around so they'd face Tara and Anya, smirking to them. "Mind keeping an eye on him?"

He didn't wait for an answer, marching toward Sona with a spark of interest twinkling in his bright eyes. "Trick or treat."

He plopped in the seat beside her and offered the plate. Acting like he was only there for the people watching, yet he asked. "What's your story?"

Vida's confusion didn't seem to help Stephen's current feelings about the woman at all. She couldn't even address the back and forth signals she had been putting out there. Before he knew it she was chugging away at champagne. At least they were on the same page about one thing. There was no way of getting through this night sober.

Stephen did hear her request for something stronger. "Yeah me too" he muttered sounding pretty displeased. So with that he headed to the bar looking to the poor employee who had to watch the train wreck that was unfolding "Two double shots of vodka" he requested. Once the liquor was produced he pulled out a twenty dollar bill for tip leaving it before going back to his bride. "Cheers" he said with a fake sarcasm. He handed one shot to Vida before taking down his own shot.

Their shared drink was interrupted by the cop walking up. Someone Stephen knew due to his job, but he was also aware of what he did outside of work too. And he seemed to not only know Vida but also clearly drunk. He didn't want to act like he knew officer Wesson. "Excuse you? How do you know her?" He asked hoping the drunken state wouldn't mean Carlos would blow Stephen's secret about who he was, and what his job was.

Last edited:
"Cheers to that" Tara laughed a bit definitely hating the whole idea of this process regardless of her current motives. She raised her own glasses letting them touch with a nice 'clink.'

She noticed Anya seemed a bit shy and flustered. It did raise up a little bit of guilt. However she knew what she was doing had a bigger reason. What was one broken heart versus valuable information that could help a lot of people? She quickly took her own big swig from the champagne as well.

The other girls' next actions took her by suprise. She looked down at the hand that was feeling the fabric of her suit. "Thank you" she said softly. "I am glad I could too" she went to drink a little bit more. Before she could continue their conversation the tattooed man seemingly dumped his match to go off to the only person sitting alone in the room currently.

Tara seemed dumbfounded as to exactly what just happened. Plus there had been no time to respond. "Umm hey?" She seemed unsure looking to the red head who almost seemed in a daze "you okay?" She questioned not sure perhaps if something dramatic had happened that she possibly missed.

Unfamiliar hands pretending at intimacy seemed to be everyone's game, by Sona's observation. She was trying to avoid just watching Anya- what, was she going to be jealous over someone she'd known for five minutes?- but she kept finding her eyes tracing their way back to the pair, and seeing their actions on every couple. So when one groom approached with an offering of cake, she was startled back into her own body, blinking as she looked at just who had decided to join her and leave their spouse behind.

And of course it was the meathead who had been playing around with the cake. "Um," Sona responded, because her thoughts were all over the place. For one, she probably shouldn't be thinking of this man as a meathead; that was shallow and rude, she chided herself. For another, why was he here? It was mostly the latter that occupied her mind, but she sat up and wrested control back from the confusion. "Think I'm supposed to be the one asking for the trick. Or treat," she said, and nodded at the cake that he had brought over. He had to know that she wasn't going to touch that, no matter how unmarred it looked, right?

There was still icing smeared around his fingernails, although an effort had evidently been made to clean his hands. "Oh, nothing exciting myself. My attendence at this state-run wedding is mandatory, though apparently my mystery spouse got the okay to not be here. Or at our first date the other night." She wrinkled her nose. "Couldn't muck up government decisions by waiting til all participants of the relationship were available, I suppose," she added, then gave the man a sideways look. "Sona, by the way," she continued. She made no attempt to take the offered cake. "And what about you? Marrying your true love of a decade, I hope?"

In Stephen's absence, Vida chugged a 3rd glass of champagne just to be sure. She grimaced at the bubbles going down, putting a hand to her mouth as she swallowed an unsightly belch, hoping it wouldn't sneak back up. "Cheers," Stephen said, approaching her with two double shots of vodka and handing her one. She grimaced again, taking it from him. "I hope I can get this down," she muttered to herself.

"Damn girl," a familiar - and slightly slurred - voice called out from behind her. Vida's eyes widened and she knocked back the shot before she could hesitate, screwing up her face at the effort to keep the alcohol from coming back up - along with that burp. Coughing at the burn she turned to face the voice. Dammit, he had recognized her. Last time Carlos had seen her she was pretty sure she had been naked underneath him. Or maybe on top. But her new husband really didn't need to know that, she thought with a wide eyed glance at Stephen. Please don't say anything, she silently pleaded to the cop, though she didn't have much faith with Carlos's already inebriated state. She had done her walk of shame before he had woken up and hadn't seen the man since. He had been one of her better lovers in a series of one night stands as she tried to coax out those feelings everybody seemed to have but her, but ultimate she had decided those quick flings just didn't do it. She'd had a hard time facing any of the men (and few women) since and had given most of them the cold shoulder out of her own guilt and embarrassment.

"Heyyyyy," she said, plastering a smile to her face, eyes flickering to the silver fox that trailed behind the handsome cop. "What a coincidence! And this must be your now husband. Congratulations." Vida leaned into Stephen's side - not because she was already beginning to feel light headed, she told herself - and pulled her gaze up to the face of the well-dressed man beside her. "Stephen, this is Carlos. We know each other from... my work." Not exactly a lie. They had met at the bar.

The red of Anya’s cheeks only deepened at Tara’s response. Although the other woman didn’t seem thrilled to be there - who was, at this point? - there was a softness underlying her tone that felt to Anya like an opening, a chance for something to blossom. This could work. She would make it work.

As her mouth fell open to suggest the pair move to a table to get to know each other, an unexpected guest was deposited at their side, courtesy of the tattooed cake destroyer. Great. Anya’s eyes followed his beeline across the room, narrowing in suspicion as he honed in on his target: Sona. Anya’s feet began to move before she could stop them, and it was only the sound of Tara’s tentative question that made her pause mid-step and swivel back into the conversation.

It was true that even if they’d barely exchanged a couple of sentences, Anya had felt a connection with Sona and instinctively wanted to go to her aid - but Sona was not her match. Tara was, and Tara needed her here, by her side with their new companion. Despite the guilt gnawing at her stomach, now was not the time to go and play hero.

“Hey,” Anya’s eyes turned to Vivian, warm and encouraging. “I’m Anya, and this is Tara. You’ve, uh, got an interesting partner. How are you finding it?”

It was still relatively early in the day, and yet Haru’s world was spinning and crashing in a multitude of swirls and technicolour. Had she already overdone it? Maybe, but fuck - it was her wedding day, supposedly the happiest and greatest day of her life, and she had only made the decision to show up forty-five minutes ago.

You’ve been matched. When the little notification had popped up on her phone, Haru’s knee-jerk instinct had been to wiggle her way out of it as soon as humanly possible. The MarryMe app had been a gun to her head for as long as she could remember, and whilst she had attempted to find a spouse of her choosing…well, it just hadn’t worked out. Haru was not meant for marriage, not meant for monogamy; she was built for freedom, for partying, for one-night stands sans the expectation of commitment or of even exchanging phone numbers. She knew her world had to come crashing down around her eventually, just like it did for everyone - but she thought she’d have just a little bit more time.

It was easy enough to find an excuse to skip the first date and wedding ceremony. As soon as Haru had been notified, she had gone out and gone out hard, drinking and snorting more than she had in nigh on a decade. The result was alcohol poisoning and a wicked hangover, bad enough to get her hospitalised and a genuine medical exemption for her wedding.

They had let her out that very morning, with a recommendation of bedrest for the next week. But this wasn’t Haru’s first rodeo - ‘recommendation’ just meant friendly advice, and anyone who gave her unwarranted counsel could fuck off. Haru would do as she pleased…and as she pleased meant scratching the very itch she had been desperately trying to avoid. Because she had been unable to attend the first date, Haru knew nothing about her partner; not their age, gender, occupation, sexuality - not even what they looked like, and it was driving her to insanity! Who had she been matched with? Who was she destined to spend the rest of her miserable life chained to? Would they hate her just as much as she already detested them?

A master at making last-minute plans, it had only taken Haru twenty minutes to throw together an outfit and get ready, leaving her just enough time to grab a bottle of whiskey and commute to the wedding venue. Just because she didn’t want to get married didn’t mean she wouldn’t look hot doing so; Haru wore a white strapless jumpsuit, corseted and constructed from thick cotton, paired with white strappy five inch heels which took her overall height to 6’2”. Her thick brown hair cascaded in waves down her back, and the sleeve on her left arm was on full display, a homage to her Japanese roots with koi fish and crashing black waves.

Twenty-five minutes later, Haru stumbled into the main reception of the building, making a beeline for the toilets so she could fix her make-up (or vomit) before making her grand entrance. She slowed down at the sound of voices, and was surprised to find a large man frowning down at another in a green suit with green hair. There was no way to avoid them, not with the way her heels had been striking the tiled floor with force, so she raised her hand in an awkward greeting.

“Hi. Uh, are you two…are you here for the wedding?”

What kind of venue didn’t have an attached bathroom? Vix was sure that perhaps it was just one of those restrooms with the confusing signs, like a donut and a churro instead of the more standard icons, but he couldn’t find them anywhere. Or maybe there were the individual ones, the kind that they wouldn’t have had in a common-

“Huh?” Snapped out of his thoughts by the wide hand on his back and the concern in his husband’s voice, Vix let himself come to a stop in the hallway. Taking a quick inventory of the entrance hall, he could see a few armed guards posted at the venue’s entrance, and mildly wondered what would happen if he tried to make an actual run for it. Gaze falling back onto Connor’s face, Vix chuckled a bit sheepishly to himself with a shrug, before putting a bit more space between them so he could laugh in earnest.

“No, no, it’s nothing like that,” he returned dryly, eyes twinkling in mirth. “I just… I mean, did you see the way that guy just dug into the cake like that? Man, I knew when I met him he was an asshole, but that…” Takes the cake? Even with the absurdity of the situation, he couldn’t bring himself to make such a shitty pun. Maybe the guards would hear him and take him out even if he wasn’t breaking the rules. So instead, Vix just allowed himself to laugh a bit more, as awkward as he felt about doing so in front of the stranger he was married to.

It was easier to compose himself when Connor asked him something more serious, if he was in trouble. “Well, isn’t everyone nowadays? Your profile said you were military, right?” Another reminder that there was more to Connor than it seemed. Vix never worked with the armed forces firsthand, and even during his time at Horti-couture, stayed more on the research than the sales side. But even if the clients’ names were hidden from the scientists, it didn’t take a genius to figure out when a custom order would only have been made by an army of some kind.

Reaching out for the other’s wrist, not to merely hold it, but instead to try and inspect the larger man’s veins, Vix froze at the sounds of urgent high heels. Oh, was that announcer back? Maybe they weren’t supposed to leave the reception area at all.

Instead, though, it was a different woman, one with tattoos and without the robotic vocal inflection. The volunteer let his hands fall to his sides, any inkling of holding his spouse’s wrists forgotten. “Um, yeah.” He told the newcomer disinterestedly, slowly letting his walls fall back into place. “Or, we were, at least. You’re a little late. Or early, I guess, if there’s another one of these scheduled soon.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back